[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Americans using double-negation to emphasize the meaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (15KB, 382x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 382x358px
>Americans using double-negation to emphasize the meaning
>I don't have no money
>I am not afraid of no ghost
mfw
>>
>>53846013
niggers do that
americans dont
>>
>>53846013

They are aware of what they're saying, it just lends a bit of character to the speech imo.
>>
its "i aint afraid of no ghost" dumb jap monkey
>>
>>53846050

I do it sometimes and I'm a white, northern American. It's fun.
>>
>>53846109
You're garbage
>>
>>53846056
Double negation is often used to say positive meaning in Japanese so it's confusing.
>>
>>53846013
Certain dialects in America have that kind of speech. It's informal and is not the standard way of communication. What's the problem? Dialects are weird. The rules in that particular dialect are consistent enough to the point where the speakers aren't confused as to what is being said. Also this is not something unique to America. I'm sure other places have dialects with weird quirks too.
s m h dumb gooks
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 249x243px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 249x243px
>>53846343
>just saying a weird thing is weird
>someone being triggered
Sweet.
>>
>>53846496
>triggered
yeah literally pulsating at the temples right now m9
>>
File: 1409156873824.jpg (36KB, 366x334px) Image search: [Google]
1409156873824.jpg
36KB, 366x334px
>>53846013
>mfw double and even triple negation is mandatory in Bulgarian and means negation
>>
>>53846013
>>53846050
You got EVERYTHING backwards

Double negation is the normal thing to do, but Anglos force themselves not to do this. It kind of works but the folks will try to set this straight
>>
>>53846013
>mfw qt's mother does this then qt does it for weeks afterwards
>>
It's normal in spanish
>>
>>53846316
Well this is English not Japanese you stupid fuck
August 6, 1945 best day of my life
>>
>>53846013
>he hasn't seen ghost busters

CANT MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>53846316
same in English, things like "I ain't got none" is very bad English
>>
>he dindu nuffin!
>>
>>53846013
This is just a poor people/southerner thing.
>>
>>53850164
>Negating a negative which makes it a positive but relies on the recipient to know the intention in order to not be confused is the normal thing to do
>Polish intelectuals
>>
>>53856061
Implying it isn't obvious someone's using it as an idiom from the context. Stop being autistic.
>>
Two negatives equal a positive.
>>
>>53856417
Yeah it is obvious to anyone not socially inept, but it's not the clearly normal thing that needs to be forced out like it's just the default way to speak, it's something you could only pick up from other people doing it.
>>
>>53850164
>Double negation is the normal thing to do
Boland no.
>>
>>53856061
"No man shall ever harm me again as long as I stand."

No man is a negative that is inclusive since it means all men in context who were to hypothetically oppose me.

I ain't afraid of no ghost is a double negative but in context no ghost means all ghosts. So You can say "I ain't afraid of ghosts" or "I ain't afraid any ghosts" but it former sounds shitty and clunky and the latter you are already using ain't so might as well add more character to it.
>>
If you use double negation in any Indic language, you'll be deemed a retard.
>>
>>53856524
That relies entirely on the use of ain't when you could quite easily say "I'm not afraid of ghosts"
>>
Double negative meaning a negative is in Chaucer, and was Standard English until the Age of Enlightenment when people thought "wait, shouldn't the 2 negatives logically cancel each other out and form a positive?" and English was changed accordingly.
>>
>>53856585
In the song it doesn't match the tempo.
>>
>>53856642
Well there's the difference here I'm just talking about the general use of the statement.
>>
>Double negation clouds meaning

Yeah, right.
>>
Nah you don't understand in that context no is being used in place of any not as an actually negative "I am not afraid of any ghost" "I ain't afraid of no ghost"
>>
>>53846013
In Polish (and probably other Slavic languages) it is the grammatical standard
>>
File: 165187616584.png (15KB, 438x429px) Image search: [Google]
165187616584.png
15KB, 438x429px
>>53846613
>triple negation
>>
some japs ain't never gonna learn
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.