[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1847

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 68

File: 1492577628598.png (510KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492577628598.png
510KB, 600x600px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Last Thread:
>>74112522
>>
しんじゃったかッ
>>
Ankidroid is glitching out and no longer scrolls down to reveal the solution when I hit the 'Show Answer' button. Makes it really annoying to use.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried reinstalling the app.
>>
File: 1474775862625.gif (904KB, 500x532px) Image search: [Google]
1474775862625.gif
904KB, 500x532px
>自らの文法自閉症でスレを殺害するときの気分
>>
>確固たる
>堂々たる
These are a separate type of adjective from something like 強固な. If you look in a a J-E dictionary the part of speech should be listed as adj-t (たり adjective) or adj-to (と adjective). In a J-J dictionary it will say something like [ト・タル][文][形動タリ] meaning "と/たる adjective, and in 文語 a たり-adjective."

In 文語 there are two types of 形容動詞, the ナリ活用 and the タリ活用.
ナリ活用 conjugates like this:
>強固なら
>強固なり・強固に
>強固なり
>強固なる
>強固なれ
>強固なれ
The na-adjective that you know in modern Japanese descends from this type of word and conjugates like this:
>強固だろ
>強固で・強固に
>強固だ
>強固な
>強固なら
>○ (no imperative form of it's own, must be combined with である to make 強固であれ)
Instead of attaching なり, you attach だ, except for the alternate 連用形 「に」 which is passed down from the ナリ活用. (The 仮定形 of だ, 「なら」, is also passed down from the 未然形 of なり.)

Meanwhile, the タリ活用 conjugates like this:
>確固たら
>確固たり・確固と
>確固たり
>確固たる
>確固たれ
>確固たれ
This type of 形容動詞 died out in modern Japanese except for as the トタル活用 or タルト活用 which conjugates like this:
>○
>確固と
>○
>確固たる
>○
>○
Only the 連用形 「と」 and the 連体形 「たる」 survive (which is why it's called トタル or タルト in Japanese).

>I'm curious as to if something like 確固たる物 and 強固な物 could basically mean the same thing
Yes, they are both the 連体形 of a 形容動詞, only different classes of words, and function in the same way.

However, even the ~たる form of the タルト活用 is becoming rare and is usually only seen in more formal writing, so the form 確固とした (連用形 plus する) is more common.

(Thanks, 確固たる説明 笑)
>>
I did it. I finished the first chapter of よつばと!in japanese, and actually understood what the hell was happening.
>>
>>74189976
おめでとう! カナダ人さんがんばれ!!!
>>
What's the secret to being able to pronounce proper names in Japanese? How do you even know if you're reading it correctly?
>>
>>74192157
Surnames are usually kun-yomi.
With given names you basically just need lots of experience reading names.
>>
File: 700kAnkiDeckWhen.png (57KB, 355x894px) Image search: [Google]
700kAnkiDeckWhen.png
57KB, 355x894px
>>74192436
>>74192157
七十万読み方あります
>>
>>74192157
How do you know if you're pronouncing an english proper name correctly?
>>
File: lovely-complex-risa.jpg (55KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
lovely-complex-risa.jpg
55KB, 500x375px
こんばんは、デイリー日本語スレッド
私はメキシコアノンです。
卵はおいしいですよ!
私の好きな食べ物はピザです。

でも、チースのハンバーガーはいちばんですよ!
>>
なになにんじゃないか
vs.
なになにんじゃないの

Do the か and the rising intonation の in the above constructions have any helpful or particular nuances that I should be aware of? Or are they both just different constructions to soften the preceding statement?
>>
File: 白鬼院凛々蝶様.jpg (234KB, 1280x1712px) Image search: [Google]
白鬼院凛々蝶様.jpg
234KB, 1280x1712px
>>74192714
>all those 凛 names
綺麗ですね
凛 is my favorite kanji. The best name I've ever seen that uses it is 凛々蝶(りりちよ).
>>
File: 4.jpg (212KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
212KB, 857x1202px
>>
File: 1492454408479.png (14KB, 725x306px) Image search: [Google]
1492454408479.png
14KB, 725x306px
Should I just have omitted the の instead?
>>
>>74195743

Yeah, relative clauses don't need の.
>>
>>74195743
Yes, it should be 料理する少年.
When a word that can be conjugated comes directly before a noun to modify it, it's called the 連体形 and doesn't require a particle.
>料理する少年
>美しい少年
>頑固な少年
料理する, 美しい, 頑固な are all 連体形. Except for na-adjectives, it's the same as the casual non-past form (終止形).
>少年は料理する
>少年は美しい
>少年は頑固だ
The particle の is only used with nouns to modify other nouns.
>16歳の少年
>日本人の少年
>学生の少年
>>
File: Capture.jpg (81KB, 756x988px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
81KB, 756x988px
how to get a gyaru girlfriend?
>>
File: 1477289561375.png (22KB, 959x369px) Image search: [Google]
1477289561375.png
22KB, 959x369px
>>74195842
>>74196107
Thanks, dudes.

About dake... can it possibly be interpreted as this second version? Logic tells me it should. But maybe it needs a particle to become that.
>>
What do you want to read that's driving your efforts?
>>
File: 1472938852089.jpg (23KB, 734x546px) Image search: [Google]
1472938852089.jpg
23KB, 734x546px
>>74196313
The vows my future Japanese wife will write me!
>>
>>74196234

Huh, interesting question. Without going on a google hunt to better build a case, something doesn't seem right about interpreting だけ like that. I think just a plain これは見ない could maybe work for that meaning, as は can show contrast to other things that are not marked with it. So, embedded in there is already the notion that you see or will see other things, in contrast to this one thing you do not. I know there are also words like ただ and たった which could also maybe be utilized in some way here, however I'm not familiar enough with any of that to confidently construct something.
>>
>日本人の学生は大学のまえに高校をならいますか。
>日本人の学生はじゅうような勉強します。日本人の学生はテストをごうかくします。

What do these sentences mean?
>>
If 高さ is height and 高くなさすぎる is a valid construction, would 高くなさ be valid for "the lack of height", kinda like 低さ?

>>74196924
Google translate does a decent job at these.
>>
>>74197205
すぎる would normally be added to 高(with the い removed), not 高さ.
>>
whats with the sperg in the japanese thread
>>
>>74197302
I know, it's the negative form of the adjective.
>>
>>74197205
I guess I should post the full text. The lines make sense independently but I'm confused about how they all relate to each other. It doesn't seem like a natural conversation.

>日本人の学生は大学のまえに高校をならいますか。
>日本人の学生はじゅうような勉強します。日本人の学生はテストをごうかくします。
>大学をいみしますか。
>いいえ、テストをごうかくしに高校に入ります。
>先生はのぞましい高校を入りますか。
>はい。
>私の町で高校に行きました。
>うん、あなたの町のこうりつ がっこうに入ります。
>私のいけんでは高校のテストをよりむずかしいです。
>>
When do I use あなた and きみ?
What other forms of "you" are there?
>>
>>74197527
お前、あんた、お宅、きさま、自分(this one is popular in Kansai dialect) 、そちら様、きしょく、おどれ、汝

found most of these here
http://jisho.org/search/%22you%22
>>
File: 70.png (407KB, 715x594px) Image search: [Google]
70.png
407KB, 715x594px
>みゃいい

What is this? I've looked on various sites but couldn't find it, maybe it's obvious but for some reason I can't figure it out

>として

On Jisho and DoJG として only seems to come before nouns, and the meanings for it that they explain don't seem to fit this context. Maybe it's the conditional, but I'm not sure what the meaning would be then. What does として meaning in that sentence?
>>
>>74196924
Japanese education system
high school → entrance exam → University

High school students study hard for passing entrance exam of university.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-29_05-03-09.png (12KB, 1118x110px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-29_05-03-09.png
12KB, 1118x110px
Reminder that Rikaisama is going to die because of SJWzilla being retarded and switching to a Chrome-like add-on API.

What do we do?
>>
>>74197715
みゃいい is a corrupted form of めばいい.

That として means leaving that aside.
>>
File: gfr4ct.png (302KB, 925x347px) Image search: [Google]
gfr4ct.png
302KB, 925x347px
>>74198407
install palememe
>>
>>74198407
>implying I'm going to update firefox
>>
>>74199293
Apparently the furfag developer is clueless about security.

