[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 39

>>
Does a VM protect you from viruses?
Lets say I want to open a document, which happen to be a virus, if I do it in a VM, would my actual OS be protected and remain clean, or would it get compromised as well?
>>
>>59940114
The host computer should be OK. If it's ransomware or something that will infect all files then you'd want to make sure there are no network drives or shares leading back to the host.
>>
>>59940114
It aims to do so and I generally wouldn't hesitate to run malware in one.

Nothing's perfect though. There have been many VM escape exploits.
>>
is there any other extension besides lightbeam that gives you a visualized map of the sites that tried to track you? i want this feature on an extension that is hopefully more lightweight
>>
I feel like I'm missing something with CMake.
I'm working on a project that uses OpenCV. I added OpenCV as a submodule on Git so I have all the sources in my project directory. I know I can do add_subdirectory(opencv) to make it build the library, but how can I then instruct my project to link against it?
>>
Does anyone know where I can get the mascots and theme/style feature of Appchan X onto regular 4chan x? Appchan is an outdated piece of shit
>>
>>59940705
Does anyone know if the display color of this one is good enough for editing?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d/dell-inspiron-i7559-5012gry-signature-edition-laptop/8QW015305G50

I'm also planning to put more ram and an ssd on it.
>>
>>59940699
nvm found it
>>
can someone recommend a decent video file converter
>>
File: schematic.jpg (191KB, 2048x1638px) Image search: [Google]
schematic.jpg
191KB, 2048x1638px
>>59939687
What does the ethical hacking course curriculum contain?
>>
i'm designing a simple ER model for uni and i made an entity to register both the customers and the employees, can i put the employee wage inside this entity?
>>
I need some advice on how to do this.

So I have access to a site with movies I can download from links that look like this:

"http://www.website.com/movie.mp4"

What I want to do is mount the movies locally so that I can import them into a plex library. I know it is possible to mount an ftp server locally but I dont know how to do it with just the urls.

>>59940854
Handbrake
>>
>>59939687
Does bioinformatics have a future?
>>
>>59939687
what are my options for a headless raspberry pi?
>>
/g/ approved high capacity USB's that are fast but not made by CIA Trojan horse manufacturers?
>>
>>59939687
WTF i just found out spotify also have audiobooks.
>>
File: temp.jpg (78KB, 563x352px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
78KB, 563x352px
So my graphics card gave out a week ago, and I replaced it with another.

I thought the fans were fairly loud, so I download CPUID HWMonitor to check my temps. The graphics card was fine, but what I'm concerned about is the mother board.

I don't really know too much about building computers, but isn't the TMPIN5 too hot? I feel like this is the first time I've noticed the fan noise...what could be causing this? I don't even know what TMPIN5 means.
>>
>>59941797
w-wait USB's are compromised now?
>>
>>59942300
Lmao
>>
>>59942270
I believe it's a sensor error , used to get it with my previous computer.
>>
>>59942361
Thank you, been doing some more research and a few other people mention that it could be due to a sensor error as well.

Almost had a panic attack lol.
>>
I have cat5 cables running through my house as a telephone line

they all run straight to the outside which is where the phone company's box is

can I just hook an ethernet switch up in the box and have my regular wireless router still inside the house?
>>
Okay so i have like 3 x 1tb external hdd
I have 1 x 3tb external hdd
And im sick of my data being split up in so many different drives
What do i do to collate everything?
Do i get nas even though i dont want it online for sec reasons
Do i get raid and if so hardware or software?
I just want like 10tb of space to put all my tv show n movies onto which will be safe as possible and not more than a few hundred pounds / dollars
Britfag here btw
Thanks for any replies in advance
>>
>>59942501
>Do i get nas even though i dont want it online for sec reasons
non-issue if you have a NAT (you have one)
>>
>>59941284
http isn't really set up for mounting, but kodi can use http indexes and stream files

plex is really more about being able to transcode something stored on the plex server rather than externally. to use plex in this scenario you would want plex running on the website's server
>>
What do you guys do with all your storage?
>>
Laptop screen is screwed up. Pink with a white line at the top of the screen and artifacts everywhere.

External monitors seem to work fine so I'm guessing it's a loose connector somewhere, not sure where to look though.

It's one of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8ISOW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>59939687
I need to pass Sec+, wat do?
>>
>>59942626
store stuff.
Different partions for different things.
Movies and TV shows mainly. I download a movie but then decide i don't want to watch it so I download a new one. I have done this for 100s of movies now. I don't want to delete them because I might want to watch them and have to downland them and thats effort.

Whats a god tier webcam that is reasonably priced, Im looking for a web cam that is good for interviews and also to take a photo of me to use for online dating.
>>
File: IMG_20170417_181357.jpg (59KB, 912x248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170417_181357.jpg
59KB, 912x248px
>>59939687
I have this fucking wireless mini PCI-E half height card that I salvaged from a busted laptop. However it has one of those stupid plastic things in it and I have no clue how to remove it without damaging it. I tried plyers, needlenose tweezers (ifixit), couldn't even get a grip on it. How the fuck do I get this thing off it without ruining the thing?
>>
is there a good program to remove all metadata without corrupting/compressing the data from say jpegs and music files? I have been searching but no comprehensive solution was found
>>
Is the Moto Z Play a good phone?
>>
I upgraded my desktop to a core i5 and found the heatsink wouldn't fit, so modified a pentium 4 to suit. now it oscillates in speed audibly. computer runs stable. does this mean the fan is failing?
>>
>>59942721
probably a command line exif editor and a small script will do
>>
>>59942721
exiftool works for me
>>
Is 'acpi -t' accurate?

It doesn't seem accurate.

Unless my computer's cooling is supernaturally good at maintaining a stable and constant temperature.
>>
where are the ecig threads
i need decent vape recommendations
>>
AirVPN, yay or nay?

Never had an issue, but dont like the idea of IP being exposed on torrent.
>>
>>59943184
If your mobo maker wrote their ACPI correctly it should be correct, if they're lazy and expose sensor inputs that aren't connected to anything or aren't configured correctly, it could show anything.
>>
>>59942693
Chop it off.
>>
>>59942434
So long as all the pairs are wired straight through and not transposed or joined together somewhere it should be fine for ethernet.
>>
>>59943375
Thought it was CPU temperature.

Anyway, can I get raw CPU temperature somehow? lm-sensors seems kinda bloaty. I just need coretemp.
>>
I want to make a budget pc for my mom, she uses a lot of chrome tabs, office 2010, Google Drive, movie Playback ability and that's it.

Is the am1 platform solid enough?
How many ram should I add?
Should I use 7 or 10?
>>
>>59943411
lm-sensors is your best bet.

ipmitool may work too if you're using a more business/server/workstation oriented motherboard, consumer grade ones generally won't support it.
>>
>>59943388
With what, exactly?
>>
Please see >>59943374.
My Rosewill keyboard recognize it is plugged in, but the keys do nothing.
>>
>>59943437
AM1's probably sufficient, but if you're building new, it's not great bang for buck. Pentium G4560 is the minimum I'd consider worth it for a build, if you want cheaper, used Sandy/Ivy Bridge machine.

