[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

#DAMAGED LINES

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 15

>ALWAYS sketch using textured, often asymmetrical brushes because it adds an appealing roughshod and unfinished quality to the image

>whatever appeal the completely random line weight and lost or textured edges add to the drawing obviously doesn't carry over into finished work and replacing, let alone following the lines accurately seems impossible

>anything I bring to a finish looks like the artwork from an anime or science fiction convention programming guide at best and I KNOW you know what I'm talking about

>I've been drawing for years and I've probably finished less than 5 pieces, none of which I've saved

HELP ME
>>
>>3119651
>complains about a problem they're facing
>does not post their work to further asses the issue
>still wants others to help despite of that

kys famalam.
>>
File: sad-bald-man.jpg (23KB, 721x589px) Image search: [Google]
sad-bald-man.jpg
23KB, 721x589px
>>3119654
Here's a quick profile of a sadly drawn sad bald man
>>
>>3119656
Use thinner lines.
>>
File: Sadbaldman.jpg (50KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Sadbaldman.jpg
50KB, 480x640px
>>3119651
>>3119656
Learn to ink. It is not impossible, many people do it.
Or don't ink, find another way.
But you cannot make your sketch pass for ink, or maybe you can.
Also, symbol drawing ?
Also, your drawing is weird, why is the chin so round and the rest of the face son angular ?
Your lines are not pretty, they are messy, but it's a sketch so it's okay, but maybe you need to master your tool/practice inking ?
Also, symbol drawing ?
>>
File: Punished Cesar Romero.jpg (35KB, 467x427px) Image search: [Google]
Punished Cesar Romero.jpg
35KB, 467x427px
>>3119685
Surely there's more to it than that!

>>3119692

>symbol drawing

Yes and no. Symbol drawing as an invective applies to observational drawing only, not a cartoon head somebody draws from imagination in a couple minutes. It's not a catch all term for "bad" or whatever; imagination drawings are "symbol drawn" by their very nature.

>Learn to ink. It is not impossible, many people do it.

>practice inking

That's the idea, I'm just not sure where to start. That, along with coloring seems like it's almost entirely its own discipline, distinct from drawing. Especially when I've gotten into the habit of using brushes whose qualities aren't desirable or reproducible in a finished drawing.
>>
File: sadnotbaldman.jpg (2MB, 1920x2756px) Image search: [Google]
sadnotbaldman.jpg
2MB, 1920x2756px
>>3119712
Yes, you hide your mistake behind those brushes so you don't have to work so hard, but now you see your mistake so it is time to ...décalotter
Just ink your drawing, don't take pride in your sketch or your years of work, just practice. Set the opacity of your sketch layer very low and ink over it while thinking of the weight of the line. Maybe observe comics books closely, study the work of professionnals. What makes their lines work etc
it doesnt have to be very clean, but it has to mean something, energetic
>>
>>3119656
WE
>>
>>3119692
>Also, symbol drawing ?
>in a stylized line drawing
/beg/ school of critique at its finest.
>>
>>3119651
yup, i get that. for me, it's with painting, so usually i have to just not do a drawing at all and do all the cool looking stuff with the paint, becomes annoying to do more finished pieces though. i'm considering doing a few very big pictures to see if that helps, then downsizing that process if it does.
>>
>>3119656
Show your inked work
>>
>>3120098
Just look at anything Jazza does and that's pretty much it, my man. Maybe I'll try and ink something soon but I don't have anything saved at the moment unfortunately.
>>
>>
>>3120538
In hindsight the tricep obviously doesn't overlap the deltoid so I don't know what I was thinking there. Also I have no idea what forearms (or anything else) looks like, but this was just an example for >>3120098
>>
>>3120538
>>3120542
Lineweight, my dude.
>>
File: ....png (600KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
....png
600KB, 600x600px
>>3120581
Even after watching a video by Doxy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMzBixUX74) and a pair of f*rries (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxcJez9Ge1Y) I still feel hopeless.

There are greater forces at work here than I can comprehend at this time. Why is this so not-intuitive to me? At first glance it just seems like it'd be little more than tracing the sketch but there's apparently...substantially more to it than that.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1504273691318.jpg (23KB, 442x387px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1504273691318.jpg
23KB, 442x387px
>It's another I don't want to take time to improve, but I don't understand why I'm still shit
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.jpg (83KB, 600x899px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.jpg
83KB, 600x899px
>>3120730
You know who else doesn't want to take time to improve and doesn't understand why they're still sh*t?

...you're mom!

xd
>>
>>3120623
Just do some studies of an artist who does linework that you like or fits your style. Maybe find a brush for linework thats a bit closer to what you want.

