[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 38

File: 1476099582199.png (100KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1476099582199.png
100KB, 2400x1800px
Previous thread: >>59848211

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
systemd
>>
File: 1484710485695.jpg (14KB, 447x384px) Image search: [Google]
1484710485695.jpg
14KB, 447x384px
>>59852865
gnu/systemd
>>
>>59852838
>0, 1, 3, 4
fail
>>
File: installgen2.mp4-thimb.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
installgen2.mp4-thimb.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>59852865
>>59852871
What you're refering to as SystemD, is in fact, SystemD/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, SystemD plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning SystemD system made useful by the SystemD corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
Should I use arch as my first distro if I'm not retarded and I can follow instructions?
>>
>>59852915
arch is a meme anon, don't fall for ti
>>
>>59852926
saying arch is a meme is a meme anon, don't fall for it
>>
/g/ has a strange definition of "meme", why?
>>
>>59852952
how do you figure?
>>
>>59852952
This is also a meme.
>>
>>59852915
If you have some time to dedicate to it then yes. I just started using Arch with no prior Linux experience and enjoy it. Took me about two full days before I was comfortable with actually doing things on it or reinstalling.
>>
>>59852952
/g/ memes work the same way like other memes; the difference is that most /g/ things gain popularity because of their cringe worthy incompetence - people who discover these memes and decide to use them "fall" for these memes.
>>
>>59852915
I've used Arch for 3 years now and I knew basically nothing about Loonix (and still don't know much), all I did was type what it said to type in the guide and everything worked. I picked Arch not for any reason other than it doesn't come with any bloat and my SSD is old and small.
>>
>>59853037
Gahnoo/Loonix*
>>
I'm running an encrypted Arch installation and want to require both a password and a keyfile from a USB to get in.
How can I set it up so the USB is encrypted with the keyfile on it so when you boot up you decrypt the USB which decrypts the hard drive?
>>
>>59853037
you fucked up, Arch is pretty much bloated compared to other distros
>>
>tfw running linux apps on linux
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/android-apps-linux-desktop-anbox
>>
>>59853112
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>apps
>>
>>59853112
>"""""""""""""""""""""""apps"""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
File: 1172012634185.jpg (16KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
1172012634185.jpg
16KB, 266x400px
>>59853338
>>
File: 1491527284281.jpg (20KB, 476x323px) Image search: [Google]
1491527284281.jpg
20KB, 476x323px
>>59853338
>>
>>59853112
Who are you quoting?
>>
File: 1390508731534.png (539KB, 670x720px) Image search: [Google]
1390508731534.png
539KB, 670x720px
>>59852838
>0) Install...
>1) Use ...
>2) Dual ...
>3) Go ...

Why would you start a list with the number '0'? wtf?
>>
I supposed this is only partially a linux question but here it goes.

On my laptop I just installed a second SSD in the PCIe slot. My main SSD runs ubuntu. The new one has windows (I need both sorry purists). Now everything works fine, only when I run the windows SSD I must change the BIOS to boot into UEFI. This is fine but there boot speeds take minutes as with the shutdowns, if the system shutsdown properly at all (sometimes I just get a blank black screen for 5+ minutes). Now, how is this related to linux? From what I understand by digging through the limited info on this is that something related to grub is slowing it down. Windows doesn't seem to work well when it's not the main drive.

Does this sound right and is there anyway to fix this other than to switch the OSes in the SSDs? Thanks.
>>
File: 42666831.jpg (68KB, 800x514px) Image search: [Google]
42666831.jpg
68KB, 800x514px
>>59852838
Not in clockwise order
>>
>>59853338
uhhhhhhhh
>>
File: lrg-3111-wunhunglo_cap.png (232KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
lrg-3111-wunhunglo_cap.png
232KB, 600x385px
>>59853420
>>
>>59853338
dafuq
>>
>>59853338
is it a glitch in the matricks?
>>
apt vs aptitude? Just starting Linux with Debian, no sense learning the wrong system.
>>
>>59852838
Those four freedoms are inaccurate. It's missing the freedom to sell your product to others without giving you money and to force others to provide the same "freedoms" you've provided when they've fixed your bugy shit piles.
>>
File: 1480715574671.jpg (223KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1480715574671.jpg
223KB, 1200x1200px
>>59853688
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59853688
noob? aptitude
expert? apt
>>
File: 1488208486462.png (135KB, 630x700px) Image search: [Google]
1488208486462.png
135KB, 630x700px
>>59853338
>>
>>59853380
Anyone?
>>
>arch install ISO defaults to zsh
>finished arch install defaults to bash
what did they mean by this?
>>
>>59853060
Read the wiki
>>
>>59853840
Read the wiki
>>
>>59853853
the wiki says "Bash is the shell that is installed by default in an Arch system. The live installation media, however, uses zsh with the grml-zsh-config addon package. " and doesn't explain why
>>
>>59853060
>>59853840
Arch is for advanced users only.
>>
>>59853870
Arch is for advanced users only.
>>
>>59852838
Are there any serious systemd-less distro backed up by massive community or something? As far as I know, Devuan is ded and it's supported by two or three people.
>>
>>59853879
>>59853872
jesus christ kill yourselves you autists
>>
>>59853907
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Respect
>>
>>59853898
gentoo
>>
>>59853898
whats wrong with systemd???
>>
>>59853898
unfortunately all the distros without it have very few users and developers. the most popular distros that still don't default to it are Gentoo, Void, PCLinuxOS, Slackware, and the rest are basically irrelevant. Gentoo probably has the largest userbase out of those by a large margin, slack has a few users, and the rest have barely any users. Void is a great distro, but has no users and not enough pakages.
>>
>>59853920
>PCLinuxOS
is it even possible to choose worse distro name
>>
>>59853919
it's bloated in terms of lines of code, binary size, number of binaries and unneeded features
>lines of code isn't fair!
runit has 5 000, systemd has 300 000. Obviously runit is more simple and less bloated. Openrc is a meme at this point. systemd isn't horrible, but there's no reason for its bloat, because runit solves the same problems in a much better way.
>>
>>59853929
>give distro generic shitty name
>get tons of downloads from normies who google "PC Linux" and "linux os"
>>
>>59853936
>openrc is a meme at this poit
?
>>
File: 1477442295763.png (104KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1477442295763.png
104KB, 450x450px
>>59853929
>>
>>59853936
what's wrong with openrc
>>
>>59853938
kek, cheeky
>>
>pedora
>>
>>59853939
come on. it's much slower than runit and systemd, and in its effort to copy all of systemd's features, it's become just as bloated and shitty
>>
Systemd is cuckold communist trash. runit is not cucked and is pro white and not controlled by kikes.
>>
>>59853338
how is this achieved?
>>
>>59853919

Very real disadvantages of systemd:

