[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/beg/ - THE BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 76

File: op.png (1MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
1MB, 1440x1440px
IF YOU ARE A /BEG/INNER IN ART, please use this thread to post pieces for critique or ask for advice. We should not have to make new threads or post in the Drawthread with our fundamental exercises.

Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make someone proud.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

OLD THREAD: >>3103657
>>
File: 1454458765679.jpg (197KB, 467x750px) Image search: [Google]
1454458765679.jpg
197KB, 467x750px
ESSENTIALS:

>https://warosu.org/ic/thread/3023643
Links to many art books including as Keys to Drawing (Dodson), Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Edwards), Perspective Made Easy (Norling), Color and Light (Gurney), The Vilppu Drawing Manual (Vilppu) and How to Draw (Robertson).

>http://ctrlpaint.com
A website dedicated to understanding the basics and process of digital painting, based in Adobe Photoshop. Library of over 200 free videos.

>http://quickposes.com
Free pose library to practice drawing the human figure (as well as a portrait library). Draw at your own pace or set a timer for quick gesture drawings.

>https://www.youtube.com/user/onairvideo
Croquis Cafe - Timed model poses.

>http://drawabox.com
Controversial yet helpful introductory course on the fundamentals of drawing with a focus on understanding the concept of form and thinking in a 3-dimensional mindset while you draw.

>Your local life drawing class
Life drawing is an indispensable tool in your art career. Do not be intimidated based on your skill level - there will always be someone worse than you and someone better than you. Use this opportunity to meet new artists for learning, critique, and growth.
>>
>>3105894
Loomis isn't ugly tho
>>
File: 20170819_sketch1.jpg (42KB, 680x717px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_sketch1.jpg
42KB, 680x717px
I feel like I can only draw for about 20 minutes before falling apart.
>>
File: i guess.png (112KB, 642x1000px) Image search: [Google]
i guess.png
112KB, 642x1000px
no reference because i didn't use any (probably my biggest mistake)

i have been drawing nothing but spheres and heads for a few days now, but i'm unsure of what i should actually be doing to get better. like, focusing on anatomy? form? perspective? proportion? doing studies of things? doing more sketches like this or trying to finish them?
>>
>>3105936
You should be doing all of them. Figure drawing involves all the things you mentioned. Proko has a great playlist on figure drawing.
>>
File: IMG_20170819_173511_209.jpg (121KB, 918x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170819_173511_209.jpg
121KB, 918x918px
Crit pls
>>
>>3105971

Personally, you're making me really uncomfortable.
>>
>>3105974
Why?
>>
>>3105974
agreed
>>
I can't shade or colour any drawings. I struggle with solid colours and then turning them into subtle shades that look natural.
I kinda understand in black and white and some come out okay in that but colours through me off.

I just do art in photoshop.net which is essentially tracing and editing until the lineart looks right. I intend to learn to draw properly but for now that is fine.

No art I'd like to share though.
>>
>>3105971
go back to deviant art
>>
>>3105971

Because you remind me of that guy who had like 1000 drawings in the same style about a mouse in scooba diving gear.
>>
>>3105991
What the fuck? I'm trying to improve. No need to be rude.
>>
>>3106004

If you're really trying to improve, read the sticky and follow the steps there. Feel free to continue drawing your muscley chubby dudes for fun, but don't think by drawing badly a lot you will improve at all.
>>
>>3106004
>No need to be rude
yes there is
leave
>>
>>3106005
So practicing my observational and measurement skills is doing nothing to help me improve? That seems counterintuitive.

>>3106010
It's a free website. I'll keep posting. So you can fuck off yourself buddy.
>>
>>3105971
Please leave and never come back.
>>
>>3106015
I'm staying right here. Sorry for triggering you :^)
>>
>>3106012
Can you stop posting your fetish art? Just post regular perspective studies or something.
>>
>>3105894
>https://warosu.org/ic/thread/3023643
I can't find the Vilppu Drawing Manual in that link. For fucks sakes, been asking for it for weeks. I found some videos of him, but not that book, that's the one that I want. Can someone link me it please? And I'll make a drawing for you.
>>
>>3106012
It kinda is, yes. You clearly don't know what you should be observing and how you should be measuring, considering the quality of your drawings. If you keep practicing something you don't understand and can't do well, do you think you'll improve for the better?

I'm more inclined to think you're just trolling. This is the last you'll get from me in any case.
>>
>>3105971
Your fetish for rugby chubby players really pisses me off, I hate rugby players. I gave you honest criticism once and you didn't answer or tried to apply it apparently.

I'm with the rest here, you make me uncomfortable.
>>
>>3106019
It's a fully clothed man. Why are you so triggered?
>>
>>3106012
You should be drawing skinny or muscular people to get a better feel of the human body before you even think of drawing fat guys all day. It's also very obvious you haven't taken the time to learn basic construction, gesture, or even develop your linework. How many days is it since you started drawing? Stop chicken scratching already and draw longer strokes from the shoulder. Your art makes me uncomfortable, but it's even worse when I see other beginners wasting their time staying in their comfort zone when they could be making huge gains.
>>
>>3105910
i feel the exact opposite
>>
>>3106029
I've been drawing every day for a couple months. I was much worse before so I'm confident I'll keep improving.
>>
>>3106040
Ok, then take my advice and work on:
-construction, applying a frame to exactly what you're drawing
-perspective, giving your drawings more of a 3d feeling
-anatomy and gestures, please draw a lot of gestures daily so that you can draw poses from imagination
-general line exercises, go do drawabox lesson 1 and don't come back until you finish it.
>>
File: unexpected courting.png (107KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
unexpected courting.png
107KB, 800x900px
I guess crit me, since no one posted in the style thread.
>>
>>3106046
stay in our containment thread my dear brother in arms

also, we don't need texts describing your fetish to judge or critique your drawing
>>
>>3106046
Don't stylize until you can draw a pose from imagination and rotate it freely, and show a competent level of anatomy. Your drawings will look very stiff without practicing gesture, and shit anatomy is a really great way to take a design or idea and ruin it by making it look absolutely horrible.
>>
mongols please save the west again
>>
>>3105971
>This literal retard finishes his gay fetish drawings every time
>Nosebro STILL can't paint a single thing
>>
>>3106052
the anatom is bad?
>>
>>3106056
what makes you think I'm gay??
>>
>>3106060
Before even looking at the body that blob of a right hand just jumps out at you. It's fine to draw for fun, but you shouldn't get so caught up in it that you neglect studying areas in which you're weak. I definitely recommend daily gestures to you as well as following Artists who draw that weird fetish stuff you like to see how they convey the softness of the body with line or whatever it is they do. If you were GOOD at drawing the fetish stuff you were doing then people would be a lot less uncomfortable. Go back to traditional and build fundies.
>>
>>3106046
use a pencil and paper

read the sticky

at this point, that's all that could ever help you
>>
>>3106064
You literally said "im gay lmao yolo" multiple times when posting your shit. Are you autistic? Or do you think people can't recognize your drawings?

