[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language Learning - /lang/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 21

File: language_list.png (42KB, 453x851px) Image search: [Google]
language_list.png
42KB, 453x851px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous thread: >>76149653
>>
>link to Telegram group
>>
>>76252490
about a2 i think
>>
>>76252620
Did you use Turkish Tea Time podcast?
>>
Hello. I want to learn Spanish. I've been using Duolingo and then I stole Pimsleur. My problem is time, I only have the end of the day when I'm exhausted.

What are some reasonable goals I can set for myself?
>>
>>76252877
yeah only the few free ones though
>>
File: langs.png (70KB, 455x854px) Image search: [Google]
langs.png
70KB, 455x854px
>>76252498
Post your charts /lang/
>>
>>76195604
>>76245669
>>76252242
>>76252294
Nice, thank you lads.
>>
>>76253586
so what if it's not shaded at all

what does that mean

qué significa eso
>>
>>76252498
I wanna learn Russian and Arabic
>>
>>76253978
It means I might want to learn it in the future
>>
So, how does Anki work? Do you need to download custom card decks?
>>
File: 1497755520045.png (477KB, 785x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1497755520045.png
477KB, 785x1031px
>>76254265
Original Russian /int/ chart creator here. I can create a Vietnamese one if you guys like, I would like to fill out the other languages in due time, but I obviously can only make charts for languages I'm learning or have learned. If I see other people making charts (as Turkbro did in previous thread), then I'll make a Viet chart.

He said he used Paint, I personally used an online flowchart creator. It looked like something Google would've made. It was pretty simple to use. Also, if I was going to add one thing to this Russian chart, it would be Lingvist - which compliments Duolingo very well.
>>
Italiano, and now I'm trying to learn some cyrillic as fast as I can because I'm going to Belarus
>>
>>76255183
What languages do you know/learning?
>>
>>76255302
I am fluent in English. I am intermediate in Spanish and Russian. I am a beginner level in Viet. I am self-taught for all but Spanish, I took that for 4 years in school.
>>
>>76255183
Hocитeль языкa хepe. Boт тeбe cтpecc-тecт нa вшивocть твoих пoзнaний:

a нy-кa, дpyжoк ты мoй любeзный, paccкaжи, пoчeмy нe пpoчёл дo cих пop Гpaд Oбpeчeнный AБCoвcкий.

A eщe paccкaжи-кa, кaк пpaвильнee пepeвecти "paмcы пoпyтaл" нa инглиш
>>
File: 1497023730778.jpg (132KB, 850x839px) Image search: [Google]
1497023730778.jpg
132KB, 850x839px
>>76255389
>intermediate in Russian
NERERMIND
>>
>>76255183
Pls make a Vietnamese chart

Why did you start learning the language?
>>
>>76255598
Gf's family, southern accent. I'll make a chart if I see some others made.
>>76255549
Nice try. I'll have that much down by Christmas.
>>
>>76255763
don't listen to this poor sod's recommendations. You are seriously rather better server just watching familiar movied, dubbed in Russian with russian subtitles enabled.
>>
>>76255838
>server just watching familiar movied
served by just watching familiar movies
>>
File: languages2.png (45KB, 534x1021px) Image search: [Google]
languages2.png
45KB, 534x1021px
>>76253586
>>
>>76255838
yeah movies do a really good job teaching tenses and aspect thx
>>
https://pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
>more resources
>>
>>76244701
You're probably having problems with the intonation. Try listening while paying attention to that, and just practice. I found this vid that talks about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Hs3ktQXao

And I don't know if you're talking with an American r, but that will definitely make you sound retarded. If you want to post a recording I can check if I notice something else.
>>
>>76253037
Are you still here? I could upload all of it for you if you want.
>>
>>76253586
>>76255990
So is it 600 hours to fluent? So if I want to learn Spanish from scratch, I should figure about two years to be fluent if I practice for about an hour a day? (I realize it's less for 600 hours, but figuring some fiddle room in there)
>>
Does Duolingo teach grammar concepts?
>>
>>76261693
Yes. The website that is.
>>
>>76261799
Thank you.
>>
>>76252038
Thanks Rusbro it'd be really useful if I had someone to talk to in Russian or at least explain some of the confusing shit to me. The cases are killing me.
>>
Gonna upload both Turkish Teatime podcast and TurkishClass101, get them while it's hot. I'll delete it probably in the coming days.
(in a few hours it will be uploaded)
>>
>mom is Italian
>spent many summers in Italy
>understand ~90% spoken Italian
>terrible at speaking myself
>no grammar knowledge

How do I become fluent? I was thinking of just moving there for a while, assume that would work well but what can I do on my own? I can understand words but not think of the same ones when I wanna speak myself
>>
https://mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0

Turkish Teatime Podcast
>>
>>76264083
Watch italian media and really focus. Find italians to speak to. You could even ask mama.
>>
File: erdogan_hitler650.jpg (37KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
erdogan_hitler650.jpg
37KB, 650x366px
>>76264486
https://mega.nz/#!Dc9kgQzQ!go7cEDqCm8HgCervvdFMzPl7sSggp3eHNzJh5O8KqLU

Turkish Class 101 podcast

Links will be probably dead in a couple of days so feel free to post them in the coming threads.
>>
I'm thinking about giving German a go. Typical anglo problem in that i can't stick to a language but i've never tried German.

>>76264083

Buy a grammar book and speak more.
>>
File: o.jpg (56KB, 564x698px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
56KB, 564x698px
What do you think of Esperanto, /lang/?
>>
>>76267453
Useless as fuck, only for people who are too afraid to learn a real language.
>>
I took classes in Latin and Spanish years ago and hated both. I thought I had forgotten everything about both languages but now that I am teaching myself Portuguese(which I am loving so far and am showing actual interest) some of the shit I learned a long time ago is coming back to me and is helping me with some of these Portuguese words/phrases.
>>
>>76267600
>Useless
Everything apart from English could be called useless.
>>
>>76267852
Come on, a conlang is really useless.
Tell me how Interslav Lobjan and Folkspraak are doing.
>>
>>76267962
Again with that word. If we go with the practicality (usefulness) logic, nobody should learn anything apart from English (or even that).
>>
>>76267453
any romance language would provide the same advantage and also be more useful

esperanto is a meme
>>
I'm having a hard time finding media I like in German. At least with Spanish I had 20 other countries to pick if I didn't like one, and even with French and Russian I've managed to find music I like. Apart from a few German bands it seems most Germans like to listen to English music.
>>
>>76268343
I spent a lot of time searching for bearable German music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkMg_X9lHMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ocyk0OgyWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QGfnLIxXXs

