[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DRAW THREAD:

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 106

File: Draw THREAD.jpg (363KB, 781x539px) Image search: [Google]
Draw THREAD.jpg
363KB, 781x539px
The I'm Too Lazy to Sift Through the Pictures from the Last Drawthread Because I Already Had this Picture Made From Months Ago But Never Got a Chance to Use It for a New DRAW THREAD Because Some Other Fucker Took up the Slack on Creating DRAW THREADs Edition

Previous thread >>2886570

Post your current drawing here and provide helpful criticism and advice to others!

Please make sure your posted image is clear, DOWNSIZED TO AROUND 1000 PIXELS WIDE, ROTATED TO THE CORRECT ORIENTATION, and that any unused space is cropped.
If you want critique on a drawing from the previous thread, you can delete it there and repost it.
>dA /ic/ group :
>http://4chan-ic.deviantart.com
>/ic/ Resources/Reference/Downloads/Links:
>>General resources :
>http://sites.google.com/site/4chanic/ >http://sites.google.com/site/artandwhatnot/
>http://characterdesigns.com/
>http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3.html
>http://finaltrinity.tumblr.com/post/13163064364/art-references-tumblr-accounts
>>fellowBro's books :
>http://mediafire.com/?i44dwzkf9j9n8
>>more gay ass books:
>>Figure Drawing Tool:
>http://pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
>http://posemaniacs.com/
>>Photoshop Brushes
>http://cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/tower_of_evilzz
>>
>>2896383
So Brian is gone now?
>>
>>2896384
What?

Was Brian making the previous draw threads?
>>
>>2896396
He should have been the one unless someone replaced him too.
>>
File: The Stilted Ram.jpg (3MB, 4200x5400px) Image search: [Google]
The Stilted Ram.jpg
3MB, 4200x5400px
This is something I'm working on. It's supposed to be a spooky story about a mystical giant ram. The scene shows it in the middle of a victorian square and nobody seems to notice it, like it's not there. In the foreground and maybe around the periphery there will be children in night gowns/clothes all walking toward the center.
Pls give me validation that it's not shit.
>>
File: The Stilted Ram.jpg (440KB, 1120x1440px) Image search: [Google]
The Stilted Ram.jpg
440KB, 1120x1440px
>>2896399
Oh fuck it's huge
>>
File: The Stilted Ram.jpg (230KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
The Stilted Ram.jpg
230KB, 700x900px
>>2896400
FUCKing christ
>>
File: 1474292748357.jpg (103KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1474292748357.jpg
103KB, 785x757px
>>2896399
>>2896400
>>2896402
>>
File: march-12-2017.jpg (683KB, 1000x799px) Image search: [Google]
march-12-2017.jpg
683KB, 1000x799px
working on this. trying to make a good color field abstract painting
>>
>>2896407
Sorry I didn't know how to delete posts. Now I do but it's too late apparently.
>>
File: yy.jpg (195KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
yy.jpg
195KB, 1024x1024px
>>2896402
First day?

It'd be nice to see you keep this image simple, not much in the way of texture so its just a really strong and easy read. Right hand side might be missing something in the foreground though.
>>
File: skullz.jpg (292KB, 959x741px) Image search: [Google]
skullz.jpg
292KB, 959x741px
>>2896442
thats cool af. something wrong goin on with second horses rear end tho? (the one closer to us)

skulls from last thread, it passed away shorty after i posted
>>
>>2896518
Wow seriously impressive hatching
You look like you know exactly where to place them and make the form read
I'm trying to learn how to do that, I assume it's just a result of experience at this point?
>>
>>2896526
Thank you! Well yeah, id guess experiance. observation. Started playing with pen&ink about a year ago, prior to that i mostly used pencil or charcoal. But you probably could get there faster than a year, depending on your initial skill level- i wasnt very.. consistent 1st half of 2016
>>
Well senpaitachi?
>>
File: IMG_1748.jpg (108KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1748.jpg
108KB, 640x1136px
any advice to make this better much appreciated
>>
File: organs.jpg (314KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
organs.jpg
314KB, 700x990px
first time drawing organs
>>
>>2896526
>>2896535
samefag anybody with a working brain can see how bad that hatching is
>>
>>2896689
free-hand practice, dude. and no, i did not samefag my own post. Got anything constructive to say about it, or are you just farting with your mouth?
>>
File: checkkk.png (193KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
checkkk.png
193KB, 1000x1000px
>>2896402
Very much enjoying this composition, even the values look fine for this stage, hope i get to see it finished.
>>2896518
The jaw on the right one seems to large for the head, also, the hatching looks very automatic, try following the flow and shape of the object, it makes it look a lot more organic and natural.
>>2896610
Very nice, the only thing i'd change is some of the value of the lines (if you were keeping it as lineart, if you're going to color it over, this is quite alright)
>>2896684
They almost look like a sticker on top of the torso, i'd add some more contrast around it to make it look like one form.

Also, thoughts on my piece? It kind of looks too plastic for now i think. First hour of work.
>>
File: Possibly not gonna make it.jpg (312KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Possibly not gonna make it.jpg
312KB, 1000x1333px
>>2896383
Help, I am stuck on the fact that I can't get the eyes spaced properly, nor can I draw weeb animal ears
>>
>>2896752
A word of advice since i see you're a beginner:
Run as far as you can from anime being the first thing you learn how to draw. Chances are you'll probably move on from the style and it'll be seriously hard to do that cause you're used to shitty anime proportions. Go for a realistic human face first, breaking the rules is much easier than learning them all over.
>>
File: igor-sid-56-8.jpg (93KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
igor-sid-56-8.jpg
93KB, 1080x1920px
>>2896684
Needs more contrast in general not just in terms of light and dark but in color and saturation.

If you look at pictures of organs they aren't all one color, there are greys up against reds and purples and blues. Add some color variation. Be subtle about it though. When in doubt just toss in some very de saturated colors and you'll find it adds a lot of depth and variation with little effort.

Also you've got some pillow shading going on on his chest, doesn't look too swell. Have a look at pic related for lighting inspo.
>>
>>2896735

I'm >>2896610

Thanks for the tip.
I'm going to color it yes. The thing that is rubbing me the wrong way now, is the head size. I think it is a bit too big, not sure.

Going to fix it
>>
>>2896769
Hm, i think this depends on the personality of the character you're drawing. The head didn't look big until you pointed it out, so i think you could get away with it if you're drawing a younger/innocent/cute character. If not, you could probably downsize.
>>
>>2896761
gross
>>
>>2896772

Maybe I'm being too picky with it. It is suppose to be a young character. I'm gonna leave it the way it is.
I showed that pic to other people and no one mentioned that the head was a bit too big.

Thanks for the help.
Got any page with your work that I can follow?
>>
>>2896790
I'm on IG, helenaxya
>>
>>2896761
looks like bruce jenner
>>
>>2896754

To add to this: Think about it like saving a .jpg.

"Anime" style is already a reduction from reality, with specific aesthetic choices made. You're now going from that already reduced idea, using it as a starting point, and then going to end up further reducing it since you can't actually draw well yet.

And even if you do "git gud" the best you can ever do is whatever anime style you decided to cop from.

