[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly how overrated is this autist? Whats that you say, we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: download (6).jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
12KB, 225x225px
Honestly how overrated is this autist? Whats that you say, we give meaning to words and not the other way around? Fuckin scintillating

A whole fucking career of

>muh language muh language muh language MUH LANGUAGE MUH LANGUAGE REEEEEE

Shits so boring

Yeah dude we fucking get it, language is messy and you have to be precise about what you say and aware of the social/cultural context you're saying it in, big whoop. Give me one good reason I shouldn't dump his book in the trash right now. I really wanted to like him
>>
Read it again
>>
He's a philosopher of language, what the fuck did you expect?
>>
>>555115
The reason why he's considered one of the greatest philosophers of the century
>>
>>555134
Man you're kinda pathetic.
>>
File: Philosophy Comics Pictionary.png (4MB, 1000x4500px) Image search: [Google]
Philosophy Comics Pictionary.png
4MB, 1000x4500px
>Philosopher
>Doesn't even know what a beetle is
>>
>>554926
>Whats that you say, we give meaning to words and not the other way around?

It is true though.

A lot of human problems aren't simply problems of miscommunication, though there's a lot of that, but it's also problems of the intrinsic arbitrariness of a word's meaning.

I mean, how many threads haven't you seen where people are literally arguing about something written in the Bible or, what the "real" definition of Communism is?
>>
>>555207
I don't disagree. It's just a pretty pedestrian insight. I agree his ways of demonstrating this are novel and decisive but one of the greatest philosophers of the century? Come on.

>>555137
Hegel and Wittgenstein stans will harangue you to hell and back if you dare misrepresent their favorite autist but they'll never answer patently simple shit like "what do you see in him?" Like I'm not even dismissing him out of hand, but if Wittgenstein's corpus is just a demonstration of simple truths why the fuck do people slob over his knob?
>>
Yes, please, put the book down and never, ever pick it up again and never, ever, ever, ever make another thread about the subject.
>>
>>554926
>simpleton attacks Wittgenstein

/his/ is best board ever, lol.
>>
>>555432
>>555447
>muh child-beating autist

lol buttblasted fags feigning patricianhood itt
>>
>>554926
> Give me one good reason I shouldn't dump his book in the trash right now. I really wanted to like him
If I say "there's a cat in the stable", am I referring to?
>>
>>555461

Showed your hand too soon.
>>
>>554926
OP, your argument is ad reductio.

Read Wittgenstein's later works.

And do not lie and say you already read them. I know you haven't
>>
>>555490
>Read Wittgenstein's later works.
He IS referring to Wittgenstein's later work. Probably. He probably thinks his idea of language games just means "it's hard to be precise".
>>
I'd like to see a good refutation of the claim that Wittgenstein is overrated, desu. ITT I only see autists acting like Wittgenstein berating someone who disagrees with them.
>>
>>558334
I havent even read him but I heard he forced that faggot Russel to quit philosophy so I'll study him just to honor that fact
now as to whether he's overrated or not, that depends on what is it you want to see about him

he's an analytical philosopher, which is more like symbols and crap than anything else, so it probably isn't what you expected
>>
>>555503
>>555490
I'm reading his blue book right now and it's actually very accessible and interesting. Dudes still overrated but I'm glad he's making practical sense. I couldn't finish the tractatus. I'm not too dumb for it I just think it'd be a waste of time to really sit down and absorb it
>>
>>558550
>that depends on what is it you want to see about him
I want to know why so many people emphasize the fact that he was a misunderstood misfit or that he enjoyed playing music when they talk about him being a good philosopher. Half the Wittgenstein posts I've seen on 4chan have been "He's so cute and shy and misunderstood, his autism is so endearing :3"
>>
>try to critisize some ridiculos philosophers
>make some borders in the language and around the understandable .
>spread autism in In the branch

Philosophy> Borders
Nicely done dudettes
>>
>>555207
>simply problems of miscommunication, though there's a lot of that, but it's also problems of the intrinsic arbitrariness of a word's meaning.
why do you say that this arbitrariness is not a problem of communication ?
>>
His brother Paul was the better Wittgenstein.

Not a philosopher, but still.
>>
Wittgenstein admitted to being ignorant about philosophy. He just read some Plato I think. Obviously you can't take him seriously.
>>
>>558839
Fucking Lel.

So I dropped the book. he knows his stuff but there's just nothing that practical or enriching in sperging about language. Sorry bros, I got better things to do
>>
>>558839
>He just read some Plato I think
Actually, he admitted he didn't get or like Plato.
>>
>>558868
>autists can't into beauty

Next up: water is wet
>>
>>555134
Just because you can't comprehend Wittgenstein in a few paragraphs doesn't mean his ideas are shit. He is careful and metodical.

He is not a Marx or Nietcczhe who just write down their crazy thoughts and call it philosophy.

To appreciate Wittgenstein you need quite a ibt of knowledge and interest in philosophy-
>>
>>558334
It's kinda pointless when this guy hasn't done his research on the guy.

If he wanted a better response he should have posted better
>>
Read this shit or be quiet
https://philosophynow.org/issues/33/Wittgensteins_Significance
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n33Ai7MnosE
>>
wha book are you even reading?

witt himself basically trashed the tractucus , pi is his best work

if you think it's stupid, you're stupid
>>
>>560151
It's definitely not stupid, I just don't see what application it has outside of linguistics. It's fine if it doesn't but I read philosophy for person growth and this shit is just ehhh. Not my cup of tea to be truthful relative
>>
philosophy doesn't sound like it's for you
>>
>>560186
>philosophy is only autismal logic chopping or bust

Ayyy
>>
>>560172
>>560197
Your problem is you went in expecting something that wasn't the case. Philosophy is not all continental trite shite on ethics, society, and the human condition. If you can't handle it, then go back to your babble
>>
>>554926
Literally who
>>
>>561127
>analytic philosophy isn't babble
>ethics, society, nature, the human experience
>babble

Alpha and omega kek
>>
>>554926
The reason is because he's a jew.
Same reason why shitbags such as foucault and simon the beaver got famous, because the left-progressives were cool and edgy at the time, and taking the epistemology of a gay jew meant being progressive & left as hell.
>>
>>558872
>Plato
>not the most pleasing of philosophers to autists
>>
>>558989
>This article is available to subscribers only.
Gee, thanks.
>>
File: 1428851342270.jpg (81KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1428851342270.jpg
81KB, 1024x1024px
>>561127
tell us what analytical phil accomplished.
>>
>>562422
>words have meaning
pretty sure ludwig wittgenstein disproved this
>>
>>562422
can we just burn academia down and start it over?
>>
>>562429

He argued against their having an innate meaning. Not the same thing.
>>
>>560197
what? i mean it's not really the point to read philosophy and not be like 'whoa dude this blows my mind!' while you nod along to the text or pat yourself on the back for also coming up with the same ideas independently. the text is what it is. if you can't appreciate that then -- like i said -- it's not for you. nothing wrong with that. it doesn't make you less intelligent
>>
>>561151
>in a half-assed effort to be Patrician
>he has become the ultimate pleb
No talent philosophers are some a dozen. Do something that requires a brain and not just nodding when someone says something 'deep'
>>
>>555194
kek
>>
was Wittgenstein aware of the godel incompleteness theorem and/or tarski result?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.