[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Debate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

File: Mac_PC_Linux.jpg (101KB, 720x630px) Image search: [Google]
Mac_PC_Linux.jpg
101KB, 720x630px
>>
>>52653259
people who claim macs are good for design must really not use industry standard adobe software.

which is extremely buggy with print sized documents on macs.
>>
>OSX
>inexpensive
its free you faggot
>>
I use GNU/Linux because the acceptance by fat neckbeards on /g/ fills the emotional void created by my abusive parents during my childhood.
>>
>>52653259
>osx
>intuitive
>maximize doesn't maximize
>fullscreen doesn't fullscreen
>close doesn't close
>minimize does, in fact, minimize
>have to pay for an app in order to delete or move files from the file manager
ok breh
>>
>>52653287
osx can only be legally obtained with an apple desktop product, which have a reputation for being expensive

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X
>>
>>52653317
Install Gentoo.
>>
What I don't get is why mac's are so good for all of this media creation shit.

As far as I know, this is just a stereotype made up by the array hipsters who use macs.

Could you give me any evidence that it is better on mac?
>>
>>52653280
Adobe software is in general outdated.
Look at the standards editors on OS X use, with version history, full screen support, etc.
Then look at Adobe Photoshop CC, the 'leader' in image editing, and it lacks all of these basic functions.

If only Adobe bought over Pixelmator and implemented it into Photoshop...
>>
>>52653326
>i am a stupid windblows user
you do know nothing you said is true?
>>
>>52653259
>practically any hardware
Ubuntu crashes with my nvidia 750 gti, have tried every possible solution available online and noveau drivers cause screen tear, anybody got a solution?
>>
>>52653259
Actually a non-autistic comparison. Wow.

Maybe not the "intuitive" part of OS X, but otherwise spot on.

I'm amazed. gg /g/
>>
>>52653399
Nice try machomo, but everything I said is 100% true and homOSeX is the only OS that does that.
>>
>>52653400
Yes. Stop being braindead. Absolute pure PEBKAC guaranteed.
>>
>>52653434
but you don't have to use any 3rd-party app to access and edit the filesystem
>>
>>52653375
Nope, because you're right. OSX has nothing that would make it better for media editing than other system, it's stereotype made up by Mac users desperately trying to find some niche for it.
>>
>>52653481
>backpedaling this hard
>still being wrong
>>
>>52653434
Let me clarify

>>maximize doesn't maximize
It recently got replaced by "Full Screen", which is more useful in most cases, if you want to maximize (which is called Zoom) hold option (alt or ⌥) while clicking on the green button to get the "plus".

>>fullscreen doesn't fullscreen
full screen in fact does full screen, look at pic related.
>>close doesn't close
It closes the window, it's a different mindset than windows, yeah, but you can wish to close a window rather than to close a program, this can be useful for cases like closing a document and opening a new document, or when you are downloading a file in a web browser, you can safely close the window without having the download interrupted. To quit an application you can use a shortcut or go to the taskbar or dock.
>>minimize does, in fact, minimize
Yes, nice of you to state this.
>>have to pay for an app in order to delete or move files from the file manager
I literally can not comprehend what you are saying here, you have full control over the file system for every app, unless it's the OS' system files, which you can gain access to with some terminal trickery.
>>
>>52653526
>switching to a different workspace and blanking is fullscreen
>changing the window size to 40% of the screen height and 90% of width is maximizing
Macfags everyone! At least you admitted to being a complete cuck.
>>
>>52653558
>switching to a different workspace and blanking is fullscreen
oh sure, i guess its nicer to have your other windows scattered under the full screen program, instead of opening a different space, again, this is just a different mind set and has no disadvantages.

