[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What desktop components are most important to a software developer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: me.jpg (24KB, 349x349px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
24KB, 349x349px
What desktop components are most important to a software developer?
>>
>>52585325
anus
>>
>>52585325

That depends.
>>
Ceramic capacitor sound card
>>
SSD
Comfy Keyboard/Mouse
RAM
CPU
>>
RAM, SSD, CPU, portrait mode monitor. Now fuck off you fucking shit eating cunt.
>>
best CPU you can get

an SSD

4K monitors

8GB ram minimum

any cherry mx blue or green mechanical keyboard

trackball mouse
>>
wifi to connect to le cloud
>>
>>52585382
>>52585407
>SSD
>software development
Strong buyer's remorse
>>
>>52585340
this
>>
>>52585325
4k monitors for workflow and scalability and a good processor for compile time.
>>
>>52585407
>>52585452
don't you need a decent GPU to even drive a 4k monitor?
>>
>>52585499
Well, if someone can afford a 4k monitor these days, certainly good GPU won't be a problem.
>>
>>52585586
4K monitors aren't really that expensive.
>>
>>52585586
My 4k was cheap

>>52585499
I run mine off a GTX 650. So not really. I don't play video games so theres that.
>>
>>52585434
>SSD
>not software development

An SSD is an active storage device. Meaning that its purpose is best utilized as a task oriented device, while it is absolute garbage as a long term storage device for archiving.

An HDD is a long term storage device. Meaning that its purpose is best utilized as an archiving oriented device due to the nature in which it stores data that doesn't require it to be plugged into a power-source to "charge" it frequently in order to retain all the data on it unlike an SSD. It also has a vastly longer durability in terms of data dissipation and this fact will never ever change between the SSD an HDD. Meanwhile, the HDD is garbage sewer shit for task oriented purposes due to shitty speed, and has less physical durability because its a mechanical device that stores data physically.

A tape drive is the same as an HDD, except the speeds are 1000 times worse, but data retention and durability is on a much higher level.

Cloud is for dumb cuck faggots who prefer not to have direct 24/7 access to their data and like paying a service to hold their data hostage.
>>
musk
>>
>>52585325
motherboard
psu
cpu
ram
monitor
keyboard
mouse
>>
File: elon musk was bald.jpg (539KB, 3972x1188px) Image search: [Google]
elon musk was bald.jpg
539KB, 3972x1188px
this is your reminder that elon musk used to be bald.
>>
>>52585763
Money does wonderful things
>>
you shutting the fuck up and a binary api
>>
AMD CPU's are better for anything related to programming/compiling/rendering

you really only buy intel CPUs for games unless you're spending ass loads of money
>>
>>52586002
>slower == better
>>
>>52586056
Get out.
>>
>>52585325

CPU and RAM.

Good keyboard too.

If you want to do some light gaming you can do that on the integrated GPU too.
If you dont listen to the retard talking about a 4k screen beeing important to coding.
>>
>>52586002
lol
Nvidia/Intel for programming. AMD shit is too buggy and their tiny market share makes it not worth optimizing for them.
>>
>>52586196
nobody cares
>>
>>52585325
Most professional programmers use Macs, so they don't care about internal components
>>
>>52585325
>software developer
Screen and keyboard.
>>
>>52585382
Ssd ? Why?
>>
>>52585325
A CD burner.
No.
A BLUERAY, CD burner. With lightscribe
>>
>>52585325
CPU, RAM.
>>
>>52585452
>Using C++
>>
A keyboard with ctrl, alt, super, and shift on each side
You do not need a numpad
No mouse, mice are fucking shit, stop taking your hand and moving a mile away from the keyboard you dumb fuck only gamer faggots need mice for their precision noscope 360 headshots. All you need is a track-pad/ball/point, since all you'll ever do is switch windows, click fuckhuge gooey buttons, and select arbitrary text when you're too lazy to /pattern in vim/emacs (or use vim/emacs). Keep that shit close to the keyboard, or built in to it.
Core 2 duo, 2gb RAM minimum (only gayme devs need more)
A minimum of 80 columns and 25 lines of text
The more 80x* columns you can fit on your screen the better. Do not go over 80 columns. Do not use languages and programming conventions that encourage going over 80 columns. Some of us want to read two files at once without going home and turning on three monitors (or toting around a 21" laptop).
>>
File: -mika-.jpg (83KB, 240x400px) Image search: [Google]
-mika-.jpg
83KB, 240x400px
>>52590000
Noice, now look at these
>>
>>52590000
>Core 2 duo, 2gb RAM minimum (only gayme devs need more)

So you hit Compile and then bill them for the hour it takes?
>>
>>52585325
RAM, at least 32GB in order to be able to simultaneously test a piece of software across all major operating systems.
>>
1. MONITOR
2. MONITOR
3. MONITOR
167. SSD
805. CPU and RAM

Nothing else matters.
>>
>>52590000
how can i use trackball without moving my hand away from keyboard?
>>
>>52585325
Working computer that's powerful enough to run smoothly any IDEs/emulators/whatever you have to run. Also, not-annoying keyboard, it's very subjective term though.
>>
>>52585325
mahogany surface and drawers for pens and stuff
>>
lmao at the people saying CPU, RAM, SSD... so easy to spot the Windows/Java/JavaScript babbies who need 10GB RAM and an i7 to start their IDE.

If you're not working on a code base as large as Linux or Chromium (and you fizzbuzz plebs don't), having a high-end PC is completely uneccesary. In fact I think most of the software today would be in a far better state if programmers were forced to use 5 year old HW.
>>
>>52585325
SSD
Good keyboard/mouse
More than enough RAM
i5 or better CPU
Dependable OS for the type of work you're doing
Good programs that just werk
Good coffee
>>
>>52590000
Literally autism.
>>
>>52590000
This is the truth, as the prophecy of consecutive digits foretold.
>>
>>52590249
desu senpai it's not a bad idea money wise
>>
Steelseries qck+
Logitech g502
Corsair strafe rgb
Kingston hyperx cloud
G skill sniper ram
>>
File: 20151120_140741.jpg (151KB, 433x591px) Image search: [Google]
20151120_140741.jpg
151KB, 433x591px
>>52590000
>If it's not my way then its the wrong way.
>>
A powerful CPU (to not have to wait hours for something to finish compiling) and a monitor with decent resolution (to be able to put at least two decent sized windows side by side for reference)

Everything else is just a matter of preference
>>
>>52585325
a fucking CPU fast enough to compile your shit without having the time to make a nap (basically, most of them).
a fucking decent amount of ram because you're probably a retard that will make a mistake and fill your ram in less than 10 seconds.
A fucking HDD with linux installed. SSD are fucking useless and you'll gain nothing having one.
A fucking GPU because good luck to use your computer without one.
A fucking monitor that haven't a fucking retarded ratio like 16:9. Or at least a screen that you can spin so you can actually read more than 10 fucking line of code.
A fucking keyboard that is comfy for you.
>>
>>52596665
And almost fucking quads.
>>
>>52596665

>without having the time to make a nap

only if working on non-corporate software
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.