[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody on /if/ go to school for industrial design or have

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (75KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 625x350px
Does anybody on /if/ go to school for industrial design or have any knowledge related to the field? I'm thinking about doing it but I'd like to know what you guys think.
>>
>>2362997
>/if/
I typed in /ic/ I'm sorry guys
>>
>>2362997
>posts on ic
>works in a field that is useful to society
>>
i'm majoring in it (BSID)

don't have a ton of info on it since i'm in my first year (one semester down). planning to go into entertainment design someday down the road
>>
>>2362997
>I'm thinking about doing it
Same here.
It's seems like the only art-related field that doesn't involve too much bullshit like philosophy, and it often teaches basics of 3d (which is important to know in concept art industry).
But don't count on getting a job in this field - it's over saturated.
>>
>>2363038
Where at and how is it?
>>2363043
It depends. I've asked around and gotten a couple different answers. Most people say it's hard and to just try to put out the best portfolio you can. I've also heard networking is key, like mediocre designers get hired over people with better portfolios because they talked to the boss or ceo at some event. Someone else told me that his company is always hiring if your portfolio is good enough.

But at the same time I get what you're saying, job growth is slow as hell and companies only need a handful of designers.
>>
>>2363092
Jobs are nearly impossible to get from what I've heard.
>>
>>2363092
>I've also heard networking is key
I hear this everywhere, it seems like you can't get a job flipping burgers without being good at networking
>>
>>2364423
Pretty much yeah
>>
IMHO it's best to have first degree in mechanical engineering to go for industrial design, being a successful designer requires quite a lot of experience and I'm pretty certain nobody would hire you if you don't know how to work in Catia, NX, Inventor or Creo and have no idea about stresses, where you can reduce material and how you would manufacture it.

I mean, in OP designer had to think to not put too much details or bad shit that can't be made in injection mold.

t. still studying and unemployed engineer
>>
>>2365405
>unemployed engineer

that doesn't quite fit into my world-narrative. what went wrong?
>>
>>2365435

Depression fucking up 3 years of my studies. I will be 27 in July and the fastest I could do my Master's is by June.
>>
>>2365445
So you already got your bachelors? Shouldn't it be easy to land a job/ couple of internships? Good luck Pham.
>>
>>2362997
Im in my final semester of Industrial Design at Loughborough University.
Dont expect your drawing to carry you through or even be a major part of the degree.
Its essentially product design/ engineering with a very minor focus (1 or 2 1st year modules) on user design and drawing methods.

It has very little to do with traditional drawing and rendering, and is mainly based in 3d modelling. I wouldn't go into it knowing what I know now, as I naively assumed it would be an interesting way to apply my art and creativity to a profession.
>>
>>2365469
I hate it so much, please heed my warning. It has nothing in common with art.
Industrial Design is about function over form.
>>
>>2365465

Maybe. Everything depends. Getting to the job market 3 years later is generally really bad. On the other hand, different things happen. IMO it all boils down to how good you are in contacts with people and how well you have your life sorted. I don't have above, so I'll have to work really hard to get it and on top of that develop my technical skills even further, and by develop I mean - do consistently good job for someone.

One plus is that I live in EU. My brother-in-law is working for foreign company for shit pay as programmer, but here he multiplies that money x6. Also can work from his home and stay with my sister and their kid. So win-win.

...I just need little success in my life and a job, things will get brighter after that. I would advise the same to all burned-out and complaining people in other thread - sort your life first, have steady income, develop skillset on the side. It's better to grow as an artist if you are happy and don't have to worry about reality fucking you up suddenly tomorrow.

Sorry for the boring blogpost.
>>
>>2365481
Np man. Good luck.
>>2365469
>>2365476
Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll stick to CS.
>>
File: 1257.jpg (52KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1257.jpg
52KB, 720x960px
4th year Arch. major here, really drawn to ID as a potential area of employment.
>>
>>2365896
How is architecture? I was considering it but it takes like 5 years to get a BofArch and if your school doesn't have that you have to get a masters. Then after all that work I heard the pay and hours are shit too.
>>
>>2365896
the perspective on the top drawing and the wheels is absolutely mind bending
get this as a pdf, it really helps to have a thorough knowledge of construction when drawing.
Im the guy who was complaining about ID yesterday, as I said, nothing is freeform, ID sketching is all about thorough under drawings and construction.
>>
>>2366767
So would you recommend avoiding ID? I was thinking it's about the only art related thing that might get me a job. Doesn't feng hand out ID degrees as well?
>>
File: driver.jpg (47KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
driver.jpg
47KB, 500x421px
>>2362997
I have mixed feelings about it but it's a very cool field. If you put Engineering on one side and Art on the other, ID would be on the center.

But if you're looking for something involving more art than it's probably not for you. It involves a lot of knowledge in materials and manufacturing, contextual/market research, prototyping, ergonomics, 3d modelling, etc etc. There's a lot of drawing involved, but not in a artistic/creative mentality. You're drawing to pinpoint a product making hundreds/thousands of sketches to find the perfect blend of form and function which can clash.