1. systemd is tied to a specific kernel and a specific libc and specific device manager and specific journaling daemon, basically, having systemd means you're locked in to a whole lot of other things.
2. systemd is renowned for locking up during startup and boot when you have network filesystems.
3. systemd hardcodes quite a lot of the booting and shutdown process in C which other systems place in easily editable scripts.
4. systemd in practice requires quite a lot of things: ACLs, PAM, dbus, polkit, these are not hard requirements but without this the above advantages are lost so all distributions enable them at compile time.
5. logind starting to do retarded shit like user sessions and having retarded power management, in theory you can disable logind, but no distribution again does this.
6. systemd is very monolithic and comes in one configuration compared to being able to piece your system together yourself.
7. systemd appropriates the cgroup tree and takes control of it and completely messes with any other user of the cgroup tree and really wants them all to go through systemd, systemd was wirtten basically on the assumption that nothing but systemd would be using cgroups and they even tried to lobby to make cgroups a private prioperty of systemd in the kernel but that went no-where.
8. systemd's usage of cgroups for process tracking is a fundamentally broken concept, cgroups were never meant for this and it's a good way to fuck resource usage up.
9. systemd has a hard dependency on glibc for really no good reason.
10. systemd relies on DBus for IPC, as the name 'Desktop bus' implies DBus was never written with this in mind and it shows. DBus was written to facilitate IPC within a single desktop session, not as a transport during early boot. This is why systemd wanted to push kdbus heavily beause kdbus solved some of the problems inherent to DBus being used as IPC during early boot.
>>
>>59853965
lines of code is a retarded metric (sure it's slightly indicative of complexity but pretty useless) but if we briefly pretend it isn't:
>openrc has, as a whole about 30k lines of code
>systemd has ten times as many
>>
>>59853966
what's the original form of this meme?
>>
Can someone please explain to me in what way other package managers are "better" than aptitude and why I may want to switch distros?
>>
>>59853987
Linux + BSD
>>
>>59853919
>>59853985
11. systemd's security and general code quality practices are less than stellar, a lot of security bugs pop up in systemd due to its insistence of putting quite a bit of code in pid1 and quickly adding new features and quickly changing things.
13. systemd creates dependencies and is a dependency of things for political reasons in order to encourage people to pick these things. This is not conjecture, Lennart has admitted multiple times that he creates dependencies to 'gently push' everyone to the same configuration
14. systemd is monolithic for its own sake. It's basically product tying to encourage people to pick an all-or-none deal to again gently push towards this consistency.
15. Lennart Poettering, the face of systemd and its lead dev is the biggest primadonna FOSS has ever known who continues to shift blame and demand that entire world adapt to his designs.
>>
>>59853966
are there any distros that use runit that aren't void?
>>
>>59853987
Linux is cuckold communist trash. BSD is not cucked and is pro white and not controlled by kikes.
>>
File: 1474821488991.jpg (47KB, 610x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474821488991.jpg
47KB, 610x400px
>>59853338
>>
Systemd-tards and CIAniggers haven't posted one single argument in favor of systemd or why anyone should use it.

Here's some more reasons not to use it:

1. it's unauditable, at hundreds of thousands of lines of code
2. it's a large attack surface.
3. system logging is fundamentally flawed, almost broken
4. it has become an underlying dependency for top-level software layers; to forgo shitd is to forgo that software that depends on it
5. it places way too many potential failure cases into what is probably the most critical program in the system
6. what problem is it solving again?
7. bluring userspace with kernel land. MS tried this between 99-03 with kernel32.exe and IIS, and look how that turned out for them
8. because top software layers depend on it, and because it won't work anywhere else but Linux, it effectively shifts entire projects (and desktops) to linux-only, co-opting development for a specific environment
9. why was this needed when there were existing solutions?
>>
>>59854000
>Berkeley Software Distribution
>Berkeley
>pro white and not controlled by kikes
>>
>>59853988
they aren't, it's a meme
.deb format is technically superior to .rpm. Package manager is really pretty irrelevant and you shouldn't switch distro because of it (unless you desperately need software that's only available for a certain format like deb or rpm)
>>
>>59853911
F
>>
>>59853919
systemd was created by an SWJ faggot who works for RedHat, a company that is basically a CIA front. It was forced on all distributions almost overnight.

The arguments against systemd and why it's bad have been posted over and over, yet systemd shills continuously pop up saying no one has provided any arguments against systemd and that Lennart Poettering's cock is small so it doesn't stretch your asshole or hurt too bad while he's fucking you over with a CIA trojan that runs at PID 1.

The systemd developers are making it harder and harder to not run on systemd. Even if Debian supports not using systemd, the rest of the Linux ecosystem is moving to systemd so it will become increasingly infeasible as time runs on.

By merging in other crucial projects and taking over certain functionality, they are making it more difficult for other init systems to exist. For example, udev is part of systemd now. People are worried that in a little while, udev won’t work without systemd. Kinda hard to sell other init systems that don’t have dynamic device detection.

The concern isn’t that systemd itself isn’t following the UNIX philosophy. What’s troubling is that the systemd team is dragging in other projects or functionality, and aggressively integrating them. When those projects or functions become only available through systemd, it doesn’t matter if you can install other init systems, because they will be trash without those features.

An example, suppose a project ships with systemd timer files to handle some periodic activity. You now need systemd or some shim, or to port those periodic events to cron. Insert any other systemd unit file in this example, and it’s a problem.
>>
>>59854031
The reason I'm asking is because people like to mention "better dependency management" or shit like that and I can't imagine how that could be improved.
>>
>>59854038

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.
>>
>>59854026
all they can do is compare it to sysv/scripts, which have been obsolete garbage for years, and are used by basically 0 distros at this point, and say that systemd isn't that bad. there's no actual reason to use it instead of openrc (or runit, if it isn't just a meme). I feel like the only reason anyone used it now is that Red Hat was backing it, and at the time Debian switched, runit and openrc were much worse than they are today.
>>
We can all agree that hating systemd is a meme.

Most people hear it's bad and so they propagate the idea, and blow it out of proportion without much research, consideration or thought.
When systemd first appeared, it was quickly adopted because not many people had qualms about it.
Those who did (and those were few) had their own reasons and thoughts (they didn't get meme'd into hating it) and moved onto other init systems.
Most of them were reasonable enough not to start a fucking civil war because of them, because even they knew that systemd is a natural step forward in general.

If systemd was as hated as it is now, it would never have been so widely adopted.

>So, how did this meme really come about?
Well, I'll tell you.

systemd is the most advanced init system in existence.
It's better than Apple's launchd and better than whatever Microsoft has.
It's arguably one of the best things that happened to GNU since Linux.
The jews know this, so they spawned a fake controversy around it in order to divide the community, sabotage the project and keep GNU/Linux from advancing as an operating system and gaining more market share.
Just think about it:
>Linux - the most advanced kernel in existence
>systemd - the most advanced init and service manager in existence
>free as in both freedom and beer
And now with Steam OS, Chrome OS and both Wayland and Vulkan maturing, it's only a matter of time before GNU/Linux becomes truly mainstream and takes over the gaming market.
But they were a bit late to notice this before the wide adoption of systemd.