Also Rammstein is not bad at all, I find some of their lyrics quite poetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmfLrhYF_E
>>
>>76261081
Nah that's just to get to a proficient level. You actually need to spend time using the language of you want to have near native level fluency.
>>
>>76252498
Trying to perfect my accent in Indonesian. Any tips?
>>
>>76268343
>>76268885
Look up for music with more vocal like HipHop (like Fettes Brot, Blumentopf, etc.) or solo songwriter (eg. Götz Widmann, Rainald Grebe...)
>>
how do I deal with the fact that spoken French is undecipherable?

do you cunts even know what you're saying?
>>
>>76272139
Try watching movies with French subtitles. Then as time passes you start learning all the things they do in spoken language. Like how they say things like "i'm'l'ont pas dit" but then the subtitles say "elles ne me l'ont pas dit" ('they didn't tell me').
>>
>>76252498

日本語
>>
>>76272139
This French sounds like a continuous stream. No breakage in words. Let alone ignoring 90% of consonant and just leaving e u ou oi sounds.
>>
File: 1491477638137.jpg (98KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491477638137.jpg
98KB, 750x500px
HELP I am traveling to France in 10 days and I need to brush up on my High School French, any good programs I could use? is Duolingo the best?
>>
None because languages barely come in handy when one has absolutely no friends to talk to.
>>
>>76275319
try and make some then
>>
>>76252944
I have the same problem..
>>
>>76274664
I like memrise better 2bh, but I've been using it for months not 10 days.
>>
>>76264486
>>76265555
How are your studies going btw, started to watch media by now?
>>
Hey /lang/ I used to write a blog on language resources, but stopped due to lack of time. It's basically massive lists of all resources on these languages (reading/listening/tv/courses/etc):

Arabic
Finnish
French
German
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish

http://www.weeklylanguage.com

I kind of want to start it up again but there must be a more efficient format than just listing all recourses available. Any tips?
>>
>>76277405
Your site looks good desu, I don't think there is anything other than posting resources one should do imo, unless you had experience with learning that language that is then you may give pointers and other stuff to help in the process of learning that language.
>>
>>76252944
>>76276182
Start off small, like 15-20 minutes a day, but everyday. At this point keeping consistent is the important thing and just add on time to revise old info as you go, alongside learning new things (which tends to be the exhausting part)
>>
>>76252944
Hey man, I'm kind of similar.

You have to look for smaller chunks of time spread out throughout your day, rather than on large chunk after work.

Whether it's when community to work, standing a queue, or whatever, you could listen to Pimsleur or do a bit of Duolingo for 5 minutes. That adds up.
>>
>>76261081
Proficient. I read somewhere that every hour also includes like 2-3 hours of self-study (since those given hours are class hours).
>>
>>76267453
My aunt is in some "esperanto club" or something but the effort probably isn't worth it.
>>
>>76281587
Hey Deutsch-bro,

Can you tell me what level of understanding a native speaker would have if someone did not include the reflexive pronoun in a sentence?

Aside from a few instances, they are very hard to translate into a natural sense, and I worry that I will forget when to include them.

For example:
Wir waschen uns die Hände mit Seife.

If I said 'Wir waschen die Hände mit Seife", would that imply I'm washing non-corporeal hands with soap?
>>
File: 1496630739323.jpg (64KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
1496630739323.jpg
64KB, 720x602px
where did English go so wrong?
>all of the most common verbs describing basic human actions like eating, speaking, writing etc. are completely irregular
>every vowel makes like 20 different sounds
>two instances of the same letter can make different sounds within the same word
>every "rule" is broken more often than it ever applies
The more I learn about other languages the more sympathy I have for people who need to learn English as a second language
>>
>>76283012
It was probably more regular before it got raped by French

English is so irregular that it would be better to learn it through context and sentences rather than learning the actual rules.
>>
>>76278874
Thanks for the advice, i am going to apply what you said
>>
>>76278874
Thanks, anon! Will do!
>>
>>76255990
Perchè stai studiando l'italiano?
>>
>>76279154
>You have to look for smaller chunks of time spread out throughout your day, rather than on large chunk after work.
>Whether it's when community to work, standing a queue, or whatever, you could listen to Pimsleur or do a bit of Duolingo for 5 minutes. That adds up.
Thank you. What I'm thinking of doing is 10min at lunch (I take a really short lunch break), then the rest at night, then maybe some more on the weekends.

>>76279168
Oh shit, so it's more like 1800 hours? Yikes. Oh well, better get moving. I might keep a bit of a log. I track my weight every day, might as well track my study hours too.
>>
>>76277405
>http://www.weeklylanguage.com
just correct this: Come stai? / Come state? (polite)
into this: Come stai? / Come sta? (polite)
>>
>>76255183
I think I will start doing this from the beginner.Starting from now, saved the picture.
thank you man for making this
>>
Hello /lang/ new around here
Is Duolingo enough to get the basics of a language before hopping on proper courses?
>>
>>76284657
What language you had in mind?
>>
>>76284742
German
I'm pretty good in English and know some Latin from high school, so I shouldn't have a hard time
>>
>>76284657
Seems like the general suggestion is to try a bunch of stuff and see what works for you. No one tool covers it all. That said, could certainly start with Duolingo.
>>
>>76284657
>>76284909

Together with Memrise it's a good place to start

Further on Lingvist and Clozemaster are really good for more "realistic" or more natural sentences so you can learn things in context.

I especially like Lingvist's grammar explanations
>>
>>76285656
How's lingvist for Russian, do you know?

I've just been using duolingo and memrise but all I've really learned is vowels and verbs I can't really construct a sentence longer than three words yet.
>>
>>76285656
How is Memrise different than Duolingo?

I see it can be used offline, which is nice because I'm on airplanes a lot and too cheap to pay for the wifi.
>>
What are some good resources for Polish?
>>
File: чё.jpg (49KB, 716x724px) Image search: [Google]
чё.jpg
49KB, 716x724px
>>76283550
>English is so irregular
>>
>>76286004
Duolingo's sentences can be a bit too simplistic so I mostly just use them like vocab flashcards

Memrise throws in a few sentences per "level" (not sure if it's in all courses) that give you a better glimpse of grammar structures. They also have have clips on the browser version where natives read them out.

