[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be computer science major >see this >wat do https:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

>be computer science major
>see this
>wat do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sthaV8ddJ4
>>
>>52893961
Continue computer science having realized all this shit is just for good image and has no place in a functional society
Maybe masturbate
>>
>>52893961
sign up to teach kids then sabotage their efforts and get paid to be a piece of shit
>>
>>52893961
You've got at least 6 or so years before the newage fags start trying to replace you, become someone meaningful by then and filter them out of the system
>>
>>52893961
Everyone learns physics, but no one is a physicist.
>>
>>52893961
>all kids must learn cs especially girls and minorities
americucks kek

>>52894238
you are wasting your time, 4chan has too much austism to get it.
>>
Doesn't really matter, cause the only CS this little shits will learn is trendy webdev garbage.
>>
File: spacex.gif (2MB, 500x413px) Image search: [Google]
spacex.gif
2MB, 500x413px
>>52893961
>education and healthcare in shambles because lack of manpower
>gubmunt being run by literal retards who don't even know their world history because substandard humanities education
>idiotic constituents who can't even into basic logic to call bullshit on presidential debates
>W-WE MUST RAM COMPUTER SCIENCE DOWN EVERYONE'S THROATS

And this is how America dies -- falling over dead while chasing meme curriculum.
>>
>>52894010
This, why aren't you fighting the good fight and securing our future from curries and the next generation.
>>
>>52895164
just trying to flood the last labor markets where wages are still high and can get you into a higher social economic class.

They should be pulling government money from liberal arts and humanities. then fully funding anyone who can manage a C in preMed and doctor school. The USA, despite being the country where doctors can become wealthy, has 2 doctors per 100,000. Compared to the 3 per 100,000 of Europe.
>>
>>52893961
it's a good idea. there's no reason to not know programming in 2016, it should be a bare minimum of computer literacy. spending your whole life using programs that other people wrote is pathetic.
>>
File: chinese economy.jpg (82KB, 470x600px) Image search: [Google]
chinese economy.jpg
82KB, 470x600px
>>52895434
>pulling government money from liberal arts and humanities
It's like you're trying to create a society that doesn't know how to maintain or govern itself.
>>
>>52895476
Don't need poorfags going to state schools with govenrment backed loans to get Gender Studies and other such useless neo-liberal arts/humanities education.

They can go to a private school and pay their own way with out government help if they really want to do that.
>>
>>52895501
>he buys into the "humanities are worthless" meme
What's it like to be part of the problem that keeps higher education stagnant?
>>
>>52895476
>implying the second gilded age is any better
>>
>>52895521
prioritization of limited resources.

public funds should go to helping the public good.
>>
File: 1453445055895.jpg (87KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
1453445055895.jpg
87KB, 582x600px
>>52893961
>be computer science major

ask me how I know you fucked up from one sentence
>>
File: Hipster Fox.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hipster Fox.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
>>52893961

Step 1. Make everyone dependent on technology
Step 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI
>>
>>52895543
>public funds should go to helping the public good.
And humanities are somehow exempt because...?
>>
>>52895501
Physics used to be considered a humanities degree...
>>
Learn COBOL and have job security.
>>
>>52895582
>what is gender studies and sociology

Not being in a real science: the post.

PS, your hobby/thing every 10 year old can do isn't worth wasting people's money/time
>>
>>52895543
>Implying journalism is not a public good.
>Implying politics and the creation and operation of a functional system of government is not a public good.
>Implying researching our past is not a public good.
>Implying understanding the human mind is not a public good.
>Implying working in the legal system is not a public good.
>Implying social work is not a public good.

.... all because they don't create meme programs?
>>
>>52895604
still should be imho
>>
>>52895631
Confirmed troll

-1/10, typical /g/tard. Go back to shitposting about your loli waifu.
>>
>>52895618
>never held a job in real life: the post
People in charge of running shit almost always have humanities degrees. People in charge of running shit *well* almost always have humanities degrees from good schools. People signing your paycheck and taking triple of what you make in a year have humanities degrees.

STEM worshipping is precisely what's wrong with this country. We see the exact same thing happening in China -- it's a failed nation run by technocrats that looks very good on paper but maintained very poorly. If you think *our* infrastructure is failing, you haven't seen one tenth of the shit that goes on in China.
>>
File: 1372741648496.gif (1MB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
1372741648496.gif
1MB, 254x198px
>>52895623
Not the guy you are replying to, but let's be honest:

Politics, psychology, economics, history, and law, as they stand are inherently unscientific pursuits. There is almost no rigor, and experiments are oftentimes not carried out thoroughly, and results are often not replicable. Studies done on people present too many independent variables to control correctly.

