[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Succession and Necromancy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: kingarthur1.jpg (227KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kingarthur1.jpg
227KB, 800x1200px
A bit more of a /tg/ subject, but given myths are considered an aspect of history I thought I'd ask:

Let's say in some improbable event, King Arthur made his return. Would his claim to the crown of England still be recognized or would he have to accept needing to marry into the current dynasty?

What about other countries and past rulers?

I know in the US, George Washington couldn't run for presidency again since he served two terms of four years. (Even if he predated the term limit laws)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I was discussing King Arthur earlier and this question popped up. Plus, I've heard some laws and governments prepare for just as strange circumstances, even if they date back centuries.
>>
>>565497
Past monarchs returning to life would most likely be dead last in the line of succession. Titles are passed down to descendants and only in the case there are no direct descendants does it go up a generation and search for descendants again, then if there are no direct descendants it goes up again etc.

Of course since King Arthur is not from the same dynasty he could argue the newcomers usurped the throne with warfare or intrigue and he could launch a reconquest, I suppose.
>>
>>565497
King Arthur is not a historical figure and thus he has no claim to the throne.
>>
>>565516
>Following King Arthur into a conquest to reinstate his realm
>What a time it would be to be alive
>>
William I got the throne by right of conquest. The crazy question is what would have happened if William I resurrected.

But then, he is a Catholic.
>>
>>565497
If Constantine XI were to wake up again then how would he amass an army to recover Constantinople when there are less Greeks in Greece than Turks in just East Thrace?
>>
>>565848
He would recruit volunteers from all over the western world in exchange for a promise of nobility title and land after victory.
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 880x880px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 880x880px
>>565848
He's get wrecked and the Turks would grab the rest of Cyprus.
>Mfw Greeks suck so hard
>>
>>565497
I don't think there's every been a situation in which a ruler who was dead, or believed dead, for a long period returned to reclaim his throne.

There have been a few instances of rulers who were or at least claimed to be the reincarnation of historical ruler, but I can't think of any cases where they took power through this claim alone rather than using it to legitimize a military conquest.
>>
>>565497
Given that the King or Queen is basically a figurehead position and parliament is the real power? I don't think it'd really matter very much.
>>
>>565712
>William will never return to kill the German dynasty in England and remove heresy from Britain

Sad
>>
>>566814
>Remove a "German dynasty", put in another one, and instate a different heresy
What a waste of time that would be.
>>
>King Arthur
Pretty sure fictional characters don't have a claim to the throne of England...
>>
>>566814
>being a Latin shill
Fuck off, thank God we have Saxons on the throne again.
>>
>>565497
It is unlikely, Britain is a democracy and the role of King or Queen has changed drastically.

England means "Angle land" and as far as we know King Arthur was a Romano-Briton who resisted the Anglo-Saxons.

If it is proven that he really is King Arthur he would become an instant celebrity having just broken our known laws of physics and understanding medicine, he might be given some other title "King of the Britons" or something in his own language maybe.

If he returned in a time of trouble and proved to be a brilliant leader he might be able to usurp the Queen or her heirs.

Thought experiment: If King Arthur came back to life only a year later, would he insist that his heir return the crown?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.