[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /g/, Im kinda looking for advice at the moment. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1442114195760-1.jpg (7KB, 252x249px) Image search: [Google]
1442114195760-1.jpg
7KB, 252x249px
Sup /g/, Im kinda looking for advice at the moment. I'm a 19 y/o community college student (bc poor) who studying computer science. I'm three semesters from graduating with my degree before I transfer to Virginia tech to obtain my bachelors degree. But over the past year (and this might be because my school and its teachers suck idk) I've kinda noticed that what I'm studying is pretty boring to me. I haven't exactly run accross anything yet pertaining to my field of study that has clicked with me that I can say "I absolutely am comfortable doing this for a career." I have a friend who's also studying computer science who's been telling me that there are basicly only two major paths to take that would pay the highest: cyber security/network security and programming. I've taken a C++ class that I didnt find to be all that interesting but I havent taken anything relating to security. Could anyone give me some advice on why sticking with my major is most beneficial and what other options I might have in it?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Lemme
Guess you go to NOVA don't you
>>
I guess it all comes down to this. Are you more of a hands on physical guy? Then networking, if not then programming. Also there's more to programming than C++. Try python imo, it's fairly easy to learn and you can get to actually programming stuff faster.
>>
>>52520568
Not even close. Its a small country town at the very bottom of Virginia called martinsville
>>
>>52520572
I might be more of a hands on guy I don't really know, I haven't had much experience doing much. I had a workstudy position last semester that didn't expose me to much other then fixing a few printers here and there.
>>
>>52520598
>I might be more of a hands on guy I don't really know,
I'm talking about IRL stuff not necessarily IT related. Do you like the ideea of woodworking? Of assembling things? Stuff like that?
>>
English is encouraged. Please translate your post.
>>
>>52520685
I don't like blue-collar things. Manual labor jobs and retail/food service jobs have all I've done my whole life. So I suppose no in that aspect I'm not.
>>
I'm a cyber security major and literally found my niche in life. All the shit they do in Hollywood movies is what we do in real life. And the great thing about cyber security is how much you can do with it. I am going into law enforcement for white collar crime but you can do so much other stuff. Being a programmer is fun I guess if you like to create stuff but if security is an interest to you I would definitely get your feet wet in some cyber security related classes.
>>
>>52520808
Could you tell me more?
>>
File: hard_reset.gif (409KB, 410x230px) Image search: [Google]
hard_reset.gif
409KB, 410x230px
>>52520808
>All the shit they do in Hollywood movies is what we do in real life.
>>
>>52520830
What questions do you have?
>>52520916
Ok I exaggerated. But I did get to work with an fbi agent during an internship. It is a lot of fun and can be stressful when shit goes down. Especially if someone is trying to steal company data and you're the only one that knows how to tell who it is.
>>
>>52520965
Do you feel financially secure? Also what area do you live in and how long did you have your degree before you found your job.
>>
>>52521013
Depends what you are getting into. I started at 80k as a network and evidence analyst. Took about a year to get this job through the hiring process and all. I had experience when I graduated so that definitely helped. You need to really be into this field. It's a lot of long hours sometimes but you remember how much you love what you do.. The paycheck is just a bonus.
>>
>>52520808
>cyber security major
what the fuck does that even mean. Like I don't understand how this degree is different from other networking degrees.

>>52520542
Idk man, I've had some real boring jobs and I have to say networking is more rewarding than other things I've done.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.