Basically you gonna end up like Hank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos
>>
>>2896442
Fuck i love this
it looks like something out of a graphic novel
>>
>>2896854
Its by Yoshinari Yoh, It was meant to serve as a similar example to the other artists image.
>>
>>2896857
oh ok thank you. I thought you did it.
That's the Trigger guy right?
>>
>>2896857
How do you even get as good as Yoshinari Yoh? Is it even possible? How did he do it?
>>
>>2896857
it's drawn by Takafumi Hori if i'm correct
>>
>>2896878
You are correct and I hesitated to post because of that. I've tried to find that image on danbooru before by searching Yoshinaris name ... I should have known. Thanks.
>>
>>2896873
study,study and study

remember to have fun doing it
>>
File: morninginthecity.jpg (218KB, 842x1225px) Image search: [Google]
morninginthecity.jpg
218KB, 842x1225px
few ~25min sketches done a morning
>>
>>2897085
Teach me
>>
>>2897133
meh, I don't have much interesting things to say. thanks for the compliment tho.
start with an as solid perspective basis as you can (scott robertson/loomis/ the vanishing point book, whatever)
it's harder to wing it irl, since you have to figure everything out without guides and you usually can't have the VP on paper, so practice a bit. (I've done a day like this before one year ago, ahah no time)
Things that are useful to practice to actually do beautiful drawings of this type are straight lines and line weight (ahah I suck at those), but I guess you just need to practice it.
anyway have fun anon. drawing outside can be scary (and cold, hence the coffee shop drawing)
>>
File: progress.jpg (273KB, 1211x945px) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
273KB, 1211x945px
new to digital painting like this, how do i smooth some of the edges the paint is making?
>>
File: meme.png (349KB, 605x479px) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
349KB, 605x479px
>>2897191
SORRY, way too big
>>
>>2897194
play with flow and opacity of the brush
>>
>>2897194
There's lots of ways. You could glaze values by lowering opacity or flow and gradually build in gradations. You could use the smudge tool. You could use the mixer brush tool. You could use a soft edged brush.
>>
File: march-13-2017.jpg (661KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
march-13-2017.jpg
661KB, 1000x783px
"Turquoise and Naples Yellow", oil, 42"x34"
>>
>>2897263
where is the painting dude? behind the green screen?
>>
>>2897263
>signing this and writing the title on it
topkek
>>
File: final1.jpg (161KB, 960x569px) Image search: [Google]
final1.jpg
161KB, 960x569px
kind felt like I half-assed it and ruin everything, but going into details is also wrong. How did wilhelm kuhnert do it ?
>>
>>2897313
I like it i think it looks good
I do have one gripe though
>No butthole
I know it may seem weird to draw an animals asshole but it makes it seem unrealistic and cartoony if there is none
>>
File: proboscis_monkey1 (1).jpg (328KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
proboscis_monkey1 (1).jpg
328KB, 1000x750px
>>2897313

Something about the nose seems a little off to me, I think it looks too long. Kinda reminds me of pic related.
Besides that very nice job.
>>
File: 476.jpg (637KB, 960x1139px) Image search: [Google]
476.jpg
637KB, 960x1139px
>>2897313
This is really good actually. There are a few differences though between you and Kuhnert, mostly that he had experience drawing tigers from life (either skins or zoos) and he probably observed them in the wild too. He also was concerned with showing them as actual breathing animals so as an artist put some extra something into it on top of just drawing them as-is. Plus he knew his anatomy.

With yours I think it just feels a bit dull. How can you push it? Tigers in real life are sort of a dullish orange and only sometimes appear a clear strong saturated orange, but that's how we envision them, so if you paint them it's generally a good idea to push that quality of them. Same with their markings, don't make it dull, make it graphic and striking. I tried to add a bit of interest to your image, making it feel more like a tiger through those things I mentioned as well as emphasizing the paw size slightly and making some changes to the head as well.
>>
>>2897341
>>2897336
I shorten the nose and changed many of her features compared to real life actually. irl, kitty is kept in a run down zoo, so despite being pregnant, she's skinny. Her face is even longer.
>>
>>2897343
Thanks. I tried to get the best of anatomy, but you are right, under bright sunlight against my eyes i couldn't capture the color of her fur well enough.
My gripe lies in the uses of texture, couldn't get the texture to feel detail-ish
>>
File: stat2.jpg (149KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
stat2.jpg
149KB, 500x750px
Lots of good stuff in this thread. I'm much out of practice but I'm starting to member how I painted
>>
File: dragoon.jpg (400KB, 663x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dragoon.jpg
400KB, 663x1000px
Postin' in a draw thread!

And the drawing sort of represents, because I'm tired as fuck and are going to bed now.

See you niggas in the morning
>>
>>2897392
best advice I can give anyone on /ic/ is "If you have to remember how you did it, it isn't worth doing anymore"

If what you are doing isn't a natural process specific to you, no matter how simple, your art will suffer.

>>2897305
>>2897308
is this how you guys act at galleries? you snark your way past each painting and deflect any notion that someone might've made something worthwhile?
>>
>>2897404
>you snark your way past each painting and deflect any notion that someone might've made something worthwhile?
Better to look at something for what it is than to assume it is worthwhile and think everyone who says otherwise is wrong. Color field painting was cutting edge 70 years ago. You're not contributing anything and are just doing a poor imitation of it.
>>
>>2897409
well then I'll go even earlier in art history! I'll do neo-expressionist paintings and see if I am more suited to doing those right now.

But the idea that I am going to do anything new or groundbreaking that hasn't already been done before is facile and naive. At most I can carve out my spot in a movement in art history and be seen as a great artist in the tradition of something that's already been done before.

That seems like a more groundbreaking concept than some illustration-tier fine artist who basically makes concept art on canvas. To say there is nothing new to be done in art, and to prove it in my own artwork by finding fresh meaning in what's already been done.
>>
File: shark bite sm.jpg (186KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
shark bite sm.jpg
186KB, 500x677px
sketch of a girl diver gettin attacked by a great white shark i finished today
>>
>>2897450
>"Ew gross a shark"
>>
>>2897450
Are you that anon that did all those drawings of old wars and trenches and things and used to post here a couple years ago? The style is really similar.

This one is nice but doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me--why is she armed like that? why is she underwater? why is she topless? My first thought was one of those old japanese pearl divers since they used to be women and topless, but then she would need to be asian and carrying a basket or something to carry up oysters.
>>
>>2897473
yup thats me. i was thinking she was diving for abalone shells or something but yeah, she is pretty well armed all the same
>>
>>2897485
Yeah might make more sense to not have the spear then and have her holding the knife instead (and you can leave a scabbard on her waist). Diving with a spear is very impractical especially if she is just after shells. Maybe also show a few of the shells she had gathered? They could be dropped and floating away or something.

Anyways, I love your stuff, and I know I have asked in the past before but I seem to have lost it again--can I have your blog?
>>
yea, i was going to add some shells and an emptying net floating away, i think i will lose the spear and give her a knife instead. heres my

tumblr http://powderfingers.tumblr.com/

(havent added much to it the last year tho)
>>
>>2897497
Thanks man, followed you this time so I don't lose it. You should post more often!
>>
Can i post link to my stream here ?
>>
>>2896383
Any anons studying fundamentals?

