[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

e-reader nihongo and manga

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: sakamoto-11.jpg (428KB, 1900x1425px) Image search: [Google]
sakamoto-11.jpg
428KB, 1900x1425px
What is a good e-reader model for Japanese learning textbook PDFs and manga?

Japanese learning textbooks tend to be small (around 10inches) and have no color or complex diagrams. Manga tends to be small anyway, so I imagine resolution is what's important for that.
I've stocked up on yuki-nezumi's releases and theyre amazing..
>>
I forget what its called but i bought a japanese e-reader off ebay for $20, kobo something

If you have $150-200 to spend just get whatever the newest model of that is.
>>
>>14649705
Kobo Aura HD/H2O.
>>
>>14649824
really nice. did you get really lucky or is that just how older models go for?

>>14649866
what makes the Kobo Aura stand out from, say, the Icarus Illlumina HD or Energy Systems or something?
>>
Unrelated but I also have some Japanese learning scans.. Some of them are poor though, slanted scans that are kind of offcentered.. Can PDF software correct that some and auto center stuff?

I've never used an e-reader so I dont know if the software on them supports things like that easily or if I would have to go and correct all my scans.
>>
>>14649824
Is furigana hard to read on that? That's my main fear bout getting an ereader for JP studies
>>
>>14649991
Reminder that Icarus readers are rebranded Onyx readers and if you want firmware that isnt outdated and shit you can use the firmware for the corresponding Onyx model for your Icarus e-reader.

With that out of the way i have an Icarus Excel. Its kinda slow but the large screen makes it absolutely perfect for reading Manga.

However the new model of the one i have is overprized as fuck. Especially if you want he touchscreen version.
Id recomend the Pocketbook Inkpad instead. Its 8 inch and has a LED light.
It goes for about 199 bucks.
>>
>>14650375
While looking for a good model I've found that it seems alot of models are just the same device but rebranded, maybe a different casing, etc.

The Icarus Excel looks amazing, but I can't seem to find one.. Onyx are over $300 or so and really my budget is around $200 max.

I guess I know the answer already, but is there a decent 8-inch or more e-reader for ~$150? Im guessing no.

thanks for the post
>>
>>14650534
My Aura HD cost <$120, if I recall correctly, but they don't seem to sell them anymore, just H2O models, which are beyond that (although 30s on ebay suggests they aren't as difficult to get as, say, a clip+).

To address >>14649991: back when I bought my first device (a Kobo Touch), I chose it because it didn't have as many useless, expensive mis-features (like playing music) as the competition, and because it was completely usable without making an account on some site or installing some special, bullshit software.

The Touch lasted for about three years of heavy use, and the resolution was slightly too small for me to read manga on comfortably. The Aura HD (which I bought about a year ago) has, so far, been an upgrade in every way, and I consider it usable for manga.
>>
Can anyone in /jp/ tell me if furigana is readable on a 6in e-reader???
>>
>>14649991
I got lucky but they usually go for under $75, it's just a barebones budget ereader but it gets the job done for simple things. If I was going to get another one I'd definitely get a fancier one with a backlight and everything because that shit is useless if you don't have the light on.
>>14650307
Depends on the quality of the scans but at best you'll have to squint to see it, and at worse you won't be able to see if even when you're zoomed in.
>>
>>14652492
Are you talking about the Aura HD? Mine has a backlight.
>>
>>14652503
It's not the HD, i'm pretty sure it's the kobo ereader touch.
>>
File: Icarus Illumina HD Angle.jpg (80KB, 800x641px) Image search: [Google]
Icarus Illumina HD Angle.jpg
80KB, 800x641px
>>14650375
>Reminder that Icarus readers are rebranded Onyx readers
Is this true for the illumina as well? I can confirm its default firmware is pretty shitty.
>>
>>14650534
The Icarus Excel is an old model. Theres a follow up but its overprized for what it offers.

The problem is that very few manufactures are making e-readers bigger than 6 inch (And 6 inch sucks for Manga. Believe me i tried.) that have e-ink screens so you options are limited.

Like i said the Pocketbook InkPad is the best you are gonna get on your budget: http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/products/pocketbook-inkpad

>>14652600
Looks like that one is a rebranded Boyue T61.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ICARUS_Illumina

I'd recommend keeping an eye on the forums there for that device. Its where i found the much better firmware for my Excell.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.