The solution is computer science, and mathematical modelling. By simulating behaviors and group actions with statistics and graphs, you can completely do away with the uncontrollable errors seen in the above mentioned fields.

Of course, simulation technology is still very new and we don't have powerful enough hardware to do demanding simulations, but we are getting there.

The scientific method has effectively replaced mythology. Modern medicine has replaced voodoo. Neuroscience is replacing psychology. Math-based models and powerful hardware for simulations WILL replace the "soft sciences" in the long run.

That's not to say that those fields are useless right now, because something is better than nothing, but it is important to realize when things are on the verge of obsolescence.
>>
>>52895643
you sure showed me with those opinions
>>
>>52895686
>People in charge of running shit almost always have humanities degrees

Not him, but this is actually a bad thing.

The best people to have in charge are those with actual experience, not any particular degree.

It's better to have a manual laborer in charge who thoroughly understands how to run a system, than a person with a postdoc in any field who has never had leadership experience in their lives.
>>
>>52895623
government is full of polsci majors and lawyers. they are a huge part of the problem. the people working in the government and elected to office need to be representative of the people. Not representative of a political social class.

how is journalism even a major? anyone with any college degree should posses the critical thinking and writing skills needed to investigate and write about things.
>>
>>52895700
>a body of inherently unreliable actors produce results that are not replicable
>i have no idea how statistical modeling has been an important part of humanities for centuries
Gee, how come your mother lets you be doubly retarded, Anon?
>>
>>52895717
>Unable to formulate a solid argument because his STEM-centric college schooling did not prepare him for dealing with the real world.
>Lashes out at anyone who questions his inability to form a coherent argument.

kek
>>
>>52895730
>how is journalism even a major?
I wonder the same thing.

Your degree should be in the field that you specialize in.

A "tech reporter" should have a CS degree, with a Journalism minor/certificate.
A "court reporter" should have a Criminal Justice degree with a Journalism minor/certificate.

Journalism as its own major is contributing to the decline of news reporting.
>>
i don't understand why computer science in particular
>>
>>52895730
>the people working in the government and elected to office need to be representative of the people. Not representative of a political social class.

oh GOOD FUCKING LORD. Let me guess, you're a Donald Trump supporter? Yes, let's elect an average Joe who knows nothing about how government functions and how the legal system works to create laws. There's a reason most politicians are lawyers.

>how is journalism even a major? anyone with any college degree should posses the critical thinking and writing skills needed to investigate and write about things.

You would think so, but I did a dual major in journalism and computer science and every one of my compsci classmates could not write a paper to save their lives. Proper writing is a lot more than just picking up a pen and, well, writing.
>>
>>52895751
the decline in news reporting is due to the ownership problem. Major American news went from 400 plus owners in the 1970s to a dozen or so now.
>>
>>52895730
>getting a degree in something also places you in a social class
That's not what a "social class" means.

Political science/journalism are producing subpar students precisely because of the latent STEM worshipping. They can't get quality instructors because they either can't afford them, or there are none because the degree was left to rot for so long.
>>
>>52895733
>statistical modeling has been an important part of humanities
You mean looking at a group of people, drawing some incomplete conclusions, and passing off your broken """model""" as a new discovery, because you want funding and are envious of the hard sciences?

Oh please, you have no idea how statistical modelling works in hard sciences. I am a math major, but I was a research assistant for my uni's sociology division to run tests with a professor's "model".

If you weren't the one who was doubly retarded, you would know how un-rigorous the "math" is in the soft sciences.

I felt like this much is extremely obvious to anyone participating in this discussion, but I guess you don't know anything but still want to feel special by making your own post.

Feel free to keep posting, though, as it may help you deal with that inferiority complex.
>>
I took computer science when I was in high school. Very few of the people who were in it actually went on to get a CS degree, but almost everyone left knowing how to code a bit. I honestly think that more CS education will benefit the USA.

I don't say this often, but Obama is doing a good thing.
>>
>>52895700
>inherently unscientific pursuits

this is a great example of the education system failing someone. people don't even realize what science itself *is* anymore.
teaching cs to kids will be no different.
>>
>>52895781
Rand Paul supporter.

