[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 46

File: blank image.png (294KB, 1500x1350px) Image search: [Google]
blank image.png
294KB, 1500x1350px
Old thread (>>61101090) is autosaging.

Do you have stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread? Ask them here.
>>
Best minimalistic active antivirus? Seems like a common problem with a lot of them to make you system hang with high disk usage.

Comodo is mentioned in the wiki. Is it really any better than normal?
>>
>>61113723
>minimalistic active antivirus
Unplug your pc. So minimal. Much safe.
>>
Windows 10 forced another stupid fucking update on me, as per the norm, and now I can't open any Microsoft apps, including Calculator. It says I can't open it because I am the administrator.

Literally what in the blue fuck does that mean? I'm the only fucking user of the PC, of course I'm the fucking admin. Do I really have to make a dummy account just to use Windows Apps? My laptop doesn't have this "feature" yet, it better not fucking happen there too
>>
>>61113723
microsoft security essentials is the only antivirus that is neither nagware nor rootkit

common sense is even better, but luckily the two can be combined
>>
>>61113826
I literally cannot use the windows search function anymore

I am the ONLY user on the PC. What were they thinking
>>
>>61113567
i currently have a plex server running on my media pc, and am interested in being able to access the drives themselves outside my network. currently, i just teamviewer in, but thats a pain.

what would be the best way to network share drives? samba is out due to all the shitshows, so would i just create a private vpn server and get in that way, or is there something better? ideally, id like the drives to just show up as network drives in explorer wherever i am.
>>
File: 1498472530621.jpg (34KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1498472530621.jpg
34KB, 1200x675px
Would it be possible to MacGyver up a CPU cooler (plus a fan) on an Atom board?
>>
Is there a way to apply a delay to an audio stream from the internet? Long story short I want to sync up a the radio audio of a (sports) game with the video but the latter is substantially delayed
>>
>>61114055
Pause the video until it matches up
>>
>>61114050
>samba is out due to all the shitshows
What shitshows?
>>
>>61113826
You fucked up UAC.

Re-activate it to use metro apps.
>>
>>61114091
eternalblue. although that has been patched.
>>
What music player is good on android?
I need bookmarks for podcasts and audiobooks and the like.
>>
How can I hack a wifi hotspot on android
I know the first 4 letters of the password but the rest are all numbers that I forgot.
(there are 4letters then 4numbers)
>>
File: example.png (203KB, 965x853px) Image search: [Google]
example.png
203KB, 965x853px
Does anyone know a website platform that would work for posting stories anonymously? Traditionally the comments section of LiveJournal has been used, and with ToS shit some groups are moving to Dreamwidth, but using the exact same method of posting in the comments. Pic related, it just seems incredibly convoluted and honestly retarded, but a standard message board doesn't seem quite right, either.
>>
Why the fuck are GTX970s rising in value? I can't even upgrade my GPU at all without dropping a ridiculous amount of money.
>>
Is there a preferred benchmarking tool for Windows, or is it a load of bullshit?
>>
>>61114201
4chan
What kind of stories?
>>
>>61114263
Crypto mining clowns would be the most likely culprit.
>>
>>61114078
I am retarded, thank you
>>
>>61114400
>blaming clowns for everything
Fuck you anon, clowns are alright.
>>
alright i want to start putting some songs onto CDs to listen to in the car. i'd prefer them to be rewritable. what type/format of CD would i have to get? can cd-rw be played in a cd player?
>>
>>61114440
>can cd-rw be played in a cd player
Heh, what is this 2003. People still use cds? What about aux or bluetooth!

But yeah, audio cds of any format should work everywhere. Some headsets play data cds filled with mp3 files too.
>>
>>61114440
CDs are like $.1, just use a regular CD-R.

It's been a long time, but I believe when a CD is mastered it sets it permanently. Far as I've seen, normal CD players won't recognize songs on those formatted rewritable.

It depends on the age of the player, but the newer ones will read mp3 format. This will store ~10x more than the older one.
>>
>>61114383
Fanfiction, commonly erotic, not always. The idea is the whole request and fill thing, so the fics get nested under the writing prompt, and then comments get nested in with each chapter. The writer is supposed to reply to their first chapter with each new chapter, but it's easy to mess up and reply to the wrong part. And then with the character limit, you get chapters broken up into multiple parts, and all of those are then nested.

There's a matter of tradition, there's a matter of "if it ain't broke", and then there's "we haphazardly threw this method together back in 1999 and not a single fandom has found something better that isn't posting your own works on your own account".
>>
File: 1497810594068.gif (95KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1497810594068.gif
95KB, 320x320px
Was the internet invented to post and view pictures and videos of kitties? :3
>>
Why do gaming laptops exist? At this point they're using desktop components, lack the ability to upgrade, and you're forced with a heavy/bulky computer.

Isn't it easier to just get an actual laptop and use it for the occasional vidya or build a mini pc for moving around?
>>
>>61114691
They exist because they apparently found people to market to.
>>
So, I am trying to decide whether I should purchase a game. This is a common theme, that I do not know if my new computer will be able to run it smoothly. (New computer will arrive after Steam sale is over).

Processor: i3-7100u 2.4 GHz – 3 MB cache – 2 cores – 4 threads
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620

Recommended specs:
>Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
>Graphics: 4GB NVIDIA 9xx series card or better with driver version 352.21 or later

Minimum specs:
>Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
>Graphics: 1GB NVIDIA 640 or better with driver version 352.21 or later

I used Shadow of Mordor as an example, but this keeps happening. The computer that I have is an kabylake i3, and the specs all recommend i5 and i7s at greater GHz than what my computer has to offer.

How can I make sense of this? How can I know if a game should run before I buy it? I fucking hate buying games to have to return them because they don't run on my computer.
>>
>>61114487
>>61114545
thanks, yeah i'm terribly indecisive but they are pretty cheap so i guess i'll look into getting those. i do have an aux cable and all that stuff but i was kinda feeling nostalgic for some CDs.
i'm going to drive at like 3am blasting vaporwave
>>
>>61114714
>New computer will arrive after Steam sale is over
Just by it on special and wait till you get your new PC before installing.

Also you can always on low settings and low resolution like a real poorfag.
>>
>>61114714
Simply put, you're under the minimum specs. Integrated graphics don't count for much when it comes to gaming. It doesn't have any VRAM, it works off your normal RAM, which you didn't even post.
>>
>>61114440
Test it. There's only one way to find out.
Also
>>61114545
>It depends on the age of the player, but the newer ones will read mp3 format. This will store ~10x more than the older one.
>>
I'm trying to make the Realtek control panel show up but I'm not having any luck

I have a Lenovo g550 using Windows 10 Pro, and the device manager shows I have a "High Definition Audio Device" with microsoft drivers on it. Realtek installed itself successfully, and I tried both the download in Lenovo's website and on Realtek's, but the thing is that the godforsaken control panel does not show up on system tray nor anywhere.

Please help.
>>
>>61114786

I have 8gb of ram, but I can upgrade it if I want to. Though if I have to upgrade it further, I probably wouldn't get the game in the first place.

It's great to know that I am under the minimum specs. Which ones am I specifically lacking, because it's hard for me to interpret it.