>>3106060
Shoulder/neck area doesn't make much sense, arms are too short, legs are completely fucked, her waist.. doesn't make sense, her feet are like that of a rabbit or dog, not sure if intentional.

Please study anatomy and do figures to get better, do your stylization for fun. It's hard to give a proper critique to a cartoon, but it doesn't look fluid, dynamic or proportional.
>>
File: IMG_20170818_180049-01.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170818_180049-01.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
Just added a few filters but still an authentic work of mine. Please lend me some critiques. Would love to read and reflect from them.
>>
>>3106060
>>3106067
Oh wait I thought you were the gay guy replying to me, but yeah your anatomy is still terrible. Go read the sticky.
>>
What do people mean when a certain pose is stiff? What do I need to practice to be able to tell when my shitty drawins suffer from this problem?
>>
>>3106088
Read the big sticky, watch proko's video on gesture, and go hit up quickposes.
>>
>>3106089
See I though I was doing that with my gesture studies I was doing, understanding the curve of the spine and how it flows into the rest of the body.
>>
>>3106091
You're not drawing the spine, you're not drawing the body, you're drawing the action. Just shut up and read the sticky and figure it out, don't bother everyone with stupid questions.
>>
>>3106093
Again, I understand that shit, I know that I not supposed to be drawing contour
>>
>>3106096
Go watch proko's intro to gesture video again, draw along to the timer, compare after it's done and you'll see what you're doing wrong. Never post again please.
>>
>>3106106
Proko, did work for me nigga, I got better grasp with Hamilton, and I'll fucking continue to post unitl I start seen improvements, and you can do shit about it.
>>
>>3106109
>>3106096
>>3106091
>>3106088
not me
>>
>>3105012
need crits
>>
>>3106088
It's pretty self-explanatory. A stiff pose is stiff. It means it looks unnatural because there should be subtle variation in the way parts of the body are shifted so the figure stays balanced physically and visually.
>>
>>3106046
go see a counselor

or go to a church and get some jesus
>>
>>3106125
Put the ref over your drawing, compare. Maybe grow a brain too while you're at it.
>>
>>3106126
Thank you, this makes things more clearly. Balance is something Ill focus more attention when doing my studies.
>>
>>3106128
>Maybe grow a brain too
rephrase your criticism
>>
>>3106132
The reason people tell you to study gesture is because it's integral to understanding balance. Gesture is basically a mapping of a figure's weight and balance in motion so it helps to do a lot of gesture. Later down the line you'll be able to come up with fluid poses from just a few curved lines indicating the character's gesture based on your visual library.
>>
>>3106142
>fee-fees alert

back 2 tumblr, he gave you a piece of advice already
>>
File: portrait exercise.jpg (1022KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
portrait exercise.jpg
1022KB, 2000x2000px
I was trying to follow a Sakimichan tutorial on painting because I really dig that style of painting and unfortunately, it doesn't translate well to CSP's tools. I know it's pretty bad, but it is my first attempt without lineart and all, and still a long way to go. Still, I'm pretty happy so far.
>>
>>3106187
Amazing job for a first attempt. Keep at it, her tutorials last you a lifetime.
>>
>>3106170
let me rephrase since you misunderstood.
what did you mean by your "ur dumb lmao" comment and how might that piece of criticism be further explained. which part of the image posted do you think represents the trait of "soo stupd lol XD" and what would you suggest the potential solution is?
>>
>>3106187
>I was trying to follow a Sakimichan tutorial
dude stop
>>
>>3106187
i know this tutorial, and it looks like you only followed 1/4th of it. she goes on to refine it after the rough stage, yours looks like it needs that.
>>
File: rougethebat.png (83KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
rougethebat.png
83KB, 800x700px
>>3106046
so, I'm the guy who drew this.

Went for a more realistic approach, gonna work on more anatomy and basic human forms now.

any words of criticism are welcome.
>>
/beg/s extra shit today
>>
>>3106142
ok, beginners do not need criticism.
you do not need someone to tell you whether your photo study was wrong, just overlay the photo on top. you do not need to ask whether "x" works better than "y" because everyone learns differently. the most important thing is to draw, always try different things out of your comfort zone, and think about just what it is that you are drawing. while you do so, look for your mistakes. if you, as a beginner, ask for crits, you'll just hear "work on fundamentals," which can be a huge kick to your ego because you DO lack fundamentals. you don't need someone ELSE telling you that you're shit, just finish your study and move on. most people posting their work and asking for "crits" are actually asking for praise. that's not to say that every single post asking for crit is invalid, but the general mindset associated with most posts in /beg/ is "hey I don't know how to think, can you think for me?" which might put some people on the right direction for a little while, but these guys will never make it. you draw with your mind, not your hand, and every beginner should know that and internalize it.
>>
>>3106192
Thanks, I still have plenty to go.

>>3106200
Oh yes, I'm still barely in there, just was really happy how it was turning out for my first time.
>>
>>3106207
>most crits are unneeded
its wrong
>just train fundamentals
there are many and spending your time training the wrong ones is undesirable
>people are asking for praise
im asking for someone to tell me what to practice
>/beg/s are asking for someone to think for them
they are asking for the advice of more experienced or at least more impartial people, and they are correct to do this
>just draw lmao
dumb thing to say because its with incorrect the assumption that not drawing is the alternative to not seeking information
>seeking information is bad
its not
>i hope they notice my "4chan mindset" and think im one of them
leave, crit me before you go though
>>
File: outline.jpg (39KB, 1000x895px) Image search: [Google]
outline.jpg
39KB, 1000x895px
hows this
>>
>>3106213
>being this defensive of crit
NGMI
>>
File: lucius.jpg (983KB, 2911x3880px) Image search: [Google]
lucius.jpg
983KB, 2911x3880px
>>3106215
ref
>>
>>3106207
to add onto this i would say the following are examples of good posts:
-asking for recommendations of resources in studying a certain part of the body
-general questions about materials, how to apply certain effects with "x" tool on "y" medium
-literally any post with "Nosebro" in the name field

bad questions:
-asking for crit on a photo study
-asking for clarification of something extremely basic (ie. 2 point perspective questions)
-asking for crit on your stylized drawing that is very very obviously lacking fundamentals
>>3106213 posters like these who draw less than 4 hours a day
-""""""anime"""""" drawings
>>
>>3106215
What's the point?
>>
>>3106216
>defensive
he didnt even crit me, theres nothing to defend. just tell me what to fucking practice, it snot hard
>>3106218
you too
>>
>>3106147
Thanks Im starting to see where I fucked up in my drawing, in this case the hip and the shoulders being near perpendicular to each other
>>
>>3106220
How about you think for your fucking self you fucking idiot? It's not hard. Just fucking tell yourself what to practice.
>>
>>3106200
Oh and the big issue I'm having is the differences in the brushes, they don't work remotely the same. So far that's what has thrown me for a loop
>>
>>3106220
step 1 before you draw any body in any pose is to get up, do the pose yourself, and draw the gesture until you get the feeling. you messed up step one and your figure isn't even standing in a way that they could balance themself. this is what i mean by /beg/ posts asking for people to think for them. gesture first, then add in your shapes, and then detail. also as a beginner you should start on traditional to build line confidence, which literally nobody in the thread does for some reason which is really really stupid.
>>
>>3106225
DAB is recommended all the time, not that anyone sticks with it long. That's their own fault.
>>
>>3106187
what do you expect people to say? you don't have a good enough grasp on face construction to even attempt this. just look at the eyes. it's fine to draw for fun, but don't air our your turds because they only make you look worse. also flip your canvas every now and then to see your mistakes easily.
>>
>>3106093
Okay go fuck yourself. You're seriously coming to a containment thread, redirecting everyone to the sticky and telling them their questions and concerns are stupid. Its time to cancel your telecom plan.
>>
>>3106225
honestly, whenever people tell people to do fundamentals. It doesn't make any sense.

