[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1828

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 60

File: .jpg (318KB, 1854x1080px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
318KB, 1854x1080px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Special /int/ FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to /a/
There's the door

Last thread:
>>72493966
>>
>>72554794
It was mostly BRs and a new-zealander who were sperging out here before convincing mods to let their autism be tolerated on the DJT on /jp/, and since a lot of people are straddling both that thread and this one, he probably is one of those autists who made his home on /jp/. I would disregard or filter the BRs and that new-zealander if I were you guys.
>>
>>72555700
I made like 10 threads on /qa/ and spammed Hiro's email to get us /jp/ so you can also disregard and filter leafs.
>>
>>72555700
Hey, fuck you.

There were around 5 BRs during the /a/ wars. After the /jp/ diaspora, 2 remained and the autism was gone. A couple others joined afterwards, no problem.

This one who refuses to write like a human being is very sporadic as he dwells on the /jp/ threads.

As for New Zealand, it's indeed a single faggot who has already admitted to shitposting over /jp/ to "protect the culture", so feel free to block it.
>>
>>72556016
Yet you're still here, so all those arguments about not wanting flags because it's like forced trips and the thing about /int/ being /pol/ 2.0 was bullshit? Colour me surpised. I knew only underaged autists who always get what they want from mommy were the ones complaining to mods leading the today's schism. Seriously kys mate.
>>
Am i the only one who has never been to /jp/'s djt?
>>
I feel bad for treating the American who wanted to go to Japan so badly now. Poor guy was just asking questions.
>>
>>72556094
You're right, some BRs who stayed are fine, but if the /jp/ ones are going to be shitposting all over our DJT, there aren't many solutions.
>>
>>72556217
I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't insult him for no reason, you were just telling him how he was wrong(and an insult, even tho pointless, may be justified because by "belittling japanese" he was more or less belittling the efforts/mental capacity of most/all of us here) which might be useful to him, since having the ilusion or hope of learning japanese "fairly quickly" may turn out to be incredibly frustrating.
>>
>>72556016
お疲れさん
やっぱ今の状況って最高よね
>>
>>72556575
It is, now go back to the autist den you came from.
>>
File: 230.png (18KB, 148x168px) Image search: [Google]
230.png
18KB, 148x168px
>>72556184
You're not the only one. I don't like /jp/ in general, I never go there and I probably never will.
>>
>>72556184
I used to visit all 4 generals simultaneously, but lately it's 90% /int/ and 10% /jp/. I just answer a couple questions when someone is getting shat on instead of getting help.
>>
>>72556642
Nobody here like /jp/ besides the people that petioned for a /jp/ DJT, yet all of those retards keep lurking here even though they complained and shitposted for a whole month that this place was entirely inadequate for DJT. Fuck them for dividing DJT and fuck them for their hypocritical ways.
>>
>>72556837
Petitioned*
>>
File: 32.jpg (19KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
19KB, 704x396px
>>72556184
How active is their /djt/, anyway?
I'm guessing it's more active than our /djt/, but with more arguing?
>>
>>72557045
I just went there to have a look.
Do these count as being active?
>>>/jp/16739652 >>>/jp/16739742 >>>/jp/16739779 >>>/jp/16739585
>>
>>72557102
The post dissection is a bit tedious, but it's not bad overall. If someone posting absurdly wrong nonsense like "you learn nuance through production" in this thread, it would probably go uncorrected and beginners would be misled.
>>
ここの外人さんは英文書いたのを添削してくれますか?
>>
>>72557441
たぶんと思う
添削がほしい日本人わここによくいる (ある?いる?分からない :/ )
>>
I've been reading Yotsuba and some of the colloquialisms have been killing me, in particular this.

あーあいつ用が入ったからこねえって

Is the (あー) just expressing exasperation? With the remaining meaning something along "Because a task (of his) came, he said he can't come." Is that right?
>>
>>72557732
*came up
Yeah i think you got it more or less right(Don't take my word for it tho). If you watch a lot of anime you can just imagine someone voicing stuff like that to get a feeling of what they're saying.
Stuff like こねえって bother me a lot more than あー
>>
>>72557732
>あー
Ah,
>あいつ
that nigga
>用が入ったから
because a task showed up
>こねえ
won't come
>って

あーあいつ「用が入ったからこねえ」って
Oh yeah, she said "Something came up, so I can't go".

Does this help?
>>
>>72557816
>あいつ
that nigga
I'm laughing so hard at this, good job anon
>>
>>72557816
Yeah, thanks. Also is determining what is quoted just through context here? Could it also mean "Something came up, so he said he can't come." ?
>>
>>72557950
I think so. Have more self confidence Anon, you apparently know this.
>>
>>72557950
If she was referring to a third person, yeah, it could work grammatically. The only information being transmitted here is "won't come because of errand", the rest is assumed to be already known by the listener.

But >>72557802 's answer made me think: I can't really tell whether the quote is the whole 「用が入ったからこねえ」 bit as I said or if it's just 「こねえ」. Both could work.
>>
>>72557732
>>72557950
Japanese: The Manga Way is great for learners who are really unfamiliar with these sorts of things.
https://mega.nz/#!6hlnVAYI!UFFH7L5QCW3Lm09nri0NqKh3z76F-v-ETxLjEx_PczE
As >>72557996 said, 自信持って
>>
>>72558192
I'm mostly interested in novels and VNs, just thought that Yotsuba would be a good starting point. I'll probably give it a read to get a better feel for colloquialisms anyways, since I'm sure they're across all kinds media (probably less so than manga I hope).
>>
Three questions. Going through the core deck. Word is give. Flash card says a-ge-ru. Girl pronounces it a-ne-ru. Why? This happens on other cards too. Hiragana spells out one word, yet one syllable has an altered pronounciation.

Also should I zoom in my browser when reading Japanese? It's hard to make out what the symbols are.
>>
>>72559429
G is often produced nasally, with an "ng" sound, in Japanese. It's very easy to confuse with the other nasal vowels "n" and "m" for English speakers who aren't used to the language's sounds yet.
>>
>>72559511
I mean nasal consonants, obviously.
>>
バムプ
>>
月 can be read as つき or げつ
年 can be read as ねん or とし

Is there any rule as to how it is read in words such as current year/every year/last year/next year or should I just memorize every use case? I always get confused on those readings.
>>
>>72561093
つき is for "moon"
げつ/がつ is for month

ねん is for amount of years とし is for a words that have something to do with year such as "older" 年上 (としうえ)
>>
>>72561206
毎月 (まいつき) means 'every month', though

I haven't seen any words using がつ for month yet, oddly enough.

Thanks for the clear up on the years, though. I hope it helps.
>>
>>72561242
Isn't July > しちがつ?
>>
>>72561297
I haven't got to months yet, but it is.
>>
>>72561242
This is almost always the case. exceptions occur when words have changed over time "Every moon" is probably a phrase that is old as fuck and was used when they still used a lunar calender I guess. And so they use つき there.
Need some grammar help.

日本の女は綺麗じゃないでしょう

Can you just say 綺麗ない? when do you place ない after an adjective and when do you just put じゃない after a sentence to negate it? Or is it just a difference in writing/speaking style?
>>
>>72561242
gatsu is the counter for month, so you use gatsu when naming the months
>>
>>72561310
I think months go just [number] [がつ]

January > いちがつ
February > にがつ
etc.
Easy to remember, right?
>>
>>72561365
Easier than weekdays, that's for sure.
>>
>>72561350
kirei is na-adjective so you need the jya nai or de ha nai attached to end.. its sorta fine when speaking but its technically wrong and very informal
>>
What's the difference between ななand しち when it comes to the number 7?
>>
>>72561417
nothing. they both mean the same and you can use whichever one you like
>>
>>72555621
I feel like Google translate is ruining my motivation to learn Japanese a little ;_;
Ever since Google introduced their new "neutral machine translation" algorithms last November, Google translate has been decent enough where I understand a lot of the plot and dialogue of short manga or doujin. Or at least try to guess what's going on from context.

