[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't Spain successfully annexed Portugal? Not through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: spain1789ad.jpg (51KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
spain1789ad.jpg
51KB, 500x405px
Why haven't Spain successfully annexed Portugal? Not through lineage like Phillip II but through actual military action.
>>
>>519888
Anglo-Portuguese alliance.
>>
>>519888
They tried multiple times

The failed multiple times

Portugal also dealt with the Moors far before the Spanish did
>>
>>519888
because they failed everytiem
never conquered, etc, etc...
>>
File: map-spain-relief-1.jpg (280KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
map-spain-relief-1.jpg
280KB, 1200x800px
look at a geographical map
Portugal has a natural border with Spain
there is no reason for them to merge
different languages
different cultures etc

pic related
spain = mountains
portugal = flat
>>
>>519926
Wait, wasn't the English like the French and Dutch enemies to the Portuguese Empire? In fact, the Spanish Empire at it's height could have disregarded that alliance since Spain was indefinitely more influential and powerful than England. Taking Portugal meant defeating a rival in the colonizing circle.
>>
>>519951
> le mountain argument

define mountain
define border
define culture

T O P K E K
O
P
K
E
K
>>
>>519957
>wasn't the English like the French and Dutch enemies to the Portuguese Empire?

Only during the Iberian Union in the case of the English.
>>
14th century: Castilians try and fail to exploit a Portuguese civil conflict, culminating in the famed Battle of Aljubarrota

16th century: Spanish monarchs once again try to exploit a succession crisis, this time succeeding. The result is the Iberian Union.

17th century: Portuguese revolt against the Habsburgs, who were struggling with internal unrest elsewhere in Spain. Portugal regains sovereignty.

18th century: Spaniards and their French allies invade Portugal, repulsed by an Anglo-Portuguese alliance.

19th century: Spaniards and French invade and occupy Portugal again, facing little resistance. Led to the Peninsular War, after which Portugal regained sovereignty.

So to answer your question: the Portuguese were adamant from the very beginning of resisting foreign occupation and asserting their right to sovereignty. They were also consistently aided by allies, particularly the British. People who do not want to be occupied can only be occupied temporarily.
>>
Spain can't even keep Catalonia and the Basque Country, what makes you think they would be able to hold a maritime empire such as Portugal?
>>
>>519966
>define mountain
A mountain is a large landform that stretches above the surrounding land in a limited area, usually in the form of a peak. A mountain is generally steeper than a hill. Mountains are formed through tectonic forces or volcanism.

>define border
Borders are geographic boundaries of political entities or legal jurisdictions, such as governments, sovereign states, federated states, and other subnational entities. Some borders—such as a state's internal administrative border, or inter-state borders within the Schengen Area—are open and completely unguarded

>define culture
Culture is the characteristics and knowledge of a particular group of people, defined by everything from language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts

what's your point?
mountains are natural borders, faggot
my argument remains unrefuted
>>
File: 144755347777.png (229KB, 1284x431px) Image search: [Google]
144755347777.png
229KB, 1284x431px
>>519973
This.
>>
>>520023
>People who do not want to be occupied can only be occupied temporarily.
Well said.

Also Canada here. Considering we "won" (sort of) the war of 1812 i'm pretty sure we lost some land. Doubt we could ever just claim it's our and get it back, back it would be nice
>>
File: kek.png (270KB, 315x1205px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
270KB, 315x1205px
>>519888
>>
File: portugese_territory.jpg (388KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
portugese_territory.jpg
388KB, 1200x800px
>>519951
>spain = mountains
>portugal = flat
>>
>>519951
>what is empire

If they had the chance i'm sure they would have annexed and exploited resources whatever it had/has.
>>
A better question is why isn't Galicia in Portuguese hands?
>>
>>520023
Those projected percentages wtf
>>
>>520325
>muh forced maymays

Portugal is hardly flat but it's a hell of a lot less mountainous than Spain.
>>
>>519957
Nope. England/UK and Portugal have been allies since the 14th century. Britain never saw Portugal as a major threat to their interests and Portugal was useful to keep around for the purpose of pissing off Spain.
>>
>>519973
You forgot about the time Portugal tried to invade Spain dude
>>
We just kicked their ass every time they came.
I dont know why they failed so hard. Maybe the spaniards just arent really good at war.