That's how, even though it seemed like a natural step forward in the evolution of GNU/Linux back then, systemd is the most controversial topic in the FOSS world right now.

>TL;DR
Hating systemd is an artificial meme brought about via CIA's advanced meme warfare techniques in order to prevent the year of the GNU/Linux desktop.
See http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a507172.pdf
>>
>>59853911
glad i dodged that bullet [spoiler]by using a mac[/spoiler]
>>
>>59854044
dependency management being bad on some distros is also a meme. sure, in early versions of yum it was really slow but it works fine now. unless there's a tangible benefit to switching distro, or something you can do better/more easily on another, just ignore the memes here and don't switch.
>>
>>59854050
>never have been so widely adopted.
Distro devs are LAZY and throwing in someting that makes everything UPSTREAM is "better" for them.
Its not
Read:
>>59853985
>>59853998
>>
There are 3 main groups of systemd haters, and they all have valid critcisms:

People who don't like the fact that systemd has massive scope creep. Specifically that it tries to reimplement many existing services instead of improving / integrating existing ones. For example user switching, network management, logging, etc.

People who don't like the idea of everything relying on systemd interfaces to work at all. For example gnome started to rely on logind and other services even though it technically didn't need to.

People who don't like the management of the project. Lennart can be a dick to people with different opinions. He also created many interesting projects which were both a bit complex and pushed before they were ready. (like pulseaudio, packagekit) Since they were forced on people via popular distros, pulseaudio became "the thing that's always broken" for a year or so. And since Lennart was the author, he became a person who breaks the system.

>in b4 a CIA shill replies with "no one will post a single valid criticism of systemd"
>>
>>59854048
>systemd is not an init system
systemd advocates/defenders will gladly say this now, to justify its growing in scope and complexity, but when it was first being introduced it was only an init system. Debian wouldn't have picked it if it was as bloated as it has become today. Now everyone just has to let it grow and take over more system components because they picked it and it's too late to change.
>>
File: 1466898289702.jpg (272KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1466898289702.jpg
272KB, 1200x1200px
>>59854038
>>59854048
.xuniL/UNG fo snoitubirtsid yllaer era snoitubirtsid "xuniL" dellac-os eht llA .xuniL/UNG ro ,dedda xuniL htiw UNG yllacisab si metsys elohw eht :metsys gnitarepo UNG eht htiw noitanibmoc ni desu yllamron si xuniL .metsys gnitarepo etelpmoc a fo txetnoc eht ni noitcnuf ylno nac ti ;flesti yb sselesu tub ,metsys gnitarepo na fo trap laitnesse na si lenrek ehT .nur uoy taht smargorp rehto eht ot secruoser s'enihcam eht setacolla taht metsys eht ni margorp eht :lenrek eht si xuniL .esu yeht metsys eht fo trap a tsuj si ti tub ,ti gnisu era elpoep eseht dna ,xuniL a si yllaer erehT

.tcejorP UNG eht yb depoleved ,metsys UNG eht yllacisab si ti taht erawa ton era sresu sti fo ynam dna ,"xuniL" dellac netfo si yadot desu ylediw si hcihw UNG fo noisrev eht ,stneve fo nrut railucep a hguorhT .ti gnizilaer tuohtiw ,yad yreve metsys UNG eht fo noisrev deifidom a nur sresu retupmoc ynaM

.XISOP yb denifed sa SO lluf a gnisirpmoc stnenopmoc metsys lativ dna seitilitu llehs ,sbileroc UNG eht yb lufesu edam metsys UNG gninoitcnuf ylluf a fo tnenopmoc eerf rehtona rehtar tub ,flesti otnu metsys gnitarepo na ton si xuniL .xuniL sulp UNG ,ti gnillac ot nekat yltnecer ev'I sa ro ,xuniL/UNG ,tcaf ni si ,xuniL sa ot gnirrefer er'uoy tahW .tnemom a rof tcejretni ot ekil tsuj d'I
>>
>>59854064
this
previous solutions were shitty, and different on every distro. at the end of the day it's a major piece of hard work that the distro maintainers can have somebody else do, with a result that's uniform across most distros. It's laughable that Arch, a distro that prides itself on "minimalism" and "simplicity" ended up going with an infinitely more complex solution out of sheer laziness.
>>
>>59854038
>forced on distros overnight
I hate systemd but this obviously isn't true. Ubuntu put up a massive fight against it, and it took quite a while for debian to come around. The only reason people adopted it was out of laziness. No more maintaining your own init scripts, just have poettering do it for you. As soon as Arch figured it out, everyone wanted to stop writing their own scripts. At the time it was initially adopted, upstart was much worse and slower, openrc was very unfinished in comparison, and runit hadn't reached 1.0.
>>
File: 1462101540792.jpg (15KB, 240x215px) Image search: [Google]
1462101540792.jpg
15KB, 240x215px
>>59854038
It is inadvisable to describe the free software community, or any human community, as an “ecosystem,” because that word implies the absence of ethical judgment.

The term “ecosystem” implicitly suggests an attitude of nonjudgmental observation: don't ask how what should happen, just study and understand what does happen. In an ecosystem, some organisms consume other organisms. In ecology, we do not ask whether it is right for an owl to eat a mouse or for a mouse to eat a seed, we only observe that they do so. Species' populations grow or shrink according to the conditions; this is neither right nor wrong, merely an ecological phenomenon, even if it goes so far as the extinction of a species.