What people are saying about networking is absolutely true. I still haven't got my foot in the door, because I have a poor network. But to be honest I dont think I'm going to enjoy the field.

And if you're going in for car design. stop. Unless you're attending a school specifically for it that is.

>>2365469
>It has very little to do with traditional drawing and rendering, and is mainly based in 3d modelling. I wouldn't go into it knowing what I know now, as I naively assumed it would be an interesting way to apply my art and creativity to a profession.
This is exactly how I feel. At the time my school was very focused in designing Appliances and Tools, so I focused my projects on toys just to make things interesting. During my product drawing/rendering classes everything I drew was a toy or robot. Although I got a lot of praise for technical stuff, most of it wasn't realistic. What sucked the most was that my ID department shifted their focus towards Toy Design on my final year.

Had I known what ID was like I would have got into Illustration/ Concept Art.
>>
>>2367809
do you think it's a realistic career option? Cause a degree in fine arts for example, wont really put you ahead of anyone who doesn't have a degree and it's pretty much impossible to be a steadily employed fine artist.

And what do you dislike about ID? I get that it's repetitive but I feel like I'd enjoy making designs/ sketching the same thing over and over again more than an office job or something like engineering. Why do you think illustration would've been better? Also good luck on networking, hope you find work.
>>
File: jellyfish.jpg (130KB, 1200x840px) Image search: [Google]
jellyfish.jpg
130KB, 1200x840px
>>2367831
Yes I think it's a great career option. I dont know the sensation, but I can only imagine the feel when my friends say they worked on the UX for Netflix or was a Service Designer for the Google Car.

I dont dislike it. It's just not for me or maybe I just dont have my life straightened out.

Repetitive sketching is fun, and I'm actually doing some now expanding on my pic here>>2367821 (walking platforms, machinery, etc etc). But I feel like what I want to do would be more appropriate for a different audience.

...At the same time I really enjoy designing toys, and would love to enter that field.
>>
D-don't go to architecture or industrial design if you're interested in art
It's hard as balls, has very little to do with art, and you'll just learn more if you study your exact area of interest at home

There's no way your childhood dream was drawing and designing drills, lamps and vacuum cleaners.
>>
>>2367846
Cool. Digging the designs and hopefully you'll get to design some cool toys anon.
>>2367878
I feel like it's probably the best option though. Obviously it wasn't my dream to design irons and washing machines but I'd probably enjoy that more than doing engineering or some other STEM thing. (Which are kinda the only options) the classes are probably hard but I don't think they should be any worse than CS or engineering, which is what I think most people would get stuck doing anyway. So for me personally, it comes down to doing shitty thing A or doing shitty thing B with the bonus of getting to draw.
>>
>>2365469
>It has very little to do with traditional drawing and rendering, and is mainly based in 3d modelling.
>implying that modern concept art doesn't involve lot's of 3d
kek.
>>
>>2367914
Why not go to art school and commit to it if that's what you wanna do? Half-assing it won't make you happy.
>>
>>2368882
Art degrees are pretty much worthless in terms of finding a job but I think you have to have one for ID, so if you go down the fine art route it's better to just grind on your own or find cheap classes instead of shelling out so much money for a degree.
>>
>>2368914
I agree; it just seems like a much nicer life to neet at home and get good at art, instead of slaving at a school that's kicking your ass, in a field you're vaguely interested in but not really but it kinda pays the bills. This might come off as naive, but in my experience it's really a matter of choosing what you wanna do with your life.

I tried architecture with a similar mindset as you, and thankfully realized that there's no way i'll ever be happy doing this for a living, so i dropped out, neeted a bit and got hired. Got an art degree in the meantime that's largely useless, but it didn't exactly take a lot of my time, effort or stress. The worst possible thing i could've done would've been to listen to all my relatives and friends advising me to plough through with architecture, since it pays better, it's respectable, etc. It would've made me a nervous wreck, stuck with doing a job i'd have hated.
>>
>>2368930
May I ask what exactly you do? (Illustrator, concept art, etc?) I know art is what I want to do with my life but I don't know if I could go neet. I might just go with CS and grind art at the same time. I live with my family and they're paying for college so it'd be impossible to just focus on art. Thanks for the insight, good to know that getting an art job is possible.
>>
>>2363036
apparently architects and Industrial Designers are retarded, and no engineers like them
>>
>>2368283
> traditional drawing and rendering
> modern concept art

see the difference?
>>
>>2369004
I've heard similar things. Not sure if it's true though.
>>
>>2370590
Yes, it is true. ID is a bunch of douchebags with their heads up each other's asses who think all their ideas are golden eggs.

Alternatively, all engineers think they are the smartest, and think that they are the only ones doing any actual work.

