[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 53

File: 1485357095661.png (278KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485357095661.png
278KB, 600x600px
Previous thread: >>58648228

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
http://ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
http://www.dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
http://pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
http://pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1
>>
File: thiccpad.jpg (21KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
thiccpad.jpg
21KB, 600x450px
>>
File: x230.jpg (761KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
x230.jpg
761KB, 1200x900px
i actually miss the backlighting
>>
>>58675962
Thinklight is way better. The backlit keyboards have this kinda shiny surface that gets sticky after a few hours of use.
>>
File: 1483158320231.png (595KB, 718x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1483158320231.png
595KB, 718x1236px
>>58675758
So, whats the general consensus on the latest lineup of Thinkpads?
>>
>>58676032
yeah thats true the old keyboard was shiny and greasy as fuck....
>>
>>58676033
I guess they're still the de facto standard for business laptops but they are certainly worse than the old Thinkpads in every aspect except performance. If they re introduce a 7 row keyboard with volume buttons and the browser navigation keys, I'm in again. The build quality isn't comparable to IBM but you gotta use what you get I guess.
>>
>>58676093
I forgot to mention, the screens are way better too.
>>
File: 1484100506111.jpg (90KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484100506111.jpg
90KB, 600x900px
What's normal behavior for USB ports on T420?
>Not connected to AC
ON / all ports have current.
OFF/ No port have current even the powered USB

>Connected to AC
ON / all ports have current.
OFF/ No port have current even the powered USB

Is this normal?
>>
>>58676043
Though I don't understand why they did that. I mean, the keys aren't translucent so why make the surface different fom the non backlit keyboard?

>>58676111
You should be able to set that right in the BIOS.
>>
>>58676129
>BIOS
Only BIOS?
Should I look for powered USB/ ALWAYS ON USB entry?
>>
>>58676146
I don't know. I'm gonna look it up myself now. I haven't used the always on USB on my X220 but there has to be some possibility to set it up from BIOS. This can't possibly be OS controlled.
>>
>>58676146
Found it. Pretty easy. It's in Config->USB
>>
>>58675962

Is there a certain keyboard model you used? Heard they vary in terms of matte(ness) depending on model number.
>>
>>58676184
This will effect all USB ports? or just the yellow one?
>>
>>58676201
This is just about the always on port
>>
>>58676210
So just the yellow one then?
Why was it disabled in the first place?
Default? Bad for battery?
>>
>>58676234
Yep, The yellow one. I don't know why it was turned off. I guess you bought the machine used, so I suppose the previous owner turned it off. It isn't particularly bad for the battery. It's not gonna drain any battery life as long as nothing is connected to the always on port.
>>
>>58676257
Thanks.
I always find myself in the middle of nowhere with no electricity to charge my phone/tablet.
And turning on the laptop just to charge a phone is wasted electricity.
>>
>>58676281
It won't charge then.
The always on feature work only when connected to AC power supply.
>>
I want to marry my ThinkPad!
>>
>>58676321
AC should mean all the USB ports produce power as far as I know. It's when the laptop is suspended/asleep that the yellow port will still produce power, assuming it's configured to.
>>
>>58676588
>when the laptop is suspended/asleep
What if it's turned off?
>>
>>58676033
Not too happy with some of the design decisions they've made but I guess that is the future if I want to stay on the ThinkRide. Currently looking at X250, X260 and T460s as the future upgrade in 2018-2019.
>>
>>58664469
Anyone got an answer to this?
>>
>>58676912
Who told the guy he needs a new lid? The screen is exchangable. I don't know the exact model number though
>>
>>58676935
The only way I could find a new screen for a decent price was to buy a new lid.
>>
>>58676604
Not possible as far as I know. The BIOS settings should explicitly say when and for which ports it will work though, so that'll be a more conclusive answer.

>>58676912
Searching for the same model as your broken screen, or at least anything advertised as a T410 screen is your best bet, but if you really can't find anything then a full replacement assembly is probably going to be the next best option unless you're game to experiment with similar panels. If the price of the entire lid isn't that cheap though I'd almost consider getting a whole new T410 given the prices I'm seeing on ebay for the panels.
>>
>>58675962

>Windows 10 on a ThinkPad
>BLASPHEMER
>YOU DISGUST ME
>>
>>58676998
T410 lids hover around 30 dollars per, while just the screens are about 50 dollars per.
So not just any 14.1in screen will work?
>>
>>58677078
>T410 lids hover around 30 dollars per, while just the screens are about 50 dollars per.
That's much cheaper than I expected, my local options are pretty much non-existent. Might as well grab the lid then, it'll make changing the screen much easier anyway. Though I'd want to be pretty sure that they do actually come with a panel.

>So not just any 14.1in screen will work?
No idea, I'm not aware of anyone trying. At those prices it wouldn't be worth it anyway, I just got the impression that you were desperate enough to look for alternatives. Though now I think of it I'm not even sure whether or not a HD+ cable is needed for the HD+ screen like with the T420.
>>
>>58677200
Alrite, thanks for the info. I thought it kind of wasteful to buy an entire lid if I'm only gonna tear the screen out of it.
>>
File: ibm-thinkpad-750c.jpg (62KB, 645x512px) Image search: [Google]
ibm-thinkpad-750c.jpg
62KB, 645x512px
Just bought a T510 which has Windows 7 Ultimate on it (the OS I want to use), is there any way I can reinstall a fresh version of Windows 7 just so I can get rid of all the previous users bullshit?

I'd just throw a pirate version on but I'm afraid it would fuck up stuff like the TrackPoint and the volume buttons and shit as they rely on proprietary Lenovo drivers to my knowledge. I tried spamming F11 on startup but it won't do anything.

The system isn't for me so Linux isn't an option.
>>
oh god I just poked myself in the nuts by accident
it hurts so fucking bad
>>
>>58677554
if it's got it pre intalled it has a license. is there a license sticker on the bottom of the laptop? if not, you've been ripped off. also a pirate windows wouldn't screw anything up if you just install the drivers
>>
>>58677566
Ye it has the Lenovo sticker on the base and a Windows sticker under the battery.

How do I actually reinstall Windows though, Google just spits out a bunch of info for newer Thinkpads, sends to you broken links or just says 'dude use Windows 10 xdd'.
>>
>>58677590
you just download a windows iso and burn it to dvd and install (you could also use a usb stick but I never got that to work for windows 7 for some reason).

also, on a thinkpad you don't press F11 for BIOS or temporary boot device selection.
you press thinkvantage for selection and then F1 for bios or F12 for boot device selection.
>>
>>58677554
>>58677566
There's applications you can download to find the license key embedded in windows if you can't find it on the case.
>>
>>58677649
true but if there was no license sticker it would still be a ripoff because the license wasn't officialy sold to the buyer
>>
>>58677644
>(you could also use a usb stick but I never got that to work for windows 7 for some reason).
iirc there's issues with USB3 support for installing certain versions of windows, if that's the case then simply booting through a USB2 port would fix it.
>>
>>58677033
>authism detected right here
Dual boot m8 ? Ever heard of it
>>
>>58677566
>>58677644
>>58677654
>>58677649
I went on the Windows site put in my serial number to get the Windows 7 ISO, it says 'The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.'