It seems like you are suggesting the graphics are below minimum. What about the processor?
>>
>>61114400
Well yeah... but why 970s?
>>
Is it normal that a phone, when turned off, won't charge when connected to a computer? If turned off, it'll only charge with a charger.
>>
>>61114847
All of them, technically. An i5 is better than an i3, and an i7 is better than an i5. You have an integrated graphics card, which, as I said, has no actual VRAM. Any actual card is going to be better than that, unless you're comparing a super old card to a brand new integrated graphics. Basically, it says the bare minimum is owning a graphics card. You do not own a graphics card. That's going to have the biggest impact on the performance.
>>
>>61114870
Everything else good for etherum is already sold out?
>>
File: 1493521132514.jpg (113KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1493521132514.jpg
113KB, 1080x1349px
How do you look for torrents? (google is an exception)
I'm looking for rare dvds and I don't have any private trackers and shiet
>>
>>61114670
Cats fucking blow
>>
>>61114900

I guess that means more nethack and solitaire for me, then.
>>
Where to find good flacs rar?
>>
>>61114952
I used to use KAT, then it died, then extratorrents, then it died, now I use Zooqle
>>
>>61114957
I can relate. Also played MUDs at that time, but then you're mixing nethack with a community and that's just a hit or miss.
>>
>>61114670
No, it was invented to shitpost. And developed to facilitate military communications.
>>
>>61114978

Yeah, good thing that a lot of my gaming is in-person now, as opposed to on the computer. Perhaps I'll finally be able to run some of the games that I purchased without checking the specs to see if my computer could run that.
>>
>>61114714
There's a fun part where you learn to understand the video settings and tweak it to improve performance based on the power of your video card or CPU.

I had an AMD FX-6300 and it still runs strong this generation.

Integrated graphics is another story.
>>
>>61114714
>>61114847

You are probably unaware, but there are benchmarks for common graphic-instense games. When I was shopping around, I was looking at graphs labelled things like: Fps for Witcher 3 @4k max settings for 20 common GPUs on market.

Your GPU should be ~50% of your build budget. If you have a decent CPU, you will not need to upgrade it much. Unless you are trying to set a record for cat populations in dwarf fortress, it will never hinge on that.

Also, keep in mind your objective. If you only have a 1080p or 1440p monitor, budget cards may give you everything you need.
>>
>>61115068

I did look at some of that stuff. People playing Overwatch on the laptop that I plan on buying with the specs that they said. But the numbers don't quite align in a way that makes sense to me (for the specs).

I am dead-set on the laptop that I am pulling those specs from. I want to mostly do school work, skype, browse the internet, and word-process. Gaming is a bonus. I've never had a powerful machine, and I thoroughly do not mind playing old games or games that are really lightweight. I like Faster Than Light, Cook Serve Delicious, Crysis 8, Eldritch,and other minimalist (graphics-wise) games. Fucking love me some Cataclysm DDA.
>>
File: 1466907752658.png (394KB, 491x596px) Image search: [Google]
1466907752658.png
394KB, 491x596px
>>61113567
Does a password cracker for winrar actually exist?
>>
>>61114923
I don't know why miners think hoarding GPUs is actually a viable strategy for making money.

It's good for a very short time period, between the point when the currency actually starts being worth something and the point where the mining difficulty increases and ASICs and whatever they use these days become mainstream.
>>
>>61115132
There seems to be a new crypto coin started every day, though. Jumping from one low difficulty coin to another might be part of the plan.
>>
File: 3tb.jpg (95KB, 597x477px) Image search: [Google]
3tb.jpg
95KB, 597x477px
Is my 3tb seagate dying? It keeps doing a zipclick noise followed by spin up then keeps repeating doing that over and over again. I bought the drive in 2012 iirc. I know now it is one that was prone to failure :(. What is HDtune telling me here? I can access the drive completely fine.
>>
Gigantic emergancy.

PC won't boot. Or more specifically, the SSD won't boot. The motherboard lights up and I hear fans so it can't be that. I fear it may have something to do with having to put it in sleep mode numerous times last week due to a heat wave. When I tried to take it out of sleep mode, instead of booting up as usual, nothing pops upon the monitor and strangely, the caps lock light blinks when I hit a key.

Please tell me my data isn't lost forever. AT the very least, how do I get it to boot? It took me a long time to save up the money to build this thing and it's going to suck if my precious stuff is lost forever or worse.

If it helps, the SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO and there are three HDDs from Western Digital. The OS is Windows 7, the CPU is an FX-8320E, and the motherboard is an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0.
>>
>>61115390
Do you see the BIOS logo/message when botting up?
>>
If I set my GPU to compute mode will it stop displaying?
>>
>>61115390
Your data is probably not lost. Is it a intel cpu? What generation? Haswell? Some generation of intel chips had sleepbug issues along with usb3. Mine does it (4670k) but never to the point the system refuses to boot after a complete shutdown for a coldboot.
>>
What's the largest micro SD that'll fit in a Galaxy note 4?
>>
>>61115449
>>61115552
No, but the PC is working again. Somehow. I don't know what went wrong. First I remembered there was a setup CD in the DVD drive but removing that didn't work. Unplugged all USB devices. Still didn't work. Finally, I unplugged everything, opened up the case, dusted off the parts (not that there was much dust), and wiped down the PSU filter on the underside (which was EXTREMELY dusty). Plugged everything back in and NOW it works.

Still scary though. The SSD status is still labeled "Good" and almost 2TB has been written to it. I have no idea what the problem was and that kinda pisses me off. Weather's cooling down so I'll just not put it in sleep mode unless absolutely necessary.

Also, I already said the CPU is an FX-8320E. AMD brand.
>>
Anyway to tether an android device on Verizon to linux without paying extra?
>>
when I pop open task manager, my cpu usage looks like it spikes and then goes back down
is this because of a bitcoin miner or something?
>>
What's the best no-nonsense bandwidth monitor?

I keep hitting my limit but I'm not doing jack fucking shit. I just want to see what data is leaving my laptop/desktop. I don't think its my Playstation.
>>
I have 2 montiors connected to my desktop, one is DVI, the other is Displayport.

The Displayport one occasionally refuses to pick up a signal sometimes (usually waking the computer up from sleep).

How do I unfuck this? I've tried turning the computer off and then on again, I've tried unplugging and plugging back in both the power connection of the monitor and also the displayport cable (both ends).
It seems like Windows recognizes the monitor (as it doesn't auto adjust the resolution and display things on the second monitor), but the DP monitor refuses to pick up the signal (shows DisplayPort NO SIGNAL and then goes back to off).
>>
Important question.

All of us have shit in our PC, laptop etc that other people should never see. How do you protect all that stuff? And don't tell me with hidden folders.
>>
What ISP should I use? I'm moving out of my parents' house and will be paying for my own Internet for the first time, but I won't be able to use the regional ISP I've had forever (Moving from NYC to Nashville). I'm looking for the best value of price/speed/privacy
>>
Recently any time I've gone into a game my laptop would beep consistently and flash 3 lights on my different lock lights and then turn off.
What does this mean and how can I fix it without destroying my laptop?
>>
>>61115129
>Crysis 8
Good luck with that, games from the future are too intense for my tastes. You should have just said normal laptop immediately. Microcenter sells these $200 asus laptops that will be more than enough.
>>
>>61115584
What OS?
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Just installed lavfilters 0.70
Why are my annime jaggy?
>>
If your cursor is like duplicating in Windows 10, and the duplicate is all wonky and glitchy, wtf is going on?
>>
>>61115596
With hidden folders. Or you could create a virtual drive and mount it when you want it.
>>
>>61115566
If your carrier has crippled you phone so it can't do usb tethering you probably have to root it. On the linux side any modern DE should handle USB tethering just fine out of the box.
>>
I need a new /SMALL/ smartphone. I'm so pissed that the days of tiny easily hand held smartphones are a thing of the past and now all I can ever find are bloated mini tablet cock suckers. I used to have an iphone 4 and had it for 5 years before it broke and recently got an htc one m8 at the advice of /g/ and it's big and shitty.

Can anyone recommend me the smallest smartphone that isn't a piece of dogshit. Android OS preferably, that'll be able to store and play music decently as well as browse the web. A decent camera would be a plus but by no means required. It doesn't have to be a recent generation smartphone but as long as it can run the latest OS version it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>61115570
It's because the act of opening it uses CPU.