By contrast, beings that adopt an ethical stance towards their surroundings can decide to preserve things that, without their intervention, might vanish—such as civil society, democracy, human rights, peace, public health, a stable climate, clean air and water, endangered species, traditional arts…and computer users' freedom.
>>
>3 /fglt/s in catalog
good work gentlemen
>>
File: 1488716884258.jpg (17KB, 353x332px) Image search: [Google]
1488716884258.jpg
17KB, 353x332px
>>59854062
Gotcha, thanks.
Please find enclosed this picture of a confused cat as payment for services rendered.
>>
File: sɯɹ.jpg (144KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
sɯɹ.jpg
144KB, 1024x682px
>>59854100
˙xnui˥/∩Nפ ɟo suoiʇnqiɹʇsip ʎllɐǝɹ ǝɹɐ suoiʇnqiɹʇsip ,,xnui˥,, pǝllɐɔ-os ǝɥʇ ll∀ ˙xnui˥/∩Nפ ɹo 'pǝppɐ xnui˥ ɥʇiʍ ∩Nפ ʎllɐɔisɐq si ɯǝʇsʎs ǝloɥʍ ǝɥʇ :ɯǝʇsʎs ƃuiʇɐɹǝdo ∩Nפ ǝɥʇ ɥʇiʍ uoiʇɐuiqɯoɔ ui pǝsn ʎllɐɯɹou si xnui˥ ˙ɯǝʇsʎs ƃuiʇɐɹǝdo ǝʇǝldɯoɔ ɐ ɟo ʇxǝʇuoɔ ǝɥʇ ui uoiʇɔunɟ ʎluo uɐɔ ʇi ;ɟlǝsʇi ʎq ssǝlǝsn ʇnq 'ɯǝʇsʎs ƃuiʇɐɹǝdo uɐ ɟo ʇɹɐd lɐiʇuǝssǝ uɐ si lǝuɹǝʞ ǝɥ┴ ˙unɹ noʎ ʇɐɥʇ sɯɐɹƃoɹd ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ oʇ sǝɔɹnosǝɹ s,ǝuiɥɔɐɯ ǝɥʇ sǝʇɐɔollɐ ʇɐɥʇ ɯǝʇsʎs ǝɥʇ ui ɯɐɹƃoɹd ǝɥʇ :lǝuɹǝʞ ǝɥʇ si xnui˥ ˙ǝsn ʎǝɥʇ ɯǝʇsʎs ǝɥʇ ɟo ʇɹɐd ɐ ʇsnɾ si ʇi ʇnq 'ʇi ƃuisn ǝɹɐ ǝldoǝd ǝsǝɥʇ puɐ 'xnui˥ ɐ si ʎllɐǝɹ ǝɹǝɥ┴

˙ʇɔǝɾoɹԀ ∩Nפ ǝɥʇ ʎq pǝdolǝʌǝp 'ɯǝʇsʎs ∩Nפ ǝɥʇ ʎllɐɔisɐq si ʇi ʇɐɥʇ ǝɹɐʍɐ ʇou ǝɹɐ sɹǝsn sʇi ɟo ʎuɐɯ puɐ ',,xnui˥,, pǝllɐɔ uǝʇɟo si ʎɐpoʇ pǝsn ʎlǝpiʍ si ɥɔiɥʍ ∩Nפ ɟo uoisɹǝʌ ǝɥʇ 'sʇuǝʌǝ ɟo uɹnʇ ɹɐilnɔǝd ɐ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴ ˙ʇi ƃuizilɐǝɹ ʇnoɥʇiʍ 'ʎɐp ʎɹǝʌǝ ɯǝʇsʎs ∩Nפ ǝɥʇ ɟo uoisɹǝʌ pǝiɟipoɯ ɐ unɹ sɹǝsn ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ʎuɐW

˙XISOԀ ʎq pǝuiɟǝp sɐ SO llnɟ ɐ ƃuisiɹdɯoɔ sʇuǝuodɯoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs lɐʇiʌ puɐ sǝiʇiliʇn llǝɥs 'sqilǝɹoɔ ∩Nפ ǝɥʇ ʎq lnɟǝsn ǝpɐɯ ɯǝʇsʎs ∩Nפ ƃuiuoiʇɔunɟ ʎllnɟ ɐ ɟo ʇuǝuodɯoɔ ǝǝɹɟ ɹǝɥʇouɐ ɹǝɥʇɐɹ ʇnq 'ɟlǝsʇi oʇun ɯǝʇsʎs ƃuiʇɐɹǝdo uɐ ʇou si xnui˥ ˙xnui˥ snld ∩Nפ 'ʇi ƃuillɐɔ oʇ uǝʞɐʇ ʎlʇuǝɔǝɹ ǝʌ,I sɐ ɹo 'xnui˥/∩Nפ 'ʇɔɐɟ ui si 'xnui˥ sɐ oʇ ƃuiɹɹǝɟǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ʇɐɥM ˙ʇuǝɯoɯ ɐ ɹoɟ ʇɔǝɾɹǝʇui oʇ ǝʞil ʇsnɾ p,I
>>
>>59854158
Wew, do you have a charset for this?
>>59854100
Easy
linux | rev | tac
>>
>>59854158
>.jpg
>>
>>59854172
I just used this site
http://www.upsidedowntext.com/
>>
Does anyone use one of the AMD APUs with Linux? Can I use the AMDGPU driver with them or does only the radeon driver work?
>>
>>59853936

Did babby count only the lines of systemd-init or did babby count the lines of all the utilities that come with systemd?
Something is telling me babby counted all of them to reinforce his argument, which proves babby is retarded, doesn't know enough about the subject matter and that babby knows he's wrong so babby had to misinterpret facts.
>>
I don't really understand them, but are flatpak and snaps just programs with libraries bundled? That sounds retarded and bloated. Why would anyone want windows .DLL cancer in GNU/Linux?
>>
>>59854100
H O W
O
W
>>
>>59854198
>bloat isn't bloat if you don't count the bloat when counting it
>>
>>59853985

>8. systemd's usage of cgroups for process tracking is a fundamentally broken concept, cgroups were never meant for this

>Control Groups provide a mechanism for aggregating/partitioning sets of
>tasks, and all their future children, into hierarchical groups with
>specialized behaviour.
>There are multiple efforts to provide process aggregations in the Linux kernel,
>mainly for resource-tracking purposes.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cgroup-v1/cgroups.txt

Hmmm, really makes you think.
>>
File: 1489187475543.png (228KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
1489187475543.png
228KB, 770x433px
why is this allowed?
>>
>>59854217

You don't know what bloat is.
You don't know how to compare things.
You aren't familiar with the subject matter you're trying to fake deep understanding off.

This is a technology related forum, stop embarrassing yourself. I know it's anonymous, but surely even retards like you can feel painful embarrassment.
>>
>>59854223
because it saves lazy distro developers effort
>>
>>59854223

What is wrong with it? Apart from the fact that you redistributed a shitty quality picture of someone obviously saving a JPEG encoded picture as PNG.
>>
File: Win10.jpg (339KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Win10.jpg
339KB, 1920x1080px
>>59852838
Alright /g/ im bored, on 2 weeks vacation and wanting to waste some time.

I have a laptop with an i3 3117u and 8gb of ram.

What distro should i use to rice and be my main OS on the go?

Arch, Kali, Tails or Parrot? Kali and tails i use them very often being an ITS student, Arch i have never used but i "use" Ubuntu as my main VM OS.