Instead of being complete gibberish like in the past translated Japanese is now more comprehensible.
>>
>>72561417
They can be both used when counting single digits. しち is more commonly used.

>>72561458
That's wrong when counting in multiple digits, なな has to be used.

ななじゅう
ななひゃく
ななせん
ななまん
>>
>>72561461
That's because you're weak, your bloodline is weak and you won't survive the 冬

Don't willingly let yourself get cucked by the AI meme.
>>
>>72561461
I actually noticed the reverse. When google introduced the neural machina translation it seems like it seriously crapped the bed.

It was so bad I don't even bother with google translation at all and just go look up the words/grammar being used I'm unfamiliar with.
>>
>>72561489
for the number 7, eithers ones good. for counters, its different. but he asked about the number 7
>>
>>72561461
i tried google translating a paper i wrote before and while some keywords are use and the general idea is there sorta, there's a handful of errors. of course its a great source to use though to help out
>>
>>72561489
Numbers don't seem so hard to remember.

10-19 > Juu[number]
20-29 > [2]Juu[number]
30-39 > [3]Juu[number]
etc.
100 > Hyaku
>>
ブラジルくんは昨日の/br/で話したブラジルくん?
>>
よそモソを連れ込みやがって
What mean that phase?
>>
>>72561745
It means you get this (You)
>>
>>72561745
よそモン is 余所者, person from a different place, stranger, outsider. 連れ込む is to bring into. やがる is extra verb that makes it sound like you're angry at what someone else is doing.

>よそモソを連れ込みやがって
What are you doing, bringing some stranger in here?
The meaning might be different depending on context.
>>
>>72561855
No. He is meming.

It says 外持つを連れ込みやがって

It's a fucking NTR phrase meaning that the speaker will take the reader's lover to a love/hotel NTR style.
>>
This is a pretty basic question but how would you respond to someone saying ありがとう? Like how when someone here says thank you, you can reply with "no problem"
>>
>>72562294
いいえ
>>
>>72562294
Also when in doubt just act humble. Saying "no" to praise or when someone thanks/apologizes to you is almost always the correct way to react.
>>
File: 53382460_p0.jpg (119KB, 392x417px) Image search: [Google]
53382460_p0.jpg
119KB, 392x417px
>>72562322
>>72562302
Dunno how I didn't know this before considering I have heard it multiple times before.
Thanks
>>
>>72561554
it's only a matter of time before AI translation is as good as human. They can already beat us in chess.
>>
>>72562416
You'd basically need human level AI for this to happen. Especially with context heavy language like Japanese.

The translation AI basically has to know what the words mean and what the grammar implies. And on top of that know what the story is about to actually use the correct contextual meaning for it.

Chinese is a hell of a lot easier to translate due to heavier use of kanji and being a slightly less contextual language.

For things like English->spanish/german/dutch though I am fairly sure that we will have 100% correct translation within 10 years. I have siblings that don't speak a word English but browse the entire internet with google translate English->Dutch and I wouldn't even notice it was computer translated if I didn't know any better.
>>
>>72562416
Sorry, but that simply won't be possible. The amount of context and implications, multiple meanings, etc. is something only a human would be able to infer, 聞く being a prime example.
>>
>>72562658

We're getting closer than you know. Look up word2vec, essentially you get a program to cram words into a highly multiple dimensional vector space and learn the connections between them allowing you to do vector operations on words for some interesting results. The typical example I've seen given is "King" - "Man" + "Woman" = "Queen" to give you a simple idea. The context of sentences themselves could be supplied as more dimensions in the vector space to help with highly context dependent words like 聞く. If humans can guess what 聞く means depending on the context then that means there are clues embedded in the surrounding the text that show what it means. You could run very simple statistical analyses and probably guess right 60% of the time just based on how often certain words show up near each meaning.
>>
>>72562416
I think you mean go, they've been beating us in chess for decades. I remember learning about AI some years back and being taught that computers would never be able to beat humans at go, that it was impossible because the depth of possibilities was simply too vast. How times have changed.
>>
>>72562820
This is already sorta what google translate does right now and it actually resulted in a less coherent translation.

I agree though eventually it's going to be cracked but look at >>72561745

This is almost a perfect example of japanese versatility. The first part of the sentence is written in hiragana and katakana meaning it can have a wide range of possible kanji there. Then it uses a word (連れ込(み)) with a wide range of different and really specific meanings.

This sentence could mean a lot of things as you can see by the guy that tried to translate it.

Yet if you know the context of this being 4chan and the amount of meme/jokes/trolls then you see what it's very likely to mean.

The translation AI doesn't just get a book or financial reports that have a fuckload of text. It would also get to translate individual sentences like that without context. Parts of spoken conversation where the context isn't understood without visual ques as well such as in visual novels/manga.

The method you propose is good to figure out things where all information is already available in the text provided. This is almost always not the case in Japanese. Most of the information is based on visual ques, preceding events or "common sense". Things which could realistically only be cracked by a human-level AI.
>>
'stop what you've been grinding cause the ai might one day soon(tm) be better - promise!'
yeah nah
>>
>>72561581
I know 600 and 3000 have special pronunciations, can't remember any others right now but there's probably a few
>>
>>72561745
>ソビエト連邦
>ツビエト連邦
>ンビエト連邦
>シビエト連邦
>>
>>72563296

>>
>>72563296
ろっびゃく and さんぜん
>>
>>72561994
There is not NTR.
>>
File: 1234123sdadasd.png (12KB, 656x405px) Image search: [Google]
1234123sdadasd.png
12KB, 656x405px
>want to learn Japanese
>apparently still suck at English

Shouldn't it be "on the surface" or am I fucking retarded?
>>
>>72565842
in certainly sounds weirder than on to me
but my english is pretty sus
>>
>>72565842
These cards weren't made by native English speakers I'm sure.
>>
>>72565842

Both "sound" right to me, personally. Are there not quite a few cases in which prepositions can be interchangeable in English? Anyway, don't worry about that and keep repping and reading.
>>
ひろゆき がフランスに住んでいる理由
生きるのが簡単だと飽きちゃうから
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZU_72e-Jjc
>>
>>72566118
>Are there not quite a few cases in which prepositions can be interchangeable in English?
I don't know anon, I learned English by playing video games and lurking 4chan.

I don't know much of the grammar, it just sounds wrong or right to me, which sometimes causes problems because it sounds wrong in my "German mind" while it's perfectly viable in English.
>>
>>72565842
because we ”look in" something on the surface of the water? I always wonder whether they are intransitive verb + preposition + smt or phrasal verb + objective
>>
File: 1479917944679.jpg (76KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1479917944679.jpg
76KB, 480x454px
I met a Japanese lady who likes kicking me in the balls
>>
>>72566682
try the japanese thread for that
>>
>>72566682
in this case how can I settle how that "in" works? the balls are that big enough to accommodate you? or being pushed into the balls by kick?
>>
>>72566998
the latter
>>
>行き is ゆき and いき
They both mean the same so which pronauciation do I use? Does it matter?
>>
Okey thanks Lee Sensei
>>
>>72567132
Use いき if you are male. This is the more common form in my (limited) experience.
>>
>>72567250
thanks
>>
>>72566121
だろうな。
普通だよ。飽きるというのはその人の言い方だけど、それを”ストレス”と呼ぶ人もいる。そして他人のせいにする。
結局それは飽きてるだけなのに、他の事をやろうとしないからなのだけど。
>>
>>72563298
誰にもわからんネタ言うな > ソ連
俺がわかったのが奇跡
>>
>>72562988
Well, gramps, deep learning/big data wasn't probably a concept back then, so that makes sense.
>>
I suspect that uMatrix is preventing the Rikaisama popup from appearing when the cursor hovers over text. Does anyone know how to create a rule/solution in uMatrix to allow Rikaisama/Firefox extensions?
>>
File: 1462616008361.png (85KB, 294x391px) Image search: [Google]
1462616008361.png
85KB, 294x391px
You say kanji exists to give meaning to words and shit but then how do you explain people talking to each other and understanding perfectly what they're saying?