>>74199343
Enjoy your viruses then.
>>
>>74196107
高い=形容詞
高さ=名詞
>高いx
>xの高さ
What is it about さ that makes an adjective base be treated as a noun?
>>
>>74199369
>viruses
lol mac
>>
>>74199449
>What is it about さ that makes an adjective base be treated as a noun?
That's like asking "what is it about 'ment' that makes a verb be treated as a noun?"
>>
>>74199369
Have you thought about sandboxing the browser within a virtual machine?
>>
>>74199474
Wasn't asking you.
>>
>>74199497
There exist viruses capable of escaping virtual machines and infecting the host systems.
>>
>>74199568
it has one purpose, to insert from the clipboard and use rikia, it could be a portable old version thats denied wan via a firewall if it becomes an infection vector in the future
>>
File: 13218784112184.jpg (368KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
13218784112184.jpg
368KB, 894x894px
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ment#Suffix
●-ment
Used to form nouns from verbs, the nouns having the sense of "the action or result of what is denoted by the verb".
Usage notes
●Generally attached to stem without changes, except when the stem ends in -dge, where the -e is sometimes dropped, as in abridgment, acknowledgment, judgment, and lodgment, with the forms without -e being preferred in American English. Of these, judgment is the most significant, and usage varies globally; see Judgment
From Late Latin -amentum, from -mentum via Old French -ment.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ment#French
●Used to form adverbs (from the feminine form of an adjective), most of the time equivalent to the English -wise, -ly.
●Used to form nouns from verbs, usually of action or state resulting of them. Equivalent to the English -ment.
●Examples: parement, abandonnement, maniement

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-menta#Latin
Plural of -mentum

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-mentum#Latin
Derived from the Latin suffix -menta in collective nouns like armenta (“herd, flock”). Latin -menta from Proto-Indo-European *-mn̥teh2 (*-mn̥ + *-teh2).
Descendants
●Aromanian: -mintu
●Asturian: -mientu
●Basque: -mendu
●Catalan: -ment
●Dutch: -ment
●English: -ment
●Francoprovençal: -ment
●French: -ment
●Friulian: -ment
●Galician: -mento
●German: -ment
●Italian: -mento
●Occitan: -ment
●Portuguese: -mento
●Romanian: -mânt
●Russian: -мeнт (-ment)
●Sicilian: -mentu
●Spanish: -mento, -miento
●Venetian: -mento

>language questions in a language thread
>>
File: 1468253136397.jpg (455KB, 900x933px) Image search: [Google]
1468253136397.jpg
455KB, 900x933px
I never know how to pronounce stuff like
数日後 数日前 何日前
I know all the possible readings, but not the right combination. Some of these (I exemplified just a few of them) show up in dictionaries, others don't.

Any guide or rule of thumb on this?
>>
>>74199449
The さ in 高さ is a 接尾語, a suffix that attaches to uninflected words like nouns, adverbs, or adjective stems to either supplement the meaning of the word or change the word's grammatical function. They're separate from 助動詞, which only attach to inflected forms.
さ turning an adjective stem into a 名詞 is an example of the latter type. Other examples are めく, which turns words into 動詞, and らしい, which turns words into 形容詞.
An example of a 接尾語 that changes the meaning but not the form of the word would be a plural suffix like ら.
There are also 接頭語, which are prefixes instead of suffixes. The honorific prefixes ご and お are an example.

I believe that the さ that gets inserted before すぎる or そうだ when they're being attached to adjective stems with only one syllable (like 良(よ) or 無(な)) is completely separate from the 接尾語 「さ」. In that case I think it serves a purely phonetic function, to make the word sound nicer. The ない in 高くない is usually classified as a 形容詞 rather than a 助動詞, so I suppose a construction like 高なさ with the 接尾語 「さ」 might be possible in theory, but "untallness" sounds strange to me even in English.
>>
左翼赤旗在日キムチ死ね穢多非人
>>
>>74200279
>高なさ
Typo for 高くなさ, or would it really be like that?
>>
File: naha van.jpg (123KB, 894x1008px) Image search: [Google]
naha van.jpg
123KB, 894x1008px
what's this?

>>>/jp/16938335
>>
>>74201237
Yeah, sorry.
>>
Are the Heisig Remembering The X books a meme? Seriously learning hiragana with repetition seems a lot quicker and easier than reading his hiragana book.
>>
>>74201587
Learning kana is so trivial, you will hardly find any meme methods. Any method should be quick enough that you can move on.

Heisig is great for kanji, though that depends whether you intend remembering them precisely or just go straight to vocabulary. Learning all the kanji takes a few months without touching actually useful words, but pays off in the long run. Your pick, measure your motivation before anything else.
>>
>>74201257
right wing
>>
>>74201587
learned hiragana in literally less than a day with the djt kana webpage
>>
Question, To those who made some decent progress learning how to read runes. How do you fair vocally like, are you able to listen to some conversations and understand parts of it or is that a whole nother ballpark in terms of learning?

I'm just curious since it seems that my friends from their experience in taking classes had a mix of both reading/writing and mock conversation practices.
>>
File: 046.jpg (273KB, 981x1400px) Image search: [Google]
046.jpg
273KB, 981x1400px
>あんたにしてみりゃしてやったりだっただろ

みりゃ = みた?
and how would you translate this してやったりだっただろ
>>
that's みれば in manly speaking. like this way, you can use すりゃ instead of すれば to say 勝手にすりゃいい for example

I think googling "してやったり" will help you to learn it well. that's kinda related to smugness.
>>
What's the kanji on top of the glass? The one before がすごい
>>
What mean orange highlight
http://ran.2hu.moe/dkyszx.jpg
>>
>>74206358
Looks like 泡

- - -

Can な adjectives modify other な adjectives?

Like 壊れられないような強固な柱? Can the ような be considered to be modifying 強固?
>>
泡 loŏke
>>
>>74206775

Looks like タンマ, because he's about to cum inside.

http://zokugo-dict.com/16ta/tanma.htm
>>
>>74204836
みりゃ = みれば

"You would've done the same, I bet."
>>
say I'm ordering a coffee, would コヒをおねがいします be correct or has my japanese teacher tricked me? people seemed to get what i meant when i was over there
>>
>>74206809
壊れられないような modifies 柱.
Is that sentence 自ら壊れられないような~?
壊れないような~ is usual.
that is a little strange.
>>
>>74205633
>>74206973
thanks
>>
>>74207054
Correct. But コーヒー instead of コヒ. Pronouncing coffee too precisely would make many Japanese be confused.
>>
>>74207399
カニ食べ放題ください
>>
>>74207279

Thanks; I just made up the 壊れられないような in order to give an example, so I'm not surprised if it sounded awkward lol. But so you are saying the ような is not modifying the 強固な. I assume that the same principle could be said with something like this, right?

”なだめるような静かな声で歌う”

"Adjectives" don't modify other adjectives in English either, but I always want to double check even the most simple grammar points just to make sure I understand everything.
>>
>>74206936
Thank
>>
>>74207756
なだめるような modifies 声
if it modifies 静かな, you should say なだめるように静かな声で歌う.
>>
Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH-kNnq7mFM
>>
>>74209342
>この動画はご利用いただけません
>>
見えるよ
長いけど
>>
File: 0008.png (4MB, 2075x3000px) Image search: [Google]
0008.png
4MB, 2075x3000px
What would be an appropriate was to translate baka here?
For girls I usually go with something like "dummy", but it feels childish and out of place here.
>>
>>74209342
life is pretty shitty in the adult world
at least the music is beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbH754gScuk
>>
>>74211016
I have no idea what the context is but maybe you should drop the insult entirely and go for the general emotions it tries to express

of course you could just write idiot, but that would be weird I guess, but there's no real alternative when you go down this road
>>
"ひどいよ"の意味だな。なんて言うのかねえ
>>
anyone from japan want to be my friend?
>>
what should i search in google to get online streaming of movies in japanese
>>
>>74209305
Got it now, thanks for your patience in helping.

---

Does

彼は少年の頃から学問が好きでした。
vs.
彼は少年の頃に学問が好きでした。

The first sentence is translated (in core6k) as "He liked to learn ever since he was a little boy.". I substituted the に for から. In the に construction, is there less (or none at all) of a nuance of the trend continuing to the present? Like instead of "*ever since* he was a boy" it would be "He liked to learn when he was a boy." I'm trying to sharpen my understanding of から here.
>>
>>74213139
Ignore the "Does"

>>74213131
Are you looking for subtitles? Japanese/English ones? No subs? Do you only want to stream, or are you willing to use torrents?
>>
>>74213243
id prefer just the raw japanese, no subs. I am willing to torrent yes.
>>
>>74211016
What is wrong with idiot/stupid? Can't you see she's CRYING?
Your mom won't get mad at you for using no-no words here.
>>
>>74213772

I use a private torrent site called avistaz. It has a bunch of other East Asian movies and shows too, but I only use it for Japanese media right now. It's invite only, but they have an IRC channel dedicated to invites, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to obtain one.
>>
>>74213139
you're welcome :)

In the に construction, there is no nuance of the trend continuing to the present.
Rather it is possible to be the opposite also.

The former is perfect tense, the latter is past tense.
>>
>>74209342
>a video about mentally ill failures
It's only "true" if you're John Rawls.
>>
friends, its my first time using anki, I have searched and youtubed around on how to use it but I kind of want to hear your layman term version of it, also what would you say are the most essential desk to use for both kanji and grammar? essentially i'm asking where do I start? a few friends recommended Kanji Damage, I have tried it but it sometimes tried too hard to be funny it ended up childish, should i continue?
>>
Can someone explain あげてモテようとして to me? I tried looking it up, but I only found some shit about being popular with the opposite sex? I'm not quite sure if this makes sense. Context is a girl making a story up about a warrior. It doesn't seem right, so what could it mean?
>>
>>74215003

Ah, well explained, thank you.

あなたはまだ毎日英文で書きいているんですか

>>74215347

"Trying to be well liked by all" maybe? I don't think it necessarily has to refer to the opposite sex, but it looks like that's one of its main uses. More text or the page itself if it's a comic would be helpful.
>>
>>74215656
*書いて
>>
>>74215656
sometimes.
I write in Japanese basically.
日本人ですから :)
>>
>>74213139
kara is from
ni is when/at/to
>>
Does kana have "combination" sounds?