Pic related is my riced wn10
>>
>>59854252
hey guys, the resident systemd shill who accuses everyone of not knowing what systemd is is back!
>>
>>59854256
>distor """developers"""
it's not like they had to put in a substantial ammount of efferot to begin with
>>
>>59854265
Arch, the rest are horrible. Mind explaining how you did that do win10?
>>
>>59854266

Nice ad hominem.
If people weren't making retarded claims I wouldn't have to point them out. I do this for every piece of software, not just systemd. But obviously you don't know because your reading comprehension is lacking and because you yourself are what you would call an "anti systemd shill".
>>
File: systemd components.png (62KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
systemd components.png
62KB, 720x405px
>>59854264
>>
>>59854184
Thanks, here the offline version, fresh out of the meme factory.

flipflop(){ 
sed '
y/ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA/ZYXMΛ∩┴SɹQԀONW˥ʞſIHפℲƎpƆq∀/
y/zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba/zʎxʍʌnʇsɹbdouɯlʞɾiɥƃɟǝpɔqɐ/
y/9876543210/68ㄥ9ϛㄣƐᄅƖ0/
' <<< "${@:-$(</dev/stdin)}" | rev | tac
}
>>
>>59854299
neat
>>
>>59854299

You forgot to flip some letters like H and I.
>>
>>59854310
I just copied what I got from there >>59854184. Do you have better chars?
>>
>>59854368

It was meant to be a joke.
>>
>>59854368
flipflop(){
sed '
y/ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA/ZYXMΛ∩┴SɹQԀONW˥ʞſIHפℲƎpƆq∀/
y/zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba/zʎxʍʌnʇsɹbdouɯlʞɾiɥƃɟǝpɔqɐ/
y/9876543210/68ㄥ9ϛㄣƐᄅƖ0/
y/!?_.<>/¡¿‾·></
' <<< "${@:-$(</dev/stdin)}" | rev | tac
}

added some punctuation

$ flipflop ">implying you can greentext"
ʇxǝʇuǝǝɹƃ uɐɔ noʎ ƃuiʎldɯi<
>>
File: 1466853671946.jpg (59KB, 388x296px) Image search: [Google]
1466853671946.jpg
59KB, 388x296px
>>59854372
fuck
>>
so how do I spread my .Xresources across multiple files?
it's a mess right now and I want to be able to change just one line to change the colorscheme and have different colorschemes in different files
>>
>>59854380
v^
>>
>>59854382
>old meme
>>
>>59854406
learn 2 #include pathtofile
>>
>>59854406
source otherfile
>>
>>59854420
thanks

>>59854426
isn't that just for scripts?
>>
>>59854431
You can also just run xrdb ~/.Xresourced.d/gaycolors.
>>
>>59854458
s/d\./s./
>>
File: blackicon.png (9KB, 223x24px) Image search: [Google]
blackicon.png
9KB, 223x24px
I'm using MATE for the first time, and I like it a lot overall. But for some reason the icons in the right hand corner for audio/networking info/battery/bluetooth/updates have switched from white to black. How can I make these icons white again?
>>
So when I set the allowed max processes with ulimit to 100 and run a fork bomb, it will stop creating new forks, fine, but how do I kill the bomb, since kill is one more process (which isn't allowed)?
>>
>>59854018
aww
>>
How do I execute a shell script by clicking it in my file browser?
>>
>>59854491
interesting
>>
>>59854500
depends on the file browser I suppose
you might wanna see the output of that shell script in your terminal though

>>59854491
try it
>>
>>59854409
Caret is a line delimiter in sed and escaping didn't help.
>>
>>59854491
sudo
>>
>>59854479
install conky
>>59854491
set it to unlimited
>>59854500
rm -rf ~/*
or
sudo rm -rf /*
>>
>>59854525
haha epic meme my friend
I also frequent /r/linuxmemes
>>
>>59854525
haha, this is now my fb status
>>
>>59854525
roflcopter
>>
>>59854525
gay homo fag
>>
>>59854525
WARNING: Please dont run this. The poster is an internet troll and the commands will delete all your files.
>>
>>59852838
Is there a media player in linux that play full blueray menu?
>>
>>59854592
no
>>
>>59854592
yes
>>
>>59854592
maybe
>>
good thread
>>
>/fglt/
Faglet
>>
>>59854615
good post
>INB4: good reply
>>
>>59854592
mpv
>>
Post your .bashrc (or zsh) PS1, I'm not sure what to use as mine.
>>
there's no reason to say linux
>>
>>59854666
PS1='C:$(pwd | sed "s:/:\\\\\\\:g")> '
>>
>>59854674
made me kek
>>
>>59854666
PS1='$ '
>>
I'm unable to find or connect to my wireless network after rebooting into my new Arch install. Was able to scan for it and connect to it fine during setup and chrooting into it and also have no problem accessing it on a Mint live usb.
Here's the scan from mint showing the network
https://pastebin.com/Ng4HSm9m

Anyone have any ideas of what to do here?
>>
Escape the $, so it changes to # when you're root.
>>
>>59854666
# ANSI color codes
RS="\[\033[0m\]" # reset
HC="\[\033[1m\]" # hicolor
UL="\[\033[4m\]" # underline
INV="\[\033[7m\]" # inverse background and foreground
FBLK="\[\033[30m\]" # foreground black
FRED="\[\033[31m\]" # foreground red
FGRN="\[\033[32m\]" # foreground green
FYEL="\[\033[33m\]" # foreground yellow
FBLE="\[\033[34m\]" # foreground blue
FMAG="\[\033[35m\]" # foreground magenta
FCYN="\[\033[36m\]" # foreground cyan
FWHT="\[\033[37m\]" # foreground white
BBLK="\[\033[40m\]" # background black
BRED="\[\033[41m\]" # background red
BGRN="\[\033[42m\]" # background green
BYEL="\[\033[43m\]" # background yellow
BBLE="\[\033[44m\]" # background blue
BMAG="\[\033[45m\]" # background magenta
BCYN="\[\033[46m\]" # background cyan
BWHT="\[\033[47m\]" # background white

PS1="$FGRN${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u$FWHT@$FGRN\h$FWHT:$HC$FBLE\w$FGRN \$ $RS"
>>
>>59854718
0 isn't needed on reset (but looks cleaner)
033 can be replaced with e
>>
>>59854708
>escape the $
what did you mean by this?
>>
>>59854743
what he did: >>59854718
>>
>>59854743
I think he was replying to >>59854696
>>
>>59854696
I agree anything more than that is wasting time.
>>
>>59854754
>he
>>
>>59854702
find your wifi interface name
ip link

let's assume it's `wlan0`
ip link set wlan0 up

install wpa_supplicant if you don't have it already, then use it to connect to your network
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c <(wpa_passphrase <SSID> <password>) -B