>changing the window size to 40% of the screen height and 90% of width is maximizing
what? it covers the whole screen width and height (minus the task bar and dock if they are visible, but you can hide both)
>>
>>52653492
I'm not that other guy
>>
>>52653618
>i-it's just a d-d-different mindset
Apex irl lols.
>>
>>52653259
osx:
>intuitive: not its not
>easy to use interface: nope, shit is hidden as fuck and no casual shortcuts work. no right mouse click

garbage os, never been so annoyed by any os, even vista was better
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-01-27 13.49.43.png (944KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-01-27 13.49.43.png
944KB, 2880x1800px
>>52653670
>no right mouse click
>>
>>52653434
>>52653326
can confirm it really is that shitty
apps cant be minimized or closed, you can only move them away from your screen to the side of the screen but not close this shit.
>>
>>52653670
>osx is known for its global shortcuts throughout all programs, ok mostly dont use ctrl but cmd instead, but you can change all of them to your liking
>has had right mouse click for ages, even gives you the option to richt click with ctrl + click
>>
>>52653375
I once read somewhere that Adobe software on Windows wasn't up to par with OS X version (either buggy or poor performance), but that was ages ago. And by ages, I mean more than a decade.
Must be a stereotype from the 90s. It really isn't better in any way nowadays.
>>
>>52653690
>control+click = rmc
>>
>>52653813
>using a mouse with a right mouse button = rmc
>clicking with two fingers on a touchpad = rmc
>control+click = rmc
seems like osx has more ways to right click than any other os.
>>
>>52653862
>macfags are literally this retarded
>>
>>52653259
Delete this thread/image RIGHT NOW... It is spreading false informations. Disgusting.
>>
>>52653385
wait version history? that's actually p-cool
but my WD backup drive technically keeps up to 15 "out-dated" copies.

and photoshop runs full screen and what not, does it not on a mac?

i had to use macs in college, my inDesign work was fine on my desktop, but crashed all the macs in class trying to display it, shit was always buggy as fuck on OSX.
>>
>>52653943
Yes, osx supports version history, locally it keeps every version of the document as long as there is enough storage on the main drive (with time machine this also gets saved to a different drive), you can revert to any version by going to file, you can even have a 'time machine' view with the current and older versions side by side and compare them, before reverting back to that version.

It has the full screen option with continuously pressing the 'f' key, theres a function in osx to bring applications that are in full screen to a new desktop.
>>
>>52653484
Thanks for the clarification
>>
Linux is also best for large-scale operations with a need for interoperability. And like any OS, you can run any program including programs for filmmaking, graphic design, and music editing.
>>
File: 12323463435.png (111KB, 1405x1401px) Image search: [Google]
12323463435.png
111KB, 1405x1401px
>>52653259
>>
>>52654107
Working computer with malware you mean.
>>
>>52654136
XD
>>
>OP tries to have a civil discussion
>windows fanboys immediately make this a war against everything, coming up with assumptions instead of facts
>tfw most of /g/ is now grown up /v/ and normies
>>
>>52653287
>OSX
>Inexpensive
It's the most expensive option out there. You are required to buy apple hardware to have a license to it.
>>
>>52655116
Read the bit above it.

OS X isn't expensive at all, but the hardware (i.e. the section above) is.
>>
>>52653888
>i can't refute the point i'm replying to
>i'll just call them retarded macfags
>yeah that'll get 'em
>>
File: worst-mice-in-history.jpg (149KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
worst-mice-in-history.jpg
149KB, 610x457px
>>52653862
seems like osx has more crutches to make up for no right click than any other os
>>
>>52653385
>cherry picking on fringe, negligible features
>ignoring what made Photoshop the industry standard

kek ok macfag
>>
>>52654136
>Working computer with malware you mean.

At least it's working
>>
>>52653259
>windows
>practically any hardware
are you fucking serious?
>>
>>52656446
osx has had support for mice with right click for a long while, if you only use a mouse with one button you can't be mad that it doesn't have a right button, since you can easily just attach one that does have a right button.
in this case osx does not represent the single button apple mice.
Also, let me clarify that the latest models of apple mice have had a right click option, even the ones with only one button, they used a method to determine if you pressed down on the right side of the mouse.
>>
>>52655116
You can get parts that are Hackintosh compatible, buy a Snow Leopard DVD, and go from there. Supposedly legally grey, but Apple hasn't sent the people who make Clover a C&D yet.

