[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Status: BROKEN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 19

File: Tux.jpg (41KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.jpg
41KB, 800x600px
"Why don't more people use Linux? You can even run Windows applications in WINE! Even video games! You're out of excuses, use Linux!"

I've been a die-hard Linux fan since 2009. And I'm going back to Windows.

The latest League update 100% broke compatibility with WINE and Linux. Starting a game yields absolutely nothing. Clicking the system tray icon, even less than a second after (re)launching the game, yields a 'game abandoned' screen, offering to launch into... nothingness.

Really stable shit you got here, folks. Awesome operating system. Absolutely astounding how stable and usable it is.

And don't give me that "there's paid support if you look for it" bullshit. I even offered over 1,500 people $100 to anybody who could get it working. No takers. And do you honestly think Red Hat will support League? HA!

Enjoy your no market share. Peace.
>>
hahahaha games, nobody took your offer because nobody cares.
>>
>>52624844
$100 for some neckbeard to spend 5 minutes configuring whatever horseshit? Sounds to me like the application itself matters not. League or OpenOffice, $100 is $100.

I never asked for anybody to care. I just presented the following point: Linux does not run the applications consumers demand, and so it will never attain any appreciable desktop market share.
>>
>>52624873
League is for middle school fags get off g
>>
>>52624892

Linux is for neckbeards with nothing but time to waste on a buggy incomplete system. Get off /earth/.
>>
Nice pasta but league has worked perfectly in wine for years.
Sagetta.
>>
>>52624920

Sounds like you're about to many an easy $100!

Unless, of course, you're wrong.
>>
>>52624910
Tell that to my $60K salary for administering Linux systems.
>>
>>52624892
>NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52624809
This post reeks of /v/. Why is it here? So you can't run your shit game on another OS that it was developed for. Better blame the other OS for it and do it on 4chan. Good thinking, that should solve it.

>And don't give me that "there's paid support if you look for it" bullshit. I even offered over 1,500 people $100 to anybody who could get it working. No takers. And do you honestly think Red Hat will support League? HA!
I don't even know what this was. Are you trying to hire "some neckbeard" to fix it for you even when they have nothing to do with the developing company? That's not support. If he had anything to do with the company then it would be supported. Now it's just hacking.
>>
>>52624949
Those systems are servers, right? Running server applications, like a web server, storage server, a DNS server, maybe even a virtualization... server?

How many desktops do you oversee, that run desktop Linux?
>>
>>52624970
Servers, yes. We also have a fleet of about 60 workstations running CentOS.
>>
>>52624969

I was hopefully looking for someone like >>52624920

who is absolutely, positively, convinced that League works 100% no problems whatsoever on this trash heap you call an operating system.

And prove him wrong.
>>
>>52624991
And how many of those would you say run Windows applications in WINE, CodeWeavers, or PlayOnLinux?
>>
>>52625024
They don't. This is a scientific research facility, they only use the workstations for analytical and documentation tools.
>>
>>52625054
The perfect environment for Linux!

Consumers, on the other hand... They actually want to use their computers.
>>
>>52625077
I run GNU/Linux on my desktop at home.
Sure, I might not play LoL, but I can play other games just fine (ie. DOTA2, Metro 2033, etc.).

I've never encountered a problem with GNU/Linux on the desktop that didn't take more than 5 minutes of Google-fu to fix.
>>
>>52625007
He might use or know someone who uses Linux to play it and it works perfectly. It's pretty fucking unlikely that you both have the same distro, same hardware and same drivers. You might not even have the same version of WINE. If it doesn't work in your case it's not a checkmate for you to yell how it can't possibly work on anyone's machine. That's why developers need to support things, so the range gets bigger.
>>
Use Linux For web browsing, grey hat, black hat and anything you dont want the NSA to be arresting you for.

Use windows for videogames and white hat areas'

Run 2 computers man,
simple solution.
>>
Get a console and use Linux for its real purpose - productivity.
>>
If you've been using Linux for 5+ years yet are still willing to switch to Windows over a single game breaking you probably never realized why Linux is better in the first place.
>>
>>52625216
Soooo, piss away my investment in high end hardware, because Linux can't run a simple video game?

I'd hate to see how it handles an actual workload...
>>
>>52625240
>My investment
You mean your father's.

