[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 31

File: 1485809756973.jpg (146KB, 1160x629px) Image search: [Google]
1485809756973.jpg
146KB, 1160x629px
/sqt/
>>
This is the proper place for this mundane of a question.

Does anyone know if there is any real advantage to having the 3rd ed. of the CLRS Intro to Algorithms book as opposed to just settling for the 2nd ed.?

Thanks
>>
>>60442266
Then, risking to be called out, where can I find pages that tell me which side is X sided?

On another point, fast news pages exists then?
>>
>>60442337
>implying you can't just pirate it.
>>
>>60442376

Perhaps it's placebo but I feel that I retain more when I read a physical copy plus both are relatively cheap as far textbooks go on abebooks
>>
It is a .mkv file. I'm using MPC-HC,
and when I speed up the playback the subs go out of sync. It happens when I have VSFilter on, it werks on internal renderer, but I need VSFilter. How to fix this? What could be causing the desync in VSFilter?
>>
>>60442392
I gotcha. the 2nd edition seems to be from 2001 and 3rd from 2009, with only 8 years of difference. the thing about comp sci is that the basics have been the same for like 20+ years. just get the 2nd.
>>
File: aa.jpg (143KB, 794x768px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
143KB, 794x768px
Anyone else seeing ads like this on 4chan?
>>
>>60442484
I am, yeah. I have ublock disabled on 4chan though.
>>
Another book question.

I'm versed in C++ up to and including classes.

For learning more about the language should I read "The C++ Programming Language", "A Tour of C++", or the "C++ Primer"

Thanks again.
>>
>>60442328
Can Windows be installed off of an external HDD? I don't own a flash drive.
>>
>>60442484
>balding drumpftard
>>
I really like how malwarebytes has these pop ups when it blocks a malicious ip but I don't want to pay for premium

What are my options for freeware that does the same thing?
>>
How real is this WannaCry business that I keep hearing now?

I don't have any proper anti virus software on my PC except for some free edition of Avira.
>>
>>60442640

I haven't tried it myself but I would assume so. It is a form of bootable media isn't it?
>>
>>60442675
it is incredibly real, if you have unpatched windows, you are bonered. It uses an exploit that is wormable, so if your router lets stuff in you are done. If you connect to a network with infected devices you are done, etc.
>>
>>60442675

I would say it's not much to worry about as an individual, it appears that it's mainly been infecting corporations and larger networks like hospitals.

From what I've heard it's totally preventable by the March Windows update (assuming you're using Windows) and it's a nonproblem for GNU/Linux.
>>
How do I h4X a facebook?
>>
Problem: I can't boot Linux up from a hard drive. Pen drives work fine, but hard drives get a No Bootable Device error. Secureboot is off. Tested the hard drive in another laptop and it boots up without any trouble, so the problem seems to be in the Acer hardware.

Laptop model: Acer Aspire ES11, uses UEFI

Over the past few days I've been working on getting past this problem, I've tried three different distros and read dozens of guides, some of which advise resetting the GPT (GUID Partition Table) record. This gets a write error.
Others advise making the new boot trusted. There is no option for this on this model, though I've seen screenshots of other Acer laptops that do have it.

So anyway, to get right to the point, what is the quickest way to commit suicide without access to firearms or poison?
>>
>>60442640
You'd probably have to partition off a piece of the HDD for it to work properly.
>>
>>60442708
I've been keeping up with the essential updates on my Win7 PC. I'm just going to try and install the other optional updates I have in my Control Panel.
>>
File: f3a5264b73.jpg (17KB, 212x262px) Image search: [Google]
f3a5264b73.jpg
17KB, 212x262px
Looking to upgrade my gpu from a gtx580 to a 1050ti, will my i5 750 bottleneck it? Am I better off getting a cheaper card and upgrading my cpu as well? I apologize in advance for my tech illiteracy.
>>
How do I mod a dll? I tried resource hacker but when I substitute an icon in shell.dll it changes the item number and I can't adjust it.
>>
I'm smarter than John Carmack
>>
File: 128GB USB 3.0.jpg (10KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
128GB USB 3.0.jpg
10KB, 450x450px
bought a 128GB samsung usb 3.0 drive with phone connectivity.

i have used it for over 100gb before.

i recently used it as a boot drive for a windows 10 install for an old thinkpad t-420.

now it claims to only have a 32gb capacity.

what gives?, how do i fix?

>google search is too scattered for this specific problem.
>>
What is the correct way of saying "I learned the basics of Linux" for the purpose of impressing a teacher?

You guys yammer on about GNU/Linux when in reality I just mean I have been using Linux Mint for so long (and tried other distros) that I can use it well. Thanks!
>>
File: serveimage.png (411KB, 504x676px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
411KB, 504x676px
>>60442837

Sure you are John
>>
>>60442899
"i have a working knowledge of linux, i thought you gnu"
>>
>>60442917
My sides
>>
what is the most redpilled laptop to buy?
>>
>>60442895
Since you used it for a Windows install, I'll just assume you're running Windows
Open CMD
diskpart
list disk
sel disk (disk # of your USB drive)
clean
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

You're done.
>>
File: 1494456240485.jpg (23KB, 384x437px) Image search: [Google]
1494456240485.jpg
23KB, 384x437px
I'm using Columns UI and the filter has two buttons next to it, "favorite" and "clear"

It let's me remove the "clear" button to clear my favorites with, but I can't remove the ugly favorite button.

Does anyone know how to get rid of it?
>>
I have way more computers than I need don't judge me but I just did a cleaning on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines and I can't get them to update worth a shit. They both get stuck at checking for updates and just hang there for hours.

I googled a bit and it tells me to reset the update service and all this shit but none of it works.
>>
>>60442955
Wait I'm stupid as fuck
before "format fs=ntfs quick"
do:
create part pri
>>
File: 1489700878364.jpg (108KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1489700878364.jpg
108KB, 1000x750px
I did a clean install of Windows 7. What is the best way to download the security updates while avoiding the telemetry updates? Is there a list to go through or an easier way to install just the non-telemetry updates?
>>
>>60442955
>>60442895
or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TRWUJ1oZHc
>>
>>60442980
A guide like this does what you want
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/
It's not just updates that do telemetry, so you need to block hosts etc
>>
>>60442999
It's just a video detailing exactly what I already explained
I prefer text tutorials so I typed it out rather than just linking a video
Either method works though, as long as you get the problem sorted. Good luck!
>>
What would happen if I just used a LiveUSB for word processing and shitposting, and saved all permanent data on a second USB drive?
Say, what would the damage be after a year of that kind of regular use?

