[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: is religion a mental disorder? It literally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 11

File: iu.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
iu.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
Serious question: is religion a mental disorder?

It literally fits the definition of one according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

>A delusion is defined as a false personal belief based on incorrect inference about external reality and firmly sustained despite of what everyone else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary (DSM-IV, p. 765).
>>
>>602436

The people who started their respective religions (Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, etc) were most likely suffering from sort of mental illness. Some sort of psychosis or schizophrenia.
>>
>>602436

She's cute.
>>
>>602450
Oh of course, but their followers are mentally ill too. Two different kinds of disorders, but both disorders nonetheless.
>>
>>602466

Not necessarily.

For a Christian or a Muslim, their religion is inseparable from their culture. It's like language, or art, or fashion. Not really an active delusion.

But for someone like Jesus or Mohammed - now dem niggas was hearin voices n shit
>>
>>602436
Everything is a mental disorder if you reach hard enough.
>>
Delusions are both a matter of how strongly they are believed (most religious people have doubt) and how majorly it impacts their functioning.
>>
File: 4523332.jpg (25KB, 209x256px) Image search: [Google]
4523332.jpg
25KB, 209x256px
>>602436
>some people don't lump science and religion into the same category
>>
>>602476
>For a Christian or a Muslim, their religion is inseparable from their culture.
doubt.jpg
There are unbelievers in every culture.
>>
>>602436
Also, a mental disorder has to cause an individual personal distress, unless you are referring to a personality disorder, and even then:

>using DSM-IV
>not DSM-IV-tr
>not DSM-V

cmon son
>>
Yes it is a widely entertained delusion. Of course saying this on here will send fedoras flying in every direction. But yes, being religious is a mental illness.
>>
>not respecting the kalam cosmological argument
>haven't read William Lane Craig
>ishygddt
>>
>>602546

>causing a guy to go crazy and eventually get himself nailed to plank
>causing another guy to go crazy and lead his buddies on a wild trek across the desert, where they get lost for 40 years
>causing yet another guy to go crazy and lead his buddies on a wild trek across the desert (at least they didn't get lost this time)

I'd say that qualified as individual personal distress m8
>>
>>602562
That is to imply Jesus meant to start a full blown religion, versus social reform, but that is another can of worms.

Anyways, using the DSM for diagnoses, you have to also have to present more then one symptom, which is why by psychological definitions, it is not illness.

The premise of this thread disregards proper usage of DSM, so the reasoning is flawed, is my argument.

Yes, I have sever autism.
>>
>>602436

who is dis semen demen
>>
>>602436
I think that
>denying the presence of spirituality
>doubting Christianity's legitimacy as a diagnosis of mankind's condition
Has more to do with emotional immaturity and low emotional intelligence than anything. I wouldn't say you had a mental disorder, OP.
>>
>>602591
>no one comes to the Father except through me
>I am
>the kingdom of heaven is like etc.

>social reform
I really fucking hate it when people invent their own Jesus and then either support/criticise that one

The character of Jesus doesn't exist in a secular fashion. Choke on it.
>>
>despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary

well?
>>
>>602878

Thank you

Like I said, he was batshit crazy
>>
>>602436
>firmly sustained despite of what everyone else believes
Majority of people believe in god, so yes, the religion of atheism is a delusion according to your definition.
>>
>>602924
Read the autist I replied to
What else makes Jesus crazy beyond his theological claims?
>>
>>602878
I'm not speaking of the character of Jesus, rather the person.

What about interpretation of him in Judaism, Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Mandaeism, etc.

You surely can't argue that there is one definitive view of Christ when every report on his life and sayings is biased? What about the study of Christology?

The most obvious thing we can take from all recordings of his impact was that he wanted change in social values.