>>61115619
Depends on what's available in that specific location. Was just talking with someone who lived somewhere around NY who had to use dial up because there was nothing else that was connected to the building. You might find that you've only got one ISP to switch to.
>>
>>61115570
... It's probably because of the task manager loading...
>>
How do you stop directly streamed ads on Twitch?
>>
>>61115720
stop watching twitch
>>
>>61115713
>>61115714
thanks, I always got a little paranoid at that, esp. since malwarebytes and windows defender didn't find anything

>>61115720
use a third party streamer instead of the main site, like livestreamer, though I think it's called viewstreamer or some shit now
either way it works by streaming through your video player, such as mpc-hc or vlc if you use that
if you still need your dumb twitch chat though, you can just open a chat window instance in your browser or something as well
>>
Just bought a Moto G4 Play

How to commit suicide?
>>
>>61115707
Z3 compact or z5 compact.
>>
>>61115678
Sorry.

Laptop is a Mac and Desktop is Windows 7.
>>
>>61115713

Looks like it's the usual. I'm checking out XFINITY right now.

Since I'm living alone, what Mbps should I be going for?
>>
File: why.png (140KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
140KB, 1920x1080px
How do you get rid of this shit
>>
Just bought the parts for my first pc and I'm curious about installing windows. I have a usb drive with 64bit windows on it and I'm unsure about the product key.
The computer I made it from was upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 during the free upgrade period.
So the question is: Do I need to buy a product key or will the one on my current computer work?
>>
How could I write this array in JavaScript on one line that has one semicolon?:
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;
>>
>>61115930
var arr = ["a":true, "b":true, "c":true];

or
var arr = [a:true, b:true, c:true];

is not equal to
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;

help.
>>
>>61115838
IIRC even if it doesn't work you should be able to skip that step with no downside except a watermark on the lower right of the screen.
>>
>>61115980
>>61115930
Okay I see what I did wrong but still have a problem. Associative arrays can only be in curly brackets.
var arr = {a:true, b:true, c:true};

equals
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;

but this
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;
for (var x in arr) {
arr.push(x);
}
alert(arr);

has a different output than this:
var arr = {a:true, b:true, c:true};
for (var x in arr) {
arr.push(x);
}
alert(arr);
>>
I find I don't know enough about the networking pipeline. Youtube (and only youtube) has been chronically very slow to initially load, taking ten seconds or more just to load thumbnails and halting three seconds into the video to buffer, but then finishes loading at full speed, buffering a minute of video instantly. What arrangement of throttling, if it even is throttling, could result in a slow start before normal function and of what benefit is that to an ISP?

I'm listening to a playlist and its halting four seconds into every single fucking track and its reaching a breaking point.
>>
Is there a way I can find out why I got banned from facebook?
>>
>>61116057
In javascript, arrays and objects (associative arrays) are fundamentally different and you need to stop mixing them.

This creates an array:
var arr = [];

This assigns an object property to that (which does not add it to the array)
arr["a"] = true;

If you want an associative array (which is an "object" in JS), you must initialize it as {}, not []
>>
>>61116065
If you are using your ISPs DNS servers it could be hitting there local cache, and missing.
>>
Is it possible to bring an ice cube to room temperature without melting it?
>>
>>61116110
I'm on google dns, for ipv4 at least.
>>
>>61116139
Do it in a vacuum?
>>
File: water_phase_diagram_2.gif (57KB, 750x512px) Image search: [Google]
water_phase_diagram_2.gif
57KB, 750x512px
>>61116139
>>61116164
Sorry, I had that backwards. It would be in a pressure chamber if anything, but even at high pressure water can't get up to room temperature as a solid.
>>
>>61116189
Well, unless you form it at high pressure, as phases VII and X are both ice.
>>
>>61116096
Wow, thanks. Is there any chance you could elaborate? For this:
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;
for (var x in arr) {
arr.push(x);
}
alert(arr);

arr["a"] is not creating index of arr named "a" but still storing something in memory such as alert(arr["a"]) returns a window with the text "true"? What is the for...in loop doing? I know it is iterating through all the "elements" of "arr" and I guess "x" refers to the text "a", then "b", then "c" (not "true", then "true", then "true") because it makes an array of three strings: "a", "b", and "c".
>>
File: 1467469381358.png (166KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1467469381358.png
166KB, 500x363px
Why the fuck is finding a good 4k tv to buy so hard? Was looking at the Vizio P Series 55 inch and its input lag is at 44ms when using 4k + HDR. Is there a good IPS 4k tv you guys would recommend for video games?
>>
Stupid question here from C newfag.

Let's say I'm writing a C program. My program requires a library. I download the library's source, compile it, and install it.

Explain to me in baby terms what's going on when I now include that library's header in my file and call its functions. How does gcc know where that library.h file is? Is there a specific path these get installed to on linux that gcc knows to check? What exactly happens when I call a function from that library? The library was compiled so it should be a binary, does the entire thing get loaded into memory when I run my program? Is it possible to compile and use a library without installing it? Hell, what does it even mean to "install" a library? Just putting the binary in a specific folder?
>>
>>61116065
>>61116110
>>61116148
So I set my ipv6 dns to google and I think it might be fine now. Intredasting.
>>
>>61115132
Most of the new cryptos have made mining with asics not worth the cost to earn what they are mining.They are revolving around gpc and cpu computation
There is better math in the last thread but yeah
>>
>>61116224
If you try to assign a key value to pair to a normal, non-associative array, javascript will redefine the array's element storage to be an object in an effort to try to listen to the nonsense you're telling it to do. Any other language would probably throw an error on that.

In general, don't ever do that.

So this is now basically an object that still has all of the Array methods available to it (which is a gross hybrid and will not work correctly). Before your for loop, you have [a:true, b:true, c:true], and then by the end of the loop you have [true, true, true, a:true, b:true, c:true], which is equivalent to {0:true, 1:true, 2:true, a:true, b:true, c:true} in terms of element storage.

Meanwhile objects (initialized with {}), don't even have a .push() method.

Also, if you take an array a = [1,2,3] and run a.lengt, you'll get 3. If you then set a["foo"] = true and now have [1,2,3,foo:true], if you run a.length you will still get 3 because your array is fucked up.

tldr arrays are not objects, they do not have the same behaviors or methods, and do not do anything that transforms an array into an object-hybrid.
>>
>>61116189
Where's Ice IX?
>>
Can I install bitlbee on my laptop running Linux and access it in my IRC client on my desktop on the same network?
>>
File: 1389038025901.jpg (159KB, 764x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1389038025901.jpg
159KB, 764x1024px
Ok guys, a question about Firefox.

I want the browser to open only one new private/incognito window.
I mean, every time I right-click a link and choose to open it on a new private window, a truly new window is open. So if I open 2 links, there will be 2 private windows.

I want it to behave like Chromium. Only one private window is opened, and the other links are opened as new tabs on it.

There is a possible way to do this?

Thanks my dudes.
>>
>>61116378
copy and paste link
boom
keep it simple
>>
>>61116388
That's not simple, that's completely impractical when you need to open a lot of links on private windows.
>>
>>61116299
Well you need to link that library with your compiler i.e. tell the compiler where the library is. When you use a token or named variable the compiler is going to search the path for it eventually finding it in your libray. Yes libraries are just precompiled binaries. Or at least dll are.
>>
>>61116406
Browse from a private window to begin with then open the links
>>
>>61116362
Did you check in the cat's cradle? I left it there.
>>
>>61116413
I'd also like to add during compilation your compiler places chunks of binary where a function is found. When you inline something in c++ that binary chunk is just repeated. I hope this helps.
>>
>>61116299
The compile time lookup is done by telling the linker what libraries to look for in stardard (or you can specify custom) locations (eg -lm for "link to libmath or -IX11 for "include the X11 folder in from the standard include locations").

At runtime the the linker has a bunch of locations (standard and distro specified in /etc/ld.conf) where it looks for libraries that supply symbols the program is missing. You can look at what libraries and symbols a binary will request from the linker by using readelf -d (look for type NEEDED) and readelf -s (look for Ndx UND) respectively.