4GB at least, 8 would be nice.

Gentoo.
>>
>>59943468
diagonal cutter.
>>
>>59943456
nvm, found the place at /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp.

thermal_zone0 and thermal_zone1 gives me the inaccurate acpi -t (raw) output.
>>
>>59943486
Indeed I'm building new, thanks for your input.
>>
File: 1488135504576.jpg (150KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1488135504576.jpg
150KB, 1200x675px
How would my job opportunities differ if I went with each of these degrees:
>CS
>Informatics
>Human-Centered Design and Engineering
Considering that I live in Seattle.
>>
What are some light weight operating systems? I want to run it on an older laptop that hast just 1gb of ram.
Are there any linux/gnu options that are on the same level ( or even lighter ) as WinXP?
I just want something with very low ram/cpu usage.
>>
My GPU fans don't spin when its idle and it hangs around 50C. Is that normal? Its a GTX 1070.
>>
>>59943960
Just use XP. Linux uses more RAM than Windows 10 nowadays, while still not giving Windows 98 usability.
>>
>>59943981
It's a feature.
>>
>>59943981
Yes.
>>
>>59944005
lol
>>
>>59943960
debian has something like 60 mb ram minimum requirement with X for amd64
>>
>>59943960
damn small Linux is an optimized Debian variant
>>
>>59943855
>CS
Code monkey living with Jerome in a shitty apartment.

>Informatics
Cave-dweller living on a cot in the server room.

>Human-Centered Design and Engineering
HR
>>
Would it be safe to assume that the next gen of nvidia gpus(2070,2080) would do games at high/ultra@60fps on 4K?
Or would it need another gen for that?
>>
I've noticed that sometimes when i set my pc to hibernate and then turn off the lamp to go to bed that turning off the lamp causes the pc to wake itself back up. They aren't in the same socket in the wall and I can't think of any processes or tasks that would wake the pc up once hibernating. What can i do?
>>
>>59944565
call an exorcist
>>
I want a flip phone. What does /g/ recommend?
>>
>HP Envy
>Cap leds blinks only one time
>HP POST codes say is CPU
What are the odds its FUBAR?
>>
What would be the smallest size for a 4k display, where I wouldnt need scaling on Wangblows?
27" 32" ?
>>
What program do you guys use to display framrate, gpu and cpu temp in game? Fraps only shows fps, want the others too.
>>
File: Idek.jpg (30KB, 456x402px) Image search: [Google]
Idek.jpg
30KB, 456x402px
What is the best Micro Sd Card for the Droid Turbo 2
>>
How do I see the difference between mSATA and Mini PCIe?
>>
>>59945078
mSATA is usually B&M key (or just B key, although I don't believe I've ever seen that) while mPCIe is usually just M key. Other than that you'll have to check the spec.
>>
Should someone who doesn't code still switch to Linux?
>>
>>59945138
I don't know any languages and I've used linux, set up a webserver, email server, file sharing, proxy server... pretty much everything

systems administrator would probably benefit from knowing perl or something but I've never bothered to learn anything more than a bash script here and there
>>
>>59945127
I found a very cheap SATA to mSATA adapter, will it catch fire if I try putting it into a Mini PCIe slot? what can I expect?
I wanted to add a SATA slot but the SATA to Mini PCIe boards I've seen cost much more than this cheap adapter.
>>
How do I get a .gov domain?
>>
>>59945314
fearmongering
>>
>>59945078
Is your computer a 2nd gen core i? then its a mSATA.

Is it used by a WLAN card? then its mPCIe.
>>
>>59945336
2nd gen core i and recent next to the HDD*
>>
How do I make Windows 10 usable?
>>
>>59945042
Generally any card will work with any modern phone.
>>
>>59945348
I'll check.

Here someone is saying that it's basically the same thing:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/mSata-vs-mini-PCIe/m-p/943149/highlight/true#M54744
>>
>>59945408
All tracking and metrics to kill
All home networking and cortana to kill
Install Linux
>>
>>59944562
What grove givith, gates taketh away. Games will require more power on the same resolution. Your plan only works if you plan on playing exclusively old game releases
>>
File: 1492449027564-g.jpg (53KB, 519x778px) Image search: [Google]
1492449027564-g.jpg
53KB, 519x778px
Hey /g/. From a legality stand point, can I record episodes of anime I'm watching via stream? Long story short, I work a tiring job throughout the week. I don't have it in me to actually pay attention to any anime I may be watching. Because of this I watch most of it on the weekend. Problem is, Crunchyroll servers are bogged down during the weekend because everyone is doing the same thing.

So say I started an anime series on episode 1 and start the recorder (Nvidia shadowplay in this instance). Just let the episode play in it's entirety. It auto starts the next episode. On and on until I have the entire series recorded. This is allowed? Shit, would anyone even know? Of course I have no intention to distribute or share any of the recordings, so would this fall under "fair use"?

I just want to watch my anime at my leisure and not wait for buffering.
>>
>>59945575
>>>nyaa.se
>>
Why are console to PC port developers so fucking dumb?

You can port a game to the PC, but you can't figure out how to replicate the functionality of a config file? Do they hire a bunch of unskilled pajeets?
>>
>>59945423
Got any specific goodies, I'm looking for durability over everything
>>
Anyone know anything about MS Access?

We have a database and I want to send automatic emails when a certain field changes. Does Access have an OnChange listener event or whatever? How do you implement it?
>>
>>59945650
Durability mostly amounts to buying from a good company (with a good warranty)

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/)
>>
>>59945634
You'd be surprised how difficult is is. Most of a console game's power comes from customizing it to work perfectly on exactly one set of hardware.
>>
>>59945408
classicshell
>>
>>59945575
Just pirate it.
>>
>>59939687
How can someone change the commands in your cmd?
>>
File: 1491838594853-v.gif (221KB, 561x560px) Image search: [Google]
1491838594853-v.gif
221KB, 561x560px
>>59945587
>torrenting
But anon...That's piracy!! But in all sincerity, my ISP would be all up in my ass. Not in the good lewd way either like in my Japanese animes. But in the "cease and desist or we'll rape your ass raw" way. I could use a VPN, but then I'm still reliant on other random people's rips/encodes. At least my way way I get to choose bitrate, resolution, etc. Plus I'm not on the up and up with anime compared to others, so the anime I'm watching is older or wasn't all that popular to begin with, so there are few if any seeders.

Now that I'm thinking out loud, there is no way to know I'm even using a recorder in the first place. Glad I asked here and didn't start a new thread because this was a stupid fucking question.
>>
>>59945431
Which laptop do you have?
>>
>>59945773
Try downloading trough IRC then, google XDCC.