Ex: the "a" in "make" sounds completely different from "mak"
>>
>>74216368
連声かな・・・
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~hi5k-stu/nihongo/renjo.htm

present kana has almost phonological consistency.
in the case of historical kana, there is てふ pronounced as ちょう, and so on.
>>
>>74215283
First step is learning English.

>>74216368
Slight shifts (for instance the G gets more NG sometimes), but nothing that really changes the sound or makes it overlap with others like English.
>>
>>74216368
Japanese has a very regular orthography.
>>
ワットザファック今なんていった?リトルビッチ。教えてやるが俺は主席でネイヴィーシールズのクラスを卒業し、膨大な秘密作戦でアルカイダと戦闘して、確認されているだけでも殺害数は300人。ゴリラ戦※で鍛え上げられ、狙撃手としての腕はアメリカ軍のトップだ。次の標的はお前だ。お前をこの世から 完 全 抹 消 (ワイプ・ザ・ファックアウト)してやるよ、かつてないほどの正確さでな。俺の言葉に注意しろよ。俺にクソレスしといてインターネットから逃走できると思ってるな?それは間違いだファッカー。こうしてしゃべっている間も俺はシークレット・ネットワークでアメリカ中のスパイと連絡を取り、お前のIPを調べ上げている。嵐に備えたほうがいいぞウジ虫。その嵐はお前が「自分の命」と呼んでいるちっぽけなものをふっ飛ばしちまうだろうからな。お前はもうファッキン・デッドだガキ。俺はいつ、どこだろうと、お前を700通り以上の方法で殺害できる。しかも素手でな。俺はすさまじい格闘戦の訓練を受けているだけでなくアメリカ海兵隊の武器庫にアクセスする権限を持っている。その火力の全てを、お前の惨めなケツをこの大陸の地表上から完全に消し去るために使うことができるんだぞリトルシット。もしお前がお前の「賢い」コメントの報いがどのようなものになるか知っていたら、お前はお前のクソ舌を引っ込めることができただろう。しかし、もう遅い。お前はやっちまった。ツケを払うときだガッデムイディオット。お前に俺の憤怒グソをブチまけて溺れさせてやるよ。お前はファッキンデッドだよガキ。
>>
File: 1390720358517.jpg (548KB, 2000x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1390720358517.jpg
548KB, 2000x1284px
>>74188015
Falling for a disembodied voice
https://forvo.com/user/kiiro/
https://forvo.com/word/やれ_やれ/
>>
>>74214949
Would you happen to know a good place for raw Japanese mangas?
>>
>>74222170
If you can't find it on google, your only bets are perfect dark and share.
>>
>>74222170
http://raw-hunters.net/
http://www.manga-zone.org/
https://www.nyaa.se/

these could be useful
>>
>>74222170
I don't know, sorry. The CoR has tons of stuff, if you are not looking for anything in particular.

>>74222207
Amazing how two decrepit p2p programs are the apex of Japanese file-sharing. Only gaijins can successfully get any media off that island, lol.
>>
File: Z0095533.jpg (113KB, 648x900px) Image search: [Google]
Z0095533.jpg
113KB, 648x900px
Do you play any vidya to practice your Japanese?
>>
File: dq3.png (19KB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
dq3.png
19KB, 640x476px
>>74222869
I remember years ago when I tried playing it without being able to decipher anything.
>>
>>74222207
Well, there are places where everything is easily available, but many are sort of hidden from Google. Often nothing but the main page shows up on Google.

>>74222378
These are closer to what I'm looking for, although everyone of course already knows nyaa.

Sadly however, they didn't have what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is the most basic thing imaginable, but in a special edition:

Dragon Ball Color
ドラゴンボール フルカラー

They've even been released in a digital format.
>>
>>74223022
Japanese pirates don't bother with that kind of thing. You'll have to buy it yourself. You live in a modernized country, you can probably afford it.
>>
>>74223074
I actually own the first half of the original era already and I'm quite pleased. But I honestly am flat out broke and it seems like they're running out of print or something? Shops have stopped selling many of releases. Maybe you can understand my predicament.
>>
>>74223335
I do, but there's no two ways about "nobody's ripped this yet".
>>
>>74223335
Yes, you honestly are flat out broke and it seems like they're running out of print or something.
>>
>>74223385
I guess I'll just get them a year from now. They seem to be sold widely, so maybe those two outlets were just a fluke.
>>
>>74223335

Well, it doesn't look expensive on yahoo auctions: 20-30 dollars, not including shipping+middleman fees. If you do eventually buy it, and if you have a good scanner, please consider helping out other gaijins by being the one to rip it.
>>
>>74223940
I believe it actually has been ripped already. There is someone who is apparently decensoring the English releases by using the original art.
>>
>>74224098
They typically use privately shared scans, not distributed ones.
>>
File: 20070118211347.jpg (23KB, 339x253px) Image search: [Google]
20070118211347.jpg
23KB, 339x253px
So what is ちゃうねん really?
>>
>>74225299
google first result
>いわゆる“否定”の言葉
>違う、そうじゃない」と同じ。
>>
>tfw my brain selectively decides on what it does and doesn't remember regarding japanese
>>
>>74223669
wouldn't hurt to learn how the question mark is used in English while learning Japanese
frequently commenting about what you incorrectly perceive as misuse is really going to fuck you over with Japanese, where they not only do the very same thing but with double negative rhetorical constructions
why do those on the autistic spectrum bother with languages? it's a creative process, demands flexibility and lateral thinking of the sort those on the spectrum are simply not capable of
like a deaf guy learning how to play the piano, what's the point if they can't hear the music?
>>
>>74225783
If you're using anki there's a reason for that. I don't know the name of it, but basically, your brain selectively refuses to learn arbitrary (random but specific) information through sheer repetition if you try too hard to memorize it. You need to see it in context, i.e. reading.
>>
How would I ask a simple question like "Will X be Y?"
As in, I want to ask an artist what the content of doujin they've made will be.

Something like "「X」はになるだろうYが?"
Does that work?
>>
File: 1468273808323.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468273808323.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>74226331
>Guys, I'm creative and neurotypical because I write incorrectly! Look, I'm doing it right now to more laterally express myself!
Sure, why should anyone bother with a posteriori rules if we can instead just keep shitting on the language in social media until new a posteriori rules are set to cope with it? Sorry for striving for clarity and proper use of solid, functional aspects of writing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_clause#Interrogative_content_clauses

There is no need for a question mark here, the fact that you think there is indicates you don't understand the logic behind indirect questions at all. The only thing a question mark does is turning a perfectly implied question into a yes or no one.
Nips are just as guilty of doing this, the difference being their spoken tone of it is not annoying and it's almost always exclamatory.

If you think expressing your tone is so important that it surpasses the correct usage of punctuation, better start blending IPA and music sheets for accuracy in everything you speak.

Or... MAYbe, getting >creA!tive as you "CLAIM" to be) to start _puttingsomeemphasis_ on what ->you-> say. Try ~~emojis~~, they are REALLY^ POPular among your demographic(.)
>>
Guys
Duolingo is making an english to japanese course finally!
>>
>>74227831
They've been doing it for years, now. I remember waiting for that course back in 2013, when it was already "under production".

Portuguese -> Italian was scheduled to come out on Christmas (maybe even before that, but I wasn't watching), we're 5 months into 2017 and no sign of it yet. They keep pushing the launching date a month forward every time the deadline comes.
>>
>>74227483
なにこぃつ
まぢキモぃんだけど
ぢさつすればぃいのに
>>74227831
There's enough crappy japanese resources for permabeginners already
>>
>>74227990
>hating on duolingo
redditors out
>>
>>74227483
http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/indirect-questions.html
>>
>>74228074
The text in >>74223669 is not an indirect question.
>>
>>74228157
That's his post but mine was, I was wondering whether it's running out of print. The broke part is just the head of a casual run-on sentence but that's about it.
>>
And if you pay attention I use my question marks sparingly. At the end of the post is a rhetorical question without a question mark.
>>
>>74228205
Oh, sorry. Yeah, that question mark is wrong, but who cares.

>>74228398
That's not actually a rhetorical question at all. It's not even a question. And it's not rhetorical either.
>>
>>74228574
It's a rhetorical indirect question. It resembles a common form of indirect questioning.

Here's some related Japanese article:
http://bizacademy.nikkei.co.jp/language/qa/article.aspx?id=MMACb4000025062015
>>
>>74228727
"Maybe you can understand my predicament" isn't really what you just linked. It's just a statement. And if it were a question it wouldn't be a rhetorical one since it's not engaging in rhetoric.
>>
>>74228764
> it wouldn't be a rhetorical one since it's not engaging in rhetoric.
At this point you're just playing silly.
>>
>>74228800
I'm not. This is real.
>>
Hey, guys. Instead of arguing about inane shit, could you please answer me question here >>74227237
>>
>>74227237
Japanese doesn't have an obligatory future tense, though if you're asking a production question like this you should probably get more expert-like help.
>>
>>74229000
So what would be the best way to ask that question?

And it's not really a "production question".
I just want to know the doujin is before I bother ordering it.
>>
>>74228074
The examples in your link are direct questions (as in they are full questions) with an indirect approach (being roundabout) for politeness' sake.

The indirect questions in the link I've posted are the ones that relate to your misconstrued sentence:
I wonder what I will eat tomorrow.

I will eat tomorrow? -> Interrogative.
I wonder about it. -> Affirmative.

