[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language Learning Feels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14

File: Le google image frog man.jpg (12KB, 353x352px) Image search: [Google]
Le google image frog man.jpg
12KB, 353x352px
>Be Cuban
>Parents can speak English fluently with an American accent and Spanish fluently with a Cuban accent.
>As I was growing up my family kept telling me how important it was to learn Spanish while my brain was still young and malleable
>Never bothered because I was an edgy shit
>Now I'm in college trying to learn Spanish to help with getting jobs
>Have a huge gringo accent
>constantly fuck up tenses and gendering words
>mispronounce things all the time and can't roll my r's in the middle of a sentence
>mfw

/int/ please tell me it gets better. Anyone else having similar problems learning a language.
>>
>>53852064
?*
Also this is my first post on /int/
>>
Please respond to my thread guys I'm having a crisis
>>
I swear I'll fucking kill myself if someone doesn't talk to me in this thread.
>>
>>53852064
It is your parents fault. No kid wants to learn a new language voluntarily. Your parents should have just spoken both to you as a baby and small child.
>>
>>53852458
They spoke Spanish to me as a child and I can understand the gist of what they say but I never really responded back in Spanish
>>
>>53852458
Also thank you for being the first and probably last reply of my thread it truly was an honor
>>
>both parents...all living relatives...from the same fucking country
>can't learn a language gaijin learn themselves
>being a literal cuckold
I recommend suicide
>>
>>53852064
You'll get there m8, it's hard to leave monolingualism once you're an adult but you can do it
>>
Just practise your Spanish, m8. These things take time. Try and watch Spanish TV, read books, etc, if you can find stuff you like. The number one task in learning a language is building in practice every day. I'm learning Mandarin, and it's honestly not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be -- but it definitely takes time.
>>
I guess it's just me in this thread
>>
>>53852496
Well they didn't do it enough then but it's not your fault. If you got enough Spanish at a young age you would know both.
>>
File: 1453182207423.png (138KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1453182207423.png
138KB, 375x375px
>>53852098
>>53852276
>>53852306
>>53852407
holy fucking shit dude chill <3

also i feel really fucking sorry for you bro, :c
>>
>>53852616
Nevermind
>>
>>53852615
>>53852612
Thanks guys I'm not so much pissed that I can't speak Spanish I'm more just pissed that I squandered the opportunity being a fucking retard
>>
>>53852064
>Be shitskin kid straight form the streets of Kabul. >Know 4 languages spoken and written before I got here
>Master English and French in 1.75-2.25 years. speak near accentless in 4.

Gonna work for either CSIS or any international organizations/intelligence agencies.
>>
>>53852607
I probably will soon senpai
>>
>>53852698
Any tips?
>>
File: I AM WHITE.png (675KB, 1600x1442px) Image search: [Google]
I AM WHITE.png
675KB, 1600x1442px
>>53852064

I know how you feel anon.

I'm 20 and I'm stumbling through the Rosetta Stone

But at least I won't have my parents' goofy Argentine/Chilean accents
>>
>>53852846

puta
>>
>>53852846
I thought the /int/ wiki says Rosetta Stone is bad for learning? I would like to meet an Argentinian or Chilean one day. In south Florida all we have is Cubans and Colombians
>>
File: index.png (7KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
7KB, 230x219px
>>53852894

I had to look up the definition of "puta" on google.

>>53852882

I'm just doing it for basic vocab right now. I'll probably move onto a book when I can string some simple sentences together

What resources are you using?
>>
>>538530032
I haven't been using resources people told me it would be better to learn from native speakers so I mainly just visit my parents and grandparents as often as I can and when I can't I talk on the phone.
>>
Just watch a bunch of Castro speeches and copy his inflections and vocabulary. That's literally how I learned to be more convincing when speaking Spanish.
>>
>>53853156
My grandparents grew up in communist Cuba and can't fucking stand Castro. Wouldn't it be better to just learn from regular conversations not speeches though?
>>
>>53853208
Actually now that I think about it I should have said lived instead of grew up as they didn't leave until their 30s
>>
Lol fag. My Mexican arents only allowed us to speak Spanish in our home. Now I consider myself fluent in Español.