As far as I've seen though (I'm doing German 7) Memrise doesn't seem to have a place that explains grammar at all? Duolingo at least does that in the browser version
>>
>>76286353
What about Pimsleur? I stole that but haven't tinkered with it yet. I remember trying Rosetta Stone when I was younger and not having much success from it, but perhaps that was my motivation and not the software.
>>
>>76286122
Honestly, just find a native speaker to practice with, Duolingo is a joke that is pushed mostly by retarded americans learning their first languages having absolutely no clue about linguistics in general.
>>
Any tips for French? I use Duolingo but it's really simplistic. I want something to help me get used to how the language sounds.
>>
>>76286694
Watch the movie Raw and other French films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlXVX2af_Y

Seems like movies, radio and tv would be a great way to learn how a langauge sounds.
>>
>>76285762
I haven't tried it yet but a couple of anons in the previous threads have recommended it for Russian, but it's one of the newer courses on Lingvist so there's still improvement going on

>>76286403
I haven't tried it sorry. I'm more of a visual learner so I never looked into using it.

I've looked through some reviews for you though and it's not a bad start to practice listening and speaking. Learning to speak under pressure is plenty handy, as with all languages, but especially with German

Wouldn't rely on it as the only tool though (as with any language learning tool really)
>>
>>76286830
Thanks. I'll watch that.
>>
>>76286924
Also check out Blue is the Warmest Color and Améile. You might want to make a thread on /tv/ asking for more recs in French. I'm not a regular there but, caught at the right time, /tv/ has helped me find some nice things to watch.
>>
>>76287023
The faggot mods on /tv/ will often just delete requests and tell you to fuck off to /r/
>>
>>76287456
I've made threads that have lasted asking for recommendations of movies covering specific topics or genres and they've been fine with it. It's such a shitpost board that any reasonable attempt at a decent thread the mods seem to keep.
>>
>>76287023
I've watched Blue is the Warmest Color. Such a garbage movie. I'll make sure to watch Amelie.
>>
Reminder: Those who cannot speak Gaeilge will be executed once President Adams ascends to the Throne of the Union of the Irish Republic and the European Dependencies.
>>
Has duolingo changed something?
>>
>>76268120
not really
you can speak to locals, read literature, consume media
with stupid useless conlangs you can't do that even
>>
Hello again /lang/,

I'm from a Telegram community learning languages. Mostly it's /int/ related shitposting but we try to keep a focus on languages. If you'd like to join, here's the link:

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEP62geM2ndWNjOq4g
>>
I speak 4 languages. Ask me anything,
>>
>>76283796
Perché il mio ragazzo è italiano e vorrei potere parlare l'italiano quando sono in Italia.
>>
>>76293286
Is 31 too late for me to learn a second language? I'm so stupid, I hope it's possible.
>>
>>76293286
Which languages? English, French, Inuit, and Mandarin?
>>
>>76293517
Of course not. All you need is to practice well and practice daily. What language do you want to learn?
>>
>>76276447
Bad. Haven't really done anything lately. Hard time concentrating.
Thanks to you I started watching a tv series today, I was surprised how many words I could recognize. Ezel btw
>>
>>76293118
Updated link
https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEP62gfXUaAt19CQlQ
>>
>>76293742
Spanish. I'm a wageslave so can only practice at night, maybe 30min a day is what I can muster due to time. Sucks having all this time to shitpost at work, but it's hard to practice spanish because I can't have audio or speak into a microphone.
>>
>>76294030
Honestly, if you want to learn Spanish just learn what your local chicanos call Spanish. There's no point in learning properly unless you plan to travel/move.
>>
>>76294130
I work with Cubans, but Miami has a plethora of people from around the world. Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, Spain are probably the most common I run into. I do travel a lot also, but my biggest goal is to speak with the Cubans.

So during the day I can walk down and chat with them to practice, but I just started so not even good enough for that yet. I say "Buenos dias/tardes/noches" now and "como estas" and so forth... but can't hold a conversation. I just started learning like a week ago though.
>>
>>76294030
Surely there's something you can do to make use of that time at work, like studying grammar.
>>
>>76294030
>I can't have audio or speak into a microphone
You can do that at home
>>
>>76294382
A good idea would be to ask them to let you stick around while they speak. That way you can familiarise yourself with how they sound because if your main goal is speaking to them you will need to learn their quirks.
>>
>>76294473
>>76294545
I've been lurking in the /lat/ thread and translating with google translate.

>>76294565
Good excuse for me to be in the factory more. I have been trying to listen to them more. I'm also used to listening to Spanish because I've been here a while, so some words I've picked up, but, not enough to converse. I'm hoping a little bit of a boost is enough where I can start to chat with the workers. They are all very friendly and have known me for a long time so it's pretty approachable.
>>
>>76294621
You could always study a workbook and grammar book
>>
>>76294621
/lat/is absolute garbage for learning and the shitposting there isn't fun anymore. Nowadays it's just anime ERP. Don't waste your time there.

If you really want to get hispanic people to speak, ask them something about their country of origin, they will most likely love to tell you about it.
>>
>>76293286
I speak 6 languages. Ask me anything.
>>
>>76294838
Might get busted with an actual workbook. Gotta be something I can hide in a tab or on my phone.

>>76294841
Okay. Yeah I mean I'm such a beginning every word is new to me so lots to learn. Even "hilo"/thread was new to me.
>>
>>76294933
Which ones?
>>
>>76295750
English, German, French, Luxembourgish, Portuguese and Italian. Also note that I said speak.
>>
>>76295818
Okay, noted.
>>
>>76294933
How long did it take you to learn each? How much time per day did you spend on language when learning?

>>76295818
>Also note that I said speak.
Meaning you aren't fluent? How good are you with each?
>>
>>76284039
Remember, use Lingvist in your studies as well. This can replace the Princeton Russian course if you want. Depends on how much time you're willing to put into it.
>>
>>76296005
I can speak every single one on a native level. Or rather I could. I haven't used German and Luxembourgish in a long while, both in speech and in writing. I use English, Italian, Portuguese and French daily albeit in different occasions and medias but mostly with my family members.
So in CEFR levels it would be like this: B1(Italian); B2(Luxembourgish, German, French); C2 (English, Portuguese)
>>
When can you say you "know" a language? I am completely fluent in two languages but only about upper-intermediate in Spanish for input, about intermediate for output.
>>
Anyone have a guide to french? I feel kind of lost
>>
>>76296390
Explain how you reached native level in all of those.
>>
>>76296683
French, German and Luxembourgish were taught in schools.
English through media and the internet(Books, movies with subtitles and a dictionary, videos, video games, voice chats).
Italian is my native language and so is Portuguese, although since I'm currently in Brazil I've thoroughly learned it for several years.
>>
>>76272139
fuck you too I guess

>>76273884
every language is a continuous stream moron, even in english
>>
>>76296223
>Lingvist
Not that anon, but, this is pretty cool. I was the guy earlier looking for a silent way to add some practice at work for Spanish, and this looks like just the ticket.

