[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post a word in your language that has no direct English translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (109KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 1024x768px
Post a word in your language that has no direct English translation and then explain what it means.
>>
Freedom
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoplastia
>>
"HUE"

It means to feel destroyed inside, to see your people self-destruct, your life with no future in a country taken by communist cancer, trying to disguise itself as democracy. As a resort to not be taken by madness, you give this exaggerated laugh, loud enough to silence your conscience and temporaly forget, tricking yourself into feeling happines, just for that moment.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
>>
"Chanter en yaourt"

literally yoghurt singing.

It's singing in a language you don't speak (typically english), imitating the sounds the singer make or replacing them with french words.
It's like how you'd sing it with yoghurt in your mouth.
>>
nebeprisikiškiakopūsteliaudavome
>>
"Gezellig"

It means that feeling when a black guy is fucking your wife. Pure bliss.
>>
>>54978041
you know... it's a very hard request... since school i learned that every word has a translation in one or other way. I guess you want to know literature words that has no translation... not a "street word" or a "made up word" that still has sense in my language but doesn't have any sense in yours.
>>
>>54978301
neat desu senpai
>>
Pilkunviilaus.
When someone is fucking annoying and being too certain about different things. Usually complaining too.
>>
Pokpok Pakantot
Greeting to new friends that is gender specific for females.
>>
"SNEG"
shortened word for "Sore Nante Ero Ge"?
"Sore" means "that"
"Nante" means "what"
"Ero" means "hentai"
"Ge" is also a shortened word for "Game".

So SNEG means "What is that hentai game" or "What hentai game are you playing/talking about?"

You can use this word when you wanna ask a name of hentai game to someone, but you can also use this word when someone brags about his life like "I had sex 3 times with my gf last night" thing. Then, you can use "SNEG?" to him with implying his bragging is totally a lie, and is based on hentai game he has played.
>>
cuatico.
there's no possible translation for this word, you have to get the feeling.
>>
>>54978812
holy hell that sounds so cute, it sounds something a baby tropical animal would say, or maybe a line in a nursery rhyme

''Pokpok Pakantot''
>>
Gezellig.
Has a Danish version as hygge.

Basically a feeling of cosiness, a good time, a nice evening on the couch with a few mates watching sports, a happy fun birthday.
>>
File: thats_you_buddy.png (315KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
thats_you_buddy.png
315KB, 624x352px
>>54978871
>"Ero" means "hentai"
>>
>>54978871
ero is stolen from erotic
ge is stolen from game

not even japanese
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagom
>>
Kanker. Sure, you could translate it into cancer, but a non-Dutch speaker can never perceive what it is to kanker.
>>
Vituttaa = pissed off, frustrated

English doesn't have a swear word used in a similar manner
>>
Chuj. It means chuj xDDD
>>
>>54979033
This.
It's even a verb, "kankeren".

A day you didn't kanker is a day not lived.
>>
>>54978041
nihyia ti ohuel, hyilan ohuevshiy. nahyi mne huiyarit hyiny dlya huya? mne chto delat nehuiya
>>
probably the only word is "нeдoпepeпил"

it means to drink (alcohol) more then possible, but less then you want to. (this "definition" i took from google)
>>
”Negero”

vomiting during slepping
>>
>>54978041
"Flâner"
Wandering the streets of Paris for enjoyment

"Dépaysement"
A feeling of disorientation or confusion from being in a foreign place
>>
We still use it in our area

>In Norwegian, uff or huff is an interjection used when something is unpleasant, uncomfortable, hurtful, annoying, sad, or irritating.[4] Uff da is most often used as a response when hearing something lamentable (but not too serious), and could often be translated as Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.[5]
>>
>>54978041
terroir

Well, terroir exists in English too, but with a much more limited meaning, mainly reduced to the geographical/geological elements and mostly linked with agricultural or workcraft product.