Most fansubs that matter have a XDCC bot for those who cant torrent.
>>
Is the wind shield wiper fluid used for anything other than squirting onto the windshield for cleaning? The tank in my car for it has a leak and I don't know if I wanna spend money to replace it
>>
File: IMG_3979.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3979.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is a connected and powered microphone cable with XLR type connector. Whenever i touch it it gives loud static noise on the main channel which sometimes doesn't go away https://a.pomf.cat/snhxrx.webm (with sound)

Is there any way to prevent this? These cables lie under the false floor, but still get enough vibration from people walking on the podium to crackle from time to time.
Thought it was because pin #3 on the socket was wonky (see pic), but other cables are fine and still have this issue.
I recall jack-jack audio cables don't have this issue, since people jump around with electric guitars constantly and nothing crackles.
>>
File: 1477352238535.jpg (15KB, 345x270px) Image search: [Google]
1477352238535.jpg
15KB, 345x270px
>>59945773
Jap companies give no shits about anime not like they are going to pay all that money just to file one with international courts.

>>i choose
No, nigga you are limited to the settings of the streaming service, which isnt high def.

Torrent or STFU
>>
>>59945773
My Uni provides my internet and they're super anal about piracy, but they haven't touched me and I'm seeding pretty much 24/7. Had Comcast before too and they gave zero shits.
>>
>>59945773
Kodi generally lets you record whatever is on the screen. Beyond that, a seedbox and a private tracker is probably what you want. They have ones that specialize in anime
>>
>>59945795
duct tape
>>
File: images.gif (18KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.gif
18KB, 259x194px
I need a bit of help with a simple code in C.
It sends out data to a 10x8 display. It is supposed to be my name moving from left to right. But it's been ages ago and now I'm supposed to do a protocol about this. The program looks like this:
#include "stdio.h"
#include "conio.h"
int
P[90]={hex number,hex number,...};
int x,y,zů
main()
{
for(z=0;z<59;z++)
{
for(y=0;y<50;y++)
{
for(x=0;x<9;x++)
{
outport(888,P[x+z]);
outport(888,x);
delay(10);
}}}}

I know what it is supposed to do but I need a better explanation. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>59945773
I prefered 4chan when you anime fags were fearless law breakers with a libertarian attitude. You sound like a giant fag.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>59945846
the "ů" after "z" is a typo
>>
File: images.png (64KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
64KB, 259x194px
>>59945846
>>59945856
To be exact, I need to know what the "for" commands are doing.
>>
>>59945830
Yeah I would do that but I can't find the specific spot
>>
>HP Enty M6
>Turn it on
>Screen flashes black for half second, POST kicks in and Mayus led flashes one time.
>Turns it off again
So, any ideas?
>>
>>59945885
>open hood
>take out container
>spin container until fluid comes out
>put duct tape on spot fluid comes out
>put container back in
>close hood
>>
Does anyone know how to collide a geometry against a spatial in jmonkey?
>>
I'm trying to resize a table in Word 2013. One of the cells is too tall, so I'm trying to decrease the height, but it won't let me make it any smaller, even though there's a bunch of empty space. wat do?
>>
>>59939687
Do apps I install on android get access to my information? Can they create a profile on my behalf on their servers using information from google?
>>
>>59946084
Read the fucking permissions before you install it retard
>>
>>59946113
No I read all of them, but I was expecting a comment from an app developer.
>>
How do i learn to use a multimeter?
>>
>>59946221
It's pretty much self explanatory, but what exactly do you need?
>>
>>59946229
Something to check dead laptops, to check if its either the power jack or the motherboard itself.
>>
File: 1486838310013.jpg (52KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
1486838310013.jpg
52KB, 540x539px
where the fuck do I get a working LTSB ISO?
I got the eval one from microsoft but mstoolkit doesn't support it and I can't install proper GPU drivers
>>
>>59946252
You only need the one that gives you a beep when two points are shorted to do that, it's fairly simple to use, turn the wheel to that operation and if there's electrical short between the two probes it'll beep.

Check two ends of the jack to confirm but the motherboard may not be as easy to check.
>>
File: 1491879168528.jpg (52KB, 576x472px) Image search: [Google]
1491879168528.jpg
52KB, 576x472px
why are we not building on the moon, would be cheaper then mars ?
answer we don't own the moon stupid.
who owns the moon ?
who can own earth?
is this on ?
what is on ?
>>
what are some good free programs to record skype conversations on windows 10?
>>
>>59946352
melissa
>>
>>59946366
how do u install kodi
>>
>>59946352
Bandicam
>>
>>59945699
404d
>>
>>59946443
it has a 10 min limit per recording in the free version
>>
File: SQL.png (10KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
SQL.png
10KB, 600x315px
Repeat from old thread:

New to sql and need help.

I have tables A and B. A to B has a one-to-many relationship: sometimes there are no B entries containing an A id, sometimes there is one, sometimes several. Every B relates back to one A.

I want to make a table containing A.id, B.id, and B.quantity, where I select all As and only Bs that have the maximum B.quantity for their A. Doing this with just A.id and B.quantity is no problem with the max function, but I don't know how to throw in B.id without selecting all B.id's

The current workaround I'm thinking of is:

SELECT
ST.id, B.id, B.quantity

FROM
(SELECT
A.id, Max(B.quantity) as quantity
FROM
A
left join B on B.id = A.id
GROUP BY
A.id
) as ST
left join B on B.id = ST.id

WHERE
B.quantity = ST.quanitity

This is clunky and inefficient, but so far I haven't found a solution with GROUP BY, HAVING, or max(). Any advice?
>>
>>59946366
I'm sorry but I don't follow.
>>
>>59946502
>how do i.....
>answer
>>
File: uber.jpg (26KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
uber.jpg
26KB, 600x400px
I drive for Uber daily for 5 days a week, and I just bought a brand new LG G6. My old phone was working great but I wanted a better camera and more internal memory. I just got the idea that my old phone, which is now deactivated, but still has functional Wi-Fi and GPS capabilities could continue to take the brunt of Ubering.

My reasoning is that my new phone could be used as a hotspot, only working to access and transmit data to my old phone, which would be using GPS, Wi-Fi and Navigation always on. That way my old phone can continue to do the heavy lifting while my new phone just uses data with it's screen off. I'm trying to extend it's battery health because I'm not the kind of person to buy a new phone every 2 years, and I just want to get the most out of this new phone. Is this a good idea or am I being overly cautious?
>>
best programming paradigm for top down learner
>>
>>59946549
If you do this, you're retarded.
>>
>>59946601
Explain.
>>
Need help overclocking a QX6700 past 3.0Ghz. I'm currently using an Abit FP-IN9 (nforce 650i SLI). Anything I do that gets it past 3 causes it to shut down instantly and not power on unless I keep the power button held. I tried overclocking it with FSB, multiplier, and both. I also tried increasing voltage a bit but that didn't seem to help either. Any tips on this?
>>
What is the best programming language for someone who learns best top-down?
>>
>>59946711
Learn to write code in Binary.
>>
>>59946711
The fuck does this even mean
>>
>>59946734
YOU'RE A GENIUS
>>
Will I be forced to use Windows 10 if I get an i7-7700k/z270 mobo or can I still use Windows 7?
Is Windows 10 still a flaming piece of dogshit?
>>
>>59946816
You can use Windows 7.
You will need to add USB 3.0 drivers to the installer.
https://d.filebox.moe/gbrsnwj.zip

Yes, you can use Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB if you really need to use it.
>>
>>59942679
Anybody?