My question has nothing to do with being unable to boot up from a hard drive on my Acer Aspire ES11 laptop.
>>
>>60442999
>>60442955
thank you both. the video worked for me. almost identical solutions.
128 billion bytes back at my beckon call.
>>
>>60443016
Just backup the data that's on that second USB to the cloud to be safe
Or some other storage medium
You'll be fine as long as you have a second copy of the data.
>>
>>60442956
forget doge,
khat = new meme!
>>
>>60443000
Cool. That helps a lot to get started. Thank you.
I have one more question. Are the monthly quality rollups okay to install such as the May rollup? I didn't see anything about it on the page unless I completely missed it.
>>
File: 1492719043537.jpg (53KB, 464x651px) Image search: [Google]
1492719043537.jpg
53KB, 464x651px
>>60443043
Have another one

Honestly I'm immensely frustrated right now
I was dissatisfied with default user interface foobar, but columns seems somehow worse
Locking panels to their size keeps not working properly, the window size isn't locked like it would be with default foobar, this is just shit

I can't even see how many items are in a playlist if I don't open it and count them

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have a music player that doesn't just have a blank field where I can type in song names to find them in my library, no who would want that lets put some faggot button there you can't get rid off wouldn't that be hilarious
Fuck this
>>
I'm currently a student majoring in psychology and I'm not sure if this is what I want to do (idk if I'll survive long enough to see my master's). Is computer science all that's it cracked up to be? I have four friends who are majoring in it and they all laugh at me for picking psychology over cs.
>>
>>60442717
Latest update, I know you're all on the edge of your seats.
I successfully restored the GPT record by giving the hard drive a password, which for some reason allowed the laptop to write the laptoppy computer thing on the laptop's brain. Yes.

However, this accomplished jack shit. I reinstalled Fedora on the new GPT-friendly thing and also got a No Bootable Device error.

I attempted booting the HDD from a SATA-USB link like a LiveUSB, but this was not recognised by the computer.

>>60443016
I've tried using a LiveUSB boot in the same way that I would use a normal HDD installed operating system, but it turns out that it is unable to access data on other USB drives or USB-hooked-up hard drives. So that means it is completely useless.

So anyway, since Linux is apparently useless and incompatible with my non-refundable new laptop, whose name, Acer Aspire ES11, will forever resonate in my nightmares, my only option left seems to be Winblows.

Could someone remind me how to pirate Winblows? I haven't done it in like seven years.
>>
>>60443166

First off, this is the kind of stupid question that belongs more in /adv/ than in /g/.

Secondly, people who laugh at other for their major choice didn't pick their major because they love it, they likely picked it for job security in which case they'll likely be miserable because they didn't try to strive at what they love but at rather what they believed to be trendy and marketable.

If you like psychology and could see yourself doing psychology long term than I think you should do it.

It's easier to make more money with a CS degree sure, but if you have passion for your field I'm sure you can find your way to making CS money albeit with a little more education.

tl;dr If you like it stick with it, if you don't don't
>>
Does pointing a table fan at the laptop's ventilation cools it
>>
File: 1489007264258.jpg (24KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
1489007264258.jpg
24KB, 318x313px
>>60443116
>ok this is bullshit let's go back default user interface then
>album art display can't be set to just display what is currently playing and keep going to [no image] when I click on or highlight absolutely fucking anything at all
>facets component takes fucking forever to load album art
>double clicking on playlists doesn't start to play them, you need to click on a playlist and then double click a random item in the playlist viewer to get it to start
>>
There's this video:
https://youtu.be/ra9cMaw4gWo [Open]

Can anyone post the screenshot of only the top left corner when the person is actually racing? Also post the time when you took screenshot.

Also can anyone confirm that it is playable in 2160p60 on youtube?
>>
Has there been any WannaCry update released for Windows 7 RTM? The only one I can find on Microsoft's page is for 7 SP1.
>>
fast photo viewer that natively supports gif and webm for windows?
>>
>>60443440
>and webm
no
>>
>>60443364
No
>>
>>60442328
Is configuring a dual boot in grub difficult(in Arch)?
I need a Windows machine for my study.
>>
>>60443440
MPV or MPC+HC for webm.
Webm is video even if it seems more like a gif due to the forced lack of audio on most of 4chan.
>>
>>60443280
Yes, to some degree.
It gives it more airflow.
>>
>>60443490
Nah, you just need to install os-prober and do
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
. I couldn't ever get it working with loader-cracked windows 7 for some reason though.
>>
>>60443509
Forgot to mention, but you need to put the table fan under the laptops fan! XDD
>>
File: 09103650.png (17KB, 185x197px) Image search: [Google]
09103650.png
17KB, 185x197px
>Mouse wheel is louder than two deaf retards fucking

Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?
Asking before I take my mouse apart.
>>
How do you deal with creeping botnet apathy? Every day feels like more and more of a pointless struggle. Likes half a decade from now we will have some stupid internet ID system like South Korea has, to "protect the children" or whatever excuse they come up with. Not like 90% of people even care, so of course it keeps getting worse and worse. Not like I want to give up but some days I wonder what the point is.
>>
>>60443597
Just take it apart and clean it from cum dust.
That should do the job.
>>
>>60443649
It was loud from the factory, if anything cum dust would silence it.
>>
About to return a school owned computer for the summer, what's the best way to delete all data? It got Windows 10 Pro, would it be stupid to activate BitLocker, encrypt everything and then restore it?
>>
>>60443676
Okey you got me, open it and put some W40 on the moving part of the scroll wheel.
>>
>>60443693
Fill its hard disk completely with large files, then encrypt it and format.
>>
>>60443732
Why would filling it with large file help if it's already encrypted?
>>
>>60443693
low level format
>>
>>60443769
Just that or with BitLocker on?
>>
>>60443703
>>60443597
Took it apart, put a piece of plastic in between the clicker. Now it's silent.
>>
>>60442328
My computer is broken, do you know what's wrong with it? It's an hp. Thanks.
>>
>>60443807
Here have fun
>>
>>60443829
But that doesn't answer my question. I tried that watercooling thingy, but it failed.
>>
File: fragzeichen2.png (194KB, 562x389px) Image search: [Google]
fragzeichen2.png
194KB, 562x389px
>>60442328
When Unix documentation refers to commands like
time (1)
or ls (4) or whatever, what does the number mean?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
what is the most redpilled laptop to buy?
>>
>>60443938
it's referring to the unix manual sections
>1 User Commands
>2 System Calls
>3 C Library Functions
>4 Devices and Special Files
>5 File Formats and Conventions
>6 Games et. al.
>7 Miscellanea
>8 System Administration tool and Daemons
>>
>>60443988
x60 or t60
>>
File: thank you.jpg (585KB, 1280x1301px) Image search: [Google]
thank you.jpg
585KB, 1280x1301px
>>60444021
>>
So I bought this shit cheap phone on ebay and it has an app that keeps installing shit on it's own from the play store.

I rooted phone and tried to delete app but when i restart it reappears.

How do I actually access the files to delete them?