Personally I tried it twice and I can't force myself to like the OSX interface no matter what.
>>
>>52656503
Oh, ok then, what you're saying is that as long as Windows doesn't have these features, Adobe shouldn't feel obliged to update Photoshop with more modern Post Anno 2015 features. Thank you Windows, for lagging behind the pack.
>>
>>52656556
>osx has had support for mice with right click since its first release.
Fixed.
Actually, 2-button mice were supported in Classic MacOS 8.0 (IE pre-OSX.)
>>
>>52656559
>Personally I tried it twice and I can't force myself to like the OSX interface no matter what.
Your autism and lack of adaptability has been noted.
Do not expect to reproduce.
>>
It's not a debate. They all have difference use cases.

MAC: Idiots
Linux: Servers
Windows: Games

Computers are not for doing work.
>>
>>52653259
>Mac
>Good ever

I would never use Macshit or Wangblows. When I look at CP, peeps will spy on me.
>>
>>52657153
>Computers are not for doing work.
>>>/v/
>>
>>52653259
>debate
if you need foo for work, etc., use whichever os supports foo
if you are a faggot, use mac
if you are a gamer, use windows
otherwise, use linux
>>
>>52653862

all of the above works on my loonix
Shift + f10 works too for u ?
>>
>>52653994

how nice , all my files will never get deleted
>>
>>52653317
Me too buddy! Except I use it because I find programing easier with Linux. And I think half of g uses Windows. But I was beat by my step father a lot so I guess we have that in common.
>>
>>52657801
I'm a Linux gamer and this triggers me.

Seriously though, I love Valve.
>>
>>52657801
>otherwise, use linux
That explains the <2%.
>>
>>52658250
just because it's right doesn't mean people do it
>>
>>52653259
I use robots a lot, should I switch to linux?
>>
>>52653259
>linux
>easy to upgrade
>>
>>52658515
pacman -Syu

Done
>>
File: biggest fan of steve jobs.jpg (46KB, 1001x495px) Image search: [Google]
biggest fan of steve jobs.jpg
46KB, 1001x495px
>>52653375
It still got software that windows dont have but aside that its just an x86 machine that run a unix like without the customization that you could get on loonix because that would imply that Steve Jobs can be wrong.
>>
File: abbath gettu.jpg (207KB, 800x563px) Image search: [Google]
abbath gettu.jpg
207KB, 800x563px
>>52658539

This.
>>
>>52653259
>magic part of the machine
are you retarded?
>>
File: typical mac user.gif (225KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
typical mac user.gif
225KB, 180x180px
>>52660304
The language is tailored so mac users can understand it.
>>
>>52658539
>having to type in an obscure command line phrase
>50-50 chance your system will break and fail to boot
>>
>>52653400
>Ubuntu crashes with my nvidia 750 gti, have tried every possible solution available online and noveau drivers cause screen tear, anybody got a solution?
Yeah. Don't use nVidia on linux.
[wh000 my R9nano just arrived today, will be replacing a 6770]
>>
>>52658539
>Implying i'm using pacman
>Implying i'm not using portage
>>
>>52657991
>I find programing easier with Linux
The reason I dual boot. If you're not working with Visual Studio, Windows can be a pain for developing.
>>
File: g.png (44KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
g.png
44KB, 661x716px
>>52653259
>Grand debate
>Reasonable comparison
>Thread turns to poo in loo shilling
>>
>>52660385
>obscure
>50-50 chance
>>>out
get.
Seriously, leave /g/, forever. We would like the board better without you.
>>
>>52661543
Leave some of it to us, you won't eat it all by yourself
>>
>>52653375
I'm an oldfag, and this goes way back to the 80's. Back then PC's were shit running dos programs, and macs were dominating desktop publishing market with their graphical desktop OS.
Windows was pretty far behind for quite awhile.
>>
>>52653259
You can make a mac yourself from parts, hell you could have all these operating systems installed and switch between them. See tonymacx86 for help.
All the osx hardware is wrong on your pic.
Also your Best for section is pointless as they all do what each can, it's especially so for osx and linux which are almost functionally the same.
>>52653338
>osx can only be legally obtained with an apple desktop product
no you just need an itunes account, or use a friends, download the os and put it on a usb drive.
It's free. as in it costs nothing but the time it takes to create an itunes account if you can't find one to use.
>>
>>52653375
>Could you give me any evidence that it is better on mac?