> does the entire thing get loaded into memory when I run my program
Yup. But fancy OSs share libraries in memory between multiple programs who might request them.

> Hell, what does it even mean to "install" a library?
Putting in a folder and updateing the linker cache. You can use a library without installing it by putting it in the same folder as a binary, putting it in LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH or loading it directly from the binary with eg dlopen()
>>
>>61116427
Also a library is .lib not .h you don't #include library. Header are .h and are not precompiled.
>>
>>61116373
yes. Just set the DaemonInterface to an external IP and make sure no firewall is blocking it.
>>
>>61116224

Bracket notation is a simple array. It holds a single value/object per index.

Curly braces are a 'hash' or associative array. You tend access it's values based on keys and not necessarily indices.

var arr = []
arr[0] = true
arr[1] = true

# arr => [true, true]

var hash = { "1":false, "2":false }
hash["1"] = true
hash["2"] = true

# hash => { "1":true, "2":true }

If the code sample was correct and used the value assignment notation used above, that would give you an alert with the array shown. It won't just say 'true', but should display the array as a string of it's values. You'd get: True, True, True in the alert window.
>>
>>61113567
my pc keeps randomly restarting on me. sometimes it goes weeks or months without doing it. and its doesnt only happen when im doing something specific. this has been happening for about 2 years now. i bought a new PSU and it stopped for about 2 months. after it started again i bought a new CPU cooler for my i7 3770 (not K) that helped for about another 2 months. could it be my mother board? or my cpu? the thing is, finding a good but cheap LGA1155 motherboard is hard. theyre all really expensive. my current motherboard is the asrock z77 pro4-m. what the hell could i try to fix this annoying problem?!? it hadnt happened for a while and now it suddenly started doing it again
>>
>>61116462
Thank you kindly, anon! I'll set it up tomorrow.
>>
>>61116470
ive literally made like 4 or 5 posts on toms hardware over the past 2 years and theyre no help. they just tell me to try everything ive already told them that ive tried
>>
What type of encryption is it specifically where you pass a key to a limited, predefined list.
>>
>>61116308
>>61116467
Thanks again, I was trying to understand this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1187518/javascript-array-difference
var newArr = [];
var arr = [];
arr["a"] = true;
arr["b"] = true;
arr["c"] = true;
for (var x in arr) {
newArr.push(x);
}
alert(arr);

makes the "newArr" array have 3 data things only, three elements which are ["a","b","c"] so it only gets the name of the name value pair which is strange; I don't know why it does that.

Also even using the {} for associate array alert(hash) and alert(hash.toString()) does not return "true, true, true"; I don't currently know how you would get the "true, true, true" output from hash.
>>
Is there an actual method of converting subtitles (either embedded or external) into closed captions

My tv is locked into a shit unreadable font, but even with mpc set up my desktop has really bad judder so I'd rather watch my chinese cartoons on a big screen. All I can find is that expensive shit can embed CC, and FFmpeg can't.
>>
>>61116556
Nevermind, maybe you were referring to this:
var arr = [];
arr[0] = true;
arr[1] = true;
arr[2] = true;
alert(arr.toString());
>>
I'm thinking about re-applying thermal paste to my GPU. I've checked some videos, and it looks feasible.

Is it something that should be done every so often?
Can anyone recommend good paste/pads?
Can I expect good temp changes?

My card has been overheating a lot lately, and crashing my comp. If this doesn't work, I'll probably be tossing it anyway. I've had it for ~6 years, so I figure it's time to do something with it.
>>
>>61116564
>FFmpeg can't.
But it does
>>
>>61116578
Elaborate.
http://www.ffmpeg-archive.org/How-to-embed-SCC-closed-caption-file-into-a-video-file-mov-mp4-mpg-td4671735.html
That was 2 years ago though, did they add it?
>>
>>61116556
>Also even using the {} for associate array alert(hash) and alert(hash.toString()) does not return "true, true, true"; I don't currently know how you would get the "true, true, true" output from hash.
let obj = {a: true, b: true, c: true}
alert(Object.values(obj))

Does that do what you want?
>>
>>61116594
Oh, so that's how one does that. What is with the "let" keyword? Isn't that identical to "var"?
>>
>>61116518
Shit?
>>
>>61116583
Like this?
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HowToBurnSubtitlesIntoVideo
>>
>>61116625
>What is with the "let" keyword? Isn't that identical to "var"?
No. Originally, Javascript only had "var" for declaring variables. In ES6, "let" and "const" were added.
"var" is hoisted, has weird scoping rules, and allows redeclaration. "let" is not hoisted, has saner scoping rules, and throws an error on redeclaration. "const" is like "let" except it doesn't allow reassignment either.

"let" was mostly added because "var" has some annoying properties. You should, in order of preference, use cost, then let, then var whenever possible.
>>
>>61115838
Use your 8 key, should still work.
>>
>>61116650
Those are subtitles, not closed captions. Fucking sucks that google will take my search for "closed captions" and read it as "subtitles". Subtitles are rendered completely differently. I've got subtitles. They're crap, and you can't change the font. With current CC standards, you're supposed to be able to have at least like three different fonts to choose from. CCs are normally white on a black background. Older TVs can't decode subtitles, but can read CCs.
>>
>>61116671
>I've got subtitles. They're crap, and you can't change the font.
What? Your player should be able to set softsubs to any font, color, and border you want.
>>
>>61113567
Best free program to burn an audio cd? Windows Media Player is not doing its job.
>>
>>61116671
>>61116682
Oh never mind, I see >>61116564 now
>>
File: page02_04.gif (81KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
page02_04.gif
81KB, 640x640px
>>61116682
Nope! I've got a Samsung smart TV, 2016. You can change it between a few colors, and you can make it bigger, but it can't decode any "fancy" subtitles, just plain text, positioning to a degree, and timing. It's locked into Samsung's own original font, which is unreadable and has a single pixel of a grey outline. Pic related.
>>
>>61116709
>>61116720
Yeah don't mind me, I'm just pissed that this shit supports a bigger chunk of my files than anything before, and it's like I'm back using whatever media player I used back in the early 2000s that didn't support formatted subtitles.
>>
File: 2017-06-27-134957_880x47_scrot.png (23KB, 880x47px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-27-134957_880x47_scrot.png
23KB, 880x47px
>>61113567
Anyone have any idea what's causing this? (C++, and the IDE is CLion)
It seems like my enum is somehow being corrupted and therefore failing the equality check. I've tried moving it around scopes and adding/removing the class specifier
>>
File: file.png (68KB, 824x476px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
68KB, 824x476px
dd if=/dev/zero of=small.file bs=1024 count=102400
dd if=/dev/zero of=large.file bs=1024
sync; sleep 60; sync
rm small.file large.file

How the fuck am I still able to recover files?
>>
>>61116671
But you said you have subs you want to turn into CCs to play on your TV. Why not just hardcode the subs into the video in the style you want and then your TV doesn't have to know about CC or subs.
>>
is there no image browser that supports searching by filepath or folder name? xnview and faststone is filename only
>>
>>61116759
Because I'm impatient, I'm worried about losing quality reincoding it wrong, and I kinda forgot about that option for a while. I get abnormally large files (~1GB for a ~3 min 480p video) when I've done it in the past. Gotta figure out how to encode properly I guess. Thanks, seriously, I had forgotten about that and I think it's finally come down to that.
>>
>>61116758
try
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdXX bs=1M

where XX is your drive letter and/or partition number
>>
Any securityfags lurking?

Say you have a block of encrypted text along with the cypher type and padding it was encrypted with, and you have the key along with all of its relevant information.

What software do you plug all of that in to decrypt the text?

From what i have i'm guessing its gpg but i'm not familiar enough with its syntax to make it work and i can't be any more specific for obvious reasons.