I've opened the folders on pc and deleted then on restart they're all back again

How can I get into the files and make them stop please!
>>
Nightly broke my addons again.
>>
Did 'upgrading' to windows 10 from windows 7 invalidate the license you have for windows 7?
I'm wondering whether the license key for windows 7 would still be valid to install with after having installed windows 10.
>>
>>60444448
nah

I "upgraded" Windows 10, then reinstalled Windows 7 and was good with the same Windows 7 key I used for 10
>>
What is a really comfortable mouse to use that is plugandplay
>>
why is cdrom spinning speed not a constant?
why is inner spinning faster and outer spinnig slower?
>>
>>60444640

Are you joking?
>>
Hello, I'm very sorry for the long post, had trouble writing it in short.

I am looking to upgrade from a pirated Windows 7 (activated with Dazloader, which was NOT downloaded from official mydigitallife forums but somewhere else I don't remember)

I would like to upgrade to a purchased version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit because my cousin gifted me an official version (the USB-stick version)

However I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just replace my HDD (I've got two in there, both had Windows on there activated the same way) or perhaps even other parts of my computer to prevent any issues (thinking of maybe Motherboard because flash memory or BIOS memory)

I will explain why I think it could give me problems.

I'm a bit worried the pirated version or the loader I used it with which may not have been completely safe will leave it's tracks on my HDD (read about cleaning HDD only hides the files and allows them to be overwritten but doesn't delete) which then may cause my official version key, which my cousin has bought me, to be duplicated and used in the dazloader program or something else that the pirated version had that's left on either the motherboard or HDDs might rip / duplicate my official version or bug it in a way or another.

TL;DR - Would it be better to replace certain parts of the computer for maximum safety when I want to upgrade from a pirated Windows 7 (activated with Dazloader downloaded not from mydigitallife) to a purchased official Windows 10?
I'm looking very much forward to receiving answer(s), hope someone can help me out, would be great!
Sorry for the long post,thank you very much for reading!
>>
I'm about to buy the Linux meme.

Is Neon a good option?

Simple Internet use and some minor multimedia stuff only
>>
>>60444672
no
>>
Is Chromecast not supposed to work with Chromium on Linux?

Is it not supposed to work on Chromium at all?
>>
Is there any kind of movie editing program that allows me to cut the frame a little bit?

I need short movie to be used as a part of product presentation and I wanted to cut out the part of the frame that doesn't show the product at all, but instead it shows my ugly mug.
>>
>>60444878
It's supposed to work on both.

What distro are you on?
>>
File: download.gif (11KB, 215x324px) Image search: [Google]
download.gif
11KB, 215x324px
>>60444640
>why is cdrom spinning speed not a constant?
The laser needs to be relocated to the right sector(kernel sends the sector information)
>why is inner spinning faster and outer spinnig slower?
Actually the inner is spinning slower but the read is quicker.
>>
File: wihwiw.png (7KB, 786x495px) Image search: [Google]
wihwiw.png
7KB, 786x495px
>>60445035
It's more or less like this
>>
>>60445077
you could do a layer on top with chromakey in after effects or vega if the right side is static or doesn't clip the product
>>
>>60444674
Please respond, I've been trying to get an answer since 4 threads now
>>
>>60444714
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI&t=210s
>>
>>60445112
just do a full wipe when you reinstall. windows doesn't really care about people pirating windows as much as you think.
>>
>>60445058
>Actually the inner is spinning slower but the read is quicker.
yes this is my question, everywhere online is written that constant linear vilocity spins the disk faster when used around the middle and slower when going to the outer
>>
>>60445136
Thank you, a full wipe would be done trough the Windows install right?
I will start the Windows 10 installer and choose to format / wipe the disc there or should I hook it up to another PC and clean beforehand?
Also, one final question please, do you think the remains of the Windows Loader could have a negative effect on my new fresh install of Windows?
Perhaps it duplicates my legit key and uses it in their program or will corrupt my Windows files in one way or another.
Hope that you can answer this final question I have too, would be much appreciated. :)
>>
>>60445057
openSUSE Tumbleweed.
>>
>>60445325
You should flash the uefi bios with latest version I guess. I'm not sure how daz loader works with bios but I know it can.
>>
>>60445358
Could you please explain me how I do this before I make any mistakes?
>>
Can a faulty DisplayPort or a faulty USB port on a motherboard be caused by the CPU or PSU, or can it only be a fault with the board itself? Neither the DisplayPort nor USB port work in newly flashed BIOS with defaults loaded. (It's only 1 of the board's 8 USB ports that doesn't work). No physical damage to the ports. RMA'd the board and the manufacturer say there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>60445401
google "daz loader uefi" to research how it effects it and also google "how to update uefi"
>>
Why are there no CPUs with 3,5 or 7 cores?
>>
>>60445473
thanks I will do
>>
Anyone know where I can buy Lemote hardware? I want the LX-6103 mini ITX board
>>
Where to get PTC Creo (Full Version, not student) for free?
>>
test
>>
I have an LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor and an Asus VS228 21.5 inch monitor. 32 inches is big as shit, so it takes up most of my desk space. I'd like to mount or attach the smaller Asus monitor to the LG monitor so I can remove the stand from the Asus to get some more desk space. I have an old 21.5 inch Acer in my closet right now as well (because it won't fit on the desk), and it'd be nice to attach that on the other side of the giant LG as well, though not necessary if not possible.

I'm new to mounting monitors, so if someone could help me out that'd be great. Again- 32 inch i want in the middle still on its stand, smaller monitors connected to it on the sides without their stands.
>>
>>60442484
Yes, I used uBlock to block the element
>>
I'm trying to install Windows 10 from a USB, but I keep running into this error message once the installation starts:
"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the installation"

Before this I had an issue with Windows not recognising any partitions it could use, despite displaying the big unallocated NTFS-formatted partition on the list. I get around this by briefly pulling out the install USB, putting it back in, and refreshing the list, then selecting the unallocated partition. Then I get the error I mentioned above, "Windows could not prepare..."

When I restart and try again, I get the same no valid partition error, except this time the unallocated space has been partitioned into standard Windows partitions, presumably by the previous install attempt. I delete these partitions, remove and re-insert the USB drive, refresh, and select the new unallocated space, then get the second error message all over again.

Does anyone know what's happening here?
Google results are not helpful, since they assume a previous Windows install and not a blank HDD.
>>
>>60445817
Get a VESA stand
>>
Didn't want to start a new thread for this. What would be a good camera for taking creepshots? Almost all the spy cameras, especially the pen ones, have shit quality, two sort-of exceptions being Power Ray Technology Spy Pen SP220, and PenRecorderPro HD500/PenRecorderPro HD2. Would the Sony Action Cams be good for this?
>>
>>60445917
Just use your phone
>>
>>60445945
I'll probably start out using that, but I would like higher quality, and something that I can just hide in my hand.
>>
>>60445958
>higher quality
Get a better phone
>hide in hand
Earbuds+ phone in hand=excellent hiding
>>
Which are the core differences between Linux distros? And which DEs support a (left) side panel without it looking "work-aroundy"?
>>
>>60445992
Their name
>>
Anyone know why my SE215s sound like shit on my S6 Edge but sound really good on my laptop?
>>
>>60445992
Main difference between distros lie in packages. RPM, DEB, or compiling from source, what packages are available, maintenance, etc. Other than that basically >>60446026

KDE is the only functioning DE at this time.
>>
Any way to see what fees are pending from ebay? Hate how they always wait until the end of the month to deduct them so I never know until then...
>>
How do I get Fortune (4chan app) on an iPhone without jailbreaking?
Also does it have notifications?
I'm gonna switch soon because I don't wanna miss out on group chats with normie freinds but I don't wanna miss clover
>>
>>60446144
>iPhone without jailbreaking?
>iPhone
You already chose getting fisted in the ass so there's no escape.