I need to study for Security+, wat do?
>>
In python, I have a string of characters. What I need is, what is the syntax that will count the number of character that appear before a particular string of characters that is embedded in a larger string of characters. What do? Asking for a friend. for example, if I have the string "12345" I would like something that will tell me how many characters are before "45".
>>
>>59946529
I googled melissa but it didn't yield useful results. Maybe you could clarify what I should be looking for?
>>
What is the term for compiler-understood commands like if, while, true, or data types, as opposed to function or variable calls or operators? I'm sure theres a word for it and I cant think of it and its bugging me.
>>
>>59947122
your_string.index(substring)
>>
>>59947254
Thank you so much!
>>
>>59947258
mad
>>
>>59947264
Least I could do.
>>
>>59947258
How does that image work?
>>
>>59947283
png layers are magic
>>
>>59947283
Transparency and alpha fuckery.
you need photoshop, 2 images and create them as layers and PNGTweak.

Not sure if a new method exists now.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492477364368.jpg (344KB, 1881x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492477364368.jpg
344KB, 1881x2048px
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814126116

If I buy this 1080, do I get two games or just one? It says I get dawn of war 3, but also the ghost recon or for honor.
>>
>>59942659
look up a video dictating the disassembly. Once you get far enough to remove the screen, you should see your ribbon cable that connects the screen. My guess is that's where your break is.
>>
>>59943437
Bamp
>>
>>59947601
DoW and for honor.

One is from Nvidia and the other is from ASUS.
>>
I have a weird question. I remember this tool that Nvidia has/had that allowed you to view models and textures from the VRAM directly.

It was pretty cool and I wanted to set it up but I never did. I don't remember what it was/is called or what it supported/supports.
>>
Looking to buy a laptop, probably a thinkpad t series or a dell xps

Is it possible to get it with no OS? I'm installing arch anyway, and I'd rather not pay for windows if I'm just gonna get rid of it. Do they sell new blank laptops like that? I've never bought a laptop before.
>>
>>59947837
New? not really, its really rare.
>>
I have a folder filled with images, is it possible to sort them by resolution? I'm trying to get all the potential wallpapers out into another folder
>>
>>59939687
Ok, this might be a stupid question but i rather ask before breaking something. Regarding Cpu OC with Cemu.

I overclocked to 4.5 with no Voltage overclock, the maximum load on the cpu with cemu is top 50% it hardly reaches 80ºc with no BSOD.

Yet if strees test it, it will go over 100ºc and speed throttle.

My question is, if use only Cemu which is not high stress could i still broke my cpu ?
>>
File: cf19719b5c54936afeae0d6080295783.png (285KB, 1034x690px) Image search: [Google]
cf19719b5c54936afeae0d6080295783.png
285KB, 1034x690px
>>59939687
should I jump for it?
>>
>>59947870
Really? So if I want a new laptop I have to pay 100-200 bucks for a shitty OS that I'll delete first time I turn it on? Fuck.

So I have to get a used one then?
>>
File: damages.jpg (316KB, 2057x1178px) Image search: [Google]
damages.jpg
316KB, 2057x1178px
>>59939687
I bought this Mac Pro off eBay to gut and use as a case for all my PC parts. It's got these visual defects on the top (dented top 'bars,' a couple scratches/indentations on the top metal plate).
How hard would it be to buff these out and make it look decent again? I figure straightening the top bars should be pretty easy, but I'm not too experienced with refurbishing aluminum.
>>
anybody no where I can find a cracked spotify premium? A the sources I find seem sketch and one tried to install a script that spammed my phone browser with ads
>>
>>59947948
Yes it is. Most easily done with imagemagick + bash (or other shell)

You'd want a script that reads through the resolutions of files, then moves them based on the resolution it detects.
>>
>>59948157
This is why you buy used.
Used business laptops are the best purchase point.
>>
>>59948198
hard, especially if you have no experience with metal.
>>
How do you tell if a binary str is a letter or a number?
>>
>>59948274
Well shit
What would it entail?
>>
File: 2pgx2frkxk4y.jpg (2MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
2pgx2frkxk4y.jpg
2MB, 6000x4000px
I'm looking to for a tablet to root and install linux or maybe W10. What tablet right now is capable of being rooted without a problem and has some decent specs.
>>
>>59948499
Any tablet with a x5-8k CPU.
>>
>>59948499
Tablets that come with Windows 10 are actual UEFI pc's , so no need to root anything to install linux. Tho you may have issues with finding drivers for th touch screen.
>>
Is liquid cooling still a meme?
>>
File: 1477472269388.jpg (109KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477472269388.jpg
109KB, 500x800px
anyone recommended to me a simple method for auto mounting usb drives?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPYtFQaGLI

this is #1 on youtube trending videos

the video is uninteresting garbage

most of the comments look like they were written by samefag shills and they have a ton of upvotes

this is all forced by some marketer right?
>>
>>59948846
and most of the comments have nothing but praise. the worship of kate upton and ricky martin seems absolutely forced

but the like:dislike ratio tells a different story
>>
How good are cheap $80 windows tablets when it comes to performance?

Atom x5-8350 and 2GB RAM are way more than enough for word and watching videos.
How weak is the IGPU that comes with those?
>>
>>59948577
It became more of a meme in recent years.
But ultimately it ceased being relevant after the use of heatpipes.
>>
>>59948577
it's totally unnecessary. if you want a quiet pc, get a big air cooler and be picky about the power supply and case fans. and there are semi-fanless graphics cards like asus strix.