Am I wrong?
>>
>>602935

If some retard today goes around claiming he's the son of God, that he can hear God talking to him, that he's the One, that he IS God, etc. that's a pretty good fucking indicator he's crazy

That sort of behavior is expected from an alcoholic bum out of a mental institution. Not a normal human being.
>>
>>602591
>DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia: A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated): (1) delusions (2) hallucinations (3) disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence (4) grossly disorganized or catatonic behaviour (5) negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia (poverty of speech), or avolition (lack of motivation)

Religious people, you have already established are delusional by definition, but especially those who speak in tongues, give personal testimonies, or "know" their god is the right god also exhibit the hallucination symptom.
>>
>>602935
What do you think he was actually making people eat while telling them it was fish bread?
>>
>>602957

I wouldn't go so far as to say modern followers of religion are mentally ill, but the founders pretty much were.

See >>602450
>>602476
>>
>>602949
>>602954
>didn't answer the question
Jesus was an ordinary guy with all the social graces of a normal person who then did nothing out of the ordinary except preach.
>>602957
Religious people are, on the whole, normal. If you think that speaking in tongues shit is regular or indicative of the whole you are more deluded than the people you insult
>>
>>602969

>did nothing out of the ordinary except preach

lol no

me going to a rally to give a speech about animal rights or whatever the fuck is "preaching"

he was rambling about being God, the son of God, the chosen one, and how 'the end is near'
>>
>>602949
>Biased
I don't understand this claim
IF Jesus was a miraculous human being that healed people and rose from the dead claiming to be the son of God, that's what people would write about him. Luke is the non apostle into the mix.

It's like saying that the supernatural aspects aren't true because they're biased because they contain references to the supernatural
It's circular reasoning
>>
People are so brainwashed from childhood by religion that they embrace delusional thinking.

Not only are they being physically fucked by priests, they are being psychologically fucked by religion
>>
>>602967
I didn't say all modern followers, I said those who speak in tongues, give personal testimonies, or "know" their god is the right god and try to give evidence, which is probably the majority.

>>602969
It is regular for some religion, for others, the regular thing to do is give bullshit evidence, claim certain knowledge, or to act as if your dreams are divine revelation.
>>
>>602977
Name another crazy symptom then. He only had one. You don't get an intellectual high horse if even by scientific criteria you can't dismiss him as a sane person.
>>
>>602982
>personal testimonies about how following Christ's teachings has changed your life is proof of a mental disorder
Too kek, I'd like to see you say that at a respected academic institution
Even the most fedora of fedora tippers wouldn't say that
>>
>>602984

>hallucinations
>delusions of grandeur
>avolition

Enough to be classified as schizophrenia under DSM IV TR
>>
>>602988
http://www.crosspointechurch.com/downloads/pdf_files/pdf_sharingyourtestimony.pdf

Personal testimonies are usually about how Jesus directly guides them and they actually believe they personally know him and can have nightly conversations.
>>
File: smugamid.jpg (66KB, 777x656px) Image search: [Google]
smugamid.jpg
66KB, 777x656px
>>602436
>incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary
Oh have we proven the negative at last?
>>
>>603042
>Christians trying to be smug

Irony.
>>
The irony of this thread is that psychiatry is the greatest delusion of our time. Psychiatry is a religion, not science. The DSM is the bible of psychiatry. Psychiatry was invented as a political tool by the elites when people had become unbelievers in demonic possessions or evil spirits.

The way people are discussing made up psychiatric diseases as if they were true only proves that for most people science is a religion.
>>
>>602989
There is no such disease as schizophrenia. The invention of schizophrenia itself is a delusion.
>>
>>602436
No, modern society not ready for this. May be all persons of faith life or are into subconscious mind, so believe into an evil dead from movie about Ashley near to believe into an old man with lightning staff onto a storm cloud.
>>
depends on whether you define god as a force or a person.
>>
>>603098

A force doesn't have opinions or make decisions or have a mind at all.
>>
>>603098
>>603105
>a person
an agency
>>
>>602436
If god is a force, its basically just a failed hypothesis, like phlogiston, that people still cling to because they are exercising poor judgement.

