[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

German Military Infatuation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15

Why is the American military so infatuated with the Germans of WW2?
>>
What wasn't already in their manuals, they got it from the Germans'.
>>
File: von Braun.png (656KB, 1134x800px) Image search: [Google]
von Braun.png
656KB, 1134x800px
>>623386
Who wouldn't be?
>>
>>623386

Best selling book to American servicemen overseas is about Nazis escaping to fight in Vietnam,
>>
>>623386

>The U.S. Military's German Fetish
http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175208/
>>
They're the most competent fighting force of the past 100 years. Most military fags probably have some sort of hard on for the Wehrmacht. Marines are retards so they probably think of themselves as the Waffen-SS.
>>
>>623386
Mayhaps it's because most european decendents are german?
>>
>>623386
Nazis were cool as fuck, there's little to discuss.
>>
>>623386
Best discipline and morale of any modern fighting force.

>inb4 inevitable 'le germans overrated huehue stormfag'
>>
>>623589
German-American here, can confirm, am Nazi sleeper cell
>>
>>623589
Despite your autism chart, German Americans are only like 1/3 of the white American population. And btw most Americans don't give a shit about having German ancestry
>>
>>623700
>German Americans are only like 1/3 of the white American population
It's more like 17%, but that's actually a pretty huge amount when you think about it
>>
>>623589
Those are shitty flyover states tho
>>
>>623733
COASTIES GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>623386

I like how they went with the absolutely piss poor excuse that they thought it stood for Scout Snipers,

Not one of them had every just looked at the pictures in a WW2 book or saw a WW2 movie.
>>
>>623733
If you exclude the great lakes region then yeah they're shit

But that area (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio) is beautiful.
>>
>>623386
It's the only real enemy they ever fought
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 750x750px
>>623386
High rates of single motherhood cause Americans to assume manliness is overcompensating.
>>
>>623589
>land area = population fallacy

don't worry, I blame your brains, not yourself as a person
>>
>>623782
that does explain the link doesnt it
>>
>>623749
Eh I'm from Illinois and you can leave it off a list of beautiful places.

That said if you like prairie land it is nice (I do), but most don't. Down south it is beautiful country too but the city and miles of suburbs are a shitstain.
>>
>American military infatuated with the Germans of WW2
Am I missing something?
>>
German war strategy and tactics was highly effective in World War 2. To knock a major European nation out of a fight in 3 weeks was unheard of, seeing as France endured all of World War 1 only to fold like paper under the Nazis, it was a rush to see who could emulate it first, or counter the blitzkrieg the quickest.

Germany developed the tactics for a "perfect war", but didn't have the manpower and resources to achieve that perfect victory against the titanic Soviet Union.

The United States however, does. and takes from the German warbook and gives it everything it lacked in terms of resources, speed of transporting resources, and effective frontline firepower and air superiority.

the most stark example of US blitzkrieg practice was the 2 Gulf Wars so far, capturing Iraq in under 3 weeks without losing so much as 800 men. So yes, infatuation with German military tactics is present because it fucking works, and works especially well when you have more military resources than the next 20 nations in the world combined.
>>
>>623823
He thinks that because a few neo nazis posed for a picture while in the military that the whole US military is germanboo
>>
File: ss.jpg (16KB, 300x193px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
16KB, 300x193px
>muh ss
>>
>>623746
Source? I think that it is more likely that they were repurposing it for scout snipers because it was cool.
>>
File: rommelbradley.jpg (65KB, 1233x725px) Image search: [Google]
rommelbradley.jpg
65KB, 1233x725px
>>623386

>not taping pictures of rommel in your bradley likes a pinup girl
>>
File: ssmaxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ssmaxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>623394
>What wasn't already in their manuals, they got it from the Germans
>>623423
>They're the most competent fighting force of the past 100 years
>>623593
>Nazis were cool as fuck
>>623687
>Best discipline and morale

Yeah, just look at how many wars they won.
>>
>>623910
>Yeah, just look at how many wars they won.