>Simple
>Video game
You've got a lot to learn, kid.
>>
>>52625266
I live alone, am 23 years old, and paid for this with my own money I earned administering Linux servers?
>>
>>52625278
>my own money I earned administering Linux servers
Sure you did.
What certifications do you have?
>>
>>52625240
Linux can handle simple video games, it can even handle complex video games. There's even a chance that it runs video games that were never made for it.

If you think Linux can't handle actual workload you should educate yourself on supercomputer top list and what OS they run. Linux has practically no limits when you actually want to do something with your hardware. The only limits come from developers. You can ask developers to support Linux or create a similar game for Linux. Linux isn't handcuffing you.
>>
>>52625296
A+, Network+
>>
>>52624844
He's right, though.

If you want to interoperate with the real world, sooner or later linux will betray you.
>>
>>52625313
That's been my point the whole time. I don't want to go back to Windows. I'm just sick of my colleagues braying on with "Gah why don't you people just use Linux gall". It's not a fucking be all end all.

So stop pushing desktop users onto Linux! For this purpose, it's horribly broken!
>>
>>52624949
>$60k
Barely middle class desu
>>
>>52624809
All I hear are the tears of a man too stupid to dual boot. Its not fucking hard faggot.
>>
>>52625346
Okay, and then I have to close everything and open everything back up pre and post game. Hardly seems fair.
>>
>>52625357
1. Setup VGA passthrough
2. Play video games at full speed in VM
3. ...
4. Realize vidya is waste of time
>>
>>52625357
Or you fucking install Windows on a separate partition like someone who has a basic understanding of computers and stop whining that your hacky Windows wrapper doesn't work
>>
>>52625415
>Rebooting
What is this, the seventies?
>>
>>52625392
A VM isn't a dual boot, now is it?

Why would I bother with any of that when I can just install Windows and have a machine guaranteed to work the first time, every time, no questions asked and with no bullshit?

Nerd cred? No thanks! My time is far too valuable.
>>
>>52625077
Video games aren't for normal people. They are for manchildren.
>>
>>52624809
>WINE
You never had any justification of using Linux, normiecuck
>>
>>52625423
>SSD
What is this, 2016?
>>
>>52625440
So that's it then? "My elitist OS won't run it so it must not be worth running"
>>
>>52625423
Computers were rebooted less then than they are now retard
>>
>>52625440
>no fun allowed
>>
>>52625440
>They are for manchildren.

Linux on the other hand...
>>
>>52624809
OK Prajiito-san...
>>
>>52625492
Keeps the world spinning.
>>
File: that is why you fail.gif (2MB, 500x546px) Image search: [Google]
that is why you fail.gif
2MB, 500x546px
>>52625455
>>52625467
>>
>>52625440
>linuxfags are so deluded they actually believe this
maybe people would like you more if you loosened up and did something spontaneous once in a while
>>
This entire thread is a wonderful example of what the open source community calls "community support", where you are chastised for not searching. When you prove that you did search, you are chastised for daring to run an application not blessed personally by RMS. When you point out that this is ridiculous, you're simply assumed to be unintelligent for not being willing to debug the fucking kernel to run a video game you play when you get off work to fucking unwind.
>>
>>52625505
>Keeps the world spinning.

Of course
>>
>>52625554
They are just a bunch of sexless autists, what do you expect? I make fun of them, it's my new hobby.
>>
>>52625554
He's being chastised for writing off an entire OS because an instance of WINE isn't behaving how he wants.
>>
>>52625632
Huh. Sounds like Linux needs a little work before it can hope to compete in the marketplace!
>>
>>52625433
>A VM isn't a dual boot, now is it?
Correct, that was the whole point.

>Why would I bother with any of that when I can just install Windows and have a machine guaranteed to work the first time, every time, no questions asked and with no bullshit?
If the computer is for windows gaming, then Linux is terrible choice.
If the computer is for anything else, then windows is a terrible choice.
I have a feeling you want to plays windows games.

Go directly to jail. Do not install gentoo. Do not collect $200.
>>
>>52625554
>Community support for "Waah my game isn't working, I will give no details! Linux sucks you guys!"
Go rub your crystal ball and see how to fix that. Except that OP didn't ask for it to be fixed, it was just a blog post about video games. What was the support for, again? GPU passthrough and dual booting was still mentioned as a tip from /g/ anons. Woah, that really makes you look like a moron. Good thing you are anonymous.
>>
>>52625632
>He's being chastised for writing off an entire OS because an instance of WINE isn't behaving how he wants.

Linux is brittle as fuck
>>
>>52625653
One. One Windows video game. The rest all have Linux binaries.