He is an eye surgeon but seems to have a good grasp of government.

You should read how Congressional Committees and sub committees are appointed.

No one is put on them because they have knowledge of the field. They are handed out by the ruling party by seniority, party loyalty, and importance of a member's state to a specific field. When it should be military veterans on the Armed Services Committee, farmers on the farming committee, etc

Instead of a bunch of lawyers who get told what to do by lobbyists and campaign sugar daddies.
>>
jesus christ the education system has failed so many people in this thread.
that or im getting trolled hard
>>
>>52895751
>Your degree should be in the field that you specialize in.
If you actually believe this, you have fundamentally flawed understanding of humanities degrees or just degrees in general.

You're supposed to be applying what you've learned in school out in the real world. You use history to make informed decisions in foreign affairs (Britbongs ignoring semitic tensions before creating Israel, anyone?), journalism to make impartial assessment on whatever subject you might be writing about, et cetera.

If you want specialized degrees that prep you for one-track job straight out of graduation, you should be looking into trade schools.
>>
>>52895840
>non-replicable "results"
>no control of the vast amount of independent variables related to tests on people

Yeah, so "scientific".
The education system has failed you, apparently, because you have absolutely no clue what the scientific method is.

Since you seem to get offended like a child when your field of study gets even slightly criticized, let me re-iterate the last point of the post you replied to (but apparently didn't read through): I don't think the humanties are useless subjects right now, and that they have some amount of value, but you would have to be an actual retard to suggest that they, in any way, rigorously follow the scientific method.

Try posting your "muh science" nonsense on /sci/, see how quickly you get torn a new one, I'll wait.
>>
>>52895874
Are you saying someone with a journalism degree, with zero knowledge of technology should be the one giving me my tech news? A specialized degree is the only option for a specialized career path, and unless someone can provide other credentials that they are qualified to write articles AND report on technology, they should not become a tech reporter.

How does having a general degree help in that matter? Applying what you learn is always a good thing, but you can't apply apples to oranges.
>>
File: meme mouvement.png (3KB, 206x27px) Image search: [Google]
meme mouvement.png
3KB, 206x27px
>>52895885
>>52895804
>Reddit: the Post
STEM worshipping is for uneducated trade-school tier coders. You're the one that's envious of people making actual bank and tangible contribution to the society, be they humanities majors or STEM majors.
>>
>>52895572

I've herd about this somewhere before. Someone quit EA games and made a speech about EA's future plans to reward citizens to buy certain items or behave like a civil drone or some shit like that.
>>
>>52895885
youve jumped to a few conclusions about my statement friend

im a software dev, computer science *is* my field.

philosophy birthed the scientific method; it's simply a philosophical framework that (unscientifically) presupposes materialism. its an offshoot of humanities.

autists dont understand this. they think they can apply one pattern to everything. myopic stem worship without context leaves kids intellectually hamstrung
>>
>>52895922
>Are you saying someone with a journalism degree, with zero knowledge of technology should be the one giving me my tech news?

One thing journalism teaches is how to be knowledgeable in many different subject areas. Tech reporters don't need to know the intricacies of electrical engineering to be able to write an article for a laymen's audience about the latest Intel processors or iPhones. Hell, even complex subjects in technology can be written by someone with just a journalism degree, the ability to research property, and good interview subjects who can help walk them through what they need to know.

Maybe a writer for a B2B trade publication might need a deep tech background (and in fact some industry trade publications do look for people with tech backgrounds) but that's not true for a majority of tech reporters writing for newspapers and Internet websites and even most B2B trade publications.
>>
>>52895929
I guess you don't have real arguments to make, then.
>>
>>52896025
Forgot to add, when was the last time you read an article in a newspaper or on a tech blog that read like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o
>>
>>52896017
Yes, the scientific method came from philosophy, but that doesn't make it acceptable to use a philosophy-like approach and call it science.

Reproducible results are VITAL to the scientific method. This is non-negotiable.
Full control of independent variables are VITAL to the scientific method. This is also non-negotiable.

Everything else is give-and-take, and not everything has to stick the a specific rule book to be considered science, but without these bare essentials, it is very hard to call something science.

