[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Job requirements: Strong linux shell skills >tfw have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 3

File: tux_orb.png (82KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tux_orb.png
82KB, 1024x1024px
>Job requirements: Strong linux shell skills
>tfw have been running linux on my main computer for over a decade
>tfw qualified for job just by the operating system I use daily

How's it feel to be cucked by your OS, winfags?
>>
>>52708032
sage
>>
I'm a windows sysadmin :^)
>>
>>52708032
>being literally a computer janitor
>>
>>52708144
nice b8
>>
>>52708222
>in charge of Windows servers as job
>lel nice b8 m8
k
>>
>>52708032
Kinda shit, actually. But then I remember all the things I've done on Windows these past 10 years, most of which either can't be done on Linux, or aren't as good, and I remember how shit Linux was all 4 times I tried using it. Red hat, Ubuntu, mint, lubuntu... all garbage.

No regrets, actually. Windows may suck, but at least you can do everything you need to on it.
>>
>>52708703
Yeah, like playing games, or running software from '97
>>
>>52708747
Or you know, Photoshop, Sony Vegas and a bunch of other software that actually mater
>>
>>52708792
You know they run better on Macs?

Also have fun running nginx on windows.
>>
>>52708792
Suddenly everyone is a master illustrator or works at Pixar when they have a issue Linux software.
>>
You running Linux for 10+ year doesn't mean that you have strong linux shell skills.

Just cause you've been running ubuntu and know ls and cd doesn't mean you can write complex scripts

Using something in a work environment isn't the same as using it in a personal environment, even in Windows.

Biggest examples in windows would be Active Directory and Powershell : It's not because you have used windows for 10 years that you have to know about those.
>>
File: 2016-01-30_23-33-46.png (33KB, 906x307px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-30_23-33-46.png
33KB, 906x307px
>>52708836
>Also have fun running nginx on windows.
Eh?
>>
>>52708836
>Runs better on Mac

Some people claim to sleep better on their right side rather than their left, but there's no evidence to back that up.
>>
>>52708792
>Photoshop
There's express these days so you can run photoshop on pretty much every platform with a flash-supporting browser.

>Sony Vegas
Unless you're one of those types who can't stand anything but a very specific program for everything, Linux has had a native version of Lightworks for 2 years already.
>>
>>52708880
CONGRATULATIONS, NOW CONFIGURE FASTCGIWRAP.
You know configuration is the game.
>>
File: 378522.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
378522.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
So did you get the job or not? Why are you and the vast majority unemployed?

What did they say when they asked for Linux certifications and all you could pull out your bag was an old thinkpad with wobbly compiz windows?
>>
>>52708896
You're shitposting right? I refuse to believe adobe would build express with flashplayer
>>
>>52708896
>There's express
Which is no where near the full version

>Unless you're one of those types who can't stand anything but a very specific program for everything
No, but I've been using Vegas for about 2-3 years now and I'd rather not spend that time learning another program and being less efficient
>>
>lincuxfags think typing and remembering some obscure commands is a skill
>>
>>52708930
They don't

It's a mobile only app (iOS, Android, WP(And Windows 10))
>>
>>52708946
>chemistryfags think interacting with and remembering some obscure chemicals is a skill
>>
>>52708859
Fanboys generally tend to not want to admit they're ever at fault for their own problems so they make shit up all the time. They always know a number of programs that lack a native Linux port and always use them when backed into a corner.

Once had someone try to insist Macs have a very limited software library and used some Siemens factory control software that's literally used for running a chemical plant as his main example of software not found on OSX. When I asked him if he used it on his home computer he said it was irrelevant and that if OSX didn't have a version of that exact piece of software it meant OSX had shit software support. This argument took place on /g/ and IIRC it was the same Samsung software that Stuxnet attacked.
>>
>>52708980
>lawyerfags think interacting with and remembering some obscure laws is a skill
>>
>>52709003
fagfags think fagging and fuckin fags is some faggy faggot shit faggot nigger haha xD
>>
>>52709018
>shitposterfags think interacting with and rememberign some obscure maymays is a skill
>>
>>52708940
You're now basically admitting that it's just very specific programs keeping Linux from being an alternative for you, not anything relating to the OS itself.
>>
Meh I've been using Linux for years and I don't feel like I've mastered things like using find and locate. I can use them for basic shit, but that's different from mastering everything you can do with them.
>>
>>52708999
>Samsung
D'oh, meant to write "Siemens"
>>
>>52709042
I never said it was anything else (>>52708792 was my first reply)