Duolingo at home for 30min per night
Lingvist at work for 30min per day
Then some additional study time on weekends
Talking to Spanish speakers
>>
>>76282665
I guess the answer comes a bit late but maybe you'll still see it.

I think probably everyone who knows that you're not a native speaker would understand you, it just sounds a bit weird.
It kinda sounds like a general statement like for example when a restaurant says they are using ecologically produced eggs for their cakes, like "Unsere Kuchen werden mit Bio-Eiern gebacken".

I hope this example doesn't make it even worse, kek

It sounds like you are stating the "customs" of your family regarding washing hands.

Try to prevent this from happening, but it probably isn't that bad when it happens.
>>
File: 1484910444739.png (66KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1484910444739.png
66KB, 224x224px
>>76267453
>>
>>76283012
>all of the most common verbs describing basic human actions like eating, speaking, writing etc. are completely irregular
they're not irregular, it's just that strong verbs are dead in modern english. they're actually pretty regular.
>>
>>76283012
god forbid a foreigner has to learn the 50 irregular verbs that are left in the language. english has been dumbed down
>>
Never got to reply to the anon that was asking about my Lithuanian resources.

I watch and listen to LRT online on the times where I really wish to test my listening and general understanding of the grammar through TV shows, news, documentaries, etc. Auksinis Protas (evening) and Klauskite Daktaro (morning) are really fun shows.

For books I use the Hippocrene Practical Dictionary (which also goes through all the declensions, how the pronoun system works, tenses; all the fun stuff) and Colloquial Lithuanian which details the basics really well and goes into more detail in the summary at the end. Both also detail how to pronounce each letter as you expect.

I am currently reading Hunger Games in Lithuanian. It is a very simple book to read and features a lot of useful and fun words I find.

Lastly, I use an ap called eŽodynas which I find is kind of OP in that it not only is a dictionary for English and Lithuanian, it gives a bunch of examples for each, along with the declension you should use for each where relevant. It would be the first basic resource I would recommend although it costs like £4 a year to use.

Fairly complex but fun language to learn I think. I am really happy I decided to learn it.
>>
ya tú sabes
>>
>>76308645
que quiso decir aqui el americano?
>>
>>76308851
covfefe
>>
What's the most interesting part about the language you're learning so far?
>>
>>76267600
i don't like esperanto, but it must have at least some usefulness if people are still learning it.
>>
>>76311857
Korean: the cute alphabet that it easy as fuck but foreign enough to make me feel like I'm deciphering some code

Russian: how badass it sounds
>>
>>76313275
>Russian: how badass it sounds
I see that a lot, does it really sound manly to English speakers or that's just some psychological shit related to the dear leader?

To me it sounds gay and feminine.
>>
>>76313419
>I see that a lot, does it really sound manly to English speakers or that's just some psychological shit related to the dear leader?
the latter.
a lot of anglophones associate russian culture with masculinity and stuff for some reason, ergo they think that russian is epic sounding or whatever. the way you think a language sounds is gonna be entirely subjective and influenced by stereotypes anyway so whatevs.
>>
>>76311857
This more fits in with any language, but you start to see why native speakers in your target language make the mistakes that they do in English

I have German friends that always say "make a photo" or refer to a dining table as a desk

I also remember proofreading a friend's final thesis. We're both in the life sciences so I thought scientific writing in English in Germany couldn't be too different to how I did scientific writing

Nope, his German penchant for long sentences and love for commas showed when he wrote in English as well.
>>
>>76314335
>Nope, his German penchant for long sentences and love for commas showed when he wrote in English as well.
What's with Germans and (educated) Hispanics and long-ass sentences really? Also, why do the Chinese tend to do the opposite, writing in very short sentences?
>>
Anything else like Tatoeba?
I had been using it for help with binnish but it has been on maintenance for quite a while.
>>
Protip: Check out an app called "Beelingual" or something like that. It lets you read ebooks from two languages at once. It's pretty cool and has a lot of nifty features, just discovered it myself.
>>
I've just finished the nouns module for Princeton Russian on Memrise, and now I'm up to verbs but I don't understand what I'm looking at.

hurt; ache (3pl): бoлят
hurts; aches (3sg): бoлит
were (pl): были

What the fuck do the things in parenthesis mean? pl, 3sg, 3pl. I have no idea what these are referencing and there's nothing in the FAQ.
>>
>>76315612
3rd person plural
3rd person singular
Plural

This is basic conjugations. "Bolyat" refers to multiple things hurting. "Bolit" refers to a single thing hurting. "Byli" refers to multiple people (They WERE at the ice cream store.

The Duolingo course does an okay job explaining this. If you've taken Spanish or French it's pretty similar but there are a lot more exceptions. Honestly the memrise course would be better off teaching you the infinitive of the verb first, and then expanding into conjugations of them later.
>>
I'm learning C and Japanese. Both r harrd.
>>
>>76316236
C is not really that hard, won't take you long (specially if you had learned another programming language before, although it depends on which one)
about japanese, dunno
>>
>>76316139
Thanks anon, I'll check out the Duolingo course.
>>
>>76255131
You can do that, or you can create your own decks.
>>
Does Portuguese really sound the same as Russian?
>>
>>76255592
I hope whoever caught that shark released him/her again into the sea, alive and healthy.
>>
>>76275319
maybe you'll make new friends by talking and practicing a new language
>>
>>76277405
>http://www.weeklylanguage.com
so that was your site?
Congrats, and thanks.

I'm checking the Korean part
>>
File: K.A.R.D.jpg (221KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
K.A.R.D.jpg
221KB, 1200x800px
>>76318387
>Korean
화이팅
>>
>>76314760
My guess for German is that there's plenty of options to form subordinative clauses not only with conjunctions but with relative pronouns (der, die, das) as well
>>
>>76308645
Noto al Cubano en ti, hamburguesa.
>>
>>76314760
>What's with Germans and (educated) Hispanics and long-ass sentences really?
Spaniard here, I've been told a couple of times by foreigner friends -swedish and dutch- that when I write I always use very long sentences with commas. I've never thought about it before and I still can't wrap my head around it. But I guess it must be true.
>>
>tfw dropped italian for 3 months because of finals and internship
>finally getting back
>duo tree all fucked up
>>
>>76313419
Actually I'm Bulgarian. It sounds much softer than BG obviously, but still badass at the same time I dunno. I like it
>>
>>76318387
Yeah, it took a long ass time to write posts though and i was busy back then so I stopped.