No matter how it is written, it will sound the same when spoken, so why can't only hiragana and katakana be used in text when it will sound the same when spoken as if written with kanji thrown in as well?
>>
>>72570095
Context.
No spaces.
The tone meme.
>>
>>72570095
ソニアちゃんは暴の嫁です
>>
>>72570095
If you think Japanese can just talk to each other without problems you are wrong.

Almost every (possibly even every) word is a homonym in Japanese. This means that you need an insane amount of context to even know what the word means that the person is saying.

Just look at Japanese TV. Screen is always filled with text with kanji as subtitles to show what word is meant.

Japanese people are even forced to have a different vocabulary when speaking because they use words that are easily recognized and not quickly confused even if there is a better word they know that they could use but could be misinterpreted. In written accounts of Japanese you don't have this limitation so you see far more sophisticated language being used. That's also one way to quickly hear difference between native and non-native speakers. Non-natives tend to use wording that is primarily only used in written Japanese and spoken Japanese interchangeably.

Basically the Japanese really fucked up the language by having such a small sample of distinguishable sounds in it. The Kanji was a coincidental blessing for more complex storytelling and deeper reasoning.

Go play a Pokemon game that is entirely kana written and notice how it picks deliberate words just to avoid confusing people.
>>
>>72570414
僕の嫁です(言い直すの恥ずかしい)
>>
>>72565842
When talking about reflections we tend to say "in". You look at your reflection "in" the mirror. When talking about the surface of a pond though I guess it can go both ways.
>>
>>72570414
>暴の嫁
な、何?!
>>
>>72571695
Actually, now that I think about it, how do you write stuttering in Japanese?
>>
>>72571738
な-なに?!
>>
>>72571738
Either like you did, なっ何 or a combination of both (なっ、何!). You can also use an exclamation point or ellipsis instead of the comma for a different mood.
>>
>>72571738
なっ何?! is usually how I read it in mangas and the like sometimes they make the pause longer by adding "。。っ" between
>>
>>72571794
That's exactly how not to do it. A hyphen looks too much like an いち or extended vowel
>>
File: puffer_2.jpg (48KB, 280x418px) Image search: [Google]
puffer_2.jpg
48KB, 280x418px
ソニアってどこの国のプリンセスだっけ?
>>
>>72572867
ノヴォセリック
>>
>>72572867
ロシア?とは思う。
>>
>>72572949
あぁ、架空の国だっけ。忘れてた。エストニアあたりかなと思ったよ。
>>
>>72572867
俺のハートのお姫様だ
>>
File: 1480215639498.png (221KB, 470x492px) Image search: [Google]
1480215639498.png
221KB, 470x492px
Have you been learning Japanese properly?
>>
File: IMG_9338.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9338.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I'm late (ー ー;) If you have waited,Sorry.
Correct my English \( 'ω')/
>>
>>72574024
Your handwriting seems to be getting better but your english really hasn't improved at all. Are you doing much reading at the moment?
>>
>>72574024
>Your cursive is better than mine
It's a good thing all I need it for is my name.

The first sentence should either say "Since the snow has started to melt", or "Since snow has been starting to melt". The first option is more normal.
>>
what does "counter for.." mean?
>>
>>72575497
it indicates a number of a specific type

For example 5 is just five.

But 5$ means that the 5 is five dollar. $ is the counter for dollar.
>>
>>72574518
Thanks.
No.but I do my best as possible as I can provided I have to study many other subjects. I have been taking precedence to improve reading for an examination so I'm not good at writing even now. And I practice writing in this way.ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
>>72574792
Thank you (=゚ω゚)ノ
I correct it!
>>
>近づく時はセミからアミを隠す感じだ
What does から and 感じだ mean in this sentence?
>>72575497
In order to count things, you can just say the number, you need to add a word that specifies what you're counting.
>>
How do I look up grammar I don't know in the DOJG?
>>
>>72574024
>since snow has been started
Snow has started to melt
>been able to cycle
Been able to ride my bicycle
>season of the end and the start for me
I don't really know what you mean here.
>especially turning point
Especially a turning point
>>
>>72575585
>>72575639

that makes sense, thank you!
>>
When I first encountered 「大丈夫」it looked absolutely nothing like I expected it to even though I didn't really know what to expect. It still looks weird to this day.
>>
>>72575639
AをBから隠す - To hide A from B.
から here means "from".

感じ used like that basically means something like "in this/that manner". For instance, if someone asks you how to do something, you could show them and say こんな感じだ to mean "like this". That would be the same 感じ as the one that sentence.
>>
>>72575809
僕 This is a kanji that little children learn to write when they are 4 and when they get older they start to write 私 (which is less complex)

You'd think japan would just use the simplest symbols as kanji for such common words that the youngest of children would come into contact with. But nope, instant torture the day they arrive at school.
>>
>>72576006
Wait what? I'm pretty sure that kanji is reserved for secondary school level. If a 4 year old had to write 僕 for whatever reason they would probably do it in kana
>>
>>72575708
There's an English index with the english equivalent of the terms featuring in the book.
>>
>>72574024
>Since snow has been started to melt in my town, I have been able to cycle.
「Since the snow has been starting to melt」。冠詞に気をつけてください。
>I realized that winter was over and spring is coming.
なんで「winter was over」は過去形だけど「spring is coming」は現在形?どちらかを直せ
>Spring is season of the end and the start for me.
これは通じるけど不自然。「beginnings and endings」の方がいいかも
>So I felt desolate and uneasy. It's especially turning point of my life for me this year.
「turning point」に不定冠詞が必要。もっと自然にいうと、「This year especially is a turning point in my life」など
>I reconfirmed this regardless of my will.
文法はあってるけど言ってる意味が分からない。無力感を表すつもりかな?
>I have nothing worth writing about so I think I will finish this. However, I am going to play with my friend so I think that I'll be able to keep a diary in plenty.
日本語で大人の間でも「遊ぶ」というんだけど、英語のplayはちょっと子供っぽい言葉だ。「hang out」や「spend time with」などの方が自然。「keep a diary in plenty」は不自然。「so I think that I'll have plenty to write about soon」とか

君の筆記体は綺麗で全然読める。けど最近は減ってるから読めない人もいるだろう。
>>
Do you guys use mnemonics for kanji?
>>
>>72576006
僕 is a grade 8 kanji. I don't know if you are the same Netherlander that has been posting in this thread, but many of your posts are wrong. いく/ゆく has nothing to do with gender, and I think you are seeing memes where there are none in >>72561994, judging by the Russian's response. He asks for help in here all the time and it's never been NTR doujin dialogue before.
>>
>>72578107
I'm the iku guy yes. I don't know about the other stuff. Apparently I was trolled hard in another thread because a nip flag poster said boku kanji was learned in first grade and I took his word for it. Why would I even spread such blatant misinformation if it's so easily refuted? Also I always just use iku and usually see more masculine characters in manga use iku so I assumed it had some tone of masculinity to it but I admitted that my experience was limited and I was unsure. Why do Englishteachers bully me senpai?
>>
Hi, I'd like to ask you what is the meaning of "込む" I know it may be used like this 押し込む to add the "in" meaning but I have seen a lot more different ways of using 込む and I dont really understand them. Would you please explain it to me and give me some examples of using it in the sentences.
>>
>>72578082
Whenever they show up.

水 kinda reminds me of a waterfall

木 looks enough like a tree.