and get your IP, DNS and network info
dhcpcd wlan0

for more info, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
>>
>>59854764
I know how to connect to a network m8, the problem is the network isn't showing up after I boot into the new install. Do you need to install extra firmware or something like that to make chinkshit modems show up on scans?
>>
>>59854762
90% of /g/ is male, and most of the remaining 10% are traps
>>
>>59854762
sed 's/he(female)/' <<< ">>59854743
I think he was replying to >>59854696"
>>
File: scrot.png (5KB, 496x363px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
5KB, 496x363px
>>59854666
export PS1='\n\[\e[31m\]╭|╮\n╰|╮\n╰|╯ \[\e[m\]'
>>
>>59854779
you can't scan for networks at all?
if so, find out the model of your wifi card, find the driver, if it's installed, try to load it with modprobe, if not install it
>>
>>59854807
>exporting PS1
why?
>>
File: 2017-04-12-100648_676x424_scrot.png (24KB, 676x424px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-12-100648_676x424_scrot.png
24KB, 676x424px
>>59854807
>>
>>59854793
sed 's#s/he(female)/#s/he/he(female)/g/#g' <<< "sed 's/he(female)/' <<< \">>59854743
I think he was replying to >>59854696\""
>>
>>59854849
>tfw lolcat isn't packaged in your distro
>>
>>59854809
I can scan and several other networks around my house show up just not the one I want
>>
>>59854866
hidden ssid?
>>
>>59854862
>>59848957
>>
>>59854807
>>59854849
how to get a linux command?
>>
>>59854871
No, as I said Ihad no trouble scanning for and connecting to it during setup
>>
>>59854900
linux(){ 
cat << 'GNU'
Pasta here.
GNU
}
>>
alias linux='cat /path/to/interjection | fmt | lolcat'
>>
>>59854875
thanks anon for the non bloated software
how do I use it though? do you need to call python to use it?
>>
>>59854915
save as lolcat
chmox +x lolcat
move it somewhere in your $PATH
run uptime | lolcat
>>
>>59854924
chmod +x lolcat*
lolcat -h prints usage
>>
fglt might actually be salvageable
>>
>>59854914
>lolcat
>ruby dependency
bloated software that sucks. use >>59854875 instead.
>>
Arch is just a stepping stone.
>>
>>59854960
okay
>>
>>59854914
UUOC
you can drop the cat and just use fmt or lolcat plus filename
>>
>>59854933
can I remove the .py from the end? thanks for the script.
>>
>>59854978
yes, here at gnu/linux we check file magic instead of extentions
>>
fglt is okay
>>
>>59855000
trips of truth, /g/s last good thread
>>
>>59854995
that, and the fact that case sensitivity actually matters were the biggest shocks to me as a former winfag
>>
>>59855002
good post
>>
>>59855002
don't say that, anon..
>>
>>59855000
/fglt/ can be saved
we just need to ban the rudeposters, distro wars, gpl vs bsd wars and systemd wars.
>>
File: viking stop man.jpg (114KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
viking stop man.jpg
114KB, 762x464px
Stop lowercase posting.
>>
>>59855031
Stop Vargposting.
>>
>>59855031
That pic is on autoprune btw. Last time I made a stop thread people posted without thread bumping.
>>
>>59855046
serves them right, vargposting is a horrible forced meme and not funny at all
>>
Varg should jump to GNU/Linux.
He's all about freedom and independence.
>>
Not to start a shitstorm, but-

Ubuntu or mint?
>>
>>59855078
neither
just use plain debian. Mint is garbage, with bad security practices, shitty repos and packages. Ubuntu is run by canonical, a negative influence on GNU/Linux that would gladly sell their user's privacy (they basically tried to, with amazon). Debian is a tiny bit harder to use if you need nonfree firmware etc, but just try it.
>>
>>59855078
If you're a total beginner, go with Ubuntu or one of it's flavours (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME).
When you get a bit more comfortable with the command line, try Debian.
>>
>>59855078
There's no reason to use Mint.
>>
>>59852838
What's a good alternative to Adobe CS6 on Linux?

I'm sick of dual booting and having to pirate CS6.

Is there a good photoshop editor other than Gimp? Gimp sucks because it doesn't give enough visuals to what you're doing, like when you move a picture the picture itself doesn't move and instead when dragged you see a square.
>>
>>59855129
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Alternative
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Linux
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
>>
>>59855129
if you have to use it, try wine or a VM
>>
>>59855129
Photocuck runs fine in WINE.
>>
File: titled.png (62KB, 393x254px) Image search: [Google]
titled.png
62KB, 393x254px
>>59855129
What's wrong with GIMP?
>>
>>59855129
I'm afraid GIMP is the best photo editing FOSS you will get. Although Photoshop should be running fine in Wine.

>>59855139
>Replying with autism.
>>
>>59855129
there's also Krita and Inkscape
>>
anyone here have a dell xps 15 9560? how well does it work with gnu/linux?
>>
I've been trying out a ton of different distributions and I can't settle. I love them all. Talk me into sticking with one.

Also, do I need Windows 10 for anything? At the moment Netflix is a bit laggy on Linux but I think it can be fixed. All of my university's programming classes are also in C# so I feel that might be an issue if I uninstall Windows?
>>
File: titled2.png (389KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
titled2.png
389KB, 1024x1024px
>>59855129
No really, just learn GIMP. It doesn't take long. Read the documentation on their website, check for some of the millions of plugins and enjoy freedom.
>>
>>59855253
distro isnt really important
I like void because it uses runit and has better devs than Arch, but arch is also good. distro really doesn't matter much. I prefer rolling releases that don't install any bloat and trust you to configure stuff yourself (void, arch, gentoo and debian are all good for this).
>>
>>59855253
Stick to one of the Ubuntus till you feel save. Once you feel save, you'll know what distro is best for you automatically.
>>
>>59855225
Good software but it serves a different purpose than Photoshop.
>>
>>59855253
all distros run the same software
the only real differences are
>the package manager
>repos
>update policy
you can make all distros look the same
>>
>>59855271
the only acceptable watermark
>>
>>59855302
>>59855225
GIMPfag here, is there any reason for me to try Krita? How different is it?
>>
File: 1491319649942.png (80KB, 429x293px) Image search: [Google]
1491319649942.png
80KB, 429x293px
>>59853338
>>
File: 1475259226616.png (22KB, 1071x231px) Image search: [Google]
1475259226616.png
22KB, 1071x231px
>check the archives in order to find some RARE stallmans
>see this on the front page
lmao

post rare stallmans
>>
>>59853338
wew lad
>>
File: 1489612837193.jpg (119KB, 902x992px) Image search: [Google]
1489612837193.jpg
119KB, 902x992px
>>59855367
>>
>>59854048
Is this a new copypasta or something?
>>
>>59855379
this is the worst stallman I've ever seen
>>59855384
it's beard old https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Common_Trolls_and_Copypasta#The_case_in_favor_of_systemd
>>
why do people here say that libtorrent is bad?
>>
File: Grub-KDE-neon.jpg (383KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
Grub-KDE-neon.jpg
383KB, 4160x2340px
I installed the lts version of KDE Neon on my laptop because I don't need to upgrade too often.
The LTS grub is just a plain blue screen, I would like to have the nice pic related (taken from google). Can I just boot a live non-lts image and install grub with it? would it break if updated?
>>
File: 1384173850383.gif (3MB, 340x182px) Image search: [Google]
1384173850383.gif
3MB, 340x182px
>>59855367
<
>>
>>59853338
mods mods
>>
>>59855379
what is this green peppers meme
>>
File: 2017-04-12-11:27:06.png (238KB, 1026x793px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-12-11:27:06.png
238KB, 1026x793px
Stellarium is such an amazing program. Can't wait until it's dark so I can finally find out what the few shiny objects I can see in the sky are.
>>
File: 1290404963037.png (241KB, 592x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1290404963037.png
241KB, 592x1836px
>>59855500
>>
File: 1487293816308.png (121KB, 311x335px) Image search: [Google]
1487293816308.png
121KB, 311x335px
>>59855520
holy jej
>>
>>59855299
All of the Ubuntus feel safe but they vary in speed and ship with a ton of bloat. I don't like bloat.