I'd actually like to run Linux as a daily, but sadly I can't, since dual booting 2-3 times a day might become a pain in the ass
>>
>>52709074
Consider two machines and a KVM switch.
Otherwise, a SSD takes boots down to 2-5 seconds, hardly a notable amount of time.
>>
>>52708241
>my entire job consists of clicking buttons in shitty GUIs and praying that windows task scheduler actually works today.
Or was that the b8?
>>
>>52708999
The real problem is that GNU/Linux users blame their ineptitude with anything other than GNU/Linux on the OS.
It's kind of funny seeing so many of these supposedly really "technically adept" types go all apeshit over people using Windows or OSX. My experience is that it's usually just their ego telling them that "No, you can't be bad at something relating to computers, so it has to be something other than you" to avoid having to admit that they only know how to use GNU/Linux.
Personally I dumped GNU/Linux for Windows around 2007 and after a lot of torture and mental gymnastics tinkering with UNIX stuff in GNU/Linux all my desktops have since then run Windows. At this point GNU/Linux has to me become "That OS the clueless, kids who want to play pretend sysadmin and those who think uploading their dotfiles to github makes them a 1337 programmer". Pretty much all the software I run into, even the obscure stuff like AVR Studio, Matlab, Quartus II, etc., run on Windows and many that are "Linux-only" can be used with cygwin/msys, VM or even built for Windows natively with a cross compiler.
>>
>>52709105
>Otherwise, a SSD takes boots down to 2-5 seconds, hardly a notable amount of time.
It's more of a problem of "stop everything you're doing, close all the programs and reboot"

As for the KVM, it would be problem, since I'd have to buy a second computer and shit
>>
>52709115
>>my entire job consists of typing in obscure commands and praying that the network interface actually works today.
>>
>>52709167
obviously meant for >>52709115
>>
>>52708880
Lets check "so high performance and scalability should not be excepted. On Windows" official ngnix website, this is the key of nginx so what they actually say is Windows version is completely useless.
>>
>>52709126
the real problem is that people are constantly trying to one-up each other in the social stratification game of OS superiority. but i guess if it makes you feel good about yourself and doesn't directly hurt anyone else...
>>
>>52709126
You sound like an EE.
Linux teaches you Linux (and Unix).
Unless you are going to be a sysadmin there is relly no compelling reason to switch.
Glad you realized it early.
>>
>>52709167
>>52709192
I can ls all day buddy.
Although generally I'm more worried about Cisco VPN shitting the bed and java/icedtea deciding to work that hour. Networks always work because I never buy broadcom.
>>
>>52709229
>Lets check "so high performance and scalability should not be excepted. On Windows" official ngnix website, this is the key of nginx so what they actually say is Windows version is completely useless.

Windows is mainly a desktop OS.
Stop being disingenuous.
>>
>>52709260
I'm not your buddy, pal
>>
>>52709267
>mainly a desktop OS
This is so painfully true, even for the server version. There is no such thing as headless windows.
>>
>>52709126
So you basically just took an anti-Windows copypasta, changed some things a bit and now copypaste it around?

