[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Pilatus actually wanted to kill Jesus. Or did he killed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 25

File: 04lattu3.jpg (196KB, 1432x900px) Image search: [Google]
04lattu3.jpg
196KB, 1432x900px
Did Pilatus actually wanted to kill Jesus.
Or did he killed him unintentionally?
>>
>2016
>discussing fairytales

Shiggydiggydoo
>>
>>524276
he wanted to prevent unrest, the jewish priesthood were more powerful than jesus, so he sided with them
>>
without using the Gospels as a source in fear of it immediately being discarded, lets talk about peripheral provinces in the Roman Empire

Roman officials were told to do very little to seriously interrupt the daily lives of people, and respect local traditions to the extent that Roman Law allowed. So to say, the Romans did little to subjugate the population or force their culture or language, but rather just keep things peaceful, collect tax, and defend the region.

From what is known of Pontius Pilatus, his orders were to keep order in the province of Judea, and the Jewish demands to kill Jesus for his supposed crimes created a mob that threatened to escalate into full riots.

It's not unbelievable to say that Pilatus ordered his Crucifixion as an attempt to restore order at the price of just one unpopular man as collateral, rather than sparing him and have hundreds die in an uprising/military quelling.

If that was the case, Pilatus managed to hold the peace for about 40 years with that decision, until the uprising against Rome in 66ACE.

From what I've known over my studies of theology and history, Pilatus more than likely didn't believe Jesus was any kind of criminal, but ordered it anyway due to popular demand.
>>
File: Ecce Homo.jpg (520KB, 2526x1750px) Image search: [Google]
Ecce Homo.jpg
520KB, 2526x1750px
>>524276
He didn't really care either way; he just wanted the Heebs to calm down.

Basically, his choice was between sparing Jesus and dealing with fallout from hundreds of hysterical merchants who wanted Christ dead or killing an innocent man and going on with his day.

Pilate sinned by choosing what was convenient over what was right.
>>
>>524276
The Sanhedrin (council of Jewish religious leaders) threatened to start another Jewish revolt against Roman governance if Pilate didn't sentence him to death; Pilate didn't think Jesus was guilty of anything under Roman law, much less a capital offense, but acquiesced for the good of the empire and literally washed his hands of the entire affair.
>>
Considering the thousands of people that were going around Judea, claiming to be the messiah at the time, I doubt he even really cared about the one who everyone ended remembering.
>>
>>524437
>Pilate sinned
If you're gonna follow the bible, he tried two or three times (Luke adds a thrid one) to save him. Christ never tried anything, before then he was part of the community and could had made a case in his defense and chose not to. Pilatus did nothing wrong.
>>
How did the writers of the Gospels know what Pilate said to Jesus during their private conversations?
>>
File: 1448553043721.png (1MB, 739x952px) Image search: [Google]
1448553043721.png
1MB, 739x952px
>>524715
The Pharisees sin was greater but Pilate still sinned by condemning an innocent man to death.

Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?

Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

- John 19:11

>have power to release thee

But he didn't.

>he was part of the community could had made a case in his defense and chose not to.

Christ had no reason to defend himself because He did nothing wrong.

>>524738
Divine inspiration obviously.
>>
>>524276
>So when Pilate saw that he could do nothing, but rather that a riot was beginning, he took some water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, “I am innocent of this man’s blood; see to it yourselves.”
>It Ain't Me starts playing
>>
>>525086
>Christ had no reason to defend himself because He did nothing wrong.
neither did he when they were pestering him about healing people on staruday nights but he argumented that time. he wasn't all like "well, you said that, but I don't think so, m8"
>>
>>524437
>Lorica Segmentata
>in Judea
hmmm
>>
File: 1443540803285.jpg (75KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443540803285.jpg
75KB, 850x400px
>>525110
Christ was born to die; He had no reason to resist those who were ordained to betray Him.
>>
>>525098
why was Pilatus such a drama queen? what's up with the theatrics
>>
>>525118
if he was born to do that, then the power to kill him went to Poncio from God. why would it be a sin to do God's biding?
>>
File: Pontius-Pilate-copy.jpg (121KB, 550x340px) Image search: [Google]
Pontius-Pilate-copy.jpg
121KB, 550x340px
>>525128
He was a Roman prelate; of course he was flaming.
>>
Pilates would later die of a groin hernia.
>>
>>525128
>I dunno guys he seems pretty swell
>OY GEVALT MR PILATUS, A SHOAH RIGHT HERE IN THE COURTHOUSE
>Alright fine leave me alone
>>
>>525135
That's a good question and I think it has more to do with not being the "trigger man" who actually kills God so to speak. What I mean is killing Christ is a like a game of hot-potato; He's gonna have to die you just don't wanna be the one who has to do it. If Pilate had spared Christ, the Pharisees would have found some other way to kill Him.

Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!

- Luke 17:1
>>
>>525156
Also, if he still bleeds in the cross then crucifixion didn't killhim until some dude went and poked him in the ribs. And even then, I mean, he came back hours after being out of the cross. In the four books it sounds more likely that he was still alive (through divine powers) than comming back.
>>
I also never got why did they sing so much back then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEzEROSj11Q
>>
File: kells_evangelists.jpg (112KB, 466x593px) Image search: [Google]
kells_evangelists.jpg
112KB, 466x593px
>>525164
>In the four books it sounds more likely that he was still alive (through divine powers) than comming back.

Whatever four books you are referring to, they are clearly not the Gospels.

Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
- Matthew 27:50

And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
- Mark 15:37

And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
- Luke 23:46

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
- John 19:30
>>
>>524344
Even if you don't believe in Christ, people discuss other mythology freely like Gilgamesh so why not this?
>>
File: Testimonium.jpg (315KB, 757x725px) Image search: [Google]
Testimonium.jpg
315KB, 757x725px
>>524344
Pontius Pilate was literally the Roman prelate in Judaea during the 1st century and the trial of Jesus of Nazareth is a recorded historical event (see Josephus).
>>
>>525181
And after he stopped talking a day passes, a guard stabs him and he's still living (or divinely bleeding for unrelated purposes). There aren't even 24 hours between the last time he speaks and the revival, and he died of exposure which isn't exactly instant (nor lets you speak after a while, but I'm open to divine moist throat).
I'm just saying, there's nothing that really cements his dead besides people telling you they saw him die.
>>
>>525128
It's a Jewish ritual that a Roman official would never have carried out, it's in the story for ironic purposes.
>>
>>525194
>see Josephus
You horrible lying cunt.
>>
File: 1443427668781.jpg (121KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1443427668781.jpg
121KB, 429x410px
>>525196
He himself said He would die:

From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
- Matthew 16:21
>>
>>525198
woah, really? that's extremely interesting if true
>>
File: shig.png (121KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
shig.png
121KB, 300x300px
>>525200
>About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Christ. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

Flavius Josephus: Antiquities of the Jews, Book 18, Chapter 3, 3

>Pilate had condemned him to a cross
>>
>"Behold the man!"

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: a man.jpg (159KB, 790x527px) Image search: [Google]
a man.jpg
159KB, 790x527px
>>525212
>"Behold the man!"

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: Toad.gif (1MB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Toad.gif
1MB, 499x499px
>>525212
>>525225

If there's one thing Hellenic culture likes, it's beholding men.
>>
>>525194
>see Josephus

You mean the bit of Josephus inserted by Christians at a later date that was not written by Josephus.
>>
>>525204
he doesn't have to literary fie to fulfill his contract, it's not as if he was being 100% literal most of the time, right? if he socially died, died as a lider, that would be a kind of dead.
Again, I understand there's an official interpretation and that in the end it's a matter of faith. I don't inteded to destroy the vatican or anything, it's just that when I read the ghospels it jumped from very clear descriptions to pretty vague things where you have to take their word for it at a level that wasn't like that before.
It's like Jesus coming back and telling the guys he's back for a while, before that he was doing miracles but when he has to prove himself he just presents evidence that anyone could present. It's a bit inconsistent from a non christian perspective.
>>
File: 1452210041115.jpg (64KB, 579x506px) Image search: [Google]
1452210041115.jpg
64KB, 579x506px
>>525235
[citation needed]
>>
>>525212
>Behold the man!
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: Romans.png (664KB, 2028x1576px) Image search: [Google]
Romans.png
664KB, 2028x1576px
>>525237
Christ had to literally die so He could demonstrate His mastery over life and death. Christ's resurrection is the lynchpin for validating His claims of divinity; there were many miracle workers in ancient Palestine but only Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead.
>>
>>525249
but why did he come back looking like two different people, both of around his age, and didn't perform any miracles like the piece of shit show off we all love?
I mean, really? It's cool to waist food because there will always be poor people but when your friend dies you give us infinite food? That's some corleone stuff right there.
>>
File: 1448622016048.jpg (619KB, 1500x962px) Image search: [Google]
1448622016048.jpg
619KB, 1500x962px
>>525257
I don't know why God chose the plan He did but your disrespectful language makes me not want to continue this discussion.
>>
>>525274
yeah, my language got really out of hand there. I mean
>waist
really? I suck.

