[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why no love for him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: Timmy.jpg (110KB, 736x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Timmy.jpg
110KB, 736x1152px
Was he really that bad? What about all the good things he did?
>>
I don't know, perhaps because he killed more than ten million people and left central asia a smouldering ash heap?
>>
ok you got me to reply. Name ONE good thing Timur the Lame did.
>>
>>508746
Genghis killed 30+ million people, and /his/ loves him.
Timur was one of the greatest military leaders ever, right in the same league with Alexander, yet you never hear from him.
>>
>>508766
>and /his/ loves him.
Because /his/ is mostly made up of underage redditors. They love mass murderers - as long as they're non-white.

>Timur was one of the greatest military leaders ever,
I'm not denying his military skills, but that alone hardly qualifies him as good.

> right in the same league with Alexander
>>>/out/
>>
>>508761
>ok you got me to reply. Name ONE good thing Timur the Lame did.
He built many really pretty Mosques in Transoxania.
>>
typical steppe ruler that killed many and provided nothing
>>
>>508761
>Name ONE good thing Timur the Lame did.
Conquered Persia.
>>
>>508782
It's a dog-eat-dog world out there man. It was either he do the killing and conquering or he get killed and conquered.

Steppe up nigga.
>>
>>508785
Destroyed cultural heirlooms, priceless artifacts, and massacred millions, what a positive gain for humanity.

>>508779
I guess that's sorta good I guess, as far as murderous despots go. I can give you that one.
>>
>>508776
>right in the same league with Alexander
He was a prince of some shitty mountain state, then conquered everything between Aleppo and Delhi, and he died after a prolonged drinking spree while on his way to conquer China.
Same Same.
>>
>>508802
>Same Same.
Are you literally a nigger?

Alexander spread Hellenic culture far and wide. He created a united cultural empire which spanned all of the known world.

How many cities are named "Timuria"? None because Timur was a horsefucking nigger and you yourself should be rolled up in a carpet and trampled to death by horses for your utter stupidity.
>>
>>508789
I appreciate steppe peoples capability to conquer but they are awful rulers

That anon was right, he conquered much, actually significantly lowered th e earth's population, and didn't provide much in return.
>>
>>508797
>positive
Spook alert.
>>
>>508828
>spook
retard alert
>>
>>508828
take your Meme Spookner shit to one of the threads that appreciates it
>>
>>508797
>Destroyed cultural heirlooms, priceless artifacts, and massacred millions, what a positive gain for humanity.

You don't need to have a positive impact, if there is such a thing, to be important for history. Yet nobody seems to really care about him.
>>
File: spookie boogie.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
spookie boogie.gif
2MB, 500x281px
"Timur's body was exhumed from his tomb in 1941 and his remains examined by the Soviet anthropologist Mikhail M. Gerasimov [...] Gerasimov reconstructed the likeness of Timur from his skull [...]

It is alleged that Timur's tomb was inscribed with the words, "When I rise from the dead, the world shall tremble." It is also said that when Gerasimov exhumed the body, an additional inscription inside the casket was found, which read, "Who ever opens my tomb, shall unleash an invader more terrible than I."[67] In any case, the same day Gerasimov began the exhumation, Adolf Hitler launched Operation Barbarossa, the largest military invasion of all time, upon the Soviet Union.[68] Timur was re-buried with full Islamic ritual in November 1942 just before the Soviet victory at the Battle of Stalingrad.[69]"
>>
File: timurid.jpg (104KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
timurid.jpg
104KB, 736x552px
>>508815
>Alexander spread Hellenic culture far and wide.
Timur spread Timurid culture far and wide.
If you like Hellenic more than Timurid, well then that is just like your opinion man
>>
>>508845
I was specifically asking for "Name a single good thing Timur did" the positive qualifier is necessary.

>>508815
>you yourself should be rolled up in a carpet and trampled to death by horses for your utter stupidity
gave me a small kek that was a good one

>>508861
>Timur spread Timurid culture far and wide.
>Timurid culture
>a culture of one man whose influence only lasted 30 years
>>
>>508886
>>a culture of one man whose influence only lasted 30 years
>Who is Babur?
His heirs ruled for centuries to come. Alexander the fagot didn't even had children.
>>
>>508894
Mughals and "Timurids" are not equivalent, and heirs are irrelevant. Furthermore, the cultural imperialism of the Greco-Macedonians in the form of Hellenism affects us to the modern day, "Timurid culture" does not because Timurids never had a culture, they simply took the Persian one.
>>
>>508921
So what, that doesn't mean he was a great Conquerer. He started as a sheep thief and ended up with one of the largest empires ever. Pretty impressive.
>>
>>508938
we're counting the empire of Tamerlane as "one of the largest ever" now?
>>
>>508921
>Mughals and "Timurids" are not equivalent
Yes they are. They are both Persianate Empires founded by Nomads.