So your solution is to duct tape some VM fuckery or heaven forbid dual boot for one game?

Typical Linux engineer solution. "it works but you gotta configure this and tweak that and download this and sacrifice that to this daemon with that pentagram"
>>
>>52625689
>One. One Windows video game. The rest all have Linux binaries.
There is only one game remaining that lacks a Linux binary? Saints be praised!
>>
>>52625689
>So your solution is to duct tape some VM fuckery or heaven forbid dual boot for one game?
>Typical Linux engineer solution. "it works but you gotta configure this and tweak that and download this and sacrifice that to this daemon with that pentagram"
It is more insidious than that. VGA passthrough is so painful and hackery, that by the time you get it running, the desire for video games will have passed.
>>
Why do my games go at 5 fps on Linux and like 120 FPS in Windows? I have a GTX 980.
>>
>>52625689
Your options for playing a Windows-only game:

1. Try to run it in Linux like the rest of your software and hope it works anyway, even though it's Windows-only

2. Install Windows on dual boot for that one game

3. Install Windows on VM for that one game

4. Wipe everything and replace it with Windows for that one game

5. Stop playing that one game

BONUS OPTION: Ask developers if they could make a Linux version of that one game
>>
>>52625689

Just run windows like sane poeple
>>
File: 1384874416487.png (701KB, 475x375px) Image search: [Google]
1384874416487.png
701KB, 475x375px
>>52624809
>switched to linux in order to play a game in wine
LOL
Wincucked to the MAX!
>>
>>52624809
>The latest League update 100% broke compatibility with WINE and Linux.
That's the fault of the League developers.
>>
>>52624809

>I've been a die-hard Linux fan since 2009. And I'm going back to Windows.
>die-hard
>peace

Heh. Definitely not bait.
>>
>>52624809
Switch to dota?
>>
>>52625077
>Research maxing out the computers power with calculations
>Not really using their computer.

In all seriousness, you're complaining about a windows program not running in Linux.

It's impressive wine works at all.

There are plenty of games on linux, and it's not the fault of the OS that League doesn't release a port.
>>
>>52627037
>It's impressive wine works at all.
This, it's insane how Wine works better than Windows in older stuff, it really has improved a lot in the last years
>>
File: 1453105700405.png (147KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453105700405.png
147KB, 300x300px
tfw switching betwen linux and windows periodically only to play games on windows
i literally can't find another windows usage
>>
>>52624809
League sucks anyway. MOBAs suck. Shit, video gaming sucks.

Just don't play video games, if you can help it. If you must, get a console or handheld and play with your friends.

PC gaming is dead.
>>
daily reminder that all of /g/ is cancer, no exceptions
>>
>>52624809
League Of Legends developers don't even know how to make a patch. If you figure patches are giant and they get serious regressions all the time.
>>
>>52624809
>>Die hard linux fan
>>Tries to fix things via "clicking"
ahahahahaha
>>
>>52624809
> I installed Linux to play Windows games

I am so fucking tired of telling retards like you not to do this... You shouldn't have installed Linux in the first place you artistically retarded nigger.
>>
File: sexually_broken.png (102KB, 681x406px) Image search: [Google]
sexually_broken.png
102KB, 681x406px
I switched over to windows 7 from ubuntu about a month ago. You're doing the right thing OP, linux has always been and always will be a half baked OS. We've literally waited over 10 years for this shit to improve and very little has changed.

It wasn't easy for me and I wish linux would magically get better but we all know that shit's never gonna happen.
>>
Meh...
>>
>>52627283
this. the only thing i use winblows for is itunes, games, and unreal editor
>>
Windows sucks because it can't run my Wii U games, and even Wii and Gamecube games won't run without a 3rd party emulator. What a piece of shit.
>>
>>52627641
No, not meh you faggot. We need to fix linux. It doesn't have to be like this.
>>
>>52627658
How much is Microsoft paying you?
>>
>>52627283

Same here.