Yw man, I recommend howtostudykorean.com, and search for "Evita" on Anki for the grammar sentences and vocab. Those are the best resources I've found out of all of those listed.
>>
>>76293517
It's never too late (unless you have alzheimers)
This dude is over 70 and speaks more than 10 languages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L7tYHSwvkE

>>76316236
learn c++ you caveman

>>76317501
If you don't speak either language or are ignorant of languages in general, yes they sound similar in some way
>>
>>76313419
Maybe to your ears it sounds feminine, but to anglos it sounds manly and rugged. Our language sounds sort of soft and rounded like french.
>>
>>76320552
>c++
>instead of superior in every aspect java
howling
>>
>You'll never teach Basque to a foreign qt gf

Why live
>>
File: speed_close.png (69KB, 833x334px) Image search: [Google]
speed_close.png
69KB, 833x334px
>>76322348
>java
>not a meme
No.
>>
>>76322348
>java
>superior to c++
get_a_load_of_this_guy.jpg
>>
can anyone do a replica of that russian chart for arabic?
>>
>>76328830
Can you recommend me some good Turkish tv series? No romance melodrama bs.
>>
>>76329545
>watching tv

but leyla ile mecnun would probably do if you like comedy

I also used to watch a show called Kanıt for a time, probably the only turkish show I ever followed, Behzat Ç is a good show too

lastly, just watch Muhteşem Yüzyıl or Diriliş Ertuğrul if you like history, but be aware that these shows use a good amount of archaic vocabulary
>>
>>76288756
Seo
>>
>>76329732
Do you know any better immersion then? "/
>>
>>76329838
it's not that it's bad immersion, it's just that I don't like it, and it gets replaced day by day by internet
>>
>>76330069
All right my bad.
>>
>>76315053
>Tatoeba
Context reverso and linguee. Reverso is more accurate. It's not that linguee mistranslates words it just doesn't highlight the exact phrases you search for and if you're at a beginners level you might not be able to pick them out.
>>
buip
>>
Just doing lingvist with sound while watching the telly, I'm focusing but not 100%. Am I fucking myself up in the long run?
>>
What would be the most helpful language to learn if I want to stand out in the job market, /lang/? I'm a software engineer.
>>
>>76336843
Chinese
>>
>>76336843
You already have English and Spanish down, so I guess some Asian language would help.
>>
>>76336841
Active learning is the best learning, but if you are tired and want to do something easy go for it. If you come back another day and start missing the words it figures it out. I'm pretty tired and sick today and I'm doing my time but I know I'm not picking as much up as when I feel good and have energy.
>>
>>76336843
Any computer language you don't know probably
>>
>>76336843
SQL
>>
>>76336950
>>76336984
I thought about it, but starting to learn languages with Chinese or Arabic seems almost impossible. I never really had to study English, the internet, music, movies, etc were enough for me to pick it up, so this would be the first time I'd have to sit down and learn how the syntax, grammar, etc of a language works...
>>
>>76339057
What about German? The biggest EU economy, always in need of computer science people and programmers. Better than your country with 50% jobless youths.
>>
>>76330634
>context reverso
seemed nice until I noticed no binnish
thanks anyway
>>
>>76339780
linguee has finnish.
>>
>>76339780
What languages are you learning anyway?
>>
>>76339960
I know,but generally it isn't all that helpful

>>76340001
Finnish, estonian
>>
Anyone study languages in university? Thinking if it's worth it

I'm a web developer but I hate it so much. Wondering whether I should go back to uni, I never went in the first place.
>>
>>76340632
Really depends on the specific course, mostly how grammar focused it is
I took a finnish course that was mostly useless, and a german one that was pretty great
>>
>>76340501
You should learn one of the two first then it'll be fairly easy to pickup the other. A good way to practice would be to first familiarize yourself with grammar rules. You don't have to know them by heart just so you can figure out the original form or nominative case of a word. Take you should take sentences and then translate them also familiarize yourself with the sounds by listening to the language. If you want to avoid an accent then you should probably practice the ä,ö and y sounds. Also the K in Finnish is soft. It isn't as sharp as in English and sounds like something between a K and a G. The T is also so soft and is pronounced by placing the tip of the tongue on the front teeth. The T is sharp and identical to the English T when it's at the end of a sentence.
>>
>>76340784
I mean a full on undergraduate course. There are a lot of ones that teach two languages. It's usually a combo of Spanish with German or French.
>>
>>76341161
Then you*
also soft*

t. baka
>>
>>76341161
Oh, I know that much, I'm not a total beginner at Finnish and I'm focusing only a tiny bit on Estonian.
Finding out the nominative is awkwardly difficult. For now I'm mostly translating stuff from to Finnish and asking the internet to find out my mistakes.
Oddly I switch from u to y quite often without noticing, I don't really have other significative pronunciation problem (it's way easier than english to me desu). I'm spending a lot of time listening to songs in finnish (and singing along badly) to get used to the sound and pronunciation.

You mentioned the T twice, are you sure you didn't mean a different letter?
Thanks a lot

>>76341205
Then I have no idea, sorry
>>
>>76341463
I meant the T is soft in the beginning and middle of words but sharp in the end. Idk if it's noticeable though.
>>
>>76341463
Why both Finnish and Estonian?
>>
>>76341585
I'll start paying attention, thank you
>>
>>76341621
I like both countries, and both languages in an aesthethic sense. Learning two similar languages seems interesting in that I can use my base in Finnish to make Estonian easier.
I had a really nice time in Finland, and Estonia is interesting to be because of how tech oriented it is and its XX century soviet history.
>>
>>76341916
Cool, you sound genuinely passionate. Won't you get confused between both though, isn't it recommended to at least be an intermediate in one lang before moving to a similar one?
>>
>>76339674
Yup, that's what I was thinking, German, French or maybe Italian if the other two were too complicated. It seems that French has been declining in popularity since the 80's and German is the language of the future for the EU (apart from English, of course), so I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>76255183
Bless you
>>
>>76277405
Concerning your Portuguese page I know some resources you may add:

Dictionaries:
Dicionários Online:
https://www.priberam.pt/DLPO/
http://www.aulete.com.br/
http://www.dicio.com.br/
http://www.infopedia.pt/

Reading stuff:
http://www.biblio.com.br/
http://www.dominiopublico.gov.br/pesquisa/PesquisaObraForm.jsp
http://livrosdoexilado.org/
http://lelivros.win/

Grammar:
http://www.soportugues.com.br/secoes/gramatica/
http://www.gramaticaonline.com.br/Page.aspx?id=1
http://www.conjugacao.com.br/
>>
>>76267629
same with me only i took french classes in the past but hate speaking it like Portuguese a lot especially Brazilian Portuguese
>>76317501
not anymore since I started learning it it no longer sound that similar now the euro accent still sounds a bit slavish but more Latin than before learning anything
>>
>>76342085
I'm only reading a little bit of Estonian.
I can read many simple texts in Finnish, haven't even tried with Estonian
>>
Best apps for iOS for learning german? I completed the duolingo course and have done sporadic memrise stuff and now I've just been trying to read /deutsch/ and other german online stuff.