If god is your wacky neighbor, who gives you personal phone calls in your head, then yeah, I'd say thats pretty much the definition of insanity.
>>
>>603105
exactly.

its impossible for god to have agency because god is not a person.
>>
Of course you realize the failure of rationality, correct? It won't nescesarily make you happy or make your life better, while believing in something that is untrue could substantially benefit your wellbeing.

The rational choice would then be to believe something that is irrational.
>>
>>602450
>>602476

That's completely fucking wrong anons. People with serious mental disorders of that nature are not fit to lead movements, act rationally etc in the way Mohammed etc were recorded as doing. People would have noticed their erratic behaviors even back then, their behavior is not consistent with someone suffering from that kind of disorder. People in the past might have interpreted various physical/mental/natural phenomena differently than we would now, but that's not the same as a mental disorder.

ITT 99% of people in this thread are stricken with the disorder of retardation.
>>
>>603121
most leaders suffer from some sort of mental illness. Most commonly its depression, but meglomania, shizophrenia, paranoia, alcholism and drug dependancy, these are all common traits.
>>
>>603121

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diary-of-a-high-function/
>>
>>603116
Animals, bacteria, fungus, virus and plants all have easily measurable agency and scientists are developing electromagnetic theories of consciousness that can be validly applied to any large system with sufficient complexities.
>>
>>602436
>Serious question: is religion a mental disorder?

No.

Humans have genetic predispositions that make our propensity for religious belief reasonable.
>>
>>603126
Alcoholism is not a fucking mental illness what the fuck.
>>
>>603206

http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm16
>>
The fact that humanity STILL has to argue about something that literally has no proof of existing save for a book written thousands of years ago baffles me.

But then you think about history in general and how much we're willing to believe is true (especially about historical figures) based on what is written with no physical evidence to back it up.
>>
File: 1451973922838.jpg (107KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
1451973922838.jpg
107KB, 500x637px
Athiesm is the mental disorder

-

According to this source:

>A delusion is defined as a false personal belief based on incorrect inference about external reality and firmly sustained despite of what everyone else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary (DSM-IV, p. 765).

-

Their internal personal belief is based off of a false views about their external reality, because they do not see God in any external way.

-

To discredit the religious people as if they are crazy is also to take away of source of information, making you just as ignorant.

-

Because you cannot read the texts and properly apply them to any logical standpoints because you are afraid of God, but not in fear of God, you are afraid to make any change or impact in your daily routine to recognize your soul.
>>
File: latest.jpg (32KB, 466x382px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
32KB, 466x382px
>>603246
These threads are intentionally made to make people question themselves to the point were their beliefs are "discredited" by athiest sources so people will lose their faith in God.

What do you gain from trying to hinder someone from experiencing the spiritual dimension?

Didn't "religion" hinder your science?

Aren't you hindering spiritual breakthroughs by passing them off as crazy?

Yes. You are a hypocritical fedora.
>>
File: chuckle.jpg (79KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
chuckle.jpg
79KB, 620x465px
>>603246

Kek.

>being this butthurt

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque
>>
>>603256
Using terms like "kek" and "butthurt" are also mental disorders.
>>
>>602436
Atheim is a mental disorder, desu.
>>
>>603259

>making a post this bad out of desperation

Oh dear, well you got me to reply I guess.
>>
>>602436

>false
>incorrect

interesting assumptions

care to back that up with some actual evidence?

>despite of what everyone else believes

most people are religious.

What does that tell you about atheism?
>>
File: 26753.png (47KB, 700x788px) Image search: [Google]
26753.png
47KB, 700x788px
>>603246

Atheists be like:
>Oh it's a religious book that doesn't count as a historical source because it is about God even though it was written a long ass time ago

>>603255

Athiest be like:

>kek ur magical sky daddy ain't gonna do cuz we said so

All to strip you of the quality of your faith.