Blocked in the values, hues and shades. Ready to render the material.
>>
>>2896754
>>2896811
Got it, thanks for the advice
>>
>>2897499
np dude will do.

>>2897507
sure
>>
>>2897521
What's a good way to go about studying fundamentals?
I honestly feel like I'm at a crossroads with a destination in mind but no knowledge of how to proceed.
>>
>>2897528
Perspective:
Grab a reference or imagine a scene (still look at reference for guidance) and block everything out in boxes. Literally boxes. This makes you focus hard and long about proportions and how objects fit into perspective.

Composition/design: I don't know how to practice this one.

Values/materials:
Use a reference for the light (example, sunlight) and materials that you want. Render it in abstract shapes like I am doing >>2897521
If you haven't done that before, do grayscale clay shapes first. Metallic last. Chrome very last (= most complex).

Anatomy/architecture/...:
Build a visual library. Two exercises: 1. Just doodle. Don't fret about results, just doodle whatever you see. = quantity practice 2. Get a reference, redraw the reference in a different perspective. = quality practice. You need to know perspective already for this one.
>>
File: 477.jpg (353KB, 1760x840px) Image search: [Google]
477.jpg
353KB, 1760x840px
>>2897525
>np dude will do.
Awesome to hear man. I seriously really like your style.

>>2897521
Hm, I feel you aren't sticking to the local colour properly. It's a red object, so why are the shadows that pale purple colour? Yes, the colour of the sky will affect things, but just shift your colour so maybe it is a warm red in the light and a cool red in the shadow. Don't change the entire colour of the object unless it is a white object or something where it can be shifted more easily. Control your saturation a bit more too. Also the cast shadow on the ground has a weird gradient on it, keep it solid. I guess you were aiming for a penumbra but that's not really how they work.

I did a quick paintover, it might not be perfect since I never learned this stuff clinically like through Robertson or Nielson or anything, but I feel it is a little more solid. Keeping that more saturated red everywhere except it goes a bit less saturated for the speculars since the light source is white-ish.
>>
>>2897540
Looks a lot more solid indeed. I'm trying to figure out how painters like James Gurney use so much blue. But yep, I was going way off for the lightest areas as well. Thanks man!
>>
>>2897543
Well the colour shifts can be a result of different things. It depends a lot on the local colour and the material and the surroundings, plus some people will stylize things too and exaggerate the differences. I'm not sure which Gurney piece you are referring to, but I can try to explain some things on it if you want to link something that you don't get.

I think it's important to know what it looks like in real life though, and then if you want to push things a bit it comes from a place of knowledge rather than guesswork. It might be a challenging and fun exercise if you redid this but made different parts of these objects different colours. Like the sphere could be white, one block red, one block green, one block black. It will be tough because you need to really understand what is going on and each one will behave a bit differently, but it's good to know this stuff.
>>
File: Untitled-117.png (2MB, 1084x2121px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-117.png
2MB, 1084x2121px
>>
This is an excellent draw tgread, the standard is really high this time, well done folks.

>>2897450
Did she died?
>>
File: Toobie.jpg (355KB, 1693x2591px) Image search: [Google]
Toobie.jpg
355KB, 1693x2591px
Drew a toobie during a lecture this evening
>>
>>2897632
Cute. What did you use to color?
>>
>>2897635
Copics
>>
>>2897263
I think this is stuck between having not enough contrast in color, and too much. It just looks bland. The colors feel too similar to each other. That's not to say that low contrast never works (Rothko's black paintings, some of Ed Corbett's stuff) but where the contrast is lacking in color/value it's usually made up in form.
I think this piece lacks interesting contrast in either case.
>>
>>2897263
My little sister made something like this once when she was finger painting in her 1st grade art class.
>>
>>2897751
I'm jealous of kids' abilities sometimes. Somehow you lose that amazing ability as you grow older.
>>
>>2897751
savage
>>
little frida sketch
>>
>>2897835
don't get lazy anon...the ear is not even indicated, the mouth is misaligned, eyes are flat and almost symbols, hair is flat, shadows are not even fully blocked in with a flat tone etc honestly it feels like you are just going through the motions of drawing instead of focusing properly
>>
>>2897404
not each one, just the ones that deserve it. not to mention, we are not in a gallery- and whats more important, your painting is not.
>>
File: palm outline2.jpg (142KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
palm outline2.jpg
142KB, 1000x1334px
First layer, think I have the outline pretty good, just needs rendering.
>>
>>2897521
Update. It's finished now, right?
>>
>>2898136
Was this helpful?
>>
>>2898138
Helpful for what?

Understanding values and material and environment influence and calculating shadow and stuff: yeah. It's a brain-heavy exercise. Especially the caved in shape: less light escapes, more internal bounce light => darker but ore saturated?

Also discovered weaknesses: It doesn't look 100% like the reference material & I struggled with the sphere. Didn't know how the hole shape would work - need to find references of this.
Also not sure whether the sloped shape catching green from the environment or not - also something I need reference for. I actually think I made a mistake there, the light angle for environment light bouncing doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>2898148
>>2898138
>>2898136

If that wasn't your question - if you can't render fundamental shapes, how could you ever render a complex character/building/landscape/interior/weapon/... ?
>>
>>2898136
Is this a ctrl paint exercise?
>>
>>2898158
Nah, just a rendering exercise. Most likely Scott Robertson and ctrl paint do feature it, but I dunno.
>>
>>2897085
hey are you italian? That looks a lot like Verona
>>
File: Anime shit.png (441KB, 765x950px) Image search: [Google]
Anime shit.png
441KB, 765x950px
Just trying to draw a goddamn character and now I'm too nervous to try lining/coloring because of the stupid anatomy
I want to die
>>
File: Sin título.jpg (99KB, 767x960px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.jpg
99KB, 767x960px
>>
File: mchh2.jpg (299KB, 618x881px) Image search: [Google]
mchh2.jpg
299KB, 618x881px
thanks a lot for the feedback in the last thread guys
i think im done with this guy
>>
File: study.jpg (222KB, 1000x496px) Image search: [Google]
study.jpg
222KB, 1000x496px
>>2896383
>>
>>2898525
Looks cool now. A couple nitpicks:
-the rays of light through the water are really uniform, I would break up their edges to maybe be a bit softer, change their spacing and size etc
-a lot of the edges on the character are too hard and it's obvious you did him on a separate layer with clipping masks so he looks really cut out. Just softening a few key edges should help
-the cast shadow on his leg is a straight line and flatten it out, I would curve it more to show the roundness and volume of his thigh
>>
The two lazy background characters aside, I'm pretty happy with this.

I think I managed to create a pretty convincing sense of depth to the old dude, which is something I've been struggling with.
>>
File: Mother-Nature.jpg (836KB, 1100x813px) Image search: [Google]
Mother-Nature.jpg
836KB, 1100x813px
"Mother Nature", Oil, 18"x24"
>>
>>2897473
>why is she topless?
are you stupid m8
why would you get all your fucking clothes wet?
>>
>>2898631
Have you never heard of a bathing suit?
>>
>>2898625
Damn, Brian. That's some freaky shit.