Like, to understand anatomy and such feels so alien, so odd on how to progress. It's like, copy from life, etc., but it's just not enough.

Theres gotta be a comprehensive way to learn how to draw, and all I've found is way to vague or confusing.
>>
>>3106170
How many cocaines did you inject dude?
>>
>>3106233
>>
>>3106218
Oh it was nosebro all along. That explains it
>>
>>3106232
1. find subject material on what you want to
2. study. draw along to the material (ex. draw all the curved planes from the sinix face tutorial, pause the video, add features bit by bit and detail along with him)
3. do additional work with what you've just learned, try doing more faces on your own or notice where your faces are different from the text or video or whatever
4. draw from imagination, but apply what you've just learned for the day into your doodles
5. repeat, but don't post your turds. just keep em in a folder for digital or in your sketchbook so that when you go back to em in a week, you can compare to YOURSELF and see your improvement, instead of having someone see your shit fundies and tell you NGMI
>>
>>3106215
wtf, this low thought bait got more replies than my actual drawing that was produced?
I thought people liked to critique actual art?
>>
>>3106232
Not gonna fucking make it. I bet you haven't even been drawing for more than a few months.
>>
>>3106239
i'm not nosebro, nosebro wishes he was me.
>>
>>3106244
You'd be surprised how long I've been drawing.

>>3106240
I guess I need to go take a class or something.
The struggle is real.
>>
>>3106229
Thanks, I guess? I don't know what you expected in a beginner thread.
>>
>>3106242
hows my post bait?
>>
>>3106229
>>3106249
That being said I'll fix the eyes
>>
>>3106246
classes are not for everyone. if you can structure yourself and set goals then you can pretty much do fine without them. the biggest thing about art schools is that they give you HOMEWORK, and CRITIQUE, but beginners aren't a level where they are unable to see their own faults. if you want to self study, i suggest making a schedule, giving yourself homework like "I'll draw 'x' photo studies/pages of gestures/whatever today!" you should also setup rewards and consequences associated with the homework to motivate yourself.

>>3106249
1. study facial construction. loomis worked fine for me but there's a lot of options and you can ask around for them.
2. studying simple shapes irl can help you learn values and where to place them
3. while it isn't absolutely REQUIRED, buying a skull and studying that CAN help you get familiar with the planes of the face and lighting in relation to the source of the light
4. some statue studies or other similar things where you focus on learning the planes of the face

it's fine to draw whatever animu grabage that you like but i highly recommend you not to post it. sometimes you spend days polishing a turd and you might be proud of it but it's still a turd. just keep it to yourself, and do your studies. also make sure you draw real faces before you go for stylized, because A LOT of things are different between anime and real faces to the point where learning irl faces translates well to anime, but not the other way around so don't fuck yourself.
>>
>>3105892
going to post some refs because i like when they're here
>>
File: figure-1-1303877010.jpg (50KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
figure-1-1303877010.jpg
50KB, 600x900px
>>3106262
>>
File: 1488586783833.jpg (70KB, 824x566px) Image search: [Google]
1488586783833.jpg
70KB, 824x566px
>>3106263
>>
File: tumblr_m2fkjdkY1E1r0v3zro2_1280.jpg (307KB, 1280x1296px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m2fkjdkY1E1r0v3zro2_1280.jpg
307KB, 1280x1296px
>>3106264
>>
>>3106246

No it's not. You're overthinking it, which is death for beginners. Think of fundamentals as building blocks.

Can you draw boxes and cyllinders comfortably at any angle? If not, you need to study basic perspective.

Can you construct the human form using basic shapes? If not, study anatomy, figure drawing and construction of the human body.

Do your humans look stiff and boring? Study gesture.

Etc. It's all about keeping the ball going and find something to learn that you CAN learn. If you can't into perspective or gesture, don't try to draw people in dynamic poses. Learn what you need to draw what you want.
>>
>>3106263
Is there a reason for this kind of lighting? It seems odd.
>>
File: Carpeaux le Chinoise.jpg (57KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
Carpeaux le Chinoise.jpg
57KB, 736x736px
>>3106267
>>
>>3106267
just wanted to say i think this ref is not very good because the planes on the brow are difficult to make out due to the lighting.
>>
I read the first few chapters of DRSB and I understand the concept of drawing what you're seeing versus symbol drawing but I haven't really practiced much so I'm still terrible. I am taking a drawing class at my local community college this semester. Am I going to embarrass myself? School starts in less than two weeks.
>>
File: 1490687516438.jpg (31KB, 346x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490687516438.jpg
31KB, 346x600px
>>3106269
no i think the lighting is just shitty on that one. i mostly posted it for the pose, i like it. here's another figure with better lighting though
>>
>>3106277

Nah broski. Draw your own hands to practice, and portraits, and just do the exercises in DRSB, don't bother with the theory unless you don't understand the exercises.
>>
>>3106261
What is the purpose of a beginner thread if not to post beginner drawings?

Anyway, thanks for the tips, but it's something I'm already working on. I just wanted to change gears and try out some painting without lineart.
>>
File: human_skull_full_2.jpg (184KB, 441x600px) Image search: [Google]
human_skull_full_2.jpg
184KB, 441x600px
>>3106273
yeah the form of the brow isn't very pronounced, but i think the main use of the ref is to understand the perspective and foreshortening under various angles, which it does quite well imo. here's a proper skull though
>>
>>3106279
Would I be better off doing the exercises from DRSB or Fun with a Pencil?
>>
>>3106280
you can still post it, but i'm just saying that when you do you should expect others to call your drawing shit. you're a beginner, so that's expected, but drawing and grinding fundamentals is really tasking and takes a lot of mental strength. i just think it's bad for your ego to hear negative comments all the time, so it's better for you to keep your drawings to yourself, maybe show your close friends, and focus on improvement. many beginners post something that they're proud of only to be met with harsh, but ultimately fair, criticism and they can't handle it. judging from your posts you are the same type, so don't put yourself in a position where people will just shit all over your work and make you feel bad about it. come into the thread, ask a question, and then leave. /ic/ is used for the resources, not for the community.
>>
>>3106280
People in the beginner thread in general don't like stylization which is why there's a stylization thread. Problem is people cross-thread and so they may tell you to come back here.
>>
>>3106283

DRSB. Don't feel like you need to them all. Keys to Drawing is also a great book with nice exercises. Draw a box also has some nice stuff with basic perspective and construction with simple shapes.
>>
>>3106284
I appreciate the concern, but instead of just saying that you kinda just shit on it. Not that I should have expected any different, I guess I was just so proud of it that I didn't realize quite how bad it was.
>>
>>3106287
>>3106284
Also meant to ask, do you know of any better face construction than Loomis, I found it felt dated and dry. I know study is grueling and
doesn't have to be enjoyable, but slogging through Loomis was like dragging your ass across a cheese grater.
>>
>>3106287
>I guess I was just so proud of it that I didn't realize quite how bad it was.