I use Windows for games and music production software. Linux for everything else. I would like to explore music production possibilities on Linux, but there's no way it can come close to what Windows offers.
>>
>>52627654

this is bait
>>
>>52624809
Why are you expecting a Windows game to work on Linux, like why is something not made for Linux supposed to be guaranteed to run through Wine. Linux does what it's supposed to do, and it does it really well. If LoL is so important, then go ahead and use Windows, but don't act like it's your OS's fault that something non-native doesn't run. If LoL had a Linux port, it'd run fine.
>>
>>52627654
OP BTFO
>>
>>52627377
PC gaming is not entirely dead.
The only thing that interest me is the story.
Anything besides that is dead to me.
> MOBA
Nope. I lost interest in it.
>>
File: 1451442671670.gif (460KB, 294x210px) Image search: [Google]
1451442671670.gif
460KB, 294x210px
>>52624809
If you're trying to run Windows programs on Linux, then you should probably reevaluate the reason you're using Linux in the first place.
>>
>>52627725
This is the exact same logic as op.
>>
Sure, Linux doesn't have the support of the game industry.

More of a circle, IMO.
>game companies see making games for Linux is too much hassle without alot of benefit, so they make for windows, and maybe os x.
>people see games are being made for windows so they use windows because more developers make for windows.

Fortunetly, Valve is trying to break that circle by introducing Steam to Linux. If they succeed, and the Linux community supports this, developers might consider building to Linux as well.

Just needs a bit of time.
>>
File: happy_nippon_man.jpg (50KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
happy_nippon_man.jpg
50KB, 300x451px
>>52627621
>We've literally waited over 10 years for this shit to improve and very little has changed.
>>
>>52624809
Good job if this is bait.

If not, you are fucking retarded. Go use windows to play your games. Your games compatibility with an OS has nothing to do with its performance or stability. People make games for the OS the OS doesn't make itself for the games. Go download microbone-bonzibuddy10 edition and enjoy your Gayming experience.
>>
>>52627621
Genuinely Curious, what kind of change were you expecting?
>>
>>52624809
running WINE has never worked properly, you liar. You have always been a winbaby
>>
>>52624809
>LoL released a shitty update and doesnt support linux
>linux is broken
>>
File: 1452141486474.jpg (700KB, 1053x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1452141486474.jpg
700KB, 1053x1070px
>>52624809
>Crying about gaymen
>windows programs dont run in linux, so linux sux
>offering to throw money at neckbeards to fix it for you
>>
>Leaving Linux because a shitty game developer writes shitty code

top loo leh
>>
Why the fuck would we care what some stupid LoL playing riot cuckfag thinks?
>>
>>52627658
Works for me. I guess it just adjust to the user.
>>
Then stop playing vidya you manbabby.
>>
>>52625554
Thanks rush
>>
This doesn't belong here.
>>>/v/
>>
>>52625572
>my hobby is making fun of people on the internet
>they're the losers I swear
>>
>>52624809
the fact that you quit GNU/Linux over LoL Is fucking pitiful.

Looks like someone has a video game addiction.
>>
>>52624809
Did you fall for the Arch meme?
>>
>>52624809
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/League_of_Legends
>>
>>52624873
>implying the OS should support programs and not the other way around.
The programs you want to run are not made to be run on linux, THAT is the problem and the program developers have to fix that.
>>
>>52624809
Why not just play Dota 2 natively on linux, you shitter.
>>
>>52625777
Because you're using the open source (noveau or something) drivers and not the proprietary nvidia drivers.
>>
I like how Lintards shift focus onto "vidya" while what OP said might apply to literally any software.
>>
>>52629487
Name us a piece of software that might not work with wine then.
>>
>>52629528
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse+Applications&iItemsPerPage=25&iPage=1&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true
:^)
>>
>>52629528
Basically any Adobe software and most music production stuff.
>>
if windows or osx were open source (fully) i wouldn't be using linux.

linux is objectively worse than both--but I don't like nsa botnet etc.

you'd have to be in some pretty serious denial to believe otherwise. Case in point: every new tech that's being integrated into linux has existed for years on win/osx.
>>
>>52629582
Photoshop works, which Adobe programs have you tried personally?
>>
>>52624809
>paying 1500 * 100 dollars to get a game to work on Linux
>>
>>52629689
>linux is objectively worse than both
No, it CAN be pretty good when maintained by serious people with sense of purpose rather than /g/. Just look at RHEL and supercomputers.
>>
>>52629704
After Effects does not. Well, it works like fucking garbage anyway but at least it works. Sorta.
Fucking Adobe.
>>
>>52625433
>My time is far too valuable.

So valuable you spend it shitposting on /g/ because you don't want to use an operating system that is not designed for someone like you to use in the first place.
>>
Why don't Riot learn from fucking blizzard? Every game of theirs work flawlessly on wine, and LoL works like a piece of shit. Even if they ever port LoL to linux, I'm 100% sure it'll be a fucking wrapper.
>>
>>52629689
Disagree, I have been using all three of them for many many years, they're all the fucking same.
>>
Most adobe products don't work. Photoshop just barely works, but it's slow as hell, and crashes a lot. It's a nightmare to setup too. And 64 bit doesn't work.