Fucking Microshit, what do I do now? I can see in CMD that the OS has been installed recently so the previous owner must have wiped it before selling it, no CD in the box though.
>>
File: hw.jpg (767KB, 1600x1100px) Image search: [Google]
hw.jpg
767KB, 1600x1100px
Does anyone have an idea what could I put inside my laptop where smartcard reader used to be ? I have a T450 without the smart card and i recon I wouldn't use it ever in my life, it's just going to stay empty, so could I put something better in that hole ? Has anyone done it before ?

It's pretty big hole
>>
Does anyone know where I can get a decent backlit keyboard that will work in the x230T? The ones on Amazon have really poor reviews.
>>
Hey /g/

I've got a Thinkpad T430 with Linux Mint 18.1 on and I was wondering if there is anything I should install with regards to power management of the battery.

I'm getting about 3 hours out, but when I boot into windows 8.1 I get around 5 hours.

>This is probably not a background thread.
>>
>>58677719
you don't download from microsoft.

http://pcriver.com/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-iso-download/

I just googled Windows 7 Ultimate ISO and that was the 3rd entry. It's not that hard.

>>58677711
I know but even with USB2 the installer never gets past 10% before bluescreen. Doesn't matter though, I don't use Windows anymore.
>>
File: skookum.jpg (384KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
skookum.jpg
384KB, 1920x1080px
>charging jack has loose connection (better fix it before it gets any worse or stops working entirely one day)
>decide to pop the hood to see if it'll be an easy fix
>loosen screws on bottom (being a refurb unit, they weren't lock-tighted and came right off without scratching the screwheads)
>lid comes off without any persuasion
>everything cleanly layed out easily serviceable (pic related)
>power jack and dock connector reinforced with metal bracket
>literally every part that could fail is easily replaceable
feels good man
>>
>>58677815
TLP is the definitive solution for power management on laptops. It can do everything the Lenovo power management center can do.
But it doesn't have any GUI that I would know of so you should be familiar with the terminal and config files.
>>
>>58677826
oh wow, that image didn't look how i thought. thanks gimp.
>>
T420s vs 9470m?
I dont consider other because i want something slim and portable (w 14 inch)

also, is it possible to install 3g module in 9470m?
>>
>>58677848
use png next tiem
>>
>>58677815
Just use TLP and powertop
>>
>>58677857
forgot jpg doesn't have transparency (didn't get much sleep)
>>
>>58677818
Sorry I've never had a version of Windows that wasn't either preinstalled or pirated. So I can just put that ISO on a USB put in my serial and I'll be good? Will it install the OEM version since it the serial I have is a "Lenovo" one?
>>
>>58677931
You can't just put it on a USB stick. You need to make the USB stick bootable. For that the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool is well suited. This can also download the ISO if you haven't done that already (forgot that this tool exists when I posted the link, sorry).

The OEM version could potentially be a problem here. I'm not sure. It is possible that you can't activate a version of Windows that's not Lenovo branded with the key you have. If that's the case, just google around for a working key. They're pretty easy to find nowadays and to be honest, nobody at Microsoft cares about piracy. After that you install .net Framework and Lenovo System Update (the driver downloader) and you should be ready to go.
>>
>>58678023
>>58677931
Use USB2, as >>58677711 mentioned. USB3 won't work for Windows 7.
>>
>>58677931
Download Windows 7 iso from tpb. Look up "windows 7 oem", preferably unactivated since you have a w7 key on the bottom of your laptop. You won't even have to type it in though.

Use rufus to copy the iso to a USB drive. Very easy to use -- just make sure you select the right drive, the right iso, then click burn. Boot the tp, press thinkvantage, select temp boot device, and you're gone.
>>
>>58677931
An alternative to downloading would be to contact the seller and ask for an installation medium. If you purchase a machine with Windows pre installed it should also come with an isntallation DVD.
>>
>>58678023
Ye I meant on a bootable drive.

I might just put the new Windows on a separate partition just in case it fucks up, dual boot two Windows 7's. Guess if it doesn't work I'll just use a pirate version anyway, who cares, just figured I'd use the genuine version if I can since I already have it.
>>
>>58678098
It doesn't really matter. The Lenovo software can't detect a pirated version anyways. I have used pirated Windows 7 on my T400 for years because it came with an XP key instead of anything newer.
>>
>>58678098
Um, no. Just put Windows 7 on one partition, then use a restore point. It will serve the same purpose.

Better yet, back up to a separate hard drive every week.
>>
>>58678142
Sounds like more work desu.
>>
>>58678179
Installing 2 partitions, drivers etc = a lot of work
Installing 1 partition, drivers, restore point = half the amount of work

Backing up = no effort, literally one click of a fucking button with a hdd attached. If that's "work," go back to /v/
>>
>>58678221
Windows is already installed, to my knowledge all I need to do is:

>insert USB
>tell it to make new partition
>install to that partition
if it works, ez, delete the old install
>if it doesn't, ez, delete new install
ez pz
>>
>>58678242
Reducing the system partition is not a good idea though. It's likely to damage it.
>>
>>58678438
hmm...
>>
The Yoga 12 blows the shit out of an x230t, and for not much more than you'd spend upgrading an old system. The x230 does not have the legacy keyboard that the x220 does, and the IPS screen is decent at best compared to modern screens. I literally don't see why you would carry an old piece that you have to buy shit batteries for that is already outdated when you can have this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Yoga-12-i3-5005U-2-0GHz-FHD-4GB-240GB-SSD-500G-HDD-Stylus-/232189294580?hash=item360f8f77f4:g:BY4AAOSwo4pYZG-9

Honestly. Just got an x230t and I am upset that I was memed into the Stone Age, and out ~$380 for a POS "tablet." the ThinkPad Yoga 12 will be the next "best buy" for /tpg/
>>
File: 1485141069813.gif (63KB, 504x607px) Image search: [Google]
1485141069813.gif
63KB, 504x607px
>>58678916
Woah there buddy, get that red pill out of your mouth.
>>
>>58678916
let's see...
legacy keyboard can be installed,
metal rollcage,
enough power for every task it was designed for, no matter what you say.
available for $200 in good condition,
battery easily and cheaply exchangable (why do you even call them shit batteries, they're the best in every aspect)
pretty much every part is interchangable and with the excellent linux support you can keep a thinkpad alive way longer than any other laptop including the yoga machines.

seriously, build quality has decreased extremely since lenovo has taken over while performance hasn't increased all that much except maybe in graphics and face it, you're never gonna game on a machine like this anyways. all you get when buying a newish yoga model is an OK laptop with a touchscreen and flimsy hinges that are definitiely gonna break down on you within 3 years. yogas are consumer grade, even if lenovo doesn't want to admit it. keep that in mind.
>>
>>58678982
kek.
the red pill would actually lead to the sudden insight, that a 5 year old laptop is all you need for everyday computing and that the hardware and software industries have still managed to make you buy new stuff just to "keep up"
>>
>>58679056
>available for $200 in good condition,
+SSD, +RAM, +keyboard, +battery, etc
Nobody I know doesn't at least install an SSD. Most 2011-2012 Thinkpads on eBay at that price point have ~fair-to-good batteries, if they include them at all.

>they're the best in every aspect
Are we not considering battery life to be important?