上 points upwards

下 points downwards

etc. I'm evidently a beginner, so I don't know how viable these are for later kanji.
>>
File: gallery-share-1483389780284.png (318KB, 449x425px) Image search: [Google]
gallery-share-1483389780284.png
318KB, 449x425px
learning kanji is a lot harder than I thought, guys...
>>
>>72578640
Well just for the sake of clarity:

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/225173/meaning/m0u/%E3%82%86%E3%81%8F/
>[補説]「いく」の語形も上代からみられ、平安時代以降は「ゆく」と併用される。「ゆく」「いく」はほとんど意味は同じであるが、古くは「ゆく」のほうがより広く使われ、特に訓点資料・和歌(「生く」との掛け詞の場合を除き)では、ほとんどすべてが「ゆく」である。現在では「ゆく」に比べて「いく」のほうが話し言葉的な感じをもち、したがって、「過ぎ行く」「散り行く」など、文章語的な語の場合には「ゆく」となるのが普通である。
The word form "いく" has been seen since ancient times, and has been used interchangeably with "ゆく" since the Heian period. Although "ゆく" and "いく" are virtually identical in meaning, "ゆく" was more widely used in the past, and especially in annotated Chinese texts and Waka poetry (with the exception of plays on the word "生く") it appears as "ゆく" almost exclusively. Today, "いく" is more common as a word used in everyday speech, while, accordingly, "ゆく" is more common in the case of literary terms such as "過ぎ行く" or "散り行く".
>>
How can I know how many cards are due for a given day? I want to know how many cards I'll have to do tomorrow.
>>
Does someone experience the same problem with Rikaisama where there's no audio clip regardless of the word you hover over? Is there something wrong on my end or has languagepod101 deleted or moved their audio files?
>>
Hello can anyone please translate this video for me

https://youtu.be/9zpMAVcvH5Q

Thank you
>>
File: 1474644767805.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474644767805.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
Procrastinating?
Watch me study and feel better about yourself!

https://u.nya.is/bspjgy.webm
>>
>>72580159
Yeah, in your Anki stats.
>>
File: 1444789739269.jpg (47KB, 581x518px) Image search: [Google]
1444789739269.jpg
47KB, 581x518px
>>72580499

>didn't remember 諦めないよ
>>
>>72580192
I'm getting "noaudio" from everything too. I think something must be wrong with their server
>>
>>72580617
Where, exactly?
>>
File: hey.png (53KB, 710x587px) Image search: [Google]
hey.png
53KB, 710x587px
>>72583201
porra presta atenção na tela caralho argentino cego do cacete

熱心に勉強してください!
>>
>>72583542
I think I typed a stray に there
>>
>>72583542
無礼だよ。
I was asking about AnkiDroid, anyway. Sorry for not making it clear.
>>
>>72583956
ごめん
fdp
>>
>>72583956
Setting icon (top left) -> Statistics -> Due tommorow.
>>
File: 1469345104861.jpg (31KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469345104861.jpg
31KB, 848x480px
>>72580998
ゴミン。
>>
>>72580499
Its funny how easy it is to see errors when others do it. Thanks for motivating me to do more reps.
>>
>>72579279
Thanks for pic
>>
hi, what's the difference between 遣る and 為る?
Is it like make and do or something?
>>
File: 1387166452716.gif (693KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1387166452716.gif
693KB, 250x249px
>>72570432
>>
File: 1488835682172.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1488835682172.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>72570432
>>
File: shihtzu2.jpg (21KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
shihtzu2.jpg
21KB, 240x300px
>>72585400
When I learned kana, I associated those to the shih tzu dog breed. Same with hiragana.
>>
>>72585759
And how does that help with differentiating between them?
>>
>>72575612
Do you pick your emoji from a list or do you type them out? I like them.
>>
>>72586719
I simply told myself tsu was the smug smiley going downwards, that made shi the default leaned going upwards.
>>
>>72587037
>emoji
Those aren't emoji anon.
>>
>>72587123
They are in the original sense of the word. Before western tech companies bastardized the whole concept by calling smiley face icons "emoji," all emoji were comprised of ASCII or Unicode characters.
>>
>>72587211
The word you're looking for is kaomoji.
>>
>>72587211
They were called emoticons
>>
>>72587037
>>
File: なるほど.png (11KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
なるほど.png
11KB, 447x378px
>>72587236
>>72587338
I have been humbled
>>
>>72587338
(^_-)-
>>
>>72587338
( ゚Д゚) ~ 何?!
>>
>>72587601
٩(๑ᴗ๑)۶
>>
( ゚д゚ )
>>
http://kaosute.net/jisyo/googlenihongonyuuryoku.shtml
卍━━━ヽ(´ー`)ノ(ノ´ー`)ノ(ノ´ー)ノ(ノ´)ヽ( )ノヽ(ー`ヽ)ヽ(´ー`ヽ)ヽ(´ー`)ノ━━━バクハツ!!
>>
>go grind katakana
>get them all correct in 400 tries
>go write them
>can't go past sa-so

whoops
>>
File: 1407399434850.jpg (61KB, 439x443px) Image search: [Google]
1407399434850.jpg
61KB, 439x443px
>start the VN I was reading
>last save is from 1 month ago
Fuck I thought it was 10days ago, okay I was busy but holy shit a month, I'll never learn Japanese like that.

I can only find enough time for anki, then I do the other stuff I have to do and never have enough energy to read.
I need to manage my time better I think...
>>
>>72588576
That's what happens when you get it the wrong way round. 50 times each in your notebook first (bitch), then the bruteforce grinding.
>>
>>72588644
At the very least you can read manga on your phone before you go to sleep.
>>
Any free Japanese MMOs that aren't region locked? Preferably one with a high school playerbase (or younger) so I can understand what they're saying (not too young though because that's creepy af).
>>
Is there any way I can hook PPSSPP running P3P to Rikaisama?
>>
>>72587338
Any other such easter eggs, オーストラリアちゃん?
>>
>>72588787
This is what I did and I ended up finishing an entire series of nine volumes in three days.
>>
>>72588852
>Any free Japanese MMOs that aren't region locked?
PSO2
>Preferably one with a high school playerbase (or younger)
No such thing, MMO playerbases are always a majority young adults these days.
>>
>>72588873
The only texthooker that can texthook PSP games is ITHVNR. If ITHVNR does not work, then you need to use Hook Any Text and Cheat Engine.
>>
>>72588873
If you can't hook it with "hook any text" then probably not.

I wish there was a reliable way to hook from PPSSPP, there is stuff I badly want to play but guess I'm shit out of luck.
>>
Question:

もしかしてこちらに引っ越してこられた方ですか?

Is the こられた the causative past form of 来る? Idk if it can be potential, but it makes more sense to be the causative. And the てくる here is just a direction supplement indicating its moving towards the speaker (or moving here not away)? I think "Are you the person that is moving here?" is the right translation, but I could be wrong.
>>
File: Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni_cover.jpg (28KB, 240x339px) Image search: [Google]
Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni_cover.jpg
28KB, 240x339px
How difficult is it to read うみねこのなく頃に?
Since it's about witches and since it's set in the 1980's, I'm assuming it may have some obsolete grammar. I've also heard that the epitaph is written in classical/old(?) Japanese. What should I know before I begin reading it?

Also, does it have any difficult vocabulary?
>>
>>72589251
It's written badly and will seem more difficult to comprehend than it is to read.
>>
>>72589125
How are you supposed to do it with ITHVNR?
I never got anything out of it, tried different games.
>>
>>72589421
Dunno, all I know is that ITHVNR is the only thing that's even capable of it, aside from general methods like Hook Any Text.
>>
>>72589249
That's an example of the honorific passive form. It's only conjugated into the passive form to make it less direct and more polite, without changing the basic meaning.
>>
>>72589249
Since 風香 is using incredibly polite language in that scene, perhaps it could be honorific passive?
>>
What does パクリだね mean?
>>
>>72589547
>>72589582
ごめん, I meant passive form. I confused the two.
>>
>>72588965
http://sharetube.jp/article/4318/
>>
>>72588576
>>72588716

I made a grid, and I filled it out with all I could remember.
Then I made the grid again, after recalling the ones I missed. Each time I got more than the previous attempt.

It took me about 7 grids to memorize all the katanana. Not so hard.
>>
>>72589344
>It's written badly
Please elaborate?
>>
>>72589834
r07 tries to execute grammatical gymnastics to be an epic mystery writer on a regular basis but in the end all he manages to do is construct a literally impossible web of objective statements that completely ruins the point he was trying to convey with the story.