Thoughts? Or if it isn't too much trouble a working gpg command with XYZs in place of the relevant info?
>>
File: 1403927211575.jpg (44KB, 428x428px) Image search: [Google]
1403927211575.jpg
44KB, 428x428px
I have a bunch of torrents partially downloaded from what.cd and they aren't downloaded

and I get this error under the tracker status
"what.cd: Error: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found"

anything I can do to fix it so I can finish them.
>>
>>61116850
She looks to weak to be able to hurt anyone with that bat.
>>
How do I set vim up so that when I do :w to save a .txt file, it runs a special :Command _before_ saving?
>>
>>61116935
I guess override the 'w' command and do you shit then call it again?

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Replace_a_builtin_command_using_cabbrev
>>
I need a recc for a new music player.
Preferably something with a good battery life and multiple file format support.
I am so fucking sick of ipods.
>>
>>61117081
a cheap android phone kept on airplane mode to preserve battery?
>>
>>61117081
iPhone.
>>
>>61116935
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/autocmd.html

This should be the thing you want.
>>
>>61117093
I'd prefer something more "dedicated" to being just a music player. Mostly because I'd feel kinda weird carrying two phones around.
>>61117100
iphones don't have very good file format support
>>
>>61117081
I like my SanDisk Clip jam battery is about 7h-ish
>>
>>61117150
Alright, thanks anon. This is just about exactly what I was looking for.
>>
is this link legit :

https://thepiratebay.org/

I was using a private tracker but it got shutted down thanks to democracy.
>>
is there a google maps alternative that lets you map more than 10 stops?
>>
>>61117111
>>61117019
sweet thanks,
autocmd BufWrite *.txt :Command
did the trick.
>>
>>61117185
I think mapquest? Might be wrong though, haven't used it in a couple years.
>>
How do you find out quick if a motherboard out of a prebuilt pc would work with a standard psu or if it has to have a proprietary one

I don't see useful information looking up model numbers
>>
>>61117339
Google image search, see if the main power connector has 24 pins, if so, it's probably standard (exception being really old Dells and some workstations)
>>
what open source midi keyboard software do you guys use? if any.
>>
If I want to watch video originally recorded at 1080p (avoiding upscale/downscale and aiming for koality) would I need to get a tv with native 1080p resolution, or would it be better to get a newer 4k tv and just run it at 1080p res??
>>
Can ncurses be cross compiled to work in a Windows command prompt? I'm not really sure how it works, but I'm guessing no.
>>
does any /g/friend done/is doing a phd is CS? I'm at the point where I'm considering it. Only, the one thing holding me back is the idea I have about the workload. Since you pretty much have to be a professor to do research, I have a hard time seeing how preparation for lecture + lectures + correction + research work + reading your peers papers doesn't come up to at least 80h/week, and I don't see myself being able to handle more than 60h.

thx.
>>
I feel absolutely retarded but I've been fucking around with this for too long and need a hand. I'm on a fresh install of Slackware 14.2 and I can not for the life of me connect to fucking wifi. My card is recognized and I can scan for and see my router but can't manage to connect.

Can someone tell me/show me a retard way proof to do this? All I have is command line to do this. Don't have a graphical network tool installed.
>>
>>61117551
just don't give a shit about your students.
>>
>>61117662
that's kinda harsh on them senpai.
>>
if i have a vpn i can just dl from whatever torrent without worry right? aside from security of course.
>>
>>61113567
Whats the best data recovery software for deleted files.
>>
I think i torrented a virus (yes i know i'm retarded), since every time my computer turns on, a browser pops up with the url:
gamereleasedate.info/zpage.html
It's just russian ads, But it probably did other shit to my computer too, Anyone know how to get rid of it? Google turns up nothing helpful
>>
Can anyone make anything of this string? It's for a cryptography challenge. No info is given with it.
MFXG65DIMVZG63TFN5THI2DFONSWC3TPORUGK4TPNZSW6ZTUNBSXGZLBNZXXI2DFOJXW4ZLPMZ2GQZLTMVQW433UNBSXE33OMVXWM5DIMVZWKYLON52GQZLSN5XGK33GORUGK43FMFXG65DIMVZG63TFN5THI2DFONSWC3TPORUGK4TPNZSW6ZTUNBSXGZLBNZXXI2DFOJXW4ZLPMZ2GQZLTMVQW433UNBSXE33OMVXWM5DIMVZWKYLON52GQZLSN5XGK33GORUGK43F

>>61117782
As long as you trust the VPN provider.
>>
File: Plank_joke_2.png (225KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Plank_joke_2.png
225KB, 960x640px
Spilled water on laptop
It still charges, but any time I try to switch it on, the Caps key lights up, as does the power button but then it switched back off. Display shows nothing

Put simply, how screwed am I? This thing cost ~$1000
>>
>>61117883
Nevermind, Just used malwarebytes and it's gone.
>>
What's a free/cheap way to get an e-commerce store up?
>>
File: file.png (983B, 175x21px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
983B, 175x21px
You have no idea how much I hate this piece of shit called Deluge.
What other options are out there that I can use?
>>
what's the noisest loudest object i can buy/assemble for cheap?
could either run continuously or in burst, both are fine.
>>
>>61118410
Pots, pans and elbow grease.

>>61118300
People rate transmission.
>>
>>61117997
Probably Shopify is the easiest for the mentally challenged.
>>
Just curiosity questions

How much did 1TB hdd cost when they were first released to the public market?
They cost like $45 USD now.

Also, what's the highest capacity HDD available today for the general public?
>>
>>61118699
I know for sure you can buy 10 TB HDD easily. WD also seems to have a 12 TB HDD but I've never seen one.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11298/western-digital-starts-shipments-of-hgst-ultrastar-he12-12-tb-hdds

The first 1 TB HDD was manufactured by Hitachi GST in 2007 and costed 399 US dollars at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hard_disk_drives
http://www.pcworld.com/article/128400/article.html
>>
My laptop is cripplingly slow and I suspect it's because of the hard drive. It has an i7 and 8 gigs of ram. Is an SSD my only solution or is it maybe windows 10 the problem and Linux will make it fast?
>>
>>61118761
>you can buy 10 TB HDD easily
W-What?! Neato, that last ones I bought were 4TB.
>>
File: 1497547440469.jpg (239KB, 961x816px) Image search: [Google]
1497547440469.jpg
239KB, 961x816px
Anyone ever used Liquid Ultra on a GPU? I always thought it was permanent and wrecks whatever it comes into contact with, which is why I've never done it, but according to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tQx1LYDKsk

It's not.

I have a 1080Ti Aorus, and while the temps and noise levels are brilliant, bringing them down even further would be great. The Aorus card doesn't have any warranty stickers stopping you taking the heatsink off, and apparently Gigabyte doesn't really give a shit anyway. I was thinking if I ever had a problem with the card I could take the cooler off again, clean it up and slap some generic thermal compound on there and no one would be any the wiser.

Anyone ever used it on a GPU?
>>
>>61118761
seems interesting, thanks.
Although, it looks as if HDD have stagnated. All progress in 10 years have been... 11 more TBs?
>>
>>61118844
I haven't but I have used
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P5W4RU/?tag=qwiztek-20&creativeASIN=B002P5W4RU
On my gpu with cooler results. I don't remember what my temps are since I haven't gamed in a while but it for sure lowered the max temp by at least 3 degrees C
>>
>>61118891
No, not really.
>>
Why am I still stuck on Windows 10 1607?

Wtf when is 1703 being rolled out?
>>
File: 20170627_183534.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_183534.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My SanDisk microSD card works perfectly on my phone and tablet, but when I stick it in my laptop using the SD adapter it shows up as read-only. YES, THE WRITE SWITCH IS UNLOCKED, BEFORE YOU ASK. What should I do?
>>
>>61119046
Bump
>>
File: 2017-06-28_12-00-49.png (25KB, 1343x799px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28_12-00-49.png
25KB, 1343x799px
>>61118891
I made this just for you using the information from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hard_disk_drives
>>
>>61119151
come on bruh, I'm talking about relative progress. No shit terabytes today are fuckloads more than everything from the past.