>Linux support, so you can keep a thinkpad alive way longer than any other laptop
Linux support is not what keeps laptops alive for the overwhelming majority of users. Not many employed people outside of specific industries solely use Linux

>The rest of your post.
Battery life, screen resolution, and not having to replace parts in the first place are what is going to matter to most people looking for a computer for work or school. x230t battery life can be dismal, especially if you are taking the chance that the battery you get with a ~$200 x230 on eBay is going to last a while at good condition.

The Thinkpad Yoga 12 has a brighter display with better color reproduction and the build quality is actually excellent. You're really not missing anything by spending the extra $100 to get better audio, better display, and usually an SSD already in there. We would have hated the x230 years ago, because of "Lelnovo's not building them like they used to! It's not gonna last three years!"

You would have to be a dirty memester to not to call the Yoga 12 the better buy at $400 than an x230 at $200, not only because of the performance, but also because the x230s ran through resellers can come with some worn out or beat up shit that you're going to replace anyway. "Yea, but I can replace them down the road just to make the machine function!" is poorfag logic. The Yoga 12 is not the underdog, but the x230 doesn't a great enough argument -not- to consider the newer Thinkpad. My use of the Yoga 12 has really shown me what I've been missing in the x230.
>>
>>58678916
>>58679399
you are going to make a lot of neckbeards very angry by suggesting practical equipment
>>
I rekt my T420 motherboard. I'm looking to replace it but I found that there are different models. Mine is 04W2045, it seems that i cant find this specific model in my country. Anyone knows the difference between this 04W2045 and 63Y1967 and so on.?
Would it be a problem to install a motherboard with a different FRU model?
>>
Okay
>>
How do I get better at using the trackpoint?
Got my Thinkpad 2 weeks ago and deactivated the touchpad, but I can't seem to get good at using the trackpoint and think about going back to using the touchpad
>>
>>58679708

Keep hands near home row, use index finger to move trackpoint, use thumb to hit LMR. If you don't grasp this after 15min, you might be autistic.
>>
>>58679399
holy fuck. never seen anyone trying to justify his shitty purchase so hard
>>
File: retardationconfirmed.png (179KB, 529x251px) Image search: [Google]
retardationconfirmed.png
179KB, 529x251px
>>58680009
What do you think we're all here for? Run along now.
>>
x1 carbon?
>>
>>58680642
X1 Carbon.
>>
Is there a cleaning spray with a "like new" smell?
I bought my Thinkpad a month ago and it had that "like new" smell which I loved, but it's gone now
>>
File: 1479887747511.jpg (108KB, 1280x842px) Image search: [Google]
1479887747511.jpg
108KB, 1280x842px
How the fuck do I move (((Windows 7))) from an HDD to and SSD? I got my used Thinkpad x230 in the mail, already had my SSD and ram from Amazon, and was ready to get going on this meme machine.

That was yesterday. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get this SSD to boot. What I've tried:

Using the Windows tool to create an image of the HDD on the SSD
>would not boot
Making a USB bootable Windows System Recovery disc to "recover" the image on the SSD
>Could not find image
Making a USB bootable Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery disc to "recover" the image on the SSD
>could not find image
Using Parted Magic to clone the HDD to the SSD
>SSD too small
A whole bunch of other shit and I'm at my wit's end.

I understand that I've got a 256gb SSD and a 500gb HDD, but I don't see why I can't just fucking put Windows on the fucking SSD. What the fuck? There has to be a way to get this motherfucking operating system onto an SSD.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck these guys. I've done this on Mac machines and Linux machines and it's so fucking simple, and for some fucking reason I can't get this shit to boot. It is seriously fucking absurd.

Thank you for your time.
>>
>>58681141
Put windows 7 on flash drive
Put blank ssd into thinkpad
Turn on thinkpad with usb in thinkpad
press f12(?)
boot from usb
install on to ssd
>>
>>58681349
>Put windows 7 on flash drive
How do I do this if I don't have the disk?
>>
>>58681398
thepiratebay.se
>>
>>58681451
It comes down to this though? Really Microsoft? I can't fucking migrate my shit to a new hard drive and have it boot? I thought that back when it was Windows 7 they were "ourguy."

I absolutely cannot believe it. I gave myself under an hour to have all that shit done and it's 24 hours later and I've been jerking the licensing wang and Lenovo is hitting it from the other side.

This whole thing isn't actually fun, is it?
>>
>>58681527
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

try this and use the product key under the battery
>>
>>58681527
no, you just reduce the partition size of the HDD from within windows and then clone it to the SSD.
>>
>>58681560
Been like this for about 2 hours.
>>
>>58681141
>>58681527
>>58681691

>anon spends gbp Thinkpad
>anon instantly cucked by Lelnovo or Micro$oft
>anon spends days writhing in anger
>Thinkpad eventually breaks anon's will to live
>anon khs

Many such cases!
>>
>>58681691

try what this anon said
>>58681584
>>
>>58681691
It would be easier to buy Windows 10 desu senpai
>>
Whats the best source for ThinkPad drivers for Windows? The Lenovo site is a mess.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1600x901px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1600x901px
So I'm the guy who got the x220t for $70. Ended up coming with a battery (Unknown health as of yet.) and stylus and so far everything works. Even has Windows 7 installed and working fine.

But it's missing those two plastic pieces that stick up and into the monitor's frame when closed to hold the monitor in position. Might not be too important, but can I buy them anywhere?
>>
>>58682331
Nope, you gotta buy a whole new system.
>>
>>58682353
fuck off
>>58682353
you'll probably have to find a lower chassis part
dunno the name
>>
I have a question. Can the TrackPoint middle button be removed?
>>
Is overclocking the 1080p display on my ThinkPad a bad idea? It seems to work just fine at 75Hz but I'm not sure if it's damaging it. My desk monitor is only meant to run at 60Hz but I run it at 110Hz for years and it's been fine.

Obviously I realise how pointless this is.
>>
>>58682585
Yes. "Giddy" over at /arg/ on /k/ has done this well with a Dremel. He made a guide but I didn't save it.

Reminder: This was posted on /k/ and not /g/.
>>
File: t3_5n4o9t.jpg (69KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5n4o9t.jpg
69KB, 640x640px
got a refurbished business X230 tablet in really good shape with an i7, 4GB of RAM, and 180GB SSD for only $300

Did I do good /g/?
>>
You can fit the 1080p display from a W520 into the T510 right? Or do you need at least a Sandy Bridge era thinkpad to fit that display?
>>
>>58683001
USD?
>>
>>58677858
i had both tlp and power top installed on ubuntu mate and still got significantly worse battery life than in windows...
>>
>>58682743
I've had displays that flicker when you overclock like that. Just compare how it looks while watching through camera or something.
>>
>>58683001
If you're cool with a 180gb SSD (the original ones aren't as fast as the one's you would replace them with now) it's okay. If you're going to put an SSD in then I'd say you fell for a meme, but have fun either way.
>>
File: fuuuuu.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
fuuuuu.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
>>58682585
Well... I just broke the TrackPoint middle butoon
>>
Tryna snipe a T440p on FleaBay right now.

Some dude sold his with a 9-cell battery, i7 4600M, Geforce 730M, 256GB SSD and 8GB of ram for $247. Missed the final minutes of the auction because I was outside working on my car.