AIO liquid coolers are usually not that good and they're noisy because of the pump.

custom liquid cooling is very very niche, it's expensive and mostly only relevant for HEDT or dual xeon and multi-gpu systems
>>
>>59939687
What's the best keyboard with good key rollover, a num pad, and media keys for less than $60?
>>
>>59948988
X5-8350
Pretty crap

X7-8700
Pretty OK
>>
>>59949152
G610 is pretty good for a legit brand with legit cherry MX brown or red.
>>
>>59948827
sauce?
>>
File: 1474152758139.gif (483KB, 243x270px) Image search: [Google]
1474152758139.gif
483KB, 243x270px
>>59949405
no just a auto mount of removedable media
>>
what's a good cheap-ish cpu cooler?

would going from stock to an aftermarket cpy fan allow me to OC my 3570k, and therefore extend the life where it's still decent?
>>
What's the best value laptop DDR3 memory to get at the moment?
>>
>>59949626
1. A 212 clone such as the Cryorig H7 or BeQuiet! Pure Rock

2. Yes
>>
How do I format write protected usbs? I have some dell windows 10 pre installed usbs and want to use them as 8gb usb's
>>
>>59949706
Depends on what kind of "write protection". You can try formatting them with diskpart if you're on windows.
>>
File: 1423121490343.png (258KB, 549x560px) Image search: [Google]
1423121490343.png
258KB, 549x560px
If I credit someone's github for one of my school's assignments, is it still cheating?
>>
File: 1484214436935.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1484214436935.webm
1MB, 640x360px
Do you think simply having TOR (le cumpromized) on my win7 computer puts me on a short list even if I downloaded it using a VPN and never launch it without first being connected to VPN?
>>
>>59950039
You are now on a list for asking

Niggers are now on their way to tongue your anus
>>
>>59949822
Works great. Thanks.
>>
>>59950039
Just once in my life I would like to meet someone who can type two different things on two keyboards at the same time. Willing to travel.
>>
how do I rice my linux??
>>
>>59950120
Get a DE
>>
File: 1484362623453.jpg (768KB, 900x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1484362623453.jpg
768KB, 900x2200px
>>59950120
>>
Is getting a laptop for gaming worth it?
>>
>>59950039
>assistant holding one of his keyboards for him

Want to see something even stupider?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ
>>
>>59950215
You get more power and bang for your buck out of a desktop, they're more upgradeable and tend to survive a lot longer, but if mobile is important to you, gaming laptops can perform reasonably. Just make sure you get a current generation Nvidia if you go that way.
>>
>>59950215
Absolutely not

T. G73jh owner
>>
>>59950241
Well I just want to use it from my bed and living room couch. I can't find a reasonable way to arrange desktop's peripherals for use in those environments

I'd happily build a desktop otherwise
>>
I installed foobar2000 and when I'm using the album list thing, albums will be missing multiple songs despite the folder having nothing wrong with it, nor the songs themselves being improperly tagged
what do I do so I can just enjoy my music without getting a brain aneurysm?
I'm guessing it's because these albums have multiple artists in them, but I don't know how to set up the "view" settings
>>
>>59950253
Dude, that situation is just begging for a desktop. All you need is a wireless keyboard and some way of mirroring the image to the second room. You could run a long HDMI/VGA, or set up something over the network.
>>
>>59950273
I asked in the battle station thread and someone replied this: >>59949996

I can't find these things though. I find endless articulated arms for desks but not for beds. Is there a specific term I should use
>>
>>59950039
if you have to ask you've probably already done goof'd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1LjQSYM5Q
>>
>>59944565
Bump
>>
>>59950257
well ok I kinda just figured out my own solution
since I have a gorillian albums and folders and stuff, I just had my album list sorted by folders, and then I had foobar2000 shuffle by folder
now I can just have whatever playing in the background
>>
Is OpenOffice still acceptable or is it a botnet now
What's the /g/-approved office suite
>>
>>59946352
bump
>>
>>59950387
Make sure you aren't using any kind of smart surge protector or wall outlet with those little safety buttons like they have in bathrooms. Also maybe reaching for the lamp causes you to bump the mouse in some way.
>>
File: cancer.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>59950141

u mean like this??
>>
>>59950499
OpenOffices is ded. LibreOffice is the maintained fork.
>>
File: 1492327163904.gif (2MB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
1492327163904.gif
2MB, 480x272px
>>59950535
>>
I'm trying to recover some sensitive files and I'm wanting to know what a good program to recover these files are.
Recoover can pick up the files but I want to know what's reliable as far as data confidentially goes.
Don't exactly want some company bringing back any of my files.
>>
>>59950605
Just disconnect the internet
>>
I used my laptop plugged into the wall without a battery, for two years. It was fried yesterday.

Realistically, is the HDD dead as well?

Can't confirm until I get a replacement laptop and try it.
>>
I once had a utility to dl word and crack it but I list it in a HDD crash.
Anyone know what I am talking about.
>>
>>59950626
Depends on what "fried" means. If your mobo just died then probably not. If you got struck by lightning, more likely.
>>
>>59950648
https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/39qnll/guide_for_microsoft_windows_office_and_adobe/
>>
>>59950661
Thanks man that did the trick.
>>
>>59946466
retard
>>
>>59950652
It can't boot anynore, sorry. I used the terminology an anon who replied to me used >>59933345

If my mobo is dead is what happened, then thank fuck my HDD is ok, maybe. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>59950715
If the laptop just stopped powering on, with no power surges or dropping it or anything, I give it like an 80% chance the drive is ok. If you have a desktop around you can just pop it in and start copying shit.
>>
>>59946549
You want your new phone to be a hotspot 24/7 for your old phone?
It will use more battery than it would if it was running GPS and navigation
>>
am i late to the party?
I'm looking for a bluray drive/player
which is better? whats a good one that lasts a while?
>>
i'm a buying a new laptop to replace a piece of shit mac air thats old and completely fucked (not worth a horrendous repair pricetag)

what lenovo is the model for a portable netflix machine
>>
For the program Taiga is it possible to set it to only auto-download shows that I have set at least one specific filter for? I don't want it to start downloading every available release of a show just because I haven't set a specific group filter for that one yet, this functionality was built into MAL updater by default (which I'm recently switching from) but can't seem to figure out how to do it in this program.
>>
>>59950780
Lenovo are made of chinese malware. Which is a shame, because their hardware is actually not bad.
>>
>>59950814
what other options are there?
>>
If one has a computer with Win7 and an iPhone 7, is there any way to get pictures to the computer from the phone directly (without Apple software or cloud shit)?

Like with an Android phone you can just plug it in with USB and navigate to the folder on the phone that has the pictures and copy/paste. Is there any way to do that with the iPhone 7?
>>
>>59950857
Acer, Asus, Dell. HP has gotten better with their chassis, especially on the business models.
>>
File: Nico 237.jpg (137KB, 1024x726px) Image search: [Google]
Nico 237.jpg
137KB, 1024x726px
Is it possible to use youtube-dl in such a way that I can download the videos posted by all my subscriptions from, say, an RSS feed or an XML file rather than through my YouTube account? Because I would really like to just delete my YouTube account.
>>
>>59951097
You could just use an RSS reader instead of your account. A channel's URL is also the URL of its RSS feed.
>>
How sshsould i learn to solder ?
>>
Can I connect a TP-Link ADSL modem/router combo to an old cable modem?
I just want to use the router part of the TP-Link modem because I don't have ADSL and the store won't refund/return
>>
File: 20170418_072324.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170418_072324.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
So this set-up won't give me audio from any audio jack? How could I accomplish that with an 3.5 mm input to RCA output?