>inb4 hur dur chicano
Fite me
>>
>>53853290
I honestly don't fully understand what you're trying to say.
>>
>>53853290
>My Mexican arents only allowed us to speak Spanish in our home
Based

Conocí a unos chicanos que no hablaban español debidamente y me ardía el culo siempre que los escuchaba
>>
>>53853208
No.
Real speech is often messy and too quick to follow. Also as an American you'll probably be speaking to Mexicans which is the most disgusting dialect you could pick up.

Castro spoke to be heard and enunciated very well. He also has a huge vocabulary so you can learn how not to sound like a caveman speaking 3 word sentences.

You don't have to like him or his ideas, but he is just a really based orator.
>>
>>53852064
Right now I'm watching an Italian movie and it's frustrating how they speak so fast and it's very hard to understand them. I can read it very easily though

The same thing happens with English, it's like my brain has trouble interpreting syllables
>>
>>53852064
Through practice you will get better.
>>
>>53853382
Ah I see also how well did it translate to being able to speak fluently were you able to keep up with Spanish speakers afterwards?
>>
>>53853404
Has it helped though? How far along into learning Italian are you?
>>
File: 1283.png (225KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
1283.png
225KB, 500x377px
>tfw learning Swedish
>apparently I sound like a Finn when I speak
>tfw can't pronounce stuff like "hur mår du" for some reason
>>
>>53853416
Thank you based huehue
>>
>>53853469
Why are you learning Swedish fellow burger?
>>
>>53853457
I'm slowly progressing. Let's say I'm a B1-B2 in written Italian and A2 in spoken Italian. But I'll ever be able to follow a very quick conversation with grace
>>
>>53853506
I don't know, I started learning it last winter and then spent 3 months in Sweden so I figure I might as well continue learning it
>>
>>53853535
How come you'll never be able to keep up a a conversation? Can you speak English well?
>>
>>53853469

if you want to move to sweden just learn arabic
>>
>>53853568
Yeah but Italian is faster. In general Southern European languages are spoken faster than English
>>
>>53853602
When I was in high school my French teacher would always say the defining characteristic of Germanic languages was that they have no rhythm or flow and they sound very choppy as a non native speaker do you think this is true?
>>
>>53852064
CHI
>>
>I never got to hear my Wehrmacht grandfather speak German
sch-scheiße
>>
>>53853572
Underrated post
>>
>>53853636
Maybe for German and Dutch, not for English
>>
How long have you been trying to learn it?
>>
>>53853636
I completely disagree with this
>>
>>53853730
About 4 months but not entirely seriously the whole time.
>>
>>53853730
For about 8 months...
>>
>>53853636
If this was true we wouldn't have a poetic tradition going back over a thousand years.
>>
File: 1448831111819.jpg (9KB, 207x204px) Image search: [Google]
1448831111819.jpg
9KB, 207x204px
>>53852064
what resources do you plan of using to improve your Spanish?
>>
>>53853761
I didn't think so either. She kept going about liaison and shit like that and how languages like English form sentences without paying attention to how it sounds when paired with the words ahead of it
>>
>>53852846
>I AM WHITE.png
>30% NATIVE
CANT MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>53853810
She would always say French was intentionally designed to have a sing songy rhythm to it while Germanic languages never payed much attention to the structure or order of words
>>
>>53853084
Don't learn spanish from your cuban grandpas.
Cuban spanish is shit. Tbqf.