It all feels fairly flat. Now, I can't oil at all. But you should be able to make it feel a bit more 3D. Especially the globe.

And something completely different:
Do you have to plaster your signature so imposing on all of your stuff? Not saying to remove it completely, but as it is right now it hurts the quality of the painting.
>>
>>2898625
I think this is the first time I've seen Brian do a figure and it's actually good.
>>
File: witch.png (644KB, 478x728px) Image search: [Google]
witch.png
644KB, 478x728px
Experimenting. thoughts?

>>2898591
cool. got insta by any chance
>>
>>2898687
Thanks!
I do but it's mostly personal stuff so I am keeping it as far away as possible from this shithole.

That's some really nice lines and contrasts. Head feels a bit flat though.
>>
>>2898697
yeah, i dont wanna your personal stuff i just want your drawings. if you make one dedicated to art, post it in self promotion thread or something, imma follow you.

and thanks, and you are right. adding some depth as we speak!
>>
File: Killing Time.jpg (65KB, 526x706px) Image search: [Google]
Killing Time.jpg
65KB, 526x706px
>>
>>2898701
>if you make one dedicated to art, post it in self promotion thread or something
I shall

>adding some depth as we speak!
Good boy!
>>
>>2898625
Unoriginal and looks like shit compared to Courbet's
>>
>>2898787
what makes it unoriginal?

It's based on a painting called "The Origin of the World", and it's a pregnant woman giving birth to the planet, with a title referencing "Mother Nature" both literally, and figuratively.

Nah but you're right it's been done before.
>>
>>2898787
>>2898799
in fact it's probably been done before by you, in fact. So if you could just post your original version of this painting, as well as something to show me what true originality is it'd be greatly appreciated.
>>
Late night drawan.
>>
File: 06.png (1MB, 1414x1000px) Image search: [Google]
06.png
1MB, 1414x1000px
how do i make this better
>>
File: Symbiote Princess(censored).png (230KB, 494x871px) Image search: [Google]
Symbiote Princess(censored).png
230KB, 494x871px
Made this for the Towergirls thread, looking for some feedback and crit on this piece. Anything done wrong, or done right, it'd be great to hear! I have an uncensored version if /ic/ would like that
>>
File: 479.jpg (283KB, 988x871px) Image search: [Google]
479.jpg
283KB, 988x871px
>>2899404
You're kind of pillow shading almost right now. I think you should decide on where your light source is, and then keep it consistent and light all your forms with the direction of the light source in mind.
>>
>>2899420
I see what you mean. It also appears that you darkened a few shadows, like the one behind her arm, and that looks a lot better than mine. I'll try and apply your crit to my piece. Thanks so much! I never even realized how much my fussing over highlights would make it look like pillow shading
>>
>>2899068
finish it
>>
File: notlegolas2.jpg (222KB, 711x979px) Image search: [Google]
notlegolas2.jpg
222KB, 711x979px
here is my elf bro

something is off with the lighting
>>
File: Symbiote Princess.png (290KB, 494x871px) Image search: [Google]
Symbiote Princess.png
290KB, 494x871px
>>2899420
Alright. I fixed it a bit. Does it look better, or worse? I tried following what you did, and I think it turned out a bit more coherent
>>
>>2899454
*not same dude that crit u b4
better, worst part is still the face. looks like its drawn on the smooth surface of the head.

>>2899447
eyes are flat, mouth too small and too high in relation to the nose. also left eye is bigger.

>>2899068
i like the composition and the light -as was alrdy said, finish it. Not sure about the extanded hand, mb too small?
>>
File: IMG_20170315_103517.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170315_103517.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I had fun with this one, don't really want to add anything.
>>
File: Forested World.png (1MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Forested World.png
1MB, 1280x768px
Eh, commission work.

Nice thread btw
>>
>>2897974
Messy but looks like you might know what you're doing. Interested to see the rendered product
>>
>>2899769
Nice lil' world, but needs more variation in the greens and stronger/more clear lighting. Right now it just seems very monochrome and flat. But composition is nice.
>>
>>2896632
the edges on her neck muscles are too hard. It looks like they're creased. There's no shadow from the clothing on her skin and the cloth's edge doesn't convey any thickness.
>>
>>2899497
>eyes are flat, mouth too small and too high in relation to the nose. also left eye is bigger.

Thanks, that helps a lot!
>>
lul OP why u use my artwork?

I gave up.
>>
File: run-boi.jpg (147KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
run-boi.jpg
147KB, 636x900px
Yesterday was bad and I got sad because I couldn't sit down and draw body's in perspective .
today is being more fun tho.No clue on how this will turn out

>>2899068
looking pretty good in the miniature thingy.
make the bg a bit darker so the evil tentacle maine pops out more.The tentacle looks goofy you could make it thinner and more disgusting looking.
try to develop the male/female characters a bit more,they are pretty much nude aliens.

>>2899769
I agree with the other dude,make use of different shades of green
good job on using pinks,definitly push some magentas in there
>>
File: nbo5yiStrXg.jpg (444KB, 2560x1795px) Image search: [Google]
nbo5yiStrXg.jpg
444KB, 2560x1795px
Hello again
i finished it art and i see- it havent style...dont cool vision
Why its so ? because this art havent more details...or composition is borring...or what ? I want to draw style and very mood arts ,but i dont understand how
>>
File: notmerc-wip-shot-2.jpg (384KB, 945x999px) Image search: [Google]
notmerc-wip-shot-2.jpg
384KB, 945x999px
looks okay, yeah?
>>
>>2900359
It's very flat and boring. Try to get more depth in the image by showing more distance in the background and changing the woman's pose so it is foreshortened a bit. Look at this artwork as an example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRmaJ
>>
>>2900364
Oh thanks
i think i understand thanks
you add beautifull example
>>
>>2900359

ah

just have fun while you can. you're not gonna make it lol. im serious.

just enjoy it while you can before your passion dies.
>>
>>2900359
why isnt the smoke poisonous-green? also empty face indicating she would have trouble operating any machinery
and genric i guess? whats with the bird
>>2900310
welcome
>>
>>2900359
her expression is absolutely aweful.

>"oh what does this do"

she just looks like a mix of what inspires you.

>pretty gals, WoW armor and fantasy art. what a flocking mess.