Are there any apps that will teach/test grammar? I feel like that's my weakest point right now.
>>
>>76268343
>>76268343
What kind of music do you like? I like metal-ish/punk/rock stuff so I listen to:

Rammstein
Eisbrecher
Finsterforst
Die Krupps
Die Toten Hosen
Die Ärzt
Unheilig
OOMPH!
Knorkator
Stahlmann
Saltatio Mortis
>>
that feel when you want to learn all of the languages
>>
>>76248260

Türkçe için yap lüften, bu dili öğrenciyorum.
>>
>>76341205
>I mean a full on undergraduate course.

I'm 2 semesters (not sure how y'all divide up the school year) into Spanish starting from knowing nothing and I'm not really impressed with my progress. They try to incorporate speaking, but because they have to have some way of grading you it's way too reading/writing/grammar orientated in my opinion.
>>
>>76340632
First thing's first have a look at your uni if it's something you can do concurrently with another degree in case you want to keep your options open for a professional career.

Then have a look at what language subjects your uni offers exactly.
I've taken German classes here in Aus and in Germany (it was compulsory for me to spend a year there for my degree, see if you have a program that offers something similar or at least the option for exchange).

Here in Australia I did a mix of German language classes and German culture and society classes. The language classes were broad and had that typical progression that seemed to aim to bring students to a conversational level (German 1, 2, 3 etc.) I never did the more advanced levels because I ran out of electives though kek

The uni I went to in Germany had a very good language institute: I did classes in reading comprehension, German writing, phonetics, etc. In this case I felt like fluency in all aspects of the language was the main goal. From what I know too you didn't need a degree in languages to take courses there, although some students with related degrees like linguistics, literature or politics could take classes from the institute to have it credited to their degrees. If you're a bit hesitant on enrolling for a completely language oriented degree, definitely check out if your uni has a similar resource. I really liked it, they even had a self learning centre and a really well organised tandem program

>Was it worth it?
Depends what you make of it. I've friends with German only degrees that have moved on to different professional degrees, but have used it in their careers (one of them is an interpreter for a car dealership, another is Chinese teacher in Germany). I personally now feel like I'm open to going back there for grad school because science isn't really thriving here

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope it clarifies something at least.
>>
>>76347962
>>76340632
I just realised you haven't been to uni, so it seems you have a bit more freedom to shop around

So every time I say "your uni" I mean your uni of choice
>>
I feel like a retard for not having used Anki until now.
I tried other flash card apps but holy shit these finnish sentences with audio
>>
>>76346565
The German course on Lingvist is really good. I use it on PC and on Android, not sure if it is on iOS though

Lingvist sort of tests grammar in the sense that you have to figure out how a missing word is conjugated etc. when you input it. They have good grammar explanations though.

In terms of learning things like word order and structuring sentences though, I still recommend finding a grammar book and doing drills until it's all automatic
>>
>>76320552
I need C for microcontrollers, apparently.
>>
>>76329545
>>76329732
This gives me so much nostalgia. I remember when I used to go back to Bulgaria for the summers and my grandma would watch Turkish melodramas.

Yaprak Dökümü and Bir Aşk Hikayesi were extremely popular. Not gonna lie they're kind of addicting
>>
>>76350967
Is C your first programming language?
If it's not it shouldn't be hard, specially if you can already program in stuff such as Java (might be weird if you started with Python, but I know plenty of people that went from Python to C)
Personally I only ever used C for one class and never really needed it again, lazy Python master race (pretty much everything in my area is designed for Python anyway)
>>
>>76340632

Sounds like a terrible idea to me unless you are picking a fairly difficult language/culture like Arabic/Hindi. Even then it's going to difficult sell that to an employer.
>>
>>76354486
Yeah thinking about it now it seems like a "don't turn your passion into your job" type thing
>>
I speak french as native, hebrew as almost-fluent, english as intermediate, and spanish of school.
>>
>>76357294
That and the fact that you can teach yourself a language for free instead of wasting 3 years and paying over £20,000
>>
>>76350967
That makes sense then. I assume you are studying Engineering?
>>
>>76322952
I'm sorry, what does that image mean?
>>
>>76358343
I'm not a programmer, so could be wrong, but it looks to me like how long it takes to process a given string size. So the lower the better. Apparently Java is pretty slow.
>>
>>76357294
>"don't turn your passion into your job"
isn't that a good thing? Like, enjoy your job, you know.
>>
>>76357422
and what do you plan on doing now?
>>
>>76359157
Hmm, thanks.
>>
Ree when can I sign up to lang-8
>>
>>76360764
it's not an open signup?
>>
>>76360842
Apparently they shut it down "temporarily" for some reason a few months ago but it's still down
>>
>>76359778
there's the risk that doing your passion for so long every day will turn it into a chore
>>
>>76320276
What's your username? I'm doing Italian too
>>
Mnemonics are fucking crazy. 3 years ago i spent a couple of weeks learning Japanese Kana, most because it's cool to be able to read stuff even if i don't understand it and i haven't been anywhere near Japanese or read any kana since, i decided to check the Japanese duolingo out of boredom and as they are teaching the hiragana all the mnemonics and sounds come flooding back.

Pretty trippy.
>>
>>76360764
>>76360842
>>76361386

There was a thread on /r/languagelearning apparently they want people to join their sister site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/6iox9s/lang8_sign_ups/
>>
>>76347726
Bonjour turquerie
>>
>>76363470
Aloura, ienb ou quoi
>>
Anyone here learn Vietnamese? How hard is it?
>>
>>76329545
Are you looking for series with English subtitles?You won't find many on the internet I think, Ezel and some episodes of Magnificent Century.Otherwise you can try "Ekmek Teknesi" and "Hayat Bilgisi".

>>76347726
I would love to desu, but it wouldn't be an informative one, it would be better if someone who studied the language using variety of resources made one.
>>
>>76365036
Maybe you can advise some easy books to read, or based channels , (it seems that there are a lot of trash youtube channels, no word about TV.)
>>
>>76363988
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turquerie
>>
>>76365344
Well Ömer Seyfettin writes really easy to read books BUT some of his books are filled with really harsh life lessons, you legit feel fucked up after you read some of them lol.
Halide Edip Adıvar is kinda like Ömer Seyfettin but doesn't have fucked up shit but also slightly less easier to read than Ömer Seyfettin.
Or you can alternatively follow through a translation of some of your favorite western childrens book, they're also easy to read.