Having Display PostScript/PDF (aka Quartz) as a native component of the OS is one hell of an advantage for 2D print media.

Aside from true WYSIWYG, I've written custom applications for a printing company that had to run on OS X because running on Windows would have required licensing expensive libraries and a shit ton more programming. By contrast the operations that had to be applied to press ready PDFs were simple to code on OS X.
>>
>>52653618
>oh sure, i guess its nicer to have your other windows scattered under the full screen program, instead of opening a different space, again, this is just a different mind set and has no disadvantages.

For normie users it's better to full screen to a new space.

For an autist like me who has a predefined number of spaces, every single one with a hot key, it fucking sucks that I can't go full screen to the a space of my choosing.
>>
>>52653862
all werks o loonix too m8
and i have a clipboard without needing to use my keyboard. i just highlight text then middle-click into a textbox to past, a luxury mac-fags and win-fags will likely never know

:^)
>>
>>52660385
nah it's style points.
most of all linuxs come wih updaters. the one for mint is cash, and it speciffically avoidsany breaking updates. and 17.3 means now it will automatically select the fastest repositories and tell you when your cache has stopped responding to pings and you need to switch repos

linux breaking or the shell being relevant are memes
>>
>>52653259
>Linux
>robots
heh, no.
>>
File: maximise.webm (544KB, 1764x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maximise.webm
544KB, 1764x1080px
>>52653618
yeah.. sure
>>
>>52653280
Design student here. Many people use Macs because they are "cool", not because they are good for design (it isn't, same shit as windows).
Also, it's mostly graphic design students, since they only do comparatively lightweight stuff on the adobe suite. Product design students must use windows whether they like it or not, because CAD and renderer options are vastly better, so even the ones that have macs need bootcamp/parallels. Also, it's hilarious to see macfags take many hours to finish a rendering that my Xeon E3 mITX desktop finishes in less than 30 minutes.
>>
File: trains.png (35KB, 599x301px) Image search: [Google]
trains.png
35KB, 599x301px
>>52653259
>linux is tough to learn
wew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PTQVeCF9k

The Windows 8/8.1/10 snafu, the exploding popularity of ChromeOS and Steam's flirtation with Linux boxes have got a lot of people finally taking Linux distros seriously. However you feel about them, distros like Elementary and Ubuntu look clean and unintimidating, which is massively important to get people to switch.

Mac users exist in a bubble, but Windows users aren't anywhere near as attached to their OS as they were back XP or 7's long heydays. Google docs has supplanted Microsoft Office and there's always a way to run something on Linux.

They will switch.
>>
>>52664311
>They will switch.

>windows still preinstalled on 99.999% of pcs

They won't.
>>
>>52663818
>Robots
>Winkek 10
Sure, prajeet
>>
>>52664334
>They won't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wflgtm0Tds0
>>
>>52663970
>not knowing that Mac Pros have Xeons
>not knowing how much of a pain in the ass monitor calibration is on Windows
>not knowing Maya and Autocad are on Mac
>>
>>52664376
robots have dedicated operating system that run in real time unlike any of what op listed and fyi most of the development is done on your very passionately hated windows by non-pajeets (because they don't speak any of the relevant languages)
>>
>>52657153
>Computers are not for doing work.
?
>>
>>52653888
I use Debian but you don't know shit about mac.
>>
>>52653375
Since they all use the same hardware, color correction is simplified and easier.
>>
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137391223711946&w=2
>I simply don't believe in being polite or politically correct.

Reminder that Linus is based as fuck.
>>
>>52653375
It's not necessarily better on mac, just a hell of lot of creatives use macs for some reason

Also there's a large number of CS gods that use macs, which is good enough reason for me to join them (aside from really liking the platform and hardware)

https://usesthis.com/interviews/rob.pike/
https://usesthis.com/interviews/stephen.wolfram/
https://usesthis.com/interviews/james.gosling/
https://usesthis.com/interviews/brian.kernighan/
https://usesthis.com/interviews/john.resig/
https://usesthis.com/interviews/aaron.swartz/
>>
>>52665566
Checked.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.