Pick how you want to be fisted.
>>
>>60444674
No, the files may only be recovered with special software, in which case you are trying to recover them (so no accident). They will not be “accidentally”/automatically found by Windows, i.e. you cannot “accidentally” stumble upon one of your old files when browsing some directory in your new installation and no old virus can infect your new installation etc..

In summary, unless you are actively recovering your files, they do not matter at all to your new system (unless some weird program would recover them for you without your consent, but I suppose that would be malware anyway).
>>
>>60446113
Nevermind, figured it out
>>
>>60446184
I dont mind getting fisted in the ass as long as I can browse 4chan on the bus
Can I get the app without jailbreaking and will it fuck with my phone?
>>
I received some old comp, but reading/writing from/to the hard drive over SATA doesn't seem to work. The drive is recognized in the BIOS, but when writing to it I get a bunch of CAM STATUS: timed out and DRDY messages. I've tried with both a known working SATA cable and a known working hard drive from another computer. The cable is connected to SATA1 and the BIOS recognizes it as IDE 3rd Master. Should I even bother trying to get this to work?
>>
>>60442899
"I installed Gentoo."
>>
>>60443021
You mean 128 million bytes. Also it's "beck and call"
>>
Is there anyway to use flash player rather than HTML5 by default in Firefox? Preferably without an add-on.
>>
>>60446305
No and yes.

Your choice is either fucking your phone or not getting the app.

That's what I meant by picking how you want to be fisted.
>>
>>60442958
>I have way more computers than I need don't judge me but I just did a cleaning on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines and I can't get them to update worth a shit. They both get stuck at checking for updates and just hang there for hours.
>I googled a bit and it tells me to reset the update service and all this shit but none of it works.

Look for kb3020 something. And kb3172605 i believe. Install on win7. It'll cut patching to mins for searching.
>>
Would it make sense to restrict programs so that they only have access to the particular file(s) that should be relevant at the moment? I suppose this would not apply to certain system programs. Anyway, imagine you have some sophisticated shell with a simple type system:

$ type cp # Show type info on `cp`; this `cp` program is simplified.
cp : File:R -> File:W -> Program
$ cp "foo" "bar" # The syntactic string literals are semantically interpreted as paths based on the type of `cp`.
$ type ls # This `ls` program is also simplified.
ls : Dir:R -> File:W -> Program
$ args ls # Show parameter info.
args target=. output=/dev/stdout # `args` takes two arguments; they have default values for convenience. Since the shell (rather than the program itself) is aware of the defaults, the program can still be restricted to the chosen files since the shell is aware of what files are chosen even when using defaults.

IMO this should let you run a lot of programs that you don’t know anything about (provided you don’t add them to some “whitelist” or actually give them access to some file) without worrying about what they’re doing at all. Of course, every program might have some “data directory” or so where it can store e.g. its settings.
>>
>>60446459
Is there any way to get notifications on Safari?
Also how bad is the slow down when I keep a lot of tabs open?
>>
What is the best way to check if a value is a power of 2?
>>
>>60446514
Sorry, I meant that `ls` takes two arguments, and the last line of code should read:

ls target=. output=/dev/stdout …
>>
>>60446520
Might work well enough, I wouldn't know. If there's no option for notifications in Safari (don't know if 4chan uses that new html5 notification thing) then I don't know.
>>
>>60446526
If you already have it in binary then only the leftmost digit will be 1 and the rest 0 then it is a power of 2.
>>
>>60446520
why would you want it? Sites will only ever use it to spam ads at you and shit. Not having it is a feature
>>
>>60446601
Just wanna know if someone responds to me
>>
Hi, I bought a late 2008 macbook pro.
I want a clean install of any os x on it.

But anything I try results in failure.
when booting a usb with a os install on it I just get a crossed circle when it loads. I tried loads of stuff, burned a snow leapard on a dvd too and it doesn't want to find that.

Am I missing something?
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for a hosting service that will tolerate 1.5TB per month of questionably legal live streaming bandwidth?

It's a club that watches really shitty old bollywood/Thai/exploitation movies together.
>>
>>60446826
Cool club anon.
>>
>>60446781
>Am I missing something?
Get your money back.
>>
I run a magazine using WordPress as publishing engine.

Is there a plug-in that lets me choose if a post will have <h1> or <h2> tags as title, instead of only having 1 as it is today?

I was thinking about letting h1-titles be black, and h2-title be orange (for breaking news articles) using custom CSS (I know CSS).

Or something similar to it, as long as it fills my purpose. I don't really know what to search for in the plug-in database to find what I'm looking for.

Thank you.
>>
>>60446862
It's pretty fun. We take turns round-robin style curating a night's entertainment.

It's one night a week with ~20 regulars and another ~10 or so people who float in from time to time.
>>
>>60446932
It would obviously make much more sense to use some class (HTML/CSS) to distinguish those headings. Maybe make a custom child theme for it?
>>
>>60446932
>plug-in to use h1 or h2 tags

what is this retarded bloat
>>
How do you download a site and have it work offline?
I want to create an offline copy of https://hearingtest.online to use it offline to help some people with impaired hearing.
>>
>>60446976
Yes I know, but when I want to make a post I can't choose if I want to make the title h1 or h2. It always becomes h1. I'm looking for a tool, maybe a check box to choose title selector.
>>
>>60446932
>>60446976
Maybe one of these can help?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-title/
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/11/complete-guide-custom-post-types/
>>
>>60447027
My point is that it does not make sense to differentiate between them by using the wrong heading level in one case.
>>
>>60446986
Explain to me how to do it then, without firing up cpanel and manually changing the HTML file for every specific article that I want h2 for. I don't know backend so I can't solve this on my own.
>>
>>60447024
https://www.httrack.com/page/2/
>>
>>60446895
but it boots into its own maverics OS fine
>>
>>60447029
Will check, thank you!
>>
>>60447060
>android version
Even better.
>>
Anyone have a list of Windows 7 updates without telemetry?
>>
If I have a hashtable of structs that have an int component and that if there's a collision it links them in a singly linked list fashion. How do I order them with the int component so I can print the data of the structs in order. Retrieving the ids ordering them and once ordered call the struct by id seems unelegant but it's all I can come up with.
In C by the way.
>inb4 not doing your homewerk fagit
>>
>>60442328
what exactly did japmoot do to fuck up imageposting?
>>
>>60442328
>>60442328
/g/ I'm having a dumb moment here. I am a networking student in the babby years (only have A+ atm) and so knowledge is limited.