As for YouTube I don't follow any "lifestyle" channels or whatever they may be so can't help you with that.
>>
File: 1486777712657.jpg (306KB, 906x628px) Image search: [Google]
1486777712657.jpg
306KB, 906x628px
I went from 216lbs to 145lbs in a year and a half by setting goals, so I want to do the same for learning Spanish.

I want to be very good at Spanish in 2019. So 192 days left in this year, 365 days in the next = 557 days.

I've read it takes 600 hours to learn Spanish as a rule of thumb, so is 1hr 15min per day a good target of actively studying?
>>
>>76369327
Good luck! Yes it's a great target. You want to download Toggl and track the time spent studying each day. Some days you might do 4 hours some you'll do 15 minutes, as long as it averages out it's fine.

Make sure you talk with natives and immerse yourself, don't only use grammar books.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-06-22 14.32.35.png (203KB, 1330x888px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-06-22 14.32.35.png
203KB, 1330x888px
>>76370418
Thank you. Looking at my schedule looks like 1hr will have to do, I'm going to try to shoot above that though. I'll be able to do some Spanish listening in the car, but probably can't count that as actively studying.

Yes, I'm using time tracking software. I already have an autism sheet I use for my weight, health, sleep and other stuff so I'm just adding Spanish to that.

Min == Minutes studied that day.
Tar == How many total hours I should have at this point in time to reach my goal. Right now it is at 1hr.
Sub == Subtotal so far to compare to target.

Yes, I have the -tism.
>>
>>76371005
What are you going to use to learn Spanish?
>>
>>76371005
>autism sheet
kek'd, definitely gonna name all my excel sheets that from now on

You can do Memrise if you're in a queue or while eating lunch or something. Don't think of it as having to do the one hour all at once, you can spread it out over the day
>>
>>76371005
What software is that? Just excel?
>>
File: yotsuba-tunes.jpg (42KB, 396x338px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba-tunes.jpg
42KB, 396x338px
>>76371428
Still working that out, right now I'm using Duolingo and Lingvist. I also just torrented Pimsleur.

Lingvist I can use a bit at the office while taking a break, Duolingo on my phone at home, then Pimsleur once per day?

Pimsleur I might be able to do in my car ride to work in the morning and on the way home. My commute is about 30min. Maybe not a good idea because of concentration.

Finally, I have some Spanish coworkers I'm going to try to chat up once I have the very basics.

>>76371671
Checking out Memrise right now. Looks very good!

With so many tools to learn language with, what's the best way to manage them? Just trial and error? Do you guys use a lot of different ones or try to stick to just one or two?
>>
What do you guys think about getting us a discord server?
>>
>>76371968
Numbers. I'm a macfag. Excel would work great too though.
>>
File: 20170622_160003.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170622_160003.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Could not resist and bought it despite I use online dictionaries.
anyway, that was worth only US$ 5
>>
>>76372427
Seems super handy. I'd like to have more paperback stuff. Computer is nice but I use it for so much that it can be refreshing to find alternatives.
>>
What do you guys think of mango languages? I tried it for Latin and Ancient Greek and seemed okay. Gonna restart languages with living ones, mainly french since I already have that romance grammar down due to spanish in school.
>>
Anyone learning Russian? How exactly did you guys learn the stress/unstressed and the hard and soft constants sounds? Was it just one of those things that you get from just studying the language? Or is there a worksheet/task that you did.

pls help
>>
Is there an ideal amount of time to study a language in one sitting?

Is it better to study twice per day for one hour, or two hours straight? Is four hours too much? I imagine everyone is a bit different, but is there any research on this? Or even anecdotal evidence?
>>
>>76376229
make sure you do it everyday is the most important thing, so I advise not burning yourself out
>>
>>76377133
Thanks
>>
>>76374995
I'm having trouble with this too. I've been doing Russian for only eight days and it's becoming very discouraging already. I go on memrise/duolingo and try to learn words and half of them are pronounced differently to what I'm expecting because of vowel reduction.

E is particularly problematic because it seems to switch between eh, ye, and ii and I never know what to expect. Я seems to have too many different possible pronunciations as well.

I feel like these rules should have been covered before you actually start learning words but all the apps seem to just throw you straight into learning nouns and verbs without actually teaching you any of that shit properly.
>>
>>76380587
Yeah exactly mate, I thought the same thing. I opened up one book on the google drive folder and they throw you in deep end too.

I gave up on duolingo, the learning curve was too steep so I use lingvist, helped me a lot with spanish.

I looked on youtube, and I found a decent video but it was still really complicated for me to grasp. My gf told me to carry on and it'll be painfully ingrained into your head ;_;. Also music video with subtitles apparently help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roevsN1zBl4&t=269s

^this is the video
>>
We should have a discord or something for languages and such
>>
>>76364790
Bump for this
>>
>>76372021
it might be neat
>>
uhh...toki? anyone?

mi wan taso anu seme? ;-;
>>
I want to learn chinese, but there are so many resources that I don't know where to start. Any recommendations?
>>
>>76386706
wot?
>>
>>76372021
100% against. Would dent the generals place on 4chan and we're better off posting here as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>76386706
Shit reddit language
>>
>>76291765
a lot in the last few days, esp the mobile app
>>
>>76387065
>>76372021
But there already is a discord, it's managed by the same guys who made the /lang/ Telegram channel
>>
>>76386903
Use the hello chinese app to learn pinyin first, it's been helpful for me to recognize individual sounds because so many of them sound so similar at first
>>
>>76255183
good job тбх
>>
>>76386903
/sino/ here could help you with that.

>>76363611
>>
File: Portuguese personal pronouns.png (44KB, 915x481px) Image search: [Google]
Portuguese personal pronouns.png
44KB, 915x481px
These little schemes on wiktionary are helpful
>>
>>76380587
>>76380830
Hey guys, if you're still here, this is a resource that eases you in much more gently that Duolingo or Lingvist: http://learnrussian.rt.com

As for the E: Э is pronounced "eh", just like in English. E is pronounced "ye", and it's such a soft sound that it can sometimes sound like ii. ë (with the dots) is pronounced "yo".
>>
anyone know any good resources for finnish?
>>
>>76390506
http://www.weeklylanguage.com/2016/04/finnish.html

I made this list last year m8, don't know if all of these resources are the best, but they're all the ones I found.