>random bird
>>
>>2900359
aside from what everyone else said. the colors are A+
>>
>>2900368
I have fun but i want to draw better to!:)
>>
>>2900369
>why isnt the smoke poisonous-green? also empty face indicating she would have trouble operating any machinery
>and genric i guess? whats with the bird
Its so hard oh
>>
>>2900340
thats a big ass dragon! and if this dude is running, is he gonna do so cartoon-style, like a meter above ground?
>>
>>2900374
>her expression is absolutely aweful.
>>"oh what does this do"
>she just looks like a mix of what inspires you.
>>pretty gals, WoW armor and fantasy art. what a flocking mess.
>>random bird
How its have to looks ?
>>
>>2900376
>aside from what everyone else said. the colors are A+
thanks!
>>
>>2900374
>>2900369
heh hivemind

>>2900381
add depth, change inspirations, as i said go for poison-wind globadier green, it would make it a little more interesting imho.
>>
File: What-Came-First.jpg (384KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
What-Came-First.jpg
384KB, 1000x1000px
"What Came First"
>>
>>2900386
Thanks
>>
>>2900388
heh.
>>
File: IMG_1281.jpg (1MB, 3500x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1281.jpg
1MB, 3500x4000px
Help a brother out
>>
>>2900380
yeah that sorta the idea
>>
>>2900359
nigga u was in that other thread u didn't fix fuck all of what people told you to fix
you still with that stupid fucking leg?
seriously what do you want
fuck off cunt
>>
>>2900414
I think i fixed it :(
>>
>>2900397
Downsize it ffs. background looks like puke.. face is symbolss
>>2900410
then it looks aight
>>
>>2900410
>>2900447
PS why bother drawing the castle if you gonna draw what appears to be a mule of sorts and cover half of it?
>>
>>2900450
STRUCTURE.It's gonna make it easier to paint
I'll obviously not bother rendering the areas that are behind the characters because their are not gonna be visible
I understand what you are saying but planning stuff before painting pays off
>>
File: Untitled-119.png (620KB, 1280x2012px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-119.png
620KB, 1280x2012px
>>
>>2900381

ah look.

arrogant artists thinks he knows it all. try to understand what others are telling you.
>>
Because mecha is cool as fuck.
>>
File: DoomsdayClock.jpg (341KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DoomsdayClock.jpg
341KB, 750x1000px
"Doomsday Clock"
>>
>>2900529
Sorry i just dont understand you
>>
File: wip.png (528KB, 562x746px) Image search: [Google]
wip.png
528KB, 562x746px
>>
>>2900869
How do I reach your level?
>>
>>2900871
That's really nice of you to say, anon, thank you. I learned to draw a long time ago, look up Marcel Domke's tutorial on gumroad if you want to be able to do what I did.
>>
>>2900529
Are you that simple minded that you can't understand English might not be his/her first language?
>>
>>2900871
Tracing photos
>>
File: sketch study.jpg (60KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sketch study.jpg
60KB, 1000x1000px
i literally just don't include feet in my drawings cause i'm terrible
>>
>>2901058
Cute face, body says thicc though.
>>
>>2901059
cute n thicc
>>
File: IMG_20170315_205728_542.jpg (3MB, 2988x3735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170315_205728_542.jpg
3MB, 2988x3735px
>actually enjoy a gesture model session

Im proud. The last two times i literally walked out mid-drawing to preempt an angersplosion. Is drawing supposed to be relaxing or something?
>>
>>2900871
Find a photo and use any one of a dozen different techniques to copy it faithfully. Then despair at the void that is your creative process.
>>
>>2897473
I read that as
>this drawing is so good that it threatens me
>>
>>2898625
Bryan... just. Hmmm.
>>
File: runescape doodles.png (123KB, 900x428px) Image search: [Google]
runescape doodles.png
123KB, 900x428px
>>
>>2900614
looks like it's filled with jizz
>>
>>2901099
terrible.
>>
>>2901099
Pls post bigger next time
>>
>>2898625
>brian trying to be edgy.

boy do your paintings suck ass.
>>
File: sketches.jpg (166KB, 1000x552px) Image search: [Google]
sketches.jpg
166KB, 1000x552px
some things from this morning
trying to improve my concentration
>>
File: tank.gif (574KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tank.gif
574KB, 1000x1000px
wut is your opinion on this tank that I just painted.
>>
File: evil mermaid dnd.jpg (186KB, 1774x1935px) Image search: [Google]
evil mermaid dnd.jpg
186KB, 1774x1935px
working on some dnd illustrations for a little group of mine, want them to look as good as possible, please send help
>>
>>2901464
those tangents bruh, at the head and the arm with the canvas
is it supposed to be sand or water? what is the crab doing?
>>
>>2901263
Thanks!
>>
>>2901279
>>2901107
definitely more intense than other images i've made. but the concept is 100% there, whether it was executed well is another question.
>>
>>2901595
>but the concept is 100% there
It's there, it's just not a good concept.
>>
>>2899769
u could thicken the mist a bit for a better contrast in colors i think. other than that, love it
>>
>>2901464
bigger please
>>
>>2901597
find me one image on this board right now that has a better concept, and explain to me why it's better.

I've been writing for the past 3 days I have plenty more where that came from, and they're all conceptually more interesting than anything on this board right now.

This is what I'm going to do full time now. I've given up on still lifes, landscapes, and portraits for now unless I have a strong concept behind it
>>
File: asda.jpg (2MB, 2200x1713px) Image search: [Google]
asda.jpg
2MB, 2200x1713px
Really big into the large, repetitive ink pieces. Been drawing alot of things like this lately and honestly its fairly relaxing.
>>
>>2901641
>>
>>2901471
sadly its supposed to be water but I don't quite understand how to get the effect. Its darker because its wet sand? thanks for the help btw. I will move the crab.
>>
File: bad mermaids dnd.jpg (925KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
bad mermaids dnd.jpg
925KB, 3000x2000px
>>2901464
also this is a continuation I'm also working on, hoping you guys could tear it apart as well, the bubbles confuse me and help is also needed
>>
File: un allemand.jpg (168KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
un allemand.jpg
168KB, 1800x1800px
I love germans
>>
>>2901737
stop using low opacity for this kind of thing, I can tell and it looks bad
>>
>>2901760
okay!
>>
>>2901737
increase that brush size brotha. stroke lines look nice on leyendecker, but rarely by anyone on a digital medium.
>>
File: stat3.jpg (160KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
stat3.jpg
160KB, 500x750px
>>2897392
Slow progress but still progress
>>
>>2901794
nice. that pink is looking sick
>>
>>2901800
Ya I'm tryin to tighten up the graphics and shit
>>
File: 216201716339.jpg (608KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
216201716339.jpg
608KB, 1080x1080px
2ish hours from live model. What do you guys think about his far eye? To high/too low?
>>
>>2901872

I think his left eye looks too low
>>
>>2901872
can't saywithout seeing the model

>>2901883
how can you know his accuracy without the reference being presented?
>>
>>2901887
Im just asking about the general symmetry. I have trouble with eye placement in 3/4
>>
>>2901872
Yeah the far eye seems a bit low, or the close eye is a bit high (depends on the model's proportions). They seem a bit misaligned though.
>>
>>2901595
It is a bit on the nose. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. Why'd ya paint it? Is it a feminist piece or...?
>>
File: PartyAnimal.jpg (607KB, 1000x791px) Image search: [Google]
PartyAnimal.jpg
607KB, 1000x791px
"Party Animal", acrylic, 16"x20"
>>
>>2901943
Oh shit brians finally getting political.