How's Debian? I'm looking at the repository and I really need an updated version of an application, how much of a hassle would it be to get?
>>
>>59855552
Which programs does Ubuntu ship that you consider bloat?
>>
>>59855552

There is only 1 Ubuntu. Therefore the "Ubuntus" can't vary in speed. Only desktop environments can vary in speed, but even that is negligible on relatively modern hardware. Bloat is subjective. There is something called net-installers. Debian will have the same "bloat" for you, because it's the same packages.
>>
Does anyone know how to wget or curl images from 4chan and preserve the name, not save it with the timestamp?

for example in >>59852905
the filename is "installgen2.mp4-thimb.jpg"
but the linked file is http://i.4cdn.org/g/1491969543496.jpg
but with
wget
wget --trust-server-names
wget --content-disposition
curl -JLO
they all only download it with the name 1491969543496.jpg, not installgen2.mp4-thimb.jpg
the proper name is right there is the source code though
<a href="//i.4cdn.org/g/1491969543496.jpg" target="_blank">installgen2.mp4-thimb.jpg</a>
>>
>>59855637

Learn Bash (shell) scripting. They download it with the timestamp name because that IS the filename it links to.
>>
How can I bind Caps Lock as Alt Gr (Level 3 Super) on Linux Mint and make the binding persist through reboots.

At the moment I use "setxkbmap -option "lv3:caps_switch" " every boot.
>>
>>59855513
How does it work?
>>
>>59855794

It's just an interactive map of the sky that you can move around and zoom in.
>>
>>59855740
I'm writing a script now, It would be possible if 4chan put the original filename in the headers properly but sice they don't it seems scripting is the only option.
>>
>>59855813
The entire sky? Is it live or simply a toggle day/night?
>>
>>59855937

The entire sky from a selected point on Earth (maybe it works for viewpoints on other planets or stars too, didn't check yet).

You can of course set the daytime and date and toggle day/night views. It's "live" as in the planets and stars and artificial satellites move as they would in real life.
Just install it, it's like 100MB with dependencies.
>>
File: 1.webm (3MB, 1039x809px) Image search: [Google]
1.webm
3MB, 1039x809px
>>59855958
>>59855937

The best thing: it's free software licensed under the GPL.
>>
File: 2.webm (3MB, 1026x793px) Image search: [Google]
2.webm
3MB, 1026x793px
>>59856020
>>
>>59855958
>>59856020
Reloading DSO data...
Oculars::validateIniFile found existing ini file version 3.1
Satellite has invalid orbit: "PHONESAT 2.4" "39381"
Satellite has invalid orbit: "CADRE" "41475"
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): illegal value
Aborted (core dumped)
>>
My wifi connection keeps dropping out on arch.
>Using wifi-menu
>Using Edimax N150 - No drivers, just werks
>On different floor
The connection doesn't entirely stop, it just kind of becomes unusable and I have to reconnect
>>
>>59855637
install jq and read https://github.com/4chan/4chan-API
>>
Why is Linux Mint constantly breaking my google? Literally every other website works except for google. This shit pisses me off, just when I thought I found the OS for me.
>>
>>59856143
>on arch
>becomes unusable
That's normal.
>>
>>59856206
stop using linux mint and google
>>
File: 01-cat-wants-to-tell-you-laptop.jpg (205KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
01-cat-wants-to-tell-you-laptop.jpg
205KB, 2400x1600px
Which is your favorite UNIX command? Mine is cat.
>>
>>59856220
GNU*
>>
>>59856206
I liked my Linux Mint xfce but I totally will, what should I replace this shit with? Fucking Yahoo shills.
>>
>>59856229
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_%28Unix%29
>>
>>59856241
GNU coreutils 8.26               November 2016                          CAT(1)
>>
>>59856241
Are you running macOS?
>>
>>59856247
>>59856248
If cat is a GNU command, then Oops I Did It Again is a Children of Bodom song because they covered it once. Stop being silly. It originated as a UNIX utility, therefore it's a UNIX utility.
>>
>>59856248
macOS actually uses BSD cat, but well, it still isn't UNIX cat.
>>
>>59856229
apropos and grep
>>
>>59856260
It's a GNU utility, written by Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman.
>>
>>59856275
It was in UNIX V.
>>
>Linux
>UNIX
Stop omitting GNU already.

>>59856279
That's not the same cat program.
>>
>>59856264
lolwut, I didn't know that macs use bsd programs
so is mac basically bsd?
>>
>>59856275
Maybe the cat YOU are talking about is. How do you figure I didn't mean the UNIX version?
In any case, I was just making a joke, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>59852838
Rolling or long term? I just want to use for simple work on uni, does a rolling take too much effort to mantain? I was thinking about opensuse
>>
>>59856300
BSD is the wife, BSD developers the husbands, Apple the mandingo
>>
Oh dear, is this real.
>BUGS
> Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command >``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed!
https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/cat.1.html
>>
>>59856356
apple have horribly broken and outdated utils
>>
>>59856356
That's how it works, why is it a bug?
>>
>>59856356
>>59856437
$ echo "destroy" >> tmp1 && echo "keep" >> tmp2
$ cat tmp1
destroy
$ cat tmp2
keep
$ cat tmp1 tmp2 > tmp1
cat: tmp1: input file is output file
$ cat tmp1
keep
$ cat tmp2
keep

Not just Macfags.