I'd say this one (http://www.uusikielemme.fi/index.html) is good, has vocab and grammar.

Here's a Teach Yourself Finnish: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9QDHej9UGAdTmo3MzlBdEE1LTA/view
>>
/lang/ I have a problem. I wanna start learning, Russian if that matters, i know some basics because i learned a bit before but thinking about learning makes me feel overwhelmed by the amount of information needed to procces. That feeling makes me unable to start. It's kind of an anxiety or what not.

Any help?
>>
>>76390116
ty for this
>>76392104
I know what you mean, I study MechE and the amount of information you have to learn is kind of similar so I process it the same.

You just have to keep going, even when you feel like you're not learning anything and want to give up.
>>
>>76392104
You know at least 1/5 of it already just by being slav
>>
>>76392216
Also this, check your privilege
>>
>>76390788
Thank you, greatly appreciated.
>>
Anyone here learning Thai?
I want to start it but I'm put off by the lack of spaces between words. I can live with tones or that script but not without spaces between words.
>>
>>76394514
Not learning Thai but I was intimidated by Korean before I started learning it. The alphabet is easy, but the grammar is very different. Then when I got going i realized that it's not difficult -- just different, and it actually makes perfect sense for _that_ language.

There are no spaces for a reason, because it suits that language. If the natives are doing fine with it, so will you. Start and you might find that it's not as bad as you think.

Remember that for a language like Thai which is so different to Euro langs, it takes a few months to start feeling familiar with the language (not fluent, just familiar with how it works) so it might be a massive struggle at first but don't give up.
>>
>>76376229
I former colleague of mine told us in a meeting that going beyond the 2h mark time without taking a break or stopping makes the productivity and concentration of study to drop drastically. Based on several studies, although I do not have them at hand.

So I'd say twice a day, 1h each. Or take a few breaks and stretch, walk or do something else.
>>
>>76376229
>>76396539
Also, I must add a couple of things. She was a psychologist, not a SJW mind you, a real one. She used to work in prisons and such.

On a side note, that you probably already know, the best way to learn a language -as far as I know- is to do Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking in each session.
>>
>>76388357
and how is it? active? empty?
>>
>>76382014
>>76372021
>>76385330
>>76397858
It's pretty dead. We collate resources there and that's about it. The telegram is far more active. Still, I'll drop the link if anyone wants it.

>>76388357
Hi Seb
>>
>>76397975
Kys
>>
>>76394514
Some years ago I was into Thai but the tones really drove me away, they terrify me. Although I'm still curious about it, the script looks super neat.

>>76395304
How much do you about Korean? Is there anything I should be concerned about?? I was super relieved when I learned that Korean wasn't a tonal language anymore.
>>
File: 1494955350752.png (55KB, 1172x1416px) Image search: [Google]
1494955350752.png
55KB, 1172x1416px
>>76398268
>>
Make a new thread
>>
>>76398301
Korean's grammar is very different to English and most European langs. It's agglutinative which means you add particles to the end of words to add meaning. Conjugation is very easy. There are formality levels which change verb endings.

Pronunciation is easy but can be hard to grasp the differences between letters like ㄱ ㅋ ㄲ (g, k gg), ㅂ ㅍ ㅃ (b, p, bb), ㅈ ㅊ ㅉ (j, ch, jj) when listening.

It's the most fun language i've ever studied, I love it. Plenty of dramas and stuff to watch too for immersion.

If you decide to learn it, search for "Evita" in Anki, she's got two Korean decks which are awesome.
>>
I'll be starting my undergrad in linguistics this fall and I need to take a course in a non-conventional language as part of the major. Some of my options are Quechua, Persian, Arabic, and Chinese. I've been thinking about doing Persian because there is a scholarship for students taking Persian that pays for the class and includes a stipend. What would you do if you had a similar choice to make?
>>
Korean is p easy, and with the amount of Koreaboos there are many good resources.
>>
>>76398368
How fucking cute is that?
>>
>>76400332
Any advice for someone getting started?
>>
>>76400417
https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/
>>
>>76399933
Just as Korean is so difficult for English or other European language speakers to learn, so English is very challenging for Koreans to learn... I've been learning it for like 4 years but I still can barely write and understand it..
>>
>>76400513
Your writing skills seem okay to me. Just keep shitposting on /int/ and you'll be writing like a native speaker fairly quickly. I've learnt 90% of my Spanish from posting in /lat/ threads.
>>
>>76399682
we're still in the bumping area, no need for a new thread yet
>>
>>76322348
Kek inb4 trolling amirite reddit?
>>
>>76400107
Idk, I think Quechua and Chinese could be fun and interesting to learn.
But if Persian has those pros...
>>
>>76400617
Very nice to see actually.
Usually we have 3 posts and then it disappears.
>>76400715
Persian for the Iranian girls.
>>
>>76400513
You're doing well, keep it up bro.
Any advice for someone who wants to learn or is learning Korean?

>>76400487
I'll totally check that out too

>>76399933
I need to just do it, everytime I read something new about Korean I get a bit more hyped.

btw, something curious and quite inoffensive that has happened to me very recently:
I read that it's best to get squared paper to practice the writing at the beginning because of how the letters are in Korean.

So I thought great, I'm just gonna get real quick a notebook at the store, I can't fucking believe that there're none with squared paper, only lined or blank. wat. I always look for blank paper notebooks and just when I want one with squared paper they disappear.
>>
>>76400107

(i have no idea about Quechua so i cant comment on that)

Persian is the easiest to learn but also has a false ease in the sense the everyday language is apparently very different from the textbook language. Also one of the most stable languages, speakers of modern Persian can read the Persian used for the past 1000 years with virtually no difficulty. Which opens up an insane amount fantastic literature.

Arabic is a very interesting language(s) linguistically but also probably the most difficult out of the 3 to learn and if you want to learn it you essentially have learn 1.5 to 2 languages depending on who you ask. A very useful language as the arab world is fucked in the next 20 years.

You can be conversational in chinese in 6 months if you really try but the characters take a lifetime of srs and grinding. Personally while i find the characters fascinating but i can't imagine wanting to spend more than a holiday in china without dying or blowing my brains out. DO NOT LEARN MANDARIN.jpg

Persian>arabic>chinese imo
>>
>>76400760
>Very nice to see actually.
>Usually we have 3 posts and then it disappears.
Yeah I totally agree, I'm very happy that the last few threads have been active and reached the bumping limit without just "bump" posts.
>>
New thread dudes: >>76401206
>>
>>76255183
Is Princeton Russian Course better than Russian Course by Memrise?
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.