Seems a bit ruthless and aggressive doesn't it?
>>
File: gagarin.jpg (148KB, 900x1278px) Image search: [Google]
gagarin.jpg
148KB, 900x1278px
>>603255
> lose their faith in God.
You make it sound like a bad thing.

Waiting for someone else to solve their problems is hardly what adult people should do.

- your tanky anon
>>
>>603303

>Waiting for someone else to solve their problems

faith is knowing that your problems aren't meaningless, and you're going through this for a reason.
>>
>>603303
People are perfectly capable of solving their own problems even if they do or don't have a belief in God.

See, God isn't going to spoon-fed you, even if you are deluding to think He does, but He does indeed feed you, but He lets you choose how and when to eat.
>>
Clinical psychology is pretty much cancer. It's useful for a handful of things, but it's done tremendous harm

>created the homosexual identity by labeling it a mental disorder
>ruined the great tradition of the Holy Fool
>labelled legitimate complaints women made as a mental disorder for so long, women can no longer tell the difference
>turning wickedness into a mental disorder you have to be healed from instead of a wrong you repent of
>>
>>603302

Jesus Christ on a fucking bicycle.

>the only criteria that historians use to judge sources is that they were "written a long ass time ago"

Non-atheist /his/ poster here who caught sight of your post while scrolling.

Please, please leave /his/ and never come back. Holy fuck.
>>
Mechanism: Mentalizing, mind-perception, or Theory of Mind [75]
Description: Thinking about and inferring the mental states of others
Role in religious tendencies: Intuitive grasp of the minds of gods and spirits as personified beings with intentions and mental states (what they think, want, wish, etc.), allowing simulated interactions with them [25-28,30,31,63,76,77]

Supernatural agents are overwhelmingly described as personified beings with beliefs, desires, and intentions who use their powers to enter into social relationships with humans, relieve existential anxieties, and monitor their social behavior. Therefore, conceptualizing a personal God or gods requires mentalizing abilities, and individuals with poor mentalizing abilities may exhibit mind-blind atheism resulting from difficulties to intuitively conceptualize mindful supernatural agents.
Converging evidence from cognitive neuroscience, developmental psychology, and social psychology highlights the centrality of mentalizing to the mental representation of gods [23,24]. Neuroimaging studies find that thinking about or praying to God activates brain networks known to be implicated in mentalizing [25,26]. Moreover, children’s reasoning about God’s mental states tracks the cognitive development of mentalizing tendencies [27,28]. Finally, mentalizing tendencies are associated with a greater tendency to personify God [29], and the same mentalizing biases that are typically found when reasoning about other peoples’ minds are also found when inferences are made about God’s mind [16,30,31].
>>
>>603332
If mentalizing supports the mental representation of gods, then weaker mentalizing tendencies, associated with the autistic spectrum and also commonly found in men more than in women, may undermine the intuitiveness of supernatural agents and reduce religious belief. Recent studies provide support for this hypothesis. First, the autism spectrum is associated with lower levels of belief in a personal God [24]. Second, men tend to be less religious than women, and men are overrepresented among atheists [32]. Crucially, mentalizing tendencies statistically mediate both of these effects, controlling for a number of potentially confounding factors [24]. Taken together, these findings support the hypothesis that one path towards greater disbelief arises from comparatively weak mentalizing abilities, which render the representation of personified divine beings unintuitive.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23246230
>>
>>603322
No one here is a historian and if they are, they are on a failing image board and could take their "degree" of internet solipsism to a better website.
>>
>>603336

Speak for yourself.
>>
>>603340
Ahh, the internet.. where the last insult is known as a credible source for information.
>>
>>603334
>ONE PATH towards greater disbelief arises from comparatively weak mentalizing abilities

Seems legit.
>>
>>603334
>>603332

ATHEISM BTFO

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>602436
if one man believed in an invisible man it's called a delusion
if more than one man believes in an invisible man it's called religion
>>
>>602436
no because religion is 'what everyone else believes' so really atheists are mentally ill
>>
>>603348
God isn't an "invisible sky man". The monotheists, God is the ineffable linchpin of reality. To polytheists, gods are personifications of things like Erotic love and the Sea.
>>
>>603343

No.

