[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that even in college level courses, Japan pre-prince

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1446718341270.jpg (246KB, 1802x1824px) Image search: [Google]
1446718341270.jpg
246KB, 1802x1824px
Why is it that even in college level courses, Japan pre-prince Shotoku is brushed over? The Yamato court still had internal enemies, there were powerful noble families besides the Imperial family, and the arms and armor were totally different from samurai stuff. It seems really interesting. Is it because of a lack of solid information on this period?
>>
>>557685
I dunno, I remember in my college Japstory 101 class he jumped straight into Tokugawa.
>>
>>557685
Lack of solid information mostly, yeah. There's a substantial amount, but not enough in English, and sadly, not enough interest to warrant Western academics from pulling away from their Heian and Edo period circlejerk to write anything about it. We're damn lucky we have what we do about the Sengoku era in English. Good luck finding anything about the Jomon, Yayoi, or Kofun.
>>
>>557745
The best Ive read is Ellis Amdur's essay on early Japanese weapons, titled "Ancient Weapons" But its more about known weapons and speculations on their use, not about specific campaigns or the political situation before Shotoku's reforms
>>
File: AinuGroup.jpg (265KB, 893x529px) Image search: [Google]
AinuGroup.jpg
265KB, 893x529px
Give back Hokkaido.
>>
>>557745
>western academics from pulling away from their Heian and Edo period circlejerk to write anything about it.

Its kind of sad that some of the best stuff on Japanese combative has been written by relative amateurs (from the point of view of professional historians). It shows a serious lack of interest in one of the most important parts of Japanese culture and history
>>
>>557745
Go pay one of the guys who translate manga to do it for you.
>>
>>557823
That's like expecting someone who translates American cartoons into Japanese to be able to translate Beowulf
>>
>>557833
Better than nothing. Maybe you could ask for whoever did anything with the monogatari series or zetsubou sensei.
>>
>>557685
>>557714
Because records are really shitty.

>>557745
>>557764
Japanese academics is not known for being rigorous, and while not directly history related, they've had some of the biggest archaeology scandals because of the inclusion of amateur archaeologists on digs.
>>
>>557957
>Japanese academics is not known for being rigorous, and while not directly history related, they've had some of the biggest archaeology scandals because of the inclusion of amateur archaeologists on digs.

I would like to here more on both these points
>>
>>558003
hear*
>>
>>558003
In general Japanese academics is not great. Most of their medical studies are complete garbage, and mostly just paid for to support claims of gimmick products. As for archaeology, the poster child for the lack of rigorousness because of amateur archaeologists is Shinichi Fujimura.

I'm not saying Japanese people are stupid, I'm just saying their academic structure and institutions are not what we would consider in the west, rigorous.
>>
>>558021
Eh? Their medical studies are garbage? You mean facilities or the amount of effort and resources put into studies? Regardless, they've made some pretty good break through in the biological and life sciences bro.
-factors for stem cell
-splicing egg cell genes to trigger development without sperm.
I don't know about archaeology, which seems to be the problem and humanities, but they still contribute with medical studies.
>>
>>558021
Matter of Fujimura before 50,000 years ago Stone Age. Topics 557685 are discussing it after BC. .
>>
>>558003
i think there was a rise in interest about himiko and what resulted was a bunch of people trying to cash in on that interest rather than actual academic research. in the 80s maybe?
>>
>>560203
Is it even clear that Himiko and her Yamatai were direct ancestors of the Yamato? I mean they were in Kyushu.
>>
No records. All we have is archaeology, a few Chinese and Korean accounts, and much later semi-mythological records. Before the adoption of Chinese civilization Yamato was a powerful but illiterate state that was still in a kind of early formative stage. It's basically pre-history, or at least proto-history. You can't expect a detailed history of a place like that anymore than you could expect it from the Mississippian culture or Teotihuacan. Attempting to create one in detail would inevitably lead to pure speculation. All we can do is look at the archaeology and limited records to put together a general picture of its development and maybe a few details about its institutions, politics, or culture, but not an in-dept examination of its inner workings like in later periods.
>>
>>560214
Surely there were good written records from the Asuka period, when they had contact with The Chinese and Koreans
>>
>>560209
i wasn't sure that anyone could even figure out where 'wa' was based on the directions given from the mainland. i'm not too clear since this 'heian period circlejerk' is something i want to get in on mainly, but it probably makes sense to at least claim a direct line from the ancient kingdom. i base that on my very limited knowledge of what the nihon shoki achieved -- tying the contemporary emperors to legend
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soga%E2%80%93Mononobe_conflict

found this after a quick search. the most interesting thing is the mention of light palisades made from rice plants.
>>
>>557762
I want to study the Ainu language....and stop Iron town from destroying the forest spirit
>>
>>560149
>>558048
It's not rigorous is the point. It's not that Japanese don't produce some great stuff. It's that the lowest common denominator is pretty low.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.