I have a home network and long story short there is a shithead in my household that refuses to accept any form of firewall/antivirus/whatever so I need to isolate him from my network so he can get fucked and cry about it and deal with it on his own. I don't want his cancerous aids computer shitting up my computers and things.

The best implementation I've come up with is two VLANs, one with shithead and his few computer items and another with the normal people in the household and an untangle firewall.

I'm trying to wrap my head around DHCP for this and so far my thought is I can have two separate DHCP servers with two different ranges (one on my untangle box and another on dumbfuck's wireless router) but overall I think I'm over complicating things. can I have DHCP on the initial router taking the WAN from the ISP, or are there security implications with that?

pic related. please tell me how to stop being a retard. I've been trying to figure this one out for days.

apprently I'm b& from posting images or some shit: http://i.imgur.com/rwfA5D1.jpg
>>
>>60446826
Do it from your home. Or get together on campus or something.
>>
I'm getting
Error: Upload failed.
when trying to post.
Anyone else having the same issue?
>>
So i WannaCry... Actually, I'd like to test the thing on my Windows XP guest running on my Windows 10 host through VMware, but I'm concerned about a couple of things:

My computere is connected to a server and a network. Will it infect them?

VMware shows a couple of options when trying to setup a virtual machine.

>NAT: Used to share the host's IP address
>Host-only: A private network shared with the host
>Custom: Specific virtual network
>Lan segment:

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_network6.html
According to the link above, I want to use the second option because it's "self-contained". That means it's connected only to my computer through the virtual network and not other computers I'm connected through the physical network, right?

Sorry not English native [spoiler]not poo either tho:^)[/spoiler]

>>60447416
Whew! It isn't just me.
>>
>>60447416
No, everything's good on my end
>>
How do I customize the look of my xubuntu in detail? Like.. change the radius of window corners... things like that.
>>
>>60447416
me too famalam. same with this anon: >>60447352

must be some 4chan situation.
>>
What is KDE
>>
What's the best cheap, general purpose to buy? ThinkPad T420 or X220? There's a local computer shop with a used T420 that has 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, and a dual core i5. Is $200 a good price? I know it has an expansion slot and a Thunderbolt port. What are my options for external GPUs with it for playing some Windows XP era games, or will the iGPU be able to handle it?
>>
>>60447456
The only functioning Linux DE at this moment.
>>
>>60447394
We're scattered around the country. In the US, the throughput we'd need is the difference in paying $80/mo for internet (what I pay now) to paying $250+/mo.

A lot of the people in the group are normies, at least when concerning computers, so distributed options like SopCast aren't really an option. We'd lose 2/3rds of the group due to laziness.

If we can find hosting that won't shut us down out of hand, instead of paying almost $200/mo for the bandwidth we need, we can get away with more like $20.
>>
>>60447431
No, unless you want to get infected on the host, you want it to have NO connection to the host whatsoever.
>>
>>60446437
Why?
>>
>>60447510
Go with the T420. I have an X250 and an X220 and both died with shit mobos after less than 2 years.

You shouldn't need an external GPU for XP era games. iGPU should do fine.
>>
>>60447431
>My computere is connected to a server and a network. Will it infect them?
As long as the VM doesn't have any connection to internet or share folder you should be safe.
>winXP
Where did you get it?
>>
Why the fuck am I getting "Error: Upload Failed" when I try to post an image on 4chan?

Happens on both 4G and on the PC.
>>
>>60447558
Everyone is getting it. It's japmoots fault. Don't worry about it, it'll get fixed eventually.
>>
What is the best distro for some absolutely retarded man? I've been thinking about Linux Mint
>>
>>60447595
Sounds good
>>
>>60447595
Ubangtu
>>
I want to change the thermal compound of my MSI 1070, cant find a decent teardown video other than the 1080ti from gamer nexus. is the 1070 and 1080 ti structurally the same that i can use the 1080ti vid as a guide for my 1070?
>>
>>60447558
Reboot your modem bro
>>
>>60447632
Bruh
seriously
get a screw driver,unscrew the only screws you see
pull unscrewed part off
bingo
>>
>>60447632
dunno but theres very little reason to do it now
you would be likely voiding warranty
are the temps really so high?
MSI usually does good job on cooling
>>
>>60447674
really high? not at all.
just gets hot under my desk desu, id take 5c cooler even, I've been reading that msi uses shitty thermal paste?
>>
I'm starting a bachelor's in computer engineering in a few months and I don't know jack shit about anything. Besides killing myself, what should I do to prepare myself in the meantime?
>>
holy shit. google io is going on right now but because 4chan problems we can't even create a new thread. moot did this.
>>
>>60446932
What you can do to avoid a plugin is hide the title, then add the title in your post as a heading of your choice.
>>
>>60447821
>moot
GOOK did this
>>
>>60447558
>imageboard
>can't post images
How far we have fallen.
>>
I keep getting "upload failed" when I try to upload an image to a post... I'd post an image with the error, but you know... It doesn't work.

I tried with Chrome and Firefox. Neither of them seem to be working
>>
>>60447850
but moot works at google
>>
>>60447857
It's 4chan's shitty new image servers.
>>
Is 4chan broke?
>>
>>60447911
we textboard now
>>
How do torrents magnets work?

What is it needed to create one and for it to work?
>>
>>60447890
Oh gotcha.

Thanks for nothing, hiro
>>
whats the website that lets u upload images and only allows for the link to be clicked once

after that it deletes the image
>>
Why is there no I/O thread up?
>>
>>60447936
I don't know but I know who does.
>>>/lgbt/mtfg/
Stay safe.

>>60447941
Nobody can upload images because 4chan is now a text board.
>>
>>60447936
uguu.se?
>>
>>60447920
We reddit now
>>
>>60447941
No one can start threads
>>
Google IO so far
>more LGBT rights
>more refugees
>Super Chat (paying for youtube comments to be stickied during livestreams)
>woman literally saying "4X" rather than four times
how google has fallen
>>
Chromium and firefox no longer load webm's on 4chan.Why
>>
Why do I keep getting upload failed when I try to reply with a image?
>>
>>60448038
READ THE THREAD
4CHAN IS KILL
>>
>>60448037
See >>60448053
>>
How do I know if a HDD will work on my laptop? The one I had is dead and want to buy a new one.
>>
>>60448077
Its been the past few days though
>>
https://i.imgur.com/bEvDgsT.png
She literally said 100X. What the fuck?
>>
>>60448079
Is it 2.5" 7mm? will fit on anything.
9mm? check your current size.

