[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do normies actually think this is good? Not just good, but GREAT?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

Do normies actually think this is good? Not just good, but GREAT? Some girl posted this on a facebook group and asked for honest opinions if it was good enough to give away as a gift, and added that she was a beginner.

I told her that I didn't understand why you would give away a drawing if you're just a beginner, but everyone one else was RAVING over how good it was. "looks amazing!" "wow, that's great!! I'd love that as a gift!!" both men and women. Predicatbly one white knight popped up and said I was just jealous and that she shouldn't listen to "the haters" and reassured her that she in fact just made a masterpiece. What the fuck are people legit retarded? I'm honestly stunned.
>>
the problem isn't with the drawing op, it's with you

someone getting compliments and positive reaction doesn't take away from you. it shouldn't affect you so deeply. why do you care what other people do focus on yourself. this sort of negative behaviour will only be detrimental in life
>>
>>2333703

Never said it takes anything away from me. I'm happy for other people getting praise if they deserve it. Fuck off with your pseudo pop psychology bullshit and answer the question instead. Do these people actually think this is good or are they just engaging in tribal hugbox behavior?
>>
>>2333701

in the case of females apply the following formula:

60% of her likes are based on her looks
20% of her likes are based on friends/social support

so you can multiply her likes by 0.2 and you have a normalized value.

female privilege.
>>
>>2333706
It clearly upsets you, you'd do better not to worry about this kind of shit.
>>
stop being an autist
>>
>>2333701
But...OP this IS good.
>>
>>2333716
>>2333717
Quit samefagging

Also. This is deeply concerning in the art community as it shows people's lowering expectations in art and a decline in the quality of modern art.

Yes I hate it when terrible artists like Friday kahlo get praise
>>
>>2333701
this seems to be traced off a photo or something
>>
>>2333701
honestly OP you're a cynical fucktard who was also once a beginner, if not currently
>>
>>2333701
>What the fuck are people legit retarded?
No, they realize this is shit.

They just don't want to discourage a beginner who probably put some real effort into this.
>>
>>2333701
Dude... dude... I was about to tell you to fuck off t b h, but I'm going to answer clearly your question.

Yes, normies are extremely tasteless and would never ever tell apart a Singer Sargent from a Rembrandt. Yes, normies are kinda stupid, yes normies are easily impressed. Yes, even your most beginner work would get them crazy.

Now that you're aware that you don't want to impress normies but yourself...

/thread
>>
>>2333701
Tell her to read the sticky
>>
>>2333701
jesus christ your pathetic op, i mean seriously, I think you need to take a step back from /ic/ and realize that you're being an elitist, pretentious, cuck. Let people enjoy something that you obviously have to pretend to like.
>>
What makes a good art for normies is totally different than what makes a good art for artists.

Yes, a normie can recognize that a Sargent painting looks nice, but at the same time, it doesn't appeal to them.

Sometimes, it's really good to understand how normies function, what they like to see, just look at Sakimichan, she's one of the best capturing that.
>>
>>2333815
>Yes, normies are extremely tasteless and would never ever tell apart a Singer Sargent from a Rembrandt.
I agree that normies lack taste and have shit visual literacy, but would they seriously not be able to tell apart Rembrandt and Sargent? I think they could. Stylistically they are so far apart. They probably couldn't say Sargent was better than a generic 19th century portrait painter, but they could tell him apart just visually from Rembrandt. Or so I would assume. I would be interested in someone testing these things out.
>>
I guarantee you a majority of people saying how great it is realize its mediocrity.
The thing is, it's generally socially unacceptable to go around going "your art is shit" in most places that aren't geared for critique.
Like damn OP have you ever seen how women behave on facebook? Have you ever seen any of those screencaps of horribly disfigured people posting portraits and everyone going "you're so beautiful! :)" "WOW gorgeous!" "omg I love your hair!!!"
It's what they do. It's 'nice' and it's uncontroversial. It doesn't rock the boat. You might have a social impairment if you don't understand this.
>>
>>2333815
>Yes, normies are extremely tasteless and would never ever tell apart a Singer Sargent from a Rembrandt.

Which is extremely ironic considering most artists work direct or indirectly for normies.

I mean, even if you work for a company instead of doing private commissions, your work will probably be used in a product for normies.
>>
Actually I'm very encouraging towards beginners if they ask for help which is more than can be said for the average user on this board. I have no patience pandering to delusional "you go girl" bullshit, though. As an adult you'd have to be pretty narcissistic to want to give away a drawing if you can't draw. If she posted the same drawing just for fun I would have no problem with it.
>>
>>2333703
You could apply the same logic to your comment.

Anyway, op, from what I understand the less you know about something, the more you THINK you know about something. The kinds of people that think this is a great picture are also the kinds of people that think all art consists of nothing more andy warhols and jackson pollocks. In their minds, they're passively aware that people actually make and have made the kinds of paintings you and I find to be "good" but it just doesn't factor into their thought process because they aren't made aware of it.