I sincerely want to understand the part about looking like other people. When I read that at some point I expected them to consider that maybe it was just a friend trying to make them feel good but they never push it too much.
>>
>>525274
>disrespectful language
>please don't offend my christian values

Real question my amigo, what the fuck are people like you doing on 4chan?
>>
What about the son of god being judas and killing jesus as a self-sacrifice.

>God, argues Nils Runeberg, lowered himself to be a man for the redemption of the human race; it is reasonable to assume that the sacrifice offered by him was perfect, not invalidated or attenuated by any omission. To limit all that happened to the agony of one afternoon on the cross is blasphemous. To affirm that he was a man and that he was incapable of sin contains a contradiction; the attributes of impeccabilitas and of humanitas are not compatible. Kemnitz admits that the Redeemer could feel fatigue, cold, confusion, hunger and thirst; it is reasonable to admit that he could also sin and be damned. The famous text "He will sprout like a root in a dry soil; there is not good mien to him, nor beauty; despised of men and the least of them; a man of sorrow, and experienced in heartbreaks" (Isaiah 53:2-3) is for many people a forecast of the Crucified in the hour of his death; for some (as for instance, Hans Lassen Martensen), it is a refutation of the beauty which the vulgar consensus attributes to Christ; for Runeberg, it is a precise prophecy, not of one moment, but of all the atrocious future, in time and eternity, of the Word made flesh. God became a man completely, a man to the point of infamy, a man to the point of being reprehensible - all the way to the abyss. In order to save us, He could have chosen any of the destinies which together weave the uncertain web of history; He could have been Alexander, or Pythagoras, or Rurik, or Jesus; He chose an infamous destiny: He was Judas.

Makes sense to me.
>>
File: Evolution.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Evolution.gif
2MB, 500x375px
>>525282
>I sincerely want to understand the part about looking like other people.

The resurrected body looks different than the regular body; it's kind of like how a pokémon evolves.
>>
>>525239

http://www.josephus.org/testimonium.htm
>>
File: Let's chat.jpg (46KB, 630x873px) Image search: [Google]
Let's chat.jpg
46KB, 630x873px
>>525292
Preaching the Gospels but I don't have to engage with people who are rude to me (unless I want to).
>>
>>525301
Mh... so the ghospels lack detailes but if they had made a closer inspection they would had found him buffer and with better stats, maybe a larger tail?
>>
File: Eye on you.png (14KB, 219x229px) Image search: [Google]
Eye on you.png
14KB, 219x229px
>>525306
Jesus had maxed stats from day one m8.
>>
>>525295
why does it make sense to you? Judas is on the same level as many, nothing in that paragraph makes him more likely to be christ than jesus.
>>
>>525305
Yeah but why on 4chan. Where people will routinely call you a faggot and post jesusfuckingchrist.jpg

It's like giving up the dope but still hanging out with your friends that steal TVs to pay for their fix.
>>
>>525313
that would had made him not human, he must have had some elemental weaknesses and evidently he had a poor defense against stab damage.
>>
>>525304
>A view that has been prominent among American scholars was summarized in John Meier's 1991 book, A Marginal Jew.

>This opinion held that the paragraph was formed by a mixture of writers. It parsed the text into two categories: nything that seemed too Christian was added by a later Christian writer, while anything else was originally written by Josephus.

>By this view, the paragraph was taken as essentially authentic, and so supported the objective historicity of Jesus.