Since it becomes a subordinate clause, it becomes affirmative in tone.
In your examples, the addition of "could", "would", "do you" etc. turn it into a yes/no question, therefore you are still wrong.

And, as I said, you're failing to see what a question mark does. It doesn't express confused or doubt. "I am confused" is not a question, even though there might be an answer to something needed.

>>74228960
xはyになるだろうか? - I think it's the least confusing one.
xはyになるかな? - more uncertain and GAY.
xはyになるか? - might overlap with present depending on the verb, I avoid it.
>>
>>74229289
>I will eat tomorrow? -> Interrogative.
Sorry, meant to write "What will I eat tomorrow?".
>>
>>74229289
For some reason someone first redirected Indirect Question here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_speech
where question mark usage is showcased:
>How do people manage to live in this city?

but then changed it to that content clause article. It would make zero sense to use a question mark in a sentence with such a content clause. No one does it even casually.

Look at these two sentences:

>It seems like they're running out of print or something?
>It seems like they're running out of print or something.

Two different meanings entirely.

You interpreted the content clause's article's examples as the general usage of an indirect question, always without a question mark.

And they are indirect questions because they ask a question indirectly. That is what an indirect question is.
>>
>>74229289
>xはyになるだろうか? - I think it's the least confusing one.
Thank you, I appreciate the help.
>>
>>74229420
And the example is a rhetorical indirect question again, the double whammy. Even I wouldn't use a question mark to end a rhetorical question, but that's accepted and common as well.
>>
>>74229557
Although now that I think about it, the example's not really a rhetorical indirect question but just a rhetorical question. For it to be a rhetorical indirect question I'd imagine it would have to resemble a common form of an indirect question but if you take it at face value it's pretty direct. I guess it still fits the indirect speech article, being a rhetorical question.
>>
File: 1493345821672.jpg (251KB, 1166x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1493345821672.jpg
251KB, 1166x1181px
死んでもなりたく
>>
File: 1484248014649.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484248014649.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
Today I saw たりする out in the wild for the first time.
How disappointed I was when it didn't include a suru in the last verb!
And how good my head became after noticing the last verb was 出来る, so it still counts!
>>
I've noticed that typing out random words or phrases works the best when it comes to memorizing.
>>
>>74229420
This article is about statements where the subject is not the topic, not about your magical "indirect questions".

>And they are indirect questions because they ask a question indirectly. That is what an indirect question is.

Indirect questions aren't real. If you say something like "I wonder what his name is.", that's not a question, that's a statement. That statement can have a pragmatic purpose, like letting people know that you want to know their name, but it is certainly not a question.
>>
File: 1443184619149.gif (352KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
1443184619149.gif
352KB, 256x144px
ITT
>>
>>74229420
>>74230810
And to bring up "perfect english grammar"'s example, "Excuse me. Could you tell me where the nearest station is?" is not an indirect question, it's literally just English's idea of what the polite register of speech looks like when asking a question. The idea that it looks like they're actually asking whether it's possible is a syntactical illusion and not part of the psychology of the language.
>>
>>74230878
this is called hedging btw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_(linguistics)
>>
>>74230810
>>74230878
I never said that and if you want to find the best fitting article for any sort of indirectness then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_act#Indirect_speech_acts
>One may, for instance, say, "Peter, can you close the window?", thereby asking Peter whether he will be able to close the window, but also requesting that he does so. Since the request is performed indirectly, by means of (directly) performing a question, it counts as an indirect speech act.
>>
>>74231037
yes, hedging >>74230961 is a speech act

>One may, for instance, say, "Peter, can you close the window?", thereby asking Peter whether he will be able to close the window
wrong, incorrect, invalid

there is literally no element of "asking whether he will/is able to"
>>
Oh and you picked an example that sounds like a rhetorical question:
> "I wonder what his name is."
People mumble stuff like that themselves. Of course it looks perfectly fine without a question mark.
>>
>>74231117
That is not a rhetorical question.
>>
I'm gay.

No, no, I'm not saying what my sexuality is, I'm literally stating that my identity is the concept of being in the state of being gay. Indirect state of being and all.
>>
>>74231117
To themselves, I meant.

>>74231138
Of course not because to you rhetorical questions don't exist, like we already established.
>>
>>74231163
No. It is not a rhetorical question. There is no "because" or "to me". It is simply not a rhetorical question. Not even if you add a question mark. If you believe otherwise, you are wrong, no matter what your reasoning is. This is not subjective.
>>
>>74231208
"Would you jump off a bridge if your friends told you to?"

Rhetorical question.

"I wonder what his name is?"

Not a rhetorical question.
>>
>>74231233
Now you went and added a question mark to strengthen it being something you ask from someone instead of something you mumble to yourself...

In that case it would still be indirect.
>>
>>74231393
That is not an indirect question. An "indirect question", as per the only definitions you've dug up, is always an actual question, just asking something different than what the asker actually wants to ask. "I wonder what his name is?" is not an actual question. It is a speech act, but it is not an indirect question.
>>
File: 1487279080244.png (6KB, 417x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487279080244.png
6KB, 417x500px
>>74231037
You are still evading the mistake.

>Peter, can you close the window?
This is a question. Whether it means "are you able to?" or "will you do it for me?" is of no importance: it is constructed like a question.

But your original sentence was:

>But I honestly am flat out broke and it seems like they're running out of print or something?

Simplifying it a bit, it would look like these two sentences:
>I am flat out broke?
>It seems like they're running out?
These are not proper questions, unless you are looking for a Yes/No answer. Which is not the case.
Even the "can you..." example you gave to defend your point is a question looking for a Yes/No answer.

>>74230961
Interesting to know there's a term for this, Japanese is the hedgehoggest language! Unless you count bargaining Turks.
>>
>>74231493
>>But your original sentence was:
>>But I honestly am flat out broke and it seems like they're running out of print or something?
>Simplifying it a bit, it would look like these two sentences:
>>I am flat out broke?
>>It seems like they're running out?
>These are not proper questions, unless you are looking for a Yes/No answer. Which is not the case.
>Even the "can you..." example you gave to defend your point is a question looking for a Yes/No answer.

Even if you say this it's still 100% valid to add a question mark to the end of an uncertain statement to emphasize the lack of certainty, as in "It seems like I'm late or something?"
>>
Can someone check if I understood the sentence right?

ヘ ヘんなコトされてしまっているんですがもう魔法を使っても
Y-you're doing strange/weird/funny things even if you're affected by some magic...
>>
>>74231457
What definitions have you looked at? Indirectness is just indirectness. There are multiple ways to accomplish it.

>However, the meaning of the linguistic means used (if ever there are linguistic means, for at least some so-called "speech acts" can be performed non-verbally) may also be different from the content intended to be communicated.

>>74231493
Like I already wrote, the first part was just the head of a run-on sentence. And what is a proper question? A direct question?
>>
>>74231630
>What definitions have you looked at?
The two you've linked. Neither of them allow simple statements to be indirect questions. That would make LITERALLY ALL UNCERTAIN SPEECH ACTS be indirect questions.
>>
>>74231630
things that aren't questions are not questions

no amount of argumentation can void this

"I wonder what his name is" is not a question, therefore it is not an indirect question, period
>>
>>74231660
Why are you not quoting the part where it says that?
>>
>>74231695
They need to explicitly say that simple statements can be indirect questions. They do not say this. Therefore they do not say that simple statements can be questions. There is no quotation needed because there is no possible quotation for statements that have not been made. If you want to argue that they make this statement then you need to cite it yourself.
>>
>>74231755
That's just being silly again. And the part I just quoted pretty much says that already:
>However, the meaning of the linguistic means used (if ever there are linguistic means, for at least some so-called "speech acts" can be performed non-verbally) may also be different from the content intended to be communicated.

I'm sorry there exists no master list for all possible indirectess in the English language.
>>
>>74231806
That quotation does not say that statements can be questions. It says that "linguistic means" do not have to be the same as the pragmatics caused by those means. It says nothing about statements vs questions.
>>
File: 1468205257930.png (51KB, 1672x622px) Image search: [Google]
1468205257930.png
51KB, 1672x622px
>>74231630
Let's reverse roles for a moment, allow me to ask questions.

What answer were you expecting to be given to your ?-ending sentence?
How is engaging the interlocutor in the dialogue by using an interrogative ass-pull more indirect/polite (the only justification for this construction to even exist) than just leaving it as a statement that requires no involvement from the interlocutor? Why get irritated if the interlocutor responds to it? Is he expected to know it's a non-question? If it's a non-question, then why not write it like it is, as not-a-question?

Really makes you think.
Really makes you think, doesn't it?
>>
>>74231903
"They are, I have evidence X of it."
"They aren't, it's a publication of type Y. Type Y don't run out of print."
>>
>>74231839
http://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/indirect_questions.htm
>An indirect question is a question embedded inside a statement (i.e., a declarative sentence) or another question (i.e., an interrogative sentence).
>>
>>74232114
>Here it is as an indirect question in a statement:
>She asked whether I liked cheese.

Yeah, no, whoever wrote this doesn't understand English grammar. This is objectively wrong.
>>
>>74232114
And the guy on 4chan knows everything on grammar. The guy who runs that website is a best-selling author on grammar.
>>
>>74232236
"whether I liked cheese" is not a question. It is an embedded conjunction. There is nothing question-like about it at all.