Learn neutral spanish from shows and other sources. Your grandpas can only get you so far. You have to immerse yourself in the language. Talking to abuela once a month isn't going to do anything.
>>
Come on OP, gendering words in Spanish is pretty easy. With very very few exceptions, when it ends with an A, its feminine. Again, with few exceptions, when it ends with literally anything but an A, its masculine. most masculine words end with the letter O, but yeah, as long as it is not an A, it will usually be masculine, with A usually being feminine. As for learning languages being hard, it does not have to be. I speak Dutch as well, and took some spanish in school. Let me tell you, learning a language on your own is so much better than doing it in school. Schools do not teach languages correctly. I learned dutch on my own time, and I had a lot of fun with it because I wasn't being tested constantly and being punished for not doing my daily work on it. I just practiced with people, read dutch comics (comics are helpful, as the sentences are short and let you learn word order and expand your vocabulary. childrens books will help too). I also practiced almost every day - key being almost. don't practice on a certain day if you don't feel up to it. it just makes it feel like a job as a opposed to a fun experience. I recommend a website called duolingo. its free, and it really helps a lot. you can also practice speaking on duolingo, but you can disable that and just practice your reading and writing if you want. as for rolling r's, its really not that important. they will be able to tell if your a native english speaker, but still understand you just fine. can't you still understand an english speaker if they have an accent? its just like that - its not too important, but do practice it. i would recommend dropping out of your spanish class and doing it on your own time. and yes, it is easier for children to learn things, but you can still easily learn as an adult - adults who decide to be monolingual because they "are too old to learn" are just ignorant and lazy.
>>
>>53853910
Well my parents speak a much more neutral Spanish than my grandparents. Also I've recently been trying to make Spanish speaking friends irl but i'm pretty autistic tbqhwyf
>>
>>53852064
Kek. Similar issue to you, although not quite as bad. I'm a native speaker, it sounds good coming out of my mouth, except for my R's, but I know nothing about grammar and I can't read or write it all. Like you, I never bothered learning when I was a kid. I also didn't bother learning it in High School. I took German instead. Now I'm taking French in college, much to the disappointment of my mother. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll never learn proper Spanish. Anyway, right now, I'm having a lot of trouble with French pronunciation. There's so many crazy rules and new sounds
>>
File: 1453087434969.jpg (104KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453087434969.jpg
104KB, 900x900px
BLAME YOUR PARENTS. ONE OF THEM SHOULD HAVE SPOKEN IT TO YOU. I GREW UP BILINGUAL BECAUSE MY MOTHER SPOKE ENGLISH TO ME SINCE SHE'S A NATIVE SPEAKER FROM NEW ZEALAND.
>>
>>53853945
I know the rules and how to use them but every time i'm speaking I completely sperg out and make literally every grammatical error possible.
>>
>>53853949
Do you play games online?
Try speaking to the first hispanic you stumble upon.
Just talk shit or whatever.
It can help.
>>
>>53852064
>>As I was growing up my family kept telling me how important it was to learn Spanish

Cuban-Americans said that?
>>
>>53853962
I could never blame my parents I will always believe I should have pulled myself up by my bootstraps and made an effort to spreak in Spanish with them.
>>
>>53853949
Go to any spanish speaking cunt a spend a month there (not being an autistic fuck) and you'll get much better
>>
>>53853962
Please vocaroo some flight of the concords bits in new zealandy finglish
>>
>>53853810
>I don't speak literal viking
>I can barely understand people from 100 years ago
JUST
>>
>>53854001
They always tell me how common Spanish is and my dad always says how many more job opportunities he got from being bi lingual
>>
CHI
>>
>>53853873
Icelandic has a rhythm to it too, she's just retarded and knows nothing about other languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdYQu-pB3nU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qECgRnV64
>>
>>53854019
I won't be able to leave this country for at least another 4 years m80
>>
>>53854154
Holy shit viking bro that sounds amazing do you have anything else like this or atleast the name for that kind of style?
>>
1000 years ago is not really "viking", but that was during the old english period. old norse did have a pretty big influence on old english, if you want to hear literal viking listen to some icelandic or elfdalian or some shit lol
>>
>>53854188
Eeh. It's pretty damn close.
>>
I do like how the north germanic languages are all so, well not really similar, but you can really see the relation between them. German and dutch has this too, but english is like this fucking soft-ass black sheep child language with 30% latin 30% french vocab lol. in terms of vocab tho, the rest is very germanic. old english is really cool, it shows how germanic english really is and how it used to sound so germanic. germanic languages are the best lol.
>>
english does have some weird sounds thoguh, like "th". ask a german person to pronounce "the" and you will have a nice laugh at what they sputter out. >> 53854209
>>
>>53854023

My computer doesn't have flash.
>>
>>53854295
Kinda weird since we have th in our language
Mathe, for example
>>
>>53854183
It's from a band called Voces Thules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-WWQj254UQ
>>
File: tumblr_nowvz6Qmkf1uvq3s5o1_500.png (103KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nowvz6Qmkf1uvq3s5o1_500.png
103KB, 500x419px
>>53852064
Reddit.com/r/Spanish
If your still there there is in the sidebar of that subreddit a Skype group you can join. We have some people with similar cases as you. Don't stress bro, we can help you out. Join the reddit Spanish group we got like 90 niggas
>>
File: Loudnoises.gif.gif (993KB, 445x250px) Image search: [Google]
Loudnoises.gif.gif
993KB, 445x250px
>>53852064
My family on dads side speak french. Sometimes i feel like i understand and try and join in... durrr qui est le homme...sorry who was that guy...

