[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ontological arguments are defined as those made from logic alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

Ontological arguments are defined as those made from logic alone with no reference to observation. But no logical deduction can tell you anything that is not already embedded in its premises. All logic does is draw the conclusions that follow from those premises and check for any inconsistencies. Only by observation can we demonstrate whether the premises accurately describe or reflect the real world. Therefore, all ontological arguments are pointless.
>>
>>512819
>i just discovered new atheism and don't know what the word ontology means
>>
If I were to assume a worldview of secular humanism, nobody would be able to deny it, given that I add that rejecting such a worldview makes you unreasonable, religious or discriminatory.

if however, the existence of such a worldview were affirmed throughout media, taught as sacred truth on the internet and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to accept it would become a mark of eccentricity and backwardness.
>>
>>512831
All the ontological arguments are pure logic
>>
>>512953
You need to brush up on basic metaphysics.
>>
>>513560
He needs to do more than brush up on it, he needs to fucking roll around in it
>>
>>513560
Metaphysics have been replaced by physics.
>>
>>513615
Top cuck
Why are you even here?
>>
>>513560
>>513610

Is /his/ really this stupid?
>>
>>513624
3/10 made me reply as i was scrolling down the board.
>>
>>513615
You clearly don't even know what physics is, much less metaphysiscs
>>
>>512819
Such a stupid fucking picture to use, Russell was making a point about theology, not metaphysics.
>>
File: Aristotle.jpg (114KB, 765x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle.jpg
114KB, 765x1024px
>>513615
>mfw
>>
Any thread or post that starts with 'x is defined by y' is defined by faggotry.

Ontological arguments are a certain CLASS of arguments that deduce x by way of 'necessity'. They are nut 'defined' by anything other than that.

The axioms of mathematics do not require empirical evidence for their validity. Are mathematics therefore pointless?
>>
>>513808
>Ontological arguments are a certain CLASS of arguments that deduce x by way of 'necessity'

Didn't Hume prove that all things are 'neccary' in the ontological sense, effectively destroying the entire filed forever.
>>
>>514967

No.
>>
File: 1414899066727.jpg (90KB, 600x811px) Image search: [Google]
1414899066727.jpg
90KB, 600x811px
>>512819
>>513683

Though to be fair, there could be a teapot in space. If alien species and what not is to be concerned, through millions of years of history there is bound to be a species who had created the equivalent of and it is floating around in space for reasons unknown.
>>
>>512819
>Therefore, all ontological arguments are pointless.

All arguments are ontological.

fixed.
>>
File: William_Lane_Craig.jpg (740KB, 1500x2254px) Image search: [Google]
William_Lane_Craig.jpg
740KB, 1500x2254px
What's going on in this thread, guys?
>>
File: 1451855875926.jpg (32KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1451855875926.jpg
32KB, 560x560px
>>513615
>>
>>515383
Go jack off onto the theologica, Bill.
>>
>>513808
>Are mathematics therefore pointless?

It can be depending on what premises you choose. For example, if they poorly model what we observe in reality
>>
>>512877
>taught as sacred truth
Bad selection of words to begin.
>>
>>515692

That's a problem with the model, or more likely the modeler, not maths.
>>
>>515383
Is there anything he can't do?
>>
>>515941
You mean besides butchering the 'cosmological' argument :^)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.