The statement says that she asked a question. But there is no actual indirect question in the statement "She asked whether I liked cheese".

Finally, "indirect question" is not "real" jargon in English. The linguistic term for this type of speech act is "hedging".
>>
I'm gay.

No, no, I'm not saying what my sexuality is, I'm literally stating that my identity is the concept of being in the state of being gay. Indirect state of being and all.
>>
>>74232236
appeal to authority
>>
>>74232273
Hedging is very similar but not the same thing.
>>
>>74232342
Indirect questions are always hedging.
>>
>>74232342
if they're not hedging then there's nothing indirect about them
>>
>>74232236
If someone who publishes a grammar guide doesn't flaunt linguistics experience, they are not to be trusted, no matter how promising they seem. Grammar Monster is actually better than most vulgar English grammar resources, but it absolutely does not tend to use proper terminology. This is one such case.
>>
>>74232640
You just went off about appeal to authority but now you work an ad hominem about the guy not flaunting linguistics experience, lmao. I'm tired of this shit, I'll head to bed.
>>
>>74232778
>You
Not everyone in the US is the same person.
>>
>>74232823
Knowing you you'd be autistic enough to post on two devices at once, just to get to pretend like you have a friend.
>>
>>74232867
You don't know me.
>>
>>74232867
>if multiple people argue with me it's actually one person samefagging
you are literally cancer
>>
File: 1464268518945.jpg (107KB, 640x591px) Image search: [Google]
1464268518945.jpg
107KB, 640x591px
I would still like answers to these:
>>74196234
>>74199859

Also,
>商品の品質を何より大切にしています。
>We place value in product's quality over anything else.
>この仕事は誰よりも早くできます。
>Can do this job more quickly than anyone else.

What if I want to ask "Who can you do this job faster than?", or "as opposed to what are your products better?", can I do it using 何/誰のより? 何/誰かより?

何/誰かより sounds like "doing faster/better than someone/something", but not a particular person/thing, not really asking for a person.
>>
File: B_2.jpg (548KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
B_2.jpg
548KB, 1920x1080px
I plan to memorize kana by this monday.
>>
>>74234713
Why not today?
>>
>>74234713
>by this monday
それは早くないよ。でもかわいい。
>>
>>74234255

If I'm following what you are asking, you would just put a noun in place of those interrogative words in those constructions

この仕事は民生さんよりも早くできますか
商品の品質を量より大切にしていますか
Can (you) do this job quicker than Tamio?
Do (you) value the quality of the products over the quantity?
>>
Is there an online sentence bank/database extracted from media, e.g. anime, manga, drama, tv shows, etc.?
>>
>>74235434
No, but you can extract such a sentence bank from most visual novels.

https://tlwiki.org/?title=Tools
>>
>>74235307
Almost, anon!
I want to put "who" and "what" in place of "Tamio" and "the quantity".
>>
>>74234713
>memorize
Learn.
>>
舌打ち
>>
>>74231586
Unless there is context or previous topic that would indicate otherwise, always assume that the subject is first person by default in any (non-interrogative) sentence. In absence of context 話しかけた can only be "I spoke to someone".
Then, think of the passive as a way to avoid switching subjects in sentences, even if the roles of agent and patient are switched. This is one of the many tricks that allows Japanese to drop subjects. Thus 話しかけられた can only be "I was spoken to by someone" without any context.

I believe ても is an abbreviated てもだめ.

I'm being done strange things to me, even if I would use magic it's no good.
>>
File: 1486145746120.png (270KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1486145746120.png
270KB, 351x351px
私のへやにテレビがあります。
>>
sperg has once again returned to japanese thread, we expect immigration
>>
File: jpg.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>decide to watch some variety shows after giving up for a while
>mfw can understand a considerable amount now
feels good man
>>
テスト
>>
File: 1490003416574.jpg (73KB, 375x380px) Image search: [Google]
1490003416574.jpg
73KB, 375x380px
>>74238821
満点
>>
べんきょうしたくない
>>
>>74239488
それなら嫁
>>
>>74239488
やるよ
>>
>>74239488
しなくてよい
>>
>>74239515
やだつまんない
>>74239518
だれが?
なにを?
>>74239521
よかった
>>
File: 1488399956568.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488399956568.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>74239488
どうでもいいでしょう。構わない。貴様と全然喋りたくない。ベェ゛ーカ!
>>
>>74239707
当たり前だろ?
俺はブラジル人との交流が目的だったわけじゃないし、お前もアメリカ人と話すために日本語勉強してないだろ?
といってもそれほどいやがらなくてもいいと思う、マジ傷づくわ
>>
File: 20170404054725_6GX0XeD1rV.jpg (3MB, 2000x2300px) Image search: [Google]
20170404054725_6GX0XeD1rV.jpg
3MB, 2000x2300px
>>74189355
古語の形容動詞ね
古典文法の勉強でも始めたか
>>74193216
vaggie burger is the best
>>74193798
何々じゃないか・・・男言葉
何々じゃないの・・・女言葉
>>74194005
黒髪ロングが好きか?
>>74195743
連体詞「その」は、"the"の訳として、それを強調しているだけ
he is the boy who cooks
彼が料理をする少年だ
>>74196107
連体詞を教えるのはJGから国文法への橋渡しとして、よい教え方だ
俺が、よく書いていたことがわかったようだな
>>
I want to join the Yakuza. I live in Auckland

what do I do
>>
File: 007.jpg (74KB, 640x888px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
74KB, 640x888px
>>74240409
*連体形
>>74196924
>>74197464
会話自体が自然ではない
*日本人の学生は大学の前に高校で習います。
「高校に行きます」と言う
*テストに合格して高校に入ります。
いずれも「自動詞」
>>74197655
確かに、「お前なぁ」と意味で「自分なぁ」とは言うけどな
これは、山口弁だろ?
>>74199449
一部の形容詞で「語幹」+「さ」で名詞を形成する
>>74201237
>>74201281
特殊なcontextでは、使わなくないが、普通は「低さ・小ささ」を使う
>>
>>74240581
If you did something wrong for your boss, then you must cut your finger off by yourself.

still you want it?
>>
>>74240581
New Zealander living in Japan here. Haven't seen any trace of the yakuza, they probably only exist in anime, like tsunderes and girls with non-boring hair colour.
>>
File: 1115349540519.jpg (274KB, 850x925px) Image search: [Google]
1115349540519.jpg
274KB, 850x925px
現実的な髪色の漫画もいいものだと思います
>>
File: 1482212737467.png (188KB, 1280x1097px) Image search: [Google]
1482212737467.png
188KB, 1280x1097px
This is a づ appreciation post.

Post words that have づ on them, like つづく
>>
File: 7f8b00e2.jpg (68KB, 640x731px) Image search: [Google]
7f8b00e2.jpg
68KB, 640x731px
>>74240409
>>74240614
Fuck off pantuya.

>>74240802
Authorities claim that there are around 120 off different 暴力団 operating within 歌舞伎町, so if you're in the mood for clubbing... The police did a bunch of nightclub and business raids near the end of 2016 but let's be honest, that's more for political swagger than anything else.
There are websites with yakuza building maps if for whatever reason you wanted to visit some of their fronts and pretend you are Kiryu from the 龍が如く games.
>>
>>74241206
千鶴
気付く
三日月

>people will never comply and romanize it as dzu and ぢ as dji or dzi
Feels bad.
>>
>>74241239
Apparently at the orientations in Tokyo they like to stand up in front of hundreds of adult foreigners and say "don't go to Kabuki-chou". Which of course makes them all want to go and see what it's like.

I imagine it'd be pretty boring to see them IRL though, can't imagine they're much better than gangs at home.
>>
File: 1414492499238.gif (16KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1414492499238.gif
16KB, 125x125px
マウスが壊れちゃって輪転でスクロールはできない
>>
File: 29340.png (290KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
29340.png
290KB, 700x700px
How do you know when a kanji is read with the bakuten?

Like, sometimes I see 大 read as たい instead of だい
Or 山 read as ざん instead of さん like in 火山

Is there a rule to it, or just arbitrary "it's like that because fuck you"?
>>
>>74236905
what a moronic post

please, enlighten us
>>
>mary has three part-time jobs
What counter would be used for アルバイト?
>>
>>74243474
these are two different issues

>Like, sometimes I see 大 read as たい instead of だい
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go-on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kan-on

>Or 山 read as ざん instead of さん like in 火山
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku

>>74244165
generic counter is fine
>>
as far as flashcard apps go how does shirabe jisho measure up to someothing like anko?
>>
バンプ
>>
File: morimokkori.jpg (74KB, 504x503px) Image search: [Google]
morimokkori.jpg
74KB, 504x503px
that is a かばん語
>>
>>74241487
>I imagine it'd be pretty boring to see them IRL though
From my limited understanding most of their activity is the doldrums of running businesses. For an outsider that would be boring as watching paint dry, unless it involved a personal debt racked up at one of their we-totally-don't-allow-gambling-in-Japan pachinko parlours or hostess clubs and you were trying to remain gambling in the area while avoiding debt collection.
They kind of remind you of the bikie gangs in Australia or New Zealand -do they have chapters/groups in NZ?- in that on the surface they have known clubhouses, known bikie/yakuza ran businesses, etc. yet the government and state police is going on time to time how they are trying to crack down on their gang activities. Sure they are, if turning a blind eye to almost everything counts.

