[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are modern website designs getting so stupid? It's got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 14

File: 1.png (495KB, 1320x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
495KB, 1320x1384px
Why are modern website designs getting so stupid? It's got the point where I have to manually block half the page whenever I click on a news article with all the overlays and autoplaying videos that follow you even when you scroll down. This is late 90's tier shit that actually went away for a while when most websites started going for minimalist designs.
>>
>Find top 10 list
>It's a slideshow
>Except it's not
>Every single image is on a separate page.

Please don't.
>>
>>52530186
just stop visiting those sites
they're not worth your time
>>
>>52530220
Some times it requires you to enable javascript from their cdn in order to see their shitty slideshow.

Not worth it.
>>
>>52530239
4chan isn't worth my time but I come anyways

Same principle applies
>>
>>52530220

I don't even visit these for the momentary entertainment anymore.

>See mildly interesting Top 10 List in Facebook feed.
>"K".
>On my mobile device.
>It's 10, individual web pages.
>"Fuck, this is tedious."
>As soon as page loads, fullscreen ad. The "Close" button is somewhere on another device entirely.
>The "Next" button shifts around as the page assets load. Numerous time you'll try and hit "Next" when it fucking flies away and leaves an ad in it's trail. You tap the ad.

I'm done making those mistakes.
>>
>>52530270
4chan isn't rife with horrible formatting and TOP 10 SLIDESHOWS pretending to be articles.
>>
>>52530220
Only gets beaten by ads that pretend to be the 'next item' button
>>
>>52530270
See
>>52530296

At least 4chan respects you. The ads here are non intrusive and often amusing.
>>
File: before.png (559KB, 1331x668px) Image search: [Google]
before.png
559KB, 1331x668px
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. This isn't some niche bullshit website, this is mainstream news.
>>
http://www.apple.com/mac/

I hate how so many sites look like this now.

maybe not quite that bad, but who decided this was good design? you have to scroll like 20 pages to see everything. reminds me of that brief time when every page used flash for menus, etc., like some terrible fad.
>>
>browsing google news on phone with sound turned off
>click article, goes to cnn
>video autoplays somewhere on page, can't even see it
>starts playing audio
>block cnn's website in hosts file

what the flying fuck
>>
File: after.png (145KB, 1334x669px) Image search: [Google]
after.png
145KB, 1334x669px
>>52530330

Here it is after spending a few minutes making it readable by blocking elements.
>>
What ad network provides ads on 4chinz?

I turned off ublock but i got almost 30k addresses in /etc/hosts and I don't know which one it blocks
>>
>>52530343

Mobile website are the absolute worst. They all want you to use their app and there's always some other bullshit blocking half the screen.
>>
>>52530357
Forgot pic
>>
File: PMKYr7d.png (301KB, 610x609px) Image search: [Google]
PMKYr7d.png
301KB, 610x609px
>>52530270
>>
>>52530369
just whitelist these
@@||4chan-ads.org
@@||4chan-ads.org^$document
@@||4chan-ads.org/Advertisers/*
@@||4chan-ads.org^
@@||static.4chan-ads.org/Advertisers/*
@@4chan-ads.org^
@@static.4chan-ads.org/Advertisers/*
4cdn.org
4chan.org
>>
>ITT: idiots who think the developers make these decisions

These are driven by the marketing dept, and its not going to stop until the marketing bubble collapses, so shut up
>>
>>52530369
add this to your filters:
boards.4chan.org##.center
>>
>>52530357
>>52530369
>>52530391
ahh nevermind, i should've checked first.
i feel stupid
>>
>>52530372
>Enjoying your time on 4chan.

How nu r u?
>>
>>52530372
>"shoot me.. doodoodo doo.. shhhoot me... doodoo do doo... shhooot me"
>>
I do not like this recent trend of websites designed specifically for mobile, by making the content line up vertically and making me have to scroll for so many pages for so little content.