Wine is crap except for older software or certain software which isn't really integrated with other software, or with windows itself.

Nothing professional works with wine. Case in point: Adobe CC. CS6 collection (which is getting quite old, and many artists/clients don't use it anymore) doesn't even work--apart from a very flaky photoshop 32bit.

I could go on and on, but it's not like anyone in here actually has a job producing actual real world tangible things.
>>
>>52629721
At least you're smarter than OP and you blame Adobe for not supporting something. I don't get what goes on in his mind.
>>
>>52629750

Diablo 3 has some known issues (e.g., cursor can fuck up for nvidia users on multi-monitor setup and HotS is known to have horrendous frame rate on some setups regardless of settings, but Blizzard does pretty good.

SC2, WoW, HS and their old games play really well with no extra config.
>>
>>52629758
I do and I avoid Photoshop like the plague. It is yet another tool that corporations use to stifle individual artists and seek out a portion of their profits.
>>
>>52629762
Oh, OP is a retard for sure.
Last time I checked Wine did not provide any warranties.
>>
Linux on the desktop is about 10 years behind.

Systemd copy of (mac) launchd
Wayland compositos copy of DisplayPS, or more recently Quartz.
Audio (all of it) is crap. OSX and Windows have worked correctly with audio forever, including auto-switching audio out.
GUI tools are still a joke. Pinning OOP on top of C in gnome--just wow, shit, MUI on amiga was doing that 20 years ago. QT at least is semi modern, although everyone seems to think its somehow less desirable than gnome/etc.

And so on. It's a joke, but I still use linux because it's open.

I'm mainly waiting for Haiku or AROS to mature enough for day-to-day use.
>>
>>52629798
>Windows have worked correctly with audio forever
MUH LATENCY
>>
>>52629798
>Systemd copy of (mac) launchd
It really isn't, you obviously know nothing about either....

>Wayland compositos copy of DisplayPS, or more recently Quartz.
Nobody except Wayland developers use Wayland

>Audio (all of it) is crap. OSX and Windows have worked correctly with audio forever, including auto-switching audio out.
This is the only thing true
>>
>>52629798
>thinks Linux desktop isn't mature enough
>is waiting for Haiku or AROS
12 / 10 bait
>>
File: EYWRa52.jpg (143KB, 1206x678px) Image search: [Google]
EYWRa52.jpg
143KB, 1206x678px
>>52625440
say that to me and my girlfriend
>>
Obviously it's the OS's fault the manufacturer of the software does not support it.
>>
>>52629812
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems

yeah, they aren't similar AT ALL.
derp.

I've adminned osx/mac and linux and bsd servers longer than you've likely been alive, kid.
>>
>>52629865
>Got snowed in with the GF over the weekend with this east coast blizzard. We resorted to borderlands and cereal the whole time, it was a blast. Perfect weekend IMO
ayy
>>
>>52629871
>yeah, they aren't similar AT ALL.

No, it's really not. That comparison is too generic... For fuck's sake, according to it upstart is fucking similar to systemd....
>>
>>52629824
Haiku and AROS have features that linux STILL doesn't have (that are stable).

For instance MUI/Zune as a unified system API in AROS, BeAPI in the case of haiku, multithreading gui apps as a first class feature, not a bolt-on, GUI as a first-class UI, not a bolt-on and so on and so forth. Not to mention low latency audio/video etc.

Don't even get me started on X11/Xorg/xlib and all the new bolt-ons. And wayland/compositors...yeah. A fucking joke.

