[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
paleoanthropologists theorise that homo sapiens...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: homo.jpg (487 KB, 1697x1078) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
homo.jpg
487 KB, 1697x1078
paleoanthropologists theorise that homo sapiens survived over other hominid species because the part of the brain responsible for language and communication was larger. this allowed homo sapiens to spread ideas and information, which ultimately gave it the edge over other hominids, and allowed it to survive while the others went extinct.

> better at spreading ideas
> humans literally survived and exist now because of memes

how does this make you feel?
>>
Seems legit
>>
Pretty good desu
>>
>>549159
>>>/sci/
>>
The word "meme" is retarded to begin with since it's a simplified version of what sociologists call "cultural artefacts".
>>
>be Neanderthal
>homo sapiens turn up and start spreading memes about Neanderthals being assburger losers
>Neanderthal gfs no longer want to fuck you because they see you as a beta, would rather ride that alpha sapiens dick
>die a virgin

It's likelier than you think.
>>
>>549188
Anthropology
>>
>>549206
I'm sorry, you're right. There's as much science in this as in evopsych.

>>>/x/
>>
File: 1442380426845.png (8 KB, 157x153) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442380426845.png
8 KB, 157x153
>>549216
>>549206
>>549188
this is literally history you plebs
>>
>>549216
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, ANTHROPOLOGY, ancient languages, etc.

go be salty elsewhere creationists.
>>
>>549218
Yea but some autists get but hurt over 'Pre-history' isn't history.
>>
>>549218
>this is literally history
Oh so where are the documentary records of the past?

>>549223
>paleoanthropologists theorise
>because the part of the brain
Anthropology might be fine, but this is evopsych shit.
>>
>>549247
No it's part of the broad field termed anthropology.
>>
Memes domesticated humans
>>
>>549159
Yeah, humanity is revolutionary because of memes. Instead of waiting for genes to adapt over the course of centuries humans can adapt in years, months, or weeks using memes.
>>
>>549254
Genes domesticated life.
>>
>>549252
>No it's part of the broad field termed anthropology.
I'm sorry, where did this board say that wild, unsourced speculation with no ability to be verified or falsified was reasonable?

Fuck off to >>>/x/
>>
>>549282
Did modern humans not produce art, different styles of tools (including harpoons and fishhooks), more effective use of flint in terms of blade length extracted from the same amount of stone. When compared to Homo erectus which used the same general tool style for over a million years with minimal improvement, the rate of 'memes' 'cultural artefacts' has certainly increased, and a perfectly valid speculation is that the language and communication to be able to transmit these ideas was an important factor in the evolution of modern humans.

Don't get so mad about a topic you don't know specifics about.
>>
>>549282
> historical evidence is only things that people wrote down

literally pleb tier
>>
>>549304
It is definitionally the documentary records of the past.

>>549300
You've got at least 4 steps in a chain of unfounded speculation there.

And there are no sources provided throughout this thread.

If this is the way that anthropology works in general then I'd like to extend my previous statements against you and your ilk to anyone who acts like you.
>>
>>549312
So are you denying all forms of archaeological evidence?

And I was mostly comparing the post 'great leap forward' technologies, with the uniformity of homo erectus tool culture.
>>
>>549312
> having to provide sources for literally everything you say and not being able to have an interesting discussion because autists like you keep asking for sources
> on a south sudanian goat herding imageborad
>>
>>549312
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>549321
>So are you denying all forms of archaeological evidence?
I'm denying that it is history. It is some other discipline's discussion of the past from physical remains. Oh wait, that's archaeology.

>And I was mostly comparing the post 'great leap forward' technologies, with the uniformity of homo erectus tool culture.
And the link from here to memes riding language in the larger brains of sapiens is 4 steps.

>>549328
>paleoanthropologists theorise
WHO

Chicago or DOIs are fine.
>>
>>549336
So why don't you shitpost in every thread related to a culture without writing?

Archaeology, linguistics and anthropology are all related to this thread and are all explicitly mentioned as topics for this board.

So the archaeological record shows a relatively fast diversification of tools and culture (palaeolithic art), and your suggesting that it's /x/ worthy to discuss possible explanations for this?
>>
>>549355
Linguistics people rarely shit post this level of speculation. The don't go beyond solids like PIE, and when they do they self-discipline.

Anthrothreads are shit, pure shit.

Archaeological threads are really minor.

>So the archaeological record shows a relatively fast diversification of tools and culture (palaeolithic art), and your suggesting that it's /x/ worthy to discuss possible explanations for this?

It is /x/ grade to jump 4 steps to memes.
>>
>>549336
Bolhuis JJ, Tattersall I, Chomsky N, Berwick RC (2014) How Could Language Have Evolved? PLoS Biol 12(8): e1001934. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001934

>The evolution of the faculty of language largely remains an enigma. In this essay, we ask why. Language's evolutionary analysis is complicated because it has no equivalent in any nonhuman species. There is also no consensus regarding the essential nature of the language “phenotype.” According to the “Strong Minimalist Thesis,” the key distinguishing feature of language (and what evolutionary theory must explain) is hierarchical syntactic structure. The faculty of language is likely to have emerged quite recently in evolutionary terms, some 70,000–100,000 years ago, and does not seem to have undergone modification since then, though individual languages do of course change over time, operating within this basic framework.