I don't fucking care about these fancy pictures and fancy wording. I want the information right in front of me and with less ambiguous bullshit.
>>
>>52530361
and then their mobile app is just a limited web browser anyway
>>
Send the articles through pocket, instapaper, readability or one of the 1000 similar projects to get a readable view.

Then read it on your phone while you're on the toilet. Or the doctor.

Or just stop visiting clickbait sites.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (69KB, 1248x612px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
69KB, 1248x612px
>>52530344
I think the thing I hate the most now is USA Today's look. Purposely designing your website to look like pop ups should not be a thing.
>>
File: 1448219807729.png (48KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1448219807729.png
48KB, 184x184px
>web design startup
>web site layout made for tablets
>all developers have iMacs
>some have iPads
>all have iPhones
>all projects are done by importing 3948739587 JS frameworks and outsourcing load time to clients
>mfw it's 2016 and reading blogs now drains more battery than playing WoW
>>
>>52530474
Also I forgot to mention web designers abusing "loading screens" and parallax scrolling.

It reminds me of this "Web 2.0/3.0" trend that was happening in the early-to-mid 2000s.
>>
>>52530441
shitposting deluxe since 2004
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et9b7LWfnxQ

Here you go, OP.
>>
>>52530284
>B-but you're supposed to install their special app, so everything is streamlined, anon.
>>
>>52530284
You don't use an adblocker on mobile? Why not?
>>
>click "view all"
>brings you to a page that you have to keep clicking "view more" or infinitely scroll down anyway with no indication of how many more items are left

>infinite scroll
>click on something
>go back one page
>you have to scroll back down to where you were
>>
>>52530866
Seriously, just as a desktop, you need one.
>>
>>52531296
>no in-site search
>ctrl f not working because not everything has been loaded yet
>scroll down to load more
>starting to lag
>scroll more
>lags even more
>ctrl f
>0 results found
>>
>>52530186
I keep java script disabled by setting IE security to high while browsing. On sites I know aren't too bad like 4chan I set security down to medium temporarily because it is required.
The scripts running on most web sites are outrageous.
>>
>>52530220
gotta maximise those ad impressions
>>
File: shit.png (673KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
673KB, 1920x1080px
>>52530344
Hey shithead, those ads pay for quality journalism like this. I hope you feel bad now.
>>
>>52530510

I actually feel uneasy browsing that website because of that shit. I don't know why it bothers me like that but it does.
>>
>>52530564
what's parallax scrolling?
>>
what really pisses me off are websites that block your screen and dim the background while showing a box that says shit like "LIKE US ON FACEBOOK! JOIN NOW!" etc etc.
>>
>>52532026
The worst part is how these horrible practices only necessitate more horrible practices. Running a 2005 site in 2015 nets you between 1/10th and 1/20th the value you saw with your 2005 website in 2005. The massive growth of the internet has sort of kept ad revenue relevant, but it can't be long before these kinds of ads will devalue enough to no longer be considered a viable way to fund your website.
>>
>Visit a web page for a recipe
>Page loads
>a second later a full screen login displays and tells me to log in to view the recipe
>inspect element and delete the div element taking up the whole screen
>>
>>52530309
I just wish the ads were less awkward when I have my friends over and have to explain to them 4chan's ads are not based on what I searched.
>>
>>52531939
> IE
>>
>>52530330
What is this fascist crap about our banlieues?
Stop visiting /pol/media.com if you don't want to be served with shit.
>>
>>52530564
>be unemployed graduate
>be okay at coding and design, but don't excel in either area
>Web design seems like a good choice for my skills
>do some tutorials and make a nice simple static web page from scratch
>looking to build portfolio, browse examples online
>it's all over-designed hipster twaddle with scrolling backgrounds, pretentious font choices, confusing layouts
>every designer follows the exact same trends
>afaik everyone just fills premade templates with their text/pictures and calls it a day