I don't work like that at all and I have not insulted anyone.

I came into this thread because of how much this post >>603302 pissed me off.

I'm not interested in some childish ding-dong argument and I wish people that thought like you appear to in terms of historical evidence weren't here at all.

I will leave you with this, to try and help, you.

http://www.uky.edu/~dolph/HIS316/handouts/sources.html

Anyway I've said my piece, anon, so I'm done.
>>
>>603359
fuck off god fag. You're not fooling anyone
>>
Recently, the "cognitive science of religion" has emerged as a research program in which religion is understood as a product of cognitive aspects of the mind, such as an exaggeration of the normal human ability to infer agency, impose patterns on noise, and infer others mental states (Guthrie, 1993; Barrett, 2004). We suggest that individual differences in cognitive styles is an important predictor of human belief systems, including religious belief. An extreme type of cognitive style is high functioning autism. The 2 studies reported here found that individuals with HFA have a higher rate than neurotypicals of endorsing atheism and agnosticism.

We hypothesized that traits typically displayed among HFA individuals such as attraction to scientism and hyper rationality would render these individuals less likely to embrace supernaturalism and religious belief. Consistent with this, Atheism and Agnosticism were more frequent in the HFA group than the NT group. Previous research has established systemizing (Baron-Cohen et al. 2003) and low-conformity (Frith 1991) as prominent traits among HFA individuals. We proposed that HFA individuals would be likely to construct their own belief systems, drawing on their interest in systemizing and lack of need to conform to approved social behaviors. The belief orientation category of "own Construction" was more frequently endorsed by individuals in the HFA sample as compared to the NT sample.
Caldwell-Harris, Catherine, et al. "Religious belief systems of persons with high functioning autism." Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society, Boston, MA. 2011.
>>
>>603361
Athiest be like:
>make a choice anon my personal logic or the trust you have in your God
>>
>>603311
> faith is knowing that your problems aren't meaningless, and you're going through this for a reason.
Yeah. This. Instead of dealing with problems you find excuses and complacency: "they are for a reason", "they have a meaning".

>>603312
> People are perfectly capable of solving their own problems even if they do or don't have a belief in God.
The question here is not some theoretical possibility, but a degree.

Anyone is perfectly capable of becoming a millionaire via winning a lottery. Except very few people do. The same applies here. While "having God" does not preclude you from being a capable person, (as a rule) it degrades your sense of responsibility.

That said, I do not claim some simplistic nonsense like "nihilism is better than any religion" (and I do not equate atheism with nihilism). It's just assumption "any religion is better" is objectively false. Most of the time (as in 99 out of 100) religion is simply lazy thinking.
>>
File: facts8.jpg (109KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
facts8.jpg
109KB, 660x495px
>>
>>603382

>hurr if you ask God to help you you're waiting for someone else to solve your problems
>durr if you don't ask God to help you it means you're not doing anything for yourself and you're just accepting the inevitable

What's your fucking problem? Why do you feel the need to attack other people?

Are you actually autistic, or are you only pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>603382
>While "having God" does not preclude you from being a capable person, (as a rule) it degrades your sense of responsibility.
The people who actually accept God accept a sense of responsibility.

And you all have God but if you are willing to ignore God it seems God let's you have it because it is what you want to believe.

Sounds like free will.

>Most of the time (as in 99 out of 100) religion is simply lazy thinking.

99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

What diagram do you have to show that 99% of the time that religion is lazy thinking?

Is there any important to the 1% variable?

