[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you still make a living with being a webdesign freelancer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: yolo.jpg (294KB, 1017x1024px) Image search: [Google]
yolo.jpg
294KB, 1017x1024px
Can you still make a living with being a webdesign freelancer? Or is this argument true?

>yeah I'm sure you can compete with the millions of 3rd worlders willing to do the same work for less
>>
>>253501
3rd world workers deliver less value. /biz/-main that randomly stumbled upon this board but I've hired/paid all kinds of programmers, web designers, and gfx artists. Almost all 3rd world workers I've hired to do front end web design mockups or logos have delivered complete shit. You have to tell them exactly what you want, with examples to take inspiration from, but they still send back an ugly page filled with mismatching gradients and misaligned text. Not to mention the passive aggressive broken english when you tell them what revisions need to be made. The only thing they excel at over first world workers is getting you a ton of pages in a short amount of time.

So, if you want to make a living being located in a place with respectable living conditions, you're just going to have to be able to deliver consistent quality, and not be a pain in the ass to work with. A portfolio is key when finding work. You WILL have to work for free or start projects yourself before looking for freelance work. Nobody will hire someone without a portfolio that shows the value of their work.
>>
>>253501
yes, but not easy.
you have to build up a network and a good portfolio. you can build a good portfolio while in school or you do projects for absurt low cost.
its not easy but it is very doable
>>
>>253501
3rd worlders are cheaper but you have the advantages of:

english as a first language
accessible (many clients don't know HOW to outsource or hire ppl from india)
racism workingin ur favor
easier to pick up luxury work
easier for your client to relate to you and your aesthetic/your ability to understand their aesthetic
etc

There are lots of reasons someone would hire a first world freelancer at premium rates, most of them come down to comfort and communication
>>
>>253536
>easier for your client to relate to you and your aesthetic/your ability to understand their aesthetic
inb4 racist

what is cultural differences
>>
>>253519
Keep in mind most of the time you see your designer as a pain in the ass to work with its actually because the client is a pain in the ass and feels like because hes paying, the designer works for you,instead of with you, which people dont realize isnt the case. You are your designers client you hired him to do something you cant. To an extent he'll deliver something to what your specification. But in the end he knows how to solve the problems you couldnt and thats the reason you brought him in in the first place. Not being a pain in the ass to work with goes both ways. Just like there are bad designers there are bad clients, and theyre usually the ones who believe "the customer is always right".he's not thats why hes the customer, by defenition he needs you to provide for him.
>>
>>253546
That was a racist statement, duh. Did you not see
>racism working in your favour
right above it?

I'm not saying it's actually true, but I am saying that generally white or Western clients will be more inclined to work with a similar freelancer because they're more confident that person will understand what they want, what's hot right now, what they're going for, what it should look like etc. Not necessarily true but the perception gives western freelancers an advantage over "third world" freelancers who work much cheaper.
>>
>>253501
You can 100% make decent money being a freelance webdesigner.
You just need to have a good sense of design (not just coding, as it happens with 3rd world freelancers), be able to work fast, respond to your emails within 24 hours max and be able to work very comfortably with a CMS. If you can do all of that you will have so much work that you will have to turn down some of it.
>>
>>253519
I'm with you until you say "work for free". That's not how it works. Portfolios can be added to by one's own work done in one's own time. It doesn't need to be gratuity to "count". Creating a shit ton of good, high quality pieces and placing them into a portfolio works just as good as if they were for someone else.

There's very little inherent value in the fact that a designer made something that appealed to someone else and was accepted by them. It's mostly important to see that their work is consistently good while going through them.

Trying to charm people into doing work for free is stealing.
>>
>>253519
>3rd world workers deliver less value
the only reason anyone in the west is still employed in a LOT of industries!!
>>
>>253501
>3rd worlders

India has a space program you dumb bich mother fucker so stop calling us 3rd worders. We will be superpower by the year 2030 and we well fuck you up good.
>>
>>254590
I like this post. Thank you anon.
>>
>>253546
>what is cultural differences
Not >>253536, but if I were to say to you:

"I'll have it done within two shakes of a lambs tail"
"Don't count your chickens"
"When pigs fly"

Would you know what I meant by those phrases? If you share the same culture as me, you'd know I meant:

"This'll be done quickly"
"This is not certain yet, so don't get excited"
"I don't believe you can do ___"

Having a shared cultural vocabulary and knowing references makes it easier to communicate exactly what you want, rather than having to explain every detail over and over and over again.
>>
>>254724
In the per capita india is still a 3rd ranking country so your argument is invalid.
>>
>>254724
Most of the country shits in a field or street. You are the third world faggot.
>>
>>254767
Americans shit in their homes.
>>
>>253501

With services like wordpress, blogger, tumblr, etc, that let people make their own home pages/blogs with just a few clicks, no one in their right mind would even pay a 3rd worlder for a website these days. The only employment to be found in the field is with hugeass b2b portals and web environments that are too demanding to automate. And those are generally beyond a simple freelancer.
>>
>>254724
Oh great, pretty soon the moon will be polluted with human waste too.
>>
>>253501
You have to relentlessly cultivate a personal aesthetic, instantly recognizable as yours and only yours.

I recently got an album cover from 99designs, and while the process was cheap/easy I'll probably never go back. Next time I want to work with an artist I admire who can draw from my work, rather than a pajeet who can barely speak English to me (he did do a bretty gud job tho)
>>
>>253501
I've tried desperately and failed miserably.
No kidding about the third world ears.

Yes, their English sucks, they use tons of business buzzwords without knowing what they mean. Sound like fucking idiots.
Their work is shit most of the time, too.

You read their shit and think you've got a gigantic advantage until you realize all the employers are 3rd worlders too with a matching grasp on English and fall for the bullshit.

It is infuriating.
>>
>>254909
3rd worlders.
Siri is fucking my shit up today.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.