That's the angry version. The kind version is that his goals in writing umineko made him indirectly sabotage the dialogue and narration in unreclaimable ways.
>>
>>72589716
What 4chan originally was to 2chan, a knock-off.
>>
File: 1469331149291.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1469331149291.gif
2MB, 400x250px
>>72589916
Would you say the Witch Hunt translation is actually better than the original, then? I didn't know such a thing was even possible.
>>
Any recommendations for listening practice like dramas or movies?
>>
>>72590116
The witch hunt translation is worse than the original but it changes some of the red text in a way that makes there be a real solution.
>>
>>72590165
Alright.
Thanks, anon
>>
>>72590124
Do any of these titles interest you?
Yesterday I found an archived folder which a collection of Japanese subtitles for movies, the pastebin is the directory print out of the file names. I'll upload the folder to mega if you want it.
>>
>>72590431
I'm an idiot, here is the pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/mTARJq2a
>>
>>72589792
Well done, Juan.

I always advocate in favor for grids, they are so much better for learning kana... flashcards are a waste of time since it fails to show the organization of the system.
>>
File: screenshot05.png (1MB, 1365x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot05.png
1MB, 1365x768px
Does の get dropped much in casual situations as a descriptor?

For instance, 日本のワイン becoming 日本ワイン?

I know you don't use の for adjectives so I wondered if it gets dropped more generally in some circumstances.
>>
>>72590623
の can be dropped in contexts where dropping it is not redundant and does not sour linguistic rhythm.
>>
>>72590431
>>72590497
Yea that'd be great if you could
>>
>>72590524
Grids are better for me because the visual accommodation helps

For example I go like "oh yeah レis just ル without the first stroke" since they're next to each other in the standard a i u e o grid.
>>
>>72590818
Not only that, but you don't keep wondering where the fuck is wu, wi, we, si, or why shi has a single kana while sha is a combo.

Seeing them in random strings makes it hard to visualize as an organized system, and this is one of the feel things in Japanese that actually have some tidy organization going on.
>>
>>72590934
Holy shit, I should stop listening to speedcore while trying to write coherent sentences.
>>
>>72590751
https://mega.nz/#F!1FIGRI5A!zFba7S6piUkMeeDdk9S98A
It is the link to the folder, it populates in real time. Would you prefer the entire archive or individual films?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (19KB, 630x511px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
19KB, 630x511px
Finished almost all of Tae Kim's essential grammar section in just 1-2 days.

Is Tae Kim really this easy or am I going too fast? Maybe I should pace myself.
>>
>>72589125
>>72589150
Tried both of these, nothing.
Tried to find scripts, nothing.
Am I shit out of luck?
>>
>>72591369
Your last option is manually searching for the text shown on screen in various encodings with a memory editor like cheat engine or HxD and hoping you hit something. (Preferably cheat engine.)
>>
>>72591369
What game?
>>
>>72591348
You should go at whatever pace you feel the most comfortable with, assuming that you feel you're actually learning. I really do find reading grammar pretty fun, so I can understand why you would have read it so fast.
>>
>>72591348
Stop to ask questions when you get there, not on the way.
>>
>>72591348
Tae kim is made to be concise as possible.You will quickly forget about specific grammar rules if you don't apply your knowledge. You need to start reading/listening/speaking.
>>
>>72591071
Whole archive
>>
>>72591442
Persona 3 Portable, I even tried searching for random sentences and all I can find is:
1. a chinese site with some lines
2. lots of pixiv fanfiction/script hybrids (I don't even know)
3. an actual script with commentary that only goes until June in game

>>72591429
Yeah I had to do that for Hook Any Text.
>>
File: descarga.jpg (957KB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
957KB, 2322x4128px
Aaaand... that's it. I'm done with Heisig. I studied it over a period of exactly 4 months, starting Nov 21st and ending March 21st, and I'm so glad I'm done with it.
I thought you guys might want to look at my handwriting. I will post a picture of my second-to-ast page followed by a picture of my second page so you guys can rate my handwriting.
>>
>>72592506
I hope you regret the time you wasted so you don't tell other people to use heisig after you.
>>
File: descarga.jpg (692KB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
692KB, 2322x4128px
And here's my second page.
I'm technically not done with kanji yet, so far my study method has been to study 25 kanji each day and review them the next day. Not sure if it's the most efficient but fuck, it's worked so far.
>>72592557
Rude.
>>
>>72592506
>>72592586
Awesome stuff. It would be a good idea to maintain reviews and slowly start to add in Japanese keywords
It's safe to anons who sperg out over RTK.
>>
>>72591348
It's not a story book, you're not supposed to read chapter after chapter on a single sitting.

Unless you already knew what he's teaching, in that case, it's just considered review.

You'll have to refer back to these lessons lots of time, but it's nice to have an overall look at all the points first.
>>
>>72580192
Regarding Rikaisama audio not working:
>Confirmed, new URLs are in this format:

https://assets.languagepod101.com/dictio...p?id=46568

>This will obviously no longer work. RIP audio support.

Another post mentioned that someone had downloaded the audio archive (it was ~1.6gb large), does anyone have it?
>>
>>72561372
Weekdays are very easy tho, way easier than in english.
>>
>>72592506
4 Months, jesus christ. I hope you managed to learn at least some japanese as well at the same time. Can you still remember how to write the kana at a reasonable speed?
>>
>>72592506
Congrats, now you can use them as pseudo mnemonics while learning actual vocab. Make sure you do more vocab than usual for ~4 months to make up for lost time.
>>
>>72593258
It's in the CoR, named "JDIC_audio". I was just debating whether to dump the whole lot in my media folder, but there's such an insane number of files I feel like there's a high chance it might break something, especially when it comes to syncing and ankidroid.
>>
>>72593405
Sure, I obviously kept practicing and studying grammar while I was doing kanji.
>>72593408
That was actually my goal. I was finding it pretty much impossible to memorize words, so I decided to go with learning kanji to more easily memorize them.
>>
>>72593602
Thanks. I don't recommend dumping the entire thing in, the sync would be horrendous. I wonder if there's a way to selectively add them easily?
>>
>>72585400
>>72586719
shi is more girly and kawaii
TSUUUU is like Cristiano Ronaldo
>>
>translating some random shit to improve vocabulary and sentences while I do so
>someone releases it before me
>Oh, let's see if we match at all
>
>>
File: 983.jpg (33KB, 652x315px) Image search: [Google]
983.jpg
33KB, 652x315px
>tfw had 71.9% mature card retention today
これは新しい最低記録です。
本当にもっと読まなきゃ。
>>
>>72593740
You should post a picture of the original next to the translation.
>>
>>72593881
please i don't want to kill myself from bullying today
>>
>>72569844
Actually, perhaps the issue is Firefox 52.0 (and its forks). I installed Rikaichan and it works correctly; it was lasted updated in February 2017. The last update of Rikaisama was in 2016; I tried to re-install it, but it still won't work correctly... Anyone on Firefox ≥ 52.0 and Rikaisama experience this same issue?
>>
File: sync with ankiweb.jpg (18KB, 631x380px) Image search: [Google]
sync with ankiweb.jpg
18KB, 631x380px
>>72593723
Too late, I already dumped about half of them. Now let's see what happens.
>>
Anyone knows of anything like rikai for chrome/firefox on android?
And while im asking about android, anyone knows how to bypass sad panda in android?(I've tried firefox but i couldnt install the addon and i didnt find anything for chrome)
>>
>>72592506
I thought all us argentinians were lazy as fuck, you sir proved me wrong.
>>
>>72593723
Yes, you wonder.
>>
>>72593985
Nevermind. The source of my problem was another add-on. Thank you to anyone if you were investigating the problem.
>>
I was reading a manga and the bad guy said: 人質として女性徒を一人拉致っちゃいました

Does it say "The hostage will be the female student I kidnapped [myself] "
Or "The hostage will be the [lone] female student I kidnapped "
(or are both of those wrong?)
>>
>>72594105
I think there is a mobile version of rikaisama for Firefox only.
>And while im asking about android, anyone knows how to bypass sad panda in android?
You mean the hentai website? Or does Sad Panda has some other meaning I'm not aware of?
>>72594131
thanks senpai.
>>
So the average middle schooler knows like 20,000 words. How is it actually feasible to read after being only 2k into 6k?
>>
>>72594483
I think it's something like "I kidnapped a single female student as a hostage."
>>
>>72594623
There are these miraculous inventions called dictionaries, they let you look up information on words you don't know yet.