Maybe even consider what "finished" means to you, stuff doesn't need solid black outlines to be finished.

Or you can just post another joker picture and cry about it for the rest of your life dude.
>>
File: I'm (not) ready.jpg (35KB, 465x701px) Image search: [Google]
I'm (not) ready.jpg
35KB, 465x701px
>>3120742
>Just do some studies of an artist who does linework that you like or fits your style.

As obvious as it should be that is solid advice, I'm just moreso having a hard time understanding what I'm looking at. Even when someone's explaining what they're doing and heaven forbid SHOWING me I'm caught up thinking about the more esoteric aspects of the process.

It probably does just come down to not doing it enough, myself, but it seems inexplicably mystifying to me.

>Maybe even consider what "finished" means to you, stuff doesn't need solid black outlines to be finished

A good point and one I think I'll have to invest a lot of time thinking about and experimenting with.

>Or you can just post another joker picture and cry about it for the rest of your life dude.

How rude. Wow, just wow! I can't even!
>>
>>3119651
are you me?
>>
>>3120734
*Your.

At least pretend you're not totally retarded, anon.
>>
>>3121036
For your sake, I sure hope not

>>3121120
That's was a joke tho xd
>>
File: Untitled.png (76KB, 1003x430px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
76KB, 1003x430px
>>3121136
Heres the kind of settings I have been using for my linework. I find a really high stabilizer helps with lineweight. It gives you that time to slow down with the stroke and think about how much pressure you want to put, which goes well with the big cure in thickness I use.

I keep the opacity below 100 so I can go back and reinforce lines where I want a darker black which helps a lot not having 100% solid black linework. I'm still trying to improve my linework with but slowly finding it more enjoyable.
>>
>>3121156
Thanks for the software tip, I hope you make it someday...if you haven't already.
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (79KB, 1116x917px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
79KB, 1116x917px
kill me fäm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWMtpYmMgg
>>
You can obviously draw. You got the jazz. But your problem is youre at the intermediate level and want the results of someone beyond that. Im sure you despise these words but just keep practicing son. Art is a constant uphill climb until u die
>>
File: JUST.jpg (82KB, 1114x1020px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
82KB, 1114x1020px
>>3122934
I've been stuck in this comfort zone for a long, long time my friend. Looks like there's only one way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f10CtaCoeVI
>>
>>3123052
Good job recognizing your weakness.
>>
>>3123052
The big problem I see is: the way you're doing your inking isn't replicating the character of the original sketch.
The sketch has varied line thickness and seems like you cared about it more since you bothered to do light shading, and the "ink" just has very uniform lines and looks much stiffer hastier/rushed.

Maybe you should try inking with a textured, asymmetrical brush that is similar to the brush you sketch with, or even do your inking with the same brush.
Instead of seeing it as the "oh great now i have to draw all that shit AGAIN" phase, use the inking step as an opportunity to improve on the sketch. It's not just tracing, it's refinement.

If you need to boost motivation, you might also try coloring the sketches directly, instead of inking them, and seeing if you have better results - but don't give up on inking, or start thinking that you "can't" do it. You just need to develop a method of inking that works for you.
>>
File: le hair in the eyes girl face.jpg (77KB, 1075x950px) Image search: [Google]
le hair in the eyes girl face.jpg
77KB, 1075x950px
>>3123086
Good advice all around

>hastier/rushed

I suppose I am rushing a bit. I know it's a fairly involved process that takes many artists far better than myself hours and hours to complete-but I can't help but wish it was over the moment I begin. I suppose my poor results are likely both the catalyst for my haste as well as a direct product of it.

>the "oh great now i have to draw all that shit AGAIN" phase

Yeah that's pretty much exactly how I feel about it at this time-I'm looking forward to the day I find the process compelling, but it will likely be a long journey to get there. I think step one will be forcing myself to have a good attitude about it instead of feeling sorry for myself all the time.

https://youtu.be/FdoFZQXTi4U
>>
>>3120538
Utilize pressure sensitivity. That is your homework, your new goal. Report back with results please. . .
>>
Any inking resources to share? I also have problems with it
>>
>only draw heads because it's the only thing i feel comfortable drawing
SOMEBODY STOP ME
>>
>>3123086
I've been following this thread because I find Myself in the same position as the other anon and I have to say that this post has been really helpful
I give this reply 10 KJG boxes out of ten and I wish you Loomis muchfords
>>
>>3124028
>muchfords
>>
>>3124007
Alfonso Dunn has a book and a youtube channel. Can't find a pdf. Sorry.
>>
>>3120538
I wanted to be mad at this thread and assume you're being a twat but this image resounded with me on a spiritual fucking level and I have to laugh so I dont cry.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.