[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can /his/ tell me about the Silk Road? I'm doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Silk_route.jpg (2MB, 2868x1866px) Image search: [Google]
Silk_route.jpg
2MB, 2868x1866px
What can /his/ tell me about the Silk Road? I'm doing a project on it.
>>
You should try the homework board >>>/hm/
>>
>>503603
Thatnevergetsold/10
>>
Can anyone recommend a book about the silk road and people who travelled on it?
>>
It's an underground site only accessible through TOR used to distribute any kind of drugs to people. It got raided by FBI and turned into a honeypot now, or it might not even exist.
>>
Genghis
>>
>>503599

>Spice must flow.

This was saying/meme on 4chan for a while around 2006/2007.
>>
>>503767
It's a quote from dune lad
>>
>>503626
theres this guy called marco polo who probably could tell you a bit about the silk road

and a bunch of shit about mongolian court life and stuff like that
>>
>>503767
Spice didn't flow on the silk road though. Silk did.
>>
>>503599
It was insignificant as fuck. Trade and ideas mostly went through the Eurasian steppe. Fun fact: the reason the Huns went to war with the Romans was so they could trade in their markets
>>
>>505147
That's total bullshit though.
>>
>>505147
>the reason the Huns went to war with the Romans was so they could trade in their markets
Then why didn't they just trade in their markets?
>>
>>505147

>it was insignificant

>but people always tried to conquer it so they could reap the massive profits it generated

Could you explain your position further?
>>
>>505147

>>505407
Not >>505147 nor do I believe
> the reason the Huns went to war with the Romans was so they could trade in their markets

... But I do know that on and off it was very popular to bypass Persia on the silk route via the Caspian sea. The reason for why is a mix of Persia civil wars and Persia wars with Rome/ Byzantine/Turks. Not wanting to take goods thru a active war zone is a no brainer, however the after effects of the wars were almost as bad to traders: very high toll rates by both parties.

Anyways after the Caspian sea the goods would go to the ports on the northern black sea or keep to a land route thru the steppe. It would then go south thru whats is now days Romania or west thru Hungarian. It is important to note that during the time frame of Attila the Hun the relationship in between the Byzantine and the Sassanian Empire was very poor. That part of the reason why when the Hun settled they picked the area that is now Hungary, because it was on a major trade route.
>>
File: The Nomad Hordes-35.jpg (415KB, 1500x1962px) Image search: [Google]
The Nomad Hordes-35.jpg
415KB, 1500x1962px
>>505147
>the reason the Huns went to war with the Romans was so they could trade in their markets
Actually, the reason Huns went to war with the Romans because they were a Steppe Nomad Empire who were big on economies generated by extortion, raiding, and booty and whose politics placed a huge value on posturing by the ruling clan.

Not to mention the fight was started by Rome. Huns were ok with showing up with an army and asking you for money for them to fuck off. If you didn't pay though, that was all right, as it means they get to fight and the ruling clan shows how he could win shit.

It was basically an attempt by a Steppe Nomad Empire in the most traditional form to apply Steppe Practices of strongmanship protection schemes to show overlordship of a ruling clan over multiple tribes.
>>
File: Capture of the Noble Jinmi.jpg (42KB, 463x600px) Image search: [Google]
Capture of the Noble Jinmi.jpg
42KB, 463x600px
>>503599
The most interesting aspect of the Silk Route in Central Asia was that it allowed for the existence of multiple city states now known as the Silk Route City States.

The most famous of these could be found in the fertile Ferghana valley, where the cities there were either founded by
>Greeks of Alexander's Army
>The Diadochoi.
>Indo-Iranians who settled.

These cities were literally built in the middle of nowhere, with only the Silk Route providing the means of their survival (except for the Ferghana cunts, as that land was pretty fertile for agriculture).

Also the only time in history the Chinese met up with the Ancient Greeks. The City State of Alexandreia Eschate was called "Dayuan" by the Chinese, and were their allies during the Xiongnu War (after beating the shit out of the Greeks and stealing their horses for that war that is).

Most of these city states were absorbed by the Turkics after 500's AD. Then they started a weird second life as capitals of Semi-Nomadic Turkic Empires who continued living a nomadic life while possessing a capital city in the form of a silk route city state to continue the trade with.
>>
>>503599
Only the red bit is the silk route. The blue one is the spice one.

Though both products travelled the same roads. Especially when Turks and Mongols shat up the Silk Road with their eternal wars.

I mean hell, outside of China, the second largest producer of Silk in the old days was Thailand.
>>
File: 1398660180800.png (94KB, 357x357px) Image search: [Google]
1398660180800.png
94KB, 357x357px
>>504904
>Marco Polo
>"The people here are idolaters, there are some Nestorian Christians, they use paper money and eat rice"
>repeat this on 80% of the book

Nah, Marco Polo is a cool guy
>>
>>503599
It got shut down by the feds but is presumably back up again. You need have access to the deep web to use it, something our modern civilization has failed to learn from the ancients.
>>
>>507145
Are you retarded? The color differences designates land and sea routes.
>>
>>507340
And the sea route in the South China Sea/Indian Ocean is known as the Spice Route.
>>
>>503626
Try Empires of the Silk road, pretty thorough history of the nomadic peoples
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.