[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So in European universities are the courses taught in English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: 1446667430296.jpg (43KB, 707x800px) Image search: [Google]
1446667430296.jpg
43KB, 707x800px
So in European universities are the courses taught in English or the country's natice language?
>>
>>55106291
Why would they be taught in English?
>>
>>55106291
they are taught in English in Germany and Nordic countries.
>>
how can this girl looks like a man and 10/10 at the same time?
>>
>>55106466
>in English in Germany
That's not necessarily true. Some courses are taught in English but most of them are not. It also depends on the level of a course, eg. undergraduate-level or graduate-level, and its domain.
>>
>>55106581
ie*
>>
>>55106466
>>55106581

This. They even have regulations on courses that are taught in english here, so that the majority of lectures are still in german.
>>
>>55106291
Finnish lectures but much of the reading material is in English
>>
>>55106291
Some are taught in English but most of them not
>>
>>55106466
Master's level education and above is typically in English here, but the rest is usually in Swedish.
>>
>>55106291
in Latin you uneducated burger
>>
both
>>
>>55106466
Only grad courses
>>
>>55106839
Partly. But it would probably be the best way
>>
>>55106291
It really depends on where and what courses.

In Iceland they have a huge number of English courses at graduate and undergraduate level. Probably because they know that learning their language is quite difficult, and it would make their universities have almost no foreign students, who happen to pay the most tuition.
>>
>>55106665
Yeah as a philosophy major in Canada I would love to go for a masters in Germany, but as far as I am aware philosophy is mostly kept in the German language. Unless I find a prof willing to let me take the degree in english.
>>
Spanish, only in spanish
>>
Why the fuck would the lessons be in your language? Are Americans really unable to grasp the concept that people in other countries really speak other languages?
>>
Here undergraduate courses are in Dutch, graduate courses are in English.

But you will probably get quite a few classes in English during your undergraduate years, and every single textbook we use is in English.
>>
>>55108914
English is not American, but is becoming a universal language. This Russian family I worked for only learned english because they went for phd's in bio-chem and for what they said is that most of the sciences are either carried out in English or would require a moderate amount of the language.
>>
I am an English-speaker studying in Czech Republic. You can do both if you want. Usually English language is reserved for master's and PhD courses but less so for B.A. level but that depends on the university. There's some private unis that teach only in English with academic staff composed of predominantly native speakers.
>>
>>55108930
The Dutch are really funny.

>use native language for basic education
>use English for higher education
>native language becomes unable to express complicated concepts and is relegated to home and private life, while everything important is done in English
>after a few generations, the native language becomes as widely spoken as Irish while the country is cucking itself by replacing it cultures with America's culture

You can't make that shit up.
>>
>>55109071
>native language becomes unable to express complicated concepts
ugh, you mean, native languages don't turn into hungarian? thank god for that
>>
File: isämmaa.jpg (306KB, 717x634px) Image search: [Google]
isämmaa.jpg
306KB, 717x634px
Having lectures here in English would mean breaking the law

http://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset/2009/en20090558.pdf

see section 11
Lots of the reading material is in English though.
>>
>>55106466
But German was lingua franca in science in XIX century. How did they become that cucked?
>>
>>55108930
>>55109071
>>55109157

Even English uses Latin (the de facto language of higher education for the longest time) to express complicated terms. QED, for instance.

What's the problem exactly?
>>
>>55109019
They were probably studying abroad. In Russia only English language classes are in English.
>>
>>55109504
What's the problem when a surgeon can't even talk about his work in his language because the words just don't exist because everything is just taught in English?
A language becoming irrelevant in professional context and higher situations is the first step to language death.
>>
>>55106395
Some masters programs or internationally oriented programs are taught in English.

It's a great way to attract foreign students with international tuition fee bux
>>
>>55109504
English people just have to pronounce Latin a bit more properly
>>
File: adsız.jpg (74KB, 782x694px) Image search: [Google]
adsız.jpg
74KB, 782x694px
in turkey it depends on universities.
some full english
some full turkish
some half turkish half engish

this is my courses >pic related
>>
The thinking behind using English for postgrad is to attract good students from around the world who are making decisions on cost. If they can take a masters program they can be valuable to the economy, whether they're American or Nigerian or whatever.

Some percentage of them will get local jobs, stay in the country and learn Dutch/Swedish/whatever eventually.
>>
>>55110016
Julius Seessar :DD
Marcus Tullius Sissero :DD
>>
File: Feels-Good-Man-Frog-06.png (110KB, 330x270px) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Good-Man-Frog-06.png
110KB, 330x270px
Born too early to explore the etc etc

Born just in time for English to become the only relevant language.
>>
>>55106291
Most master courses are in english.
Rest is German.

>>55106466
Kill yourself ugly chink
>>
>>55109672

Medical terms are primarily in Latin and Greek, and even English-speakers will talk about the amygdala and cerebellum as the required terms.

"I cut the head open and operated on his sternum."

Languages borrow terms from other languages all the time because it is easier than inventing the vocabulary from scratch (unless you are French apparently). Lest we forget the Romans spoke Greek AND Latin due to their education.