>>74244165
The generic hito/futa/mi counters, 一つバイト、二つバイト、三つバイト、can be used or instead of referring to the number of part time jobs, there is the option to refer to the number of places she works at, as in 一ヶ所・いっかしょ、二ヶ所・にかしょ、三ヶ所・さんかしょ(で)

Mary is a slut. Also, for some reason, this exists
https://mobile.twitter.com/MARY_HART_SAN
>>
>>74240929
では
アマガミ
を観ろ
原画は台湾人だけとね
>>74241206
>>74241354
にいづま(新妻)
ただし、いなずま(稲妻)
こういうのは覚えるしかねーな
ぢは、ちぢみ(縮):まぢか(間近):ちかぢか(近々)
まあ、例は多くない
>>74241239
出来ない子同士で自慰をするのもいいが
native Japaneseを拒否しても意味がないだろう
>>74249009
Don't lie
嘘を教えるな
バイトの数は、「バイトの数は3っつ」とは言うが、「三つバイト」などという言い方はない
>>
File: 7c90cf55f779220909692ff76e086154.jpg (225KB, 778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
7c90cf55f779220909692ff76e086154.jpg
225KB, 778x1000px
>>74244623
I want to spanko anko's manko.

Is this app you are referring to?
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/shirabe-jisho-japanese-dictionary/id1005203380?mt=8
Looks like the Android Aedict app, but with a cleaner user interface. This app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sk.baka.aedict&hl=en
Compared to Anki, Shirabe Jisho looks not at all like something to be used instead of Anki.

>>74249315
Fuck off back to the 日本語スレ, Pantsuya.
Your Japanese is as terrible as your English.
>>
>>74249489
shirabe jisho is primarily a dictionary but also contains word and kanji lists and a spaced repetition flashcard function
>>
>>74249613
So does Aedict, but honestly if you are stuck with iOS, you're better off paying for the version of Anki for iphone or whatever you're using. It really is the best because you get to take advantage of the great vocab, kanji, and grammar decks in the CoR. It's one of those programs which ends up justifying the cost, if you're using an Apple device.
>>
>>74249613
if you want to learn Japanese actually
Come to Japanese Thread
>>
File: 1492584505028.jpg (35KB, 615x630px) Image search: [Google]
1492584505028.jpg
35KB, 615x630px
その後2006年から毎年3枚のアルバムをリリースしていっても変わらず。。。

I thought this was interesting; I read this clause as "From 2006 they released three albums every year", but ultimately it was one album per year for three years. Is that meaning clear in the clause itself? It's my first time seeing 毎年 + amount + verb used with this shade of meaning.
>>
>>74250437
it is not clearly.
if that sentence was written in 2009, there's no choice but to decide by that fact.

if 3枚/年, it had better be written 2006年から毎年3枚づつアルバムを~.
if 3枚/3年, it should be written 2006年から3枚のアルバムを一年毎に~.
though the latter is unnatural a little.

I think that the meaning of the original sentence is the former usually. that is to say, I agree with you.
>>
つまり日本文の方が元々少しおかしい。あまりうまくない文章。
>>
File: 1493353178207.png (282KB, 426x441px) Image search: [Google]
1493353178207.png
282KB, 426x441px
うまるちゃんはどう?
>>
>>74250259
its full of spam right now, I will learn here
許してください
>>
>>74251425
>>74251536

Thanks, that clears up my confusion. I've been reading this writer's blog for a while now, so hopefully I am not exposing myself to too much mediocre composition.
>>
>>74252489
you're welcome :)

I found that page.
perhaps what the writer wanted to say is as follows.
「その傾向は ~と改名してから、その後2006年から3枚のアルバムを毎年リリースしていっても変わらず、~」

”変わらぬ活動を続けていたこと”を一番言いたかったんですね。
>>
Could someone please tell me what the Japanese term for "princess carry" is.
王女持つ and プリンセスキャリー don't seem to be it.
>>
>>74253720

Oh I think I have a better understanding of the 変わらず now. So after the name change, the activities became constant (in other words, no further name change, no new members, etc.etc.) I was interpreting it in a slightly different way.

Could I quickly get your help on this clause, as well?

"彼女達にとって日本がどのように見えていたかは知るよしもありませんが"

"There's no way of knowing how Japan appeared/seemed to them, but.."

I assume that's the general idea, but does 知るよしもありません, have a more emphatic/emotional feeling than, for instance, わからない?
>>
>>74255257
お姫様だっこ
>>
>>74255545
Thank you. I appreciate it.
>>
>>74255263
知る由(よし)もない

・知る術(すべ)はない
・わかろうはずもない
・わかるはずもない
・わかり得ない …少し変
>>
File: 1436495855476.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1436495855476.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
I finished reading Tae Kim grammar guide and I only remember only 30% of the rules

Send help!!
>>
>>74256321
What you need to do is learn how to study in your sleep.
>>
>>74256004

Hmm, so it's kind of like the difference between "I don't understand" and "I am unable to understand", maybe... いつも回答有難うございます。
>>
>>74257456
いえ、こちらこそ話してくれてありがとうございます。 m(_ _)m
thank you for talking with me.

そのページを見付けたけど、
結構皮肉を利かせた言い回しみたいだね。難しい。。
>>
File: IIIInterbrand__.jpg (110KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
IIIInterbrand__.jpg
110KB, 640x619px
The 日本
>>
>>74257670
>>74258026

>結構皮肉を利かせた言い回しみたいだね

歌詞に言及しますか

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFj5aSWC04

「これが人生だ ての・はは・さいと」とどういう意味だかなぁと思った。I don't think the song is trying to be malicious or insulting.
>>
I meant to increase my reviews by 50 today but I accidentally did new words by 50.

How do I fix this?
>>
>>74263032
Put your new words back down again dummy. Also don't limit reviews
>>
>>74263260
I only see an option to increase, I'm probably retarded though.

Only been limiting reviews these past few weeks because I was working longer shifts and I had less time in the evening and still wanted to make it the bottom to get the new words.
>>
File: 1465223504637.jpg (329KB, 1255x900px) Image search: [Google]
1465223504637.jpg
329KB, 1255x900px
>>74263394
>I only see an option to increase
That's because there are no brakes on the Anki rape train.
>>
>>74264182
>>74263394
>>74263260
I set the restart time to 12 hours past midnight and it reset the changes then set it back to 1 hour past midnight if anyone is curious.

Not sure what damage it may have done though.
>>
暗記できたぁー!
>>
File: Ginga.png (7KB, 577x338px) Image search: [Google]
Ginga.png
7KB, 577x338px
トリガーになった!
>>
File: Untitled.png (36KB, 711x650px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
36KB, 711x650px
>>74265376
>Not sure what damage it may have done though.
You're completely fucked now. May as well delete Anki and start Japanese from scratch.
>>
>>74266404
I did it through custom study so that method didn't work.
>>
>>74266659
Custom study doesn't change deck settings, they are merely temporary decks created on the fly for studying outside of the deck settings. You don't have to worry about them altering anything long term. If what was selected was an extra 50 new cards, all that means is for that custom study 50 extra new cards will be added. The next time your reviews come around it will be at whatever the normal deck options are set at, not what the custom study session introduced.
If you want to completely undo the reviews of those extra 50 cards accidentally added through custom study, hitting Ctrl+z will undo your last review. Holding down Ctrl and repeatedly hitting z can effectively undo your entire session, one review at time. Do that a bunch of times and you can undo your added cards and go back to normal.
There is an easier way. Go in to the card browser, select all the extra cards added and reviewed which you didn't want, select Edit and go down to "Reset scheduling and learning on selected cards". That's another way to undo the added new cards you didn't want to add yet.

Anki will let you undo any recent changes, no stress.
>>
>>74267191
>ctrl z
Wow, of all the things I should have tried.

Thank you though, been searching for an answer to this problem for a while now because I keep end up doing it.
>>
File: 1936586_p0.jpg (322KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1936586_p0.jpg
322KB, 1280x1024px
>>74267371
>Wow, of all the things I should have tried.
Anki is funny like that, sometimes overly straight forward.
Enjoy your studies, man.
>>
今日も勉強したくないぞい
>>
>>74267781

ありがとう、頑張りましょう!

>>74267795
あなたも!
>>
File: ert34trgf.png (171KB, 1322x635px) Image search: [Google]
ert34trgf.png
171KB, 1322x635px
Referring to my attached image, does anyone know the proper anki styling/css/html/code to place the corresponding English sentence underneath its Japanese sentence, i.e. make the card on the left-hand side look like the card on the right-hand side (*the RHS just follows the template below)

{{furigana:Sentence-Reading}}
<br>
{{Sentence-English}}
>>
>>74268431
Not possible since both sentences are in the same field, unless you monkey around with line-height and absolute positioning or something.
>>
Does 練習続けましょう sound like a natural way of saying, "Let's keep practicing", or "Let's continue to practice"? The context being, we were studying and got sidetracked.
>>
File: 1473210531855.jpg (44KB, 446x438px) Image search: [Google]
1473210531855.jpg
44KB, 446x438px
寝坊しちゃった!
Lost an Anki day for the first time in one year or so... took the opportunity to go back to bed and slept for 15 hours.

I must also express how impressed I am - Pant*ya replied to three of my posts and didn't answer anything related to my questions on all of them! That's quite the feat.