Sure, the humanties are valuable for personal growth and expanding your ways of thinking. I really enjoyed my economics and psychology classes, but I wouldn't call them "science", nor would I expect others to call them science, because they clearly AREN'T science, and anyone claiming the contrary is insecure about the "rigor" of their field.
>>
>be a computer engineering major
cs is the future everyone, pretty soon the difference between those who can code and those who can't will be like those who can read and write and those who can't. The world is changing and old people need to get over it.
>>
>>52896080
again, jumping to conclusions, putting words in my mouth.

im not telling you what science is and isnt, im calling you short sighted.
>>
>>52896026
you've posted nothing but ad hominem while i've posted actual arguments, so i don't see why you're assuming you've won anything at all.

i guess that's part of being a STEM worshipper who can't reason his way out of a wet paper bag.
>>
>>52896025
One would think that even this much would be easy for someone of no formal tech-related background, but it is surprising how often journalists get facts and figures mixed up, because they don't know what is supposed to go where.

Security and "hacking" reports are always a gigantic clusterfuck, because it seems journalists have zero clue about this field, and they generally don't even know how to find someone who is an actual expert on the topic to do their job for them.

Surely there has to be a better solution.

I'm stuck with reading mailing lists and hanging out on IRC until someone figures out how to educate journalists.
>>
>>52893961
killself
>>
>>52896109
Short sighted for what, not referring to the humanties as science? Feel free to elaborate.
>>
>>52896111
>actual arguments

hahahaha, thanks for the laughs kiddo.
>>
>>52896141
my original comment was simply mocking you for your ridiculous post

your post was cringeworthy enough on it's own that i assume people already don't take it seriously; i just wanted to add a comment.

get it?
>>
>>52896214
No arguments and just a lot of pent-up angst and insecurities, got it.
>>
How do I take advantage of king nigger trying to shove CS down our throats?

Make a company that teaches nogs how to write HTML?
>>
>>52896235
general pent up anger against the education system that produces people like you more than you yourself. your mindset is a product of a failure of society.

i think most people get it eventually, but it shouldnt have to be so late in life.
>>
>>52896235
>insecurities
There's that word again.
>>
>>52896286
>>52896319
>getting so frustrated that you make two posts
>thinking you know anything about the "education system"
>unironically making comments about "failure of society"

hahaha, typical teenage vaper detected.
Shouldn't you be asleep? Your mommy will get mad.
>>
>>52895791
Same problem in Australia, >70% of the media is owned by one guy, the same guy responsible for Fox News in the USA. Consolidation of the media destroys the important function of media holding governments accountable
>>
>>52895781
>Trump
>average joe
Are you serious?
>>
>>52897821
Badly expressed but he's probably saying Trump has zero political experience, and he's not wrong
>>
>>52895781
>Let me guess, you're a Donald Trump supporter?
Honest question here, what the fuck is the alternative? The only people who stand a realistic chance of becoming president are Hillary, Bernie, and Trump. I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between those three, Trump looks by far to be the least bad choice.
>>
>you people should learn computer science
>computer science as in hipster web frameworks
Being into theoretical cs is suffering with all these people around.
>>
>>52895164
>because lack of manpower

WRONGTHINK DETECTED!
Politically correct form would be "personpower". "Womynpower" is also acceptable for registered members of Feminist Vanguard.
Please report to your local rightthink camp for intensive reeducation and sensitivity program.
Thanks.
>>
>>52895434
>despite being the country where doctors can become wealthy, has 2 doctors per 100,000. Compared to the 3 per 100,000 of Europe
Dumb burger cannot into Economy 101.
Docs in the US get wealthy EXACTLY because of lack of supply.
Commie shitholes like Cuba have tons of doctors, and they're all dirt poor (and therefore escape to the US on the first chance they can) - hence medical toursim, for instance.

The number of positions in the US is limited artificially, because current doctors don't want to lose MUH MILYUNS.
The poor and/or uninsured are fucked.
As usual.
>>
>>52895572
technologically literate people can into bitcoin, Tor, deepweb and other goodies
Sesame shit would only work for people who can't into programming on mass-scale, otherwise it becomes an arms race. Just like it is with illegal sharing - okay, they brought down Napster, they brought down Grooveshark, they blocked TPB for a while - but it's still there, still evolves and evades blockades.
>>
>>52895604
please elaborate?

>>52895616
a guy asked for help with Foxpro a few days ago in /dpt/ or /sqt/
so, yeah
COBOL/Foxpro/Fortran/Forth
a guy I know freelances in Delphi
>>
>>52893961
I don't always agree with obama, but he's going in the right direction with this.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.