Not sure what I got myself into here.
>>
>>52531939
Enjoy your XP
>>
>>52532898
Look into GUI programming. UI/UX seems like a potentially fulfilling field with good demand.
>>
>>52530186
Looks fine to me
>>
>>52532960
The only GUIs that exist anymore are web apps and mobile apps, and I have a hunch mobile apps are going to be HTML/CSS/JS in the future.
>>
>>52532894
There is nothing good left in these crime riddled shithole.
Dont even try to deny this.
>>
>>52533023
>crime riddled shithole.
Nigga the only crime going on in Paris is how slow the millions of fucking tourists are walking.
This is "think of the children"-tier bullshit, I literally live in there.
>>
File: 1449082717436.jpg (59KB, 590x479px) Image search: [Google]
1449082717436.jpg
59KB, 590x479px
>We see you're using adblock. Please consider disabling adblock for this website so we can afford to provide you with more great content.
>This page will load once adblock has been disabled.
>>
>>52532996
That's not necessarily true. I/we just published a program for desktops exclusively. The PC market might be overshadowed by mobile, but it's still a huge market and a staple in business. Anything you can't do on mobile, you'll do on PCs.
>>
>>52532856
I avoid Firefox because of what happened to B. Eich and the Google browser I hear is a botnet, so IE 11 for now until I find something better. IE 11 without running Java Script isn't bad.
>>
>>52532168
I didn't think I got that cold in Georgia
>>
>>52533061
funny how entitled everyone acts. honestly, the only sites you need adblock are the ones not worth going to to begin with.
>>
>>52533050
Only Parisians like this city. I dont know why or how.
Liking a city full of hipsters, liberals and immigrants is beyond me.
>>
>>52533061
>we see adblock is enabled, please disable to view the site
>do a 360 and walk away

Get tae fuck. Stop shoving obnoxious ads in my face.
>>
File: tribal.png (195KB, 922x1390px) Image search: [Google]
tribal.png
195KB, 922x1390px
>>52533097
I bet you hate "jews" and "sandniggers" too because the hivemind told you to.
You remind me of those sad people that have no personnality outside of hating other groups of people.
>>
>>52533079
Except PCs are now going to cloud/webapp/thin clients. Even desktop "programs" are just going to be webapps soon.
>>
>>52533187
Sorry Ânon, I dont like seeing France (and the whole Europe) turning into a shithole.

I dont like the fact that minorities dont commit most of crimes. And I dont like the fact that Europe is dying. Keep projecting though.
>>
>>52533187

Cmon Muhammad, that's enough shitposting for today. It's prayer time now.
>>
>>52533257
>muh statistics
>>
>>52533257
Europe is not dying, we're actually doing much better than China's collapsing markets and the US's crippling bottomless debt, thank you.
Sounds like you're just a pussy scared of the mean minorities :'(
Careful, or they're gonna steal your job and kill your family.

>>52533262
Jokes on you I'm so white I can get sunburn in Winter.
>>
>>52533335
>muh truth
>muh I can't deal with reality without using mêmes
>muh denial face
>>
>>52532168
that's just southern dialect.
>>
>>52533351
>implying they're a minority anymore.

whites are the minority.
>>
>desktop and mobile use the exact same web site
>they just scale everything for each display
Here's looking at you grubhub
>>
>>52533351
Nice, a whole continet is doing better than China.
No worries about jobs. There won't be any left because of robots, and these immigrants are the dumbest .
I would worry more about the enrichment that's coming for Europe.
>>
>>52533351
>minorities

How much time before they become the majority ?
>>
>>52533420
>>52533471
You're scarred of nothing, bitch. Look up the fucking stats.

We're 61 million people in metropolitan France, with 5 million immigrants who made 6 million children.
That's 11 million immigrants for 61 million white people, 80% white people.

If we were at least at 50 I might not call you a moron, but in my country 80% is called a fucking majority.

