[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel when people on the internet pretend to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: meme9470901358.jpg (67KB, 623x416px) Image search: [Google]
meme9470901358.jpg
67KB, 623x416px
How do you guys feel when people on the internet pretend to be a history professor?
>>
Why should I care?
>>
>>561144
Idk cause people act like one and come off as mean
>>
It makes it alot tougher for people like me who actually do have degrees in the history field
>>
>>561205
>anon just waiting for a thread where he can put his degree in feminist history and art history to good use
chin up lad
>>
>>560603

Honestly, if they're knowledgeable about the subject they're talking about, whether or not they have a degree is something I don't care about.

Asses, on the other hand, irritate me.
>>
>muh ad hominems
>>
>>560603
>>561170
There are a lot of people on 4chan
A lot
They aren't all basement dwelling neet dumbasses like you
>>
>>561170
>Bitching about meanness on 4chan
>>>tumblr
>>
Some of the most historically ignorant people I've met have had history degrees or been reenactors. They inhabit the tippy toppest peaks of Mt. Stupid.
>>
As long they provide substantiated and sourced information to the table I do not give a fuck if they are a professor or a janitor.
>>
>>560603
I think it's funny, especially when those "professors" are then lecturing me on the history of my own country.
>>
>>562997
potenzieller ex reichsbürger detektiert.
>>
>>563056
My grandfather helped to ensure that we would never be citizens of Germany.
>>
>>563110
it was a german joke refering to a political movement here. dont get butthurt

and just for the record: of course wlil we germans have revenge on you
>>
Well, no one should take 4chan seriously in the first place.
>>
File: 1452618379430.jpg (372KB, 700x3957px) Image search: [Google]
1452618379430.jpg
372KB, 700x3957px
>>560603
Uncontrollable destructive rage.
>>
>>561170
>>560603
>>561170
So you're upset that you post stuff that is stupid / clearly wrong and people call you an idiot?
>>
Quietly chuckle when people claim that someone is not a historian, without realising that the definition of a historian is anyone interested in history.
>>
>>561238
>>561610

This so much. With the Internet being so widely available, anyone can become knowledgeable on any history topic they desire. That is if they're willing to put the time into it.

>>561206
Kek'ed
>>
>>560603
Depends. There's two ways this happens. One is that the guy in question is already in an argument and pulls the degree card or otherwise says/implies that he knows more than you on the subject so you should just stop talking and maybe kill yourself.

Then there's the guy who will type out a damn thesis for a simple question asked by an anon that goes on for five posts and possibly even has a small bibliography to go with it. Those guys are a credit to the board. For an example, check out the guy who lays out the entirety of Russian history in the thread with Putin in the OP.
>>
>>563126
>german humor

I don't get the joke but I did laugh at the last sentence.
>>
>>563196
>With the Internet being so widely available, anyone can become knowledgeable on any history topic they desire

This kind of thinking is kind of a problem. Yes, it's possible to become a good self-taught historian, but it's not very likely. With all the shit out there, it's more likely to form biases and flaws in your research methodology. You see it all the time on this board.

I agree that just having a history degree doesn't mean you know a lot of about history. And really, you shouldn't. The purpose of a history degree is to teach you how to do research (and, usually, to develop some kind of specialization). That's it. If you expect someone with a history degree to know everything about history, you don't understand what scholarship is about. Research skills are the important thing, not being able to pull facts out of your ass.
>>
>>564111
Trips of truth
It's like how people expect me to be able to riddle off the countries and their capitals because I have a geography degree. Yes, I have a fairly good knowledge of that kind of thing, but I didn't study for 7 years to be a real life GPS.
>>
Yeah I work with a dude who has a history degree and he actually believes Maggie Thatcher did a lot of good for the UK and didnt know what okinawa was lol
>>
>>564111
I agree with you for the most part, anon. But honestly even researching can be learned online. And let's face it, even people within academia are known to form terrible biases.
>>
>>560603
People like >>561262 are the only thing I dislike about /his/.
It's wonderful to have people experienced in the subject of history, but if you act stuck-up about it you need to leave.
>>
>>567292
>waah
>people are making me feel like a retard mommy!

There's nothing wrong with talking about a subject that you're well-versed in as if you're well-versed in it. If you have an issue with someone talking like this, either prove them wrong with sourced facts or leave
>>
>>569017
,>people knowing how to properly debate
>4 Chan
I've debate people here ,when, they couldn't back up their arguments/didn't know what they were talking about proceeded to shitalk, throw logical fall icies (such as Ad Hominems), meme provide nothing of substance and even post the same Damon thing in a different thread. Some people here just don't want to bother to properly research or debate and would rather just try to pull down, troll, and annoy people who actually know what their talking about
>>
>>569091
You should try /pol/ or /tv/ if this shit annoys you. I've become so immune to it that I don't even bother debating dumbasses, I just shitpost until they give up.
>>
>>560603
If the basis of the argument lies largely or entirely on the claim to authority
-->disappointed, leave thread

If the claims are well presented, even credible despite any degree of extraordinarily content
--> very much impressed, stay in thread and question further to develop the theme
>>
Well I do keep going on /his/ so I can tolerate it at least.
>>
>t. buttbusted dummie btfo'd
>>
>>560603
Let 'em dream
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.