In all seriousness though, it's really difficult to start reading even after 2k words. But if you never even touch the snow, how will you start the snowball rolling?
>>
>>72594623
>ctrl f the
>375 results
>ctrl f comfortable
>1 result
something something usage statistics
>>
>>72594483
>人質として女性徒を一人拉致っちゃいました

>人質として
"As a hostage"
>女性徒を一人拉致っちゃいました
"abducted a female student"

"I took a female student as a hostage"
>>
>>72594623
you seem misinformed lad
>>
>>72594623
Read somewhere adults know around 40k words, but isn't that a bit too much?

If I'm not mistaken, native English speakers have around 20~25k words, while Portuguese speakers orbit around 20k.

40k words with such a high amount of homonyms is hell to even imagine.
>>
>>72592586
If you are looking to transition into being able to write kanji from memory based on words/readings, the below spreadsheet has a list of words/compounds for the kanji in Remember the Kanji.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oNardpT6EWwxdm-xGtQ0jIw_8_2ySDaVWe83QiYeU5M/pubhtml
It wouldn't be hard to use your RTK writing ability and whatever vocab you've been studying, to convert or create a writing deck based on RTK keywords in a hint field with vocab on the front which you have already matured, so they are already known well enough, and have the kanji replaced with kana in the reading.
For example, the word 有名 is mature in your vocab deck and in the production kanji deck you could have
>Front:
_名
ゆうめい
>Back:
「有」名
ゆうめい

>>72593723
Rikaisama guy made this:
JDIC Audio Extraction Tool
http://rtkwiki.koohii.com/wiki/Community_Tools#cb4960
http://forum.koohii.com/post-122413.html#pid122413:
「Download the JDIC Audio Extraction Tool via MediaFile (source code is included)
http://www.mediafire.com/?4put7vdf2luo9j9

To use:
1) From Anki, export your words deck as facts only to a .txt file.
2) Open JDIC Audio Extractor, fill in all of the fields, click OK.
You can edit in.txt if you don't want to manually fill in the fields each time.

I also didn't like how mplayer (the media player included with Anki) often times doesn’t play small files to completion. So I wrote a media player that DOES play small files to completion (well, actually I just modified the "contest" example program that comes with the Bass audio library).

Download bassplayer 2.1 via MediaFile (requires Windows; source code is included)
http://www.mediafire.com/?26yn7mdy55buhpj

Place bassplayer.exe and bass.dll in the Anki install folder (you should see mplayer.exe there). Then just download and edit Anki's Custom Media Player 2 plugin to use bassplayer instead of mplayer. 」

>>72594093
>97058 media changes to upload
Wew lad
>>
>>72594740
Not saying anything about the difficulty of reading or hesitancy to start reading. I'm just saying that it's easy to be dekinai when faced with the reality that native speakers know a shitload of words, and going through the core6k would take two months if you're going through it semi-quickly.
>>
Would 10 kanji a day be a good method to learn all the 2,000 ish ones?
>>
>>72595106
SEMI-quickly is 100/cards a day? What speedrunning world do you hail from, where you can manage that amount of reviews consistently? (after 2 weeks it would be in the range of 1000 reviews, daily, if you barely got any wrong AND have to learn 100 more.

Or did you mean 2k, which is much more reasonable?

Also, it's not necessary to know every single word when reading. You can infer a lot just from context, or just plain not understand a bunch. That's okay too, as long as you pick up something along the way you're making progress. Things can always be re-read later when you're more advanced.
>>
>>72595200
Do the math, if the finishing date is fine with you, go ahead.

My goal was 6000 in less than a year, so I had to do 20.
But learning 2k words (and about 1000 kanji) is a good measure for a first semester, most people well over a year to do that in language courses.
>>
>>72595200
That's basically what I did at first, but then I pushed myself to 25. Go at your own pace, but try as best as you can to cram as many kanji as you can into a day.
>>
>>72594678
>>72594830
I see, thank you.

>>72594105
>bypass sadpanda
The sadpanda thread on /h/ should have all that stuff.
>>
>>72595200
see above people are saying that you need to learn 40k ;)
>>
>>72595356
But those were words and he's talking about kanji
>>
>>72594105
>Anyone knows of anything like rikai for chrome/firefox on android?
There is this: Floating Japanese Dictionary Window for Android
https://github.com/ispedals/FloatingJapaneseDictionary

>anyone knows how to bypass sad panda in android?
Not sure but have you tried nhentai instead of exhentai?
>>
>>72595318
I do 50 new a day minimum but I have a decent amount of free time at work. I only said 100 as an example because I assumed some anki drone autist would say 50 is easy mode and they do 200 new a day.

At my current level however, I do find it a lot easier to read manga than light novels. With visual included it is easier to infer meanings of phrases that I don't easily understand
>>
>>72594987
What does "facts only" correspond to? There doesn't seem to be any such export format
>>
>>72595474
I'm the other monkey, but oops.

10 kanji a day is too little, unless there is some vocabulary study on the side.

Should take at best one semester to learn all joyo kanji if you're focusing solely on individual kanji study.
>>
>>72595632
Manga also typically have less narration and far more spoken dialogue, which goes a long way to making something more easily understood.

The more close you approach "serious books", typically the more difficult it becomes.

manga -> LN -> VN -> genre novel -> literary novel
Of course there are exceptions everywhere, depending on specific genre / how ambitious any given author is.
>>
拉致る is a slang
>>
塾の英語教師 (`・ω・´)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYWHHKrqzf0
>>
>>72594483
I feel like that's implying the speaker reports to his boss that now he realized the hostage was the female student he kidnapped in other words, they took her by mistake.
>>
>>72596265
これはヒドイな
>>
does anyone have a download for dogen's phonetics lessons?
>>
>>72596265
なぜ各日本の生番組に隅にいる奴がいる?変だよね。
>>
>>72596603
だめですよ
>>
>>72596603
Use YouTube Download or some other shit like that.
>>
>>72596265
「日本はなぜ英語しか何も出来ない外人を英語教師として受け入れてるんだ」と俺はずっと思った
この動画を見て、その理由がすっかり分かった
>>
there's genuinely no reason for Japs to learn English. any decent English teacher hence doesn't show up.
>>
>>72597086
There is no reason for anyone to learn Japanese either...
>>
>>72596814
知っている。 ごめんなさい, ドゲン先生
>>
>>72596814
Does Dogen live in the US?
>>
File: 1391330551226.png (114KB, 795x761px) Image search: [Google]
1391330551226.png
114KB, 795x761px
>>72596603
Are you referring to his Patreon backer only phonetics lessons? My understanding of Patreon is not great but his page has a $10 per month pledge which those particular videos are locked behind, so I'm thinking that you could pledge the $10 to access all of those videos, rip all of those videos then revoke your monthly pledge.
This is apparently how you can revoke your pledge:
https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606205-How-do-I-delete-my-pledge-
Since the content is a monthly pledge system and not a pay per post type arrangement, it should be possible to pay, access the content and save it, then remove your payment so you aren't actually charged.
かな
>>
File: 2017-03-21 22.17.39.png (473KB, 848x716px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-21 22.17.39.png
473KB, 848x716px
>>72597337
>Actually doing this
You really hate content creators, don't you?
>>
>>72597337
Just pay for a month and then quit.
He literally tells you to do this if you're cheap or poor.
>>
File: 1476298843867.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1476298843867.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>>72597501
>Actually doing this
Lets' not jump to assumption here, anon. It was one of several solutions to anon's problem.