I had a conversation with someone once about this very subject she just assumed that people don't make art like they did hundreds of years ago. I asked her what she thought about comic book art or promotional paintings and from what I gather she just hadn't thought about it before.
>>
>>2333707
>it's the female boogey-mans fault that I can't gain popularity on social networks.
>>
Tell her she needs more Loomis
>>
>>2334083
no, but being a cute girl in any activity can allow you to get hollow praise, mostly because dudes want to fuck you and so they'll compliment you in vain hope of getting in your vagina.
>>
>>2334062
>I asked her what she thought about comic book art or promotional paintings and from what I gather she just hadn't thought about it before.

So much this. I recently started sketching, and if nothing else, it's made me appreciate all the art I see on a daily basis that beautifies the world around me, art that I, like this person, wouldn't have never paid any mind, assuming it just popped out of thin air or something.
>>
>>2334351
still won't be getting the commish money like that. try harder
>>
You also have to keep in mind that the people who are supporting her are her friends and family, not anonymous people on chinese image boards
>>
>>2333828
This
>>
>>2333701
Someone needs a hug. Seriously, what the fuck did your parents do to you to make you get upset when someone else has kind words said to them?
>>
>>2333882
He DOES have a social impairment.
>>
>>2334361
Thirsty betas will absolutely overpay for shoddy work if that means they'll get a teensy bit of attention from le artist Stacy
>>
>>2333703
this

>>2333706
Furthering the impression that you're a twat.
Don't act like you've never been impressed by things that are unremarkable to the proficient. In fact, you probably like a lot of music and literature that seems pretty shallow and stupid to masterful composers and authors but you don't see Jean-Paul Sartre hunting down people's poetry on facebook and bitching about how many likes they're getting. grow up.
>>
>>2333730

You aren't part of any kind of "art community" certainly not reputable professionals in the creative industries.

Don't try and speak for them.
>>
>>2333701
probably some 13 year old girl
>>
>>2333707
So you admit that men are, truly, unable to judge art objectively.
>>
>>2333706

I don't think you appreciate how undiscerning the average person is.
Especially when it comes to people they know (even if it's just through Facebook). If they were shown the same image on a billboard or something, they'd probably think "who the fuck thought that looked good?" but seeing it come from someone you interact with it suddenly elevates it to "holy shit, it's like I'm having coffee with Johnny Depp" status. Plus general politeness - obviously you're not going to hold someone you know to the same standards as a professional, so any old shit they manage to crank out will automatically exceed expectations.
It pretty much comes down to "You're better than me, I can barely draw a stick figure!" It's impressive by default.

And I'm not saying this as an elitist. I've drawn much, much worse stuff and been given the same sort of praise.

As eye-rolling as it is to see your comment referred to as 'hating', at the end of the day, your comment was simply out of place. If she'd wanted critique, she would have gone to artists. She wanted shallow reassurance and praise, so she went to Facebook.
>>
>>2333879

Some people can't tell Africa and South America apart on a map. Sure, it's obvious as fuck if you take a minute to think about it, but most people don't have a minute to think about shit they don't give a rats ass about at the risk of pushing out information they need.
I'm sure you and I have millions of little blind spots that are stupidly obvious to a relevant hobbyist.
>>
>>2333701
IMPRESSIONISM
>>
>>2334522
>what is reading comprehension
>>
File: IMG_4294.gif (42KB, 355x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4294.gif
42KB, 355x266px
>>2333889
>most artists work direct or indirectly for normies
>most artists (/ic/ included) aren't top notch tier, so they work for normies
>>
>>2333701
What exactly is wrong about giving away a picture in OP-post as a gift?
I mean, really, as far as useless gifts go — "meh" small objects that did not cost too much are a solid choice.
>>
>>2333701
I'm not sure. But I think it's a combination of comparing it to your own skill, and just being a decent person. Like, if you legit thing that you are worse than for example OP's pic, you might automatically think that it is good. I think that's usually the case for, for example, children. And to tell a friend who actually tries to do good, that they are shit, is just mean and you shouldn't do that.
>>
File: 1442401522179.jpg (309KB, 960x1287px) Image search: [Google]
1442401522179.jpg
309KB, 960x1287px
thats a fucking master piece whats wrong with out faggots
>>
>>2333889
>>2335114
It's funny indeed, because /ic/ is possibly one of the most snobbish, elitist and pretentious art communities I've seem in the internet, yet, everything they hate so much is what make other artists wealthy.
>>
File: 1449984914439.jpg (109KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1449984914439.jpg
109KB, 900x900px
>>2333862
>>
File: sleeping pika.jpg (222KB, 937x763px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping pika.jpg
222KB, 937x763px
I posted this to my FB a few weeks back and it's got a tonne of likes. It's not even a piece i took a lot of time on. I don't get it.
It's grating to hear people spout "Your art is so good! You should get a Patreon and sell your art!" as if it's super easy.
>>
>>2333802
This.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.