[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best language for thought? Can there be another

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: lapo-elkann-port.jpg (139KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
lapo-elkann-port.jpg
139KB, 300x450px
What is the best language for thought? Can there be another lingua franca?
>>
>>672804
I was serving in a small unit. I was still a private when we were raided by children - village children.
>>
>>672916
I read book past, present and future.
>>
Latin, and then romance languages.

German is a good language for philosophy.
>>
>>672804
English easily. We have words for everything.
>>
Languages don't really affect how you think.
>>
>>673459
No you don't
>>
>>672804

Spanish and German.
>>
>>673557
Yes we do.
>>
>>673466
20th century philosophy would like to have a word with you
>>
>>673624
What word do you have for citizen of the United States? Spanish has "un estadounidense".
>>
>>675086
easy, "freeman" next question
>>
>>675086
American. Most other countries recognize the distinction, and so shall we.

It should be already recognized that all languages have their own context and folk script to follow. Muh Schadenfreude is meaningless, in that it's meant to convey a context in which the foreign langaug holds more legitimate ground, as opposed to ours.

But this is all up in the air, and I expect no one to come out the superior. What language do you think applies to everyone?
>>
File: narcos.png (301KB, 610x396px) Image search: [Google]
narcos.png
301KB, 610x396px
>>672804
Spanish

Reflexive verbs make it easy to speak figuratively, verbs with pronouns and direct/indirect objects make it easy to be abstract in language. The 'estar v. ser' rules also add to the ability to be abstract and figurative. Also there are multiple meanings for numerous words and phrases, along with multiple words used to declare affection (ex: mi amor, novio, chulita, mamisita, mami, linda, etc.)

Spanish is a beautiful language. If you know how to use the language, you can be very poetic. Hell, text a girl "buenas dias chulita" and see how she responds. Spanish is truly an underrated language.
>>
>>675365
Romance languages tend to be pretty... romantic
>>
>>675365
French has the same benefits but doesn't have the drawback of making you sound like a greasy wet back illegal.
French is also "standardized" by l'Academie Francaise.
>>
Portuguese
>>
>>675084
>implying anyone takes Whorfism seriously
>>
>>672804
Yes. It's called formal language.
>>
File: photoshop?.jpg (44KB, 600x804px) Image search: [Google]
photoshop?.jpg
44KB, 600x804px
>>675382
I'm not too learned in French. However, wouldn't you agree that French has very little slang to it? Slang is one thing that makes Spanish so beautiful. Only in Latin America could you call a girl "porkchop" and have it be romantic.

Also: Latinas/Spanish girls >>> "French" "girls"
>>
>>672804
>Can there be another lingua franca?
gee, I wonder what language we're all speaking right now.
>>
>>675684
Every language has slang nimrod.
>>
>>675382

Va te faire foutre, French is the most overrated language on the planet.
>>
EspaƱol
>>
>>675684
There's a french term of endearment for a girl that roughly translates as little sow.
>>
>>675365
Better than Italian or Portuguese?
>>
File: 120px-Earth_symbol.svg.png (3KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
120px-Earth_symbol.svg.png
3KB, 120x120px
>>672804

Symbolism is direct
Language is proxy
>>
>>672804

You don't think in words, but in images and in abstractions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ljEBkCeMQ
>>
>>673624
What about "The day after tommorow", you don't have a single word for that iirc
>>
>>673624
Whats schadenfreude in english?
>>
>>677268
Poopiewinkles.
>>
>>677265
Overmorrow.
>>
>>676870
Not him but Italian always seemed like a mixed bag to me. Reading it is fine, but hearing it spoken I often find obnoxious. The musical pitches are just too much.
>>
>>677420
It's pretty much the best language for singing.

Singing coaches will tell you Italian naturally trains your mouth for proper technique.
>>
>>672804
What about this one:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithkuil
>>
>>673624
That's silly. You don't have word for everything, at best you can describe it using several English word.
What's the word for having your eyes shut?
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 805x648px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 805x648px
>>672804
English
>>
As a Swede I'm really fond of the compounding of nouns in Swedish and German.
If you need to describe some complicated, just slap the qualities onto the base noun and you've got a long and complicated word but it's obvious what it means.
>>
File: 1455021516511.jpg (22KB, 533x477px) Image search: [Google]
1455021516511.jpg
22KB, 533x477px
>>673466
>>
>>672804
The eternal French will always be there for you /his/, just embrace it
Also
>I speak German to my horse and Spanish to God
>>
>>677597
I feel the same way. It's great to be able to make up your own words. :^)
>>
>>677609
>>675382
French would be good if the orthography wasn't made by a bunch of fucking assmonkeys.
>>673450
I'm not sure about thinking in it feels, but Latin (at least in the forms that aren't lost) is an awful lingua franca. It's way too complex. Even English is more suitable as a lingua franca than Classical Latin, honestly. Again, I don't know how Vulgar Latin sounded, so I can't be quite sure.
>>672804
Spanish, like >>675365 said. It's simple for a Romance language, but just as poetic and meaningful as the rest. And as long as it isn't spoken by Puerto Ricans, it can actually sound really beautiful.
>>
>>676895
you calling me autistic?
>>
>>677268
scathefrith
>>
>>672804
We should learn PIE desu
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.