(making use of a TV's speakers)
>>
>>59951475
You phrased that poorly. Using that connector you should be able to make an ipod etc play audio through your tv. You may have to have a video feed coming from something to get the tv to output.
>>
>>59951571
mm yeah that's what I thought ..
>>
i bought a fractal design r5 case and have a corsair h80i v2 cooler

would it be retarded to install the radiator on the front panel rather than the back one?

it looks better there aesthetically
>>
I'm gonna need to buy new audio equipment. If I understood correctly, all I need is an cheap amp unless I need to listen to music all across my house + some decent speakers ?

How should I choose them ? Any guides for choosing audio equipment ?
>>
File: 1492379986231.jpg (110KB, 1633x910px) Image search: [Google]
1492379986231.jpg
110KB, 1633x910px
I need a list of best books for JavaScript
like from a book for beginners gradually to more advanced stuff
there are none on the /g/ wiki
>>
Is CPU whine and scratchy CPU noise reason to refund a product? I got a new L470 and I'm not sure if I should send it back. It's not super annoying, it's just that I might get a non-faulty product instead (if it's faulty at all and these processors aren't just shit).
>>
Is there a portable IDE (who works on a usb drive, like Dev-CPP) for Windows (if possible Linux too) that don't use more than 100MB ?
>>
I'm looking for an android app, that will let me edit a txt file.

There are tons of apps that can do this, but I need this app to be just *one* specific text file every time. I need to be one tap away from adding to the list. (Bonus if it can run in a widget.)

Anyone know something like this?
>>
File: texas_disapproves.png (379KB, 629x403px) Image search: [Google]
texas_disapproves.png
379KB, 629x403px
is there some setting fucked up that causes windows desktop sometimes to not update?

>right click refresh
>icon appears

>right click refresh
>recycle bin now properly shows it has something inside

I shouldn't have to refresh manually.

What could cause this?
>>
Is anyone else here feeling tired of technology ? sometimes I feel like I spend too much of my life in front of computers and shit, and not seeing what's out there.., I'm always fantasizing about living in a calm place and plant my own food and survive eating fish and chickens anyone here who quit ? what do you do now ? how do you make money without being stressed out ? I was also thinking about becoming a fisherman who smokes weed.
>>
>>59952258
>simple questions thread
You should probably make your own thread.

Simple answer is maybe that being good at technology also means having control over technology's role in your life. You should use technology to make your life better - not to make your tech better.
>>
>>59952258
>wants to survive on eating fish and chicken
>cannot google how to find those
im not sure
>>
i had a power cut yesterday
power comes back on
i try to turn my pc on
it turns on for a few secs then dies
i turn it back on
pc boots into disc check
im booting off a 960 evo SSD
seems to be working fine

im a dumbfuck but is my pc ok?

should i have taken some other precaution after the power cut
>>
>>59952258
You should expand your mind and abilities with a variety of non-electronic hobbies.

Fishing is hardass work. Ignore romance, study what is. Take breaks and travel, even cheaply.

I recommend motorcycling.
>>
>>59940114
I suggest using a live Linux distro booted from flash using the toram cheatcode if Knoppix-based.

I keep a variety of old Thinkpads and use them for such tasks. Great use for any PC lying about with no hard drive.
>>
>>59952258
Make your own thread. That would be a very interesting topic.

I already thought about it in a bigger scale. How could we end with big societies. That's impressive, but it kind of moved the point of human being for me, which was mainly to survive. Now you're just here to get money, buy stuff you want, spend time with friend and have fun as you can. Some people don't even do the last two which sounds weird for me.

Now I "hate" technology and make sure it isn't between me and my friends. I'll always invite my friends, see them in real life, hang out with them instead of just spending time playing video game online or chatting. Same goes for social media etc.
Technology are like killing what makes us human. Of course it's a great way to stay in touch with people, but it's worth nothing compared to having a drink while eating pizza or just doing a barbecue
>>
>>59952599
The point of humanity is evolution which is why we exist.

The natural progression to expand sentience and reduce suffering is to forge the singularity and create superior "AI" which becomes "I" and replaced meatbags.

Like schools of fish or ants in their mound, the individual is expendable.

Death facilitates evolution.
>>
I require large batteries and seek the toughest phone which will take a Zerolemon upgrade.

Large screen desired because I use it for motorcycle navigation.

What says /g/?
>>
how do I know if a laptop motherboard dead?
>>
>>59942375

Notice that the temperature is 127, or the maximum value of an 8-bit signed integer. Definitely a sensor error.
>>
Very noob question, I have to take my laptop to the shop repair because it doesn't turn on, the problem seems to be the motherboard.
I'm very fucking paranoid so I took out the HD, will they be able to access any of my info?
>>
>>59952903
Nope don't worry
And stop looking at cp ))
>>
File: 1470459931151.gif (451KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470459931151.gif
451KB, 320x240px
Why did NoScript in recent updates decide to make jewgle captcha stop working even with everything set to allow? Major annoyance having to restart the browser to turn it on and off whenever I wanna shitpost or visit shady pornsites.

And while we're on the jewgle captcha subject: why doesn't it work 80% of the time, even if I'm obviously selecting all the right squares?
>>
>>59953225
please fuck off to pol with your shit
>>
File: you.jpg (384KB, 859x860px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
384KB, 859x860px
>>59953241
>waaaaaahhh
>>
>>59953251
I don't have a canadian bone in my body
>>
>>59939687
jesus tap dancing christ
I have forgotten my password to one of my google accounts;
The backup email for this account doesn't exist anymore;
When asked, I tried entering the last password i remember, my first phone number, and another email address I could access for a verification code.
Google still says it could not verify that it's my account.
WHAT THE FUCK DO?! THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!
>>
>>59953270
Hire a hypnotist to make you remember.
>>
So this has been frustrating me for ages, particularly because I can't figure out what's causing it.
Occasionally, after turning it off the night before my PC will just not post in the morning. Did everything you would normally do in a no post situation, but seemingly the fix is random every time.
After booting it restarts just fine and works for a while untill shit hits the fan again. Been happening for quite a while now, and it takes pretty long before it wants to post again. Checked PSU cables and another GPU without any luck. Weird side note: After installing my new GPU PC wouldn't boot at all till i set it to Integrated in the bios and installed the GPU drivers. Pretty weird.
Anyone know what's potentially causing this?
>>
File: SSD.jpg (472KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SSD.jpg
472KB, 1280x1024px
If I can upgrade my laptop with an SSD, but also have the option to add a second drive for cheap... Wouldn't it make sense to just buy a small SSD for programs / OS and then a larger one for all the files and whatnot?
Would there be any practical advantage to buying one large SSD to fit everything?
>>
my phone seems to have died, and I have important numbers and photos on there. I could have sworn those numbers were on the SIM, but apparently not.
Assuming it's not bricked, what are the chances can a good phone repair centre get it working again?
>>
>>59953325
>Wouldn't it make sense to just buy a small SSD for programs / OS and then a larger one for all the files and whatnot?
Yes, on linux.