Get a 850 EVO.
>>
>>60448102
good god what an ugly man
>>
Hmmm so if we can't create new threads then old threads also can't be deleted. Other than the comment # bump limit, is there a hard limit for # of comments in threads in general? Like can we push this thread to 1000 comments or does it stop after a certain count?
>>
File: 1495045292.png (82KB, 964x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1495045292.png
82KB, 964x1010px
My computer is having intermittent freezes, not BSOD freezes but just 'Im not going to respond for several seconds' freezes. They happen probably once every 10-30 minutes, generally only for a few seconds but sometimes up to a whole minute.

Most of the time when it freezes my music player will stop, my browser will show "waiting for cache", and nothing will work. I can pull up task manager and it won't show up until it unfreezes... And then most of the time when it unfreezes I hear a little 'tick' noise coming from my computer.

I do have a HDD that is going on 3 years old this summer, it is not the boot drive but it does contain my music player. am I right in assuming that it is the HDD that is failing?
>>
>>60445493
There are triple-core CPUs
>>
>>60448159
There is no post cap,only autosage
>>
>>60448184
Well shit it seems like we can post images again.
>>
>>60448159
the bump limit 'soft sages' a thread, it will stop being refreshed in the catalog once it hits 300-500 posts, varying depending on which board you are on.

On slower boards a thread that has hit post limit can continue to rack up posts, but there is no hard limit to how many posts a thread can get after the soft limit; just how long it takes the thread to slip off page 10.
>>
File: 000411.jpg (127KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
000411.jpg
127KB, 600x480px
I-Is 4chan working now?
>>
>>60442328
Can i should i use ssd's and hdd's in a same RAID?
>>
>>60448170
Download HD Tune pro Trial, run the benchmark, that will tell.
>>
I work at a small business who has a bunch of Best Buy tier home UPS back up batteries in the server room. One of them is going bad and faulting out all the time. I'm going to replace it with an actual business class UPS, and I'd like to get one with temperature/humidity sensors and can send me texts when either something turns off or one of the sensors is too high or low.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good UPS?
>>
File: i_suck_at_networking_kill_me.jpg (88KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
i_suck_at_networking_kill_me.jpg
88KB, 500x500px
>>60447372
here is pic related since the image board was broken

network diagram of the year
>>
>>60442328
what to look for when buying a modem/router? just for general home use, wired and wireless, will be connected to a different modem about 30m away if that makes a difference.

dont think ive even bought a modem/router for myself
>>
>>60448306
Just get 3 routers and put his behind one, yours behind one, and both of the routers behind the third router.
>>
i need a really solid and dependable micro-usb to usb cable. any brand recommendations?
>>
File: 1473582938934.jpg (16KB, 388x147px) Image search: [Google]
1473582938934.jpg
16KB, 388x147px
Why do some of my folders have a black background?
>>
My CPU fan is making a wobbly noise what do
>>
I upgraded my Ubuntu partition on my laptop from 15.10 to 16.04 but now I have an issue with dual monitors:
- if I don't have my second monitor plugged in everything is fine
- if I plug in my second monitor after login I only get video on the second monitor. Trying to enable the laptop screen just disables both screens
- if I have my second monitor plugged in from boot, I only get the login screen on the second monitor. As soon as I log in, both screens are disabled
My laptop is a bit older (2012) and uses some AMD graphics card (didn't know about the fgrlx discontinuation until after upgrading). In kind of a dunce and don't know what to do
Would it just be easier to format and reinstall?
>>
>>60448306
Give him a router, then route a cable from that to your router. You'll go through his router as though it was the wild dangerous Internet, but you'll have your own router between that traffic.
>>
>>60448456
They're being WannaCry'd.
>>
So I hit my computer out of frustration and I keep getting "prepairing auto repair" what should I do?
>>
>>60448461
Change it, you cant fix a wobbly fan.
>>
You use tab to go to the next interactive thing but is there a way to go back to previous things like that?
>>
>>60448456
Whats with the green arrows?

You have adware installed which is probably fucking the thumbnails, run Adwcleaner.

>>60448467
You damaged your HDD and windows partition, you probably will have to reinstall windows.
>>
>>60448438
okay, cool, thanks for the response. that was the implementation I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if that was overkill or crazy.

Can I have two separate DHCP servers? (one on his router and one on mine?) Do I need to have separate ranges or can I separate them by subnets?

>>60448463
I could skip the VLAN altogether or is the VLAN still a decent idea for security? I want him completely out of access so I don't get any ransomware or whatever the fuck he gets himself into
>>
>>60448495
>Whats with the green arrows?

It's cloud storage
>>
There's a fly in my keyboard. What should I do?
>>
>>60448546
Grab your RAID and kill it.
I wonder what killing a fly with HDDs will be like.
>>
>>60442328
Anyone having Connection Errors with 4chanx?

4chanx v1.13.9.3
OneeChan v5.6.1
Firefox 53.0.2
Greasemonkey 3.11
Legacy Captcha

I downshifted to previous versions of 4chanx and Firefox to no avail.

Native posting appears to work fine with Greasemonkey turned off
>>
I want to make a raspberry pi dry firing sensor that basically works like this. I attach a laser to the cannon of the gun and a sheet of paper/glass with a target detects where you hit.

Take into consideration I don't know shit about electronics, how hard would this be?
>>
ignore this
>>
>>60448559
>I wonder what killing a fly with HDDs will be like.
It would be extremely painful.
>>
File: HIROOOO.jpg (324KB, 675x620px) Image search: [Google]
HIROOOO.jpg
324KB, 675x620px
What the fuck is this Ekansovi shit? I'm getting a load of failed uploads and 502s with or without it enabled...

Hiroshima?
>>
File: straight_to_the_dome.png (379KB, 598x596px) Image search: [Google]
straight_to_the_dome.png
379KB, 598x596px
is there a line out on a motherboard? I am using an audio receiver and bookshelf speakers, but I recently got an equalizer/spectrum analyzer from a friend and it has line in puts not audio inputs.
>>
>>60448569
Hiro moved 4chan over to cheaper and less powerful servers, so this is simply the future of 4chan.

Enjoy.
>>
File: 1489955401358.jpg (425KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
1489955401358.jpg
425KB, 1024x764px
>>60448688
Presumably some shitty ad delivery network. The upload is a cloudflare issue.
>>
File: 1229820942673.jpg (97KB, 500x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1229820942673.jpg
97KB, 500x1080px
>>60448700
>We revert back to 2008 levels of server quality
>All the plebbit shit leaves
>All the normies leave
>All the phoneposters leave
Please let this continue
>>
So I hit my computer lightly and it restarted. But now I keep getting "preparing automatic repair" and after diagnosing your PC". Am I fucked? Currently refreshing it to the default settings.
>>
>demand everything be converted to webm
>???
>profit!
>>
File: microphone_jack.jpg (28KB, 315x238px) Image search: [Google]
microphone_jack.jpg
28KB, 315x238px
>>60448689
it depends on the board, but most of the normal consumer ones have one.
>>
Why is Chrome better?
>>
>>60447372
just configure the routers' dhcp server to put his machine on it's own subnet
>>
>>60448689
the only difference between "speaker out" and "line out" is the voltage level
"line out" being a specific level ("line level")
and "speaker out" being a variable level, typically above line level, amplified for use directly with speakers (in the case of a computer, typically small ones like headphones or "computer speakers")
>>
How do you check the type of a primitive in Java?
e.g.
int t = 4;
out.println(t.getClass().getName());
//or
if(t instanceof Integer) {
}

Neither of the two methods above work. How do you do it?
>>
I'm going to get myself a reptile in the future, and in preparation for that I want to turn my Raspberry Pi 2 B into a control device which does stuff (change intensity of light or something, either automatically or by command) and monitors humidity and temperature.