The evolution of language
Martin A. Nowak* and David C. Krakauer
PNAS July 6, 1999 vol. 96 no. 14

And there's another paper, more linguistics related.
>>
>>549367
>Anthrothreads are shit, pure shit.

Nice opinions m8, feel free to completely avoid them if they're so shit
>>
File: his_rules.png (10 KB, 375x252) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
his_rules.png
10 KB, 375x252
>>
>>549373
>Bolhuis and others (2014) How could language have evolved PLoS Biol doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001934
>Nowak, Krakauer (1999) The evolution of language PNAS 96 14

cheers, you are god send in this thread.

>>549383
read the sticky about sourcing and fullness.
>>
>>549393
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.

Posting sources isnt a rule
>>
>>549373
>paleoanthropologists theorise that homo sapiens survived over other hominid species because the part of the brain responsible for language and communication was larger.
This claim is not found in Bolhuis and others 2014.

The central claim of the paper is the abstract merge set function being genetic.
>>
>>549404
I'm sorry, I just reread the sticky. Anthropologists aren't required to provide supporting information or sources.

Given what I've heard about your field and its inherent orientalism, I'm sure that mewtwo thought of you when writing the sticky.
>>
>>549414
I'm not OP btw, just wanted to discuss the topic.
>>
>>549269
ur mom domesticated my dick
>>
>>549421
Why don't you make a more reasonable claim, say, that merge set function is genetic in nature and must have come to exhibit itself between 200,000 and 100,000 years ago based on the creation of symbolic objects? (Bolhuis)
>>
>>549218
Do you even know what history is

>>549206
This isn't anthropology
>>
>>549428
Coevolution of neocortical size, group size and language in humans
R. I. M. Dunbar
Behavioral and Brain Sciences / Volume 16 / Issue 04 / December 1993, pp 681- 694


Asymmetry of Chimpanzee Planum Temporale: Humanlike Pattern of Wernicke's Brain Language Area Homolog
Patrick J. Gannon et al.
Science 09 Jan 1998:
Vol. 279, Issue 5348, pp. 220-222
DOI: 10.1126/science.279.5348.220
>>
>>549430
>This isn't anthropology

"and biological or physical anthropology,[1][2][3] which concerns long-term development of the human organism."
>>
>>549383
>Please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago
>history and humanities
This board is so blatantly biased in favor of history it's retarded.
>>
>>549189
I don't see why that makes it retarded.
>>
>>549300
>the rate of 'memes' 'cultural artefacts' has certainly increased

I wonder why other animals haven't progressed even though they can transmit information just like we can. A wild pack of animals can be alerted by a single noise, dogs ask for food from humans, gorillas like the one that knew sign language can express sadness, what distinctly separates human from these animals? It can't just be brain size, look at a whale, they haven't built land submarines to traverse the earth. But if you think about why, a lot of it has to do with the fact that their whale arms can't pick up a rock and throw it at a squirrel, practical apdatation in the form of us coming from monkeys who developed fingers to grasp branches, as well as being in a position to develop due to abundance of available resources. Look at Europe versus Africa's development, hardship from lack of resources, poor weather, all made it important to build houses, as opposed to Africans I'm a tropical environment where food is on every square inch. Perhaps the combination of practical means to build because of digits and limbs to carry us coupled with the necessity to survive in harsher climates lead to the first cavemen, and later to the development of tools, one of those tools being language, evolving from grunts to vowels, and increasing in complexity in certain cultures, explain why there are different languages in different regions, like the Eskimos who supposedly had more names for snow.

Again, look at Europe versus Africa, development can have rapidly different speeds, and we only years ago invented the computer, there were people alive who remembered life without cars just twenty years ago. We are on the cutting edge of this development if our skills, so it stands to reason that some other animal could have easily become the one with the divine spark.
>>
>>549201
Other way around I am afraid
No Female Neander DNA in modern humans, but there is Male Neander DNA in modern humans
Female Neanders were to strong/quick for male Homo Sapiens to catch and rape
Those African boys were manlets
Female Homo Sapiens were all to eager to get it on with the strong Alpha Neander males
Neander women were based, no niggers wanted
The African Female Hominids all wanted that big, red haired, green eyed, milk white skinned alpha Neander dick
>>
>>552441
>Neanders
>quick
>>
>>552441
OR
Hybrid babies died out with their Neander mommies, while the hybrids with sapien mommies did OK.
OR
They could not produce fertile offspring.
>>
>>549159

Makes me feel like why isnt this relativelycommon knowledge? Especially on a board about history.

people and cultures need to interact and share ideas otherwise they just stagnate intelectually because its hard to get new ideas when youve only seen something done one way your entire life.

Thats why cultures that began to trade, or war on a large scale often had huge advantages in innovation
>>
>>552441
Just because we can't find the mtDNA doesn't mean it didn't happen, I read that it's highly probable that it was just lost through genetic drift
>>
>>552539
Because pre-history is boorrring huurr duurr.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
Thread DB ID: 431380



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.