The idea being that you keep your hard drive unmounted most of the time and not even spinning.
>>
>>59953354
so the main drawback would be that the HDD would waste power to spin?
>>
>>59939687

I bought a new television recently.

I heard its possible to plug storage into the USB slots on these newfangled television and watch movies off of them.

I tried it, but it was a laggy mess.

Of course I don't know how old these flash drives are, I'd guess at least 10 years.

Would getting a modern portable hard drive, preferably SSD, work?
>>
>>59953323
As i finished writing this the motherfucker booted again. Sad, i can get to work now.
Still, what the fuck could even cause this. This time it booted after i reset the CMOS for a second time (battery out, shorted pins).
Seeing as I have a 2500k with a GA-Z77-D3H I'm assuming my mobo might be dying, or something to do with the PCIE controller on the CPU or something but I don't know about that shit. Never have any problems when it werks by the way.
>>
>>59953367
The main drawback is that moving parts are susceptable to damage in a laptop. Also it can be hard to fit everything you want in a small drive. But I'd say go for it. A lot of people get by just fine on that setup. Definitely better than nothing.
>>
should I bother trying to learn any programming language as a talentless good-for-nothing unintelligent and ignorant hikki?
I just don't know that to do with my life
>>
Does changing a wifi adapter also change the MAC address, or is that a function of other hardware?

Could I get around DNS problems just by plugging in a usb wifi adapter?
>>
>>59953270
>>59953288
Let's assume I've 'lost' this account;

Before I forgot this password, I arranged to forward any new emails to my main account.
Will my main account still receive these forwarded emails?
>>
>>59953565
Each adapter comes with its own MAC address. "DNS problems" is pretty vague, and shouldn't have anything to do with your mac address.
>>
>>59953386
It's probably a function of transfer rate and maybe processing. It's a tv not a htpc. You're probably better off using an already-available separate device over DLNA or PLEX

>>59953325
you might as well just add it as a boot and program drive, unless you care about the weight added. You're on the right track, just remember that you can always take out the HDD if you don't like it.

>>59953609
TY. DNS problems in this case refers to my not being able to connect to the DNS using a institutional wifi connection - my university outsources their shit and they limit what devices are allowed on the network by associating each MAC address to a student account. So using my current wifi adapter, I can connect to the wifi network but not the internet. The outsourcing company tech support has no idea what's going on and I can connect using devices like my laptop and phone, and my desktop says it can't connect to a DNS server.

It'll be a while before they're able to send anyone to fix my shit, so I'll buy a new adapter and register that
>>
Every time I shut off my computer and restart it says something along the lines of "no boot media found, insert and restart". If I restart again and go into bios using "del" and just restart from there it works every time. The SSD with Windows is set as first boot priority. I've checked the connection cables.

What can I do to fix this? It's a minor annoyance but still bothering me.

Mobo: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING, 1151

I have yet to check for new bios version but I updated just a couple of months ago but it wasn't what caused this anyway.
>>
File: 20170418_183955.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170418_183955.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
i posted here a couple of days ago about my borked w10 installation after the latest update
now after trying 6 more hours yesterday and today it's probably unsalvageable,the hd itself is fully functional but windows fucked itself hard
here's the deal my laptop has 2 hd bays and i can connect the hd that i want to fix in the second bay,what sort of software can i use to grab my shit off of the broken one?

i made a recovery disk and tried fucking everything advanced boot had,the first thing i tried included running commands in the cmd and i'm pretty sure that's what fucked things up
http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-automatic-repair-couldnt-repair-pc/
please help
>>
Looking for good course of study on Logic formal and informal

I wanted to start with Propositional Calculus is there a good textbook on it that you all would recommend me please?
>>
>>59953670
DNS is not your problem. It just happens to be the first thing to complain out loud about your lack of internet connection. If registering mac addresses is actually your problem, and you are able to get at least one device fully working, then you have two possible solutions.

If you are able to bring up a login page on you phone but not on other devices, copy the address of that page over manually so you can use it to log in on other devices. If that is not possible, you can try to clone your working mac address. This will depend on which of your devices support setting MAC manually. If you can find one thing that works currently and lets you change mac, you can use it to register your other devices one at a time. If student loggins expire, you might find yourself having to repeat this process periodically.
>>
File: Capture.png (27KB, 630x561px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
27KB, 630x561px
Guys I need your help.
Long post so follow along if you can if not.

tldr;
DDR capacity information does not match across motherboard manual and NB chipset version according on their site.
Manual says 4GB max non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Link on site says supports up to 8GB max EEC
what do I buy?

Im working on Pentium 4 system that has to be upgraded,buying new is not an option because the nature of software installed on it.

So my mobo is ASRock P4V88 and is VIA PT880 NB chipset which according to their site doesnt exist instead redirects to 880 ultra that is PCIE motherboard and completely different,but there is a link existing on the wiki.
If archive.org is used we get to this link
The manual that came with the motherboard is the wrong one so I fond the one on their site pic related.

Its important to me to max out the RAM capacity and only sticks I can find online that are 2GB DDR are EEC and
"registered" according to the seller and Im coming up shot on what exactly means(buffered perhaps).
Is it some kind of system/maker/model related memory lock down so it cannot be used on other devices?

Spam filter is fucking up my post
>>
>>59953931
This turned out like shit.
Thanks Hiroshima,I always have to deal with shit like this when I have actual problem but not when Im shitposting.
>>
>>59953767
oh btw i considered getting an enclosure but no shops nearby had any and i don't want to wait 3 weeks to get back my media
>>
>>59953767
http://windowsmatters.com/2016/05/13/gandalfs-windows-10pe-x64-threshold-2-build-10586-version-05-13-2016/
>>
I'm looking at some laptops but I don't know much about brands or hardware stats.
What's better? A laptop with a Intel i3-6100U or one with a AMD A10-8700P?
>>
>>59953735
CMOS battery failing maybe?
Seems like it forgets boot device priority.
>>
I don't understand nothing about photos, camera and other things.
I want to build drone to spy people, normally drones are equipped with gopro clones, which have wide view. So, if I want to spy on people, I'd need a different kind of camera, right?
>>
>>59953735
Try restoring bios defaults. Run testing utility by the drive's manufacturer. If you're still having problems, try repairing windows boot files and sfc /scannow
>>
>>59954018
You know that drones are loud as fuck right?
>>
>>59953960
so i download that,burn it,then boot with it?
what next?
>>
>>59954038
I'm planning a microdrone.
>>
>>59954054
Copy shit. Or use one of the included utilities if you wanna do something else.
>>
I've been running an i5-2500k @ 4.5GHZ for about 2 months, and it's only blue screened maybe 3 times in that time period. Suddenly, while playing a game I got a blue screen, and then could not longer boot into windows without instant blue screening.