Of course there is, why don't you analyze that piece of data.
>>
>>603394

>why do you feel the need to express your opinion
>why that is just like personally attacking people, something you shouldn't do
>you're autistic and retarded
>>
>>602454
U think OP put her as a pic to try and make point more convincing?
>>
>>603364
What truthful rebuke did you just righteously utter of me, you worthiest of souls? I’ll have you know I failed God to the deepest of the pit in my class of worldly sinners, and I’ve been involved in numerous shameful transgressions on God's forgiveness, and I have over 300 confirmed faults. I am depraved in wicked thoughts and I’m the top coveter in the entire legions of the damned. I am nothing to thee but just another Satan. I will praise thou to heaven and back with the most contrite of hearts the likes of which has been seen all too often from the sinner, mark my unworthy lips. You think you can serve away with your words of wisdom to me over the Internet? God bless, brother. As we speak I am contacting my holy communion of saints across heaven and your love is being traced right now so you better prepare for the Theosis, militant. The mercy that sustains the shining little thing you call your soul. You’re God's gift, kid. I can be all things at all times to all men, and I can bow to you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just while kissing your hand. Not only am I extensively corrupted by unnameable vileness, but I have betrayed to the entire covenant of the Orthodox Body of Christ, and I will plead her to her full benevolence to sanctify your virtuous spirit off the face of the lie, you little star. If only you could have known what holy gratitude your little “meek” correction was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have blessed your benign tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re reaping the harvest, you God fearing joy. I will weep thanks all over you and you will drown in it. You've found life, kiddo.
>>
>>602436

Eh, complete and total atheist here, but not really.

The difference between a mental disorder and a personality quirk is generally that the former is expected to in some way effect quality of life.

For example. I am frightened of spiders. If i was so frightened of spiders i couldn't go into any room with them in without screaming then it'd be a mental disorder. As it is i tend to collect them in cups and throw them out of the room going 'ew ew ew ew'.

Religious people have a distorted view of reality, but it doesn't really get in the way of their life functioning. So no, they're not suffering from mental disorders.

Usually.
>>
>>603408

>what is irony
>I have no grasp of basic English

Are you implying "autism" and "retardation" are insults?

Would you say that to an autist or a retard's face?
>>
>>603418
>Would you say that to an autist or a retard's face?

Of course.
>>
>>603423

That sounds like an awfully autistic thing to do. You should probably get that checked out.
>>
>>603394
> What's your fucking problem? Why do you feel the need to attack other people?
I do not attack people. I attack opinions.

Why do I feel the need to attack opinions I find unethical, offensive or amoral? Well, I'd say it has something do with the sense of identity.

And - yes. I find it unethical for an adult person to believe in god, free market or politicians.

>>603399
> The people who actually accept God accept a sense of responsibility.
So... all irresponsible believers didn't "actually accept God"? Nice.

I guess all serial killers also didn't become sufficiently "serial-killery", if they've murdered anyone.
>>
>>603475

>So... all irresponsible believers didn't "actually accept God"? Nice.
And irresponsible believer eventually repents.

Sometimes we forget God and sometimes we forget our responsibility.
>>
>>603120
Kierkegaard approves of this post.
>>
>>602436
No. Religion is a byproduct of all our ancestors trying to understand the shit around them prior scientific methods or shit that cant be explained by rudimentary sciences (i.e. trial and error, observation). Literally all societies in the planet did this shit

Meaning it has logical roots.

Now pretending to hear voices from spirits n shit. That is mental illness.
>>
>>603121
Jim Jones established his own fucking colony while being batshit insane. Same as Joseph Smith, same as Khomeini. Never underestimate crazy people with ambition.
>>
>>602954
unless he had the power to prove it.
>>
>>603075
Tell that to a full blown autist, you retarded tinfoil.
>>
>>602454
She is
>>
Not on its own, no, but there are several mental disorders masquerading as religious zeal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrupulosity
>>
>>604161
I do not think that is a woman.
>>
>>602436
Athe/his/t shitposters are almost as bad as creation/his/t shitposters.
>>
Religion in my /his/?