Want proof? Get some crappy old G4 mac mini and run MorphOS on it. It's got features that are more than 20 years old that STILL make linux loook like a joke. A crappy G4 a 1ghz outperforms the audio/video of linux on a modern system. Not to mention all the features it has over linux as a desktop. But that would require some investigation on your parts, you linux zealot children. Get some fucking perspective.
Linux is the best-of-the-worst on PC hardware in the realm of openness/security--but that is IT.
>>
>>52629812
Burden of proof douchebag.
>>
>>52624809
Latest update killed the game anyway with how they destroyed ranked. Actually was the shove I needed to go linux full time.
>>
>>52624809
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
>>
>>52625777
Use the proprietary driver. Noveau is shit because nvidia doesn't release any kind of documentation and the team has to basically guess how nvidias drivers and hardware work.
>>52627645
>iTunes
Seriosly why? I used Foobar2k on windows and now use deadbeef. Just use clementine if you want something similar to iTunes. UE 4 and the editor was ported afaik and somehow works best on funtoo/gentoo.
>>52627765
That's already in the works, UE4, unity, source 1+2 and even the new cryengine (kingdom come deliverance comes out on gnu+linux) have native support now.
>>
>>52627837
I rather use windows and play games than be a faggot that rices Linux and watches anime. Nobody on /g/ who uses Linux knows technology, they're all fags.
>>
File: linuxshitdesktop.png (239KB, 814x1685px) Image search: [Google]
linuxshitdesktop.png
239KB, 814x1685px
>those spergs w/ excuses
Linux is garbage. G A R B A G E.
People only use it because it's free and because they can shitpost about it on this fucking cancerous board.

No good software exists of Linux. It's a timesink for neet nerds who want to circlejerk in desktop threads.

Once you grow up, you'll realize I am right. Windows is better for work.

Yes, deep down you know I'm right. Stop making excuses, don't even bother replying.
>>
>>52629689
I like debian better than os 10, *BSD (sorry guys) and windows and I my opinion it is better aswell.
>>
>>52629775
Another one hating on CC? I almost though I was the only one. I donate to krita, gimp and blender but am still on CS6.
>>
>>52624809
Playing games is a waste of a mind. Your complaint is invalid. Fuck off.
>>
>>52624949
almost all the sysadmins that work with me (I'm a senior dev) uses macbooks and osx as they have to get their shit done and all you need is a nix system with ssh, you can even be a linux admin using windows... also underpayed if you're living in murica
>>
>>52631625
>shills still use this even if the author uses GNU/Linux out of personal preference and stated that other OS aren't ready for the desktop either
>>
File: 1e2.gif (155KB, 255x224px) Image search: [Google]
1e2.gif
155KB, 255x224px
>>52631801
>calling it gahnoo
>>
>>52631812
>being a butthurt shill
>>
>>52631812
I don't want to confuse android faggots or special snowflake alpine users
>>
>all these angry cunts over obvious bait
>blame users instead of looking at why users complain just because users don't think like "developers" or "power users"
No wonder why Linux doesn't go anywhere in desktop space. Linux are forever deemed to be mainly for workstation and server use.
>>
>>52624809
If you wanna play games why the fuck wouldn't you use cracked Windows 7? Do you really care what some faggots on /g/ say? Linux is great for laptops imo. If you have a new system and use linux you're actually braindead retarded.
>>
>>52631839
>le shill meem xDDD
>>
Why is every single complaint about linux because of developers not making binaries of their favorite programs for linux? I'm not crying that ps4 games don't work on my PCs and nobody would take anyone serious complaining about it either. Why is it suddenly ok when winfags do it with linux/bsd/mac? You people are retarded, but gtk is too.
>>
0/10
>>
>>52631901
Retards who care about their identities more than what they actually do.
>>
>>52629708
>No, it CAN be pretty good when maintained by serious people with sense of purpose rather than /g/. Just look at RHEL and supercomputers.

Linux when it's not on the desktop is fine.
We are talking about the desktop here.
>>
File: 1453670218282.jpg (14KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1453670218282.jpg
14KB, 255x255px
>>52624809
"Why don't more people use Windows? You can even run Linux applications in Cygwin! Even video games! You're out of excuses, use Windows!"

I've been a die-hard Windows fan since 2009. And I'm going back to Linux.

The latest League update 100% broke compatibility with Cygwin and Windows. Starting a game yields absolutely nothing. Clicking the system tray icon, even less than a second after (re)launching the game, yields a 'game abandoned' screen, offering to launch into... nothingness.

Really stable shit you got here, folks. Awesome operating system. Absolutely astounding how stable and usable it is.

And don't give me that "there's paid support if you look for it" bullshit. I even offered over 1,500 people $100 to anybody who could get it working. No takers. And do you honestly think Microsoft will support League? HA!

Enjoy your market share. Peace.

