[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Euro Flags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13

File: 9WqAlHR.jpg (39KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
9WqAlHR.jpg
39KB, 400x320px
Why is every fucking European flag always "LOL 3 COLORED BARS" when Europe has such a rich history and tradition of heraldry to draw from? Its strange.

France should have the fleur de lis. Instead? LOL 3 BARS
Ireland should have the Dublin harp on their flag. Instead? LOL 3 BARS
Look at Lithunia's bad-ass heraldry NOPE 3 BARS FOR YOU!!

Why do Europeans do this????

I asked /pol/ and got "da j00s" so I thought y'all could explain

Thanks
>>
>>590448

Then, you already got your reply.
>>
The US has the tackiest flag, not even trying to troll. CSA is god-tier, Angola a close second.
>>
>>590448

Because you need to be able to recognize your country's standard from a distance regardless of atmospheric conditions like fog, rain, or smoke.

Plus, adding all sorts of small detail to a flag instead of bold symbolism is shit design.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed?language=en
>>
>>590448
i think the french one might have been a result of this one time where everyone got real mad at the king but im not actually sure
off the top of my head with no evidence id guess that the more abstract/less herald-like flags are like that because of a shift to nationalism and shit over the rule of noble families
but im not sure at all.
>>
>>590448
>Why is every fucking European flag always "LOL 3 COLORED BARS"

It isn't.

Next stupid fucking question.
>>
>>590726
Modern state flags started to emerge from naval ensigns of trade fleet. Before that there was no such thing as a state we know (or at the very least what we understand as a state) and state sovereignty was equalized with the rulers.

After the concept of modern state had spread, people needed something different than royal dynasty or military flags.
>>
>France should have the fleur de lis. Instead? LOL 3 BARS
bait/10
>>
File: mbaile atha cliath.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
mbaile atha cliath.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
the harp isn't exclusive to dublin, it's leinster's flag though
Ireland's flag is the three stripes because
1-green for republicanism and the struggle for freedom since the 18th century
2-white for peace/amnesty/neutrality
3-orange for ulster
>>
>>590471
This. I wish we just used the coat of arms.
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Myanmar.svg[1].png (34KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Myanmar.svg[1].png
34KB, 2000x1333px
>>590471
>The US has the tackiest flag
That place is forever reserved for Myanmar.

Belarus is close second.
>>
>>590754
It's not only a royalist flag, but it also looks solid white from a distance. Literally shit tier.
>>
File: Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png (30KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png
30KB, 900x600px
>not putting AK47s on your flag

euros pls
>>
>why is every flag now easy to recognize with usually 3 colors representing some national values of a country instead of a shittily drawn lion with its tongue sticking out next to 30 symbols that represent some shitty aspect of a ruling family who is shit

fuck you OP
>>
File: IrishFlag.jpg (19KB, 300x184px) Image search: [Google]
IrishFlag.jpg
19KB, 300x184px
>>590448

Many flags aren't as simple as they seem. The green in the Ireland flag represents our Celtic history, the orange represents the followers of William of Orange and the white represents the aspiration of peace between us

I still wish Ireland chose this flag used in the 1916 rising though
>>
>>590838
It's Mozambique by a nautical mile. Belarus is alright.
>>
>France should have the fleur de lis. Instead? LOL 3 BARS

Yeah it's like we don't know why the flag changed or something
>>
>>591031
>Red and fucking green together, there's a reason Freddy Krueger's sweater is like that
>Pattern adds unnecessary detail overload and makes the flag seem unbalanced

They had white-red-white, not amazing, but solid, and they had to go and restore the Soviet abomination of a flag.
>>
File: NETH0001.gif (2KB, 388x260px) Image search: [Google]
NETH0001.gif
2KB, 388x260px
Dutch flag is best flag
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Trondheim.svg.png (110KB, 2000x1458px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Trondheim.svg.png
110KB, 2000x1458px
>>590526
>tfw he put my city's flag as an example of a good flag
>>
File: Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png (165KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png
165KB, 2000x1333px
>>590448
>their flags don't have so much shit tacked on they can draw them from memory
kek
>>
File: 1920px-Europe_1812_map_en.png (2MB, 1920x1263px) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Europe_1812_map_en.png
2MB, 1920x1263px
Everyone in this thread is retarded. This is the right reason.
>>
>>590448
The Dutch invented the 3 bars thing
No one cared because because Netherlands lmao
Then the French revolted and adopted their one tricolor, which set the trend for this type of flags
>>
>>591320
B-But it's said that russian Peter took inspiration from the dutch flag ;_;
>>
Great Tricolours: France
Good Tricolours: Belgium, Italy, Estonia, Luxembourg, Mexico
Okay Tricolours: Netherlands (should be Prince's flag instead) Germany (should be imperial flag instead), Ethiopia (should have the lion of judah instead), Ireland, India
Shit tricolours: Russia (should have the imperial flag instead), Lithuania, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, everyone else
>>
>>591666

>>
The tricolour is the flag of republicanism. It makes sense that European republican democracies would adopt flags that their people already strongly identified with. Germany had a tricolour as far back as 1848 for christsakes. All the colours mean something about the national character, which is more than can be said of a royal crest like the fleur-de-lis, or giant imperial crests. Simple flags draw people together.
>>
>>591317
None of those states (except Belgium which isn't even a real country, but was created specifically to give Britain influence in the area) adopted a tricolour immediately after the Naploenic Wars.
>>
>>590448
Literally, everybody in mainland Europe seen revolutionary France as a progressive modern, civilised European nation and copied it to show they too where progressive modern and civilised. That is all really. Even Russia copied it.
>>
SI there any significance in some tricolours being vertical (France, Italy, Belgium) and others being horizontal (Netherlands, Germany, Russia)? Did Germany and Russia choose horizontal flags to distance their flags from France, for example?
>>
>>590448
Dannebrog was literally a gift from God in recognition of how awesome the Danes were for switching from Viking raids crusades. Then the rest of the north copied us and put crosses on all their flags too.
>>
It allows any member of your nation old enough to recognise it capable of depicting it correctly, which is good.
>>
File: 1430376142677.gif (234KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1430376142677.gif
234KB, 500x500px
>>590930
>mfw this is real

I'm genuinely impressed.
>>
>>591890
>Having crosses on your flag is an original Danish idea
>>
>>592096
Dannebrog currently holds the record as the oldest national flag still in use, as far as crossflags used as national symbols, Dannebrog predates them all.
>>
>>590746
Germany
Austria
Belgium
Italy
Russia
Romania
Holland
Luxembourg
France
Ireland
Lithuania
Estonia
Bulgaria
Hungary

Any I missed?
>>
File: greater britain.png (475KB, 760x797px) Image search: [Google]
greater britain.png
475KB, 760x797px
Only failed states use the tricolour
>>
someone post the african flag in ms paint.
>>
>>592179
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Iceland
Spain
Portugal
Switzerland
Lichtenstein
San Marino
Vatican City
Monaco
Poland
Austria
Slovakia
Slovenia
Croatia
Bosnia
Serbia
Montenegro
Albania
Greece
Macedonia
Ukraine
Belarus
Latvia
Cyprus

>every European state
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.