Welcome to learning a new art. It's ok, once you get good you'll look back on what you thought was decent and laugh at yourself.
>>
>>3106288

P R O K O
R R
O O
K K
O O
>>
>>3106288
hampton is basically just loomis with feature placement
>>
>>3106294
Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton

This book? This Hampton?
>>
>>3106294
>>3106292
>>3106289
Well, thanks guys. I appreciate it. I guess I'll just not bother anymore with this. Not feeling it anymore.
>>
>>3106287
>>3106288
>I was just so proud of it that I didn't realize quite how bad it was.
that is the important thing, you SHOULD be proud of it. but when you post it, as a beginner, you will lose that positive feeling you had and it will affect your motivation.

as for faces, i learned with loomis and IT WORKED ON MY MACHINE, but here's some stuff that might be easier to follow along to

sinix's curved plane faces:
https://youtu.be/QBv5z0Y2odE
proko's simplified loomis:
https://youtu.be/1EPNYWeEf1U
check the artbook thread for anatomy books as well. like I said, loomis worked for me so i don't really have anything to recommend beyond it but i think these other 2 "methods" are pretty easy to do
>>
>>3106297

Np, buddy. If you ever feel tired, take a break and keep on going after with a clear mind. We're all going to make it, bro. Don't let your dreams be memes.
>>
>>3106297
end yourself underman
>>
>>3106297
check the sinix video cunt. it's a super easy way to draw faces (that i personally find kind of inaccurate)
>>
>>3106297
/beg/ killing another one and dragging them down into the bucket.
>>
>>3106302
>>3106300
>>3106299
I meant more the painting, not drawing. But I have been in a rut and >>3106298 is ultimately right, I shouldn't have posted it because I was having fun and enjoying art for the first time in awhile.

The face might be exceptionally bad because I didn't do any under drawing, so there was no construction. Though it's not as if I'm great at faces in the first place, I made the mistake of spending way too long drawing lame furry porn and wanted to branch out and actually improve for once.
I'll work harder and listen to you guys advice, but now I'm sad because I don't even want to spend time finishing this.
>>
>>3106308
>I'll work harder and listen to you guys advice, but now I'm sad because I don't even want to spend time finishing this.
Fucking finish, holy shit. Fuck the fundamentals, it's over for you if you don't have fun and enjoy art.
>>
>>3106308
if you don't shit out turds you're going to be constipated. just put your hand to your tablet, stop thinking too much, and draw. no one's going to tell you to keep going, and you don't need that kind of thing anyway because you LIKE to draw, so draw and get over whatever funk you're in already.
>>
File: luciusdraw.jpg (262KB, 3022x1247px) Image search: [Google]
luciusdraw.jpg
262KB, 3022x1247px
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 2250x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 2250x4000px
I've been drawing and studying for about three months. I'm just wondering if using only a pen isn't good for learning fundamentals. I guess it has stopped me from drawing bad lines without caring about whether there was a better way to draw them as I can just erase and redraw them later...but often times using a pen has a permanent effect on the finished drawing that is unfixable and the whole drawing becomes a waste.
>>
File: 20170820_form_practice.jpg (95KB, 963x945px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_form_practice.jpg
95KB, 963x945px
I'm going to shit up the thread some more.
>>
File: 1small.jpg (339KB, 844x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1small.jpg
339KB, 844x1500px
>>3106362
oh sorry
>>
>>3106362
Whew, I was worried my progress was slow, but I'm around your level after about the same amount of time. Keep it up, we are all going to make it.
>>
what would i need to practice in order to move on from this level >>3106345 ?
>>
>>3106369
id say doing actual fully painted studies with value
>>
>>3106369
All the shit you don't do.
>>
File: top meow.jpg (1MB, 2250x4000px) Image search: [Google]
top meow.jpg
1MB, 2250x4000px
>>3106368
>>3106365
Don't be fooled by this render, here's how I draw without a reference. Should I use references for every drawing for now until I get better?
>>
File: top meow 2.jpg (352KB, 1000x1778px) Image search: [Google]
top meow 2.jpg
352KB, 1000x1778px
>>3106376
fug did it again
>>
>>3106376
These scribbles for shadows are lazy man.
>>
I've skimmed through the entire sticky and practiced every day for months and I still suck at drawing. How long until I can stop being so frustrated that I wanna tear out my pubes and cry?
>>
>>3106385
When you continue to practice to get better.
>>
>>3106362
i've been studying for 1 and a half and i'm better than you at anatomy, line quality, construction, gesture, and probably a few more. i think you're about where i was somewhere in my first month, but i'm drawing at least 4 hours a day. i think you need gestures in your life. in my first month i did 20 2 min gestures a day and now i do 60 gestures total daily at varied times. also the whole point of drawing in pen is LONG STROKES, not chicken scratching.
>>
>>3106270
That's very beautiful.

>>3106345
That's a good start. The perspective is off, the corners of the mouth don't allign with the eyebrows or eyes. The eye that is closer to us looks smaller than the other when it should be the other way around. not enough planes in the eyes and mouth which look flat. Try to break the planes like you did in the nose area.

>>3106362
It's a good thing you didn't shy away from the head and hands. the pen is a double edged sword because it's a lot harder to control than a pencil but it can teach you to be more deliberate about your lines. Appart from the torso being too long the proportions aren't too bad. I suggest you work on making more consistent hatching for the shaded areas. Something more homogeneous.