>>74256321
That's okay, it was the same for me. I re-read the guide 1 year later and I'm absorbing over 80%. All because I have read and heard several sample sentences. (And a few mango, but I don't read much.)
If you use these 30% to read and come back to Tae Kim a few months from now, everything will make way more sense.

>>74267781
The dot on her head is making me angry.
>>
>>74272492
>The dot on her head is making me angry.
Pretty sure she put one of the flowers in her hair.
>>
>>74269638
That's what I expected. Thanks for your input.
>>
>>74272258
It sounds perfectly natural for me.
I'd rather say "練習を続けましょう" instead but it's only a matter of personal preference.
>>
So Im about half way through the core 6k. Should I have been doing the optimized deck instead? I have it set to learn about 100 new cards a day to eliminate the problem of seeing cards with the words I already know and not waste too much time. But still I wonder about that other deck.
>>
>>74274586
Where did you get this "core6k"? It's impossible to tell what deck you're talking about if you're not using the Core6K linked in the OP.
>>
File: anki_2017-04-30_16-15-01.jpg (50KB, 533x379px) Image search: [Google]
anki_2017-04-30_16-15-01.jpg
50KB, 533x379px
>>74274819
This one.
I think I got it from the anki site on the decks page.
>>
>>74274901
Isn't that the deck where you do 3 cards to learn 1 word? Yes, you should switch or at least cull it of everything but the vocab recognition cards. It's a huge time suck for words that are mostly so common they'd be second nature just by reading a few books even without Anki.

What caused you to search for the deck on the Anki site instead of the OP? I've seen a bunch of people do this.
>>
>>74275296
Cant say for everyone but I downloaded all the decks when i first started learning the 2k and have been just going with it.
I did notice it has a couple of the same vocab but does having a high new card amount not balance it out? If I'm looking at more sentences I thought maybe I could retain the vocab a bit better. So I never felt like switching to the optimized even after I found it
If I may ask, how many new cards did you do at my point in learning?
>>
>>74275296
I did 30 new words. Most people do 15-30. I've never seen anyone sustain 100 cards a day for more than a month or two, so you're risking burn-out. It will also probably be difficult to find the time to read native content if you're doing that much Anki. Up to you, but it's not the most efficient path in my opinion.
>>
Can perfective form be used for commands?

I've seen a few examples that seem like it in old style Japanese.
>>
Can someone who uses Yomichan post their Front Template/Back Template/Styling? I'm setting up Yomichan because of Rikaisama's death but my cards aren't getting imported correctly.
>>
>>74276879
Yes.
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/132183/meaning/m0u/%E3%81%9F/
>6 命令の意を表す。「さあ、どんどん歩いた、歩いた」
>>
>tfw水曜日にテストある
怖い(´・ω・`)
>>
File: Untitled.png (213KB, 696x940px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
213KB, 696x940px
>>74278079
(*´・ω・)(・ω・`*)
>>
File: 1467026807354.jpg (48KB, 437x471px) Image search: [Google]
1467026807354.jpg
48KB, 437x471px
Alright, time to get back to studying new words!

What is the easiest way to create new cards into the Core setup? Hooking tools? Ctrl+C Ctrl+V field by field? Shouldn't be much more than 3~4 of them (Kanji, Kana, Meaning and Sample sentence).

I have a list of joyo kanji I haven't learned yet to manually look up, how do I pick the most useful words from the available ones? Or should I pick the ones I fancy more?

Currently, I plan using Jisho and manually input new cards. 20 a day.
>>
Is the "Japanese is hard" thing a meme?
>>
>>74278533
Language difficulty is proportional to the difference from your native.
>>
>>74278533

t. beginner who doesn't realise he needs to learn at least 40k words, yet.
>>
>>74278399
Would you mind posting the list of kanji you have yet to learn?
>>
>>74278715
It's the missing kanji from Core10k.

I just tried generating the Kanji Grid list, but it seems fucked in this computer. I'll post them later when I get to my main PC.
>>
File: Fgm6ma8.png (289KB, 1392x805px) Image search: [Google]
Fgm6ma8.png
289KB, 1392x805px
>>74278625
at most
>>
>>74279079

What does the 'assumed known words' column mean?

99% comprehension is still not understanding 1 in 100 words, too.
>>
>>74278715
Alright, here you go:

Grade 5 - 俵
Grade 6 - 鋼冊蚕尺仁陛
Junior HS
亜尉壱姻韻浦疫悦謁翁乙佳寡禍箇雅劾岳潟喝
褐棺款忌騎朽糾享凶恭矯暁斤虞桑勲薫慶渓圏
弦侯坑孔江貢酵剛拷墾懇宰崎桟嗣肢諮賜滋璽
漆疾爵酌朱狩儒囚舟叔俊准殉遵叙匠升宵抄硝
礁祥肖詔壌浄醸嘱薪迅陣帥髄枢畝逝隻拙窃仙
漸塑租壮曹賊泰胎沢但丹逐嫡鋳弔勅朕鎮塚坪
貞呈艇逓迭殿斗棟痘謄凸屯尼弐尿把覇陪伯伐
帆畔藩頒妃罷姫賓附墳丙俸芳某奔膜繭妄柳庸
窯酪吏硫隆竜糧陵厘塁累隷廉錬楼郎
New Joyo
畏茨咽淫臼唄怨旺岡牙蓋葛釜玩畿僅錦駒串窟
舷梗痕采阪埼柵斬腫腎脊腺詮膳曽捉椎鶴填藤
栃奈斑汎膝肘媛阜蔽勃冥麺冶弥湧妖沃藍梨璃
瑠麓傲刹哺毀恣慄憬拉摯瘍緻羞訃諧踪辣錮
>>
>>74278914
Looks like you're missing the following, based on the deck I have, which is close to 260 odd kanji

鋼冊蚕尺仁陛
亜尉壱姻韻浦疫悦謁翁乙佳寡禍箇雅劾岳潟喝
褐棺款忌騎朽糾享凶恭矯暁斤虞桑勲薫慶渓圏
弦侯坑孔江貢酵剛拷墾懇宰崎桟嗣肢諮賜滋璽
漆疾爵酌朱狩儒囚舟叔俊准殉遵叙匠升宵抄硝
礁祥肖詔壌浄醸嘱薪迅陣帥髄枢畝逝隻拙窃仙
漸塑租壮曹賊泰胎但丹逐嫡鋳弔勅朕鎮塚坪貞
呈艇逓迭殿斗棟痘謄凸屯尼弐尿把覇婆陪伯伐
帆畔藩頒妃罷姫賓附墳丙俸芳某奔膜又繭妄柳
庸窯酪吏硫隆竜糧陵厘塁累隷廉錬楼郎
畏茨咽淫臼唄怨旺岡牙葛釜玩畿僅錦駒串窟舷
梗痕采阪埼柵斬鹿腎脊腺詮膳曽捉椎填藤栃奈
斑汎媛阜蔽勃冥麺冶弥湧妖沃藍梨璃瑠傲刹哺
毀恣慄憬拉摯瘍緻羞訃諧踪辣錮

>What is the easiest way to create new cards into the Core setup?
How much information do you want to have for these remaining kanji vocab for Core? Using this site it was easy to grab a few vocab words for 俵
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/187605/meaning/m0u/
This is tabbed spaced, copy pasted straight out of a spreadsheet:
https://pastebin.com/F4tm4Crs

Depending on your field order, as long as the first column has something in it, it will generate a card if you have the data set up as a tabbed space text file, with each tab designating a shift in field and each row a new card.
>>
>>74279618
Ah fuck, didn't have the thread auto-updating.
>>
What is/was your motivation for learning Japanese?

I'm learning it for watching Japanese stuff without subs or English dubs, shitposting on Japanese imageboards, video games, music, and because I like the language.
>>
>>74280426
So I can buy books in the God tier paper size, A6.
>>
File: 1487176282591.jpg (180KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1487176282591.jpg
180KB, 1280x854px
>>74279769
So you get the words from this site, then pick the definition from somewhere else?
There is also this site I saved from DJT some time ago for sample sentences: http://yourei.jp/土俵

Then I guess I will start making Excel tables, then paste the 20 daily new words into a .txt when it's time to import to Anki.