Throw a 1080p IPS panel and T450 trackpad in that bitch and have a fuckin powerhorse for $320. I'd be down as fuck.
>>
>>58683705
keyboards are cheap as fuck dog
>>
Has anybody successfully upgraded the shit screen t430 to a higher res screen?
>>
Are the i7 dual cores really that much better than an i5?
>>
>>58683827
For just a light load, which is almost always going to be the case, you likely won't be able to tell the difference, though it's still going to be worth grabbing an i7 where practical price-wise. If you actually have a proper need for the performance then you might as well just get a W series.
>>
>>58684002
Bro but there are SMT exploits due to cache writing. Why even have a computer if it can be hacked bro
>>
>>58684017
Is this real?
>>
>>58683827
From Thinkpad forums:

this link compares the i7-3520M, i5-3360M, i5-3320M, and i5-3210M:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/64893,64895,64896,67355

if graphics are your focus then any of the top three will be fine. the i7 offers a 4% faster GPU clock speed (1250MHz vs 1200MHz) and isn't likely to translate into a noticeable gain.

the best overall value will be the i5-3320M. it's the least expensive CPU that offers every feature available at a fraction of the i7's cost and 92~96% of its performance.

So yea. Don't spend an extra $100 or more for an i7 to get +4% performace.
>>
File: 1485564766284.jpg (122KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485564766284.jpg
122KB, 1200x900px
Is that a thinkpad?
>>
File: Untitled.png (100KB, 1248x522px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
100KB, 1248x522px
I know this isn't a thinkpad but i might aswell ask here.

I have a old ASUS EEPC1001 that works great for what i do, really comfortable keyboard and weights about 1Kg.
Sadly the HDD got damaged, im looking to get a SSD for it.

Would an ADATA SP550 work good enough for it or should i get something better?
Im looking for a cheap SSD, i only use this laptop for office and light web browsing anyway.

>Buy a new one
The only reason i still use this is because it weights less than 1Kg.

>850 EVO
Too expensive.

>1GB RAM
I have lots of 4GB sticks around but this laptop doesn't support 4GB, it wont boot.
So i need to buy a 2GB one which isn't a priority for now.
>>
>>58684603
>Would an ADATA SP550 work good enough for it or should i get something better?
I wouldn't expect too much in terms of reliability out of that SSD, at least going off reviews on Amazon and what I've heard of ADATA in the past. Performance wise I doubt you'll do much better though, the computer itself is probably going to a limiting factor to some degree. I'd only worry about power efficiency, and whether you're likely to re-use the SSD down the line.

It'll be a worthwhile upgrade though, netbooks are pretty comfy with an SSD.
>>
>>58684493
A ThinkPad for a man that doesn't think.
>>
>>58684778
>hillshill still mad as fuck
>>
>>58675758
Why would anyone want to buy a malware infested chinkpad?
>>
My T420 has been heating up and chugging when doing just normal bullshit internet stuff. It's had some issues with stuff like art or twitch streams before, but it's gotten to the point where just using it normally gets it bogged down and hot to the touch.

Can I just open it up and clean out the fan? Should I look into redoing the thermal paste? Any recommended guides for this stuff?
>>
>>58682331
You can't get replacements for just the nubs, since they come as part of the lower bezel thing. The one I own is missing one of them, turns out they were pretty fragile.
>>
>get a T410
>BIOS is locked with supervisor password
fucking hell
>>
>>58684748
Amazon reviews are usually inaccurate.

If i ever move from it because motherboard dies or something i will move it to a thinkpad x200.
I dont see myself moving it to a desktop.

Why power efficiency? SSDs use way less energy than SSDs, specially a 6 year old one.
>>
>>58684934
yes, clean out the dust and if it still overheats then strip it down and replace paste
>>
>>58684974
>Amazon reviews are usually inaccurate.
Well, it's not like reliability is easy to measure in any regard. Though even if it is an unreliable SSD it shouldn't matter so much in your case.

>Why power efficiency? SSDs use way less energy than SSDs, specially a 6 year old one.
It's a netbook, you're relying on low power consumption over higher battery capacity compared to other laptops, so it might still make a difference if you want your battery life.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10131/the-adata-premier-sp550-ssd-review/9
Not like it's a huge difference though, but at least that drive is alright for power use. It's just a while since I last shopped for SSDs myself and supporting low power states well wasn't guaranteed a few years back.
>>
File: fuck year.jpg (373KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
fuck year.jpg
373KB, 1600x900px
update

just finished cpu upgrade on t430 from i5 3320m to i7 3630qm with kryonaut thermal grizzly. idle went from 33c to 31c. load temps went from 90c to 101c

pic related
>>
>>58685246
>101°C
I know laptop QM CPUs are hot as hell but really?
How doesn't that activate the thermal shutdown?
>>
>>58685235
Well it will use less energy than the current HDD anyway so its not a big problem.

I would have gone for a recent HDD but i dont wanna spend a lot of money on it.

I might aswell buy a new laptop instead since i have to buy a charger and a new battery too.
>>
>>58685342
thermal shutdown is at 105c
>>
>no new beefy, performance-focused thinkpad with a dgpu
why tho
>>
File: final.jpg (432KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
final.jpg
432KB, 1600x900px
update

upon further testing, at 101c with full x32 multiplier turbo mode, the heatsink cannot handle the 40.2w load. throttling kicks in and fluctuates between 2.7 and 3.2ghz. will keep it at x30 multiplier
>>
>>58686046
oh and theres no point of paying the $145 for 3610qm. the 3630qm was $83.75 which still topped out at 2.9ghz at 34.9w
>>
>>58685489
Because nu-males only want thin laptops with thin performance to match. Face it, the workstation laptop is truly dead. Time to get a shitty gayming focused machine.
>>
>>58684934
>>58684992
Went out and got some compressed air and blew three years of dust out of the laptop. The fan is venting hot air better now, so hopefully that was all it needed.

I accidentally breathed in a big cloud of dust though and I may now have throat cancer or something, rip
>>
Whats the difference between these thinkpads and a regular laptop?
>>
>>58686338
Durability, better keyboard, reliability.

The fact people still use 5-8 years old laptops should give you a idea how good they are.

They are old business laptops.

Most recent laptops at the same price are shitty and just as powerful but made with really weak materials and shit everything because they aim for low price and low energy use instead quality and power.
>>
>>58686360
Do they still make new ones with modern hardware?
>>
>>58686614
yes but they are not that good
>>
>>58686338
support network is the most significant difference imo

no other laptop brand has a fanbase like the thinkpad cult

you don't see bios mods, insane mod jobs, or goddamn custom motherboards for anything else out there

thinkpad autists know their shit and are usually happy to share
>>
>>58686614
No since Lenovo started to make them.

There are way better options for the same price for the recent ones.

See Dell Business laptops for example.
>>
>>58675758
What's the best thinkpad with an ultra bay?
>>
>>58686885
>ultra bay
holy shit you mean I can run 2 separate drives in my laptop without having to partition one?
>>
File: 1396119422680.jpg (2MB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1396119422680.jpg
2MB, 2448x1836px
>>58686954
im going to assume yes since no one is answering. this will be perfect since I needed to fit loads more storage on my W520. Now it can become the workstation I truly need it to be. ThinkPads truly are beasts.
>>
>>58686954
Yes

t. W520 owner
>>
>>58686885
3 if your thinkpad supports mSATA.
>>
Anyone know a good seller for x220 batteries?
>>
>>58686360
You are missing the point. They are cheap.