>>52533446
It's a good time to get into tech; and I'm not talking about the webdev monkeys that can be replaced by a wordpress template picker.
>>
http://everyfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
I just use noscript, and if I can't make a site function by whitelisting 3 urls or fewer, I move on.
>>
>>52533527
Let's see how things will go on the next 30 years.
If everything goes down, at least you will see you were wrong when you will be beheaded by the people you defended.
>>
>Access mobile website
>Only has half the content of the desktop one
>Toggle desktop view
>Nothing happens
Why do companies do this? Why would they actively block viewing the desktop site in my phone?
>>
>>52533527
Nice, turning Europe into a shithole to get a tech job. Good trade off.
>>
File: noadspls.png (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
noadspls.png
26KB, 640x480px
>>52530186
>>
>>52533661
Use a user agent switcher. So many assholes think going to desktop mode shouldn't fucking take you to the desktop version.
>>
>>52532799
Why do websites do this? Why the fuck do I need to make an account, especially if it's free, just to access content on your website? Seriously, do these morons just love filling up their databases with throwaway accounts that are only going to be used once?

I encountered this today while trying to download an old version of Java Runtime Environment to test something at work. Fucking Oracle won't let you download an old version without making an account, so I had to waste 3 minutes typing a bunch of expletives into every goddamn required field just so I could get the installer. And then I hit submit and find out that I have to put a capital letter and a number in my password to continue. Fucking hell.

Why do they make it so difficult for me to just get the thing I came for? I don't want to be part of your community, I just want to get what I need and leave.
>>
>>52530186
That's not what modern website design is.

If you want that just go adobe.com and you'll see.
>>
http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
>>52535398
>adobe.com
http://everyfuckingwebsite.com
>>
>>52535252
You have entitlement issues.
>>
>>52535587
I just hate people who waste my time with pointless bullshit.
>>
>>52535675
You feel entitled to what's on their website despite the fact that they have no obligation to provide you with service.
>>
>>52535442
that site is fucking garbage.

no, white space and grey text is not better, fuck yourself.
>>
>>52535699
If they want me to use their product, they should make it easy for me to get to it. Normally when I get in that situation, I just say fuck it and leave. The only reason I didn't this time was because I needed it for work.
>>
>>52535831
Clearly, you need them more than they need you.
You're at their mercy.
Play by their rules or go home.
>>
File: Choke on a bag of dicks.png (70KB, 1920x549px) Image search: [Google]
Choke on a bag of dicks.png
70KB, 1920x549px
>>52533061
>>52533096
>Try to read an article on Forbes
>Says to please disable my Ad-Blocker in return for an ad-light browsing experience
>Sure, why not
>Disable ABP for Forbes.com
>pic related

Guess I'm never going to Forbes again. Fuck every site that does this.
>>
>>52536586

There's actually an adblocker hider addon that supposed to hide that you have an adblocker from websites but it doesn't work half the time. Just the fact that it's becoming needed is getting ridiculous.
>>
>>52536586
>>Disable ABP for Forbes.com
lol
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160111/05574633295/forbes-site-after-begging-you-turn-off-adblocker-serves-up-steaming-pile-malware-ads.shtml
>>
>>52536586
Forbes's website is completely retarded and upsets me.
>>
>>52535252
This is an issue that me and my coworkers have talked about before during lunch.
What companies don't seem to realize is that the consumer doesn't want to "use" the product, we (the consumers) just want the end-result that comes from using the product.

The process between what you want and getting it is a necessary evil, and the "product/service" facilitates this.

There's also a really good article about it: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/01/nobody-wants-use-your-product/
>>
>>52532659
A type of web design method that has the background elements of the webpage lags a bit behind the foreground elements while scrolling.

It's used in videogames too (mainly 2D sidescrolling platformers) to create some illusion of depth. There's a lot of layers to help achieve this.

If you've played a lot of SNES games you'll know what I mean.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.