>>59856446
>it's not a bug it's a feature
>>
LLVM 4.0 is in the Arch Linux staging repository which according to pacman doesn't exist. What do?
>>
Is nvidia optimus as bad as people say? Will my battery life be bad with it? Apparently you can pick a GPU in nvidia-config, and then log out to switch for the whole session instead of running with optirun- does that power off the nvidia GPU?
>>
>>59856437
Are Mac coreutils GNU¿ I haven't used a Mac for years but I remember cat, mv cp rm etc all being functionally identical
>>
>>59856768
Bash is based on the GNU Bash, as was the GCC that OS X used to ship, although both were heavily modified. Some stuff was BSD Userland, like cat I believe.
>>
Can someone explain me why the fuck Debian's systemd units for Postgres or OpenVPN run /bin/true instead of a actual commands?
>>
>>59856791
Apple's version of bash is outdated and barely usable, that's why so many macfags use zsh.
>>
hey, /g/.
my PC has three hard drives:
1x SSD with 300 gb
2x drives with 1 TB each.

i want to install and dual boot both windows and debian on the same SSD and use the two large drives for common storage for both the OSs.
does it matter which file system i format the big hard drives with? one is already NTFS and the other isn't formatted yet.
can i set NTFS on both of them and not have any issues with the OSs, or do i need to use a different file system?
>>
>>59856808
To be fair, bash in general is outdated and barely usable. How many people do you usually see using bash on GNU/Linux?
>>
>>59856814
FAT
>>
>>59856814
NTFS is not really suitable for gnu plus linux because it doesn't have a proper permission system that Linux needs. It's unusable for a system drive, but probably usable for data. That said, you can read and write to NTFS in Linux (pretty reliably. I've never had problems.) I'd do one NTFS and one as a Linux fs (ext4 is probably best). Ext4 is the most usable Linux fs for windows, as it can be read, but you can't write to it from windows and it requires special software. make sure you disable all the windows "fast boot" and hibernation stuff, which makes the NTFS stuff unreadable in Linux. Ignore >>59856846, FAT is unusable.
>>
>>59856839
Fake news
>bash is the default on almost every distro, even distros like arch and gentoo
>bash has good completion, and is customisable enough for people who aren't mega autists
>because bash has more users you can use the huge number of scripts with bashisms
>>
>>59857157
>huge number of scripts with bashisms
Pretty much every shell has a bash compatibility mode.
>default on almost every distro
Ubuntu and Debian use a slightly better replacement and Arch recommends using zsh, it just ships with bash in case you're installing it on a literal toaster.
>good completion
File completion and literally nothing else.
>>
>>59857179
what completion do you need other than file completion? that said, it works with arch packages and AUR packages.
>>
>>59857179
>Arch recommends using zsh
Where? I've never seen that. Just because their installer uses it, it doesn't mean that they recommend it.
>File completion and literally nothing else.
Install the bash-completion package from your package manager, idiot.
>>
what is some commonly used GNU/Linux software that sucks and has a good suckless replacement? like the lolcat thing earlier in this thread. pls no systemd/editor/distro etc wars
>>
apologies if it's a dumb question, im new to gnu/linux.
I get this infuriating beeping, with several different causes. It happens if I press delete on an empty terminal, when I try to use tab completion, and when I look for something with control+f in firefox and it isn't on the page.
>>
>>59852926
you're a meme
>>
>>59857296
I just realised that the installer uses it, and it isn't even installed by default. why is that?
>>
>>59856260
>It originated as a UNIX utility, therefore it's a UNIX utility.
the 'cat' in UNIX is a UNIX utility, as it's a utility that shipped with UNIX
but the 'cat' you see in (GNU/)Linux, is the one that GNU wrote, making this version a GNU ulility
>>
>>59857296
>Where? I've never seen that
General recommendations. It's there for a reason.
>>59857397
>isn't even installed by default
>>59857179
>in case you're installing it on a literal toaster
Some ZSH package completions lag on my FX6300, I'd probably die of old age trying to do completion on a P4 or something like that.
>>
>>59856114

Which distribution? Must be a shitty packaging job.
>>
>>59857179

>Arch recommends using zsh,
[citation needed]
>>
>>59857466

>General recommendations. It's there for a reason.

>Alternative shells
>Bash is the shell that is installed by default in an Arch system. The live installation media, however, uses zsh
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/general_recommendations

I am willing to be 1000$ that you don't even utilize 10% of Bash capabilities. Idiot.
>>
>>59857466
>General recommendations. It's there for a reason.
And you're just going to ignore the part under it about using bash?
>>
>>59857517
Fedora 24
>>
>>59853338

nice
>>
>>59857339
that's normal. it's called the 'system bell'. it's basically an alert, usually that you're trying to do something you aren't meant to do.

pretty sure you can turn it off by muting pc speaker in your audio mixer
>>
Give me a reason to keep my Windows 10 dual boot. I hate Windows but I feel like I'll need it eventually. All of my university's oop programming classes are in C#, will this be an issue?
>>
>>59857743
>>59857339

If it doesn't work, blacklist the pcspkr module.
>>
>>59857746
You can run C# on Linux with mono I think. Or you could use a VM. I still have W10 on another partition even though I haven't touched it for 6 months. Unless you need space, I'd say keep it for now.
>>
>>59857746
Monodevelop is fucky about some C# stuff like WinForms and WPF. That's about it, unless you use a lot of DX10/11 things.
>>
how do i get video file bit rate with ffmpeg/ffprobe?
I need just number of bitrate
>>
>>59857879
% ffprobe -v error -show_entries format=bit_rate -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 Rogue\ One\ \(Bluray-1080p\).mkv
>>
>>59857924
tnx
>>
>>59857861
Welp I'm just about to start a course called "Programming graphical applications" that seems to be all about WinForms, rip.
>>
>>59854026
I unironically went back to Windows 10 after 5 years using Linux for work when I realized systemd was the same kind of shit infesting the FOSS world.

Fuck you NSA and your need to backdoor everything, you win.
>>
>>59858436
GNU/systemd*
>>
>>59854050
Nice cointelpro copypasta mate
>>
>>59854198
Is this how pottetering writes when he thinks he's anonymous?
>>
New thread:
>>59858558
>>59858558
>>59858558
>>
>wangblows nuked my drives
>grub rescue
>3 commands work
>cmdpath set to (hd0) which isn't reading
>everything's empty/unreadable except (hd0,1)
>only /lost+found/
>which is empty

ebin
>>
>>59857746
>>59857807
>>59857861
.NET is now fully open source and cross platform. Mono is no longer needed.
>>
>>59852915
you can use arch-anywhere ;)
>>
>wrote shell function to reverse an audio file
Nice, now to practice speaking backwards.
>>
>>59852915
Sure. It might make you a bit lazy due to how good the wiki is, and how convenient the AUR is, but god damn it's a comfy distro. If you've got some spare time, also check out NixOS and OpenBSD, maybe in a VM or something.
>>
>>59853378
do you realize where you are
>>
>>59853688
Use apt.

apt install

apt update

apt dist-upgrade

apt search

apt remove

is basically all you need to know
>>
>>59853988
For one, apt's auto-remove meme isn't present elsewhere. It often catches things you don't actually want gone, like your gtk theme or icon theme. It's also slower than the competition, but this isn't a huge deal. Aside from that, I guess the next biggest thing is the information output. It puts a lot of filler text in your terminal, while pacman will show the package name cleanly as well as a progress bar next to it.
>>
>>59854479
I believe that uses your normal icon theme. Just change your icons.
>>
>>59854667
this
>>
>>59855324
more drawing-focused
>>
>>59856238
Are you using Firefox? Their default is actually yahoo. Just go into preferences and remove Yahoo and set a different default.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.