>>3106363
The form is alright. You seem to constantly go twice over the same line so be carefull not to get that habit.
>>
>>3106385
having feedback is arguably the very best thing that can help you improve so post your studies.
>>
>>3106046
give up
>>
>>3106218
t-thanks
>>3106245
I've gotten used to being me, alter-ego.
>>
What way do you suggest doing gesture drawings? Are there other ways to do it besides Proko's method?
>>
>>3106420
I want to know this too, like how the fuck do you actually do it. I already watched the proko video and read some of the beginning of hampton and still have no idea how to make gesture lines without drawing the outline itself
>>
>>3106431
draw along to proko's video on gesture, see where you're different.
>>
wtf is up with people using a graphic tablet?
can't you just pick up a piece of paper and a pencil? du you really need a fucking softwere to correct your shitty lines and an undo button?
>>
>>3106443
wtf is up with people using paper and pencil
can't you just pick up a piece of rock and a sharper rock? du you really need a fucking tree to connect your shitty lines and an eraser?
>>
>>3106443
traditional is too hard.
>>
File: 20170820_055640-1.jpg (2MB, 1252x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_055640-1.jpg
2MB, 1252x3264px
Any anatomy issues so far?
>>
File: New Canvas.jpg (347KB, 3507x2480px) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas.jpg
347KB, 3507x2480px
I'm struggling with the left hand posture.
>>
Is this the right place to ask about my bob ross style oil paintings? dont really know where else to ask
>>
>>3106455
Well, one issue is not knowing anatomy. Another one is not knowing proportions. The neck is too think and connects to the wrong place, the ear is too small, the right arm is too thin. I suggest you start sketching gestures and quick poses every day, first draw several poses from reference, then draw some similar poses from imagination, then some completely from imagination. Then if you can, find similar refs to the ones you drew and see what you did wrong. Alternaively, study a ref, close it and draw a gesture from memory.

>>3106466
Same advice to you. Study the boobs, the neck, the head and the arms. As for the left hand, what was your idea for it? Also, remember that it should be foreshortened, look at the sword, it's in the smae perspective, yet the hands are the same size in your sketch.
>>
>>3106494
I already fixed most of those (besides the ear, this look better?) in the time between me posting and now. The right hand is really more of a posing issue, I can't really think of a natural way to flow the arms. I tried looking through a few refs but I can't seem to find any that fit.

What I was doing was quickly drawing one arm and seeing how to make the other arm interact with it, although I think I'll make her hold a scepter from the game I'm referencing.
>>
File: JPEG_20170820_073015~2.jpg (114KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170820_073015~2.jpg
114KB, 960x960px
Am I doing this facial construction right?
>>
File: ref.jpg (165KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ref.jpg
165KB, 1920x1080px
>>3106500
>>
File: IMG_1118.jpg (104KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1118.jpg
104KB, 500x354px
>>3106345
>>
File: IMG_20170820_191426.jpg (375KB, 1222x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_191426.jpg
375KB, 1222x1000px
Dumping stuff I've done this past few days.
>>
File: IMG_20170820_191607.jpg (442KB, 1417x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_191607.jpg
442KB, 1417x1000px
>>3106506
>>
File: IMG_20170820_191652.jpg (383KB, 1287x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_191652.jpg
383KB, 1287x1000px
>>3106506
That's all for now but I still have others. Don't want to spam. Anyways 1 and 3rd pics are from imagination.
>>
File: New Canvdssdsdcigarette.png (312KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
New Canvdssdsdcigarette.png
312KB, 800x1000px
Perspective is fucked
>>
>>3106453
That is literally sculpture you dumb fuck, if i where able or i i had the means to sculpt a statue i would
>>
>>3106509
I'd say that you are getting somewhere but try to put emotion in the gestures, like try to think a reason why they find themselves in that pose
>>
>>3106514
I can't tell whether you missed his point because you're retarded or pretend to because you're autistic.

People go digital because it's more convenient than paper and pencil, the same way people invented paper and pencil to draw instead of carving text and drawings into literal stone. And now the important part: carving as in carving in letters and lines, not sculpting.
>>
File: IMG_20170820_191758.jpg (455KB, 1387x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_191758.jpg
455KB, 1387x1000px
>>3106515
Thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind when I draw.

I was feeling burnt out by doing just studies, so I made some random doodles. They're scratchy and messy I know.
>>
>>3106518
Digital only hides your mistakes you simply can't learn on a tablet, on a phisycal medium every line is a commitement and you can't simply go back and forth thanks to the undo, i heard what you are trying to say way too many times back in design school guess who now has a degree and who is still drowing shitty logos on their pc whitout ever managing to end even one work?
>>
File: ss+(2017-08-20+at+09.41.14).png (91KB, 392x778px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-08-20+at+09.41.14).png
91KB, 392x778px
feel like something is off with the upper back or shoulders/arms but i'm not sure what it is
>>
File: JPEG_20170820_081617~2.jpg (135KB, 899x899px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170820_081617~2.jpg
135KB, 899x899px
How do I shade without it looking like scribbly shit?
>>
File: 'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU0001.jpg (3MB, 2063x3095px) Image search: [Google]
'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU0001.jpg
3MB, 2063x3095px
>>3106525
Look at the pose, that's one of the prime example of gesture, it really tells a story
If you feel burnt out look at the gesture in classical art and how it conveys a message, a n entire story trough the pose
>>
>>3106532
Look at the shadow in the real world, they adapt to the volume they cover, the neck in your drowing is just flat
>>
>>3106531
Feel like something is off with you
>>
>>3106534
Do you mean I should scribble along the neck shape?
>>
>shitty fetish art
>tons of likes

>serious portrait study
>nobody likes it

What's the point of fundamental studies if nobody even likes them?
>>
>>3106494
I'm trying to make something like this, but with the perspective is more to the front of the character torso.
>>
>>3106538
I mean you should drow the volume of the neck beneath and then buil upon it, layering where its darker
>>
>>3106543
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?
>>
>>3106544
You see how it's not just a flat surface but instead retains the volume of of the neck beneath?
>>
File: v2 copy.jpg (121KB, 665x805px) Image search: [Google]
v2 copy.jpg
121KB, 665x805px
Any advice before I start polishing this turd?
>>
File: IMG_20170820_191850.jpg (411KB, 1351x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_191850.jpg
411KB, 1351x1000px
>>3106533
So when doing gestures, I should also take into account the emotion behind the pose and not just the flow?
>>
>>3106550
The emotion is the flow, you are not creating ink spots you are drowing living breathing being
Or just do whatever you feel will improve you art
>>
>>3106503
what?
>>
>>3106532
lips look good
>>
>>3106556
stop saying drowing you cuck
>>
File: IMG_20170820_191928.jpg (498KB, 1488x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_191928.jpg
498KB, 1488x1000px
>>3106556
I think I get it. If not then hopefully somewhere down the line I'll get it.
>>
>>3106560
Yep m8 my bad grammar is a good giveaway of the fact that i anjoy watching my girlfriend getting fucked by another man, sorry for you i never even had one
>>
>>3106547
Don't.
>>
File: IMG_20170820_192014.jpg (438KB, 1385x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_192014.jpg
438KB, 1385x1000px
>>3106506
2nd to the last pic. Hope I'm not posting too much.
>>
>>3106575
So, what exactly is wrong with it?
>>
>>3106506
>>3106507
>>3106550
Are these from reference?
>>
File: harly.png (289KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
harly.png
289KB, 800x1000px
>>
File: IMG_20170820_192024.jpg (379KB, 1240x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_192024.jpg
379KB, 1240x1000px
>>3106586
These 3 are the only ones from imagination. The rest are from reference.
>>3106506
>>3106525
>>3106509
>>
>>3106466

You're struggling with more than that, your gesture is very stiff, and proportions are way off. You should be doing many figure drawings to practice, not spend a lot of time on one. You improve very little that way
>>
>>3106602
certainly very interesting, reminds me of bosch kinda figures actually, or medieval figures in general
>>
File: Diana Ch1.png (211KB, 434x730px) Image search: [Google]
Diana Ch1.png
211KB, 434x730px
Posting here at first time

Rate my work
>>
>>3106215
>>3106217

overlay you outline onto the original image because it is way out. You didn't even draw the neck.
>>
>>3106649
I rate it 4 fingers out of 5.
>>
>>3106670

Id say 4 out of 10.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170820-115503.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170820-115503.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
I decided to draw some things around the house today. I think the pantry door is kind of alright, but the cup stumped me when it came to the values.