Inb4 everyone who said "stop painting boring still lifes without a message" say "go back to what your good at and stay out of politics"
>>
>>2901943
Really making me feel like we're living in the past Brian
>>
>>2901942
He's an idiot who likes "clever" visual puns in his paintings and thinks it's the epitome of creativity
>>
>>2901955
>thinks it's the epitome of creativity
it is. all great art is symbolic, its just that the references become more and more obscure over time. art that was created in a world without the internet had very obfuscated meanings that weren't lost on the people at the time, but we see now and have a hard time interpreting

You've probably been to a museum and seen paintings explained to you as "the ivy falling over the pool of water to the left represents purity of the woman in the foreground" or whatever. That's exactly what I'm doing except the references are modern, and span subject matter across the entirety of nature, culture, and language because I grew up in a time when visual imagery and language is becoming globalized and widely understood. The concepts are set in stone now, I'm just putting them together.
>>
>>2901966
How did you reach this level of genius? Is this what you call talent? Did you train yourself to be this way? Just what is the secret?
>>
>>2901970
Hate everything and everybody is a good start
>>
File: avatarcolor.png (171KB, 900x428px) Image search: [Google]
171KB, 900x428px
a little bit of sloppy mouse coloring
>>
File: obelisk.jpg (787KB, 1100x604px) Image search: [Google]
obelisk.jpg
787KB, 1100x604px
I wanted to put a person somewhere but I couldn't get it to read well without making them unrealistically large
>>
>>2902024
I feel like everything is pointing or leaning to the left, but there's no pay off in that stand of trees. And the floating concrete is really boring.
>>
>>2902036
That's why I wanted a person there looking up at it. I think it would have solved both problems, but I have the hardest time painting people into scenes. Regular scenery like this, I can do, and plain portraits of people I can do, but for some reason I can't stick them together.
>>
>>2902024
get rid of the block and put something interesting. your rendering reminds me of stalenhag. maybe take some ideas from him
>>
>>2901966
Typical postmodernist mindset.

>intellectual depth is difficult so Ill settle for saying nothing and claiming that it means everything.

Disappointed in you, bry-bry. Try, try again.
>>
>>2902024
looks a lot like stahlenhag but I love his shit so just bring on more of it.
It also looks a lot like its just a paintover, especially in the distance but the mark making on the trees on the left are really nice. I think it should look really realistic so I don't really care if it looks photographic just sayin. Whats your reference photo?
Do you have a blog?
>>
>>2902073
>>2902036

I like the slab to a point, but it could be a bit more interesting. I'd probably add some shit hanging off of it, or some birds perched on it.
>>
>>2897543
non o no,
the first version looked better. I like the blue.

Also wow guys, there is some really good stuff in here this time around. I don't know if the old people came back or you're all just gittin gud but I'm proud of you.
>>
File: 20170306_151610.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_151610.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>2902186
My reference was just some picture I took
>>
>>2902024

Needs a third vanishing point above badly. Unless you're going for a flat look to the cube deliberately that is.
>>
>>2902153
could also just be my attempt to bring meaning and order to a world that seems to be increasingly more chaotic and cruel
>>
File: Untitled_Artwork 41.jpg (107KB, 648x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_Artwork 41.jpg
107KB, 648x1050px
Right arm isn't convincing me, she probably has other issues too
>>
>>2902463
both arms look short to me
>>
>>2901943
are you sending this to a newspaper or something? looks like accurate level of "witty"

>>2902024
thats cool. how about some cords hanging loose around the box, and mb just a slight glow on the edges here and there (from the inside) would make it more interesting and mb give some hints to why is it floating around, hmm?
>>
>>2902475
its stylized you shithead
>>
>>2902463
those legs
those feet
those tits
that vag
those arms
those hands

holy fuck just stop
>>
File: birds.jpg (462KB, 1000x556px) Image search: [Google]
birds.jpg
462KB, 1000x556px
>>2902463 arms looks a little short, but she looks so soft, i love evething else
>>
>>2900359
it looks like you have one person here who really hates you. 100% guarantee all those previous replies are from some salty /beg/ tier loser
the anatomy is really wonky and the gas tank thing looks weirdly out of place
but i like the colors
>>
File: witch2.png (422KB, 482x691px) Image search: [Google]
witch2.png
422KB, 482x691px
another one
thoughts please
>>
>>2900359
The problem is that there's nothing HAPPENING in the image. There are interesting colors and shapes, but there isn't an action or emotion being portrayed. I notice a lot of people get caught up in sketching a figure and then trying to create a composition around it. Honestly it should work the other way around -- you should have an idea first, and create the figure with that idea in mind.

One trick is to just imagine the scene you've already created, but move the "camera". Where could you put it to create a stronger emotion? What are you looking for? Then from there, change the scene and the figure to better match the composition you found.
>>
>>2901621
Hahaha you fucking clod.

Tell me, what's your concept? What's so deeply interesting about your "mother nature"?
>>
File: e47b9898d7d7e75edd150dfe71661346.jpg (193KB, 700x1063px) Image search: [Google]
e47b9898d7d7e75edd150dfe71661346.jpg
193KB, 700x1063px
>>2902916
You really need to think things through before you start inking.
The head is very misaligned and unless I'm seeing things wrong, that big toe is on the wrong side of the foot.

It also wouldn't hurt if you practised line weight and put some more effort into cross hatching.
But start with putting more effort into sketch and make sure it's accurate before you start inking.
>>
>>2902943
the toe is form the other leg, right one is bend and in air, left one is standing on the ground. it doesnt read clearly tho, so duealy noted
thanks mate
>>
>>2902948
>left one is standing on the ground
It looks like she's flying.
>>
>>2902933
"Mother Nature, Childbirth, L'Origin du Monde"

it's funny can you guys enjoy my paintings without telling me to stop being "witty" and "clever" in quotes.

If I'm "witty" and "clever" in sarcastic quotes what is ACTUALLY witty and clever? Show me an artist who's on my level in single panel, wordless imagery. The only person who comes close is Nicholas Gurewitch but he uses a completely different format, and he's got a bigger back catalogue/has been doing it longer.
>>
>>2902933
I mean... I've done abstract paintings, still lifes, portraits, landscapes, illustrations, comics, music, podcasts, videos, art in multiple media... and you guys still tell me to get out of my comfort zone.
>>
File: 1468959161977.jpg (193KB, 762x785px) Image search: [Google]
1468959161977.jpg
193KB, 762x785px
>>2902968
>L'Origin du Monde
>>
>>2902968
>The only person who comes close is Nicholas Gurewitch
HAHAHA you wish, buddy
>>
>>2902973
its the name of a painting you dolt
>>
File: Face.jpg (85KB, 941x836px) Image search: [Google]
Face.jpg
85KB, 941x836px
Value study and getting used to blending colors on photoshop
>>
>>2902974
actually last time i checked he liked my work, i emailed him some of my stuff a few years ago.

i haven't needed validation in a long time though, now I just make shit.
>>
>>2901099
Oh, these are nice! May I ask what you've drawn with? Because of the contrast of the photo, my mind can't decide if it's pencil or pen...
>>
File: druid-dude-final-2.jpg (533KB, 964x999px) Image search: [Google]
druid-dude-final-2.jpg
533KB, 964x999px
is this at least presentable?
>>
>>2903227
Very hard to read, your monitor might be off. Try looking at this on some phones and friends computers
>>
File: 480.jpg (430KB, 1154x600px) Image search: [Google]
480.jpg
430KB, 1154x600px
>>2903227
I guess it's presentable, but some things can be pushed a bit farther. I made some changes to the lighting to keep it more consistent and interesting, and then beefed up the magic a lot as that was the weakest part in my opinion. Rather than a generic Nike swoosh, I think you could have made it more the focus and have more variety. Get some edge variation in there so parts feel softer, maybe it is twisting like smoke more, or has some small sparks in it, some colour shifts, some parts brighter or darker etc.

