[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the Catholic Church fixed all the valid criticisms of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 1415324078246.jpg (117KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1415324078246.jpg
117KB, 640x640px
Has the Catholic Church fixed all the valid criticisms of the Reformation? The Church Post-Trent is quite a different entity. Obviously they can't accept Protestant theology which goes against all early church teachings, but "muh indulgence", "muh bible translations" and similar shit is irrelevant now.
>>
File: Reformation Wall.jpg (306KB, 1582x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Reformation Wall.jpg
306KB, 1582x1055px
>>517528
>Mary
>>
>>517544
>Calvinism
>not heretical as fuck
>>
File: 1443540803285.jpg (75KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443540803285.jpg
75KB, 850x400px
>>517550
I don't agree with everything Calvin said but he was pretty based.
>>
>>517565
Why did the Reformers like to portray God as a villain and humanity as endless sinners who can't ever justify themselves? It seems kinda weird and against Christianity.
I can't honestly imagine being a Protestant and loving God, I'd just be terrified instead.
>>
File: ML.jpg (186KB, 720x1140px) Image search: [Google]
ML.jpg
186KB, 720x1140px
>>517577
>Why did the Reformers like to portray God as a villain

You've misunderstood them, clearly.

>humanity as endless sinners who can't ever justify themselves?

That's what the Bible says:

God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
- Romans 3:4

When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
- Mark 2:17

>I'd just be terrified instead.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
- Proverbs 9:10
>>
>>517591
>people who will be saved have been preordained
>there is literally nothing you can do to be saved if you're destined to be fucked
>you're endlessly depraved

>not the work of a villain

This is not Christianity of the early Church. We are sinners but we can achieve theosis and improve ourselves. It's absolutely false and a modernist invention that humans are completely helpless against sin.
>>
>>517607
It's really just a philosophical question. If God is omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent, can we really have free will?
>>
File: Thorns.jpg (330KB, 1006x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Thorns.jpg
330KB, 1006x1200px
>>517607
Not all Reformed Christians are Calvinists but assuming Calvin was right, who are you to judge God and His plan?

Also interesting verse for Calvin:

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
- John 15:16

Any improvement a believer experiences is a result of the Holy Spirit being present in their life; it is not from their own efforts.

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
- John 15:5

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
- Ephesians 2:8
>>
>>517637
It is a philosophical question, but the conclusion of Calvinism isn't compatible with Christian doctrine.
>>
>>517649
That's obviously debatable.
>>
>>517649
Don't know how you can say that so easily. Those that are ordained to be saved can be any one of us and those that be saved are ones that would be faithful in the eyes of the Lord so they will be following the teachings. The implication here seems to be that regardless of the illusion of free will, everyone has the potential to be saved provided they are faithful and repentent and it also removes the question that often plagues Catholics during troubling times in their life of feeling forsaken by God and trying to understand the Lord's will.
>>
>>517528
>Any post-Constantine christianity
>Theologically valid
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Calvin is a heretic
>>
>>517528
>"muh indulgence"
obviously indulgences were controlled so they wouldnt be abused as much, but the practice still exists
>muh bible translations
there were quite a few bible translations before Luther though, and the move against the new translations was because they werent authorized not because they were translations
>>
>>518463

>the practice still exists

<Citation needed>
>>
>>518492
This isn't exactly a secret. The ideas is still a core part of theology, they just said they can't sell the indulgences anymore.

Priests or the Pope can invoke this power to forgive sin. Remember the crusades? Do you know how they justified doing all that murder? The Pope gave out free indulgences to all crusaders.
>>
>>519745
They never could licitly sell indulgences. Most people don't really get what indulgences are and think that they're a get-out-of-hell-free card or something like that.
>>
>>519781
Regardless of whether they are sold they were a complaint the Protestants had. The Protestant idea is that only God can forgive sin. All indulgences are invalid regardless of how they were given out.

Although I do not think the reformation was just about the people being upset with church policy. The forces genuinally wanted nations completly free from control by the Pope. The Reformation was more of a reaction to the Reinnsance humanism and revival of Greek philosophy than to church theology.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.