Needed a smug image in response.
>>
Which set of basic kanji should I learn first?
Like, the very first I should learn.
>>
>>72597765
>>
>>72597337
lmao that's actually what i did, and i have all the youtube links. not sure if i can post them here.
>>
>>72597337
>>72596603

http://pastebin.com/mER12tzm
>>
>>72597765

>>72597812
Well there you go, it's possible. Didn't really expect Patreon to actually allow money to be taken out of their system so easily.
Are there no safeguards to prevent this sort of thing?
>>
File: NzoHY9E.jpg (51KB, 425x616px) Image search: [Google]
NzoHY9E.jpg
51KB, 425x616px
>>72597717
Thanks, another smugger for my smug collection, have a rare hentai pseudo-smug in return.
>>
File: EEF9jcl.gif (2MB, 425x481px) Image search: [Google]
EEF9jcl.gif
2MB, 425x481px
>>72597855
>he actually did it the absolute madman
>>
File: 1410711127398.jpg (6KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1410711127398.jpg
6KB, 224x225px
>>72597855
>like a boneless ham
>>
>>72597917
misclick
>>72597973
>>
File: .png (9KB, 358x359px) Image search: [Google]
.png
9KB, 358x359px
>>72597855
>>
>>72596265
This makes me realize how much of a hurdle pronunciation really is for the Japanese. Being put on the spot is tough, too.
>>
>>72596265
although their knowledge of english grammar is better than me, I might be able to speak english better.
it's odd.
>>
>the first ten seconds of http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bW2uFlrTSk
My fucking sides, I'm pretty sure this is you Brazil anon, good one.
>>
>>72599721
From the /jp/ thread? Yeah I heard it and immateriality recognized it was him.
>>
>>72599747
Yeah, what an autism fest that thread became at the end.
>>
File: capture.png (22KB, 351x526px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
22KB, 351x526px
>>72598600
Reminded me of this video for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bY6qZLCQsU

Unrelated, but what the fuck, Google? Anyone get hit with these sort of Captchas? You know how sometimes they tell you to select all the images of street signs yet show you a picture of a cat or something unrelated? Had one of those situations and hit the verify or whatever button to show the next one and pic related popped up.
>>
>>72599721
They seem to have some autistic 70+ argument about nothing every thread there, it's entertaining to watch at the least but sometimes it's just too much.
>>
>>72599820
70+ post
>>
>>72599721
I've never understood. Does that jingle represent recess/lunch, top of the hour, or end of school?
>>
>>72599859
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_Quarter
Just the quarter hours which typically coincide with all of those things.
>>
File: japan_irl.png (674KB, 853x477px) Image search: [Google]
japan_irl.png
674KB, 853x477px
>>72596265
very interesting point
>>
>>72599859
>>72599894
Actually, thinking about it once more I doubt a school would play that over the loudspeakers every quarter hour, so they probably just use it to signal the beginning/end of all of those things. Don't take my word on this though.
>>
File: 1489026512562.png (29KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489026512562.png
29KB, 657x527px
im learning chinese because no japanese around me and chinese are all over the world. but i like japanese culture more so im always doubting it and thinking i should switch to japanese. but japanese is literally useless outside japan
>>
>>72600009
And Mandarin is literally useless outside of China. Your point?
>>
>>72600021
it's not, i have tons of chinese friends and have had many interesting conversations with people outside of china. i get to actually use it in real life and im in the middle of fucking nowhere USA. meanwhile i have met maybe 2 japanese in my whole life
>>
>>72600009
Chinese are dogs
>>
>>72599931
And that counted as perfect English according to the nignog
>>
>>72599931
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEkQtKmE_8
>>
>>72600051
>interesting conversations
>Chinese people
>>
>>72600051
thanks to Chinese you learned, you get Chinese friends. good for you. then, now what? what are you worried about? Japanese culture? what's this shit? does it change your pace in life?
>>
>>72600331
I don't know what kind of conversation I'd have with a Chinese immigrant here in Mexico
>so why'd you come live here?
>because China is a shithole
And ran out of topics.
>>
>>72600009
read this and switch to japanese
https://imgur.com/a/aSFTC#xfkxpH9
>>
File: 1432416739439.png (260KB, 803x790px) Image search: [Google]
1432416739439.png
260KB, 803x790px
>>72555621
Is there a Discord?
Will there be a Discord?
>>
>>72600768
No and no one else wants one
>>
>>72600768
Probably never.
>>
JAPAN WILL BE DEFEATED
>>
>>72600889
そうなりそうな気がするね
>>
>>72600889
*unsheathes katana*

You'll have to go through my first.
>>
File: Trump anime.png (1MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Trump anime.png
1MB, 1000x750px
>>72600930
>>72600928
NIPON HAS BEEN SLAIN
>>
File: 1475378840314.jpg (235KB, 1280x1923px) Image search: [Google]
1475378840314.jpg
235KB, 1280x1923px
>at college
>can't read manga
>grind kanji in anki instead
>get home
>study college stuff
>grind kanji
>"ok let's read manga so I can put my knowledge to the test"
>fall asleep
>>
File: heh.jpg (617KB, 786x1071px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
617KB, 786x1071px
>>72600930
not so fast...
*teleports behind you*
*slashes you in half*
heh....easy....
don't take it personnelly...it's just business..
*teleports back to the oval office*
>>
>>72601660
not our problem you cant manage your time
>>
It was good game.
>>
>>72600768
we tried one but literally nobody said anything

if people are actually motivated to talk, it would be a good idea
>>
I noticed the buyfags have managed to weasel their way back onto /a/.

How are we not back there, in our natural habitat?
>>
If you really want to learn Japanese, do it. Don't learn a language just because you think it'll be useful, learn it because you enjoy it and its culture
>>
>>72602216
Have we tried to weasel our way back in?
>>
>>72602204
>we
it was one guy spamming threads about it for a day
>>
>>72601962
虐めない
>>
>>72602219
meant for
>>72600009
>>
>>72602261
there was a handful of people that joined, perhaps they all just happened to have the same flag?
>>
>>72602260
I don't think so but I'm all for trying it.
>>
>>72602204
>if people are actually motivated to talk, it would be a good idea

We already discussed this way back when we were on /a/. The general consensus was that anything we needed to talk about we just did here, in the thread. Further, it would create yet another group for people to talk in called /djt/ when we already have 2 and not enough non-shitposting discussion to warrant that.
>>
File: 1489698459385.jpg (91KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489698459385.jpg
91KB, 1000x800px
>>72602328
It's been argued before on /qa/, I believe.
I don't think getting back on /a/ is possible, they already solidified the rule that these threads should be posted on /int/ or /jp/. /djt/ is no longer allowed on /a/ because it's off topic, which makes no sense since the buyfag and panda threads are still being posted on there.

We can try to get back on there, but I just don't think it's a possibility anymore.
>>
>>72602260
Yes
http://desuarchive.org/a/thread/154785005
It didn't work
>>
>>72602441
Hey, I'll try it I'm just worried about /a/ mods reacting too heavily and banning me. I don't think they would ban me for more than a week though.
>>
>>72602514
Oh damn only lasted 2.5 hours.
>>
>>72602514
I guess we we're going about it the wrong way. Maybe instead we should dox, abduct and torture the mod that hates us
>>
What's the appeal of having these threads on /a/?
>>
File: Tohru_Adachi.jpg (33KB, 250x290px) Image search: [Google]
Tohru_Adachi.jpg
33KB, 250x290px
>>72602514
I just don't understand why they delete Japanese threads and not all the other threads shitting up /a/.
>>
>>72602581
More traffic, more active threads

You could say /jp/ is a bit more active but it IS /jp/, also they argue a lot on there. /a/ is the best option
>>
>>72602633
>More traffic, more active threads
What's the appeal of that?
>>
File: platinummad.png (134KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
platinummad.png
134KB, 500x402px
>>72602633
The /jp/ thread is seriously cancer.