Unless you are discussing some awesome historical event involving some religious madman killing tons of people for power and wealth GTFO muh /his/
>>
>>602436

Man, by this broad definition anyone who championed an incorrect scientific theory was mentally ill too. Was Aristotle mentally I'll for believing that objects fell at a constant speed? Were the people who believed in phlogiston mentally Ill because of lack of proof? Being stubborn and wrong doesn't make you sick in the head.
>>
Mental disorder is a term that is thrown around far too often. To me, only really debilitating stuff like hearing voices or having seizures should be considered a mental disorder. Stuff like 'he's a pretty quiet guy' shouldn't even be considered a disorder at all. What, are we all supposed to be the same?
>>
>>604379

>posting about history on the religion board

You must be retarded.
>>
File: 1453611451428.png (100KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453611451428.png
100KB, 500x500px
1. Delusion is not a mental disorder

2. The dsmIV was shit tier, and the dsm 1-3 are basically just medical history now. The DSM5 is a step in the right direction, but it's still a really tough industry. Psychology has a lot of promise but technology really isn't there to accompany it yet, and right now they are cucked by medication companies.

Not really a bad thing, stuff like focalin, adderal, vyvance, ritalin et dexmethylphenadate et cetera are fun af if you know how to use them safely.
>>
>>604380
Nailed it.
Seriously, criteria for a delusion according to internet fedoras is "wrong, despite me telling him he's wrong".

On a sidenote, if that's true, the world is divided between crazy people and autists:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039690/Atheism-autism-Controversial-new-study-points-link-two.html
>>
Do any of you guys know the youtube videos where she accidentally flashes tits and pussy?
>>
>>602436
no
>>
>>602561
WLC is charlatan.
>>
File: Religion threads.png (137KB, 1010x274px) Image search: [Google]
Religion threads.png
137KB, 1010x274px
>>602436
>>
>>603120
Just because something is not dressed up all pretty doesn't mean it's the wrong choice.
>>
And scientist are autist. so what
>>
>>602954
It's all contingent on knowledge and states others aren't privy to. Look at the cynic dogs or the yogis. They know exactly what they are doing and why. Mostly about showing people that they don't have to bitch about shit that is beyond their control if they don't want to.
>>
>>603121
>People would have noticed their erratic behaviors even back then

Don't most of the Gospels describe how Jesus' behaviour was so erratic and non-conformist to the Hebrew norm?
>>
>>603206
All addictions are mental illness, better than just calling it a "disease". Choice is a factor at first, but after a point, people just lose control.
>>
>>603319
Gee, I wonder why a religious nut would have a problem with psychology.
>>
>>602436
Religion is part of Faith, and Faith can be wrong, but it is not mental disorder. For example I newer had been onto USA so I can have faith that: The USA does not exist, the USA is the myth
>>
>>602436
>everyone is mentally ill except me and my edgy highscool friends
K
>>
>>602436
If you really wanted to discredit religion, you can just say that it is an evoked reality like Harvard.
>>
>>609394
I know right? An entire field of science that rejects his understanding of human consciousness and how it relates to moral responsibility? Why ever would he have a reason to have a problem with that?
>>
>>602436

But religion can be a rational life strategy. I find it preposterous that the entry does not even mention rationality. Just look at Ayatollah Khomeini. He's living the dream. Probably fucks hot Iranian sluts on the reg, temporary 1 hour marriages and shit.
>>
all the false religions are mental disorders (i.e. non-christian religions)

i always find the "but what about Zeus" may-may particularly retarded... we know Zeus was a Greek god for the Greeks, we know Jesus is God for huge portions of the entire planet.. i'm not saying this is proof Jesus is God, but it's certainly indicative that Zeus isn't God
>>
where are the pussy pics
>>
>>602436
>It literally fits the definition of one according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Refine your b8 next time.
>>
>>611830
It looks like you are butthurt, that's the most usual way to attack an atheist, trying to ridicule him as being a teenager and stupidly rebellious, believe it or not there are atheist at every age range, so clean you but faggot fairytale believer
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.