They defeated all of Europe minus Russia and Britain... I would say they were pretty successful given the odds. But nice try at the ol' 'le Germany never won a war' meme
>>
File: Army_mil-2007-03-21-084518.jpg (987KB, 1438x854px) Image search: [Google]
Army_mil-2007-03-21-084518.jpg
987KB, 1438x854px
>>623386

Speaking as someone in the American military, I have to express my doubts as to this supposed infatuation with WWII Germany present within our ranks. Most discussion among the enlisted vis-a-vis this topic boils down to "we kicked their asses, hurr hurr."

There is, however, a bit of doctrinal favoritism concerning the Germans. A lot of the American playbook borrows from their concepts of bewegungskrieg and auftragstaktik. In recent years especially, there has been an emphasis placed on the latter, with the goal of fostering creative and flexible thought at all levels of the chain of command from grunts on up. It's probably all moot, since American adherence to doctrine has always remained elusive, but nonetheless, the American military has had and continues to hold a particular reverence toward the German method.

Oh, and also, that whole thing with that SS flag came about simply because Marines are dumb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Scout_Sniper#Controversial_use_of_the_.22SS.22_symbol
>>
>>623861
>German war strategy ... was highly effective
>>
File: Fuck yeah.jpg (55KB, 720x431px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck yeah.jpg
55KB, 720x431px
>>624012
>American adherence to doctrine has always remained elusive
>>
File: flettner_kolibri_4.jpg (39KB, 520x302px) Image search: [Google]
flettner_kolibri_4.jpg
39KB, 520x302px
>>623946

I've always heard that there was a time, when limited in size by the Versailles Treaty, that the German military had extremely strict entrance criteria. This small selection was extraordinarily well trained and groomed for advancement, so that when the war began Germany had an elite core of young officers and noncoms who were responsible for its early success and reputation. They couldn't be replaced, however, and as attrition ate away at the German ranks in the East so went German's military exceptionalism.
>>
>>624012
>Oh, and also, that whole thing with that SS flag came about simply because Marines are dumb.

But it says "the flag was sold by a website dedicated to German World War II and Nazi memorabilia." They weren't ignorant of its meaning.
>>
>>624107
Nah that's just some folk lore shit. Weimar era German army was shit tier underfunded and neglected, Hitler built it up almost from the time he came into power until 39. Actually those troops didn't even perform exceptionally well, they just took the enemy by complete surprise,... German troops were better later on in the war since they had gained experience. The troops in 1939 were green recruits for the most part. The men in 1942-43 ost front were hardened veterans
>>
>>624114
Dumb does not always mean ignorant

They probably thought it was cool because of the historical meaning behind it, hence they are dumb
>>
>>624126

They did ditch goose stepping though. Apparently took too long to learn it.
>>
>>624151
No it was just phased out after the war in Germany as part of denazification because it was too reminiscent of Nazism according to American authorities, though some east european armies still do it, such as Poland
>>
education the american masses about the ezsett.
>>
>>623946

>they defeated France and then lost against the other two major powers

So impressive!
>>
>if their soldiers and doctrine was so good, how come they didn't win the war!
Because you're a fucking retard that doesn't understand how wars are won.
Protip: very rarely with absolute brute force.
>>
>Why is the American military so infatuated with the Germans of WW2?
partially because the guns they used
>>
>>624350
Are you just pretending to be retarded or are you really that stupid/butthurt?
>>
>>624470
>partially because the guns they used

explain
>>
>>623386
>>623746
>>623891
>>624012
>>624114
>>623867
Alright, Bitches. Vetfag here to lay some deep knowledge on you. The Marine Scout Snipers use the SS runes because Scout Snipers are one of the ideals that the grunts of that other branch aspire to and Marines are always all like "HIBBIDYHOOBLA! UMA DEDICATED COMBAT KILLER AND SHIT!" but they don't have the fucking brains to back it up. Seriously. They're retarded. Too retarded to know that they shouldn't put this up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdyN2_GJmP8

Marines now use this guy's name to mean Dumbass. But back to the point at hand, the Marines are attracted to anything that makes them look like a biker gang. The Army is as well but not to such a great extent.