Guys, I'm really at a loss for how to draw translucent objects, is there any reading material or videos I can watch to help?

I drew the sphere afterwards just to confirm to myself I understood what i was even doing.
>>
>>3106717
By the way, I used hatching because I don't have access to my regular art pencils right now, all I have is an 0.7 mechanical pencil.
>>
>>
>>3106717
The thing with translucent objects is that they are see through. They have a distorted view of what's behind them and reflections of light. The more Information sketched the closer to verisimilitude the end drawing will be.
>>
How the fuck do I gesture draw, should I be using minimal lines like proko or can I do squiggly lines like sycra
>>
>>3106751
There's no rules. Just do it.
>>
>>3106503
>picture of Bog brother

They knew
>>
>>3106565
it is spelling not grammar you literal retard, and one of the most used words in this entire community. have you not seen this words enough times to know how to spell it you dyslexic fuck
>>
>>3106384
oh ok
>>3106391
>4 hours a day
maybe I should retract my 'drawing and studying' statement . I draw by reference maybe once or twice a week, and doodle a bit more often with tutorials/charts in the background. It'll take me a bit longer to get where you are at my pace. I'm not considering art as a profession, I just find it fun and useful at times. Maybe I'll start drawing at least 1-2 hours a day. thanks for the advice.
>>3106399
yeah thanks. I'm used to shading with pencil which made it easy for me to overblend...now I'm trying to make sure my values are right but I totally disregarded line quality and consistent hatching.
>>
File: humble-lemon.jpg (398KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
humble-lemon.jpg
398KB, 1920x1080px
My anatomy is still a bit off and i rely on symbol drawing but thoughts on my colour? Anything to make it pop more?
>>
>>3106540
The paradox of /beg/ is that the only people that post in /beg/ are beginners, making actual critique impossible. That's why most comments are just "grind fundies and stop posting" or "really good, I like it a lot".

/beg/ isn't a helpful beginner community, it's a snappy containment thread so that the actual artists on /ic/ don't have to answer questions from beginners.
>>
>>3106870
People might shit on you for Loomis/symbol drawing etc. but you made something funny that made me smile. I hope you keep it up
>>
>>3106876
Mah nigga
>>
File: 20170820_143023.jpg (112KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_143023.jpg
112KB, 600x800px
am i allowed to do the quick figure drawing thing? do i have to do something else first?
>>
File: short-haircuts-28.jpg (64KB, 571x800px) Image search: [Google]
short-haircuts-28.jpg
64KB, 571x800px
>>3106884
>>
>>3106872
>implying no one ever posts useful critique in these threads
>implying youre not so far gone your meme brain actually told you "yeah no one does" reading that first sentence
You might want to take a break
>>
>>3106884
No. Learn construction, anatomy, line confidence, line control, perspective, values, shading, and gesture before you start on faces. You're not nearly ready yet. Maybe in a few weeks or months.
>>
>>3105892
I've been off drawing for two weeks because of irl interferences, and now I'm looking to get back into it (and dreading the sight of how many gains I've lost since then). I was lost before, and I'm still rather unsure of how to continue.

I'm still trying to go through Keys to Drawing, but it feels like I still don't have those fine motor skills to properly draw. I try and use shoulder drawing and proportions and shit in Chapter 3, but it's hard just to make my hand go where I want it to. I'd been grinding Draw a Box lines for a while, but those only (barely) help with lines. Is this just something that gets better over time, or is there more specialized practice? I've had cancerous handwriting for all my life but it's genuinely starting to bite me in the ass.
>>
>>3106887
I didn't say faces. I actually hate drawing faces. You said gesture, that means I can do the 2 minute drawing thing right?
>>
>>3106884
>>3106887

That is objectively untrue. Drawing what you see is one of if not the first skill that artists should learn, if not simultaneously with construction and other drawing from imagination skills. It is absolutely key to learning how to study shading and anatomy.

I recommend said anon goes through Keys to Drawing (the whole damn thing) first to get a good grasp on drawing what you see.
>>
File: 20170820_195316-1.jpg (386KB, 675x969px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_195316-1.jpg
386KB, 675x969px
Another pass at it
>>
>>3106500
Not bad. I think it needs a little more cranium on the back of the head. That's often the issue when starting with a sphere.

>>3106507
That's the right approach but you seem to struggle more when adding details >>3106525
The stuff you learned from your studies should be more in evidence in these (rib cage, pelvis)
>>3106550
Those are quite nice, the one on the right is kinda hard to read. I suggest you give hints of the ground plane because right now it's not very clear of the figure is balanced and the feet are not in the same perspective.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1605x1162px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1605x1162px
>>3106870
>>
File: JPEG_20170820_150907.jpg (133KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170820_150907.jpg
133KB, 960x1280px
>>3106885
Gonna add some values I guess. How do I draw hair?
>>
>>3106870
learn ho to eye
>>
>>3106927
You could use a 4h or 2h pencil or maybe charcoal. Often in painting hair is depicted in large strands. In pen and ink maybe just a few descriptive strokes and a weak wash. I'd probably use a 2b then lick my finger and smudge it.
>>
>>3106547
I think this is one of those rare cases where the legs are drawn too long. If you aren't looking from below, the crotch line should be close to or a bit below the center. Also, the perspective isn't consistent at the left thigh/hip area, as the rest of the body is seen from above, but it appears the left thigh is seen from below. The perspective of the torso near the left armpit and the rest of the torso doesn't look consistent either, making me question whether I'm looking at a mostly direct forward angle or if I'm looking more to the side. I'd make that line a little more vertical. The arms are a little skinny but they probably look wrong mostly because of the aforementioned leg perspective issues making them look really short in comparison. In short, you proportions are ok but you need to work on perspective.
>>
Im stuck on loomis. I didnt have any issues with the previous lessons but once I got to this page it became way too advanced. Ive never drawn before. Is this really the easiest book?
>>
>>3107027
>loomis shows you how to make furry art

Literally wut?
>>
File: yorda.png (690KB, 1000x1304px) Image search: [Google]
yorda.png
690KB, 1000x1304px
Hi, I'm new here and making the transition to digital art.