I mean, the jump from MB HDD to GB HDD was pretty fucking big back then. 1 TB to 12 TB? That's not really very comparable.
We should be at PB HDD by now.
>>
>>61119046
Did you try unlocking the write switch?
>>
>>61119177
I hope you were ironic
>>
My CPU has been running hot for a while and went a bit too far recently. I cleaned everything but it clearly needs new paste so I decided to just buy a new cooler (was running stock).

At first I was looking at the hyper 212 or cryorig equivalent until I found out I might have to remove the whole motherboard and stuff to do the rear screw. I don't really want to have to do that because it's an old rig and bar the cpu overheating everything's working well.

Now I'll have to check if I can get to the back if I remove that case panel in which case problem solved but if not what do you think is the best aftermarket cooler that uses just the stock push-pins?

Im looking at the CM tx3 at the moment but that's just because it's the first thing I found fitting the bill.
>>
hi i need a recommendation for a vpn, need to stream movies from Finland. what is the best cheap one?
>>
>>61119172
Aren't ssd pretty much at price parity with hdds now?
>>
>>61119306
fucking 120 GB SSD are like the same price as a TB HDD and prices won't go down. It's been like this for 3 or so years.
Why won't SSD prices go down already?
>>
File: 2017-06-28_12-19-45.png (33KB, 1343x799px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28_12-19-45.png
33KB, 1343x799px
>>61119172
The transition between MB and GB was made in 1980 and it was only a 121% increase in storage.
The increase in storage today might be smaller than in the old times, but it's more consistent as well.

>>61119306
I fucking wish.
>>
How long can you keep a USB flash drive connected to machine and use it for reading only before it dies?
>>
I have a 10 Mbit/s (1.25 MB/s) upload speed yet I always seed stuff at anywhere from 10 to 500 KB/s. Why is that?
I've only once seeded something at over 1 MB/s.
>>
>webm uploading still fucked

FUCKING FIX THIS
>>
File: output.webm (192KB, 359x319px) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
192KB, 359x319px
>>61119661
>>
>>61119661
>>61119686
Hey, that worked. What seems to be the problem, anon?
4chanX is telling me all my images and webms are corrupt, but I just ignore it and post it anyways. It just werks.
>>
>>61119552
No one wants your dick vids.
>>
>>61119764
But "amateur" and "homemade" are among the most searched things.
>>
File: 1494522462484.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494522462484.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>61119686
>>61119696

>I can ignore it and post anyway

I'M FUCKING RETARDED
>>
Is there a way to get two different games to run on two monitors simultaneously?

I can get one alone to stick to the second monitor with Windows+shift+right, but once the other game is open they both snap to the main monitor.

I don't need to control both at once, but it would be nice to see both at once
>>
>>61119796
use windowed mode, not fullscreen

check out borderless gaming
>>
File: what to do.png (11KB, 399x455px) Image search: [Google]
what to do.png
11KB, 399x455px
I have Fiio E10K. Am I supposed to tick all those or not? Originally only 48 kHz was ticked.
>>
Is the hidemyass email service just vanished from the face of earth? i have some accounts with email ending in hmamail but i can't find where to log in to them anymore
>>
>>61113567
Akarin-chan~!
>>
>Plug in Hard Drive
>E:\ Not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
Is it game over for my external HDD? Is there any other way to get what's on it off of it?
>>
>>61120616
photorec

next time make a fucking backup
>>
>>61120632
chkdsk seemed to do the trick.
>>
>>61115596
maybe with a separate encrypted partition that you mount and decrypt manually
>>
Why is the "Android OS" process using a couple of MBs from my data plan every day? What's it doing?
>>
>>61118506
>transmission
Thank you, anon.
>>
I don't know Perl, but desperately need to modify a Perl script.
It's running as CGI. One of the libraries it includes has an error function - I want everything that calls this function to return HTTP response code 400.
What do?
>>
File: Git-Logo-2Color.png (6KB, 910x380px) Image search: [Google]
Git-Logo-2Color.png
6KB, 910x380px
>>61113567
why should I use git over dropbox (+ 1 year revert time)? it seems overly complicated for just the benefit of having the ability to revert code.
>>
how the fuck does gedit/pluma and pdf readers
remember which line I was reading in the document the last session.
How do I clean this shit.
>>
File: 1405453675071.jpg (17KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1405453675071.jpg
17KB, 411x292px
Do good 1440p IPS monitors below 200€ exist?
If yes, pls name. Thx.

If not, then what's the best, cheap 1440p monitor I could get? Either IPS or TI - IPS would be more comfy obviously
>>
All of a sudden whenever I try and post an image I get a "file is corrupt" error from 4chanX. Happens with both uploaded images from my hdd and image url links.
Anyone know what the F is going on?

This has been happening for about 4 or 5 days, so today's 4chanX update wasn't the thing that broke it.
>>
>>61121549
see >>61119696
>>
>Window I'm in randomly loses priority

Just what the fuck is going on here?
>>
File: 1458547209065.jpg (122KB, 1278x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1458547209065.jpg
122KB, 1278x1181px
>>61121543
well fuck, apperently not. I thought they were a lot cheaper by now where 4k gets a meme ;_;
>>
>I'm the last guy seeding a torrent
Should I stop seeding for shits and giggles?
2 people are downloading it.
>>
>>61121780
Do torrents actually verify your shit with some kind of hash? If not really, then I'd just modify like 1 bit or something to corrupt that shit
>>
>>61121801
They do.
>>
I never had a printer in my life, and literally don't know anything about it. Inkjet or laser for occasional home printing? Why?
>>
>>61121614
fuck I never thought of just posting it anyway and seeing what happens
thanks, just sent some 4chan gold over your way. enjoy friend
>>
>>61121821
Inkjet. Get a printer with RGB+BW cartridges. This combination was made for occasional home printing.
>>
>>61121821
>I never had a printer in my life
You're probably going to be printing so rarely you should get a laserjet, because any ink cartridge will dry up on you.
>>
>>61121929
That is a problem, i will indeed rarely print. Is laser much more expensive than inkjet? Also what are the costs of toners?
>>
File: red_00.jpg (132KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
red_00.jpg
132KB, 1417x1417px
everything related to google is loading super slow/time out in firefox (captcha, google search, etc)

everything is fine on chrome; tried firefox, firefox beta, firefox nightly, etc

how do I troubleshoot this
>>
File: 1497440108457.jpg (137KB, 1023x587px) Image search: [Google]
1497440108457.jpg
137KB, 1023x587px
I figure I should post here instead of making a new thread.
So My situation is kind of fucked, got BS degrees in Math and Astrophysics but financial problems preventing me from going to grad school and no one is hiring where I am unless they have 5+ years experience doing research and have a vagina. I know how to use Matlab and Python and started learning C before dropping the class to focus on a hellish math modelling class. I'm interested in eventually doing either physics research and or modelling of astrophysics phenomena but mostly just desperately need a job to not be homeless in a few months. What language should I teach myself to seem more appealing to hire?

I only have an hp craptop with windows and limited storage and it's on it's last legs, was using a virtual machine with ubuntu while starting to learn C but it's been gone for a while.
Please halp. General advice on whoring myself also appreciated.
>>
>>61121975
Try changing your dns to 8.8.8.8
>>
>>61119190
No he's just being sarcastic.
>>
File: rrslipstream.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rrslipstream.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
I don't really play mobile games at all but as the worlds only Ridge Racer fan I sneak games of Slipstream while I'm not busy.