Also a small nitpick is the grain on the background can be more subtle.
>>
>>2903258

holy fug, i can't see shit on my phone. and everyone keeps saying it's too dark, it might really be a problem with my monitor

>>2903264

I appreciate the paintover. y-yeah the lighting is not very consistent in some parts
>>
>>2902226
BLOG nigga what's your BLOG?
>>
File: stat2.jpg (158KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
stat2.jpg
158KB, 500x750px
[Drumstep] - Varien - Valkyrie (feat. Laura Brehm) [Monstercat Release]

Such a damn good song.
>>
>>2903526
You're decent, but you need more patience. It looks like you're trying to work quickly to achieve the look of mullins or some such, with brush economy. However, those painters' works *llokk* fast because they involved an enormous amount of patience.
>>
>>2901099
They're not super great as gestures, but you've really got a handle on solidity. Looks good.
>>
File: 1.jpg (387KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
387KB, 1000x707px
>>2902475
>>2902805
Thanks I will try to fix those arms, nice birds btw

>>2900869
I would need to see the ref but imho the hair needs more highlights, otherwise it's very nice

<- Trying to apply landscape studies in order to draw from imagination/memory
>>
>>2904052
Firez, what do you do when you're feeling down?
>>
>>2904053
I feel down most of the time but drawing makes me feel considerably less miserable by convincing me that it is still worth living if only to see how far I can get with it.

Art as a whole is one of the few things that still gives me a sense of hope, that is why I wish to explore other forms in order to make more cohesive/complete pieces.

Reading Camus (particularly the sisyphus essay) was a big deal for me in order to make some sort of peace with depression and instill discipline and resilience.
>>
File: guts1.jpg (521KB, 746x1000px) Image search: [Google]
guts1.jpg
521KB, 746x1000px
Straight from a book
>>
File: 34806749s.jpg (63KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
34806749s.jpg
63KB, 450x600px
>>2901642
>>
>>2904087
You need a gf
>>
>>2904087
>>2904150

I'm depressed as well. Originally, my depression was caused by a schizophernic episode I had while traveling but I was able to overcome it by realizing it didn't exist and that it was all in my head.

For a period of time, I felt happy but then I suddenly started losing a lot of my friends(some moved away, some disconnected, it was during the end of my high school and I was transitioning to college). I still have one close friend but we barely meet up and I do feel lonely. Beyond that, I never had a gf and the thought of dying alone has worsen my depression. I'm 22 now and I've given myself 8 more years to find happiness. If I can't, then I decided to end myself.

I do find joy in art but art cannot make up for social connections. First and foremost, we are social beings. If you're socially isolated, getting good at art isn't gonna change that. Hope, you get better.
>>
>>2904155
>I do find joy in art but art cannot make up for social connections.
That's my main reason for wanting a job in a studio, working and interacting with other people
>>
>>2904155
Before you off yourself do some cool shit or at least fun stuff like unprotected sex with a bar slut - it's not like getting an STD would matter anymore. And absolutely tell everyone what you really think of them.

But before it gets that far find the origin of your depression. I bet it's people in your surroundings who you have to put up with or who force you to pretend be someone who you are not. But I might be projecting here.
>>
>>2904155
gaaaaay
>>
File: 1447635230461.jpg (302KB, 906x647px) Image search: [Google]
1447635230461.jpg
302KB, 906x647px
>>2904087
>he reads camus to feel better because hes depressed with no friends
humans are truly caricatures of themselves
>>
File: 02.png (941KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
02.png
941KB, 1000x700px
>>
File: Warehouse.jpg (442KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
Warehouse.jpg
442KB, 1296x968px
Guys, I plan on spending the rest of the month and some of the next doing basic perspective assignments. (Warehouses, rooms, garages..etc), so I can move into environment design and design. I don't know how to tone, or paint. Is this an Ok route to follow?

I'd ask on /beg/ but I am not sure they have the answer.
>>
>>2904239
>assignments
damn, that's a good idea.

If you do it on digital, you can just use polygonal selection tool for all your coloring needs. You will eventually need to learn how to paint for more complex scenes.

Check this out, maybe it will help you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE-Co55c-sQ
>>
>>2904247

Wow, that guy is freaking awesome. Thanks for the source.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (222KB, 562x926px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
222KB, 562x926px
no bully pls
>>
>>2904341
What is she supposed to be doing? I would fix her pose to something more deliberate. The far hand is in a generic "I don't know what to draw this hand doing" pose, the close one is like a cartoon action of a girl afraid of a mouse on the floor, and her face is blank and expressionless and staring right at us. I think you should make her hands, body, and face all work towards the same thing, If she is relaxed then maybe have her arms resting by her sides with her hands clasped in the middle, or if you want something more dynamic maybe have her arms showing she is dancing and have her face smiling and looking elsewhere as if she is in the middle of it all. Up to you what you want her doing and how you want to show it, but make it something that is clearer and makes sense.

It's painted pretty well and I like the dress design, just the image makes little sense to me in terms of what she is doing and why you are painting this scene. Otherwise just continue with it I guess. Careful maybe with the values on her skin as it is almost getting a bit muddy. If you want that ambient lighting I would keep the values a bit more subtle and flat and think more in terms of local values.
>>
File: The Luna Passage.jpg (296KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
The Luna Passage.jpg
296KB, 800x553px
WIP, any pointers?
I missed doing stuff from plain imagination
>>
>>2904341
what the devil is going on with them ruffles
they look asymmetrical, but if that's intentional, then i would try to angle the asymmetry in a way that is more dynamic
>>
>>2904382
The composition needs to be fixed, I get that it's a cavern but this image makes me feel very trapped. I suggest changing the "walls" on the sides of the painting because they both are very similar shapes and they're both the same size.
>>
>>2904382
the framing is pretty claustrophobic, even though I see it's supposed to be a passage
I think leaving at least one corner open would help
>>
>>2904396
Ah, yeah I see what you mean. Noted, thanks anon.
>>
>>2904399
Thanks anon. I think the bottom left could do some work, getting some fibonacci in there
>>
>>2904382
>>2904404
Consider changing the values of one of the sides, right now they look like they occupy the same plane (and is pretty close to the middle formation), and pushing one of them forward/ backwards could make it less compact by adding depth.
>>
>>2904382

Makkon?
>>
>>2898529
i like
>>
>>2904455
Nope, ExitMothership
>>
>>2904505
I looked at your gallery on DA and was wondering how you did all those interiors. Did you use a 3d base? Or did you plot them out manually? Would love to see your process on it.
>>
>>2904541
The client basically gave me reference images, usually two. One for perspective and one for the interior design and from there it was manually. I used a few 3D objects though, for example the chandeliers. Couldn't bother with the perspective there
>>
>>2904544
Thanks for answering. I'd be curious to see what images you were provided for something like the School Mansion Interior. Like you were given a photo that had all that architecture in perspective and you just changed the style of the decor?
>>
File: wip0009_small.jpg (560KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wip0009_small.jpg
560KB, 848x1200px
book cover WIP
>>
>>2904567
This one was actually giving me hell (I guess you can tell by the wall paneling) and that's also the only one I kept very close to the reference since the client didn't need a lot of changes from the original. But the bedroom for example had a perspective reference image from some kind of vacation hotel room with position of the bed and window and another reference image for the actual design of the bed, vanity and such.
In the beginning I set up general guidelines on the perspective reference and work further from there.
And in each of the backgrounds I had to change materials so they look like they're all in the same mansion style-wise (lot's of wood, blue and golden decor, etc.).
A few months ago I still did VN backgrounds in SketchUp but since I realized that I will never get around the issue of learning perspective or remodeling a room in 3D might take longer than just painting it I ditched all that and got into perspective. It's still damn difficult but I'm learning a lot from these newer commissions. Also looks better imo
>>
>>2904594
It's a little dull. Maybe get some richer darks in there, have the areas that are hit by the light be more saturated etc.

