[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How big of a deal is ego with getting better at your art? I've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Al-Parker-02.jpg (1MB, 1180x783px) Image search: [Google]
Al-Parker-02.jpg
1MB, 1180x783px
How big of a deal is ego with getting better at your art?

I've found that some of the worst artists in my class have some of the biggest egos around and are incredibly touchy if you give any kind of advice, actually, most art students I know are like this to some degree or another.

On the other hand, most professional artists are humble to a sometimes disingenuous degree, I'm not sure how much is genuine humility and how much is just to avoid looking braggadocious.

In my view you have to come to terms with considering your work as mediocre or average at some point early on in your progress or you'll never be able to see what's wrong, and consequently, never make it.
>>
In my opinion, It's not about their ego. It's about their attitude. Everyone has to have some flaws and mistakes. It's unavoidable; no matter how skilled they are. and there's two ways of dealing with this. either work hard to improve, or ignore it.
That why most of pros always tries to see criticism as... well, criticism. because their main focus is to improve. not reinforce their feeling about their problem. however, some people just fail to see that. they react emotionally, cuz that's exactly how they convey their flaws.
>>
The more humble (i.e. beta) you are, the easier you take it in the ass when it comes to critique. You git gud in attempt to stop the d/ic/ks blasting your boipussy.

Its really just a way of dealing with it [social experiment]. Either ignore everything or succumb to the mighty d/ic/k (following which you baptise yourself with the sticky and turn into a humble, obedient cumslut). 'Post your work' is also a device used by those who feign ignorance but never get good. Pick your poison
>>
>>2349137
too true
>>
File: schiele's_sensei.jpg (674KB, 659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
schiele's_sensei.jpg
674KB, 659x1000px
>>2349119
It's simple science, OP.
The less you know about making art, the less you realize just how much you suck compared to other works out there.
On the other hand the better you are, the better you can appreciate just how much time and skill goes to the works you observe and study.

Nearly all professionals know their shit when it comes to historic and contemporary artwork, they see all the works that are much better than theirs in different areas, so they don't talk shit and are always open to learn more.
>>
"You have to be your harshest critic but at the same time believe you are the best thing since sliced bread."

An artist without the ability to properly judge his own work will always be shit tier, but an artist who has no confidence will never create anything worth a damn either, regardless how good he gets on a technical level.
>>
File: 1450975521586.png (219KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450975521586.png
219KB, 480x480px
How do I get rid of my ego?

Many times when I'm painting I think about the likes I'm going to get on Facebook when I post the drawing. I hate this feel.
>>
>>2349155
stop posting your work online, draw for you
(this is only an option if you don't depend on it for income unfortunately)

>>2349137
>>2349139
if your drive to improve relies upon peer pressure you might be at an increased risk of burnout, ask your doctor about introspective thought towards why you want to be an artist today

>>2349119
>>2349153
>>2349154
the important key to being openly confident about your work is to avoid putting others down instead of just lifting yourself up (and to avoid absolutes, ie: "i'm really good at this" vs. "i'm the best at this")
>>
>>2349119
The ego is that which resists change

Naturally it follows that those with strongest egos will tend to change least, or only under great pressure
>>
The quicker you turn your ego off and just appreciate the process of drawing, the easier your life becomes.
>>
>>2349155
Keep a separate sketchbook that only you see and that NEVER leaves the house. It helps free you up mentally.
>>
I have to admit, the better I got with art, the more criticism i was willing to take. when I was younger I was cocky and close minded, but now that i've gotten better it's easier for me to see and admit my mistakes when I draw.
>>
To improve you have to realize what you fucked up

If you think your gods gift to mankind you'll have a hard time realizing what is fucked up
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.