[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with coding/programming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: cat sitting on laptop.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
cat sitting on laptop.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
I've been wanting to start learning how to code, and I've looked into a few languages. I'm just looking for some guidance on where to start. Which language is good, what OS should I use, and what background info should I know first?
>>
File: g-side.png (260KB, 498x1480px) Image search: [Google]
g-side.png
260KB, 498x1480px
>>
OS or system specs dont matter at all, you're literally typing text into an editor then compiling it
>>
>>60349898
That's what I mean, I'm completely in the dark here. I thought most linux distros were normally better for coding.
>>60349884
I have friends baka
>>
>>60349928
Start learning in web pages like code academy, khan academy... You don't need any OS requirements.
>>
>>60349928
i would start with java or C# if I were you so you don't have to learn low level stuff first, there's also a java tutorial on codeacademy
>>
>>60349973
Any good resources to jump into ruby?
>>60350003
Benefits of java or C#?
>>
>>60349928
Many Linux distros have built in useful/essential tools like GNU toolchain (in simple words just write code, hit "c++ main.cpp" and voila, installing new toolchains is fairly simple with package manager)
As for the coding itself, >>60349973 is right, you can start with html+javascript, the only two things needed are the text editor and web browser. When you decide coding is for you you can try python or go full retard on c++/c/rust/java etc.
>>
File: 1457374223968.png (256KB, 385x532px) Image search: [Google]
1457374223968.png
256KB, 385x532px
>>60349840
Do cs227 here:
http://web.cs.iastate.edu/~smkautz/
All homeworks, lectures, sample code, etc
>>
>>60349840
do you want to get going really fast and move onto smaller scale projects by yourself? Start with Python.

do you want to really know what's going on and learn the minute details without any hand holding? Learn C/C++

Do you want to be Pajeet Jr? Do Java.

Want to hang with the """""cool kids""""" and feel smug all the time? Pick any functional language.

OS doesn't matter for now, use whatever you have. You don't need any background to start either.

Personally I'd recommend doing Harvards CS50 Open Courseware stuff. It's free, entertaining, mildly challenging if you don't have a background in programming and gets you somewhere fast.
>>
>>60350138
>Personally I'd recommend doing Harvards CS50 Open Courseware stuff.

Absolutely this. Be warned though, the course kicks it off with C, which can be daunting for a newb. Just plow through, worry about the ideas and concepts, don't fret if you can't get every assignment to work. Then When Python comes in you can relax, it should be way easier.
>>
File: C2Z6ytWXUAM7Zk1.jpg (77KB, 604x425px) Image search: [Google]
C2Z6ytWXUAM7Zk1.jpg
77KB, 604x425px
cats cant learn how to program go play outside little kitty
>>
>>60349840
>programming
K&R C, SICP, assembly, perl, python, C++
>coding
rust, go, javascript in general + currentflavour.js, ruby
>>
>>60350521
im watching it on 2x speed, is this a good idea? I usually pick on stuff super fast so I wasn't too worried about it
>>
File: 1456280075652.jpg (92KB, 540x675px) Image search: [Google]
1456280075652.jpg
92KB, 540x675px
>>60349840
See
>>60350067
>>
>>60350676
whatever works for you, you can always go back, and you have the clickable transcripts, the slides which summarize everything. I agree that the lectures can be a bit slow at times.
>>
>>60349840
kode with klossy
>>
>>60351514
i habe penis unfortunately
>>
>>60351632
...which you will use to jerk off while koding with klossy
>>
>>60349840
I started by picking a language, getting some basics down then realizing that to program anything worth programming, I'd have to learn some Computer Science then I picked up a few computer science books but then I realized that order to understand more than just Computer Science basics, I'd have to be well versed in mathematics and here I am now cracking open books on linear algebra trigonometry.

Have fun!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.