[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

File: Tale as old as time.png (621KB, 1396x449px) Image search: [Google]
Tale as old as time.png
621KB, 1396x449px
What's the deal with Celts and Saxons?

Can someone please explain it to me?
>>
fun fact: there is no word for "English" in Welsh, we still call it and them "Saxons"

t. Welshman
>>
File: 1443657711074.jpg (844KB, 1800x1703px) Image search: [Google]
1443657711074.jpg
844KB, 1800x1703px
>>518716
That makes sense given that the Angles were further North whereas Saxons ruled Mercia and were thus whom the Welsh were most familiar with.
>>
>>518716
>mfw people are upset with Anglos

>mfw Even Charlemagne had to slaughter the Saxons

>mfw Saxons are inherently bad

I've solved the mystery of the Englishman's inability to behave.
>>
File: Aelfred the Great.jpg (93KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Aelfred the Great.jpg
93KB, 768x1024px
>>518801
Except that continental Saxons were pagan ruffians whereas their insular cousins had embraced the Gospels.

Alfred and Charlemagne were friends.
>>
File: Bvev_-ZIcAE_LkG.png (557KB, 529x820px) Image search: [Google]
Bvev_-ZIcAE_LkG.png
557KB, 529x820px
>>518716
>fun fact: there is no word for "English" in Welsh, we still call it and them "Saxons"
Irish too

Sasana=England

>Saxons are inherently bad
Saxons are grand, it's their Norman overlords and their lizard queen who are the problem.

I think England needs independence more than any other UK country 2bh
>>
>>518716
Isn't the Welsh language term for Welshmen "Cymry" or something?
>>
File: REEEEEEE.png (478KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEE.png
478KB, 500x572px
>>518869
>Saxons are grand, it's their Norman overlords and their lizard queen who are the problem.

THIS.

NORMANS OUT NOW

GEEEEEEETTTTT OUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT
NOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMAAAAANNNNNNSSSSS
>>
File: 1416711725098.gif (1MB, 399x356px) Image search: [Google]
1416711725098.gif
1MB, 399x356px
>>518887
>I must liberate the Anglo-Saxon peoples from the Norman yoke
>>
>>518883

Cymru is the Welsh word for Wales. Cymraeg is the language and a cymro is a Welsh person.

"Wales" is from the Germanic (ie Saxon) word for "foreigner" - hence Wallonia (Belgium) and Wallachia (Romania)
>>
>>518908
Cheers m8
>>
File: 'ave a go then.jpg (30KB, 345x400px) Image search: [Google]
'ave a go then.jpg
30KB, 345x400px
>>518899
oi yew fookin wot m8 ill mash ur ead in swear on me mum cheeky cunt
>>
>>518689
Celts are a people demolished by Rome, finished off by Germans.

Saxon is one German clan.
>>
Celtic pussy was made for Saxon cock
>>
>>518801
>>518750

Why is it always about anglos and saxons? What about the jutes? Won't somebody please think of the poor jutes? Did they even have kingdoms in england?
>>
File: 1452097954669.jpg (33KB, 840x950px) Image search: [Google]
1452097954669.jpg
33KB, 840x950px
>>519118
This tbph.
>>
File: runic-inscription-horn.jpg (128KB, 1176x722px) Image search: [Google]
runic-inscription-horn.jpg
128KB, 1176x722px
>>519128
>What about the jutes?

They were known for being the finest craftsman of the migrating tribes.

>Did they even have kingdoms in england?

Kent.
>>
NORMANS OUT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>519128
They lived in kent and the isle of wight and had fuck all contact with the Celts.
>>
File: 1361466882860.jpg (213KB, 746x746px) Image search: [Google]
1361466882860.jpg
213KB, 746x746px
>>518689
Genetically speaking the English are hardly any different from the Celts around them. Culturally the Anglo-Saxons are dominant but there wasn't a Celt genocide history forgot about the Britons just started acting like the invaders even after the invader genetics were long diluted into the Celtic mass.