1/10 bait, I replied
>>
>>52624809
>league
Yes please go and stay go
>>
>>52624809
>The latest League update 100% broke compatibility with WINE and Linux
League still works fine for me.
>>
>>52624949
How did you get your job?
Certs?
>>
>>52624949
Babysitting Linux. What a great job.
>>
>>52632119
Lying on the internet.
>>
>>52624809
>playing games on Linux
Even most Linuxfags will tell you you're stupid for doing that.
Either run Windows applications in a VM or dual boot, but otherwise accept the fact that you are using shitty hacks to get software to run in conditions it wasn't designed for and whatever associated risks come with that.
>>
>>52624809
i don't know what the fuck "league" is, but this sounds like it's the league-people's fault. from what i gathered in this thread there's also a native linux variant called dota, which wikipedia tells me was there first anyway, so why not play the original (if that is indeed the case, as i said i'm completely oblivious to any of this)?
>>
so a game made for windows suddenly broke compatibility with wine and now you are pissed?
>>
>>52632245
This is one of the most masterful baits I have ever seen.

An unironic 9/10.
>>
League of Legends: Because you suck shit at DOTA
>>
>>52625392
I actually got this working eventually, and even played LoL with it.
>mfw had to give up LoL because suck internet
Of course my ancient nVidia 7900GS wasn't doing me any favors either...
>>
You should probably just stop playing league op. Its a shit game with an even worse community and you'll come out a better person by not playing it.
>>
File: intel_vtd_diag.gif (21KB, 359x241px) Image search: [Google]
intel_vtd_diag.gif
21KB, 359x241px
Anyone here qemu gpu passthrough?
>>
>>52625345
Depends on where you live but 60k a year is great. If you're in a shitty city no amount of money can make that better. But if you're in a nice rural or even suburban area 60k can get you a nice house in a nice area without issues.
>>
>>52631893
Someone sure is triggered
>>
>>52625149
Or you know, Dual Boot
>>
File: le_thrash.jpg (8KB, 242x208px) Image search: [Google]
le_thrash.jpg
8KB, 242x208px
>>52624809
>The latest League update

How old are you, 13?
>>
File: 1450754784405.jpg (160KB, 621x932px) Image search: [Google]
1450754784405.jpg
160KB, 621x932px
>>52624910
>Die Hard Linux fan
>Linux is for neckbeards
Uhh, anon...
>>
File: owl.jpg (38KB, 413x384px) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
38KB, 413x384px
So your saying some windows game software broke when run on linux? Man its like maybe it shouldn't be written for windows in the first place then you wouldn't have to use wine to emulate bullshit software.
>>
>>52633059
i want this, but m mobo doesnt suport it. Im saving money for an upgrade.
>>
Translation

"I am a strawman! This never happened! I am making a ridiculous statement based on my preconceived notions of how Linux was going to be!"

I've had Ubuntu installed on a separate partition which I never use to feel like a 1337 h4x0r since 2009. And I've never stopped using Windows because of muh video games.

A single update gave me an excuse to remove Linux from my computer, and I'm going to justify my opinion by making a thread about how you also shouldn't use Linux based on my needs. I'm from /v/ by the way, here's my problem, please be my tech support and I'll consider gracing Linux with my presence.

Even though it's used on servers around the world, the ISS, the Darpa robotics challenge, and hollywood rendering for its stability, clearly it's unstable because of a single update that breaks software that I personally use and don't know how to fix.

And don't give me that "there's paid support if you look for it" bullshit. I don't even know how that works. No brains. And do you honestly think I know the difference between an industrial grade Operating System with experimental desktop support and a system I should actually be using for my purposes? HA!

Enjoy your appeal to popularity. I'm saying goodbye but I'm not leaving this thread because I'm butthurt.
>>
>>52630065
while this might work, the video has a very clear edit point when he starts up windows. Why even fake this?
>>
>>52632334
Not only that, he 'has been a die-hard user of linux since 2009' but this is a new and surprising turn of events for him somehow

Translation: 5 Rupees has been deposited into Pajeet's shill account
>>
>>52624809
>linux-distros suck because wine can't run every application that's made for a completely different os
>>>/v/
>>
>2016
>not using windows
you should kill yourself
>>
>>52629865
Hello you and your gilrfriend

Videogames aren't for normal people. They are for manchildren.
>>
>>52633500
>Videogames aren't for normal people. They are for manchildren.
but manchildren use linux, and linux has no games
>>
ITT: Retards who can't into virtualization.