I currently have a Galaxy S 4, but I plan on upgrading sometime, not necessarily soon, how can I ensure I keep my save file?
>>
File: Intel_xeon_inside.jpg (15KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Intel_xeon_inside.jpg
15KB, 250x188px
>>61113567
What's up with people recently suggesting Xeon (x5650, x5660, x5670) saying its the same as some i7 and way better than a i5-4460?
>>
>>61122178
and its supposed to cost just roughly 20-30$
>>
>>61122178
Because since some time they are cheap, have features like ECC enabled by default, they overclock easily (the Nehalem and Westmere ones) and the dies are mostly i7's without iGPU.
>>
>>61115265
Backup your data and replace asap. That sound is abnormal and typical for dying harddisks. HD Tune data also looks abnormal. Besides, 3TB Seagate drives are very prone to failure. So replace asap
>>
File: halp.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Trying to get a raspberry pi zero w to work but i've tried 2 sds and i've tried to use both jessie and jessie lite.
What am i doing wrong?
>>
>>61122337
You fucked up your partitioning and formatting
>>
>>61122375
I used SDformatter and then i mounted with Etcher. How could i possibly fuck up?
>>
>>61121985
Scala, R, Double down on Python and Numpy/pandas.

Grab a free AWS/Google bucket and learn how to orchestrate data services. You could spin it in to Business Analytics in the meantime.
>>
Looking for an ips 27" 2560x1440 G-sync.
I'm currently hesitating between Acer XB271HU & Viewsonic XG2703-GS (i ditched the asus pg279q cause many people are complaining of poor quality test and the aoc ag271qg because i'm not very familiar with this brand). What is you opinion between these two? Is there a better option within these specs ?
>>
>>61122522
What free aws bucket?
>>
2GB 1080p rip
2GB sd rip of the same movie.
Which one will look better on a 1080p display? Identical?
What about a 720p display?
>>
I'm trying to edit on sony vegas but when i convert a mkv file to mp4 i'm losing the subtitles.
Is there any way to fix the problem ?
>>
What's the best downstream media player I can connect to a TV/receiver that will play 1080p video with 5.1 surround encoding (DTS/Dolby) from a networked media server?

Right now I'm using an old laptop, but that thing is on its last legs. Will some of the newer raspberry pi systems handle this or would I be better off with something else?
>>
>>61122672
Well, even if the 480p version has a higher bitrate, it's missing quite a lot of pixels, so I'm inclined to say that the 1080p version will look better on a 1080p display.
If you're using a 720p display, though, then I don't really know. The extra bitrate from the 480p version and the fact that the 480p is closer to 720p might make it look better than the 1080p version, but I really don't know.
>>
>>61122718
You could extract the subtitle stream using ffmpeg and then add it later.
It's better to ask this question in the sony vegas forums or subreddit, though.
>>
>>61122522
So how much do java and C actually coincide with being memes? I thought it was really important to learn C since all the CS majors and professors were completely arrogant shits who constantly said anyone who doesn't program in C isn't a programmer. Also never even looked into web service stuff, how is that related to modelling or physics?
>>
>>61113826
>I'm the only fucking user of the PC, of course I'm the fucking admin.
Not quite. Windows is complaining that you're the system administrator, not that you're an administrator account. For some reason (likely because you've turned off UAC) you're running with the permissions of the "SYSTEM" builtin account for maintenance and administrative tasks (like Linux's "superuser"), which, for security purposes, now can't run untrusted software.
>>
>>61122753
>Well, even if the 480p version has a higher bitrate, it's missing quite a lot of pixels, so I'm inclined to say that the 1080p version will look better on a 1080p display.
You're taking into account that the display will upscale it to 1080p right?

I'm trying to decide if I should get a bitstarved 1080p release or get the dvd and rip the movie in sd myself. Just don't know if the quality would be better.
>>
>>61122901
Mate in my experience with video encoding it's better to test all your hypothesis and then see the results instead of just guessing.
>>
File: wtf.png (96KB, 1302x289px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
96KB, 1302x289px
what the fuck do I do? i cant install google cuz thats the fucking botnet. i swear update 54 ruined my fucking firefox
>>
>>61123023
Ruined what?
You are using 1gb of your ram.
You bought your ram to use it.
If you didnt intend on using your ram, why did you buy so much?
Your system is respond to the demand you are putting on it,by using your resources.You want this to happen or literally nothing would work and then you would bitch about that.
linuxatmyram.com
>>
>>61122771
Alright i'll try that.
I want to make some anime memes so I thought that this was a common problem but it doesn't seems like it, weird.
>>
>>61123023
>>61123049
I should have explained better, my firefox fucking lags, youtube for example will take a while to pause a video or change pages. its not exactly the ram im using its the fact that this shit is lagging so much it makes using youtube or 4chan harder.
>>
>>61123111
>youtube
Completely reliable to your hardware.If your hardware is lacking what else can you expect?
>4chan
So a networking issue then?
>>
Whats the best email to use bysides gmail?
>>
>>61123111
>lags
that's just firefox
>>
>>61123023
Probably a buggy addon.
Try with a new profile.
>>
firstly, is it possible to download files in a torrent (in utorrent) one by one (like completing one before starting the next)?

and if so will it mean downloading the whole torrent takes more time than usual?

thanks
>>
>>61123136
no, not like an opening a webm or image problem, im saying that ill move my mouse over to digits to reply to an anon for example and it'll take like 30 fucking seconds for the mouse and firefox to register that i want to reply to an anon, same with hyperlink or opening an image. internet is perfect. and other game and programs work perfectly.

im gonna restart since i havent so maybe thats it. hopefully.
>>
>>61123251
yes
yes
>>
>>61123253
I dont believe you
>>
Since we're talking about shitty browsers, does anybody know why my Chrome will freeze on its own settings page? It also freezes or straight up doesn't load web pages while IE and FF do. I'm planning on formatting this PC and reinstalling windows soon, but I still wonder why this thing happens.
I've already uninstalled it and reinstalled it and the problem is still there.
>>
are usb mice block devices or character devices?
>>
3D printers - I have an older motorcycle that a lot of the parts aren't made anymore. Someone was telling me that 3D printers can print with composite which will be more durable than the aluminium/metal parts on my bike. What do I need to get to be able to print parts? (Less than a foot square.)
>>
>>61123263
cheers, could you tell me how to make them dl one by one
>>
>>61123692
There should be an option in your torrent client
>>
>>61121543
Qnix monitors from south korea
>>
>>61123707
i can only think you mean the priority settings but they still download multiple files at once

is there a different way?
>>
>>61123569
Durability is not a property of home-printed items.
You're better looking for companies that 3D print parts for you, since they'd have better manufacturing. Forget printing a real functional part at home- useful 3D printing starts at like $10,000
>>
File: Capture.png (20KB, 496x715px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
20KB, 496x715px
After having my 280x under load for a while, it'll start having these spikes of inactivity that last a second every so often

Anyone know what could be causing this? It does this no matter what the clock speed or power limit is.
>>
>>61123815
No, you can set it to download sequentially
>>
>>61123023
Try disabling hardware acceleration in FF
>>
>>61123844
Good to know. I was told from a few people that you can "pick up a $100 3D printer and make composite parts" . There's a local shop that can do casts, the part I was wanting to do would be about $300. It's a $40 part off eBay.. when you can find it. I thought that you could get a cheaper printer but then splurge on the "paper" to make something really durable. Do you know of introductory websites? I was told I need a scanner as well as a printer but I thought it'd be all in one?
>>
>>61121975
Wait for a few hours, I had Google probs earlier (especially with captcha), probably depends on where you are but it's likely to solve itself.
>>
File: gibmonie.png (5KB, 241x79px) Image search: [Google]
gibmonie.png
5KB, 241x79px
It's een saying this shit for over a week now, are they ever going to do anything or is this just like the winzip nag screen?
Win 7 Pro.
>>
>>61121652

Please respond
>>
>>61124194
Explain more what you mean by priority.
Do you mean window focus?
>>
I want to build a home server to store the media and shit and stream it to an Intel stick and my main PC, but I also want to use it as a minecraft server, so I want at least 8GB.
What could be the cheapest shit over there? What xenon should I get? I already have a case and some stuff like the power supply and 8GB of DDR3 RAM.
>>
>>61124219

Yeah
>>
>>61124070
doesn't look like the official nag poopup
methinks you have malware
>>
>>61113567
if I want to keep a tracker private, is it overzealous to keep the tracker behind an acl that restricts to limited ip's if having the privacy flag and only the private tracker set in the torrent file is enforced?
>>
File: it's fucked.jpg (298KB, 1430x1905px) Image search: [Google]
it's fucked.jpg
298KB, 1430x1905px
>>61124280
Probably someone is remote controlling your PC.
>>61124308
nah, it does need to activate. I looked in computer properties and it's saying to activate next to the serial number.
>>
>>61124400
>Probably someone is remote controlling your PC.