>>520345
We successed from the kingdom of leon.
We never tried to conquer galicia and it was never on our plans.
>>
>>519973
>14th century: Castilians try and fail to exploit a Portuguese civil conflict, culminating in the famed Battle of Aljubarrota
Its not like that came both, after and before Portugal tried and failed to exploit a Castilian Civil Conflict...
>>
File: Battle of Ponta Delgada.png (192KB, 315x701px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Ponta Delgada.png
192KB, 315x701px
>>522118

>We just kicked their ass every time they came.
Except that time in which Philip II became you king, I supose.
>We never tried to conquer galicia and it was never on our plans.
You should tell Alfonso Henriques about that
>n 1165 he married Urraca, daughter of Afonso of Portugal. However, strife with Portugal was not put to an end by this move. In 1168 Afonso again felt menaced by Ferdinand II's repopulation of the area of Ciudad Rodrigo: he then attacked Galicia, occupying Tui and the territory of Xinzo de Limia, former fiefs of his mother. However, as his troops were also besieging the Muslim citadel of Badajoz, Ferdinand II was able to push the Portuguese out of Galicia and to rush to Badajoz. When Afonso saw the Leonese arrive he tried to flee, but he was disabled by a broken leg caused by a fall from his horse, and made prisoner at one the city's gates. Afonso was obliged to surrender as his ransom almost all the conquests he had made in Galicia in the previous year. In the peace signed at Pontevedra the following year, Ferdinand got back twenty five castles, and the cities of Cáceres, Badajoz, Trujillo, Santa Cruz and Montánchez, previously lost by León. When in the same years the Almoravids laid siege to the Portuguese city of Santarém, Ferdinand II came to help his father-in-law, and helped to free the city from the menace.
>>
>>519888
beacuse spain is so incopetent not even with a major advantage in number they can beat us
and dont come with that anglo-portuguese alliance the brits did jackshit for us over the years
>>
>>519888
Spain is large and has relatively low population density, thus has no particular need for territorial expansion beyond imperial aggrandizement.

Also, Portuguese population centers have always been small by Spanish standards. Even Lisbon would only be the 11th largest city in Spain today.
>>
>>522208
Dude i can also post all the others battles we won.
>portuguese loyal to a priest
Most noble man of Portugal were loyal to philip II. He was considered portuguese and he is considered a good king here
We only left when you started surpressing our language and culture. As simple as that.
Spaniards are just bad at war. Just read about the spanish invasion of Portugal. Literally loosing agaisnt peasants. We were completely destroyed after 1755 yet they still couldnt conquer us. How embarassing.
>>
File: hawkings-lol.gif (494KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
hawkings-lol.gif
494KB, 500x284px
>>522224
>incopetent
>>
>>519951
How come Andalucia, which appears to be part of a lush fertile plain, is the shittiest part of Spain, while all the major population centers are found in rugged mountains or deserts?
>>
>>519926
This. Perfidous Albion and Petty Portugal
>muh alliance with the UK
>muh Brazil son
>>
>>522285
Typical spanish excuse.
Most of the battles we fought with spain we wete by ourselfs and always with smaller numbers yet we won most of them.
When we had the brits the spanish had the french. The'yre just bad.
>>
>Annex Portugal
>Basque Country and Catalonia become independent
>Northern Portugal and Galicia annex and later become independent

wew lad
>>
>>522301
>When we this and when we that
WE
>>
>>522303
Portugaliza when?
>>
>>522238

Well, you said that you are Portuguese, so I suppose that that is the way in which you say "you are rigth, I may be wrong" in Portugal.
Have a nice day.
>>
>>522308
We, the portuguese. Is it hard to understand ?
No hard feelings. Smile because it happened.
>>
>>522278

There is not deserts in Spain, but very small ones so no cities on them.
Andalusia has a very fertile basin, the one of Guadalquivir that is where Seville, the fourth city by population.
Historically it has been a very relevant and rich region.
>>
>>522346
What are you talking about, buddy?
Chill, we're just discussing history.
>>
>>522371
There is Tabernas, an actual desert and places like Monegros or Bardenas, which are "semi-deserts"
>>
>>522383

So you understood, I am glad.
>>
>>519935
They sort of got locked out of the fight, though. After Algarve they couldn't expand further south.
>>
File: incopetence.png (157KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
incopetence.png
157KB, 1024x768px
>>522253
i mean just look at this if this isnt incopetence i dont know what is
>>
>>522554
I don't speak these moon runes lad, please provide a text in American.
>>
>>522201
The purpose of this thread isn't "Why didn't Portugal annex Castile?" though. I wasn't trying to suggest that the nature of Portuguese-Spanish (Castilian) relations were such that Portugal was purely and perennially the victim. I was trying to illustrate the fact that the Portuguese had consistently, throughout their history, vehemently rejected occupation by foreigners. They were determined to be a sovereign nation, and that made them especially resistant to annexation. This coupled with their ability to defend their claims to sovereignty (with aid from allies) is the reason why they were never annexed.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.