Even BSD can play your little kid toys. You can pay people all you want (hint, they get paid more than a hundred bucks for less if they know how to debug on *nix), but you can't pay people to cure your natural stupidity and entitled attitude.
>>
>>52624809
>League
Fucking kids I swear
>>
File: 1439836472322.jpg (8KB, 272x252px) Image search: [Google]
1439836472322.jpg
8KB, 272x252px
>supporting devs that don't support linux
>>
>>52625149
> Linux
> protection from NSA

Linux has more zero days than both osx and Windows. The idea that linux is inherently secure more than windows is a myth.
>>
>>52633711
>Linux has more zero days than both osx and Windows.
Of course it does.
Within the Linux kerlen and a working GNU/Linux distribution, backdoors are considered security bugs.

On Windows and OSX, backdoors are considered privileged access and not bugs.

Therefore Linux having more 'bugs' is understandable.
>>
File: Think_for_a_moment.gif (105KB, 495x372px) Image search: [Google]
Think_for_a_moment.gif
105KB, 495x372px
>>52624809
Cool story sir, but who Linux to play games...
>>
No one in the FOSS world has ever heard of good UX or focus testing. That's why it sucks.
>>
>>52633884
Why do people always comment on things they have no idea about as if they were an authority?
>>
>>52625077
Oh really? Because I have Linux installed and I can use my computer just fine
>>
File: 1448907715299.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1448907715299.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>52624809
>league
you had me until that point
>>
>>52629865
Thanks for the ugly dyke picture, im convinced
>>
>>52624809
>since 2009
that's cute
>>
>>52634369
The only guy that helped OP deleted his post, total kek.

>>52624809
useless fagget OP
>Hell be fine
>>
>>52624809
Reboot the box. Message me in game, Soraka Boat, I'll take my $100, and I'll tell you exactly why it happened. Spoiler: You were right. You just don't know why.
>>
>>52634401
Nah, I'm just feeling that kind of evil today. And maybe a little pissed he didn't try a reboot first.
>>
If you have been using linux since 2009, why didn't you convince people to play HoN instead of leage of legends?
It had linux support from the start, clearly better graphics and gameplay if you are into dota derivatives.
Or dota 2 which also work on linux although it came out a lot later.
3/4 of the dota clones work without problems, why did you choose the one that didn't work?
>>
>>52625077
which is why windows and osx exist. good job, you're the typical windows consumer and have no use for linux. what a special person
>>
>>52634568
Did you ever consider that people tend to make that selection based on what their friends already play? I know I did.
>>
>>52633059
Two posts above you.
>>52632922

Only thing I never got around to fixing was the latency from the emulated audio. I just bought a recent video card, so I'll probably start screwing with it again.
>>
>>52634600
My friends want to play games with me.
HoN and LoL came out around the same time. We quickly talked about which to go for and playing a game on both platforms, HoN was a clear win.
It did cost $10 dollars at the time but it was just more fun. and it worked on all machines.
>>
>playing league of lesbians
>not playing dota2
>not getting highest competitive prize money there is
>playing game with terrible game mechanics
>raging like a typical cancerous lol fag

yeah about that kid. if you don't understand what wine is, what it's based on and how it works and then complaining that linux is shit, just means that you are a dumb nigger-pseudo-neckbeard-jew

also -5/10
>>
>>52633175
Lmfao, please be trolling. Go read his reddit post about how it's set up + his follow up post on a more recent guide.
>>
>>52634568
Not OP, but I started playing LoL in beta and there were no similar games available (discounting DOTA, but the WC3 player base was waning).
When HoN finally came out, it was not free-to-play and DOTA2 was even later to the game.
Due to the above, all my habits formed around LoL.
I suppose I should check out HoN since Soraka keeps getting pushed further from healer support, but I don't play games much anymore.
>>
>>52624809
It is unfortunate that you're shit at using computers. It's also unfortunate that you like lol. Good luck anon. Hope the world is gentle with you.
>>
>>52624809
>>>/v/
Fuckoff
>>
>>52634751
Also not OP. You're making quite a few assumptions. Like many others (not here, but others), I have a day job. I'll just let that sink in for a moment. What this means is, of course I don't play for the highest competitive prizes, because I'm not a fucking South Korean autistic fucktard whose only marketable skill is League of Legends. It's just a game I play when I get off work to spend time with people whose company I enjoy, and that includes my champion.
>>
Play Heroes of Newerth, DoTA 2, or Heroes of the Storm instead.

LoL is the korean mmorpg of MOBAs and its garbage.
>>
>>52634835
I haven't played HoN in a long time but they made it free to play and the quality went down.
Back when it was free to play it didn't cost that much (I think it was $30 and went to sale really often to be $10)
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.