>For the first time, it has become possible to prove that the Jesus account cannot have been a complete forgery

Oy vey, did ya even read the link before posting it ya putz?
>>
>>525314
Just saying, opprobrium from humanity for the rest of eternity seems like a bigger sacrifice than dying in a cross.
>>
File: 1402242968941.jpg (86KB, 687x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1402242968941.jpg
86KB, 687x1024px
>>525316
The sick need a physician.

>>525317
His weakness is His strength.
>>
>>525332
Another thing I didn't get from the ghospels is where the fuck was judas all the time. They go on camping trips, and mourn their friends, and teach, and clean. Judas is mentioned in the list of close followers and only comes back for the last supper. Even Simon the whatever has more screen time.

And what's the deal John and the constant mention of his beloved disciple. I assumed it was some faggy way of reffering to himself but in the last supper they have a completely different scene. What was the deal with that?

>>525337
that's a bit mary sueish. i never said he wasn't divine, just like he was weak to slaps on the back and got double stab damage. stats easy to improve.
>>
File: 1437069286341.gif (303KB, 244x244px) Image search: [Google]
1437069286341.gif
303KB, 244x244px
>>525347
>a bit mary sueish.

>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>525326

That "new infomation" added at the end is wishful thinking by modern religious scholars.
>>
>>525350
you seem to be a bit of a young fellow. the term is older than tumblr, m8
>>
File: Flaming tip.gif (828KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Flaming tip.gif
828KB, 320x180px
>>525359
I am a sprightly young lad indeed m'sir.
>>
>>525363
>hair doesn't catch fire
A FAILURE THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE. ONE JOB, YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB.
>>
File: ticket.jpg (43KB, 600x664px) Image search: [Google]
ticket.jpg
43KB, 600x664px
>>525370
Grampa please.
>>
>>525360

Only because I wanted a "middle ground" one to introduce you to the controversy surrounding the Testimonium Flavianum.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/choking-on-the-camel-part-2/#testimonium
>>
>>525376
>patheos.com

Then I suppose you'll have no problem with these:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/testimonium.html

http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/historical-secular-quotes-about-jesus/testimonium-flavianum.html
>>
>>525376
>This is very unlikely. Elsewhere Josephus does mention other self-proclaimed messiahs of the time, such as Judas of Galilee and Theudas the magician
I was going to ask about this deal of Judas saying he was the messiah (and I want to hear it if you have something about it), but I really want to know more about this "Theudas the magician". He soudns cmapy as fuck.
>>
>>525205
Yeah, Deut 21:

>1 If, in the land that the Lord your God is giving you to possess, a body is found lying in open country, and it is not known who struck the person down, 2 then your elders and your judges shall come out to measure the distances to the towns that are near the body. 3 The elders of the town nearest the body shall take a heifer that has never been worked, one that has not pulled in the yoke; 4 the elders of that town shall bring the heifer down to a wadi with running water, which is neither plowed nor sown, and shall break the heifer’s neck there in the wadi. 5 Then the priests, the sons of Levi, shall come forward, for the Lord your God has chosen them to minister to him and to pronounce blessings in the name of the Lord, and by their decision all cases of dispute and assault shall be settled. 6 All the elders of that town nearest the body shall wash their hands over the heifer whose neck was broken in the wadi, 7 and they shall declare: “Our hands did not shed this blood, nor were we witnesses to it. 8 Absolve, O Lord, your people Israel, whom you redeemed; do not let the guilt of innocent blood remain in the midst of your people Israel.” Then they will be absolved of bloodguilt.

So you have a Roman official performing a ritual which is supposed to prevent calamity coming to Israel, and implying that Jesus' execution is no better than murder.
>>
File: Christ-killing-monster-jew1.jpg (150KB, 966x716px) Image search: [Google]
Christ-killing-monster-jew1.jpg
150KB, 966x716px
>>525400
>implying that Jesus' execution is no better than murder.

Because it wasn't.
>>
>>524396
>the jewish priesthood were more powerful than jesus, so he sided with them

Why would an officer of the fucking Roman government give a shit about the opinions of some obscure priesthood. The Jews were living under Roman law. How could they have any power of Pilate. If he even thought they were plotting something he could have had them arrested and put on trial just like Jesus.
>>
>>525400
but how do we know that that wasn't a tradition in other cultures? if we have stuff like gods with three faces and musical instruments being identical in different continents, two cultures next to each other might share the pretty normal idea that cleaning your hands of dirt cleans them of guilt.
>>
>>525390

Sure but it is the content that is the important thing, why didn't Origen use the Testomoninum Flavius against Celcus despite quoting heavily from Josephus if the poassage even existed in Origen's day?