Nice fear mongering, now what is it really.
>>
File: 1152.png (1MB, 1400x1831px) Image search: [Google]
1152.png
1MB, 1400x1831px
where is the best place to learn c# in the current visual studio with no previous experience in programming?
>>
>>61124409
disconnect from the internet and see if it still happens.
>>
File: 1495174420420.jpg (21KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1495174420420.jpg
21KB, 307x462px
I'm trying to run a program (MP3Gain). Every time I try to run it though, an unrelated .msi file of an old game I had runs in its place and doesn't let the damn thing run.
Reinstalling does nothing; it runs fine the first time the wizard is done installing it, but any subsequent run triggers the msi file and I have no fucking idea why or how these two are even remotely related.

What is going on?
>>
>>61124420

It doesn't happen that often, sometimes I'll be watching a video and the bar with the title will turn white, then back to black(since that's the color I'm using)
>>
For c++ programmers :
using data_is = std::pair<int, std::string>;
const std::vector<data_is> v {
{ 2, "e" },
{ 3, "k" },
{ 1, "k" }
};

//or data_is
for(auto p: v)
{
std::cout << p.first << " : " << p.second << std::endl;
}

In the code above, this is better to use auto or data_is in the for loop ?
>>
File: 4 00.00.04-00.00.21.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
4 00.00.04-00.00.21.webm
3MB, 853x480px
I'm using this
https://pastebin.com/z1jRXxXd (embed)
To generate links to DLsite based on its code number, however the link doesn't follow the :visited Selector on the websites.

How do I add it?
>>
I made a bootable USB stick for Debian and, since the installing process is SO UNEXPECTEDLY AND UNNECESSARILY HARD, I am turning the flash drive back into a normal one. But how? I googled it, but the instructions were either for Windows (I use Ubuntu — as you can see, I’m trying to change) or did not work (changing the formatting to fat gave me an error message, saying that the drive was partitioned). Tell me what to do.
>>
File: nokia 6700 classic gold edition.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
nokia 6700 classic gold edition.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
I got a Nokia 6700 Classic Gold Edition phone (pic related) from someone who didn't want it anymore. Is it worth keeping or should I sell it? I have the box the phone came in itself, as well as a bunch of accessories, the charger, and a user manual that's in Russian. The phone is pretty much brand-new, was hardly used by the person who gave it to me, and it works and charges normally. I'm not completely sure how to check if it's unlocked or not though. I would dial *#06# and put the IMEI number into a website that checks it, right? Never did this before and my phone's SIM card is too small to go into the slot.
>>
File: 1498528859686.gif (2MB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
1498528859686.gif
2MB, 700x394px
Does this make sense at all?

1. Create sysprepped macrium image on main (aka old) machine
3. Hook up old HDD with saved image to new machine
2. Boot up new machine with windows PE environment CD with macrium on it
3. Select image stored on old HDD and restore it to the main new HDD of the new build
4. ???
5. Use windows just like before after configuring the restored image/installing the new drivers and shit
6. Maybe update ryzen BIOS also if it spergs around

I'd *really* like to keep my current win 7 installation with all the important programs on it so i'm very much willing to go thru all this hassle, just curious if this is pretty much a foolproof method or no
>>
>>61124622
Looks like the resale value isn't too high. Maybe you should keep it, it's going to get cooler in the future. Also, is the gold on the phone real? I couldn’t find out.
>>
>>61124678
The person who gave it to me said the gold was real, but the back cover of the phone says "Please Recycle! Stainless Steel"; I know that probably means only the back cover is steel and not the rest of the phone though.The booklet would probably say whether or not it's real, but I can't read Russian.
>>
>>61124601
>Tell me what to do
Just carry on making the Debian boot drive. Use Unetbootin. Why is it so hard?
>>
recommendations on verbose file shredder programs for windows?
>>
>>61124678

>>61124794 here, I looked into the phone more and everywhere I looked says that the Gold Edition has a 18k gold-plated body so I'm inclined to believe that the phone does have real gold on it.
>>
>>61124905
>'This firmware is proprietary, if you have a CD with this firmware, insert it now'
>extremely esoteric network configuration — WHY IS THAT EVEN NEEDED!
Haven't even gotten farther than that, unplugged the flash drive and continued my business.
>>
>>61125068
Next time post on a thread here asking what to do while you're trying to do it.
>>
>>61124905
Also, should I use the tiny download from the Debian website or the big, >1Gb download?
>>
>>61125119
Like, with screenshots and updates?
>>
>>61125050
Well. the golden layer would be extremely thin and very little gold would be recovered from the device, so I would not use it for that. Keep it or find some enthusiast to sell it to.
>>
Why are prototypes forced in C++?
What's the benefit of using them as opposed to defining the method when declaring it?
>>
>>61125129
Get the big one
>>61125145
Yes, exactly like that.
>>
>>61125129
Get the netinstall. Make sure the computer you're installing is plugged into ethernet (not wi-fi) while installing. You'll download only what you need for your chosen install options.
>>
>>61125167
Guess I'll keep it for the time being then. Thanks anon
>>
best Chrome alternative for Windows?(not Firefox)
>>
>>61125536
Firefox.

Seriously, that's it. Every other browser either is Chrome or is a skin on top of Chrome. (IE is legacy junk for businesses that built web apps that require IE6 and Java. Edge doesn't even really count as a browser.)
>>
New thread: >>61125626
>>
>>61125178
Anyone?
>>
>>61121821
depends on your needs, but be warned that not printing often with inkjets is wasteful, they need frequent ink flow in order to not permanently clog up, they maintain themselves, but this means they waste ink constantly, whether you use them or not (and just leaving them unplugged is just gauranteeing it to clog up)
>>
>>61122396
never heard of either of those tools
>>
>>61124070
Use the slmgr rearm command (resets the grace period) and see if you still get prompts after rebooting.
>>
>>61126904
Etcher is basically a fancy version of win32diskimager and SDformatter just formats SDs
>>
>>61124423
get the windows installer cleanup util (its a microsoft tool), sounds like the database of msi installed programs is borked
>>
>>61127042
so you wrote a pre-existing full-disk-image to the sd card?
are you sure the image you used is designed for your specific hardware?
>>
>>61125536
Ungoogled Chromium
>>
>>61127081
I used Jessie Lite that is approved for rasp pi use.
>>
>>61123938
the best you could do without spending huge money is to print something that can be turned into a mould which then can be used to cast metal items
but this still needs;
- the skills to do so, working with molten metals is not something just anyone can safely do
- you need to source or design the 3D models you need, scanning can only get you so far, and basically nothing for a task such as spare motocycle parts is going to be doable without very tightly made 3D models
- at least some traditional machining to finish up the parts, as your mould won't be terribly high quality
>>
File: 1494215283595.png (73KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1494215283595.png
73KB, 900x900px
>>61127073
Alright, I deleted the game's msi file with that tool because that was the one conflicting, and it looks like now both MP3Gain actually works, and the game still functions. I hope it doesn't snowball into something worse later.

Thanks anon.
>>
i don't know where to ask this
i just got my computer repaired, and now my wacom tablet doesn't work
it says it doesn't work on 3.0 USB ports
is there anything i can do?
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.