>>55110016
Weni, Widi, Wiki.
>>
>>55110142
It's funny how Swedes root for their master. The Anglos don't even have to bother forcing the world to speak their language, the Scandis do it for them. Pathetic lapdogs.

>>55110278
>(unless you are French apparently)
Fucking moron. Tons of languages make up vocabulary with native roots, and French really isn't a good example for this.
>>
all courses are taugh in english at my department. I teach in turkish though, since most students can't speak or understand english properly.

exchange students tend to get pretty frustrated. regular international students pick up perfect turkish in about a year.
>>
>>55110405
>get english course
>teacher starts talking english
>half of class dont understand
>teacher speaks turkish
ee bilmiyorlar mıydı buraya gelirken? şuna çok uyuz oluyorum sonra milllet dalga geçiyor "sınıf ing bilmiyor"
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55110365
No shit some languages invent local terms for stuff (Hebrew is notorious for this as well), but it doesn't change the fact that English, French, German, and other languages still use ancient Greek and Latin for concepts related to higher education and aren't dead in consequence.

I was making a reference to how the French exterminated dialects within France and is completely unapologetic about it. And also L'office de la langue francaise. But whatever. Have fun inventing terms for cerebellum in Slovak.
>>
File: 1454874925418.jpg (41KB, 691x466px) Image search: [Google]
1454874925418.jpg
41KB, 691x466px
>>55106291
In Finland it is all in benis if i am not wrong
>>
>>55110571
Mozoček. No need to invent anything.
>>
>>55110405
Niye amk ingilizce bilmiyorsa çıksın amkoduklarım.Adam erasmusla ingilizce diye geliyor sen Türkçe anlatıyorsan, adamın geri gittiğinde türkleri sevmemesi normal.İngilizce bilmeyen adam da ingilizce bölüm seçmesin.
>>
>>55108855
Well we do have a fuckton of german philosophy, so it would be a bit retarded to come here to study in english.

Similar to not learning ancient greek for Plato etc.
>>
>>55110539
had a classmate who insisted on asking his questions in english, even though all students and the instructor spoke in turkish *cringes*
>>
The only reason some courses are tought in english in CR is that unis collect fat tuition for this. Czech classes are free for all with czech or slovak matura or for people who passed some language exams. Kinda bad thing about this is that czechs makes only 60-70% on this courses, the rest are slovaks or ex-USSR citizens.

>>55109034
>Usually English language is reserved for master's and PhD courses but less so for B.A. level but that depends on the university.
not exactly true, there's usually one or two master and PhD courses in english, but most of them are in czech

We're not so protective about our language as slovaks or french, but we are quite sensitive about in what language are courses on (public) unis. More or less all unis in todays CR were german up until half of the 19th century.
>>
>>55111292
it's a must course and we already fail like half of the class. I graduated from odtü but work in a pretty average university. students are simply low quality due to the unreasonable number of admissions.
>>
>>55106466
most of the courses are taught in German, some in English, maybe 10-15%.
>>
>>55111590
>it's a must course
Neden %100 veya %30 ingilizce bölüm seçiyor o zaman bu amına koduklarım.İngilizce anlat, hakeden geçsin haketmeyen geçmesin, hem o ingilizce bilmeyen amına koduklarım da ingilizce öğrenir belki.

Ayrıca erasmus yapan öğrencilerle empati yapıyorum da etmediğim küfür kalmazdı sana.
>>
>>55106291
I studied philosophy and PoliSci (iep) several years ago. Never had a course in English.
Maybe it changed since then?

At the government level, some want to push much more classes in english, some scream that it's heresy.

A couple years ago, it was making the headlines.

ofc, it will depend on your major, field etc.
Obviously, people studying international business will want courses in english. Or people doing an MBA.

I've had an American Prof. once, she taught in French.
>My cunt, my rules.
>>
>>55111657
european web index when?
>>
>>55111789
I will not base my teaching practices according to what non-taxpayer foreigners want. Duty to my Turkish students come first, even if they are less eligible, i.e. I'm not a race traitor cuck.
>>
>>55111789
THIS
hala üni okuyup ilkokuldan beri öğretilen ingilizceyi öğren/e/meyen "öğrenci" dolu. bu tipler "yhhhaaa öss de ingilzice yok ki :D:D niye öğreniim :D " diyip zamanımda götümü yakmaya çalışıyorlardı bide. şimdi bu mallar sınavda bile hocanın çevirisini yapmasını bekliyor !!!!
>>
File: 1455526264565.png (64KB, 298x175px) Image search: [Google]
1455526264565.png
64KB, 298x175px
>>55106291
>be me
>study physics
>lecture about quantum field theory
>prof speaks english during the lecture, although he's german and all the students are also german
>his english is complete shit
>hardly understand him, because of his shit pronounciation
>mfw
>>
>>55112275
they will never push for learning enlish if you "make it easier" for them
>>
>>55112392
your languages is close tho??
>>
>>55106581
>>55106757
>>55107867
>>55110184
English confirmed as being the chosen language of intellectuals. How does it feel knowing even your elite don't want to speak your own language?
>>
>>55112392
crazy...
>>
>>55112665
That's only in Northern Europe. They're a bunch of lapdogs and they're literally killing their cultures.
>>
>>55106521
>this girl looks like a man
what the fuck
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.