Heck, the Mughal Court spoke Farsi.
>>
>>508974
>successor states are equivalent to progenitor states

t. Holy Roman Empire
>>
>>508894
>Alexander the fagot didn't even had children.

Well they did kill them all pretty soon after his death.
>>
>>508961
11.36% of world population at the time (50.0 million out of 440 million in 1400)
Thats a pretty big empire.

If he would be a little less genocidal that number would be closer to 70 millions.
>>
>>508985
Except the Timurid state is a state centered around a familial dynasty?
Hence the name?
And Babur is a member of that dynasty?
Hence the official name of the Mughal Empire's Dynasty (i.e. Timurid.)?
And in both incidences they were Persianate States?
>>
File: 1447961880434.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1447961880434.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>508850
>>
>>508961
Well it was slightly smaller than the Roman or Mughal Empires and larger than the Fatimid Caliphate or the Dutch Empire, I think that's pretty good. If you count it as a percentage of the world's population it was smaller than Yuan China or the Spanish Empire but bigger than the Byzantine or Russian Empires.
>>
File: timur.3.jpg (80KB, 590x342px) Image search: [Google]
timur.3.jpg
80KB, 590x342px
>>508961
He conquered ~70% of the world known oil reserves.Thats fucken impressive.
>>
>>508850
I fucking love this story.
>>
>>508739
>Was he really that bad? What about all the good things he did?
He destroyed the Golden Horde, good for Russia.
>>
>>508886
>a culture of one man whose influence only lasted 30 years

Timur's legacy didn't last for 30 years. Under Timur, there was a massive power shift from Persia to Afghanistan, and this established cities such as Samarkand, Herat, and Kabul to become major economic and cultural centres on par with Baghdad, Alexandria, and Isfahan which would last for hundreds of years. Samarkand, most notably, became a centre of Islamic and scientific scholarship.

Because of the Timurids, Persia was dominated by Turkic peoples for the next 100 years.The Ottoman Empire's advances into Europe were stalled for another 20 years at a time where Europeans could do essentially nothing to halt them. Lastly, the descendants of Timur founded the Mughal Dynasty, which ruled India for hundreds of years before the British conquered them.

Perhaps they didn't have as much influence as Hellenism (which probably had more to do with Hellenism being a superior culture rather than Alexander's governance) but your statement is completely ignorant of the legacy of the Timurids.
>>
>>509042
>Afghanistan
>>
>>508761
he gave few more decades to Byzantines.
>>
File: Timurids.png (12KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Timurids.png
12KB, 800x533px
>>508739
because /pol/ and reddit likes to think of Mongols as always being "ebbin kebab killers" and the fact that later Mongol dynasties were Muslim fug with their narrative
>>
>>510420
For a supposedly faithful muslim, Timur had a bad habit of being declared an Enemy of Islam.
>>
>>510601
He also called himself "the Sword Of Islam"
>>
>>508739
Because steppe people where never popular in euro-centric history.
>>
Genocide of Iranic peoples is pretty bad desu

Population of the Iranian plateau didn't recover until the 20th century.
>>
>>508861
This mosque is distinctly Iranian
>>
His empire only lasted a few generations after him right? It could have been so much more.
>>
>>508739
If we judge people by their lasting impressions. Then genghis khan who debatably linked the east and the west by reviving the silk road contributed something by his empire, despire the higher body count.

Timur the lame? He killed shit pots of people, and had little to show for it historically other than his name up in lights, and ruins of what was an empire.

You could claim the mughals wouldn't exist without him, and thus the course of indian history would change, but that's about it.
>>
>>511070
Imagine Timmy putting Ming into similar mess as he did to Ottomans.
>>
>>510601
Every religion has schisms and splits.
>>
>>511000
>kill 70k people in Isfahan
>build little towers with their skulls
>only take the artisans alive
>let them build a mosque in Mazar-e-Sharif.
Oh, its Iranian
>>
>>511193
For the Impact he had on the course of history, there isn't that much written about him or the Timurid Dynasty.
>>
>>512017
I mean the architecture and design are distinctly Iranian. The fool I originally replied to implied that it was "Timurid"
>>
File: 1x03t.jpg (13KB, 378x288px) Image search: [Google]
1x03t.jpg
13KB, 378x288px
>>512069
>The fool I originally replied to implied that it was "Timurid"
Given it was built in present day northern Afghanistan by a great grandson of Timur,a Timurid ruler, it is Timurid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Ali
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/timu/hd_timu.htm

>yfw there is a distinctive Timurid Art and Architecture
>>
>>508776
he was objectively better than alexander you cunt
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.