The original French word implies a very deep connection with human and cultural elements on top of this, which gives some expressions like "enfant du terroir" or "gens du terroir".
>>
Jetrva
Wives of 2 brothers are jetrva to each other. I think this is sister-in-law. Not many croatians know this word even. Also, it might also be used in Bosnia since it sounds kinda turkish
>>
>>54980051
This isn't sister in law*
>>
>>54979809
We have more specific words for the land when it comes to agriculture

>loamy
>gumbo
>hard pan
>alkaline
>>
File: FB_IMG_1452166412511.jpg (35KB, 720x462px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452166412511.jpg
35KB, 720x462px
Gluggaveður (noun)
When the weather seems great, when you’re looking through a window from inside, but is actually cold and not so great when you step out without a jacket. Literally it means “window-weather.”

Þórðargleði (noun)
The feeling of pleasure derived from seeing someone fail or suffer misfortune. The German word is well-known: “Schadenfreude” and is quite transparent, meaning “harm-joy.” The Icelandic word entered the language in the 20th century, and its source is the behaviour of an old mean-spirited farmer named Þórður. Literally it means “the joy of Þórður.”

Kviðmágur (noun)
Guys (or girls), who have slept with the same person. Literally it means “abdomen-brother-in-law”.

Álegg (noun)
A synonym for everything you decide to put on the bread. Cheese, jam, ham, paté, or whatever. Used in the same way as “toppings” for pizza in English.

Dalalæða (noun)
A waist-deep fog that forms during calm nights after a warm and sunny day. Literally means a fog that sneaks up from the bottom of a valley, “valley-sneak.”

Nenna (verb)
The closest word in English would be “to bother,” but there is no proper equivalent. The word can denote the meaning of being too lazy to do something (ég nenni ekki—I can’t be bothered, or I don’t feel like it), but is also often used almost as “please”: “nennir þú að loka hurðinni?” meaning, would you please close the door?

Sólarfrí (noun)
When staff gets an unexpected day or afternoon off to enjoy a particularly sunny and warm day. A reason to celebrate indeed. Literally it means “sun-vacation.”

Þettareddast(phrase)
Means “it will all work out okay,” but is often used when things look like they won’t work out at all.
The phrase has been described as Iceland’s motto. It can be both an indication of the nation’s general lack of enthusiasm for planning ahead properly, but also, more positively, shows a rich appetite for an easy-going laissez-faire attitude
>>
>>54980983

what a delightful language
>>
File: SsdxxsF.gif (78KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
SsdxxsF.gif
78KB, 400x400px
Vrijmibo.
Not much of a word, as it's a modern (last 3 years I think) shortening of "Vrijdag 's middags borrel", "Friday Afternoon Drink".
Basically, going for a beer on friday after work to celebrate weekend. Usually accompanied by getting off work an hour or two earlier.

>
>Þórðargleði (noun)
>The feeling of pleasure derived from seeing someone fail or suffer misfortune. The German word is well-known: “Schadenfreude” and is quite transparent, meaning “harm-joy.” The Icelandic word entered the language in the 20th century, and its source is the behaviour of an old mean-spirited farmer named Þórður. Literally it means “the joy of Þórður.”
Leedvermaak in Dutch. "Taking pleasure in the harming/pain of others."
Leed = harm, vermaak = humoring.

>Álegg (noun)
>A synonym for everything you decide to put on the bread. Cheese, jam, ham, paté, or whatever. Used in the same way as “toppings” for pizza in English.
Beleg in Dutch, but that's usually only reserved for meats, cheese, and not the spreading/smearings like peanut butter or jam.