>family looks at me fucked up.
>humour me
>WALL OF HUEHUEHUE.jpeg
>....look retarded.
>Sorry
>>
germans think they are the master race. the spengalions are the master race.
>>
>>53854188
The Viking Age was a thousand years ago.
>>
>>53854357
This is pretty similar to be speaking with my grandparents but not quite as severe
>>
Old English is so fun to read.
Wish I could find more prose on the Internet though.
>>
File: KEK.jpg (352KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
KEK.jpg
352KB, 5000x5000px
>>53852064
>be America
>have to speak Spanish
>>
>>53854331
https://youtu.be/_L_xtoT2gBQ
Do you know any songs like this? This is one of my favorite songs.
>>
>>53854930
shutup frenchie
>>
File: Peruvian-Nazi-party-leade-008.jpg (38KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Peruvian-Nazi-party-leade-008.jpg
38KB, 460x276px
>>53853863
>>
File: wtf i am cri.jpg (1MB, 1141x1141px) Image search: [Google]
wtf i am cri.jpg
1MB, 1141x1141px
>tfw I've never been capable of rolling R in my entire life

"RDRDRDRDRDR RRRR[MACHINE GUN SOUNDS] RRRRRRR"
>>
>>53854019

>not being an autistic fuck

pls advise
>>
>>53852064
OP, si todavía estás aquí, puedes practicar conmigo a cualquier vez.
Normalmente estoy en los hilos latinos, o hilos españoles.
Empecé a estudiar español hace 14 meses y todavía puede decir todo esto sin una diccionario. Supongo que esto es bastante bueno por un hombre que nunca ha estudiado ni escuchado a español en su vida normal.
Buena suerte
>>
>>53854979
Its by the same band Voces Thules.

The album name is Íslandsklukkur, you should check that for more, there's only a instrumental version on youtube though.
>>
saving bump
>>
Page 10 save rave
>>
>be me
>study tajik
>nobody knows what tajik is
>nobody knows tajikistan even exists
>>
>OP either hasn't woken up, or hanged himself

My money is riding on the second one desu
>>
>>53861763
Why are you studying that? Family connection are were you just bored out of your brain one time and spammed "random article" on Wikipedia until you came across it?
>>
>>53856376
>Normalmente estoy en los hilos latinos
Masoquismo para ser honesto.
>>
>>53861809
I collect language learning books from common to obscure. I also am interested in Central Asia.
>>
>>53861981
>"""El POLACO"""
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ
>>53862224
Sounds like a cool hobby desu
>>
File: 1453156713955.jpg (31KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1453156713955.jpg
31KB, 550x550px
>>53852064
Oh no, you immigrated to a country and properly integrated. What a horrible mistake you have made.
>>
>>53863570
You can still integrate and keep your old language you dumb fucking Anglo cuck

Is this the type of shit you cunts spam when you realise you have no culture?
>>
>>53864096
That is by definition not integrating.
>new worlder lecturing me about culture
kek
>>
>>53864132
If he had learned spanish as well as his standard routine life, does that mean he hasn't integrated?
How does this compare to the Americans who have been there for 9 generations, but learned spanish in school.
They now have very similar lives, the only difference is the Anglo knows spanish, and that's okay, because it's just a language.
But the Cuban didn't learn it, and that's okay, because that means he has integrated.

Also
>be me
>mock.anglos
>thinks I'm a new worlder

You what ? How dumb are you?
>>
> tfw nobody uses coptic
Hos e-pipapa ;_;
>>
>>53853469
>speak Swedish, sound like a Finn
>speak English, sound like a Finn
>speak German, sound like a Finn
>mongrelize Estonian, definitely sound like a Finn
I know your feels.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.