The creature can maybe be slightly more central instead of cropped off so much, right now it sort of takes the viewer out of the image.

As you move into the final too make sure her proportions read as stylized and not as accidental.
>>
>>2904594

god that's baaaaaaad
>>
>>2904601
Interesting to hear. I should really learn this stuff too as its one of the biggest weaknesses of mine. I paint professionally but can't set up a good perspective heavy image like that, and looking at things like Scott Robertson's book makes my eyes glaze over. How are you going about learning this stuff?
>>
File: Warehouse assignment.jpg (378KB, 1744x1116px) Image search: [Google]
Warehouse assignment.jpg
378KB, 1744x1116px
>>2904239
>>2904247

I can't wait to internalize perspective, it's not even finished and it making me dizzy. Any obvious issues with it, anything I could do to improve?
>>
>>2904621
Where did you get a ref for this?
>>
>>2904625

It's not a copy, I made it up. But I did do at least 5 thumbnails of warehouses from Google images (literally type warehouse) before proceeding.
>>
>>2904614
Oh yeah, I actually have Scott Robertsons books right next to me but I'm to afraid to get into that hardcore perspective. I started out with Perspective Made Easy and went offtrack from there, and I'm trying to observe a lot. I think that's what my basis is. I'm by no means where I want to get for example I wouldn't even attempt fisheye lens since I can't get my head around it.
But as long as it is 2-point it is managable for me and I made myself a perspective grid like this guy uses in his video at 1:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhhuhYehDw
It helps an awful lot.

Btw, do you mind posting your blog or so? Always curious what other professional anons do.
>>
>>2896761
Oh god I thought you drew that and was like "if draw threads on ic are at this level is there any hope left?"
>>
>>2904621

I just realized the issue with the roof and the fact that I could have made the bars in the foreground overlap with the box containers for added depth. It's like I don't realize these things until I post my work.
>>
>>2897263
That id absolutely beautiful and Amzing, nevr change and don t let anybody tell u otherwis
>>
>>2904643
Cool I'll watch that video then. Maybe I really do need to start with a book like Perspective Made Easy like you say. I feel like I already know the basics of things though and just can't apply them very well. I haven't watched the video you linked yet but it looks like it might be just what I need. Since you asked for my blog I'll show you, and you can see how perspective either is fudged, not relevant in most of my images, or maybe is a 1 point thing that's mostly eyeballed. I don't have much finished work or client stuff posted though, it's mostly old sketches or studies:
http://andrewsonea.tumblr.com/
>>
File: 1489136659235.png (323KB, 584x717px) Image search: [Google]
1489136659235.png
323KB, 584x717px
>>2896407
>>
File: The Luna Passage edit.jpg (304KB, 800x593px) Image search: [Google]
The Luna Passage edit.jpg
304KB, 800x593px
>>2904674
Oh wow, I have defo seen you post here. Very nice body of work, can't really believe that you haven't nailed perspective yet. Loving the whale and squid.

I edited my WIP, do you think the framing works now?
>>
>>2901099
Nigga those ain't gestures
>>
File: 1476438621071.gif (40KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1476438621071.gif
40KB, 350x263px
>>2896407
>>2904678
>>
File: b62.gif (171KB, 200x207px) Image search: [Google]
b62.gif
171KB, 200x207px
>>2904728
>>
File: wg.jpg (374KB, 700x819px) Image search: [Google]
wg.jpg
374KB, 700x819px
>>2904709
>Very nice body of work, can't really believe that you haven't nailed perspective yet.
Thanks, and yeah I guess I am used to hiding my perspective ignorance. I can eyeball it reasonably for some images I guess or choose to paint images that don't need it a lot, but any interiors like you were doing are my nightmare. Mechanical stuff is a pain too.

>I edited my WIP, do you think the framing works now?
I think it's better than what you had before. What is the image for though? I think the problem with this type of thing is that between the framing and the composition, everything is really static and boring, so the central focal point needs to be super interesting, but all that is there is a rock (with repetitive shapes on top of it too). I've seen some other artists try to pull of similar images and it rarely succeeds in my opinion. I've attached a Min Yum painting that has a lot in common and you can see how much he had to include in the image to make it interesting (insane shape play/design everywhere, lots of hues, a waterfall, ropes, he made sure to keep the two sides not just walls either and tried to break up the symmetry, lots of overlaps and repetition to get depth etc). He really pulled out all the bells and whistles to save that image.

Again, I don't know what your image is for and that will determine some of your choices, but personally I would make the focal point more interesting. Maybe put a person or structure there, or a boat moored in the shadow, more interesting rock shapes, some carvings or runes, doesn't really matter what.
>>
I hate this. I hate myself. And I hate you.
And now I'm going to get drunk and wallow in self-pity.
>>
>>2904780
Hm, yeah I see what you mean. First of all, at least it's not a commission so I'm not in a hurry to get this super spot-on for now.
And I actually wanted to put a person up there and the other point of interest will be back in the distance where the sky is somewhat glowing. I want to draw a connection between the middle rock formation and that the stones (with glowing runes) on top reveal a passage in the moonlight to the island in the distance. Something along these lines, I think I need to work on it further to establish what's really going on in the image, or to atleast make it more clear to the eye.
Does that make sense?
>>
>>2904864
whats with the midget proportions? heads are huge man
>>
>>2905710
Yeah, it's a common issue for me. I'm working on it.
>>
>>2904052
Thank you, Firez, it means a lot to me coming from you
>>
File: stilllife_small.jpg (121KB, 1200x540px) Image search: [Google]
stilllife_small.jpg
121KB, 1200x540px
wew
>>
File: banshee_pose2.jpg (163KB, 929x500px) Image search: [Google]
banshee_pose2.jpg
163KB, 929x500px
Gonna dump a few things here
>>
File: vamp_test_1.jpg (89KB, 700x721px) Image search: [Google]
vamp_test_1.jpg
89KB, 700x721px
>>
File: bloodborne2.jpg (237KB, 1300x869px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne2.jpg
237KB, 1300x869px
WIP
>>
small watercolor sketch
>>
File: huntress.jpg (88KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
huntress.jpg
88KB, 500x707px
any constructive criticism is welcome
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 106

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.