Reality is that ID needs engineers to do work, and engineers need ID to come up with ideas. Without ID, engineers would be happy shipping a terminal window and a keyboard.
>>
>>2365469
Depends a lot on the type of ID you study. There's the more down to earth version you're describing, but a lot of art schools also have an ID program that is much more focused on artsy shit, i.e. concepts and feelings over function. Needless to say, the more artsy the study, the lower your chances to get a decent job out of it.
>>
I graduated in Industrial Design last June. Got a great graduation internship and started working there the day after.
We had drawing class each week, from a teacher who I later found out studied at Art Center about 15 years ago. There were some parallels with How to Draw. Heavy focus on construction and perspective.
Like everything it depends how much effort and time you want to put into developing your skills. I can certainly see myself do concept/entertainment design later in my career.
>>
>>2371238
What are the job prospects like for ID? I'm sure I'd do great in it but I don't want to end up with student debt up to my ass with no way to pay for it. How many people from your class found a job in ID? Would you say it was difficult to find a job? Do you think you worked harder than everyone else?

I'd seriously appreciate any advice since I'm seriously considering majoring in ID.
>>
>>2372216
I feel confident you'll be able to get a job if you are willing to invest in yourself. We had students with a bad mentality, doing work only because they had to do it. They won't make it easily, as their portfolio will consist of nothing but mediocre projects during his/her study.

The field is pretty broad with plenty of directions to specialize in. We were taught basic concept generation, ergonomics, drawing skills, 3D CAD design and technical documentation. You can end up doing pure engineering work, or develop nothing but concepts, at various types of companies.

Knowledge of 3D rendering and a good feeling for design in general will get you ahead with presenting your work and therefor yourself. Look at different universities, check which one suits you best (focus on engineering or pure 'design'). I've done a bachelor in The Netherlands, not sure how that compares to your options.
>>
>>2372359
Thanks a lot anon.
>>
I consider entering in a ID school not as default, i really wanna do it but i was wondering if the market of design is the same in US and Europe ?
As i'm from france (by the way if there's any others), i would know if there's lot of things u guys had to learnt by yourself ( CAD or Coding ) or there's really some course of it (the question might be dumb as every school don't have the same courses )?
It worries me because the only design school close to me is really artsy related.
>>
>>2372359
You in the US?
>>2374254
I'm pretty sure a good course should introduce you to everything you need to know to get a job. Putting in the hours to get good at it will be up to you.
>>
>>2375147
>You in the US?
The Netherlands
>>
Does anyone know what the job market is like in the US? Or which countries have the most demand for it?
>>
File: drill.jpg (2MB, 1163x1540px) Image search: [Google]
drill.jpg
2MB, 1163x1540px
makitaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
File: makita.jpg (2MB, 1551x1186px) Image search: [Google]
makita.jpg
2MB, 1551x1186px
makittaaaaaaa
>>
>>2365650
>>2365476

There's industrial design which appeals to more concrete/functionality people. Then there's transportation design which is all about speed forms and making pretty things.
>>
>>2376335

*product design

Industrial design does have sub disciplines like furniture and whatnot that might appeal to different people.
>>
>>2376335
The thing about transportation design is that it's nearly impossible to get a job there. Think about how many reputable car companies there are, then think about how Manu people they'll need just for designs. Maybe 30-40 if their a huge company but often times even less than that. And on top of that when somebody is lucky enough to get hired, the companies gonna keep them for a little no time. So that further limits the job pool. It's not impossible to get a job in automotive design, but it's damn near close.

>>2371238
>>2367878
>>2367809
Could you guys post some of your work or like a portfolio? Just curious.
>>
>>2376300
>>2376302
what is this?
>>
>>2363036
You know, society will literally kill itself without all the useless stuff it does.
>>
>>2363036
>implying industrial design isn't useful
>>
ID seems too competitive
>>
>>2379883
not if you work hard
>>
>>2376542
To add to this guy, transportation design is typically done in larger teams where you'll have to work your way up to design something 'meaningful', provided you get hired in the first place (which is extremely difficult, like others mentioned before). By the time you get to design exteriors you'll have decades of designing valve caps, ashtrays, door handles, car trunks, brake handles and whatnot behind you, and you'll still have to outclass your peers and fit the company's general vision of aesthetics if you want to do something as front-up as wheel rims, dashboards or the exterior itself.
Seriously, it's like going into animation because you insist on directing a movie for Pixar in the future. Sure, you can try, but it's not a realistic goal for anyone.
>>
I majored in Electrical Engineering, and now I do industrial design because nobody else at the company knows how to. Shit's pretty cash. I'm just figuring this shit out as I go. I know how to use all the machinery we have, so I know what not to design into the parts, which I imagine is the most important part of industrial design. Shit's gotta get built, after all.

So my advice is: if you want to learn industrial design, learn about industry first. Nobody wants to get punched by a machinist. They have strong arms.
>>
What book teaches you how to sketch technical things if you have literally 0 drawing skills?
>>
>>2384331
Start with Scott robertsons perspective book and then move onto a book called sketching the basics. That author has a couple of books on the subject so you can keep moving on from there.
>>
>>2384770
I recommend norlings book before Scott's.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.