[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Europe ever sent fully conventional armies overseas to fight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: m45.jpg (223KB, 724x795px) Image search: [Google]
m45.jpg
223KB, 724x795px
Did Europe ever sent fully conventional armies overseas to fight before the industrial revolution occurred? I'm talking heavy cavalry, artillery and crack infantry troops.

Correct me if I am wrong but I almost always see the conquering force is composed largely of sailors and navy personal or light infantry and light cavalry like the conquistadors.
>>
>>587251
Are we counting the English chanel as overseas? The War of Spanish Sucession and 7 years war had troops everywhere.

Most pre-Industrial European powers were more concerned about their next door neighbor than someone across the sea.
>>
>>587251
Your typification of pre-1830s militaries is junk.
>>
File: Alcacer-Quibir battle.png (641KB, 798x368px) Image search: [Google]
Alcacer-Quibir battle.png
641KB, 798x368px
>>587251
Portugal has frequently attempted to gain possession of the coastal forts in Morocco.

At least 6000 Portugese (At least half of which were knights) attempted to seize Tangiers from the Moroccans in the 1417.

In 1471 the Portuguese deployed 30,000 men and at least some heavy artillery.

The last major conflict, Ksar El Kebir, saw the Portugese amass an army of some 18,000 and 40 cannons.
>>
>>587251
The wars in America and India in the 18th-early 19th centuries come to mind.
I suppose you could count the Peninsular War as well
>>
>>587270
>>587281
Well I should have worded it better and said "deployed outside of Europe/North Africa"

Henry the Navigator was leading one of those was it not? Or Dom Duarte.

>>587274
Alright.

>>587290
What part of redcoat soldiers in America were actually from Britain and not locally raised? They didn't have much in the way of cavalry either did they?

Don't know a thing about India though outside of the Portuguese/Dutch conquest.
>>
>>587251
Crusades
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.