If possible (except the basics mentioned) I'd also like an infrared sensor which activates a camera every time it detects motion from the reptile. And perhaps also, and more importantly, a simple display which I can output temperature and humidity on.

The sense hat is too feature rich.
What's the best temperature/humidity sensor?
What's the best display? PiFace?
What's the best camera? Raspberry's?
What's the best infrared sensor? HC--SR501?
Is Enocean Sensor Kit‑868 perhaps a necessary/good addition in order to control something like a light switch or heating pad?
>>
>>60449164
You cannot.
>>
Docker containers are just thin provisioned virtual machines, right? Or am I missing something?
>>
I have reinstalled Windows and suddenly all the pics I click on here open in a new tab instead of embedded in the thread. Which setting do I have to change?
>>
How do I download macOS Sierra without access to a Mac?

Every Hackintosh guide I read just assumes you have a Mac or know someone with a Mac so you can download macOS Sierra from there. But I don't, so where else can I download it from (like a mirror from the original Apple source, idgaf if it's illegal)? I've searched for it in a few torrent sites but all of the downloads look very shady and not like the one you'd get from Apple.
>>
I want to run an application under a VM, but said application has been made to detect if it's being ran in a VM. How would I go about spoofing the machine into looking like a normal one? HWID?
>>
>>60447780
Don't fall for the /g/ memes. You can't just pass classes and expect to learn how to do everything but it's not like they don't give you a solid framework to build off of on your own. Same as every major, really.
>>
>>60442328

Hey /g/ I'm really sorry but, I fucked up and got the black screen of death and I don't have a system restore point. I cannot get my windows 7 disk until friday and that's an even bigger "if" it's still there. Where can I download a Win7 OEM x64 ISO? I know I can just get my old product key from the harddrive, so please help me.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=844plbHuW84
>>
Does htop use mebibytes or megabytes? Just printing M doesn't really say anything
>>
>>60449567
RTFM
>>
Can you somehow only record audio with ShareX, not video? I can't seem to figure out how
>>
>>60449521
I think Microsoft hosts DL links for it's ISOs.
>>
>>60449567
in everything i've seen in linux, the single-letter variants ("M", "G", "T", etc) always means mebi-
htop is all mebi-

from the manual;
MEMORY SIZES
Memory sizes in htop are displayed as they are in tools from the GNU
Coreutils (when ran with the --human-readable option). This means that
sizes are printed in powers of 1024. (e.g., 1023M = 1072693248 Bytes)

The decision to use this convention was made in order to conserve
screen space and make memory size representations consistent throughout
htop.
>>
>>60449657
(mebi-, gibi, tebi-, you get the idea)
>>
Is there a big list of what programmu languages are used in what fields?
>>
>>60449655

Okay, thank you.
>>
>>60448977
This won't work. He's got several items (phone, laptop, desktop, printer) so it needs some scalability. He has multiple sources of cancer.
>>
>>60449720
so put them all on their "his" subnet
>>
Are these episodes in 720p or 1080p? I'm thinking 1080 by the individual episode file sizes, but I haven't found anywhere that says.
https://animetosho.org/view/tatami-galaxy-yojouhan-shinwa-taikei.810283
>>
>>60449900
720p, clicking on the files shows video information.
>>
>>60449978
Thanks.
>>
I want to have a folder that when videos are placed into it, they are encoded for compression automatically.

What is the best way to do this?
>>
Would it be worth upgrading from gtx 770 to gtx 1060?

t. FX 6300 @ 4.7ghz
>>
Running red hat linux as a main OS is a dumb thing to do?
>>
>>60450131
Upgrade your CPU instead. No excuse to still be on that piece of shit when Ryzen is out.
>>
Why do developers that have an OpenGL renderer still use DirectX on Windows? It seems like an unholy fuckton of work to go through for the ~1% difference in driver overhead on Windows with AMD. Are there any other reasons?
>>
>>60450131
for vidya*
>>
Does using playonlinux instead of regular wine prevent a virus from affecting linux? Or is it all the same shit?
>>
why the fuck is my download speed literally a fifth of my upload speed right now
>>
>>60450343
playonlinux is a wine frontend
>>
>>60450386
Is there a way to sandbox wine so there is no way an application can access any file outside of the drive_c folder?
>>
Guys, I fucked around with a userscript called 4chanX or something, it was nice, but I deleted it and now I lost the [update] button under threads, the [embed] one that shows videos and when I hover the mouse on ared tag it doesn't show the linked comment.
What the fuck happened?
>>
>>60450436
yes, using the same tools you'd use to sandbox a linux program, such as with firejail
you should treat windows programs running in wine the same way you'd treat linux programs runnning natively
>>
>windows 8
>refuses to update HP driver and keeps failing
>google
>it's a windows 10 update on the site
>the filetype isn't recognized on my computer as an installer
>yet it's an important update on the list and keeps failing on wu
How do I install it or get Windows to ignore it?
>>
>>60450482
re-enable the in-line extension
>>
>>60449234
Alright, forget the camera and infrared shit.

I'll get myself two adafruit temperature/humidity sensors (need to monitor hot and cold side of enclosure), and a simple display to show it.

What display though?

I'll also need something to control switches for turning on/off heatpad and shit.
>>
>>60450536
Fuck me, I just noticed it's written in the first paragraph on github.
Thank you anon
>>
so i turned on my work pc today, pulled repo, went for coffee and when i came back i got a bluescreen. after reboot network system restore started going, thought i'd go to service guys to ask what the fuck's wrong before i get on with it, because the restore would take 4hs minimum.

the guy tried running uefi hd check and the laptop said there's no harddrive to check. so he boots up some recovery distro from pendrive and its manager sees the disk. he tries hd check again and the disk's not there again. so recovery once again and the disk is there. we try booting normally and it does. so i went on working like nothing happened.

i've filed a ticket for a replacement in the end, anyway but what the fuck happened?
>>
After dealing with a slew of blue screens my computer will not boot Windows 10, by both SSD and USB. When booting Windows 10 it shows the Windows logo (sometimes an Asus logo, my mobo manufacturer) then reboots without even making it to the next screen.

A few weeks ago I wiped my SSD in order to restart Windows entirely and strangely enough the issue is still present. When loading a Windows 10 USB the shows the Windows logo, then turns black and reboots. I have messed with the secure boot settings multiple times and still no avail.