When I booted into linux I got multiple machine check exceptions, and it said the cpu was soft locked. After disabling the overclock in bios it was fine, and I could boot in. I reenabled the overclock and went back into linux, checked my temps while running ffmpeg to simulate load, and it only went up to 60C.

It then crashed again in windows, and even memtest froze. What's going on, it ran just fine for so long? I'm not even sure if it's stable on normal overclock, I haven't ran any intensive tests yet.

Specs: i5-2500k
750W PSU
rx480
12gb ram
>>
>>59954102
how would i copy things on the hd?
seemed to me like most of those utilities had to do with mirroing hds and that jazz
i'll give it a shot anyway ty
>>
>>59954144
>how would i copy things on the hd?
Open my computer
Drag.
Drop.

I'm partial to Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v myself
>>
>>59952903
>>59953066
Ok, so my 9yo laptop died, MB failure. Can I, at least, salvage the HDD and plug it to a new laptop? It's enough if it has the SATA connection or it needs to be the same model and brand? I just don't want to loose all my things, and it's not cp goddammit, just personal work that I don't want nosy strangers rummaging through and several games I don't want to lose too.
>>
>>59954203
OH
so after booting through the usb,the hd thats plugged in would show up as a normal drive?
>>
File: 1484395079950.jpg (157KB, 540x378px) Image search: [Google]
1484395079950.jpg
157KB, 540x378px
Okay so i fucked up...
Last night i wanted to update my ubuntu box, did the apt-get upgrade
Buuut i forgot i had a kali rolling entry in my sources file
How do i revert? My machine now identifies as a Kali box
>>
>>59954230
Yeah. It won't be listed as "C:\", and your normally hidden partitions will probably be visible, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.
>>
>>59954318
thanks a fucktonne my man
>>
>>59954018
Pls
>>
>>59953987
It's less than a year old, I built it but I'll consider the cmos battery a possibility of failure. Thank you.

>>59954031
I'll try defaults but I doubt MSI has any software to check for problems, worth taking a look though. I'll run a sfc scan when I get back on it. Thanks.
>>
So I have a Eurosport player subscription, how can I record the stream?
>>
>>59953323
>>59953407
Okay, so it boots consistently when I leave my GPU in with power disconnected, and have it set to Integrated GPU first in the BIOS. Last time when i couldn't boot at all, doing then and then installing the drivers for my 480 did the trick and it booted consistently. I'm also running the Pixel Clock Patcher but I feel like it might be doing wrong, not sure.

Could any of this be a software/UEFI issue?
It seems unlikely because it doesn't post (led on mouse doesn't light up+no bios to confirm) but last time it did the trick somehow.
>>
>>59954111
Ok now neither linux nor windows are booting under base clock. Maybe my psu has shit itself or something? Gonna open up my pc.
>>
I'm trying to revive a dead laptop.
when I remove the hard drive it enters BIOS just fine and I can mess around with the settings, but with a hard drive (I have tried two that I know are functional) it doesn't get past POST.

What happened?
>>
>>59954612
Can't obviously see something. Windows froze on the first red dot appearing (win 7), Linux froze on grub menu, loading linux ramdisk.
>>
>>59954752
Probably secureboot/UEFI. Won't let you boot anything else unless you allow it from within windows or remove drive.
>>
>>59954213
Buy a USB/SATA adapter and use that to copy off your data. Then BACK UP that data because if you only have one copy of important files you fucked up! Never make that mistake again.

Your old OS install is obsolete. See the Thinkpad thread for good notebooks. You may be able to install the drive in one. Post your OS and old notebook model in that Thinkpad thread when asking.
>>
>>59950764
It would only be a hotspot during my time driving for Uber, and I just got back from trying it, new phones drained about 60% battery functioning soley as a hotspot for 1 device. The navigation + Uber device drained to 15% battery life in the same amount of time.
>>
How do I make gui with JS, for user login, and where only an admin can change passwords of other users?
This is new to me, since I used C# until now, so I need to use html with it to make a gui? The passwords are stored in a file on a server.
>>
I have a spare fx4100 and amd3+ mobo with ram. should i build a system for 120euro more and flog it off or sell it for parts as is?
>>
>>59955104
probably just sell it for parts as is. you can get ivy bridge i5 workstations for around ~$120 in the us. idk about eu pricing tho
>>
>>59955192
thanks. i wish i knew about those i5 deals before i bought my gaming pc.
>>
>>59954766
Both linux and windows boot with just one core enabled
>>
>>59955391
Sounds good. Just run it with one core. At least it's still 64 bit
>>
>>59955449
I will of course till I can get this fixed/buy a replacement, but how the fuck did it suddenly kill itself? My temps were fine, never higher than 85 or so, and now suddenly I can't boot normally? What the shit-
>>
>>59955518
what vcore voltage were you using?
>>
>>59955627
+0.085V

I check using cpu-z and it never went over the 1.52V that intel said is the max safe voltage. Not sure why it fluctuated so much above the (1.385? I think 1.3V is stock) it was at, but it should have been safe.
>>
Is there a program for the command line that shows the progress of certain commands (cp, mv, etc)?

There was one called "progress" when i was in Arch but i moved to Debian and it's not in the repository
>>
so what are the hardware problems with the ryzen chips? i dont like buying hardware when they have just released.
>>
how do i change keyboard layout through a batch script?
>>
new thread >>59955828
new thread >>59955828
new thread >>59955828
>>
>>59955702
yikes you should turn the auto voltage stuff off when you overclock otherwise it gives way too much voltage. the highest voltage it ever hits should be the one you put in (so 1.385 in this case) and then the power saving features should throttle it down from there when it's not in use. then just gradually raise the voltage until it stops bluescreening. did you check the voltage and temps while playing games or whatever demanding stuff you do? what kind of cooler do you have?

you should also check the motherboard capacitors around the cpu slot and make sure they arent bulged or anything
>>
>>59955870
I have an evo 212, temps were max 85 or so, and like I said the voltage never went above the 1.52 intel said was safe. I think it was around 1.47 max. Didn't know you were meant to turn off auto voltage, shit, could that have fried it? I'll have a look at the capacitors in a bit, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>59954896
Pls help
>>
>>59955939
yes it can fry it, and the max voltage they say is only safe if you can keep the heat down enough. a lot of times it can hit a heat wall at like 85c for ~20 mins and then go up into the 90s or above. that said those processors can take a lot of abuse and voltage. i'd try reseating it and checking out the motherboard and if it's still fucked make a thread about it on overclock.net. also check out the sandy bridge overclocking guide on there and see what you mightve done wrong
>>
>>59956121
Cheers, I'll try reseating it. I've still got a spare motherboard and an i3 if I have completely fucked it. That's what I get for not reading properly I guess.
>>
if it's the same socket just mix and match them with the spare parts to see what failed if reseating doesnt help. i generally look for the motherboard to fail on those before the processor
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.