I mean, what's the deal with /jp/ and fucking Touhou anyways?
>>
Do you ever flip the 6k deck to show English instead?

Is there a way to randomize it, so sometimes you get English is show instead of the kanji?

I tried flipping it and it was much more challenging but I want to learn to recognize kanji still.

>>72602583
consipracy
>>
>>72602693
>touhou
I'm ok with this, I just can't stand the constant best VN for beginners argument.
>>
File: yomiel-shrug.gif (6KB, 128x192px) Image search: [Google]
yomiel-shrug.gif
6KB, 128x192px
>>72602664
More potential learners of the language and more help? I guess it's based on personal preference.
I don't know, I just liked the threads more when they were more lively.

Also, more resources is always a good thing.
>>
>>72602697
How do you flip it?
>>
>>72602720
>Also, more resources is always a good thing.
What makes you think more anons equates to more resources? That wasn't a good question, I'll phrase: what sort of resources?
>>
>>72602720
It doesn't matter how many resources you get, the ones we have are already enough to get you through the first 2 weeks of learning, after which you'll promptly quit or start doing RTK or some other dumb shit (until you quit in 3 months).

Then you'll just sit here and shitpost using your limited knowledge of Japanese and Rikkai to respond in English to Japanese posts.

I don't think we need more people.
>>
>>72602664
That's how this threads even started, and that's also why we managed to get so many resources for learning in the first place.

This place thrives on people that are genuinely interested in learning the language, so they can help each other out.

Less traffic = Less active threads = Less support = People getting frustrated and giving up because they struggle to make any progress.
>>
>>72602721
Press browse then choose the deck on the side, click on 'cards' beside 'field'. A window opens and you can flip.

You gotta edit it a bit though.

I also sometimes take cards I know the kanji of well and edit them to be flipped.
>>
>>72602807
This, my first year of learning Japanese felt wasted because I would get held up on simple questions or struggle with one little thing when I could've just posted here.

Been coming to this site for years and years and you still find off shoot daily threads for you interests hidden away.

I was going to r/learnjapanese because I couldn't find any other community
酷いでした
>>
>>72602441
/a/ is a fucking autistic shithole. /v/-tier. Why do you want to go back?
>>
>>72602807
Less active threads are better if you actually want to learn Japanese but are addicted to reading threads
>>
>>72602888
>if you actually want to learn Japanese
Sure, if you don't mind waiting 30 minutes for a single answer to a Japanese-related question.
>>
>>72602633
it's not like this thread has been filled with interesting japanese language discussion anyway
>>
>>72602915
>post question
>go to sleep
>no answer
>go to work
>no answer
>come home
>no answer
>make dinner
>got a reply but the thread 404d
>>
>>72602807
>That's how this threads even started
Do you still use training wheels? Just because the threads started out of bustling activity does mean it needs the same sort of activity, does it? To me it is akin to starting a car from a stationary position and now we've reached cruising speed on an open highway, in that there is no need to drop down to a lower gear with more revs.
>and that's also why we managed to get so many resources for learning in the first place.
Which resources?

>Less traffic = Less active threads = Less support = People getting frustrated and giving up because they struggle to make any progress.
Maybe, not I'm not really sold on that concept. It's just as easy to questions to go repeatedly ignored in a faster pace thread full of loud anons who routinely engage in 70+ post arguments about what they perceive as incorrect English translations.
>>
File: alstar_ger_eng.jpg (104KB, 2340x1000px) Image search: [Google]
alstar_ger_eng.jpg
104KB, 2340x1000px
これは私のペンです。
>>
>>72602973
Does it do sick jumps?
Looks fancy.
>>
>>72602973
羨ましい
>>
>>72602973
Is it made of steel folded one million times?
>>
File: 1479863047981.gif (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479863047981.gif
48KB, 600x600px
>>72602950
>get a reply but thread 404s
>reply in question is another question wondering what you're trying to ask without the answer
>can't reply because thread's already dead
あ、ありがとう
>>
>>72602997
>>72603011
>>72603020
はい。どうぞよろしく
>>
File: e30[1].jpg (33KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
e30[1].jpg
33KB, 600x434px
>>72603021
>they just wanted to help
>>
>>72602973
安いペンしか買えない。
>>
I'm about 400 kanji through an RTK 2k pure recognition deck (no production) and reading Tae Kim's grammar which won't take long. What should I start doing alongside my RTK once I've read the basic grammar guide? Alternatively, if you hate Heisig or hate recognition-only, what do you personally think I should be spending my time on instead of RTK?
>>
File: 20170321_225849.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_225849.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>72603118
ほとんど空いている
( ゚д゚)
>>
>>72549189
Just had the chance to check for replies in the last thread, I'm the one you replied to. I had actually just started my reps when I took that screenshot, I never go above 20 new cards per day myself.
>>
>>72603235
Does that include writing out your reps?
I'm usually at about 120-150 words with about 2 hours total to write out all the ones I feel I need to.
>>
File: 1432865793751.jpg (33KB, 350x409px) Image search: [Google]
1432865793751.jpg
33KB, 350x409px
>>72603207
>I'm about 400 kanji through an RTK 2k pure recognition deck (no production)
>(no production)

>reading Tae Kim's grammar which won't take long
>which won't take long

>what do you personally think I should be spending my time on instead of RTK?

Literally anything else. And you're delusional if you think you won't be spending much time with Kim
>>
File: IMG_20170322_000508.jpg (1MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170322_000508.jpg
1MB, 2160x3840px
>>72603268
Yeah, I always write out what I feel I need to. Pic is everything I wrote during Anki today.

I cant explain it, but after my Anki time had been steadily increasing for some time, and was at about 90 minutes per day, it suddenly dropped. Now it takes me about an hour every day. The whole time I've always had about 150 reviews.
>>
File: 20170321_231044.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_231044.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>72603360
Furgiana is a drug.

I only write vertically so my friends think Im better than I am.

I can relate to the longer Anki times, averaging 2 hours, Usually hit it in 15 min bursts with 5 min chatting/choosing music
>>
File: wott.png (1KB, 29x29px) Image search: [Google]
wott.png
1KB, 29x29px
call me a retarded stupid man, but what's this?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (468KB, 2340x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
468KB, 2340x1000px
>>72603034
これは私のです。
>>
>>72603498
りtarded stupid man
>>
>>72602973
どちらですか。万年筆?ボールペン?ローラーボール?三本あるからクリアじゃない。

>>72603437
I'm not sure I understand. Why do you write out the furigana? I understand how useful they are when reading something, but are you going to be coming back and reading your own writing practice?

>>72603498
It's "ri" り but with the first and second stroke connected together.
>>
File: 1279850731648.gif (607KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1279850731648.gif
607KB, 300x222px
>>72603523
o-oh.

Never saw it like that.
>>
>>72602957
The process of learning a language is much more complex than the analogy you are presenting. In this case, the open highway would only be equivalent to achieving fluency in the language, which needless to say isn't the case for most people here, even for those who have been studying for a couple years. Before you get to that point, it's completely normal to have questions, which can be answered by more experienced people.

>Which resources?
By resources I mean the guide which, as simple as it may be, it is really helpful for people who are just getting started, and better than most "helpful" posts you will find on other sites. Also, of course, the CoR, which makes the process of finding material to read and practice much easier.

>Maybe, not I'm not really sold on that concept.
That's just from what I've gathered from browsing this threads for a while now. Even if some questions may get lost between the shitposting, if there are more people browsing the thread it's just more likely that at least one of them will read your question and care enough to give a serious answer.
>>
File: 2.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
>>72603532
うそだった。これが私のペンです。
>>
>>72603619
>The process of learning a language is much more complex than the analogy you are presenting
That analogy was about these threads, not language learning. Must not have made it very clear, sorry about that.

>By resources I mean [...]
Still not really sure how that related to more people and activity. The guide, CoR, and other things are, or were, the product of a couple of people, really.
>>
What's the difference between Tae Kim's complete guide and grammar guide?
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.