What is happening here? I can't find any similar cases on google.

Im using an Asus Z170A mobo.
>>
How do I get a counter of dropped frames in fullscreen mode in MPC-HC?
>>
>>60451089
>blue screens
Hardware failure.
>>
>>60451150
Yeah Im guessing the mobo or psu is busted.

I just find that strange because it runs ultimate boot cd fine.
>>
>>60451127
check mpc-hc sources and see if they report on it?
>>
>>60451504
Where do I see those?

I'm a noob trying to configure madVR if that means anything
>>
Would any difference in sound quality exist from my frontal jack to my rear jack?
>>
Has anyone ever actually used Windows 7's ReadyBoost feature to add more "ram"? I have a Asus P6X58D-E motherboard with 6gb DDR3 ram so I don't feel like buying more actual ram since it won't carry over to a new build.

Just wondering how performance would be if I bought a 16gb or 32gb USB 3.0 flash drive and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on the mobo to use as extra ram with ReadyBoost?
>>
>>60451672
Download some.
>>
>>60451672
you should read up on what readyboost actually is first
hint: it's not virtual ram
>>
File: 1487876726514.jpg (95KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
1487876726514.jpg
95KB, 640x853px
Is there anything to a CPU upgrade under Debian other than shut it down, replace CPU, and boot back up?

i3-2120 to i7-3770 if that matters
>>
>>60451733

Is there any such thing as using a flash drive as virtual ram? (I know the performance would be way slower than actual ram)
>>
how do i learn to use the linux gnu i have installed?
>>
>>60451766
you could put a page file on a flash drive

but virtual ram in general just isn't very useful nowadays
back when you had say, 64M system ram, going 5-10 megs over that wasn't much of a strain on a hdd
but now if you hit your limit you're probably going to end up dumping hundred of megs or more onto it

so yea, you could, but shit, you have 6G ram, if you can't figure out how to use your machine without going over 6G, you might need to get your computer license renewed. that's not a small amount of ram
>>
>>60451766
It's called the page file.
>>
>>60451763
nope, just that
>>
With all the torrent sites closing down left and right this seems as good a time as any to start actually hoarding the stuff I download.

What's the best way for me to backup my stuff in a relatively easy and cheap way? Just buy a 1tb hdd from amazon or something?
>>
File: caching.png (12KB, 642x410px) Image search: [Google]
caching.png
12KB, 642x410px
>>60451845
>you have 6g of ram
>you will never use 6g of ram
>nonsense about not know about computers
BRUH
CACHING FAGGOT
GET ON MY LEVEL
>>
>>60451913
and then there's this guy
>>
>>60451896
thanks. cheers, m8
>>
>>60451932
sup
>>60400316
>>
>>60451913
i didn't say you can't use 6G ram
i'm saying you should be able to stay under 6G ram usage, that is, you shouldn't have to resort to a page file, and if you really do, then whatever you're doing just isn't going to run fast enough to be worth it

>>60451984
nope
% free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 20066 10054 262 149 9748 9648
Swap: 20479 779 19700
>>
>>60442328
Sometimes i'd like to send me notes from work to home for later review, and i wonder if there's any service a la pastebin that I could run on my local home server. I just need to save a name and the content. Does anything like this exist already? I don't want to use my work email or my phone, and gmail access is forbidden.
>>
Is DoD short 1 round enough in regards to dban? Just wiping an old laptop i don't use anymore
>>
>>60452104
ftp server
>>
>>60452172
>DoD short 1
Putnam 99 pass. After that, juke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
>>
>>60452236
>>60452236
No but seriously i'm good with this right?
>>
>>60452314
>>60452314
Also what OS should i put on afterwards? Can't decide between ubuntu and pclinuxos

Laptop was made in 2004 i think but it has a core 2 duo in it
>>
>Frequently go to huge warehouse auction in midwest USA.
>Get some really interesting/random things.
>Often industrial stuff.
>Get bag of these.
>Only identifying marks are "ca-s.info cx-cls_v1.4"

Does anybody know wtf this is?

1/3
>>
>>60452202
maybe something a little less 1970s?
>>
Scratch that actually it's a pretty decent model from 2007, guess i'll be able to make even more dosh from this

Think i'll go with ubuntu after all heh
>>
File: 2017-05-17 17.14.04.jpg (1MB, 2420x1361px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-17 17.14.04.jpg
1MB, 2420x1361px
>>60452417
Forgot pic..
>>
>>60452421
Why do you think you need some extravagant service to provide a basic need?
You just need to read and edit a text file remotely.
A ftp server fits this case perfectly
>>
File: 2017-05-17 17.14.11.jpg (673KB, 2420x1361px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-17 17.14.11.jpg
673KB, 2420x1361px
>>60452417
>>60452427
>>
File: 2017-05-17 17.14.19.jpg (604KB, 2420x1361px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-17 17.14.19.jpg
604KB, 2420x1361px
>>60452417
>>60452448
>>
>>60452438
I'd like to learn something cool or new in the process. FTP offers none of those.
>>
Going to self learn about servers, virtualization,and stuff

Debian or CentOS?
>>
>>60452469
Then find a better subject matter then.Editing a text file remotely fits ftp perfectly
>>
Going to dualboot Windows and Linux, each of them will be on their own SSD. Which file system should I use for Linux (most likely a Debian derivative) and will WIndows be able to see the Linux drive (I'd rather if it couldn't)?
>>
>>60452494
We get it, grandpa, you like FTP. Now fuck off.
>>
>>60452516
>HURR DURR I WAS ANSWERED PERFECTLY BUT IT WASNT THE ANSWER I WANT
>DUURRRR

Why dont you hook up a dot matrix printer to a paintgun and have it print out binary to a webcam that watches.Turn that in to a RTF text file that prints out and rolls up in to a tiny package.You can then have a carrier pigeon fly this to your work and back as needed

How bout that?
>>
What's my best bet for a normie for storing large-ish amount of data while keeping the risk of just losing all of it low? An external hdd, ssd, a bunch of 64/128 gb usb drives, something else?
>>
>>60452427
>>60452448
>>60452463
I could be wrong, but it looks like a circuit board.
>>
New thread

>>60452564
>>60452564
>>
>>60452554
keep it on onedrive, sure to stay and as a normie you wouldn't upload anything illegal woudl you?
>>
>>60452538
I specifically asked for a service like pastebin, you fucking autismo. Go sperg out somewhere else, these threads are supposed to be helpful
>>
>>60442328

When people steal or extort bitcoins and it goes into some wallet that we can all see; how the hell do the criminals move that money without getting nabbed?
>>
>>60452640
I was very helpful.
You just refuse to take sound simple advice
>>
>>60452583
Mostly torrented movies, series and a whole bunch of ebooks. I'd prefer to have it stored somewhere I can access it offline, since the internet speeds I get aren't stellar.
>>
>>60452104
netcat
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.