The anon suggesting the Yoga 12 is on to something. Even the best displays that came on 5-8 year old thinkpads are poor by today's standards. Yoga has a bad name because of the ideapads. The thinkpad yoga was built well though. Used them for years.
>>
File: 20170127_170756-1664x1248.jpg (378KB, 1664x1248px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_170756-1664x1248.jpg
378KB, 1664x1248px
What have I become...
>>
File: 20170127_170915-1664x1248.jpg (336KB, 1664x1248px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_170915-1664x1248.jpg
336KB, 1664x1248px
>>58687361
...my sweetest friend
>>
File: 20170127_171721-1248x1664.jpg (306KB, 1248x1664px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_171721-1248x1664.jpg
306KB, 1248x1664px
>>58687368
Everyone I love
>>
>>58687361
what's a good place to get stickers?
>>
File: 20170127_172510-1664x1248.jpg (468KB, 1664x1248px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_172510-1664x1248.jpg
468KB, 1664x1248px
>>58687374
...goes away...
>>
>>58687377
What'd you use to clean the top?
>>
File: 20170127_181623-1664x1248.jpg (215KB, 1664x1248px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_181623-1664x1248.jpg
215KB, 1664x1248px
>>58687377
...in the end

>>58687376
Stickermule, eBay, AliExpress

>>58687391
Goo gone. I scraped it with a metal spatula though and gouged the hell out of it.
>>
>two working x230 for $99 (boots to bios)
>one has a core i7
>one has battery
>one broken hinge, $5 to replace

did i do ok ?
>>
>>58687743

If they actually work, yes
>>
>>58687743
>X230
Still old as shit
>>
>>58687761
Seller claims they boot to bios fine,
if it doesn't eBay buyer protection has me covered.
>>
>>58687765
>not realizing the motherboards themselves are worth more
>>
File: 1472623032354.jpg (38KB, 481x358px) Image search: [Google]
1472623032354.jpg
38KB, 481x358px
>search a laptop to git gud with CUDA and test my stuff before running it on a Jetson TX
>Thinkpad with GPU are expensive as fuck
>low tier gayming laptops have GPUs.

Why?
>>
>>58687743
>one has a core i7
You know the i7 in x230s really didn't make any appreciable difference, right? Always find it weird when people buy for bigger "i" numbers without doing research on which processor it is and how it performs in that machine.
>>
>>58687780
yes, i know less than 10% performance difference, but they are rare on eBay and can be sold at 2x the price of i5 motherboards.
>>
>>58687780
How to do research?
>compare on ark
>look for which stats?
>>
>>58682331
Gonna need to replace the plastic frame around the top of the keyboard, those rubberthingies are pretty crap though and always come off

FRU should be 04W1771
>>
Is the CPU generally replaceable on Dell Latitudes?
>>
>>58677558
I haven't done this in ages, but IKTF.
I once jumped on my bike and landed on my nuts.

Sorry to hear it mayn.
>>
i like my stinkpad
>>
>>58688250
The smell of the rubber rails on the HDD is an acquired taste.
>>
>>58688258
i have a tricked out x40, it's bitchin, gets 10 hours with a new chink extended battery pack
>>
>>58688275
>x40
I should get one just to put it next to my G40 even though my X61t sits there anyways.
>>
>>58688282
Keyboard's better than the later ones I think. The best keyboard is on the T42 though. I think it was a unique model it its own series despite the name.
>>
Is it possible to boot a T430 exclusively from an mSATA SSD? Lenovo documentation suggests that the mSATA slot is only for caching, but that sounds like horseshit.

In the end, there's probably no practical benefit of mSATA over SATA, but I wanted the option of adding a large HDD later.
>>
>>58688299
Yes. You can on the T420 so i dont see why they would remove it for the T430.
>>
>>58688298
I dont really like the compact layout keyboards like my X61t has, but thats because im not used to it enough to type without looking.
>>
>>58688310
That's good to hear, but this is Lelnovo we're talking about. I wouldn't put it past them to remove arbitrary features from one generation to the next - they did it with an entire keyboard row and the TrackPoint buttons. At least the buttons came back.
>>
>>58688317
I have an x61s but no power brick for it, sad! Many such cases!
>>
>>58675758
Do I need any kind of adapter to put this screen into a T420s?

It's 1920x1080 IPS.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14-Exakt-B140HAN01-3-LED-LCD-Screen-IPS-Display-Panel-fur-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420s-/222070267637
>>
>>58676033
They seem like decent laptops, nothing spectacular but no Thinkpads of recent years have really stood out.
>>
>>58688337
Same one as my T420 anon. They are cheap.
>>
>>58675758
bump
>>
File: convert_DSC_0009.jpg (207KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
convert_DSC_0009.jpg
207KB, 960x720px
>>58676604
I happened to have the BIOS open on my E530 and ended up checking the USB settings. Turns out providing power over USB while off is actually possible, at least on this model.
>>
>>58688337
Buy a used one on ebay senpai.
>>
>>58688538
>iPod, iPhone, BlackBerry
I wonder why they bothered listing brands in the BIOS of all places
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-01-28 12.26.08.png (117KB, 935x976px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-01-28 12.26.08.png
117KB, 935x976px
thinkpad t500

should I be worried about these temps?
>>
>>58689113
That's just fine. Mobile components are good out to 100C.
>>
My x230 came with a 250GB samsung 850 EVO ssd

I just bought a 275gb crucial mx300. should i swap them and put the samsung in my main pc?
>>
>>58689348
pretty sure that samsung draws less power
>>
>>58689368
the samsung is better performance wise as well right?

pretty sick though. got the x230 for 320aud came with the ssd and 8gb of ram

only advantage is the crucial is 275GB
>>
Hello guys, Im very dumb when it comes to technology stuff and I know this is probably the wrong thread but I was wondering if you could help me out. My laptop wont start up and I cant get thethe battery out because of the screws, do you guys maybe have any idea what to do? Its a lenovo ideapad 300 15isk btw
>>
>>58689606
If it's not powering on at all, even with the charger in, it's likely something to do with the motherboard if not something stupid like a power button being disconnected. If you have no idea what you're doing and the fix isn't an obvious one your chances aren't great, but otherwise, assuming it's not under warranty, you're likely either spending the value of the laptop on getting someone else to repair it.

It might be a start to properly describe the problem though, rather than simply saying it won't start and that the battery is screwed in - taking the battery out won't magically make it start and you should be capable of figuring out how to use a screwdriver yourself.
>>
>>58689657
I tried a screwdriver but its not tiny enough so the last two screws wont go. When I push the power button, two lights in the front come on but they quickly turn off again. They're the battery light and the one that lights up when it starts regularly. The power light I think?
>>
File: libretard.jpg (927KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
libretard.jpg
927KB, 2560x1920px
Currently librebooting my X200. Which FSF-distro should I use /tpg/?.

Thinking of Parabola, but it seems that they had some userspace break with the latest kernel, so they are downgrading... Makes me hesitate.

