[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ are you smart? I dare you to solve this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (7KB, 470x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7KB, 470x454px
Three people named Alex, Blair, and Casey were questioned about the theft of a rare manuscript. One of them committed the theft, one was an accomplice, and the other was innocent. Each of these statements was made by one of the three people:
(1) Alex is not the accomplice
(2) Blair is not the thief
(3) Casey is not innocent
The following facts ware known about statements (1-3):
-Each statement refers to a person other than the speak
-The innocent person made at least one of the three statements
-The innocent person told the truth
-Statements made by the thief or the accomplice are false.
>>
>>583814
*Speaker*
>>
1 c
2 b
3 a
>>
1 c
2 a
3 b
>>
>>583814

It doesn't really matter,at least to begin with, which person made which statement. If each person made one statement, and 2 of them are false and 1 of them is true, we can brute force this pretty easily.

1 being true and 2 and 3 being false is impossible: If Blair is the thief, and Casey is innocent, Alex is both the accomplice and not the accomplice, so that's invalid.

2 being true and 1 and 3 being false leads to another impossible set, Alex is the accomplice, Blair is not the thief, and thus Casey is simultaneously innocent but can't be, since Blair isn't the thief or the accomplice and is also therefore innocent.

If statement 3 is true, then 1 and 2 are lies, Alex is the accomplice, Blair is the thief, but Casey is both innocent and not innocent.

So either you slipped, OP, or it's a deliberately impossible quiz to try to get stupid autists to fight. I'm betting the latter.
>>
>>583868
This. impossible unless

>Casey is both innocent and not innocent
>>
File: comfy.jpg (9KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
9KB, 252x252px
Casey is innocent. She said:
>Blair is not the thief.
and
>Alex is not the accomplice.
Alex is the thief. He said:
>Casey is not innocent.
Blair is the accomplice. He said nothing.
>>
>>583900
>made at least one of the three statements

Damn
>>
If 1) is true, Alex is either innocent or the thief. Since the innocent party told the truth, and no statement was made about the person making the statement, Alex cannot be innocent. Therefore Alex is the thief. But if 1) is true, 2) and 3) are false. If 2) is false, Blair is the thief. Therefore, if 1) is true, Alex and Blair are the thief. But there is only one thief, therefore 1) is false.

Cont.
>>
File: thiefs n shit.png (12KB, 932x306px) Image search: [Google]
thiefs n shit.png
12KB, 932x306px
>>583904
it was pretty easy to solve with the help of Paint desu.
>>
nobody can be truly innocent
>>
>>583914
youre retarded
>>
I execute all three for suspected collaboration with the enemy
>>
>>583814
>>583907

If 2) is true, Blair is either innocent or the accomplice and 1) and 3) are false. If 1) is false, Casey is the accomplice, and if 3) is false, Casey is innocent. Casey cannot be innocent and the accomplice, therefore 2) is false.

Cont.
>>
>>583814
>>583907
>>583932

If 3) is true, Casey is not innocent, and 1) and 2) are false. If Casey is not innocent, Casey is the thief or the accomplice. If 3) is true and 2) is false, Blair is the thief and therefore Casey is the accomplice. If 3) is true and 1) is false and Casey is the accomplice, Casey is the accomplice. If Casey is the accomplice and Blair is the thief, Alex is innocent and Alex made the statement 3), and therefore 3) is true. Therefore Alex is innocent, Casey is the accomplice, and Blair the thief.
>>
>>583949
if 3 is true, then 1, aka:
>Alex is not the accomplice
has to be a lie, so Alex would have to be the accomplice. He can't be both innocent, and the accomplice.
>>
>>583814
I was going to say waterboard them all, but it'd be easier just to shoot them.
>>
>>583958

Ha, I misread scrolling back and forth. You're correct. Which means there is no solution, as none of the statements can hold true without contradiction.
>>
>>583964
yeah they can, check my solution: >>583900
>>
>>583814
Alex = thief
Blair = accomplice
Casey = innocent

I don't know whether Alex or Blair said "Casey is not innocent" but I know a guilty motherfucker said so.

I didn't really think this through, I just assumed that because the guilty motherfuckers are interchangeable and "Casey is not innocent" is different from the other 2 that it was the odd one out.

ok disprove me and call me stupid now
>>
>>583814
oh, and Casey made both statements 1 and 2
>>
>>583974

Ah, you're right. I misunderstood the parameters, too. Not a good night for me, apparently.
>>
>>583986

You're right ^^
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 300x250px
All of you are still wrong
>>
>>583814
Fuck it, this is now a torture thread.

What was the best way to make people talk in the past ?
>>
>>586277
Showing the implements usually worked quite well.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.