I'm getting somewhat frustrated because I'm not sure how to turn my linework into a really nice painting, it's my weakness.

I only have SAI and a cheap tablet with no pressure sensitivity. I've been using the watercolor tool to blur my lineart to make the art a bit more realistic. With this piece I wanted the wipsy look of Yorda's (ICO) dress but I made it all blurry. I have lazy anatomy here because I was determined to "complete " a piece instead of drawing , painting half way and just starting another

Basically I have no idea of the best way to paint in the semi / realistic style i want. Feel like a baby just learning to use these digital art programs. I know practice will make me better but I figured I'd try to get some tips
>>
>>3107057
He was the greatest furry artist of his time
>>
>>3106278
Hnnnnnnnng
>>
>>3106887
>you need to learn value and shading before you can draw X

what are line drawings
>>
>>3106888
the bullshit thing is drawing with your shoulder is a gross motor activity, so you essentially start with no baseline muscle memory following that advice. I only use drawing from the shoulder for gesture since you have to do it smoothly, for eveything else I prefer the wrist or elbow and basically this board is fucking stupid.
>>
>>3107077
you have too draw everything smoothly tho
>>
File: practice.png (90KB, 297x284px) Image search: [Google]
practice.png
90KB, 297x284px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
File: eyes.jpg (180KB, 1026x804px) Image search: [Google]
eyes.jpg
180KB, 1026x804px
Been studying the eye and how it fits in the face. Can I get any critiques here? I know my shading is shit, I'm more concerned about the the anatomy and structure.

Am I doing something wrong?
>>
File: eyeyeyes.jpg (208KB, 827x1159px) Image search: [Google]
eyeyeyes.jpg
208KB, 827x1159px
>>3107089

Here's a bunch of eyes drawn from imagination, focusing on the 3/4 angle since it's been giving me some trouble to darw it without reference.

Thoughts? Any critique helps.
>>
>>3107092
I like the derpy face
>>
please go back to posting references OP i miss them so
>>
>>3107096
quickposes.com

u are welcome
>>
>>3107002
Thanks, that's a very good reply.
>>
File: ms paint doooodle.png (27KB, 1326x842px) Image search: [Google]
ms paint doooodle.png
27KB, 1326x842px
Who else here /mspaint/ doodle?
>>
>>3107154
this is unironically very good. do you have prior art experience?
>>
>>3106443
Art, the output, what you share, matters.
The tool is just a tool.
Plus, if graphic tablets offer some advantages, someone that doesn't know how to draw on paper will still suck anyway.
Most importantly, why are you so mad?
>>
>>3106511
Try and pose + take a pic to see how the perspective should be?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170820-190707.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170820-190707.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Is this character design shit?
>>
File: Cozy Boeby Final.png (32KB, 797x871px) Image search: [Google]
Cozy Boeby Final.png
32KB, 797x871px
>>3107159
I haven't been doing this long at all, but I do have a drawing tablet so that's probably why it looks """good""" for ms paint. Pic related is something I made with a mouse, it took hours.
>>
>>3107174
Yes. That is, it would be if there was any design to it.
>>
>>3105981
No help for this?
>>
>>3107189
What can I do to make it better?
>>
Which hand is better/worse?

Are they both shit?
>>
>>3107226
Her left hands pinky looks a bit flatter and makes the whole hand look flat.
>>
>>3107252
Hmm ok... do the rest of the left fingers look ok?

I started with the right and the fingers looked kind of bubble to me so for the left I tried to make them more slender looking but to be honest I'm not sure which is better.
>>
>>3107260

Find a photo ref or use your own hand in front of a mirror. You don't have to figure it out the hard way. If you don't know how things work or how to make it look the way you want it to. Use ref.

Draw a bunch of hand, analyze. Pretty much update your visual library with new information.
>>
>>3107262
ok
>>
File: McLegend resize.png (573KB, 760x760px) Image search: [Google]
McLegend resize.png
573KB, 760x760px
can i get some critique also some good lighting advice
>>
>>3107346
looks like neo from counter strike
>>
fuck drawing, hate that shit. wasted so much time and I'm no fucking better than the first day I tried. I wish I was dead
>>
>>3107358
Maybe try a different approach, read different books. I think if you really wanted to draw quitting now will become a regret later when you start again.

[spoiler] or just give up [/spoiler]
>>
File: 20170820_194642-756x1008.jpg (99KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_194642-756x1008.jpg
99KB, 756x1008px
Trying this again because I feel like I've been doing them wrong.
>>
>>3107358
imagine being this guy
>>
>>3107367
imagine being a week 5 crybaby? i used to be like him

after the initial hump you start to respect how much it takes to improve and become a little more humble, he just needs some time
>>
File: kunoichi.jpg (77KB, 473x918px) Image search: [Google]
kunoichi.jpg
77KB, 473x918px
Experimenting with shapes and simplifying rendering.
>>
What is loomis?
>>
>>3107389
Known commonly as jequirity, crab's eye, rosary pea, 'John Crow' bead, precatory bean, Indian licorice, akar saga, giddee giddee, jumbie bead, ruti, and weather plant. The attractive seeds (usually about the size of a ladybug, glossy red with one black dot) contain abrin, a ribosome-inactivating protein related to ricin, and very potent. Symptoms of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, convulsions, liver failure, and death, usually after several days. Ingesting a single seed can kill an adult human. The seeds have been used as beads in jewelry, which is dangerous; inhaled dust is toxic and pinpricks can be fatal. The seeds are unfortunately attractive to children.
>>
I tried doing actual lips and eyes, I think it came out well.
>>
>>3107174
Is...this guy...picking his nose with a bottle?
>>
>>3107058
eraser tool, just sculpt the shapes in the way yoi want them to look, or back into the lines
>>
>>3107174
did you try not being Tumblr
>>
File: eyescross.jpg (66KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
eyescross.jpg
66KB, 450x400px
Week 4-ish.

Been studying eyes for three days now. I think I'm getting the hang of it but I'm drawing them too big.

Any critique? I'm paranoid I'm not noticing things I should correct.

Left eye is all fucked up, Messed up the eyelashes, messed up the amount of the top lid visible.
I can't shade, haven't studied value fundies yet.

Any critiq helps. Much love.
>>
>>3107436
Eyebrows aren't aligned, pupils looking in wrong direction. And as you said, you don't have any values, why not do them? It's now or never right? Like the shade under her right eye. It looks like someone cut her with a razor. It's not well spread. And her left eyebrow is smaller than the right one.
>>
>>3107439

I'm being autistic and trying to learn the face anatomy and structure before learning how to shade. I'm at the eyes so far, was thinking about moving onto the nose next but I might learn some basic shading on the side while I'm at it. Thanks.
>>
File: paint.jpg (55KB, 921x1000px) Image search: [Google]
paint.jpg
55KB, 921x1000px
is this the right idea? the right track?
>>
>>3107442
Looks like liquid on a flat surface.
>>
>>3107440
You can learn face structure and shading at the same time. You can even try whole faces to see how they connect. When you shade something, your not necessarily trying to get it perfect, your doing what painters do by "shape" drawing. Also, start off super light so that you can try to plot out where the features should go and approximate size and angle before actually detailing them.

