[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /his/, I am in dire need of your assistance. I am torn up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG-20150407-WA0005.jpg (481KB, 3200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150407-WA0005.jpg
481KB, 3200x1920px
Sup /his/, I am in dire need of your assistance. I am torn up in the decision of wether to study something where finding work in the respective field isn't teaching or a struggle (Any form of applied Physics or Chemestry, I entertained the thought of Engineering but I find it supremely dull), or pursuing my passion in History. Thing is, there are very few ways of working in the field without having to eat white rice every night and living in a shithole.

I also thought I might as well keep History as a personal intrest and hobby, while I pursue a profession with more appliances. What do you suggest /his/? If I want to go after a degree in History I will likely have to study abroad for my title to have any real weight. On the other hand, where I live the Public University has no real private competition in Sciences and Engineering.

A third option would be studying something in economics which I do not feel is a challenge but don't feel really intrested about.
>>
>>579446
Major on whatever gets you a job. Because you're probably going to end up having it anyway.
>>
>>579458
Of course having a degree gives you an enormous advantage when applying for a job, but the thing is actually working in the same field you studied, for History that means teaching, research or writing books. I don't want to teach initially, and I have to either be sponsored privately or by the university to do research (which is a hard thing to get), and writing books generally = starving
>>
You'll be more fulfilled and able to enjoy history with it as a job. Perhaps become a stem guy and volunteer an evening a week teaching history classes.
>>
Study what you want.

If you don't study what you want to study there's no way in hell you'll stay interested enough to finish.
>>
>>579446
Whatever you do don't fall into engineering because muh employment prospects, muh 100k starting. You'll turn into another soulless and unfulfilled little shit parroting "muh 100k starting" like the martians from Sesame Street around campus to all and sundry because you need to constantly reaffirm your otherwise bland and unsatisfying choice.
>>
Well, if you really love history I would study history. I know plenty of miserable engineers, despite their stable paycheck. (Not all of them, certainly, but a sizeable minority.)
>>
>>579446
Sorry to break it to you but you likely aren't going to get a job with physics or chemistry. At the least you will have limited job prospects unless you have a PhD, and even then there are more people with PhDs than there are jobs for them.

Then again you won't get a job doing history either, and will also need a masters or greater to even have a chance.

You will always find work as an engineer. A chemical engineering degree is a solid choice.
>>
>>579446
OP, you should consider trade school or an apprenticeship/shortened degree, and then study history in your spare time or study full time if/when you develop the means to do so. It's not like higher education is something you can only do between the ages of 18 and 23
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.