>Þettareddast(phrase)
>Means “it will all work out okay,” but is often used when things look like they won’t work out at all.
>The phrase has been described as Iceland’s motto. It can be both an indication of the nation’s general lack of enthusiasm for planning ahead properly, but also, more positively, shows a rich appetite for an easy-going laissez-faire attitude
"Komt wel goed." in Dutch or "It'll go/be alright/fine." is similar, if I understand your explanation correctly.
Not really used in the same way, more likely among the lower/middle classes as "Komt goed" when faced with a problem, even if it seems impossible, as a "it won't be okay" attitude won't help at all.
>>
Sumákolni - It's something like trying to hide something bad even though the guilt is apparent to everybody else
>>
>>54980983
Icelandic is such a wonderful speech
>>
kärring [chaerring]
sort of means hag but mostly means a whiny wimp who doesn't like fun
>>
>Saudade

Its the feeling you have when you miss someone.
No translation to english
>>
>>54978041
Saudade
Cafuné
Chamego
Futevôlei

all I can think of desu
>>
>>54983585
and I forgot to explain what it means like an idiot, kek

Saudade - Feeling of missing someone dear to you

Cafuné - Caressing or tenderly running fingers through a loved one’s hair

Chamego - cuddling and being intimate with someone you love

Futevôlei - A mix of volleyball with football/soccer, it's pretty much volleyball but you can't use your hands
>>
File: japanese pepe.png (24KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
japanese pepe.png
24KB, 2048x2048px
>>54983585
so you just listed 4 things i will never feel
>>
File: image.png (55KB, 681x407px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
55KB, 681x407px
>>54983499
>poor aim
>>
"Schnapsidee"

It means that an idea is so stupid that the person who had the idea must have been drunk at the time.
>>
File: 020.jpg (263KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
263KB, 600x400px
Hanki = The hard crust that develops on snow.
You can sometimes walk on that shit too, fluffy shit underneath and a hard layer of ice on top.
>>
>>54978041
monyók
>>
>>54978041
plenty of it in german
>Treppenwitz
A witty joke or respond coming to your mind right after a conversation
>Sehnsucht
The feel of a inner need for something; most often poorly translated with desire
>Schadenfreude
The inner joy you feel seeing one failing or suffering
and so on...
>>
>>54986041
We call it skare.
>>
>>54986785
Jag vet
>>
>>54978041
Kelirikko. Thought English uses Russian version "Rasputitsa"

It's the time when unpaved roads became muddy at spring.
>>
File: 03032011171623.jpg (102KB, 640x376px) Image search: [Google]
03032011171623.jpg
102KB, 640x376px
>>54978041
There's a few words i can remember besides the usual ones (saudade, cafuné, etc.)

>Será
It may either mean "it will be" or express a general uncertainty about something
"Será que vai chover?" (I wonder if it will rain)

"-Acho que ele é gay (i think he's gay)
-Será?" (i wonder if that's the case/is he really?/i don't know)

>Pocar
This one is a quite versatile word from my state. It can mean to burst, to explode, to break, to punch, to hurt, and basically anything related to violence or destruction
"Vou pocar a sua cara" (i'll break your face)
"Os carros se pocaram" (the cars destroyed themselves/one-another)

It's short for "olha" (look). It means "look at that" but can also come with a tone of warning
"ó o bixo" (look, there's a beast over there and you should be careful [lel])
It can also be used alone, just "ó", as a way to make people pay attention to you or something
>>
>>54986041
Harðfenni
>>
File: kekekek.jpg (87KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
kekekek.jpg
87KB, 640x633px
>>54987371
>"ó o bixo" (look, there's a beast over there and you should be careful [lel])

kek
>>
Pizdariki (from Pizda = Cunt) - someting bad, but alike as "pizděc", it has funny sense. Bad but funny
>>
Sobremesa
When you stay on the table after lunch or dinner, for some chitchat and coffee
>>
>>54987752
Ó O BIXO VINO MULEKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSk9msqLsg
>>
>>54987576
>dépaysement
litterally un-countrying
the feeling of visiting a new place and feeling immersed to the point that you feel another person. By extension, doing something so new to you that you can't grasp the proper way to do it
>>
File: 1441385993079.png (1MB, 912x905px) Image search: [Google]
1441385993079.png
1MB, 912x905px
>>54987977
>recarrega feladapu-
*shakes in fear*

holy shit, my sides
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.