Anyway, Historically speaking, go and try to find any engagements that the USMC fought with the Waffen-SS. Go ahead, I'll wait. In the European Theatre, they were confined to their traditional role, serving aboard vessels. Their land fighting capability was too focused on the island-hopping campaign in the Pacific. The Army maintains an institutional memory of the SS that the Marines don't and that institutional memory can be summed up as "They were such utter bastards that anything that we did to them was justified." Marines just see the SS runes and think "Scary, Elite Force!" So that's how that happened.

In terms of the institutional attraction to all things German, that's to be expected. We share a lot with them, due to the fact that the US military is a Prussian model military. Even the rank of "Lieutenant" is cribbed from the Germans rather than the British "Leftenant."
>>
File: Another Shoah.gif (14KB, 432x226px) Image search: [Google]
Another Shoah.gif
14KB, 432x226px
>>624114
>yfw
>>
File: 1938-Accroutments.jpg (64KB, 636x554px) Image search: [Google]
1938-Accroutments.jpg
64KB, 636x554px
>>624997
If you can just "rebrand" Nazi symbols why doesnt the 45th Infantry go back to using the swastika?
>>
>>625041
It's not an official thing. Scout Snipers just started doing it around Vietnam and kept on doing it.

For example, I guarantee you that everyone in those pictures has been punished.
>>
>>624997
>>625082
Armyfag here, can confirm. Scout Snipers are stupid. It's a job you get through infantry. They take people who they've trained to do urban ops, MOUT shit, stuff where the training is halfway tolerable, and ask them, "Do you want to sit all day and not do anything?" And these are the retards that say yes to that question.

So not only do they have to do all the stupid, useless shit the infantry has to do: ruck marching, retarded "elite" PT, retardedly spartan FTX's, and deal with full hooah highspeeds, but they're specialized training consists of sitting and trying not to fall asleep.
>>
Probably due to being our greatest military challenge of all time.

Atleast percieved that way to the normie .
>>
>>624997
>Institutionalized memory

Why is it that veterans invariably sound retarded when they try to discuss something? You alll sound like fucking manchildren going on a rant
>>
>>625675
Ahem...

Institutional (not "institutionalized". Learn how to greentext properly, newfag) memory is actually a technical term. It refers to standards and practices as well as lore that persist in large, long-standing organizations.

As an example, consider the practice of stand-to. It's the practice of maintaining 100% security during periods of nautical twilight while in the field. Now, I've just thrown a lot of jargon at you so I'll summarize. "Nautical Twilight" refers to the periods of time in the morning and evening when there is still ambient light but the sun is beyond the horizon. We maintain this practice because that's when the Indians attack.

That's institutional memory.
>>
>>625736
OH WOW SORRY I PUT AN 'ED' BY ACCIDENT

Nice try to appear smart tho
>>
>>625771
Really? Is this really that important to you?

https://hbr.org/2013/03/how-to-preserve-institutional/
>>
>>623589
Literally the only red states on that map that actually have a significant population are Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Meanwhile
>New York
>California
>Texas
>Florida
>Georgia
Are all white or almost entirely white.
>>
>>625828
>California
Ummmm...
>>
>>625843
I'm speaking in the context of colours on the map, you donut.
>>
>>625828
Texas may not have the highest amount of Germans in their family trees, but Germans immigrants had a huge impact on Texas culture. The majority of the population ( if discounting Indians) of from the late 1820's to the 1870's was first generation European immigrants, not Americans or Hispanics. They were from all over Europe, but the Germans were the most organized of them. Thus a lot of people in the are learned German. It became the third (and later second) commonly used language in Texas, after English and Comanche. In did not get displaced by Spanish till the 1920's. Even by the 1940's Germanophones was so common that the POW camps that held German prisoners were built in Texas due to the ability to hire local workers for the prisons who could understand the POWs. The POWs who behaved themselves and were not part of the SS could even seek employment in the nearby towns, only having to check back in once a week. Every other week if it was a job that required the workers to live on site like oil or lumber.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.