That's pretty sad when it comes down to it. Having to use a modified version of someone else's copypasta to try to make a point.
>>
>>52709282
>having to use RDP for server management
ughhh
>>
>>52709126
There's no reason to be using a desktop PC in 2016. Period. If you're using Windows instead of iOS, you're making things harder for yourself to justify being part of the "l33t" group who thinks they're better than everyone else. Newsflash, grampa, nobody uses MICE and KEYBOARDS anymore. Why bother when I can navigate my big, beautiful iPad with just my finger?
>>
>>52709276
I'm not your pal, friend
>>
>>52709308
I'm not your friend, guy
>>
>>52709321
I'm not your guy, bro
>>
>>52709353
I'm not your bro, mate
>>
>>52709308
I'm not your friend, guy
>>
>>52709299
>having to use RDP for server management

What's wrong with that?
I'm genuinely interested in the answer.
>>
>>52709358
I'm not your mate, dude
>>
>>52709366
Well, it's the fact that it's much more bandwidth and resource intensive than a simple SSH session
>>
>>52709366
The graphical session ever rendered on the CPU is generally very expensive it is always wasteful to do this if you don't have a GPU. The fact that Windows does not include a non-graphical session in any of its forms is wasteful altogether
>>
I'd personally run BSD on everything but BSD has shit virtualization support so no choice but Linux and its plentiful hypervisors
>>
>>52709369
I'm not your dude, neighbor
>>
>>52709304

0/10
>>
>>52709399
Doesn't/Won't Windows 10 support SSH?
I remember reading something about MS teaming up with the OpenSSH guys to port it over or something
>>
>>52709399
Dude, it's not like we are lacking MIPS nowadays.
Its basically a non issue then.
>>
>>52708926
Yes, I got the job. 2 year contract.
>>
>>52709399
Doesn't Intel have a remote managment module in practically every server chipset for.. remote managment?
>>
>>52709456
Try running 2 displaylink monitors and then compile a program. Your opinion will change.
>>52709435
I don't know if windows server supports an ssh server, which would be the requirement. Supposedly you can do remote powershell though.
>>52709470
That's not the same thing
>>
>>52709498
>http://betanews.com/2015/10/23/at-last-microsoft-brings-openssh-to-windows/
H1 of 2016 I guess
>>
>>52709470
That's a different headache and meant for low-level stuff like installing firmware and BIOS tweaking.
>>
>>52709525
Looks like client only. Not the same
>>
>>52709563
Lol, what's the fucking point? You can do the same with putty.
>>
>>52709563
>>52709578
Nope, seems to be the server as well
https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/wiki/Install-Win32-OpenSSH
>Install and run daemon as NT Service running as Local System
And of course making an inbound firewall rule on 22
>>
>>52708144
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>52709578
Supposedly to offer ootb including straightforward key auth, and also using Windows crypto libraries instead of ported Linux crypto code.

Worth it? Meh, not enough for me to switch back.
>>52709597
If that's the case, great. Now they just need to divorce graphics mode from the kernel startup and we can have true headless.
>>
>>52709597
Also you can see an example of them SSHing into a Windows box to run Powershell
https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/wiki/ssh.exe-examples
>>
>>52709622
>divorce graphics mode from the kernel startup
I wonder how dificult that might be, considering Windows stopped being a GUI over command line shell with NT
>>
>>52709597
Phew, and I thought MS was really off their rocker by just porting the client.

Still, Linux/UNIX folk won't move due to this, but I imagine people using RDM not being all too enthusiastic learning SSH
>>
>>52709693
>RDP*
>>
>>52709693
I mean, any windows admin knows Powershell, so all they would have to learn to do is connect using SSH
>>
>>52708032
I spend more time in a shell in cygwin on windows than I do on linux
>>
>>52709738
>any windows admin knows Powershell
any windows admin worth their salt*
>>
>>52709738
They know powershell, but do they know how to fully administer a system with JUST powershell? Does some software even have a command line? That's the issue, Windows tries very hard to get you to use the GUI
>>
>>52709806
Yeah, that's true

They have been working on that recently, but some shit still doesn't have a proper PS equivalent
>>
>>52709806
>>52709835
I can say for damn sure that windows server will always require rdp. One of the biggest users of windows server, oil and gas, doesn't even have software amenable to cli/powershell control. Windows-specific stuff like domain controllers and exchange servers, etc, have been remote manageable for a decade. That's never been the problem.
>>
>>52709960
Issue is that its:

Slower
Not automatable

That's the beauty of CLI, not l33t haxa skills because you typed a bunch of scary looking floating text, but being easily automatized.
>>
>>52708703
Bu-but wine!
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.