Keep it up
>>
File: JPEG_20170821_023042-2.jpg (73KB, 746x746px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170821_023042-2.jpg
73KB, 746x746px
I'm literally going to start cutting my wrists again. I haven't improved at all, after fucking MONTHS of every day practice. I tried to construct this face but it turned to shit. This is unacceptable. Fucking hell I hate drawing so goddamn much. I wish I had literally anything else going on in my life. I deserve to die.
>>
>>3107463
tahts what happens when you fall for the line meme instead of working in values

cry less
>>
>>3107465
I'm trying to get the outline (and a few details) before applying values.

Fuck I hate myself. My life is a joke. I'm a joke. Drawing isn't for me. I need to kill myself
>>
>>3107463
>>3107466
Mind telling us your regime? Maybe you're doing something wrong if you haven't improved at all in months. That's just not possible if you're doing things right. Even /beg/ can help with that.
>>
>>3105892
How could is the OP image from a scale of absolute beginner to experienced beginner? It looks about right, but it could be more smoother in the transitions right?
>>
>>3107469
>doodle mindlessly like a retard for about an hour a day for months
>avoid simple studies because I can't concentrate on them

Yep, drawing isn't for me. I've just been wasting my time.
>>
>>3107472
it's like day 2, like the op has read about the fundamentals and looked at some good pictures, maybe even done betty edwards, but they haven't yet learned how to apply any of that.
>>
The only thing I should be drawing is lines down my wrist with a razor.
>>
>>3107478
>>3107466
>>3107463
Is this a troll? I'm mean seriously, that's ssuper edgelord right there. If you don't like drawing don't draw, write poems about how much life sux and atuff.
>>
>>3107475
Day 2? I'm a month in and I don't think I can draw like that. I can draw boxes though.
Should I sudoku?
>>
I'd like you to give it to me straight, no board memes
IS loomis helpful?
>>
>>3107485
i mean day 2 as in like 'second level of beginner' i guess, perhaps it's not as common a phrase as i thought
>>
>>3107486
Yes.
>>
>>3107488
How so? every pdf is like 200 pages and it feels like it'd be a real slog to study them all or know what order to study them in
>>
>>3107489
It contains knowledge you may or may not have known before. That's about as helpful as it gets with books. Studying is always a slog, so the only things you can do are complain about it and never improve or just do it and get better. I'll even give you the books in an order to study.

>Fun With A Pencil
>Drawing the Heads and Hands
>Figure Drawing For All It's Worth
>Successful Drawing
>Creative Illustration
>Eye of the Painter

Make sure to flip through them and get and overview. Don't just look and copy, read the book too. Take your time and don't rush. Do make sure you clearly understand a chapter and have done the practices to a pretty okay level before moving on.
>>
>>3107494
huh, I thought figure drawing would be first.
I haven't exactly drawn with a pencil since when I was super young.
>>
just dug out Noah bradley's art camp 2, never did the whole thing. feels like ive gone backwards, its been like 2 years since i did anything serious. gonna try and do 4 of these a day for a week don't feel like im learning :(
>>
>>3107511
What's different from art camp 1 that you're not doing that one instead?
>>
>>3107497
Figure drawing's hard as fuck man, I tried that first without nailing basic construction and I got fucked in the ass hard. (Did the feel the form meme and while some shit I pumped out looked OK I actually understood nothing about the underlying anatomy)

CONSTRUCTION ALWAYS WILL COME FIRST
>>
>>3107525
Gesture > rest
>>
>>3107525
Alright.
Really hope this applies to tablets.
>>
at what point is someone good enough to leave this thread and post on the regular threads?
>>
>>3107532
ill tell you.
>>
>>3106528
Paper only hides your mistakes you simply can't learn on paper, on a rocky medium every line is a commitement and you can't simply go back and forth thanks to the eraser, i heard what you are trying to say way too many times back in design school guess who now has a degree and who is still drowing shitty logos on their paper without ever managing to end even one rock?
>>
File: figures1.jpg (225KB, 1403x992px) Image search: [Google]
figures1.jpg
225KB, 1403x992px
>>3107533
Alright, how's this
>>
File: 821172.png (752KB, 1000x440px) Image search: [Google]
821172.png
752KB, 1000x440px
Trying to paint a bit more.
>>
>>3107515
well, when 2 came out I remember him saying that it doesn't matter which one you do first. I only own art camp 2 so that's the one i'm doing first
>>
>>3107536
no
>>
>>3107542
okay, what's wrong with it
>>
File: Capture.png (223KB, 949x689px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
223KB, 949x689px
>>3107543
a ton of stuff, its too much for me to go over. but youre not using construction which leads to weak points and broken bones.
>>
>>3107547
>a ton of stuff, its too much for me to go over.

Not to be rude but that's not very helpful
>>
>>3107549
nosebro is just a troll, dont listen to him
>>
>>3107543
it's not finished
>>
>>3107543
its the sycra style of ignoring construction and form and covering it up with stylistic straight edges and non realistic half measures. a lot of the shapes are simply wrong, for example right's shoulders, the breasts, middles lower legs, left's hands. its bad because you didnt use any/much construction.
>>
>>3107442
need answer
>>
>>3107558
Could you define what construction actually is? What should I have done?
>>
>>3107560
build it out of boxes
>>
>>3107561
and build those boxes out of squares
>>
>>3107549
i redlined many features and pointed out many others, what else did you want? full legit red on 3 charas?
>>3107550
if that makes you feel better about yourself.
>>
>>3107563
and build those squares out of lines
>>
>>3107564
Well I would have appreciated something better than

>this drawing is all kinds of fucked up but I'm not going to tell you them lol
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (3KB, 150x32px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
3KB, 150x32px
>>3107567
THERES AN IMAGE ATTACHED TO IT.
If you want ill spend a full 10 minutes talking to you through discord and you can cry in my ear.
>>
>>3107570
No thanks, you sound like an abrasive dick.
>>
>>3107572
im as abrasive as i am helpful and as you are wrong in your complaints.
>>
>>3107573
Well to be honest I would have taken up your discord offer if it wasn't 6 in the morning.
>>
>>3107539
Looks like the threads dead and I don't wanna repost this in the new one. If anyone's lurking could I just get a quick crit? Like if anything seems way off to you or stuff I should be working on?
>>
>>3107575
ill be on discord during the eclipse, i dont open my door.
>>
>>3107576
theres nothing to crit, you made a conservative drawing where no mistakes can be made:
No folds on clothing, no form on frog, background is a random pile of orange, etc.

What do you want crit on? Everything could be improved if you went the extra step.
>>
>>3106506
these are very nice!
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 76

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.