[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My gf is the daughter of Korean immigrants. She has no noticeable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1447343977600.gif (111KB, 340x450px) Image search: [Google]
1447343977600.gif
111KB, 340x450px
My gf is the daughter of Korean immigrants. She has no noticeable accent, speaks only basic Korean, but understands it fluently. Growing up, my gf spoke with her parents almost exclusively in Korean, and as she grew older she started responding in English to everything but yes-or-no questions.

How common is this sort of half-fluency? How well do children of immigrants in your country tend to retain an understanding of their parents' native language?
>>
>>53160067
the little kids of the chinese that have a supermarket 20 meters from my parents house used to speak half chinese half spanish

it was quite hilarious
>>
>>53160096
that sounds very cute

code-switching is so kawaii
>>
>>53160128
it's cute till they have age and they send them back to china to stay in school and don't see their parents for years
>>
korean gf???
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.
Had her face had plastic surgery?
>>
>>53160067
>My gf is the daughter of Korean immigrants.
Kek, let me guess, You're white, 6', and have blue eyes?
>>
>>53160067
My school has a huge Cantonese/Mandarin speaking population, it's pretty often that kids will communicate in English with their Chinese-speaking parents.
>>
>>53160269
Not OP, but
>tfw I am
>>
>>53160269
I'm ~5'10", everything else is accurate tho. Apparently I'm the only guy she's ever dated that her parents seem to be okay with

>>53160214
not that I'm aware of
>>
>>53160096
>>53160128

to add: the chinese had the supermarket and shared a small space with a bolivian woman who had a fruit vending stand

the kid of the bolivian woman and the chinese little girl would play outside being watched by a cuban drunktard that spent too much time in the entrance
>>
>>53160452
Sounds like a multicultural paradise
>>
>>53160480
"Crisol de razas"
>>
>>53160067
I'm also a Korean with similar circumstances, incidentally.

Being more exposed to English and less to my native language, I can be more articulate with English but not so with Korean. I could tell you half a dozen similar words for "like" right now but I'd struggle with Korean. I also occasionally say Korean phrases that technically makes sense in English but no one in Korea actually say. I end up sounding like an idiot so I feel comfortable with English, even though I could probably hold a simple conversation in Korean. This isn't accounting for the extra issue of words I never learned because I never took higher education in Korea.

tl;dr it's less about fluency and more about articulation, at least in my personal experience
>>
>>53160698
desu when i worked and studied in korea felt awkward meeting american koreans since i'm not even korean speak fluently and they struggled uttering a few sentences correctly
>>
>>53160757
They must have been born and bred in the States. I'm a citizen by birth too but I also spent few years in Korea when I was young so I got to be more fluent
>>
>>53160414
If you aren't part of the blue-green master race, gas yourself.

>>53160421
You're probably just a status symbol m8, just wait till you get married and have a kid, she's just gonna forget about you, withhold sex and demand you buy her lots of things.

>>53160698
Are you the guy who was unable to get into the army due to bad vision or some other health related Disqualification.
>>
I speak more English than my parent's mother tongue. I can read and write only on a basic level.
>>
>>53161173
>Are you the guy who was unable to get into the army due to bad vision or some other health related Disqualification.
No, must have been someone else.

I assume US army because I'd be ineligible for Korean army because I'm US citizen
>>
>>53161286
>I'd be ineligible for Korean army because I'm US citizen
Kek, if your family reported you to the family registry and you vist south korea, you're liable to get conscripted, unless you renounce your citizenship. Its gonna easier to avoid being conscripted but, its still something you might have to worry aboutnif you visit and south Korea considers you a citizen.
>>
>>53161478
>gonna
*gotten
>>
>>53160067
I'm the same with Japanese Tbh. Can understand everything, but find it hard to express complicated emotions. I can easily get by in Japan without any language problems, but wouldn't be able to work in Japanese.
>>
>>53161478
I'm fairly certain I lost dual citizenship a long time ago. I also heard US born Koreans can be conscripted somehow, but I think that applies to ones born after a certain year and I'm old enough to be exempt.

Besides, I'm not super eager to go back to Korea. I'd have to deal with family.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.