Also, ask me anything.
>>
>>58675758
Best value sub $200 pre-owned/refurbished Thinkpad guys? I already own 8gb of DDR3 laptop memory and a spare 256gb sata 3 SSD so I don't mind going for max CPU performance with lacking memory and HDD.
>>
>>58689889
Arch/antergos for possibly time-consuming high performance.
Manjaro for (relative) stability with the flexibility of arch.
Ubuntu for Unity (and fresher packages than debian I think?)
Debian for pure stability.
>>
>>58689759
You could try reseating the memory, otherwise I can't think of much that would be a likely cause of the problem.
Here's the hardware maintenance manual if you weren't aware of it - you're probably going to need a smaller screwdriver even for accessing the memory unless you've already made it that far.
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_300-14isk_300-15isk_300-17isk_hmm_201610.pdf
>>
>>58689930
arch is not free/libre-friendly
>>
>>58689930
>Ubuntu for Unity (and fresher packages than debian I think?)
As far as I know, Debian offers repos for more cutting edge updates if you really want them.

Also, as >>58689937 said, none of thoser save Debian are libre, and even Debian is frowned upon by the FSF, though that's just them being pedantic.
>>
>>58689930

None of those distros is libre-friendly.

I tried them all in my convenience machine tho, and I really liked antergos.

For a libre computer, I actually thought of parabola because I thought it would force me to fully customize the distro, and packages would be bleeding edge.

But I've been using fedora for quite a while in my convenience machine, and I found it comfortable when I don't fancy getting my hands too dirty.

Also, bigger userbase means you are not alone when adversities come. That tranquilizes me.

But goddammit, the only thing FSF endorses that is fedoralike, is that BLAG thing, that dropped when there was fedora 13.

How does that "freed-ora" thing work?
>>
>>58689908
T420
>>
File: 1451463479383.jpg (192KB, 1056x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1451463479383.jpg
192KB, 1056x1044px
>>58677554
You can make a recover DVD/USB of the current system.
>>58677566
>license sticker on the bottom of the laptop?
Does it work for all versions of Windows?
>>
>>58677818
>http://pcriver.com/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-iso-download/
Is this legit?
>>
>>58678048
>unactivated since you have a w7 key on the bottom of your laptop. You won't even have to type it in though.
You mean it recognize the license?
>>
>>58681141
Easiest way

Get caddy or 2.5" enclosure.
Boot a live session of parted magic.
Clone
swap the HDD with SSD
>>
File: 1447194673325.jpg (84KB, 580x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447194673325.jpg
84KB, 580x800px
I think my optic drive is dying.
It can no longer burn CD/DVD, and the tray pop out at random times.
I have spare optic drive lying around, different brand though.
Do I need a specific one for T420, or I can swap the plastic lid of the optic drive?
>>
someone wants to sell me his used(1year) X220 for $350:

i5 2520M
8GB DDR3 SDRAM @1333MHz
256GB SSD
new 9 cell

should I go for it?
>>
>>58690875
Smells fishy.
>>
Hello /tpg/,
I'm looking to buy my sister a laptop for her birthday. Which thinkpad can you recommend?
My budget is 500-600€, she's gonna use it for regular normie stuff like YouTube, Facebook and Microsoft Word.
The T420 is 250€ new but I'd like a more powerful model so she doesn't complain to me about its speed.
Any other recommended models for more than 250?
>>
>>58690892
What would an X220 with those specs usually go for?
>>
>>58690936
Less.
>>
Currently got a T61 and looking for an upgrade right now.
My main issues is the lack of DisplayPort / HDMI Port and that it is quite slow even under Linux.
I've got the choice between a T410 ($140) and a T510 ($200). Condition seems to be roughly the same. Prices in AUD.
I'm not really sure whether the T510 really offers anything over the T410 other than 0.13 GHz.
My main requirement really is the display port and speed. Any pointers?
>>
>>58690897
Its i5-2520M is plenty powerful for the stuff she needs to do, but I guess you can get her a T430, it has a better gpu.
>>
>>58690897
I can't imagine you'd have much reason to take a T series over an X since it doesn't sound you'll end up upgrading it in the future anyway, unless you think you think an extra hard drive might be useful.

T430 and X230 are slightly more expensive for reasonable improvements to performance. The only major difference between them and the **20's is the chicklet keyboard, but if your sister isn't already a classic keyboard fanboy I don't think that'll matter too much.

>>58691026
T510 would probably have better cooling since it's bigger, which might matter to you since the CPUs do produce a fair amount of heat. Otherwise they'll be much the same.

Though if you're considering paying $200 for a T510 then I don't see why you wouldn't just get a T420 for much the same price.
>>
redpill me on t420s
i dont plan to change the cpu and i will use ultrabay
>>
>>58691097
Cheers mate, didn't consider that.
considering the T510 for $200 because the cheapest T420 I can find costs $270.
>>
>>58691139
There are some reasonable options on ebay though not as many as I expected.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-T420s-CORE-i5-2520M-2-5GHz-4GB-128GB-SSD-1600x900-HD-LAPTOP-/122327988313?hash=item1c7b50f859:g:9FQAAOSwImRYRpOw
This for example would be a pretty good bet I think, but I haven't had too much of a shop around.
>>
>>58691183
didn't check ebay, only gumtree
might try my hand at bidding
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381938115204
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332103432681
>>
>>58691299
Yeah they'd probably be decent bets if you can get them cheap.
Something that might be worth noting: I have the same dock as that listing - the way it fits the T410 will mean that the fan is blocked by it. It's built to still allow some plastic through the big lump of plastic, but still impedes air flow. You could probably modify it to fix this if you really needed to use the dock without throttling the CPU though.
>>
File: B013L6K0HC.01.S001.JUMBOXXX.jpg (959KB, 1489x1920px) Image search: [Google]
B013L6K0HC.01.S001.JUMBOXXX.jpg
959KB, 1489x1920px
>>
File: 1485561361781.png (189KB, 1280x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1485561361781.png
189KB, 1280x1122px
>>58691584
>impying you can use a thinkpad when it's that sunny outside
Thinkpads are for mom's basements and first year CS classes
>>
>>58691603
anime tho

What did you use for your second year CS classes?
>>
File: 1485564820148.png (230KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1485564820148.png
230KB, 500x281px
>>58691626
>implying I didn't get a programming job without a degree after one year of vonlunteering followed by one year paid internship
>now have a career without wasting 4 years and student debt
You can do it too anon, Ganbere!
>>
File: Cw_VWGxVQAAfT9z.jpg (112KB, 700x988px) Image search: [Google]
Cw_VWGxVQAAfT9z.jpg
112KB, 700x988px
>>58691652
Wouldn't just doing a ton of freelance work be better than volunteering for an entire year
>>
File: 1485149144424.jpg (500KB, 620x895px) Image search: [Google]
1485149144424.jpg
500KB, 620x895px
>>58691672
If you can stomach that. I'll be honest, I got lucky because I used to program as a hobby in high school so when the opportunity to automate a bunch of manual processes I was in the right time and place to do it super quick and it impressed the right people
>>
File: roll point.jpg (74KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
roll point.jpg
74KB, 600x800px
>>58691725
I'm glad good things happened to you, Rollposter
>>
>>58691745
>>
File: portable-ibm-thinkpad-t43.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
portable-ibm-thinkpad-t43.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
I'm following an old IBM T43 auction and could get it for fuckcheap right now, but the guy says nothing in the description and I'm not familiar with the specs. Is there any good use to this unit?
>>
>>58692191
>Is there any good use to this unit?
Always. It's what you make of it. I've had a quad core MBP I've done nothing but shitpost on for ~6 months or more. Would have been more comfy with an old IBM machine.
>>
>>58692306
I've just read the thinkwiki and it seems it can handle most distros so yes I'm definitely going to shitpost for ~6 months or more, on gentoo.
>>
>>58684968
ya dun goofed

t. bought T30 for 10€ and it has SVP as well
>>
File: sweet landing.webm (475KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
sweet landing.webm
475KB, 700x700px
>>58687361
>>58687368
>>58687374
>>58687377
>>58687413
stop being so dramatic over some stupid stickers
>>
>>58690936
Around $250 I'd say.
>>
>>58692191
It's probably just slow. Like really slow
>>
File: axJmn.gif (804KB, 1307x734px) Image search: [Google]
axJmn.gif
804KB, 1307x734px
>>58692546
>>
Some professional reseller sells a x220