Too bad there won't be audio anymore, maybe Forvo could help, but looks like too much of a hassle to put together.
>>
>>74279274
you're welcome to conduct your own study friendo
>>
File: Capture.png (44KB, 448x760px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
44KB, 448x760px
>>74280562
Here are the first 25 kanji I grabbed words for:
https://pastebin.com/sHWxcpQs

I used Rikaisama to simply hover over words, hitting "s" to save them to a text file. The textfile, which by default is called "rikai.txt" and saves somewhere on your desktop, is already formatted in a manner that allows it to be directly imported into Anki but by copy/pasting it into a spreadsheet you can arrange the data a little more to your deck. That or go into the Rikaisama options and change the word save behaviour.
You can see the spreadsheet in pic related.
>>
>>74280707
Forgot to mention, but if you end up using Rikaisama to help automate the process, here are two pages you can reference for the abbreviations in front of definitions:
http://www.edrdg.org/jmdict/edict_doc.html
http://www.edrdg.org/wwwjdic/wwwjdicinf.html#code_tag
>>
>>74280426
All of what you said and as learning a harder language that's not similar to English or Spanish. I delude myself saying that it could be good for my career in CS. Plus Japan has great designers too.
>>
>>74278399
i think you should use a published epwing dictionary instead. not only are they more accurate, the selection of words is also more likely to be relevant. jisho contains a lot of archaic/garbage words when selecting words for kanji learning. there are several kanji in your list that are practically only used in one or two words and you might miss that if your dictionary contains archaic stuff.
>>
>>74280426
I forgot to mention エロ.
>>
File: _1.png (119KB, 449x640px) Image search: [Google]
_1.png
119KB, 449x640px
>>74280426
月日は百代の過客にして、
行かふ年も又旅人也。
舟の上に生涯をうかべ、
馬の口とらえて老をむかふる物は、
日々旅にして旅を栖とす。
古人も多く旅に死せるあり。
>>
adding to >>74281048, if your goal is to learn joyo for the sake of joyo, you need to verify somewhere what the joyo readings are to get words for them. i didn't go through the list produced by helpful >>74280707 but i saw in the picture that the joyo サン reading for 蚕 doesn't have a word (養蚕 silkworm breeding).
i don't know a good online source for this because i'm not particular with joyo or not and when i am i actually use a paper dictionary.
>>
>>74281349
Those were primarily grabbed from the first page of results from goo. As in:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/jn/%E8%9A%95/m0p1u/
On the second page of that dictionary there are entries
さん【蚕〔蠶〕】
さん‐か【蚕架】
さん‐が【蚕蛾】
さん‐ぎょう【蚕業】
さんぎょう‐しけんじょう【蚕業試験場】
etc.
A lot of these entries are taken from the digital daijisen dictionary, by the looks of it.
>>
I'm about 1200 words into core10k, is 50 cards a day too fast or not fast enough? It feels like it's taking forever to go through
>>
>>74273545
Awesome, thank you
>>
>>74281521
I do 20, 50 at that many cards might be okay but it starts to pile up pretty fast and I started to struggle.

I'm at 3200ish and I've been going about 4 months. Maybe I'm slow though, I don't know.
>>
>>74281555
A problem for me is that sometimes I already know half of the words and sometimes they're mostly new, so it's kind of fucking up my idea of how many I should do. I started core10k when I decided to study seriously again so there's a lot that's review
>>
>>74281521
Do you have some sort of vocab base or is this your first time seeing most of these words?
At 50 new cards a day it may end up taking between a hour or two hours on average once you hight your peak load reviews. That isn't so bad if you can set time aside to break the reviews up into chunks throughout the day but it is still going to be substantially more reviewing than 20 cards a day.
Set yourself an arbitrary hard limit of the time you are willing to spend on Anki every day reviewing that deck, wait till your first day of reviewing goes over that limit and stick with it for the duration of a week. If by then it is something you can't handle, drop your new cards down by a third or a half. Eventually a sweet spot will arise.
>>
>>74281641
Vocab base, it's also more like 100 cards a day but recognition/production so 50 new terms at max
>>
>>74281640
I did the same thing with about a year of random self study and was confidently blitzing 100 words a day until about 800-1000. You start encountering Kanji you have never even remotely seen before. And then it really starts to sink in just how many kanji even exist, how many reviews you end up with and the blank stares into the black screen completely forgetting what you thought you had a grip on.
When you feel that feeling, it's time to maybe drop to 20, I feel like it's better to take it in small chunks, feels better for retention.

Plus I swear the deck is structured into 20 card increments anyway. It feels like each day I'm learning similarly relating things per 20 cards so long as I stay on a easily divisible number (ex. 3240 to 3260 or 1200 to 1220 etc.)
>>
>>74281787
Yeah, I'm kind of having the same experience. I haven't been reading manga at all this past week though so Anki has been my only real method of study
>>
File: 1472642751817.png (24KB, 1278x753px) Image search: [Google]
1472642751817.png
24KB, 1278x753px
I messed a bit with Anki card-adding process to see how it works and managed to produce pic related manually.

Got the audio from Forvo by using an extension that lets me download media to a folder, then drag-and-dropped the audio file into Anki, fortunately it automatically creates a copy in the Media Collection folder and generates this [sound:] tag for me.

The tricky part was figuring out I had to clone my Core card template and then manage the fields, else the layout looked like shit.

>>74280707
Will I have to downgrade Firefox for that? Even with automatic updates on a lot of sites keep pestering me about upgrading, not sure if should.

Also, you said
>is already formatted in a manner that allows it to be directly imported into Anki
Does that apply to Rikaisama only, or is there an Anki option somewhere to batch-import cards from a txt like that? It would help, although adding audio would probably still require manual labor.

I'm reading Rikai's website right now to get to know the tool a little better.

>>74281048
>>74281349
I understand the Jisho warning, I see a lot of very niche vocabulary over there.
Is Epwing available online? Apparently Rikaisama has it, but not sure I'll be able to use the extension. If not, how about the dictionary.goo.ne suggested by Oosutoraria-chan?
>>
File: Untitled.png (371KB, 1155x594px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
371KB, 1155x594px
Found this on an edgy "indie gurl xD" clothes site that my model friend sent me to, I can't stop laughing at the irony of it
>>
>>74282300
Irony? Isn't that more of a case of sheer ignorance from the person who okayed it?
>>
>>74280707
>>74281980
Alright, I managed to install Rikaisama for now.

How did you get that "noun" field in your import list? None of the listed $tags seems to add that.
>>
>>74281886
For me, Anki was when I actually got serious with structured study, I had no idea what the fuck I was doing before it and I was inefficient as fuck.
>>
File: 1474147239063.png (358KB, 769x772px) Image search: [Google]
1474147239063.png
358KB, 769x772px
I put $i (Title) just as a makeshift PoS filler for now, but how $s (Sentence) became "Inflection information: 走った" beats me.

Also, that's a long-ass definition.

Apparently EPWing is an offline dictionary you download it and associate other software with, I'll get it from the CoR and see what happens.
>>
>ジムのだ。
It is of Jim. (It is Jim's.)
>ジムなのだ。
It is Jim (with explanatory tone)

What exactly is meant by explanatory tone?
>>
>>74283064
Imagine there's a "Why," before the sentence.
>>
>>74283108
no no,
more like, imagine there's a "well" before each sentence

>well, it is Jims
>>
>>74283108
I don't know, I watch through his Tim's video but I just can't quite wrap my head around why the first example isn't enough.

>>74283158
This kind of helps but still searching for when it might be relevant enough to even practice it.
>>
File: 1479376641865.png (32KB, 498x352px) Image search: [Google]
1479376641865.png
32KB, 498x352px
Uh... okay, I have installed EBWin, but I still have this Kenkyusha New Japanese-English Dictionary (5th ed) folder with some files, including a Setup that looks like pic related.

Should I proceed blindly?

>>74283198
- Where is him?
- He'll be here.
- How can you be so sure の?
- It's Jim なのだ.
>>
>>74283064
It's the difference between stating something on its own, and stating something as part of an explanation

>These shoes are Jim's
>['Why are these shoes here?'] They're Jim's
>>
>>74283198
your two sentences say completely different things so you shouldn't really be comparing them to begin with.

ジムなのだ compares with ジムだ
>>
>>74283364
Got them from Tae Kim.

>>74283333
Quads clears it up pretty good. I think it's just hard to identify.
>>
>>74282647
I've been on and off studying for years, I'm a prime example of being unable to learn Japanese. This time will be the time
>>
poor japanese thread, spammer is back
>>
>>74283455
The source of the overtone is the fact that having の at the end of a phrase changes the form of the word from the 終止形 to the 連体形. Normally, the 連体形 would be used before some kind of noun to describe it, like the 綺麗な in 綺麗な女, or the 歩いてる in 歩いてる男. When the word is in the 連体形 instead of the 終止形 at the end of a phrase, like in 綺麗なのだ or 歩いてるのだ, it makes it sound like the phrase is describing or explaining something. The nuance is more subtle than that, probably, but it's hard to put into words in English.

It used to be that you could do the same thing without a particle, because the 終止形 and 連体形 were still distinct for verbs and i-adjectives as well, so you could just change the form of the final word to achieve the same effect. In the same way that ending a sentence with けど or が adds a nuance that something might be contrary to it, or ending with a word conjugated into the 連用形 or the te-form makes it sound like there's still something left to say, ending with a word conjugated into the 連体形 adds a nuance that the statement offers an explanation as to why something is the way it is, or something to that effect.
>>
How do you guys deal with pairs like
破る 破れる
治る 治す
開く 開ける
Etc.

I can never remember which one is supposed to be which
>>
>>74284130
This takes practice. There are some patterns, although not 100% reliable. Here's something I've noticed:

If it's a eru aru pair, the eru will be transitive, the aru intransitive.
If the verb with eru (or e_u) is longer than the aru/a_u verb, this rule is reversed.
>>
>>74284183
Fug, that shit is so annoying
>>
>>74283108
>>74283158
No, you're both wrong. Imagine there's an, "Oh, so..." at the beginning of the sentence.

>Oh, so it's Jim.

>>74283198
Imagine you and your friend are expecting Jim. You hear a knock at the door. When you open it, it's Jim. It's Jim.

Imagine you and your friend aren't expecting anyone. You hear a knock at the door. When you open it, it's Jim. Oh, so it's Jim.
>>
>>74284130
Verbs like that that end in す are also generally transitive. It comes from the same place as the せる・させる causative conjugation. So that 治る is to get better and 治す is to cause to get better, 落ちる is to fall and 落とす is to cause to fall, etc.
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.