English are Celtic just like T*rks are Greek.
>>
>>519299
The jury is still out on how close present day English are to Anglo-Saxons or Celts, there was a study done by Harvard which suggested at some point there was a trend of Anglo-Saxon men breeding with Celt women, with the Celtic men breeding less because of it.
>>
>>518689

Who we call the 'Anglo-Saxons' were in reality a tribal confederation - Bede's tripartite division of the Anglo-Saxons into Angles, Jutes and Saxons is likely the product of an ethnogenesis that took place IN Britain during the 5th, 6th and 7th centuries - he, and archaeology, both hint that the original 'Anglo-Saxon' migrations included 'Saxons', Franks, Frisians, Visigoths and even Huns. These later coalesced into one 'English' speaking people, whose kingdoms retroactively invented continental lineages for themselves - as Jutes, Angles and Saxons.

But for ease, our 'Anglo-Saxons' had probably served in Roman Britain as foederati from the 4th century and perhaps earlier, and when Roman authority broke down in Britain (410 is the traditional, but likely imprecise date), family and relations were no doubt invited by the Saxon soldiers in Romano-British service to come and settle - this will have fulfilled the need of the Romano-Britons for extra troops, now that the Roman legions were defunct (they were never ALL withdrawn - this is a myth). Gildas tells us that a 'superbus tyrannus' hired a group of 'Saxon' mercenaries as foederati, who then betrayed their master and seized power for themselves. The Romano-British fought back for a time, winning a great victory at Mons Badonicus, which ended the war with the Saxons for some time, but not civil wars among the Britons.

How long all this took we don't know - but in 400 Britain was Roman and in 600 a Heptarchy of Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms and a number of British kingdoms emerge into the light of history.

If you mean explain the 'animosity' between Celts and Saxons, it may in part have to do with this folk memory, as in Gildas, of a betrayal - as well as mourning for lands lost.
>>
>>518869
>>518887
Kin, I share your autism, but fear not, the current house that holds the English crown are Saxons.
>>
>>519299
>Genetically speaking the English are hardly any different from the Celts around them.

Yes, but the Saxons may have started settling in the area before the traditional written date range. The Plague of Cyprian appears to have hit the Roman lands in Britain very hard ( maybe as much as 65% lost) yet the population of the place was back to normal by 300 AD. Add to this sign of new settlement in around 260 to 270 AD that look very Saxon in nature and it looks like the cause of the re-population may of have been large scale immigration.

Are the English Britons with a small amount of Anglo-Saxons in them? Or are the Welsh and low lands Scots Celtic-Saxon mix? I know of no study that has adjusted the dates for sample use to try and prove or disprove that possibility.
>>
>>518716
The Irish word for Welsh basically reads the same as the Irish word for FALSE.

The word Wales/Welsh means Foreigner in Saxon.

The Irish call us False and the English call us Foreigners, the former being the most queer people in Europe while the latter being the most destitute people in Europe.
>>
>>519896
>The Irish word for Welsh basically reads the same as the Irish word for FALSE.
What the fuck?

We call you Breatnaigh (Britons), which is your proper name.

False is Bréagach.
>>
>>520002
> Breathnach

Irish are scum
>>
>>520008
>> Breathnach
That's a surname, Walsh.

This is what we get for trying to respectful. I don't know why you would call yourselves cum-rags.

I suppose the Anglos have cucked you out of the name "Briton"
>>
File: andy_pipkin.jpg (87KB, 310x349px) Image search: [Google]
andy_pipkin.jpg
87KB, 310x349px
>>520051

Little Britain = BEARLA
>>
>>519896
>>520008

"Briton" is the original name for Celtic dwellers of the island of Great Britain. It's where the Bretons, who immigrated from England to Brittany, derive their name.

The Welsh of the post-Roman period would have considered themselves and those in what we now call Scotland the last of "Britons". It's the name you called yourselves.

So for the Irish to call you "Breatnaigh" is to show you full respect for what you called yourselves and to call the English "Sasanach" still marks them as Saxons and those who invaded you.

Great blunder on the "false" thing though.
>>
File: Veneti_coin_5th_1st_century_BCE.jpg (517KB, 1920x973px) Image search: [Google]
Veneti_coin_5th_1st_century_BCE.jpg
517KB, 1920x973px
>>520190
>"Briton" is the original name for Celtic dwellers of the island of Great Britain. It's where the Bretons, who immigrated from England to Brittany, derive their name.
Britain and Brittany were connected before the 5-6th Century, one of the preemptive reasons for Caesar attacking Britain was due to their allegiance with the Veneti. They were of the same stock as the British prior to the migration.
>>
>>520190
>"Briton"
Isn't it the name of the goddess?
>>
>>520233

I'm not sure, I'd have to look it up, but it could possibly be both: The Irish name for Ireland is "Eire" or "Eireann", which was the name of Celtic Goddess of Peace.
>>
>>520258
>Eireann
I thought that was how the Irish call themselves the Aryan master race AKA Eireann Master Race.
>>
>>520258
>Celtic Goddess of Peace.
autism triggered

Éire, Banbha and Fódhla were a goddess-triplet (Celts have loads of these) who had Ireland named after them in return for helping the Gaels take the Island. They were associated with sovereignty.