>i5 2520M 2,8GHz
>8Go DDR3
>240Gb SSD
>6 cell battery

$235.
You guys think it's a good deal?
>>
>>58692729
No. $150 tops
>>
>>58689889
What do you use anon for the SPI flashing?
>>
>>58692774
Because you probably live in the US but in Europe I can't find lower prices, it's all between $200 and $235. Shit seems hopeless.
>>
is X2xx big enough for comfy programming or should I rather go with T4xx?

will be carried around campus on a daily basis
>>
>>58689908
2570p
>>
Working at ibm and I just got a T450 what do you think about that model? Its pretty thin and the screen looks kinda nice, im not totally convinced tho, I miss mi T430.
>>
>>58692908
X2xx are more portable but especially if you're planning on buying an older one, they have lower resolutions than T4xx models and resolution is crucial. Typing on my X220 is a dream though. You don't notice the small size by the feel of it.
>>
>>58692774
Listen to >>58692849. In Europe they are way more expensive. There's no way you can get a X220 in relatively good condition for less than $200. I paid 230€ for mine and that's pretty much a bargain.
>>
hello /tpg/, here it is. moving to china for two years next month. i need a robust laptop to bring with me, something that i won't have to try and fix constantly (i'm going to be in the wild west and i don't speak mandarin so getting it repaired would probably be difficult)

leaning towards a thinkpad. ideally as portable/robust/long in battery life as possible. what would you suggest?
>>
Someone here convince me not to buy a 2017 x1 yoga when it comes out and a Razer core to put my 1080 into as my main machine.

Something other than the ME framework thing because I honestly don't care about muh freedome.
>>
>>58693079
I would get a T420-T430 depending on your needs
>>
>>58693079
I'd buy 5 x220s
>>
>>58692908
I actually do most of my programming and scripting on x220 because of the glorious keyboard and feel, I have 14" HP EliteBook and a desktop with nice keyboard, the screen of the x220 is just right, and its suitable even for 2x splitscreen work, if you are lazy this is the thing for you.
The keyboard is so small I dont move my hands around too much even with all the emacs key strokes etc. at the same time is just big enough so I dont accidently press keys I dont want and everything is within reach, its awesome, I could tell the same for T420 too, but then again, x220 is way more portable and has really nice battery life, but from x60 to x220 is good, x230 is shit (keyboard wise) but there is possibility with some hardware + software hacking to actually install x220 keyboard on x230, this is my summer project for this year.

>tl;dr x220 is great for programming even with spliscreen and its keyboard is the most awesome keyboard I've ever used !
>>
>>58693098
>>58693111

thanks for the recs. i only need something that will run mint well, for word processing and light browsing. i looked at buying a low end laptop new but they're all chromebooks, which i assume would be totally useless in a country where you can't access google without a VPN
>>
>>58693133
The x220-into-x230 keyboard hack is always "good enough" but almost never really works. There will always be keys or functions that either don't work or behave oddly. Definitely not to be attempted by anyone but those who want to make their hardware function less at the expense of having a special snowflake keyboard. Everyone seems to forget that the x230 didn't offer much improvement over the x220 in the first place.

For a project, godspeed. But for a computer that you're going to do real work on, just get the x220 if that work involves any appreciable amount of typing.
>>
Guys, I just installed 16gb of ram in my x230, and now I have "no networking hardware detected" in Windows 7. It was working perfectly before this. I even tried switching the order of the new cards and I still can't detect my wifi card? Any idea why this might be? Thanks for your help.

Hardware installed: Crucial 16GB Kit (2 X 8GB) 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) 204-Pin SODIMM DDR3L Memory
>>
>>58689889
Where did you get that clip adaptor?
>>
Is it a bad idea to buy a T460 now? Should I wait for the T470 to be released?
>>
>>58693274
try reseating the DIMMs, then upgrade the firmware.
>>
Should I get a x220 with a 1600x900 and fingerprint reader or a t520 with a 1600x900 but no fingerprint reader?
>>
>>58694140
Do you want a fingerprint reader?

>>58693274
Same thing happened to me. I ended up just putting in the old ram. Happens to these old thinkpads.
>>
>>58694172
I don't specifically demand one, but it seems like a neat feature for security. Not sure if it's a make or break feature depending on how efficient it is.
>>
>>58694182
I forgot to mention, the x220 has an IPS display and comes with a 9 cell battery for the same price.
>>
>>58694215
the x220 will have a 1366x768 screen if that affects your choice
>>
Anyone here has x250? How practical is the size?
>>
How can i cover a camera in my x220 without using a tape? I dont want to unplug it because i want to se it from time to time. Did you cover your cam? How?
>>
I have T420 on windows 10

I have a problem which is when I pull the battery and only using power adapter my T420 downclock it processor to 800mhz...
>>
File: unnamed.png (44KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
44KB, 384x384px
>tfw my T530 is on its way

I got to mess with a T420s about 6 months ago and it was just pure joy. Those keyboards are gorgeous. Been saving up for a thinkpad of my own ever since, finally here after many setbacks.

What are the first things I should do to the laptop when I get it? (Other than hardware related stuff, I'm already planning to disassemble the thing, clean every crevice, repaste and transfer the classic keyboard in).
>>
>>58692796

I used an arduino UNO.

I tried with a raspi because everyone seems to use one of those, but using an Arduino is actually comfiest, because you dont' have to count pins to make the connections, and you don't have to ssh into the raspi everytime you have to rewire things.

>>58693536

I got my first SOIC-8 clamp in ebay, and when i realized my chip was SOIC-16, I bought the clamp in some electronics store.
>>
File: 20170128_210214.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_210214.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Show me your work area /tpg/
>>
File: IMG_0657.jpg (67KB, 595x599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0657.jpg
67KB, 595x599px
>>58695393
>T530
>saving up for a thinkpad of my own ever since
>about 6 months ago
>saving up
>T530
>6 months
>>
>>58695565
Go easy on me, 2016 was a rough year for me. I was sleeping in a car for a few months at one point.
>>
>>58695627
I hope things go well for you this year anon.
>>
>>58695655
things seem to be improving for the dude already. he's getting a sickass t530
>>
>>58695559
>""""work"""""area
>console garbage
>small pressed cardboard desk
>>
>>58695429
>I tried with a raspi
How well did it go down?
I've got some T400 bough from a bro for shits and giggles, wanna flash libreboot on them and sell them.
I've read somewhere that the rPis are a bit unstable, could you tell anything about that?
>>
>>58692191
Can you at least read the MTM and input it to http://tp.krelay.de/index.php ?

