[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cycling in slavdom (yes, magyardom too)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 175759_1915606421713_6757161_o.jpg (532KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
175759_1915606421713_6757161_o.jpg
532KB, 2048x1536px
To whomever it may concern - I'm planning to go on a rather big cycling tour over central Europe with friends.

And nowe here's a question. Will a mixture of fluent English, French, decent Russian and German suffice to communicate with
Czechs,
Hungarians,
Slovaks,
Croats,
and Lithuanians?

Should I expect any particular/open hostility towards 4 Polish cyclists?

So far we've been to Belarus, Ukraine and Estonia, and there were no major problems.
>>
ponglish will be enough
>>
>>53101756
I've been to Hungary once, though only in Budapest, Szentendre and Balaton, so people there did know some English, though also some knew Polish, which kinda surprised me.

Also, I guess that basic communication won't be a problem, but if we wanted to have a true conversation, how easy would it be to find a partner?
>>
>>53101714
You can even speak Polish with most people here
I don't think you'll have any problems because you're Polish
>>
File: krtek_by_surczak.jpg (227KB, 1000x1390px) Image search: [Google]
krtek_by_surczak.jpg
227KB, 1000x1390px
>>53101984
Won't there be problem with the "Slovak/Czech language is Polish just with funnier words... oh wait it isn't" trap? I've never actually met a Slovak or a Czech, only watched your cartoons which were either dubbed or didn't have any dialogues at all (SÄ…siedzi, krtek)
>>
>>53101714

I went to Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and Croatia (not Lithuania though) with a group of five other mates.

None of us spoke anything but English.

We were fine.
>>
>>53102193
I had the feeling that Hungarians aren't too ken on English. You stayed in major cities? Or you just encountered people who spoke English with no difficulty?
>>
>>53101714
How come you picked up so many languages, Przemek? Is your French really serviceable?
>>
>>53102345

We stayed one night in Budapest and everyone we came across there spoke English - the staff of the hostel, people in bars, and the Turkish guys in the kebab shop.

But we also spent two nights in Keszthely, a tiny little town on Lake Balaton. We met some girls there our age who spoke some English (not a huge amount). The staff at our campsite had some very rudimentary English if I remember. But I do remember we went to a restaurant and they spoke basically no English at all. But we still managed to order our meal (I think the menu had English translations) and lots of beers.
>>
>>53102484
Actually those are the languages our whole group speaks :)

But i do know them, I learned English because it's the current lingua franca,
French because i have family there and been spending some time there,
Russian because i live in Eastern Poland (where noone invests) and to get prepared for rus-Anschluss. German - because ger-Anschluss and my mother is a teacher of both.
>>
>>53102736
reeeee, so jelly
>>
>>53102736
If I invested in east Poland, would I actually make some money?
>>
>>53102345

I mean basically here's my advice to you - stop worrying about your languages. Just go and have a great time. Travelling across Europe was the most enjoyable thing I ever did.
>>
>>53102722
Fair enough, our concern about Hungary is gone then. Thanks for sharing.

>>53102778
well, languages are one of the very few things i grasped (and my family is generally multi-lingual, which helps a lot), i suppose there is sometihng i could be jelly about you (eg. comparing Baltic sea and your Beaches... there is no comparison)

>>53102813
unemployment in my area is 17%. people crave for jobs. if you'd start almost ANY business here and employ ppl, you'd be a regional hero, get some tax relief. labor here is rather cheap, land and real estate too. there is good road and rail connection, there is even a semi-operational airport (semi- because very close to Belarussian border, planes taking off almost cross it). You wouldn't make tons of gold, but you'd get some return and gratitude. Unless some ultra-nationalist "hurr-durr foreign capital" would oppose, which is unlikely
>>
>>53102915
Probs you're right, maybe i've heard a bit too much about post-commie shitholesness and generally worrying stories from trucker friends and uni colleagues.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.