[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did the crusaders think of the Muslims? Did they have specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: crusades.jpg (73KB, 475x284px) Image search: [Google]
crusades.jpg
73KB, 475x284px
What did the crusaders think of the Muslims?
Did they have specific opinions about Arabs, Persians and the Turks?
What are some good materials to read in this era about the interaction of Christians and Muslims?

Also post any interesting or funny quotes you have.
>>
>>677779
I only know of Moor (Berber) and Saracen (Arab)

They had no slur against Turks or Persians
>>
Like any religion that isn't Catholicism, they hated them.

t. Orthodox Christian living in the Byzantine Empire
>>
>>677779
"God what a knight, if only he were Christian!" et al.
>>
>>677802
Hey, Maronite of the Country of Tripoli here.

Actually, Monophysites and Nestorians are treated fairly well.
Better than by Emperor, that's for sure.
>>
They thought Muslims worshiped Apollo
>>
>>677798
Those were not slurs, necessarily. They could be.

They called Turks and Persians Mohamadens, but usually referred to Turks as the people ruled by the Mufti, or Great Turk, or Pasha or some shit like that.
>>
>>677798
those aren't slurs, do you really think the crusaders were like trolls from /pol/ while the muslims were easily offended and from tumblr
>>
>>677798
Turk was basically a slur at a certain point. It still is for /int/ shitposters.
>>
>>677805
I heard of these before but I have not come across any source or coherent quote about it.
>>
>>677779
Raymond of Aguilers was an eyewitness on the First Crusade, and his description of the Turks was a mix of fearfulness and respect. He considered them extremely dangerous and unforgiving in battle, but he ascribed to them a nobility that elevated them to the level of Franks.

Usama ibn Munqidh was apparently really good friends with Templars and some Crusader States nobility.

A Christian noblewoman sleeping with a Muslim was grounds for divorce apparently.
>>
>>677843
I'm pretty sure it's a quote from the Song of Roland. The Saracen knight who is valiant and noble but unfortunately an infidel is a common trope in a lot of Medieval poems and Arthurian tales.
>>
>>677823
>>677824
>>677831
I understood it as slurs in same manner as calling Crusaders "Franks" and Persians "Ajam" or Niggers "Zanj" by Arabs

Yes all of Muslims were refered to as Mohammedans and believed to be heresy of Christianity or worshipping 3 pagan deities
>>
>>677943
Blacks were called Sud.

Only black east africans from inland were known as Zanj.

Somalis were barbar, and Ethiopians were habash.
>>
>>677779
>What did the crusaders think of the Muslims?

As with everything, it was variable.

Newcomers from Europe thought of Muslims as nothing else but people to savage to believe in the True Faith at best. At worst, they though of them as literally possessed by the devil. Islam was seen as a devilish perversion of Christianity.

Things went a bit different for Crusaders who spent some time in the Levant, especially those born there. They saw much more nuances. And although they also saw the Muslims as "them", i.e. people on the other side of the fence, they were capable of forging friendships with Muslims on personal level. Second generation Crusaders also saw differences between different groups and sects of Muslims.
>>
File: sicilian_saracen_archers_.jpg (264KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sicilian_saracen_archers_.jpg
264KB, 707x1000px
>>677779
The Franks initially depicted Saracens as pretty much the same as themselves in artwork.

The terms Turk, Saracen, and even at times Parthian were used interchangeably to refer to Muslim.
Moor generally specifically referred to a Muslim of Spain or North Africa and depicted as "blacks" in later art because blacks were especially monstrous to the Europeans, although they would have made up for a very small minority of the Muslim levies they fought
>>
>>677943
As far as I'm aware those werent slurs but just lazy shorthands for people from certain geographical places in the exact same vein as it wasn't uncommon for people like a decade ago to refer to all southeast asians as chinese.
>>
>>677821
MOON GOD?
>>
>>677943
>tfw France will never regain its status as the center of European Civilization
>>
>>677798
Moor was applied to berbers, arabs, turks, persians and even philipinos (in general all muslims) by the Iberians that mainly used this term. It still is.
>>
>>677779
Same god different prophet
>>
>>677779
I learned that it wasn't personal. They weren't trying to wipe out the Saracens and when claiming the positions where they had to administer lands occupied by them, they were reasonably effective leaders.
>>
>Rage and sorrow are seated in my heart...so firmly that I scarce dare to stay alive. It seems that God wishes to support the Turks to our loss...ah, lord God...alas, the realm of the East has lost so much that it will never be able to rise up again. They will make a Mosque of Holy Mary's convent, and since the theft pleases her Son, who should weep at this, we are forced to comply as well...Anyone who wishes to fight the Turks is mad, for Jesus Christ does not fight them any more. They have conquered, they will conquer. For every day they drive us down, knowing that God, who was awake, sleeps now, and Muhammad waxes powerful.[7]

t. some angry templar
>>
>>678361
>tfw France will never regain its status as European
>>
>>678740
holy shit
>>
>>677779
There's actually plenty of Turkics - most of whom were Christian Turks- within Crusader lands & armies.

They perform the very important role of light cavalry duties which the Knights needed in operatan in the Levant.

Turkopoles. Look em up
>>
>>677999
>blacks were especially monstrous to the Europeans

Can you elaborate on this?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.