Why would a Jew that hated false messiah's lavish praise on Jesus?
>>
>>525421
The point is that the Testimonium records that Jesus was condemned by Pilate. I can concede that the language about Jesus being the Christ may have been added later but Josephus is entirely valid to demonstrate Christ's historicity.
>>
>>525430

Not if it is a fake passage it isn't.
>>
>>525440
The evidence supports the fundamental authenticity of the Testimonium; the controversy surrounds the segments of pro-Christian language. The neutral elements i.e. that there was a preacher named Jesus who was killed by the Roman prelate Pilate and whose followers believed rose from the dead.
>>
>>525452
>The neutral elements i.e. that there was a preacher named Jesus who was killed by the Roman prelate Pilate and whose followers believed rose from the dead are accepted as genuine
>>
>>525452

It seems awfully convenient, this desperate little theory "okay so the passage is obviously fake but if we ignore all of the bits the make it an obvious fake then the rest must be real!"

Why didn't Origen use it against Celcus again?
>>
>>525485
>It seems generally accepted, this academic consensus

FTFY
>>
>>525496

The main scholars still writing about is are Christians scholars desperate to try and salvage it. In truth it was destroyed as a source centuries ago and no one can make a credible argument it is genuine.
>>
>>524276
The jews played their mind games on him. Literally every major negative turning point in Roman history can be traced to the jews
>>
>>525414
Angry Jews are a real pain in the ads

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish%E2%80%93Roman_wars
>>
File: >Antisemitism.png (2MB, 1000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
>Antisemitism.png
2MB, 1000x3000px
>>525647
>>
>>525233
*boys
>>
>>524276
Read Helen Bond's Pontius Pilate: History and Interpretation.

Basically, he was just a sensible Roman governor who fell out of favour, and that we will never actually know his exact actions
>>
>>525651
Aquinas and Clement aren't necessarily wrong about usury, just about linking it explicitly to Jews.
>>
>>524276
Jews got mad, rome didn't want jews to rebel again so they killed a peasant who was to them insignificant.
>>
>>525811
>Aquinas and Clement aren't necessarily wrong about usury, just about linking it explicitly to Jews.
Not really, when you consider that Jewish law says that money is to be lent for free to other Jews but gentiles may be charged interest. And furthermore the Jewish community wasn't exactly forced into finance en masse at gunpoint - as second-class citizens they chose to do all kinds of shit work rather than convert but they went into finance in the first place because they had no religious or social scruples about making money in a way that Christians (and Romans, Muslims and pretty much everyone else) reviled to such an extent that it was considered sinful, immoral and/or even criminal. Jews made their bed as far as stereotypes are concerned; they chose to make money and be hated even more than they would be otherwise rather than be poor but more tolerated.
>>
>>525196
You do know that sometimes they would stone the victim or keep stabbing him until he died too right?
http://www.history.com/shows/modern-marvels/videos/early-execution?cmpid=mrss_int_taboola_video_his
>inb4 Alien channel lol
It's a decent mini doc
>>
>>525686
Naw men were often admired for achieving amazing bodies while striving for perfection or the ideal. Boys were just for that boy pussy feel.
>>
>>525414
The entire population was raised from infancy into the religion and the priesthood wielded a lot of influence.

>If he even thought they were plotting something he could have had them arrested and put on trial just like Jesus.
They were unlikely to revolt over this alone, but lots of little things like this can add up and they could disobey the Romans in other less visible ways like ignoring laws and evading taxes. It cost Pilate nothing to accept.
>>
>>525233
>Romans
>Hellenic

Nigger wut
>>
>>525419
It stands to reason, also, that Pilate would have used a Jewish tradition when speaking to his Jewish subordinates. The Romans were not in the habit of disrespecting other cultures, traditions and religions within their borders.
>>
>>525903
either Jesus failed to predict they would do that so they don't mention it or it wasn't the case, right now I was having questions taking for granted what the ghospels say.
>>
>>525113
Ikr? Everybody knows Lorica Hamata is the sexiest.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.