Might as well get a IPS T43p if you could.
>>
>>58693203
um i've done this and with the bios patch literally 99% of the keys work even the num lock and numbers. The FN combinations that don't work are actually useless and have never needed to use them now or in the past. The x230 offers significantly improved gpu performance and marginally better battery life. The X220 is pretty much deprecated at this point. If you are looking at both machines buy the X230 and do the mod.
>>
>>58696116
How do you do the patch? I was looking at the article on the thinkwiki and it seems you need to do all sorts of hex editing and shit. Looks complicated.
>>
>>58696162
No you don't you pretty much punch in a bunch of commands into a linux terminal, it will then download the official firmware from lenovo patch it and write it to a usb. There is a video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncnKB54c4g
>>
>>58696093
No, I can't read a thing from that pic. It only says IBM T43.
>>
How much would you pay for a used x200 with i5, in the current year?
>>
>>58696642
*x220

found several eBay listings for about 180 euro
>>
>>58696642
> x200
It's Core2, not i5.
>>
>>58695559
>choosing elitebook over thinkpad
go back to >>>le /reddit/
>>
>>58696676
Just how dumb are you
>>
>>58695559
kill yourself
>>
>>58679399
> Nobody I know doesn't at least install an SSD.
> Linux support is not what keeps laptops alive for the overwhelming majority of users. Not many employed people outside of specific industries solely use Linux
>> /g/ - Technology
> Battery life, screen resolution, and not having to replace parts in the first place are what is going to matter to most people looking for a computer for work or school.
Most people will buy a consumer trash and then complain about it. They can fuck right off.
>>
>>58696728
> Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
>>
>>58696676
buying an x200 in 2017 is retarded an x220 costs fuck all and its leagues better in terms of performance and battery life. There is no comparison.
>>
>>58696821
x220 really is the sweetspot in 2k17.

>inb4 "b-but the x230 is soooo much better!"
no it wasn't. Unlike most of /tpg/ I was alive and using Thinkpads every day. I switched back to my x220 after 2 months with an x230i tablet.
>>
>t420
>install ssd.
It's like a new machine. Had it since 2012. 256gb,8gb,i5,nvidia gpu,hd+ screen,9cell. So comfy to use now.
>>
>>58695878
I am a poor student, the desk was free and the console was a second hand gift from a relative.
>>
>>58697007
i think at this point buy whatever x2x0 is cheapest and least broken-est on ebay that day, and certainly don't feel you need to upgrade if you already own an x220
>>
>>58697106
>i5
>laughing girls
How can you even compete?
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 384x384px
>tfw W530 with K2000M, classic keyboard, i7-3940XM, 32GB RAM, B156HW01 V.7 and 9cell batt

Does it actually get any better than that? Is it not thinkpad perfection?
>>
>>58697132
I would work on the floor before I had to suffer on that cramped surface

Unless you're videogames are work you would keep them separate from anything you would label as a work area
>>
>>58697628
As much 2tb ssd as you can fit.
>>
>>58696201

Been looking for a video for a while, but wasn't able to word it right in the search. Thanks for posting senpai!
>>
>>58697628
post photos you fucking nigger
I'm jealous, let me at least appreciate that by looking on my shitty computer screen
>>
>>58697628
upgrade screen to an IPS
>>
Are there any options for upgrading a T410's screen other than getting a 1440x900 panel?
>>
>>58697106
>nvidia gpu
no
>>
>>58687049
you never fiddled with the little trigger thingy next to your CD drive and found it popped out?
>>
>>58696043

TL;DR: Raspi is a fucking hassle, Arduino is straight forward, but 5V can fuck up your life

I kept getting "No EEPROM/flash device found" errors, even after switching MISO and MOSI pins on the Pi, so maybe yes, they are a bit unstable.

Also, the 3.3V pin sometimes doesn't give enough current to drive the flash chips, so you have to rely on an external power source.

I'd recommend an Arduino UNO as SPI flasher, because pins are marked, and everything is just prepared for tinkering. Good 3.3v source and all. (Maybe the comm pins are 0-5V, and that can damage some chips)
On the raspi you have to fucking count pins on the GPIO so you can easily fuck up the wiring.

But you see, there is this plastic sheet all over the motherboard, that you can remove to fix the clamp to the bios chip, or you can squeeze the clamp through it.

I tried switching to the UNO AND removing the plastic at the same time, so I don't know if in the end, the Pi would have worked out.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (79KB, 1005x511px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
79KB, 1005x511px
Should I? Price is in CAD
>>
>>58699679
>1366x768
youre gonna hate it, i promise you
>>
File: TOXIC AS FUCK.jpg (28KB, 366x306px) Image search: [Google]
TOXIC AS FUCK.jpg
28KB, 366x306px
>>58699679
>thirteen sixty six by seven six eight
>>
>>58699735
>>thirteen sixty six by seven six eight
>>58699830
Is there a guide to screen resolutions?

>>58699679
If the price is in CAD just change the units!
>>
>>58699830
To be honest 768p on a 14" screen probably wont look that bad, but you'll be limited work wise because you can only have one thing on screen at once because everything is so fuckhuge.
>>
>>58675758
One of the lid/latch hooks broke on my t420. Where do I go about finding a replacement/ replacing it?
>>
>>58699937
You gotta buy a whole new laptop.
>>
I love everything about the x220 except the screen isn't that good
>>
>>58700125

There's mods out there, just difficult to do from what i've read.
>>
is sitting at between 50-60 degrees normal for an x220 during normal web browsing? feel like its running kinda hot for what im using it for
>>
File: x220.jpg (79KB, 1011x509px) Image search: [Google]
x220.jpg
79KB, 1011x509px
>>58699679
This or X220?
>>
>>58700552
if you're getting a x220 dont pay that much for it, i have spent about £130 on mine so far and it has a 256gb ssd and 8gb ram, no idea how much that is in syrupbucks but that seems fucking expensive for a fairly old laptop
>>
>get a "shitty" t430
>run arkham asylum maxed out at 900p with 2x aa and phyx @ 30+fps

welp... that was unexpected
>>
>>58700667
I would call 900p 30fps shitty
>>
>>58700679
you would also suck cock for a hit of meth you fucking faggot
>>
File: 1485557942564.png (39KB, 156x129px) Image search: [Google]
1485557942564.png
39KB, 156x129px
>>58700710
I actually abstain from drugs
>>
>>58700727
its not whether you do drugs or not, its the that you would suck dick for a hit a meth because you are, in fact a fucking faggot.
>>
So on my T420, on the back slot next to where the RAM stick is it's just empty. What can I put there?
>>
>>58700604
~300$ is fairly standard for an X220 in canuckbux, i paid that much for my x220t. import fees are insane here.
>>
>>58700893
mSATA SSD or WWAN card.
>>
>>58701098
thanks, imma just leave it empty then
>>
Is there a Tablet in the Thinkpad brand that isn't the X2x0T and is actually decent?
>>
New thread: >>58701432
>>
I want a laptop that is new not 5 years old already. Do I get a thinkpad or a laditude? Are the new thinkpads really that shit?
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.