Of the three names Éire is the most common, the others relegated to poetic use.

Éire comes from a proto-celtic root meaning bountiful, abundant.
>>
>>520267
>I thought that was how the Irish call themselves the Aryan master race AKA Eireann Master Race.
Éireann is the genitive case of Éire and has nothing to do with the word "Aryan"
>>
>>520267

Phff, I don't think the Irish taken in general care much for notions of "master races" considering they were "kicked out" of the white race by the English in the 18th Century and officially labelled Blacks. Which was funny itself because the pseudo-logic meant the Spanish had to be blacks as well.

Any way, the Irish word for an Irish person is "Éireannach".

>>520276

Autism aside, I was still kinda right. It depends on whether you consider a Goddess-Triplet is one being with three aspects, or three beings in one. But that's a theological discussion.
>>
>>520289
>Autism aside, I was still kinda right.
Yeah, pretty much. My autism was because of the "peace" bit.
>>
>>520276
>a goddess-triplet
Irish confirmed for being Egyptians

BRIGID

CONFIRMED FOR BEING THE REAL EIREANN MASTER RACE
>>520285
>>520289
>>
>>520299
The Egyptians came from LEBANON AKA PHOENICIA.

PHOENICIAN OF PLAUTUS:
> Byth lym mo thym nociothii nel ech an ti daisc machon
> Ys i do iebrim thyfe lyth chy lya chon temlyph ula.

EARLY IRISH-CELTIC:
> Beth liom' mo thime nociaithe, niel ach an ti dairie mae coinne
> Is i de leabhraim tafach leith, chi lis con teampluibh ulla.

IRISH CONFIRMED FOR BEING EGYPTIANS
>>
>>520299
>>520336

Jaysus, careful there, but there's a nutjobs out there that actually believes this.

There's people who believes all kinds of pseudohistory about the Irish, and one of them happens to be the belief the Irish are descended from Egyptians (The Irish had triple-Goddess, so did the Egyptians...OMG IT'S A CONNECTION) and that the Irish are the basis for the concept of Atlantis. Another pseudohistorical thing out there on the dim parts of the web is that the Irish are one of the twelve tribes of Israel, and that Ireland was settled by them after the Great flood. It's based off something a monk wrote down while doing a history of Ireland and was trying to Christian it up a bit, and then you get people doing the whole "I've got secret knowledge" shtick with it.

Or maybe you know all this and are riffing off it.
>>
>>520339
> http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ancient-irish-had-middle-eastern-ancestry-study-reveals-1.2478780

CONFIRMED
>>
>>520336
>> Beth liom' mo thime nociaithe, niel ach an ti dairie mae coinne
>> Is i de leabhraim tafach leith, chi lis con teampluibh ulla.
That isn't Irish you mongoloid and I highly doubt the other thing is phoenician.

Fucking retarded
>>
>>520353
So the Irish are fucking dune coons? That might explain a lot.
>>
File: DESERTpower.gif (489KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
DESERTpower.gif
489KB, 500x211px
>>520384
You'll have to refute this then:

> http://phoenicia.org/Phoenician_Celtic_connections.html

Lets hear your point by point refutation.

I'll be waiting.
>>
>>520385
>Implying this doesn't apply to all Europeans

Ireland's just used to show that they got as far west as you can pretty much go in Europe.
>>
>>520400
I'm an actual European, don't mock me by lumping me together with the Micks.
>>
>>520392
>Lets hear your point by point refutation.
literally not worth the effort. I read the whole thing and there is nothing that is true.
>>
File: Falstaff.jpg (147KB, 391x517px) Image search: [Google]
Falstaff.jpg
147KB, 391x517px
>>520339
>the Irish are the basis for the concept of Atlantis.
>>
>>518716
The word for German in Finnish is also (based on) Saxon.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.